Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2015 9:05 PM
Feb 2014
Jesus Christ this is just gonna get more and more edgy isn't it. At least it's eye candy but the "serious" presentation of a story like this is just awful. Start of first season showed much more potential for this series
Jan 9, 2015 9:13 PM

Aug 2014
Well, I really liked the ED. And this episode was kinda... atmospheric, I don't know. Still far from great, but better than almost everything the first season offered, I guess.

I wished I had enjoyed this episode as much as this guy...
Jan 9, 2015 9:15 PM

Feb 2012
i like how this goes more than i liked it in the manga? you go kaneki. hell yeah
Jan 9, 2015 9:17 PM

Apr 2014
OP looked and sounded more like an ED to me.
This episode was a better ending episode than the last episode of the first one.
ED was nice.
Looking forward to more.
I say "I'm speechless" to tell you I want to say something though am not sure how...
Jan 9, 2015 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
I loved the ost when Kaneki was walking away from Touka, tbh i preferred the manga mainly because the bones part.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 9, 2015 9:48 PM

Oct 2010
This development pleases me. Kaneki being the badass I always knew he was.
Jan 9, 2015 9:52 PM

Apr 2012
The fact that this takes an alternate route from the manga actually gives me reason to watch it.

I hope he takes over Aogiri.
Jan 9, 2015 9:55 PM

Jun 2014
swith the opening with the ending
Jan 9, 2015 10:11 PM

Aug 2008
Harima_Ray said:
what happened to my manga story agjdlsfhldrhg
guess i should get used to the fact its not going to be like the manga

i didnt really like the OP of course its nothing compared to unravel
ahhhh still wish it followed the manga i totally didnt know its not following till i watched the ep DFH:D:FGH:
Oddyeus said:
The fact that this takes an alternate route from the manga actually gives me reason to watch it.

I hope he takes over Aogiri.

Wait what? So this is going anime original route already?
ZapredonJan 9, 2015 10:19 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 9, 2015 10:15 PM

May 2014
holy shit, Kaneki joined the dark side 0_0 cant wait for the next ep
Jan 9, 2015 10:19 PM

Aug 2009
Amazing episode.

Kaneki is so awesome.
Jan 9, 2015 10:41 PM

Apr 2013
Didn't like it.

baki502 said:
Cause said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette_syndrome

Still doesnt explain how his previously ripped of nails grew back with black nail polish on them in like a few hours.

Or, instead of black nail polish, they just grew back rotted due to overuse of regeneration.
Jan 9, 2015 11:24 PM

Jun 2012
The episode was great but the OP killed me.
Also, I like Kaneki better this way. I couldn't believe that plot twist though. Wow
Just waiting y’know...for death. If you also are waiting for sweet death...cool (・u・)
My list that has slightly more watched than PTW anime.
Jan 9, 2015 11:28 PM
Aug 2013
Why does everyone care about the OP? Looking through these posts everyone's like "OP sucks, decent episode, badass Kaneki".

Who cares about the OP honestly. I watch it the first time and then skip it every episode after, for every anime. Time is the ultimate non-renewable resource, and I'm not about to spend it re-watching the same 1 min 30 sec sequence over and over again. Geez.

Otherwise, that was a pretty good start to season 2, I like the idea of Kaneki "joining up" with the bad guys.
Jan 9, 2015 11:40 PM

Nov 2012
OKAY SINCE EVERYONE WHO READ MANGA KEEP SAYING "WTH HAPPENED WITH MANGA ROUTE" I WILL WRITE IN CAPSLOCK.

TOKYO GHOUL A WENT ORIGINAL ROUTE , IT WAS DECIDED BY ISHIDA-SENSEI HIMSELF AND HE IS THE ONE WRITING THE SCRIPT SO IT'S STILL CANON.

GODDAMNIT DON'T SAY IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FOLLOW MANGA THE MANGAKA HIMSELF REMAKE IT !!
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Jan 10, 2015 12:18 AM

May 2013
So badass when he fought Ayato. The way Kaneki talks now is so deep in logic. He left Anteiku and now joins Aogiri. I don't know if it's the right one, but I look forward for the plans and actions he's going to take.

I feel like this should have been the last episode for Season 1. If it did, I would have scored it higher than what it is now. Seriously! Oh my god! The first episode was intensely awesome!
Jan 10, 2015 12:24 AM

Nov 2010
I think it's called Root (route) A because this was the creator's original idea but he ended up going with whatever happened in the manga. So this is route A and the manga is route B.
Jan 10, 2015 12:41 AM

Aug 2008
WorldInverse said:
OKAY SINCE EVERYONE WHO READ MANGA KEEP SAYING "WTH HAPPENED WITH MANGA ROUTE" I WILL WRITE IN CAPSLOCK.

TOKYO GHOUL A WENT ORIGINAL ROUTE , IT WAS DECIDED BY ISHIDA-SENSEI HIMSELF AND HE IS THE ONE WRITING THE SCRIPT SO IT'S STILL CANON.

GODDAMNIT DON'T SAY IT SUCKS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FOLLOW MANGA THE MANGAKA HIMSELF REMAKE IT !!

So it's like FSN where we have different route/ending? One in manga and another one in anime.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 10, 2015 1:02 AM

Nov 2014
TG82 said:
Why does everyone care about the OP? Looking through these posts everyone's like "OP sucks, decent episode, badass Kaneki".

Who cares about the OP honestly. I watch it the first time and then skip it every episode after, for every anime. Time is the ultimate non-renewable resource, and I'm not about to spend it re-watching the same 1 min 30 sec sequence over and over again. Geez.

Otherwise, that was a pretty good start to season 2, I like the idea of Kaneki "joining up" with the bad guys.

If you truly valued time that much you would not be using it to watch anime nor to post on online forums.And you might say that you are spending it on anime for entertainment.The OP is a source of entertainment as well.
Jan 10, 2015 1:11 AM
Aug 2013
BlueTurtleMaster said:
Im wondering how different this is from the manga since i havent read it. tht Toka reaching out moment though, im hoping she doesnt become a supporting character

Im wondering that too , apparently its not the same at all , but hell I still love how they turned out the whole shit and made him join the others ghouls , I dont see much how he would have developped if he stayed at the antique. And Yea I dont think toka is gonna become less important but maybe we'll see more of her brother huehuehuehue
Jan 10, 2015 1:16 AM

Oct 2011
WorldInverse said:

Ishida-sensei didn't "remake" it. He chosed different route, but we still have manga-canon and anime-canon and anime is additional to manga, not the other way.
Jan 10, 2015 1:55 AM

Aug 2008
Earame said:

Ishida-sensei didn't "remake" it. He chosed different route, but we still have manga-canon and anime-canon and anime is additional to manga, not the other way.

So this anime is just extra icing on cake or something like that?

So am I suppose to treat this as extra icing on the cake or something like FSN where you got different route/ending.
ZapredonJan 10, 2015 2:13 AM

Jan 10, 2015 1:59 AM

Sep 2014
Like everyone is saying.... WTF is with the OP =( - it does look beautiful though.

Really good first episode. And Kaneki being OP!!!!!!! Love the short fight scene he had with the girl's brother. And what a Cliffhanger at the end!!!!

IMO there wasnt any ' noticable ' censoring ' ( from my POV ) and i hope they do drop that negative effect in the future.

But some scenes felt a bit too ' slow ' . Like the talking and the explosions / buildings falling down didnt feel exciting. I do not mind a lengthy of talking scenes, but i do hate short pauses between each line or word the character says.
Jan 10, 2015 4:38 AM

Aug 2014
So like a lot of others have stated I don't like the intro from a pure enjoyment standpoint. However I do like it because, with the disjointedness of the music and the contrary nature of the woman singing very strange things in a very pleasant voice, it seems like it's representing the state of Kaneki's mind atm in conjunction with the visuals of him getting switched from human to ghoul by Rize's hands. Really the OP was more interesting than the rest of the episode which can be summed up into two events: everyone stopped fighting and Kaneki ran off to Aogiri....not sure we needed 20 minutes of that.
Jan 10, 2015 5:17 AM

Nov 2013
What the hell is this alternative route shit? Really bizarre, but it gives them a chance to end the anime in 1 cour I guess, because they would have rushed the original story otherwise. Well even if it's a new route it's always nice to have more TG.
Jan 10, 2015 5:18 AM

Aug 2008
Nobody knows whether this anime is also canon like all the different routes/endings in FSN or this is just filler? Need someone to make it clear on the situation of this anime.

Should I drop this and read the manga? Or should I wait for the anime to finish then read the manga? I hate it when anime went non canon.
ZapredonJan 10, 2015 5:22 AM

Jan 10, 2015 5:25 AM

Oct 2011
Zapredon said:
Earame said:

So am I suppose to treat this as extra icing on the cake or something like FSN where you got different route/ending.

Yes, it's something like that. It's not like he did "oops, I don't like what I did in manga, so please forgive me and forget about what you read".

If it's true that Ishida-sensei is doing the scenario for TG Root A (has anybody any reliable source of that information?), that's great, and we might hope that he will show us something in anime, which will be later used in manga too, but that whole fight over "canon" is plain stupid, especially after seeing ONE episode and without any official statement from Ishida-sensei. For now we can consider anime as "second route" and nothing more than that. Less maybe.

ALSO, while writing a manga, author has much more freedom than while writing scenario for anime, you know? The pressure is different, and the whole process of creating anime is different than with manga. Mangaka has to listen to his editors, but still, he's the main person in the creation process; script-writer or consultant have less impact on it than director or producers.

Eleoric said:
So like a lot of others have stated I don't like the intro from a pure enjoyment standpoint. However I do like it because, with the disjointedness of the music and the contrary nature of the woman singing very strange things in a very pleasant voice, it seems like it's representing the state of Kaneki's mind atm in conjunction with the visuals of him getting switched from human to ghoul by Rize's hands. Really the OP was more interesting than the rest of the episode which can be summed up into two events: everyone stopped fighting and Kaneki ran off to Aogiri....not sure we needed 20 minutes of that.

Yeah, I feel the same.

EDIT

Zapredon, read the manga from the beginning. First season of TG is really bad when compared to manga, and second season is something different... And it will lack some epic scenes ;D Manga's really great, you should read it and treat anime as extra. However, it's not a filler, it's different route of the story. It has potential, but for now - it's worse than manga. Whole Ayato x Kaneki fight, what am I saying, all of fights were much, much more exciting, and there was a lot more talking.
EarameJan 10, 2015 5:30 AM
Jan 10, 2015 5:48 AM

Aug 2008
Earame said:
Zapredon said:

Yes, it's something like that. It's not like he did "oops, I don't like what I did in manga, so please forgive me and forget about what you read".

If it's true that Ishida-sensei is doing the scenario for TG Root A (has anybody any reliable source of that information?), that's great, and we might hope that he will show us something in anime, which will be later used in manga too, but that whole fight over "canon" is plain stupid, especially after seeing ONE episode and without any official statement from Ishida-sensei. For now we can consider anime as "second route" and nothing more than that. Less maybe.

ALSO, while writing a manga, author has much more freedom than while writing scenario for anime, you know? The pressure is different, and the whole process of creating anime is different than with manga. Mangaka has to listen to his editors, but still, he's the main person in the creation process; script-writer or consultant have less impact on it than director or producers.

So your advice for now is just consider this as different route like the many different route in FSN.

EDIT

Zapredon, read the manga from the beginning. First season of TG is really bad when compared to manga, and second season is something different... And it will lack some epic scenes ;D Manga's really great, you should read it and treat anime as extra. However, it's not a filler, it's different route of the story. It has potential, but for now - it's worse than manga. Whole Ayato x Kaneki fight, what am I saying, all of fights were much, much more exciting, and there was a lot more talking.

Read the manga after this anime finish or your advice is start right now? I just scare that if I read the manga,I will lost interest in anime.
ZapredonJan 10, 2015 5:52 AM

Jan 10, 2015 6:10 AM
Mar 2014
Mmh dident like the OP, the song at the end tho <3 it suited so well, seems like Kaneki realy changed after all, i wonder what the Aogiri organisation is up to.
Jan 10, 2015 7:22 AM

Sep 2013
love this episode! bad-ass kaneki is bad-ass m/
Jan 10, 2015 7:48 AM

Dec 2014
I think I'm one of the only people to actually like the OP. But, anyway, pretty good episode overall.

As a manga reader, it seems a bit out of place for Kaneki to join Aogiri, but hopefully, there will be an explanation for why he did it and hopefully it fits his character.

Jan 10, 2015 7:56 AM

Dec 2014
2 Days late for discussing but whatever
Anyways that Op was garbage
But the fucking animation! Holy shit!
It was fucking incredible.

And Kaneki-kun changing sides!
Dam, shit seems to be getting intense.
Jan 10, 2015 9:03 AM

Nov 2011
I didn't like this episode(manga reader here). But this wasn't just because Kaneki joined Aogiri. I was really really looking forward to Kaneki vs Ayato because it was EPIC in the manga. It was brilliant. And it was my most awaited moment. And you can picture me getting all excited as the moment was approaching and then just having my hopes brutally dashed like that. It hurt man.
And to those who haven't read the manga, let me assure you that that single fight is worth all this hatred. It showed how Kaneki had changed from all that torturing. It showed the crazy side of him which I'd come to love in the manga. And the scenario now, with all the staring at dead people and all, made him look like a fucking saint. And Kaneki is not supposed to be that, with that peaceful, detached and pensieve expression. Atleast not at that moment. He's an unfortunate fucked up dude who's gone through too much too suddenly. And he wouldn't just go ahead and join the organization that did that to him. And he didn't even agree with what Aogiri was doing(in the manga). It's like they've killed Kaneki and put some unknown person there who just pretends to be him.

But maybe that was the point. I will try to forget about the Kaneki portrayed in the manga completely and watch the next 2 episodes atleast. But I don't know if I'll be able to. I had a hard time finishing this episode.

The OP was alright with me. It was radically different from the first season but I kinda liked it.
Jan 10, 2015 9:38 AM

Jan 2015
The episode picked up right where the last season ended so the fights were less climactic than they would have been if they made this the end of the first season. I liked how there were a lot of shots of Kaneki's face, emphasizing the drastic change in him. However, after the fight scenes, the episode mellowed down and it suddenly felt empty and a little boring. I think they're trying to portray sensitivity right after the show of violence, but it didn't strike me that way.

But I must say that I am excited to know what's going to happen from here on since it's deviating from the manga.
Jan 10, 2015 9:46 AM

Sep 2010
Ken is sooooo badass amg ,amg..
Episode overall was really nice , i am one of those who didn't read manga so i am fully enjoying each episode and each character in my own way , but man.... his transformation is really something :)... soooo goood !
Jan 10, 2015 11:15 AM

Feb 2014
The episode was kinda slow for me. I liked it and I'm really glad that TG is back, but it sort of just wrapped up everything and setting up things for the next 11 episodes, so only final fights occurred. I noticed that the art and animation improved a bit when I was seeing the fight between the one-eyed owl and CCG.

And the symbolism was so strong throughout the episode. Kaneki is walking down a lonely road..... makes me want to do what Touka did when she was trying to reach Kaneki. Kaneki going to Aogiri. That is really intriguing that he joined the enemies side, after all the torture and issues he and to go through because of them.Since it's going the anime route, it'll be intresting to know who the One- eyed King is and if Pierrot (the group, not the studio) will appear more in the season.

I really like the OP song, but the visuals looked like the studio lacked effort . The ED was a really great.

4/5
nanoflowerJan 10, 2015 11:41 AM
Jan 10, 2015 11:40 AM

Jan 2012
how y'all think the animation was good, that shit was ass lmao. I guess it wasn't mars of destruction but it was decent at best, there wasn't much to be hyped up about in all honesty. I'm going to stick it out though because I feel like they didn't want to waste a lot of the budget on the first episode. The ending scene where he was walking to aogiri was pretty cool though. Also, the OP and ED feel like they should be switched.

I feel like the new direction has potential, but the animation and the lack thereof is a turnoff so I'll give it a 3/5.
ad stellas super alas angeli.

Jan 10, 2015 12:23 PM

Nov 2009
What reason did Ishida (or whoever it is who's in charge of scenario for 2nd season) give as to why make the anime not follow the manga? Was the manga not good enough or what?
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 10, 2015 1:24 PM
Apr 2014
CG said:
What reason did Ishida (or whoever it is who's in charge of scenario for 2nd season) give as to why make the anime not follow the manga? Was the manga not good enough or what?

If the manga was the 4th best selling series in 2014. I don't think the manga was not good enough.

It probably has to do with the first season being adapted poorly.
Jan 10, 2015 1:55 PM
Feb 2014
i had no idea what the fuck was happening for most of the episode, wtf lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2015 2:11 PM

Aug 2012
Well, the opening was unexpect. The ending was so beautiful, with a painful melody.

The cap i don't know. To slow but at the same time, to fast :(

The change of Kaneki was so obvious and it hurts haha i don't know.
Jan 10, 2015 3:04 PM

Apr 2012
Man this was great! Loved the opening & especially the ending. It felt like a lot was left out tho. I found myself confused a few times since I haven't read the manga & they jumped ahead for this season seemingly. Amazing fights & artwork. Yummy :3
Jan 10, 2015 4:34 PM

Mar 2013
Kaneki is back~ Now we just really need Kaneki back in Tokyo Ghoul: Re. I guess in this plot, he'll be with Aogiri.
I didn't like the opening at all. The ending was ok. The OST at the end was great though. I thought that was the ending at first, they should maybe reverse it xDD
Jan 10, 2015 4:39 PM

May 2014
FINALLY The New Season Came Out :D
I love the new power kaneki gets...
There were epic battles too :O
Can't wait....
Touka.. but touka... doe... mann
Jan 10, 2015 7:22 PM

Mar 2012
The OP was disappointing compared to Unravel, in terms of song and animation. Other than that, I liked where it left off from last season. Looking good so far.
Jan 10, 2015 7:24 PM

Dec 2008
I'm crushing real hard on this new Kaneki!
Jan 10, 2015 7:29 PM

Apr 2014
OP sucks but the ED is pretty good.
Also, Kaneki looks so badass with his white hair and new outfit holy crap~!
I guess this is a pretty good start so far.
EitoriJan 10, 2015 7:32 PM
Jan 10, 2015 7:42 PM

Dec 2013
Can someone explain why they decided to put the last episode of last season as the first episode of this season? Because seriously this is what the end of last season should have been, not that symbolic shit with white dust flying everywhere and a flicker of white hair.....

And why the hell did they not show Kaneki "Half-Kill" Ayato?
That was the most badass moment they took out from this episode!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 10, 2015 7:53 PM
Oct 2013
why was no one shocked when Kaneki returned tho like he freaking disappeared for so freaking long and comes back with white hair and black nails but all Touka does is to ask him to dye it back??? found that very unnatural.
Jan 10, 2015 8:04 PM

Feb 2013
Nice way to end season 1. Oh wait, this is the start of season 2... (this really should have been the end of season 1)
Pages (17) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by ShirJager »»
Apr 17, 5:39 PM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

37 by Zimmu »»
Apr 3, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

256 by dustyblue »»
Feb 7, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2015

300 by RapidPhantom »»
Jan 23, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.