Forum Settings
Forums

Has Anime made regular TV and Movies less enjoyable?

New
Dec 4, 2014 9:17 AM

Dec 2013
Has Anime changed the way you view or enjoy Non-Anime TV and Movies?

Movies have been my biggest passion my entire life. I used to watch three new movies per day and I have about 400 DVD's. I also watch 15 non-anime shows per week. Lately, I can't be bothered to watch movies and most of the TV shows seem like a chore. I just keep thinking that the time could be spent watching Anime instead.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 4, 2014 9:20 AM

Aug 2010
not the same for me... I see tons of movies and watch most superhero related shows which right now they are all awful... but that cant be helped.

if anything, ive become less entranced with anime lately. Been watching anime for years, so ive seen a lot of the same stuff repeat and repeat again. Luckily, I love good fight scenes and with animation techniques always improving I get sweet fights even in the crummiest of shows.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Dec 4, 2014 9:24 AM
Dec 4, 2014 9:26 AM
Sep 2014
I don't think so.
Dec 4, 2014 9:27 AM

Mar 2014
xbobx said:
No.
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 4, 2014 9:30 AM

May 2009
It has, actually. I stopped watching TV altogether because it has lost most of its entertainment value. Not sure if my anime watching habit is related to it, but since I started watching it more frequently, I stopped caring about it completely.

As for movies, they lost their value due to the 3D gimmick, as well as the many reboots and sequels/prequels of movies I don't care about.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2014 9:33 AM

Nov 2008
not really.
Love my reality-tv shows
love to watch movies and have watch many good, many average, and many bad movies like with anime.
hi
Dec 4, 2014 9:36 AM

Feb 2010
Completely not. My interest in Movies was never that big even though I did watch more of them before I turned to anime. Mostly some specific niche genres/themes that I was looking for in movies and those got exhausted rather quickly. I still do follow some movie releases, especially anything space related (Gravity, Interstellar) because that's just my bias. I also like to watch a good animation movie as much as the next, american or japanese. So still trying to keep up with that side of things.
Aside from that only some directors/actors will get me interested in a movie, but as I said it's nothing to do with anime, I just find movies much less appealing than TV series in general.

As for TV Series I'M definitely spending less time on them than I did before anime, but I used to just rewatch the same 10 shows over and over again (I had watched scrubs like 6 times from start to finish) and expanding my taste in anime also made me look for and find new TV Series and by now most of my favorite TV Series were things I watched after anime became my main hobby. And my total days watched for TV Series shouldn't be that much lower than for anime (170 days or so without any rewatches) so I can't say they are less enjoyable. It's much easier to find epic, long, serious storylines in TV Series (especially since the episodes are twice as long in many cases), especially in the crime genre. The Wire (or Breaking Bad) are just series that you will never find in anime. The crime/gangster genre in general is barely existent in anime so I go to Live action for my fix. And while anime does have strong sci-fi series it's hard to see series that are like 200 episodes long and have epic, long-lasting plots. There's LOGH and Gundam + a few other franchises but they're all spready out over tons of entries. While stuff like Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica (New), Farscape or Stargate are both more continuous and having this particular semi-episodic narrative.
Lastly for comedy I'll also never get tired of a good TV show. Still regularly finding new shows I never heard about which turn out hilarious. Currently watching Black Books and loving it, for example.

At the end of the day for me both viewing processes happen on my computer since I don't have an actual TV so it doesn't make much difference in that regard. It can often be nice to watch something without subs for the last few episodes before I go to bed. After watching 10+ anime episodes with subs it can be nice to relax without subs and let the day/night end.
When it comes to movies though, without any additional incentives I'll almost always grab an anime movie over a regular movie, because 1. I can enjoy the art and stuff even if it is boring (most movies are imo) and 2. being able to at least list it afterwards and be done with it also makes the prospect of sub-par movies less of an issue and works as some kind of motivation from time to time ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 4, 2014 9:38 AM

Sep 2014
AO968 said:
It has, actually. I stopped watching TV altogether because it has lost most of its entertainment value.

Same here, since I'm watching anime I just don't care of TV, TV broadcast or movies (I'm still enjoying them but I rarely watch them). Also, I keep looking at news series occasionally.
Dec 4, 2014 9:39 AM

Jul 2014
Not really, i wan't even that much into Movies. TV series, maybe a bit.

What really takes my time are video games. I think the amount of time i spent on the Touhou franchise is about 3-4 times more then time spent on anime.
Dec 4, 2014 9:50 AM

Jul 2012
At the most, it's taken out my time in movies/TV. I'm still interested, but with all the anime I want to finish, I can't be bothered with TV shows.
Dec 4, 2014 9:54 AM

Oct 2012
Well before I got into Anime I didn't care too much for TV series and I still don't so nothing has changed in that regard. I have noticed, however, that I examine movies much more critically than I used to which does hamper my enjoyment of some movies. I'd still say that I prefer Film to Anime, I feel like there is more talent, especially if you look beyond Hollywood. Speaking of which Birdman is a fantastic movie and you should go see it if you haven't.
Dec 4, 2014 10:00 AM

Dec 2013
AO968 said:
It has, actually. I stopped watching TV altogether because it has lost most of its entertainment value. Not sure if my anime watching habit is related to it, but since I started watching it more frequently, I stopped caring about it completely.

As for movies, they lost their value due to the 3D gimmick, as well as the many reboots and sequels/prequels of movies I don't care about.

I don't mind sequels or prequels. I hate reboots though, some movies are just a product of their time and shouldn't be replicated for today's world.
Dec 4, 2014 10:06 AM
Dec 2013
Pretty much. I just find anime in general more creative and interesting than live-action TV shows and movies now. Everything I watch nowadays is anime-related. The only exceptions are South Park and The Boondocks. However, I've been thinking about watching more Fargo and True Detective.
Dec 4, 2014 10:18 AM

May 2013
Comic_Sans said:
xbobx said:
No.
Dec 4, 2014 10:20 AM

Nov 2012
KokkoClaus said:
Comic_Sans said:
Dec 4, 2014 10:22 AM

Apr 2014
Lol you just described me. I used to watch movies and play video games all the time. Now, I just desire to someday finish my huge PTW anime list. But I still play video games and watch movies from time to time of course, just not as much as I used to.

No regrets though. Watching anime is definitely the cheapest option between the 3.
Dec 4, 2014 10:26 AM

Oct 2008
Its the exact opposite, it made me appreciate tv series like Hannibal or House of Cards even more.
Dec 4, 2014 10:30 AM

Oct 2012
amateur said:
Its the exact opposite, it made me appreciate tv series like Hannibal or House of Cards even more.

This.

Getting into anime helped me get into Western television especially. There is so much good in Western television that it feels very restraining to limit yourself to anime in particular.
Dec 4, 2014 10:32 AM

May 2013
Protaku94 said:
Lol you just described me. I used to watch movies and play video games all the time. Now, I just desire to someday finish my huge PTW anime list. But I still play video games and watch movies from time to time of course, just not as much as I used to.

No regrets though. Watching anime is definitely the cheapest option between the 3.

They're all free...
Dec 4, 2014 10:34 AM

Apr 2014
toyall123 said:
amateur said:

This.

Getting into anime helped me get into Western television especially. There is so much good in Western television that it feels very restraining to limit yourself to anime in particular.
Western television is what made me appreciate anime more lol. I remember I was watching Mad Men before I got into anime a while back, and the two had such different methods of story telling and characters that I got curious and tried out tons of different animes, and before I knew it I was hooked and had completely forgotten about television in general.
Dec 4, 2014 10:36 AM
Mar 2013
they were never enjoyable to begin with. All western media is plebeian tier garbage.
Dec 4, 2014 10:37 AM

May 2013
JD2411 said:
they were never enjoyable to begin with. All western media is plebeian tier garbage.

I am inclined to agree.
Dec 4, 2014 10:39 AM

Oct 2008
JD2411 said:

If trolling that's a piss poor attempt,is serious then that's some hardcore weaboo thinking right there.

Either way thanks for the laugh.
Dec 4, 2014 10:39 AM

Apr 2014
KokkoClaus said:
Protaku94 said:

They're all free...
Um .... not really. I play on consoles, and I prefer to actually own my movies and TV shows, so that's where it's costly for me. I just stream animes and call it a day.
Dec 4, 2014 10:40 AM

Oct 2012
Protaku94 said:
Western television is what made me appreciate anime more lol. I remember I was watching Mad Men before I got into anime a while back, and the two had such different methods of story telling and characters that I got curious and tried out tons of different animes, and before I knew it I was hooked and had completely forgotten about television in general.

There is so much good in both really. Sometimes people can get so caught up in the bad of both media when they're off, that they forget how good they can be when they're on.

Also, nice to see another Gungrave lover! I mentioned Gungrave in the "are there any good anime adaptations of video games?" thread.
Dec 4, 2014 10:41 AM

Jan 2013
No
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 4, 2014 10:48 AM

Apr 2014
toyall123 said:
Protaku94 said:

There is so much good in both really. Sometimes people can get so caught up in the bad of both media when they're off, that they forget how good they can be when they're on.

Also, nice to see another Gungrave lover! I mentioned Gungrave in the "are there any good anime adaptations of video games?" thread.
Yeah I still watch some western television like The Walking Dead, but with anime I now have a goal in mind --- which is to finish my PTW list before I die xD

And yeah Gungrave fans are hard to come by. Nice to know you're one too. You might be the first one I've spoken to on MAL lol.
Dec 4, 2014 10:57 AM

Nov 2013
Yup,it did. Before I was watching anime..i watched TV shows/movies once in a while..but now,i don`t even turn on the TV anymore.

The movies are all the same for me,they DON`T have an original story,and the same things occur over and over again.

Same with TV shows...even though i didn`t watch then often before,i`m now getting awfully bored of them. I can`t sit for 30 mins and watch a TV show anymore,it`s waay to boring.

But again,this is just my opinion...i`m not trying to start a fight on this topic,you movie lovers out there ^~^
This is where I`d put my signature...If i had one.
Dec 4, 2014 10:59 AM

May 2013
SoulReaper05 said:
Yup,it did. Before I was watching anime..i watched TV shows/movies once in a while..but now,i don`t even turn on the TV anymore.

The movies are all the same for me,they DON`T have an original story,and the same things occur over and over again.

Same with TV shows...even though i didn`t watch then often before,i`m now getting awfully bored of them. I can`t sit for 30 mins and watch a TV show anymore,it`s waay to boring.

But again,this is just my opinion...i`m not trying to start a fight on this topic,you movie lovers out there ^~^

How ironic.
Dec 4, 2014 11:25 AM

Aug 2014
for regular TV yes
for movies no
Dec 4, 2014 11:30 AM
Feb 2014
Movies, no. To me, there's a lot to choose from, and there are lots of non-Japanese movies I consider better than most anime I've seen.

Regular TV, yes. I don't watch it unless it's sports or the news. I'm not big on the primetime favorites and cult followings alike.
Dec 4, 2014 11:33 AM

Jun 2014
No, not at all.
Dec 4, 2014 11:38 AM

Jun 2011
no but the 3 of them seem to be ganging up on my love for games :(
though I bought the ps4 about a week ago and it has been rekindled a bit (hoping for more during this weekend)
Dec 4, 2014 11:56 AM

Dec 2013
SoulReaper05 said:

There are some really good movies with original plots still being made although most people might not see those particular movies with the constant bombardment of superhero movies being made (I love Superhero movies though.)
Dec 4, 2014 12:12 PM

Jan 2014
RandomPerson6 said:
KokkoClaus said:
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 4, 2014 12:14 PM

Dec 2013
Not really. Most of the TV & movies that appeal to me were made a long time ago anyway and I've giiven up on Hollywood.
Dec 4, 2014 12:15 PM

Apr 2013
Western TV shows>>>>Anime

Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Band of Brothers (miniseries), Arrested Development>x10 the best anime
Dec 4, 2014 12:18 PM

Feb 2010
Protaku94 said:
KokkoClaus said:

They're all free...
Um .... not really. I play on consoles, and I prefer to actually own my movies and TV shows, so that's where it's costly for me. I just stream animes and call it a day.

That's your choice then, but you could as well pirate everything western so it's not 'definitely the cheapest option' just because you willingly pay money for other hobbies but not for anime. That's not even close to being an argument. If anything it's weird you're more inclined to pay for hobbies you seem to get less enjoyment out when compared to anime.
Dec 4, 2014 12:24 PM
Feb 2014
Yeah, I think it has. Since I started watching anime about a year and a half ago, I never bothered with Western TV anymore simply because there's so much anime out there.
I made a 16-bit Sega Genesisr remix of Baccano's OP here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRjdBo0z0k

Please check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsej4tgCoXDgVH3J7M3NMgw
I do 8-bit remixes, 16-bit remixes, and orchestrations of video game and anime soundtracks. Please like, comment, and subscribe!

Dec 4, 2014 12:26 PM

Nov 2009
No
I love tv shows
-☾✩
Dec 4, 2014 12:30 PM

May 2013
Not really. While I watch far less TV and Movies than used to, I still fully enjoy them when I finally do get around to watching them so long as I personally pick them out rather than just randomly flicking through the channels.

I do see where you are coming from though. You find something far more exciting and what you used to find great doesn't appear to be as good as you remember it to be. It's like upgrading from the PS2 to the PS3.
Dec 4, 2014 12:31 PM

Apr 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Protaku94 said:

That's your choice then, but you could as well pirate everything western so it's not 'definitely the cheapest option' just because you willingly pay money for other hobbies but not for anime. That's not even close to being an argument. If anything it's weird you're more inclined to pay for hobbies you seem to get less enjoyment out when compared to anime.
I collect(ed) DVDs. Now I've moved on the Blu rays, but we all know how ridiculous the prices for anime Blu rays are. And it's not an argument. It's my opinion and choice.
Dec 4, 2014 12:32 PM

Nov 2014
I'm a huge a fan of comedy, and I've realized I really like Western comedy. So when I need a break from Nichijou or One Piece comedy, I head there.
Basically, I watch anime not because it's anime, but because I like it. I treat it the same as Western shows, but with slightly more appealing characters.
Dec 4, 2014 12:36 PM

Dec 2013
No, in fact anime made me realize that I love western TV shows even more.
Dec 4, 2014 12:37 PM

Jul 2014
xbobx said:
No.

Agreed.

Actually I think the new cartoons nowadays are shit anyway, so I never watched them in the first place.

Dec 4, 2014 12:37 PM

May 2013
robis798 said:
No, in fact anime made me realize that I love western TV shows even more.

Not glorious Latvian soap operas?
Dec 4, 2014 12:42 PM

Aug 2013
I haven't had a TV in my house in 6 years so....indifferent.
Dec 4, 2014 1:01 PM

Aug 2011
I've never been very into movies, so other than your yearly Disney/Pixar film I haven't really watched a movie in a long time.

And I don't actively watch TV other than the news in the morning, although I'm pretty sure it's the lack of variety and not the anime making it boring.

Dec 4, 2014 1:09 PM

Feb 2010
Protaku94 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I collect(ed) DVDs. Now I've moved on the Blu rays, but we all know how ridiculous the prices for anime Blu rays are. And it's not an argument. It's my opinion and choice.

It's always easy to say that after something you phrased like a fact was proven to be wrong. That's why everyone loves subjectivity and opinions, you can just exit any argument at any point without having to re-evaluate your statements.
Not that saying that anime is the cheapest medium between the 3 was anything but a factually wrong statement, but if it makes you feel better to think of it as an unrefutable opinion feel free to do so, I'm used to it on MAL.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 9 hours ago

31 by Daviljoe193 »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - May 1

43 by logopolis »»
5 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime of each year from 2010 - 2020 ( 1 2 3 4 )

xAki1ra_ - May 21, 2021

162 by maya2003s »»
5 minutes ago

» Why there is no polyamory/non-monogamy in yaoi/yuri?

Sanjay63773 - 22 minutes ago

2 by Eleben »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime Dubs from early 2000's - early 2010's

EverRealm - Yesterday

8 by Zalis »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.