Forum Settings
Forums

How many of you are actually similar to the stereotypical anime fan?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 21, 2014 3:27 PM

Dec 2014
MechaKiryu said:
Comic_Sans said:

People like you
That's not an explanation...

pls
Dec 21, 2014 3:28 PM

Mar 2014
MechaKiryu said:
Comic_Sans said:

People like you
That's not an explanation...

You don't know what kind of person you are?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 21, 2014 4:16 PM
May 2014
I suppose I'm sort of like the stereotype, but not fully. I really enjoy Japan and their culture as it seems so different as to what I see in my home country of Scotland. I like to cook and eat Japanese food as often as I can and I always have a manga that I'm reading in my bag in the event there's downtime during a lesson and I have no friends in my class to talk to. So I like Japan at a minimum weeb level I think. When it comes to anime and cosplaying, I don't cosplay but would do it if it were for a convention or something and my friends were doing it. I'm out of shape but I'm not overweight, I wash regularly and I enjoy doing some sports. So I guess you could say I have a healthy passion for a country and hobby that is incorrectly associated with nerds, shy people and 40 year old overweight guys who cosplay as 12 year old girls!
Dec 21, 2014 4:51 PM

Nov 2013
I'm reserved but not shy.
I don't own figures or DVDs. Mostly because they're expensive
I'm not athletic, but I'm not weak or utterly terrible at sports.
I would like to learn Japanese but am not overly obsessed with their culture.
So that's that.
People don't think of me as a nerd at all, or I'm at least pretty sure they don't. I wouldn't say that I'm not a bit of a nerd knowing my personality and interests.

I can see you

Dec 21, 2014 5:03 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I'm not too nerdy, but geeky? Sure.
I'm not super athletic, but I do like showing off my strength for some reason.
I did get bullied in elementary school and high school (not middle school). I don't think I've been bullied for liking anime though, just for being black, "weird", and supporting LGBT+ rights.
I do cosplay, not just from anime though. Just a fun fact but cosplay originated in the United States and is not just a Japanese hobby. I don't link cosplay to how weeby someone is unless they link it.

I have really cheap figurines which are not-very-neatly thrown into a little bucket. Most are gifts and I have a hard time throwing away gifts.;; I don't collect them.

I'm not obsessed with Japanese culture but instead am extremely interested in all cultures (even internet cultures like neopets) including my own; I find both weeaboo and otaku culture interesting yet laughable at times though.

I have a relative that doesn't like any music, shows, or comics-- really he doesn't like much of anything unless it's Japanese.;; He just got into anime a few years ago so I hope it's just a phase. I went through a similar phase in middle school, but at least I didn't put down my own culture. But my phase was nowhere as bad as his, and I was only twelve while he's an adult.;; I hope he gets out of that.
I dig your love for Stevie Wonder, by the way, OP.

As a random note, I was into newspaper comics before anything and I still love them. My cousin introduced me to anime. I then found manga. My interests aren't and never have been limited to only things from Japan.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 21, 2014 5:53 PM

Nov 2014
I originally voted "not at all" in the poll, but I think I actually fall into the stereotype at least a little bit.
I don't currently own any figures and I haven't cosplayed or attended a convention yet, but these are all things I'd be interested in doing in the future. I'm definitely not very athletic, but I don't necessarily consider myself "nerdy". And I don't know much about Japanese culture outside of anime, so there's that.
Dec 21, 2014 6:32 PM

Jul 2014
TheArchangels said:
Not too athletic im pretty athletic, get bullied never been bullied, into cosplay and collecting little figurines and stuff no..., overly obsessed with Japanese culture maybe a bit, etc. but how many of you are actually like this?

i dont fall under this stereotype :P
Dec 21, 2014 11:59 PM

Jan 2014
I don't really fit that stereotype.
I am not athletic, have been sort of bullied in elementary school, and have an interest in Japanese culture as well as learn Japanese, but I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with it. o _ o
Dec 22, 2014 12:44 AM

Oct 2012
All the people at the anime club in my school think they're all normal...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 22, 2014 1:01 AM

Jan 2014
Nerdy? sort of
Athletic? not at all
Get bullied? Never, pretty big for my age. Well at least in my country.
Collecting stuff? a few
Japanese culture? sort of, my auntie had a japanese husband.

Is the stereotype correct? Yes, in some degree.

Why do you think this stereotype applies to you or was created in the first place if it doesn't? Well to classify a flock / group of people IMO.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Dec 22, 2014 1:15 AM

Dec 2014
I don't really play sports neither am I nerdy. I don't get bullied cause I don't really do anything to get bullied. I am a awkward penguin when it comes to socializing but I do not collect figurines or cosplay (but i want to cosplay 1 day). I like Japan and their food, I would say it is one of my fav countries but I'm not gaga over it.

So I would say that its only about 20% true?
Dec 22, 2014 1:24 AM

Dec 2014
Even if I wanted to, I don't have money to spare for those kind of hobbies (cosplay/collecting merchandise).
I wasn't really a target for bullying in school, no, though I wasn't athletic, either
more like "one of those music freaks" who hung out in the band room and played guitar or bass all the time.
I'm not longing to move to Japan or anything like that, either, nor do I wish I was born Japanese or whatever these crazy people desire.
So I guess not?
(っ◔◡◔)っ just on my dumb shit
Dec 22, 2014 1:47 AM

Aug 2011
Not really?

I exercise daily, so I'm pretty good shape, and I wasn't really bullied at all; maybe once in kindergarten but that was it. Cosplay isn't my thing but I do admit there are some really well-done costumes out there.

But I have collected a lot of merchandise over the years, although it's mostly cool fanart I have in a binder. I have a few wallscrolls and figures, but I don't plan on buying any more in the future. Unless you stepped into my room or saw the little Onodera on my keyring you wouldn't be able to tell I liked anime at all.

Ugh, just hearing about people worshiping Japan makes me sick. I took a Japanese class this semester (because credits) and it was cool, but nothing spectacular. The culture is interesting, but nothing like the overly obsessed people make it out to be.

Dec 22, 2014 2:00 AM

Mar 2014
I think this "stereotype" is strange.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Dec 22, 2014 9:49 AM

Dec 2014
Never been bullied, don't collect anime stuff, don't care too much about the culture, I'm very athletic. So, I'm far from the stereotype, but I don't think it matters, who cares??

I just watch anime and read manga in my spare time.

Dec 22, 2014 10:17 AM

Dec 2014
I never try to become a stereotype or stereotype others. Im myself.
So im not that typical anime fan that you described.
Dec 22, 2014 10:52 AM

Oct 2014
100% otaku and proud of it
It's thanks to people like me that the stereotype exists ^ ^

Dec 22, 2014 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
I have some stickers (like one or two) and have a couple posters I got for free, as well as action figures (Gundams), but that's as far as it goes.

I don't have shirts or anything that strikes as "incredibly weaboo".

So nah. Not at all.

Although I do binge watch a bit.
Dec 22, 2014 11:31 AM

Aug 2014
4.29% of voters are fgts
Dec 22, 2014 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
MechaKiryu said:
4.29% of voters are fgts

Just like you. LMAO.
Dec 22, 2014 11:47 AM

Mar 2013
I'm not athletic but I work out to stay skinny.
I don't own any anime related stuff.
Most of my friends aren't anime fans

I'm not a weeaboo or anything, but I really do love anime and can geek out over it with other anime fans.
Dec 22, 2014 1:03 PM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
I wasn't ever bullied, I was someone who had lots of friends early on in school and later on in high school I wasnt someone people payed attention to in that manner. I was nerdy early on though and I openly expressed my fandoms for Warhammer, Video Games, anime etc and no one ever said anything. I wasn't someone who looked like the typical nerd really. I would like to visit Japan but for cultural reasons as I am interested in ancient history around Samurai and other myths from that time. At this point in time I wont cosplay. Who knows 10 years I may, though I doubt it (unless I become a balaclava model, lol).
Dec 22, 2014 1:21 PM

Dec 2014
Lets check:
-Got bullied (im kinda a bullie my self now)
-Not too athletic
-Not into cosplay or colecting toys and stuff
-I am crazy about Japanese culture
Dec 22, 2014 3:54 PM

Apr 2014
Now the real question is, how many people who said that they're not are actually telling the truth?
BambiDec 22, 2014 4:16 PM
Dec 22, 2014 4:12 PM

Nov 2014
-Never got bullied
-I don't collect action figures
-Not interested in cosplay
-I am quite fit and I play a lot of sports
-Although I like japanese culture I am not crazy about it

-I am a huge computer nerd
-I buy the anime that I like and I do not hide my 'power level' in real life

In conclusion I am 2/7 stereotypical anime fan :)
Dec 22, 2014 4:16 PM

Aug 2014
Fiction-S said:
MechaKiryu said:
4.29% of voters are fgts

Just like you. LMAO.
It takes a fgt to know a fgt.

AYYYYYYYYYYYY LMAO
Dec 22, 2014 4:39 PM

Apr 2014
Most people don't know I watch anime unless I tell them. In fact, a lot of my friends who did watch shows like Sailor Moon and Pokémon, probably don't know that those shows are considered anime. I don't cosplay and I don't really buy anything anime related. I just stream it.

"Haunted by darkness... Cursed by light... I am Jyakotu."
Dec 22, 2014 6:16 PM

Aug 2014
I dont do any of that, though I think it would be kind of cool to own a figurine of my favorite character.
Dec 22, 2014 6:17 PM

Dec 2012
i actually dont watch anime
Dec 22, 2014 6:19 PM

Feb 2013
I was bullied a little in primary school before I learnt self defense and stopped being crybaby (literally crying at anything and everything).
When I first moved out of home at the start of the year I bought a few figs but their in a box in my closest now, I keep a few plushies and miniature figs on my computer desk.
I don't care to much japanese, anime/manga are just entertainment mediums to me, however I would be interested in picking up the language.
I've cosplayed before for shits and giggles, in which I crossplayed Velma from Scooby Doo.
I do own a fair bit of anime and manga, I just spend money stupidly on shit that's on sale, I have no self control.
And I've always been athletic and fit, I did let myself go when I moved out of home for a few months but that's been dealt with.

TL;DR: I could bench you with my earlobe.
Dec 22, 2014 6:23 PM
May 2012
Not at all. I very rarely even watch anime.
Dec 22, 2014 6:38 PM

Oct 2013
I'm a 2nd dan black belt in tae kwon do, go out clubbing a few nights a week, never been to a convention or owned a figure or anything. Not very stereotypical. Some people know i watch anime, some don't. It's not something I'm ashamed of and hide, just if it's no brought up i don't talk about it. I think a lot of people are this way though, people look too much into stereotype's, people aren't as close minded as they used to be

Dec 22, 2014 7:15 PM

Jan 2014
I'm a borderline hikikormori. I was good at sports in middle school but gave them up. I got bullied endlessly. I don't collect anime figures but I do collect Halo figures.
I <3 DXM
Dec 22, 2014 7:58 PM
Apr 2010
I'm not exactly in shape but I've only been bullied by one person back in elementary school and I'm pretty athletic for my size. It's actually quite easy for me to make friends despite being a quiet person and females like me. I like the Japanese culture and would like to live in Japan but that's as far as it goes. No cosplaying or figurine collecting. So.. No I'm not the typical anime watcher.
Dec 22, 2014 8:59 PM

Sep 2014
i didn't know there was a stereotype

i imagine everyone has a different idea of whatever it might be
Dec 22, 2014 11:20 PM

May 2009
So-So, I'd say.

- I'm not really athletic, but because of the work I do, I'm not out of shape, either;
- I have several figurines, but due to financial reasons, stopped doing it (especially when a few of them broke), and now I no longer really care about them
- I got bullied all the way to high school (school staff did nothing, and I was too shy to ask for help myself), and live a very reserved lifestyle (I would probably make a good hikkikomori if I were to ever lose my job)
- I'm relatively nerdy: I have a huge passion for anything scientific, especially anything related to astronomy.

But, I'm not overly obsessed with Japanese culture (I find it fascinating, but the same goes for many other countries), and certainly not to the extent that I'd want to live there.

And I find cosplay stupid and pointless (not to mention that very few people can actually pull it off well).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2014 11:42 PM

Jun 2012
Cigarette said:

I dont even know what anime is.
Dec 22, 2014 11:45 PM

Dec 2013
I was bullied in Middle School

I'm sort of athletic

I'm not into cosplay

I just like anime from the Japanese culture

I don't collect figurines
Dec 23, 2014 12:23 AM

Jun 2013
I'm in a fraternity. That pretty much sums it up. However I have cos-played at Cons I do it more for the creative side and challenge of making costumes. My brothers and friends give me shit for it but who fucking cares lol?
I have really funny thoughts that no one will get to hear.
Dec 23, 2014 12:24 AM

Oct 2008
Shuhan said:
Cigarette said:

Chinese cartoons obviously.
Dec 23, 2014 12:26 AM

Jun 2013
amateur said:
Shuhan said:

Chinese cartoons obviously.

Psssh you mean what those nerds that jerk off to my little pony are into?
I have really funny thoughts that no one will get to hear.
Dec 23, 2014 1:16 AM

May 2014
Obviously not at all. If I'm not extolling the virtues of English, I'm bashing most of the genre tropes and thus most of the shows that exist, dismissing the fanbase as a bunch of creepy/obsessed nerds and snobbishly extolling the virtues of a select few anime as examples the pack should follow but never does. It;s bloody ironic I consider myself an animation fan considering all the shit I pile on everything - except the King's glourious English, which is obviously the best language ever and must be defended from the hordes of brainwashed otakus who treat that Asian island jabber as the holiest of languages.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Dec 29, 2014 1:35 PM

Dec 2014
Reverb_Shock said:
I'm never gonna cosplay and I don't collect figurines or merchandise.

^says it all
Dec 29, 2014 2:08 PM

Oct 2014
Bullied, meh. Some people were pricks throughout middle school, high school, etc. I wasn't exactly what you would call bullied though.

Kind of, sorta athletic. I'm into skateboarding, snowboarding, hiking, cycling, swimming, and just things like that. Gonna get a good workout routine started come 2015, etc.

Not really into cosplay at all and have no desire to go to any cons (I did when first starting watching anime, fuck that shit now though).

Don't collect figures. I mean I've seen some awfully cute Haikyuu!! and KNB ones I want and there some others as well I want to collect but after that I wouldn't really collect anything anymore.

Definitely not obsessed with Japanese culture. It's beautiful, no doubt but I appreciate others cultures just as much as Japanese culture.
Dec 29, 2014 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
I'm really scrawny, have long messy hair, and kind of obsessed with Japan. I also don't really listen to English music anymore. And my art is very largely influenced by anime and manga.

Honestly, in retrospect, I'm pretty fucking weeaboo.

But I have an off switch, at least.
Dec 29, 2014 6:46 PM
Feb 2014
The only thing that comes close is the amount I've seen but then again, anime is just one thing I like in life, I'm not at all obsessed or immersed or feel the need to act like an entitled weeaboo or comic book guy wannabe.

Eh, I guess 20% in that regard. But I rarely talk about anime IRL or online as well unless it's someone else that I can talk in proper discussion with. Usually it's my closest friends on both. Most people IRL see me as just another guy, I don't really stand out much. My friends don't even know I like it unless I've talked to them about it, and usually they're all right with it, three of them watch with me and they're equally as normal as me. Probably because I pick the right people to associate with anyways.
Oct 17, 2015 5:03 AM

Apr 2011
I'm interested in japanese culture, but that has more to do with its history rather than anime/manga. Weeaboos tend to think that said anime/manga is the only thing that matters in Japan and that everyone reads it.
Oct 17, 2015 5:11 AM

Nov 2012
Nerdy? Yes, kind of.
Not too athletic? I don't like team sports, but I'm not bad at sports either. I just prefer nerdy things.
Get bullied? No, never happened to me.
Into cosplay? No. Although, cosplay is not popular in my country so it's not like I have a choice.
Collecting little figurines and stuff? No
Overly obsessed with Japanese culture? I'm not obsessed but I like reading about it and find it very interesting.
Come here and play with my darkness
Oct 17, 2015 5:12 AM

May 2009
I like soccer and basketball. And I certainly do like to boost my ego by making you feel miserable on the field, but also for plain fun. I like the Japanese culture for being so awesome I also hate it for it being so fucking dumb at times, but that's part of the charm eh? Never got bullied, I bullied the bullies because I hate bullies. Which is kind of contradicting now that I think of it... I'm a geek, but people often don't realize that because I am "social" so they never bothered asking. I'm very open to talk about my hobbies with others and they don't have any issues with it, that rarely happens though, because I barely have informal contact nowadays.
Oct 17, 2015 1:17 PM

Jan 2014
I'm not. I'm more muscular than typical anime fans, played rugby, hike, camp, I actually like the outdoors.
I don't really own anything that could out me as an anime watcher. I feel like I'm more outgoing and charismatic also.
But I mean you find outliers in every subculture. Theres a fucking NFLer who's a diehard pokemon fan.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
43 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
50 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

29 by cyandaqil »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.