Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 24, 2015 4:58 AM

Mar 2012
Skip to the bottom of you don't want to read my rant.

I'm fed up of watching and reading manga where the female characters are being treated as being weak and vulnerable for the male MC to save/protect. It was something I didn't mind at first but it didn't take me long to notice the same consistent pattern. It's not that it's a bad thing but it seems really overused to the point I've become irrated and stop watching anime for a time . I guess a lot of what I've read and watched is shounen and they tend to be based of lots of light novels which places the female character into this insignificant tsundere role or exist mearly to make the male MC look better or as fanservice l. I tried reading a few Josei and shoujo as well, but most I have seen/watched involve the female fawning over a guy or somehow meets this ideal guy out of nowhere like some whiteknight and only shows their flaws/ weaknesses when the plot deems it convenient as a method of getting sympathy from the female MC.

When I say strong female lead, I mean someone who isn't a pushover, someone who doesn't just suddenly falls in love within 10 chapters or 5 episodes, none of this childhood friend bullshit and, a lead who is generally likeable who has quirks and flaws like anybody else and grows as the story progresses further. Of course there are times when the MC is vulnerable but I want to see it used well and appropriately.
Obviously preferring a romance/slice of life to be in the genre but I wouldn't mind if it was just a sub plot, as long as the story is good. I'd prefer if the romantic interest isn't someone who's not too much of a whiteknight.
As a frame of reference here are some manga which I've started reading and are not that bad
Kono oto tomare
Again!! Parts of it were annoying but I could live with it
Noragami. I like yato and yuki' character developments
Koe no katachi. Strong pair of MC's it's nice to see their interactions and behaviour with one another to see the male character's inner monlogues.
Shigatsu wa kimi no uso. Personally not my thing with the art but I've been reading and th story so far is good.
Ao haru ride. Decent, there were parts which I found extremely annoying.

Any suggestions are fine and I'll take them in consideration. Thnx in advance
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2015 5:07 AM
Apr 2013
Anime:

Cross Game
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Jan 24, 2015 5:18 AM

Feb 2013
manga:

Last Game
GE: Good ending
Orange Marmalade

anime: i cant think of any to hit the requierenments
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Jan 24, 2015 9:02 AM

May 2012
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Seirei no Moribito - not much romance though
Claymore
Shion no Ou
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Jan 24, 2015 11:28 AM

Jan 2015
Cant believe ghost in shell hasn't been mentioned.

Watch the movies first IMO.

They're so great. The show is good, but the first movie imo is sugoi
Jan 24, 2015 11:35 AM

Nov 2014
Maybe Angel Beats. It's not perfect, but it has very strong female characters who don't take shit from anyone. And Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica is an artsy psychological "magic girl" anime where strong female characters take center stage.
Jan 24, 2015 12:11 PM

Sep 2013
Durarara
Kyoukai no Kanata
Jan 24, 2015 12:13 PM

Sep 2013
Durarara
Kyoukai no Kanata
Jan 24, 2015 12:13 PM

Jan 2015
+1 Seirei no Moribito
+1 Claymore
Tehqo said:
I have no clue what The Devil is a Part-timer. But I'm guessing it has to do with a devil, being a part timer. xd

You can watch Hataraku Maou-Sama!
It's about the devil Satan, who is a part timer in Mcdonald...
Jan 24, 2015 1:05 PM

Apr 2014
titandick said:
Durarara
Kyoukai no Kanata
Why double post? Also, Durarara doesn't have a female lead.
Jan 24, 2015 1:26 PM
Jan 2015
Chihayafuru-strong female character with a lot of willpower, while being quirky as well.
Bamboo Blade-another sports anime (kendo) with a very strong main character

I agree: I don't like anime (or western movies) in which a woman just exists for romance. Even more annoying are films/anime with a female main character that starts promising, but gets dragged down by an obligatory romance plot. I'd rather have no romance than that.
Jan 24, 2015 1:40 PM
Jan 2014
Maid-sama
Jan 24, 2015 2:14 PM

Nov 2009
The strongest female leads (In my opinion at least) that I have come across actually don't usually come in the "romance" genre. Their is actually probably a very simple reason for this but not going to make an assumption since it could just as well be very wrong. So with that being said I'll try and give a few romance with "well-developed" female leads (they aren't push overs atleast).

Anime

Manga

My two favorite female leads out of the series I recommended were Erin from Kemono no Souja Erin and Nausicaa from Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä, however since neither of those have romance, I would say the most likely one for you to like out of the ones I listed would be Kimi wa Pet.
Jan 27, 2015 1:04 PM
Jan 27, 2015 7:26 PM

May 2012
Beagoodsport said:
Chihayafuru-strong female character with a lot of willpower, while being quirky as well.

I didn't mention Chihayafuru before because it involves childhood friends. I don't like that trope either, but I didn't care about it in the case of this show. It's still terrific.
Feb 16, 2015 1:38 PM

Mar 2012
Thnx for the input guys. Trying out ghost in the shell and reading kimi wa pet. They're both pretty decent.
May 30, 2015 5:56 AM
May 2015
Hot blooded woman, he's dedicated to roses, basara, Tokyo crazy paradise, the one

I think these manga fits you because we are both looking for the same kind of manga too.
Jun 2, 2015 9:20 AM
Nov 2012
Whoa, whoa. It's been a few months but tell me you've read Oresama Teacher, 1/2 Prince, and Song of the Long March?!
Jul 18, 2015 12:12 PM
Jul 2015
I have watch several anime with a strong female lead.
Last game- the girl is a bit superior than the boy. It has good romance. If you want a cool and smart female lead you should definitely watch this.
Saiunkoko Monogatari- a historic anime. This anime also has a smart female lead. It also has love triangle that makes you enjoy and look forward for the next episode since the girl is picky or didn't want to decide.
Kaichou Wa Maid Sama- a good anime although the boy is a bit superior than the girl. It has a nice plot and she didnt fall in love with him easily.

bea_marie_alejoJul 18, 2015 12:15 PM
Jul 29, 2015 1:45 PM
Feb 2015
Boys over flowers
she gets saved sometimes but she is strong and knows when to fight.
Jul 29, 2015 2:38 PM

Mar 2015
Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex series + movies
Black Lagoon
Canaan
Elfen Lied
Kara No Kyoukai movies
Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles
Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster (if you don't mind old anime this came out in 1989)
Jul 29, 2015 6:59 PM
Sep 2014
I'm not sure if she counts as a lead, but Revy from Black Lagoon is one of my favorite female characters in anime/manga. She technically isn't the protagonist, but there's a huge amount of the content that revolves around her, and she's very much a main character. She's just amazing and is someone you don't want to mess with. She isn't a pushover by any means and does much of the saving for the male MC. In this series, the guy ends up being the damsel in distress, and as a guy, I find that to be sexy as hell.

Claymore maybe? Series revolving around a female warrior.

Unfortunately, I'm not too knowledgeable about this.
Jul 29, 2015 11:26 PM

Apr 2015
Have you seen Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series?
Really strong, charming, dense, ''befriending" MC.
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Jul 30, 2015 12:11 AM

Aug 2013
Smooki said:
manga:
Last Game

+1
Aug 18, 2015 3:01 PM
Aug 2015
OP, your rant is spot on. I like shoujo manga but am often frustrated by the weak female MC. I can vouch for some of the recommendations here, as well as add some of my own:

- Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Koku)! The female lead started out weak but throughout her journey she became AWESOME :D

- Psychopass also has a female MC that grew strong over the course of the series.

- AnoHana: normal female MCs that are thankfully not push-overs (she's meek, but not weak).

- Chihayafuru (so great!! one can argue that her actions are motivated by romance, but she by no means lets the romance interferes with her dream),

- Skip Beat (fantastic, independent main girl),

- Cross Game (or anything by this mangaka; his female characters are always very down to earth and spunky),

- Madoka Magica (strong-willed, brave girls, somewhat typical personality but thankfully no romance so no push-overs here),

- Boys over flowers (she's outwardly defiant and spunky but sometimes she can be really dumb -_- still better than loads of girl MCs out there though),

- Saiunkoku monogatari: really fun female MC who's smart and determined; only a tiny bit of romance

- Seirei no moribito: strong (physically and emotionally) female MC who's a badass!

- Nodame Cantabile: I love this series to pieces, although Nodame (the main girl) is not so much strong as extremely weird hahaha but she is definitely not weak!

- Akatsuki no yona: lots of character growth here too! she's strong in her own ways :)
Thanks to others for their own recs, off to read some more mangas with strong female characters!
nhynAug 19, 2015 2:24 PM
Aug 18, 2015 3:02 PM

May 2013
+1 Akatsuki no Yona
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 18, 2015 5:51 PM
Aug 2015
Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo http://myanimelist.net/anime/25731/Cross_Ange:_Tenshi_to_Ryuu_no_Rondo
A lot of the females in this anime are no pushovers; while the MC does fall for a guy, and while she does have her weaknesses, she has a strong character which develops over the course of the anime.

Kill la kill: http://myanimelist.net/anime/18679/Kill_la_Kill
My very first anime, so it holds a special place in my heart. Can't believe no one mentioned this one yet :p But anyway, the MC is one of the best IMO. There is that right balance between comedy and action, so it's pretty much enjoyable. My words will not do justice as to how she grows over time, so it's best to watch it yourself =)

OP: Thanks for this post, I'm also quite sick of females being portrayed as being needy and weak :)
AnyhowclickAug 18, 2015 5:58 PM
Aug 18, 2015 5:59 PM

May 2012
claymore
jormungand
kill la kill
medaka box
michiko to hatchin
vividred operation
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Aug 18, 2015 6:12 PM

May 2015
Mirai Nikki is pretty much centered around a girl.
souda is life
Aug 18, 2015 6:15 PM
Aug 2015
every harem
Aug 18, 2015 6:18 PM

May 2015
+1 Kill la Kill
Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay

Nov 10, 2015 10:17 PM
Jun 2015
Chang Ge Xing (a.k.a. Song of the Long March):
Chang An in the Tang Dynasty of China (618-907): The demon star is passing through the sky, calamity is about to befall the Tang Dynasty - because of a woman.

Saver:
Lena Ha is a beautiful and tough girl who is the captain of the kendo team. After falling into a strange body of water, she finds herself in a strange kingdom... and learns that she may be its only hope. Left with few options, Lena is forced to disguise herself as a man.

Toshokan Sensou: Love & War:
During the 31st year of Seika, the battle between the Library Force and the Media Improvement Committee reached a new level of violence. Each group has armed itself for either the freedom of expression or the "protection" of society from the bad influences of media.

Kasahara Iku joins the Library Force with the intent of finding her "Prince" who helped her during a censorship exercise by the Media Improvement Committee and with her strong will of protecting books.

Ciel ~ The Last Autumn Story:
A beautiful girl named Yvienne Magnolia flees to Lowood Institution for wizardry and witchcraft she would have never thought about going to, leaving behind her family. She never knew what her future would be, since it is destined too high to even imagine...

Basara:
Born under a prophecy that will liberate and unite Japan, Sarasa has had to take her brother Tatara's place as the "Boy of Destiny." Fighting for the oppressed, Sarasa journeys across Japan to gain allies and defeat her enemies--all while keeping her identity a secret!

Qishi Huanxiang Ye:
Lin is just an ordinary high school student. But on the day she transfers to a new school, she gets a video game, which sends her to the world of King Arthur. There, she meets a mysterious wizard who tells her that her mission is to find and gather the Knights of the Round Table.

Sengoku Strays:
Kasane is your average kendo-obsessed girl, when a brush with a mysterious sword sends her back in time to the Sengoku Era. Stuck in an unfamiliar time and place, Kasane also has the poor luck of winding up right in the middle of the turmoil that surrounded Oda Nobunaga's rise to power!

Absolute Witch:
Skyla is a young witch in a world where witches no longer exist. On her way to meet her husband she is picked up by an easily bored old woman and her servant, and a mysterious alchemist.

Joou no Hana:
Princess Aki is banished to her mother's home country, Kou, after outshining the prince in a hunting contest. Along with her foreign slave, Hakusei, she vows to return to the Kingdom of Ah for revenge in the near future.
Nov 10, 2015 11:32 PM

Sep 2015
Watch Lovely complex
It's the best romcom there is and Koizumi is great!

Forget the shonen genre if you want romance but it's got good action anime with female leads like Claymore or Black Lagoon.
Nov 11, 2015 7:21 AM

Dec 2014
Strong female leads from various genres, containing both old and new anime:

-Snow White With the Red Hair
-Hell Girl
-Slayers
-Vampire Princess Miyu
-Ronja the Robber's Daughter (needs rescuing occasionally because she is a small child, but is still strong and independant)
-Katri Girl of the Meadows (also needs rescuing occasionally because she is a small child, but like Ronja is still strong and independant)
-Yona of the Dawn (starts out weak and helpless, but grows into a fighter in her own right and the journey is worth watching)
Shakugan no Shana (this one is geared towards males so there's some fanservice, although not from the female lead)
Nov 11, 2015 12:57 PM

Nov 2014
Kara no Kyoukai. Shiki Ryougi is one of the best developed characters imo, and she's a badass as well.
Nov 11, 2015 1:33 PM

May 2014
Top wo Nerae 2 Diebuster.

Nono and Lal'c are the most powerful female characters
Nov 11, 2015 1:38 PM

Feb 2015
Chihayafuru
Nov 11, 2015 1:43 PM
Apr 2011
Yona of the Dawn, Michiko to Hatchin, Gunslinger Girl, Black Rock Shooter, Seirei no Moribito, Psycho Pass and Hell Girl. Definitely Hell Girl.
Nov 11, 2015 1:53 PM

Sep 2014
Rose of Versailles
Nov 11, 2015 8:29 PM
Aug 2015
Kaichou wa Maid-sama - Misaki
Soul Eater - Maka
Gurren Lagann - Yoko
Modoka Magica - all of the girls
Angel Beats - multiple chars
Skip Beat - Kyoko
High School of the Dead - Saeko
And let's not forget the obvious - Sailor Moon
Nov 12, 2015 12:18 AM
Dec 2011
Berserk
Nov 12, 2015 6:45 PM
Sep 2015
YONA from YONA of the dawn
Nov 24, 2015 10:59 PM
Nov 2015
Oresama Teacher
Takane to Hana
Akagami no Shirayukihime
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
Nekota no Koto ga ni Natte Shikatanai
Mizutama Honey Boy
Ookami-heika no Hanayome
Akatsuki no Yona
I loved the heroines in all of these, they weren't weak or needed to save all the time
Dec 27, 2015 11:13 AM
Dec 2015
Mai HiME
Kill la kill
Claymore
Black Lagoon
Dec 29, 2015 6:08 AM

Aug 2014
no idea if the TS still following this thread, but the latest reply are just yesterday, and frankly, this is also a good source of information for me when i'm looking for something new to watch/read

so i'll help add more suggestion, lets see...

so, we looking for strong female character, preferably a lead, romance related,
and no Childhood friend tag, this is quite hard actually, considering most anime today only span 1 season (12 Episode)

(M) Manga (A) Anime (MA) Both

(MA) Magi - Morgiana, it took more than half the series for her to start dealing with romance

(MA) Prison School - Midorikawa Hana, maybe if you like weird kinky violent girl that have no idea how to deal with her first romance

(M) Tokyo ESP - Urushiba Rinka, lead, total badass, more ocused on the action than the romance though

(MA) Silver Spoon/Gin no Saji - Mikage Aki, strong willed, not wimpy, hard worker, late romance, not a childhood friend, i think this one fit the criteria the most

(MA) Bakuman - Azuki Miho, another strong willed hardworker character, not a childhood friend, i don't know if her romance can be called "fall in love within X episode" because her romance story span for the whole series without an exact "fall in love scene"

(MA) Binbougami Ga - Sakura Ichiko, lead, strong willed, not perfect, late romance, fun as hell

(A) Kill la Kill - Ryuko Matoi, a story about a total badass girl, no romance though

(A) Tengen Toppa Gurren lagann - Yoko Littner, strong badass sniper girl with romance coming later in the stories

(A) Oda Nobuna no Yabou - Oda Nobuna, Lead, female warrior, late romance

(MA) Durarara Celty Sturluson, lead (arguably, the title Durara come from Dullahan, that's her), nice story, badass, confusing storytelling though

(A) Kokoro Connect - Inaba Himeko, Strong willed, Late romance, Nice Story

(A) Oregairu - 2 Female lead, strong solid personality, Had the best character progress in my opinion

(MA) Soul Eater - Maka Albarn, Lead, Strong, epic story, Nice Romance, Full Action

not including overhyped Big anime like Fate Series, SAO, Tokyo Ghoul or AoT, even if there's nice strong female character there, chance are people already know them anyway
Jan 9, 2016 9:05 PM
Jan 2016
Suna no Bara - Although there's no romance in it, the female characters are badass women who show that they are way better than the men who underestimate them.
Jan 9, 2016 9:19 PM

Sep 2014
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Soul Eater
Jan 9, 2016 9:35 PM

Sep 2014
The Legend of Condor Hero(It's more of a co-lead thing, and they both save each other)

Saiunkoku Monogatari

Shadow Skill

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit

Hanasakeru Seishounen

Victorian romance emma

Busou Renkin

Kemono no souja erin

The Twelve Kingdoms
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime where guy hits girl back

Borito_Uzumaki - May 6, 2017

47 by BroDa2545 »»
9 minutes ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 2 hours ago

1 by Ohayotaku »»
24 minutes ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

72 by traed »»
2 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

5 by Deserada »»
2 hours ago

» Anime male character not abused by female characters

EleganteX - Aug 15, 2015

21 by mo_lave »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.