Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 7, 2014 4:11 AM

Jul 2008
While the OP's question was poorly defined, charting the quality of anime by decade or half-decade would be absolutely fascinating if done by someone who had watched the requisite hundreds of series across each period. (So several times more than I have)

For instance, here is what I come up with; (keep in mind I'm far from an expert!)

pre-1970- The very early years. Astro Boy comes out in 1963. Likely the first sports anime (about baseball of course), Star of the Giants, is released in 1968. Other shounen like the first version of Cyborg 009 is released in 1968 and Tiger Mask in late 1969. While there were some interesting manga that started coming out close to this this time (Golgo 13, Tezuka's own "Black Jack"), the medium seems solely aimed at kids. Not very interesting for me, personally.

1970-1979- Some iconic works come out in this decade; Ashita no Joe, Doraemon, Rose of Versailles, Galaxy Express 999, and the very first Gundam! These are largely still shounen and shoujo adaptations though, albeit slightly more interesting ones, even as the Gekija movement really starts becoming popular in manga.

1980-1984- Tons and tons of mecha (Voltron, among countless others!), but also some of the first mature works we have seen in the genre. I'm specifically thinking of the outstanding Golgo 13: The Professional (1983). Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind comes out in 1984, leading to the establishment of Studio Ghibli in 1985. Probably the first era where I have seen and enjoyed anime from.

1985-1989- The era of shounen! Hokuto no Ken is a definite highlight and still one of my favorite examples of the genre. The watchable Dragon Ball runs from 1986 to 1989 only to be followed by the vastly inferior, less manga-faithful Dragon Ball Z in 1989. However, we also get some excellent mature, violent movies following in the footsteps of Golgo 13; Vampire Hunter D (1985) and of course, Akira (1988). The end of the decade also sees the beginning of the rise of violent science fiction OVAs, perhaps spurred on by the success of Akira. (I particularly like the adaptation of JoJo author Araki's excellent BAOH in 1989) Legend of the Galactic Heroes begins in 1988, which I still have yet to watch. During this same time, more Rumiko Takahashi works get adapted into anime, culminating with the beginning of Ranma 1/2 in 1989. Yuck. Can't call myself a fan of this era overall (or maybe I haven't seen all it has to offer?), but there are definitely some excellent works from the period!

1990-1994- A lot more shounen, but also a lot of excellent OVAs and movies. Yu Yu Hakusho from 1992 was damn cool when I was a kid. Big fan of the JoJo OVA from 1993, and to this day, the excellent 1994 Street Fighter animated movie is the only SF-related anime that doesn't suck, and by far the best video game anime adaptation. Ninja Scroll comes out in 1993, too. Shoujo also becomes more popular around this time; Sailor Moon begins in 1992. Similar feeling to the late 80s; definitely some works I like, but not horribly impressed by the period overall.

1995-1999- Now this is an era I am a huge fan of! Berserk in 1997 and Cowboy Bebop in 1998 are both masterpieces. While deeply flawed, I still have a soft spot for Gundam Wing (1995), too. Also the beginning of some incredibly long-running shounen, with the release of One Piece in 1999 and Detective Conan in 1996. Haven't watched the former, but I do enjoy the latter. In a sense, one can also count the outstanding Initial D as part of that, as First Stage is released in 1998. Also the beginning of the great Satoshi Kon's (RIP) full-length features, as Perfect Blue is released in 1998.

2000-2004- Probably my absolute favorite era! We get Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust in 2000, my favorite anime series, Samurai Champloo in 2004, and my favorite anime movie, Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door in 2001. I haven't even mentioned the two phenomenal Grappler Baki seasons in 2001, or Kon making Millennium Actress in 2001, Tokyo Godfathers in 2003, and Paranoia Agent in 2004. The outstanding shouen adaptation Fullmetal Alchemist is from 2003, which I vastly prefer to Brotherhood. Dead Leaves from 2004 is also nice, by a certain rather famous director, who also did the great FLCL in 2000...

2005-2009- Still a very strong period. Akagi is adapted in 2006 and Kaiji in 2007. I'm enjoying what I have seen thus far from Gurren Lagann, again from 2007, although that's really no surprise given what I wrote above about Dead Leaves. Baccano from 2007 is very good, too. While not quite as sensational as the manga, I love the Detroit Metal City OVA from 2008. Bartender from 2006 is unique and incredible. There are some other very good if not quite great shows from this period, like Michiko e Hatchin and Souten no Ken. Huge fan of 2006's Death Note as well. 2009 also sees the tremendously innovative, insane, and criminally overlooked Korean anime "The Story of Mr. Sorry".

2010-2014- Hard to judge. I have watched far less anime during this time period, so I don't feel as qualified to say. Admittedly though, some of what I have watched has been very underwhelming. Panty and Stocking from 2010 was a good parody. It does seem like there is more mindless moe bullshit, but I'm sure some quality series have slipped through the cracks.

That's all based on my admittedly limited viewing. (Again, I think someone who has seen 500+ anime works distributed across every era would have more insight)

However, for me the high point was the 1995-2009 period, with 2000-2004 being the absolute pinnacle of the medium. Not enamored with the 80s or early 90s, although they had some excellent works, and least confident in my appraisal of 2010-2014 due to my limited viewing of it.
Oct 7, 2014 5:11 AM

Nov 2012
Anime is just as shit as it's always been, the only difference is that it's more popular than ever so the shit is just more easily accessible. And I gotta say, 2014 is shaping up to be a pretty damn solid year for anime (especially if you consider 2013 which was a pretty bad year overall despite some standouts) with a few promising shows out over the past couple days so the timing of your post couldn't have been worse.
Oct 7, 2014 8:38 AM

Jul 2012
@YoungVagabond Nice breakdown, but it's hard to judge something when you go for a selective amount of genres and types of shows.
Oct 7, 2014 8:41 AM

Jul 2013
winmac32 said:
People like to say everything is going downhill in some fashion.

"Music isn't what it used to be"
"Movies are all remakes"
"People are becoming stupid"
"This generation is ruined by technology"

People like to think worse of new things for whatever reason.
It's true that new things are "different", but just because something is "different" doesn't mean it's "worse".

Popular music is more terrible than ever
Movies are all remakes and adaptations for the most part
More stupid people have a voice thanks to the internet
See point 3

any questions
Oct 7, 2014 8:48 AM

Jul 2012

This is pretty true actually. Will we ever see Mozart and Bach-style pieces nowadays? No.
Oct 7, 2014 8:53 AM

Jul 2014
YoungVagabond said:

2005-2009- Still a very strong period. Akagi is adapted in 2006 and Kaiji in 2007. I'm enjoying what I have seen thus far from Gurren Lagann, again from 2007, although that's really no surprise given what I wrote above about Dead Leaves. Baccano from 2007 is very good, too. While not quite as sensational as the manga, I love the Detroit Metal City OVA from 2008. Bartender from 2006 is unique and incredible. There are some other very good if not quite great shows from this period, like Michiko e Hatchin and Souten no Ken. Huge fan of 2006's Death Note as well. 2009 also sees the tremendously innovative, insane, and criminally overlooked Korean anime "The Story of Mr. Sorry".

Being a little bit of a prick here but;.............. you FORGOT FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD.

Edit: Though you did state it in your 2000 part. One of them tl;dr moments just happened.
"Hi!"
Oct 7, 2014 8:54 AM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:

This is pretty true actually. Will we ever see Mozart and Bach-style pieces nowadays? No.
Stylistically, sure, but I'd actually argue that music is better than ever now because its a lot easier for creative people to get their music heard.
Oct 7, 2014 8:54 AM

Jul 2008
I wouldn't say downhill since there are series with different quality and standards every season :) if you want to watch only the good ones each season then by all means, go for it :D
Oct 7, 2014 9:10 AM

Nov 2010
mayukachan said:

Yes, there are still classical composers.
Oct 7, 2014 9:15 AM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
mayukachan said:

But can they write classics?
Oct 7, 2014 9:15 AM

Sep 2013
I think it is in the way. Companies probably only want to spend money on things they know they can make their money back numerous times over. As annoying as it is seeing literally countless of the same type of shows come out it makes finding really good series much more enjoyable.
Oct 7, 2014 9:22 AM

Sep 2014
I think Kingdom disproves this thread's notion.

While not a high end great like Kingdom, Log Horizon is pretty awesome as well.

Anime like those, is definitely not a indication that anime is going down hill, that's for damn sure, infact if a small handful of more anime gets released that are anywhere near as good as those, it could be claimed we're actually entering into a new Golden Age.

We'll have to see what next year brings though, to find out if that's the case..
Oct 7, 2014 9:24 AM

Jul 2013
Feaor said:
mayukachan said:

Stylistically, sure, but I'd actually argue that music is better than ever now because its a lot easier for creative people to get their music heard.

Drake just moved to 8th place all time for most Billboard 100 hits

music is dead
Oct 7, 2014 9:25 AM

Jul 2012
hybreezy said:
music taste is dead

FTFY
Oct 7, 2014 9:30 AM

Oct 2012
hybreezy said:
Feaor said:

Drake just moved to 8th place all time for most Billboard 100 hits

music is dead
I think you'll find that popular ≠ good for most media, there is plenty of music out there that is good if not better than before. How else would I be able to listen to my hipster trash?
Oct 7, 2014 9:34 AM

Jul 2013
What do you define as hipster music these days
Oct 7, 2014 9:39 AM

Oct 2012
hybreezy said:
Seeing as Hipster really isn't a genre it can be anything but I guess it tends to be Indie Folk/Pop/Rock or something like Post Rock.
Oct 7, 2014 11:25 AM

Sep 2012
hybreezy said:

Music from dead musicians as that way you listen to Underground music which was written by people who are now underground as well.
Oct 7, 2014 12:14 PM

Nov 2010
mayukachan said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Don't see why not.
Oct 7, 2014 12:16 PM

Apr 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
mayukachan said:

Don't see why not.
if they are classical composers why wouldn't they be able to write classics? But if you mean that they can write songs they wrote a few hundreds years ago, then it is impossible because they already are written.
Oct 7, 2014 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
Guys anime is going downhill because the OP only knows about the best anime from the 90s, and is aware of everything today.
Oct 7, 2014 12:24 PM

Jul 2012
Ahhh, people are misunderstanding me. I mean like Fur Elise, Lacrimosa, Jupiter, New World Symphony...Piece that would be used for piano exams, or famous orchestras, or even used in Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Oct 7, 2014 12:26 PM

Dec 2012
Not really.
Oct 7, 2014 12:28 PM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
Not really.
^ this
Oct 7, 2014 12:31 PM

Nov 2010
mayukachan said:
Ahhh, people are misunderstanding me. I mean like Fur Elise, Lacrimosa, Jupiter, New World Symphony...Piece that would be used for piano exams, or famous orchestras, or even used in Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Most likely. I don't see why not. I don't think any of us are so deep into the classical music world that we can tell though.

Classical music is sort of different though because unlike with other genres. People aren't as focused on making their own but instead perfecting and finding alternate interpretations to the great ones made before.
Oct 7, 2014 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
do you guys not realize that 500 years from now people will look back on music from our time as classics?

Things change, and classical orchestra music wont always be fondly remembered.
Oct 7, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2014
SolviteSekai said:
do you guys not realize that 500 years from now people will look back on music from our time as classics?

This is actually a really good statement. *clap *clap.
Oct 7, 2014 12:48 PM

Jun 2014
Anime going downhill? I agree with you there had been some shitty shows lately,but dude anime will never fall with masterpieces such as Zankyou no Terror. With series like that here is still a hope
Power itself must be abolished -and not solely because of a refusal to be dominated, wich is at the heart of all traditional struggles- but also, just as violently, in the refusal to dominate. Intelligence cannot, can never be in power because intelligence consist of this double refusal.
Jean Baudrillard
Oct 7, 2014 12:53 PM

Mar 2014
TomikuZz said:
Anime going downhill? I agree with you there had been some shitty shows lately,but dude anime will never fall with masterpieces such as Zankyou no Terror. With series like that here is still a hope

Good joke bruh.
Oct 7, 2014 12:57 PM

Jan 2013
Wyzdm said:
Everything changed when HunterxHunter ended

yeah there was one less generic shounen anime airing.
Oct 7, 2014 1:02 PM

Jan 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
SolviteSekai said:

Eh, no particular proof or evidence for this. I think that's just making a claim that sounds good in theory but is ultimately unwarranted and impossible to justify. In fact, history suggests that many "classic" works of art continue to remain classics over the centuries.

Case in point are Greek/Roman works. Homer's works were classics in 1300 and they are still classics today (and held in wide regard) and obviously that's much more than a 500 year difference.

Yeah and songs by Elvis, Johnny Cash and Dean Martin are already being seen as classics.

Just because pop music sucks in 2014 doesnt mean music is dead.
Oct 7, 2014 1:05 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:

Imagine, in music class, the conductor comes in "Okay guys, so we're going to analyze Minaj's "Anaconda"."

But srsly, no, I doubt the future will forget about Beethoven or other classical people. I still study 1600s music in choir class, so yeah.

IntroverTurtle said:
Most likely. I don't see why not. I don't think any of us are so deep into the classical music world that we can tell though.

I kind of am, so yeah that's why I was bringing it up lul

Wyzdm said:

I'm x still x not x over x that.
Oct 7, 2014 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
mayukachan said:
SolviteSekai said:

Imagine, in music class, the conductor comes in "Okay guys, so we're going to analyze Minaj's "Anaconda".

But srsly, no, I doubt the future will forget about Beethoven or other classical people. I still study 1600s music in choir class, so yeah.

IntroverTurtle said:

I kind of am, so yeah that's why I was bringing it up lul

Wyzdm said:

I'm x still x not x over x that.

Yeah bro because

EVERY SINGLE SONG FROM 2000-2014 is just Nicki Minaj's Anaconda.

Can you stop being a hipster and assuming everyone needs to know how much you love old and less popular things?

Also I honestly hate to pull this card, but you arent learning about how music will evolve over the ages in high school choir class.

There is jazz band. There are rock music clubs. There are other genres of music that arent played by an orchestra that are looked to as classics.

When you make your way out into the world you will realize how little of it is present in high school/college classes.
Oct 7, 2014 1:08 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:
Yeah bro because

Can you stop being a hipster and assuming everyone needs to know how much you love old and less popular things?

I'm just kidding about that lol

I'm not assuming anything. My original point was that new music =/= old music. We will not get older music in this era. I'm not trying to enforce anything... :| Annnnd I wish I could be hipster but I like modern things too sadly.

No, we're not learning music evolution in music class at all. I can list a couple of jazz bands and rock bands but it's easier to list prominent figures instead.
Oct 7, 2014 1:10 PM

Jan 2013
mayukachan said:
SolviteSekai said:
Yeah bro because

I'm just kidding about that lol

No, I'm not assuming anything. My original point was that new music =/= old music. We will not get older music in this era. I'm not trying to enforce anything... :| Annnnd I wish I could be hipster but I like modern things too sadly.

200 years from now people might be half mutants and think Anaconda is the best shit ever.

To say in 2014 that people in the future wont like music we dont like is ignorant.

People hated rock music when it first came out. Turns out now people hate mordern pop music.
Oct 7, 2014 1:13 PM

Jul 2012
What exactly are we arguing about though? And how off topic is this even...

I thought a lot of people still don't like rock music and pop is really popular now.
Oct 7, 2014 1:29 PM

Jul 2013
SolviteSekai said:
Wyzdm said:

we'll be blessed with this again when Shippuden catches up to the manga ending
Oct 7, 2014 1:29 PM

Aug 2014
Every medium only improves with time.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Oct 7, 2014 1:30 PM

Jan 2013
hybreezy said:
SolviteSekai said:

Anime will be much better off when Naruto Shitpudding ends.
Oct 7, 2014 1:30 PM

Dec 2013
hybreezy said:
SolviteSekai said:

Shots fired
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 7, 2014 1:34 PM

Sep 2013
[/quote]
FlareStar101 said:
hybreezy said:

Shots fired

Killed a nigger.
rrexylOct 7, 2014 1:39 PM
Oct 7, 2014 1:34 PM

Mar 2014
FlareStar101 said:
hybreezy said:

Shots fired

At who? Who still likes Shippudden on the forums.
Oct 7, 2014 1:35 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
FlareStar101 said:
Shots fired

At who? Who still likes Shippudden on the forums.

you are saying it wrong.

its shitpudding
Oct 7, 2014 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
FirasMas said:
-Klad- said:
Well... you could say that.
What's happening actually is vice versa. Pre 2000 anime had actually incredibile storywriting, but not a good animation. While anime nowdays have great animation but crap story. It's like they waste a huge buget on a shitty story.

but i don't care about the animation .. why would someone like an anime only for it's art ?! .. i agree with the vise versa thing ... and damn it's so irritating .. i hope all animes industries enjoy printing money over nothing .
art=/=animation.

Why would you watch anime for its animation? Aside from the fact that anime...is animation...i don't know.
Oct 7, 2014 1:44 PM

Mar 2014
I'm still searching for this masterful storytelling that old anime had. Why does no one talk about the crap from the 90's? Did these people just skip them?
Oct 7, 2014 1:46 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
I'm still searching for this masterful storytelling that old anime had. Why does no one talk about the crap from the 90's? Did these people just skip them?
I think people are just stuck in nostalgia or have the mindset that older anime are better in general, which is still just opinion.
Oct 7, 2014 1:50 PM

Jul 2012
sullynathan said:

inb4 LoGH enthusiasts come
Oct 7, 2014 2:07 PM
Nov 2013
maybe you're the one who's going downhill.
Oct 7, 2014 2:10 PM

Jan 2013
mayukachan said:
sullynathan said:

inb4 LoGH enthusiasts come

that moment when you realize that LOGH wasnt the only anime to come out during that entire decade and that a bunch of shit nobody remembers did.
Oct 7, 2014 2:14 PM

Jul 2012
^ lol it's not, but its one of the only older shows that get thrown around often (other than monster)
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

87 by mentalmondai »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 48 minutes ago

5 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
7 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 5 hours ago

91 by Abomination_suah »»
12 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

38 by zckfox »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - Today

6 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.