Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 2, 2015 9:23 PM

Nov 2014
SolviteWoTaberu said:
Somehow this thread about vocaloid being for weaboos turned into a weaboo circle jerk about their favorite vocaloids.

Thats pretty crazy.

It's so that the thread doesn't die. Vocaloids are not for weeaboos. Question answered.

*not just for weeaboos
Jan 2, 2015 9:24 PM

Oct 2013
I thought vocaloid was pretty entry level stuff when getting into otaku things.
Jan 3, 2015 1:30 AM

Jan 2014
I guess listening to vocaloids seems a bit weird, but personally I sometimes listen to them because of the melody of a song. As for the language, some people are listening to spanish and german songs they don't understand, so I think it's okay to listen to songs in japanese.
Jan 3, 2015 2:13 AM
Dec 2014
Nah. I wanna a Miku.
Jan 3, 2015 2:59 AM

May 2013
I dunno really. Not seen much of it to have a real impression, but from what I have seen, they are pretty awful singers. Of course that's to be expected considering the technology we have today, but it doesn't quite explain the crazy fanbase.
Jan 3, 2015 3:02 AM

Feb 2014
Nah, they are ok.
But I like mostly miku.
Jan 3, 2015 3:08 AM

Nov 2014
I don't really like the Vocaloid universe, but i have been pleasantly surprised, sometimes (Ex : Black Rock Shooter :3)
Jan 3, 2015 3:12 AM

Nov 2012
IA is pure angelic bliss.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Jan 3, 2015 4:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
don't see what's weird about that
Jan 3, 2015 4:07 AM
Apr 2014
It's better than dubstep.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jan 3, 2015 4:41 AM

Dec 2011
Only vocaloid I ever liked was HAtsune Miku... WHile I was in some kind of an emo phase... Tho I still like apend voices... Mostly dark and emotional... Sounds like a real human.
Jan 3, 2015 4:44 AM

Jun 2013
JizzyHitler said:
i think it just sounds shitty in general
Jan 3, 2015 4:57 AM

Apr 2012
There is some quality music in there if it wherent completely ruined by the shitty ass vocals.

I do like some re-interpretations tough. Especially this german one:

As for being weeaboo-esque? I dont know, I dont care where music comes from as long as its good. So unless one likes it just because its related to anime or japan, yeah that would be really weeabooish.
Jan 3, 2015 5:01 AM

May 2014
It's alright, it's somewhat another genre in music, and everyone has his own taste.

Jan 3, 2015 5:19 AM
Jan 2013
So... playing Project Diva F makes me a weeb?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2015 5:38 AM

Oct 2014
Vocaloids are the best!

Jan 3, 2015 6:34 AM

Feb 2010
Idk, it may be part of my Aversion for them but mostly I just find them ugly, ear-cancerous and devoid of any enjoyable aspects. Vocaloid music is plain terrible 90% of the time, and the rest of the time it's barely okay.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 3, 2015 8:43 AM

Apr 2014
FloatsBoats said:
JizzyHitler said:
i think it just sounds shitty in general
Jan 3, 2015 10:29 AM

Jun 2013
I like Vocaloid because it is different, and I am most certainly not weeaboo, at least not anymore. I went through that phase where I thought anime was perfection of everything, I believe most of us did. Now there are few songs I love, example Alice in Black Market (Hatsune Miku), R.I.P=release (Megurine Luka) and Crimson (Sakine Meiko). I love few of their songs which were End. dubbed as well. Simply put, I listen to anything I find good. Vocaloid is one of those things. I do not listen ithose songs because they are from Japan (Even though that is what dragged me into it), I listen because I think they are good.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jan 3, 2015 10:34 AM

Dec 2013
I enjoy the music. Why is there something wrong with having a different taste than yours?

You could insult anyone in the world for their interests or music taste with any number of insulting words. Calling people Weeaboo is stupid.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Jan 3, 2015 10:51 AM

Nov 2012
some vocaloid songs are pretty cool imo
i've never noticed the fanbase being extremely weeaboo, at least not more than the anime fanbase.
Jan 3, 2015 10:54 AM

Feb 2013
No.

Jan 3, 2015 11:30 AM
Feb 2014
DeadlyTreasure said:
I enjoy the music. Why is there something wrong with having a different taste than yours?

You could insult anyone in the world for their interests or music taste with any number of insulting words. Calling people Weeaboo is stupid.

gotta love those death metal elitists :)
Jan 3, 2015 11:53 AM

Jan 2014
well, depends on how you go about it, just like anime. but for me i generally do not like vocaloid songs. i usually love the melodies, but the voices just... hurt... they sound so overly autotuned and unnatural >.< soo i usually like covers of vocaloid songs a lot better... like this one :D

Jan 3, 2015 12:13 PM

Oct 2009
If we're going to make an assessment on the fanbase on the internet, hardcore vocaloid fan is apparently more vocal than hardcore anime fan in general, simply because their audience pool is too cliche and really stands out from the other subculture.

When I think of Vocaloid fan, I immediately stereotyping them with the j-pop or k-pop idol hardcore groups. (or as someone has mentioned before, boyband in the west).

Regarding my opinion on the Vocaloid subject itself, I was interested in the characters and their backstory, most importantly Kasane Teto (okay, don't throw rocks at me I know it's UTAU). I think it is really interesting that these fictional idol does managed to capture the heart of so many people with obvious microsoft SAM ripoff machine voice, but then again I think to myself, even some anime fan has 2D waifu that is voiced by a real person. So maybe what had made all these people fallen in love is actually in the concept of the character itself, or should I say, their own imagery archetype.

Do you think an anime character is a real person?
Do you think Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina is a real person?
Do you think an Vocaloid is a real person?

This has got me quite thinking, if we draw some parallel, we can see there's some points that converge. Vocaloid is, I think, not that far off than anything else human has created before.

To put it short, no, I think Vocaloid is not 'weaboo-hipsters' subculture. Though it might appear so in hindsight. To be fair, the same thing was thrown at anime fan lately. And yes, SAO IS overrated.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jan 3, 2015 12:31 PM

Nov 2014
lilypippili said:
well, depends on how you go about it, just like anime. but for me i generally do not like vocaloid songs. i usually love the melodies, but the voices just... hurt... they sound so overly autotuned and unnatural >.< soo i usually like covers of vocaloid songs a lot better... like this one :D

same, I like Utaites :3
Although it really depends on what effect the creator was going for..

Jan 3, 2015 12:51 PM

May 2014
mayukachan said:

Kagerou Project?

Yeah, whose anime's called "Mekakucity Actors". I don't like those particularly, but I do like some vocaloids. It's music as any other, maybe a bit artificial, but if you like electro music, you'll probably do fine with it too. This one here is fine: Six Trillion Years and Overnight Story - IA (http://youtu.be/WhUgoaSNPmQ)
True story: A friend of mine was listening to that music just fine in his house, the other day, when his father came by and casually asked him: "Are you butchering a pig or what?"
Jan 3, 2015 12:55 PM

Dec 2013
NicoHolmes said:
DeadlyTreasure said:

gotta love those death metal elitists :)

Death metal is okay but I prefer Thrash personally.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Jan 3, 2015 2:50 PM
Apr 2013
Some Vocaloid drawings are good.
They show the fans' love even I don't like it much. They have made some pretty 3D models too, better than most anime girl characters I'd say.
Jan 3, 2015 2:52 PM

Feb 2014
Anything japanese is too weeaboo for me.
Jan 3, 2015 2:58 PM
Feb 2014
Ockap1812 said:
Anything japanese is too weeaboo for me.

Even Ghost in the Shell?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 33 minutes ago

9 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

20 by luckyrune »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

3 by Timeline_man »»
5 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

42 by Kenzolo-folk »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

36 by bucciest »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.