Forum Settings
Forums

Why are some anime classified as shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei?

New
Sep 28, 2014 12:48 PM

May 2013
They aren't genres, they're just names for manga demographics. they have nothing to do with anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 28, 2014 12:52 PM

Feb 2013
do you consider cars, demons, superpower or samurai as genres?
Sep 28, 2014 1:05 PM

May 2013
romagia said:
do you consider cars, demons, superpower or samurai as genres?

Not the same thing at all, but yes.
KokkoSep 28, 2014 1:19 PM
Sep 28, 2014 1:12 PM

Mar 2012
As demographica they are inconsistent, just compare FT/Big 3on one hand to other more mature anime also listed as "shonen"

On the other hand so much childish/girly crap is listed as seinen.

Also different cultures mean different understanding/tolerance/shit-givance(lol) about what's mature and what's not. And anime is watched by people across the world.

So no, it's not a demographic just because idiots decided to copy-paste the last person they always agree with who said it.
End Zionazism
Sep 28, 2014 1:15 PM

Dec 2012
kokkoderrisch said:
They aren't genres, they're just names for manga demographics. they have nothing to do with anime.

Who cares, as long as long as they help people find anime they're looking for? Also demographics are not exclusive to manga.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 28, 2014 1:17 PM

May 2012
They are the target audience.
Sep 28, 2014 1:17 PM

Mar 2013
Ever heard of manga adaptations?

There's a reason they're the only ones that have those tags.
Sep 28, 2014 1:25 PM

Jun 2013
So I can feel mature when I choose to watch a seinen.
Sep 28, 2014 1:25 PM

Feb 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
romagia said:

Not the same thing at all, but yes.
i dont.
Sep 28, 2014 1:26 PM

May 2013
fst said:

Many Gundam series that don't have any manga adaptations have the shounen tag.
What's even weirder is that War in The Pocket's anime has a shounen tag while the manga doesn't.
Sep 28, 2014 1:27 PM

May 2013
romagia said:
i don't

From Oxford's dictionary:

A style or category of art, music, or literature:
"the spy thriller is a very masculine genre"
Sep 28, 2014 1:35 PM

Oct 2013
FloatsBoats said:

Like K-on lol
Sep 28, 2014 1:40 PM

Nov 2010
Because MAL is very inconsistent.

Original anime get demographic tags. Only battle shounens get the shounen tag, etc.
IntroverTurtleSep 28, 2014 1:44 PM
Sep 28, 2014 1:43 PM

Mar 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
fst said:

Many Gundam series that don't have any manga adaptations have the shounen tag.
What's even weirder is that War in The Pocket's anime has a shounen tag while the manga doesn't.

Well then somebody done goof'd. Hardly surprising considering it's MAL.
Sep 28, 2014 1:46 PM

May 2013
Mikasa said:
As demographica they are inconsistent, just compare FT/Big 3on one hand to other more mature anime also listed as "shonen"

So all seinen have to be grimdark and edgy, while all shounen have to be about nakama power? Seinen targets males 17-49, and there's a vast amount of different tastes in that demographic. Some want action, some want cute girls.
Red_Tuesday said:
Seinen is supposed to mean 'mature', and "Upotte!!" falls into that category according to CR.

Saw the first episode and never had my eyes rolled further back into my head.

Either these genres are completely meaningless, or the people tagging them need to eat more walnuts.

Seinen isn't supposed to mean mature, and it isn't a genre. It's a demographic.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
ZelotSep 29, 2014 6:47 AM
Sep 28, 2014 1:48 PM

Jun 2013
keragamming said:
FloatsBoats said:

Like watching K-on! lol

Yes I tell all my friends I watch K-on regularly and they're jelly of my mental age.
Sep 28, 2014 1:52 PM

May 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
"Upotte!" is tagged as seinen. Seinen is supposed to mean 'mature', unless I'm mistaken.

Shows how utterly meaningless it is, stumbled upon Upotte on crunchyroll and had my eyes rolled back into my skull almost 180 degrees.

Why are you repeating this as some kind of mantra? Seinen is just a demographic, it has nothing to do with maturity at all.
Seinen means "young man".
Sep 28, 2014 2:05 PM

Nov 2010
Kruszer said:
kokkoderrisch said:

Who cares, as long as long as they help people find anime they're looking for? Also demographics are not exclusive to manga.
shoujo, seinen, shounen, and josei are exclusive to manga. Anime are much more broad and are more based on days and time.
Sep 28, 2014 2:08 PM

Mar 2012
kokkoderrisch said:
Mikasa said:

So all seinen have to be grimdark and edgy, while all shounen have to be about nakama power? Seinen targets males 17-49, and there's a vast amount of different tastes in that demographic. Some want action, some want cute girls.

So classifying them according to age is pretty dumb and pointless in the first place.
End Zionazism
Sep 28, 2014 3:23 PM

Feb 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
romagia said:
i don't

yes spy thriller is as much of a genre as gay pansexual transexual is a demographic

from google dictionary
a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

the style of anime or manga from shounen, shoujo or seinen, josei is made to appeal to said demographic, so that's how they could be considered as genres

mal should have an add genre button, just like for anime
Sep 28, 2014 3:27 PM
Mar 2011
lol laot of the more popluar seinen are not dark at all there very light hearted

ie manga demos are not like fim age ratings form any were in the world minus me cause im odd i never saw people my on age reading seinen zines when oi was in school but i enjoyed them
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 28, 2014 3:37 PM

Apr 2013
kokkoderrisch said:

They should not be used for anime. The fact that some people put them as tag for anime is only the result of incomprehension of what those words really designate for the manga industry.
And just reading this thread shows you very well how much that incomprehension is huge. Thinking that mature/dark works are seinen again and again... Lots of people also think that shounen manga designate the nekketsu genre only...
ZefyrisSep 28, 2014 3:41 PM
Sep 28, 2014 8:03 PM

Apr 2008
I just always figured the tags were a label for the target audience is all.
Sep 28, 2014 8:33 PM

Jul 2014
Xannieh said:
I just always figured the tags were a label for the target audience is all.

I thought the same. But then I don't usually pay attention to what genre something is in or what tags it might have. So it's not something that I've ever took the time to think about.
TFO1013Sep 28, 2014 8:49 PM
Sep 28, 2014 8:39 PM

Mar 2014
Truthfully I was expecting intelligent retorts to the op's question, since I assumed that most people on MAL know that seinen and shonen are only demographics.
You're right op, they're only demographic's. MAL is stupid for not changing that.
Sep 28, 2014 11:07 PM

Mar 2012
sullynathan said:
Truthfully I was expecting intelligent retorts to the op's question, since I assumed that most people on MAL know that seinen and shonen are only demographics.
You're right op, they're only demographic's. MAL is stupid for not changing that.

So instead of using logic to justify it you just reiterate that they are demographics and call this intelligence?
End Zionazism
Sep 28, 2014 11:25 PM

Jan 2014
Mikasa said:
sullynathan said:

So instead of using logic to justify it you just reiterate that they are demographics and call this intelligence?
Is it really hard to accept that your favorite anime is originally targeted at young boys?
Sep 28, 2014 11:32 PM

Mar 2012
wanderingplayboy said:
Mikasa said:

Is it really hard to accept that your favorite anime is originally targeted at young boys?

It's not a question of what I accept.
So: Is it really hard to come up with a hint of a logical explanation was to why these inconsistent classifications are still used to sort according to age?

So far the only reason is that they are japanese words that mean old/young etc.
But they never bother to even organize it right because it's all mixed up.

Simple-minded logic.
End Zionazism
Sep 28, 2014 11:45 PM
Mar 2011
The fact is is there is aimed demographic and then there the actually viewer ship

for example precure shoujo anime largely veied by older men 30-40 Years old
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 29, 2014 12:25 AM

Jan 2014
Mikasa said:

So: Is it really hard to come up with a hint of a logical explanation was to why these inconsistent classifications are still used to sort according to age?

Simple-minded logic.
Age and gender, though.

Because manga is serialized in magazines and each magazine has its target audience. So you are not satisfied with the way Japanese classify their manga? Doesn't change the fact that HxH is a shonen manga.
Sep 29, 2014 6:48 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Thread Cleaned
Removed all simple posts as well as merged a few double posts. Please do edit a message rather than double posting.
Sep 29, 2014 7:14 AM

May 2013
romagia said:
kokkoderrisch said:

yes spy thriller is as much of a genre as gay pansexual transexual is a demographic

from google dictionary
a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

the style of anime or manga from shounen, shoujo or seinen, josei is made to appeal to said demographic, so that's how they could be considered as genres

I think I'll stick to Oxford's, it's got a bit more reputation than google.
Sep 29, 2014 8:20 AM

Feb 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
romagia said:

from google dictionary

I think I'll stick to Oxford's, it's got a bit more reputation than google.
funnily enough, google still takes data from oxford, but the american english one
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/genre
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/genre
Sep 29, 2014 9:58 AM

Jun 2010
kokkoderrisch said:

Yeah you are right. But there are certain stereotypes regarding storylines and character setup that have been established and that are associated with some of these demographics. Sure they are not present in all titles that are classified within the same demographic - but if a title actually uses these stereotypical setups I see no problem labeling them for example as shounen or shoujo.
Sep 29, 2014 10:00 AM

Oct 2013
I don't really like shoujo, the art style looks plain, and the romance in it is pretty generic, there are some gems in it though.
Sep 29, 2014 10:02 AM

Dec 2012
Just MAL being wrong and inaccurate.
Sep 29, 2014 10:02 AM

Dec 2012
Just MAL being wrong and inaccurate.
Sep 29, 2014 1:57 PM

Sep 2012
Mikasa said:

Simple-minded logic.

Mangas published in a shounen magazine are shounen, Mangas published in seinen magazine are seinen...

How is that all mixed up? It's pretty straightforward.
Sep 29, 2014 1:59 PM

Nov 2010
Don't do it. You know his answer.
Sep 29, 2014 2:07 PM

May 2013
SetsukoHara said:
Mikasa said:

Simple-minded logic.

Mangas published in a shounen magazine are shounen, Mangas published in seinen magazine are seinen...

How is that all mixed up? It's pretty straightforward.

He's very insecure :/
Sep 29, 2014 2:10 PM

Jan 2013
because some people are dumb and wont watch anime unless its tagged as seinen
Sep 29, 2014 4:01 PM

Mar 2012
wanderingplayboy said:
Mikasa said:

Simple-minded logic.
Age and gender, though.

Because manga is serialized in magazines and each magazine has its target audience. So you are not satisfied with the way Japanese classify their manga? Doesn't change the fact that HxH is a shonen manga.

Why do you have the obsessive need to bring HxH into everythinf?
In any case, you say it depends on target age, yet content says otherwise, you've got really childisj stuff in Seinen, and really mature stuff as "shonen", this contradiction shows that the very thing that people use to categorize them into these labels is mixed up.
If your anawer will be "people of the same age have different tastes" then it only solidifies my point of how pointless it is to sort them into what age they are.
End Zionazism
Sep 29, 2014 4:08 PM

Dec 2013
MAL should gonna have all visual novel and light novel adaption got shounen tag , except some specific ones
Sep 29, 2014 7:47 PM

Jan 2014
Mikasa said:

Why do you have the obsessive need to bring HxH into everythinf?

Not really, only when I see your post. :"|
In any case, you say it depends on target age, yet content says otherwise, you've got really childisj stuff in Seinen, and really mature stuff as "shonen", this contradiction shows that the very thing that people use to categorize them into these labels is mixed up.
Childish stuff like what? K-on and the likes? That's because in japan, people categorized as seinen (young men, >18 yo) like it. Grown men enjoyed the cuteness of cute girls doing cute things. Meanwhile stuff you think is 'really mature' apparently (maybe) doesn't really appeal to those young men, or the mangaka himself wanting to make the story that boys can enjoy, that's why it got published in shonen magazine. Content does matter, but it's not for you to judge.
Sep 29, 2014 7:55 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Kruszer said:

shoujo, seinen, shounen, and josei are exclusive to manga. Anime are much more broad and are more based on days and time.

You've lost me. If there's one thing that's a constant in any kind of media, it's who your audience is and those catagories don't really change even if the content that falls into those demographics does.
KruszerSep 29, 2014 7:59 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 29, 2014 8:10 PM

Nov 2010
Kruszer said:
You've lost me. If there's one thing that's a constant in any kind of media, it's who your audience is and those catagories don't really change even if the content that falls into those demographics does.
Not really sure what you're getting at.

My point is that while manga are put into magazines separated by content, they don't decide it's content. And anime in Japan are not separated by demographics like manga are, they're broader. You wouldn't say that's a josei anime, nobody uses it. If you want to find the demographic you go by air time and day. Sunday mornings are kids anime, primetime(like 5 - 8pm or 9pm or whatever) is for families, then there's late night (10 or 11pm to like 3 or something like that in the am) which can be considered otaku anime.
Sep 29, 2014 8:35 PM

Jul 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Kruszer said:

My point is that while manga are put into magazines separated by content, they don't decide it's content. And anime in Japan are not separated by demographics like manga are, they're broader. You wouldn't say that's a josei anime, nobody uses it. If you want to find the demographic you go by air time and day. Sunday mornings are kids anime, primetime(like 5 - 8pm or 9pm or whatever) is for families, then there's late night (10 or 11pm to like 3 or something like that in the am) which can be considered otaku anime.

I too was wondering what you were talking about when you said it was "more based on days and time". Makes a Hell of a lot more sense now.
Sep 30, 2014 12:39 AM

Apr 2013
moonnya said:
MAL should gonna have all visual novel and light novel adaption got shounen tag , except some specific ones

MAL doesn't have any Visual novel. And shounen/shoujo/seinen tag don't exist in the LN category. To boot, you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

IntroverTurtle said:
Kruszer said:

Yes. The airing time is the only thing close of demographic targeting in anime case. And it's age only, obviously.
Sep 30, 2014 2:22 AM

Aug 2009
kokkoderrisch said:

As many anime I have seen I have no idea what the hell those terms mean nor do I care.
Sep 30, 2014 4:07 AM
Mar 2011
as id said on the last page implied demographic and atusl viewer/readership an be very diffrent i use Nanoha and precure as examples

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

49 by B0rt_ »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

8 by cody »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
23 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
35 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.