Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 24, 2014 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well Haru returned and I think he's made up his mind. That's good for him since I support him. Heh, I guess it was kind of him to apologize to Makoto as well. It was also refreshing to see the group remember all their times together as a group. I find Rei's moments to be the most amusing :D

Rating this as 7/10. This was memorable for a summer show! Oh and I kinda like the tunes and imagery they use for the swimming scenes at the end with the boys swimming. I thought Haru did great for that swimming competition. All those tears.
Sep 24, 2014 8:29 AM

Nov 2007
No OP. They are back in Japan. He told everyone about his decision. He also apologized to his friend. His friend also told him why he's going to Tokyo.

The day before national. Nagisa is so gluttony. They also talked about their journey. They also confessed that they already knew about perfection guy asked red hair guy to help out. Then sad moment when realizing it's not the case next year. They completed their final relay and saw the scenery. Red hair guy gave Miyata-san's character the role of captain next year! They also recorded the scenery they saw in letters.

"Clear Blue Departure" w. their future.

"For the future"... is it really the end?
tsubasaloverOct 1, 2014 5:37 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 24, 2014 9:05 AM

Nov 2007
Hmm,i feel underwhelmed :')

But crying Reigisa...byeeeee
Sep 24, 2014 9:11 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Haru finally opens up to his mates about his dream. Good to see the getting along finer than before.

Them reminiscing feels from first season.. Poor Rei and Nagisa..

Relay was pretty smooth, though I preferred an intense match instead of those imageries while they swam.

Rin being concerned about Sousuke's future. Hopefully, he'll heal soon and be back to swimming again.

Decent episode to end the show. 7/10. Won't mind a 3rd season showing how much they have progressed in their respective future paths.

Sep 24, 2014 9:16 AM
Jan 2014
Great way to wrap things up. The pacing was a bit off in the past few episodes, but this one evened it out. To be honest I wouldn't mind if this really was the ending. I don't see how they could further expand the storyline without any hint of decay.

The drama was alright I guess, a tinge bit on the high-end for me. It was completely understandable though.

I feel happy for everyone really, especially Nitori. Glad to see Haru,Rin and Makoto following their dreams.

The span over the picture, taken at the relay finals reminded me of Ping Pong The Animation so much. The ending was more or less very comparable, thus not requiring any future expansion.

It was a fun ride while it lasted. I'll rate this 7/10 just for now, even though the score should realistically be around 6.5.
Sep 24, 2014 9:16 AM

May 2013
This was a good episode. Sad to see the four of them go their separate ways after the tournament. Good to see that Nagisa Rei got to have more members for their swimming club. And Rin and Haru going against each other in the end was nice too. Gonna miss this anime.
Sep 24, 2014 9:19 AM

Dec 2011
I AM SO EMOTIONAL RIGHT NOW
I swear, this episode was perfect. Omg.
I have such a good memories from watching Free! and now it ended! I am so sad, but happy at the same time for everyone.
AND OMG THEY DID THAT PART AT THE END, WHEN THE REF SAYS 'TAKE YOUR MARKS' AND THAT PING NOISE THEN GOES OFF AND THAT PART WAS IN THAT FREE COMMERCIAL THAT AIRED LAST YEAR THAT STARTED ALL THIS.
Sorry for caps, but I am soooo happy with this ending.
Sep 24, 2014 9:20 AM
Jun 2014
I don't think kyoani will make a 3rd season, at most OVAs I reckon.
But WOAH DID I TEAR UP ON THAT ONE MIGHT AS WELL SWIM IN MY TEARS
Anyway, they did well in the relay race, would have liked to see Samezuka's race though.
I felt like the ending was really refreshing and I'm satisfied ^^
Sep 24, 2014 9:29 AM

Aug 2011
SORYt OF CALMER. SORRT OFF?? ALRIGHT WHATEVER.

So basically the only thing I was slightly disappointed this season in general was just pacing; pacing this episode, and Nagisa's episode. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love this series to bits and I loved this episode myself but it was a TAD bit underwhelming in comparison to last season. Juuuust a little. BUT. IT WAS STILL GREAT. Okay the only part that caused that underwhelmed feeling was like right after their relay; everything was rushed, so. But I mean I still loved it and got some things, the scene with the five boys was so fucking precious oh maaaaannn. I think if I marathon the series things will be more clear.

My tentative score is 9/10.
Sep 24, 2014 9:30 AM

Sep 2010
I cried when everyone cried.

I love Free! so much it hurts I doubt there will ever be a third season though. Maybe a movie like with K-On?

9/10 easily
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 24, 2014 9:31 AM

Jan 2014
Hmm i didn't feel such an emotional impact compared to the first season's ending but it's cool that they linked the ending to the preview which started this whole show.
Sep 24, 2014 9:31 AM

Nov 2012
> that whole relay race
> haru smiling
> haru and rin following their dreams
> the swim club gets new members
> that scene at the end that is exactly like in the CM
HOLY SHIT IT WAS PERFECT UGH
so sad to let it go ;____;
and no endcard with "see you next summer" either.. KYOANI THIS CAN'T BE THE END
Sep 24, 2014 9:36 AM

Sep 2013
Waaaah~! That really went by fast~! Actually, maybe a little too fast, because the swimming scene felt too rushed and less intense than the other relays. Then again, I guess that wasn't the purpose of this episode. The 'okaeri' scenes were a nice touch. It was good that they left it as an open ending. Really enjoyed this series overall. Going to miss seeing it every week. ;__;

Sep 24, 2014 9:41 AM
Nov 2013
DoragonessU said:
Waaaah~! That really went by fast~! Actually, maybe a little too fast, because the swimming scene felt too rushed and less intense than the other relays. Then again, I guess that wasn't the purpose of this episode. The 'okaeri' scenes were a nice touch. It was good that they left it as an open ending. Really enjoyed this series overall. Going to miss seeing it every week. ;__;

Sep 24, 2014 9:48 AM

May 2013
Haru finally cares about timing and winning!
Lol, Momo got a boomerang!

When Rei and Nagisa started crying, I felt like crying myself. (T_T)
Dat relay tho. There was so much emotion that I felt it all.
The cherry blossom pool was pretty awesome and so was the burial of letters.

Nitori becomes the new captain in the swim team with Momo, while Rin will wait for Sousuke to heal.
Rei and Nagisa got new members, while Haru and Makoto are in Tokyo.
It ends well for everyone, so it pretty much ends well for me! (^_^)
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Sep 24, 2014 9:51 AM

Jul 2012
najmasakura said:
DoragonessU said:

Well if that's the case, then at least they get to see each other often :'')

I'm happy for everyone, but also really depressed that it's over T_T

{TCO}::..::{Listen}::..::{CCO}

Sep 24, 2014 10:01 AM

Dec 2012
OG-3 said:
I AM SO EMOTIONAL RIGHT NOW
I swear, this episode was perfect. Omg.
I have such a good memories from watching Free! and now it ended! I am so sad, but happy at the same time for everyone.
AND OMG THEY DID THAT PART AT THE END, WHEN THE REF SAYS 'TAKE YOUR MARKS' AND THAT PING NOISE THEN GOES OFF AND THAT PART WAS IN THAT FREE COMMERCIAL THAT AIRED LAST YEAR THAT STARTED ALL THIS.
Sorry for caps, but I am soooo happy with this ending.

;_; I'm gonna miss this show, 8/10.
Sep 24, 2014 10:01 AM
Mar 2012
I didn't much like the recapture part. But the rest was beautiful.

Was that Harus parents next to Makotos family?

I loved the glimpse into the future. Not surprised about Mako-chan wanting to become a teacher, it was pretty obvious that it fits him well.
I wonder what Sousuke is doing though? And way to put pressure on him Rin.
Makoto looks so good as a student there. But he's still looking after Haru. *sigh* On the other hand, I can't imagine Haru managing on his own, somehow.

Ah, I'll miss it.
I'll miss Rin and Makoto. As if my single life wasn't certain enough already, those two totally ruined any other chance now.
Anyway, I'll miss it and I'm sad it's over, but in a way it's good like this. Though I already felt like that after the first season...
Sep 24, 2014 10:09 AM

Sep 2008
I can't...

I just will say...
Skipping this all shipping vibes for BL fans...

Free is really amazing and touching series!

Love it! <3
Sep 24, 2014 10:23 AM

Apr 2013
Great last episode, Complete sadness when Rei started crying. Glad Ai is captain now, hes a cutie. Looks like Haru and Makoto went to Tokyo together.
Enjoyable Season 8/10.
Want 3rd Season! ;_;
Sep 24, 2014 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
I was a little disappointed with the episode.
I'm not talking about the open ending, it was a great open ending, but... as the last episode, it could e better...

I Wonder if there's going to be a sequel next year.
Sep 24, 2014 10:33 AM

Apr 2008
I was already sad when I started watching this episode because I didn't want Free to end, but I completely lost it when Rei started crying. This episode was really emotional! I loved the clips at the end of Haru and Makoto in Tokyo, and Haru going on and doing the swim thing, meeting Rin at an international competition.

To be honest, this episode wasn't particularly great. I found myself a bit irritated in the middle because of the flashbacks, but it didn't last too long. As usual, the soundtrack was grand.

08 / 10 - My eyes are still misty! As unlikely as it is, I'd definitely watch a third season.

Sep 24, 2014 10:45 AM

Aug 2014
Season 2 was entertaining, but season 1 was better.

I did like Sousuke. I also liked how Rin was in season 2, more relaxed.

Season 1 drama was much better. Season 1 drama was very engaging with its drama and characters.

I guess I'm just not a big fan of the whole "what are you going to do in the future?" theme.

Also, Nagisa, Rei, Nitori, the female teacher, the coach, and the former captain's younger brother were pretty much meaningless in this season 2.
oooo3333Jan 29, 1:49 AM
Sep 24, 2014 10:52 AM
Dec 2012
Sad it's over. Really became attached to these characters and all their personalities over the two seasons. It was a nice recap episode with some hints to the future. What do I watch now? :( . I really liked the animation style the studio used, each episode just flowed really well.

I can definitely see a third season possible or at least a movie or ova. I don't know though. With Makoto and Haru in Tokyo and Rin alone in Australia, it won't feel the same. Also Sousuke, not sure what he'll do.

It makes me wonder what Samezuka finished in the nationals. I really want to know what happened with them.

The pool with cherry blossoms was wonderful!

Easily an 8/10, because it was really enjoyable.
sosmetalSep 24, 2014 11:09 AM
Sep 24, 2014 11:17 AM

Nov 2013
Slightly disappointed with this episode. They spent way too much time reminiscing, wanted to see more swimming, especially Rin and Haru actually racing one last time in the relay.
8/10 for now, I'm not sure if I will raise it. I suppose I just liked S1 better.
Sep 24, 2014 11:32 AM

Nov 2012
No where near as good as S1,the Rin x Sousuke melodrama was terrible compared to the Rin x Haru melodrama from S1 5/10.

Honestly just hated disliked Sousuke's character.
VanishingKiraSep 24, 2014 11:36 AM
Sep 24, 2014 11:37 AM

May 2013
I had no expectations for this episode because of last week episode, and I was surprised in a good way, the aeroport scene was sweet ! Aaaw Haru was uneasy, I'm glad he apologized first !!!
Haru Rin,Makoto and Haru follow their dreams (I'm still mad about Haru going pro and how it was treated but oh well I have to deal with it), Sousuke will probably meet Rin again I was happy for him when Rin told him he would wait for him (where was Sousuke at the end btw ? in Australia or just somewhere ??)
Makoto & Haru are still together (yay!), Rin and Haru still race against eachother, Iwatobi had new members......
The race was rushed but really pretty ! Nagisa riding the orca cracked me up tho.

Haaa I wish guys were as attractive as Makoto in my college (Makoto+glasses+flannel *drools*)

It looks like Haru's parents were there (his mom is a beauty and his dad a hottie!), where were they for 2years ??? I thought they were dead or something tbh.

But a part made me laugh :

WTF HAPPENED TO SAMEZUKA ?? Good luck Nitori hahahaha
Vongola_ShugoshaSep 24, 2014 11:42 AM
Sep 24, 2014 11:39 AM

Jul 2013
that was so perfect. I loved this series so much it hurts. when Rei and Nagisa started crying I just lost it. that was so sad.
I really loved how they all found their dreams. that relay was nice too, and they became 6th overall. wow that's great.
and then timeskip to where Haru and Makoto are living in Tokyo. thankyou kyoani;)
and Nagisa and Rei get new members and let's not forget about Ai becoming the new captain. that made me so happy.
this anime made me laugh and cry (and almost wanting to throw my laptop away at the well known future fish) 9/10
I don't think there will be another season, but OVA's please!!!
Sep 24, 2014 11:40 AM

Aug 2012
I'm going to miss this show. Two years I've spent with it.

It was a touching ending. Seems like the club got some hot new members. It's nice seeing Haru and Makoto in Tokyo together. I wonder how Haru got there. What's he in school for or is he doing something else? They should just live together.

I wish there was more Gou throughout the season. I'd love to see a spin-off of them the year after the end, with Gou, Rei, and Nagisa in High School and the other two in Tokyo.
Sep 24, 2014 11:45 AM

May 2013
It broke my heart to click on ''completed'' TT___TT
That was really the perfect ending, and I'm glad Mako and Haru are still together (I was expecting that Haru's training wasnt close to where Makoto was going to study)

haha happy for everyone, really good ending. When I started this show, people told me, ah its just a swimming show. maybe. but its an AMAZING swimming show, with lots of emotions and bodies :3

Thank you Kyoto Animation!! Hope there will be some extras (movie?! 3rd season? extras with Kisumi <3?) but even if there won't be any, I'm really happy with the ending!

Sep 24, 2014 11:52 AM

Feb 2012
Oh man that's how it goes.

Would have liked to see that match at the end lol.
Sep 24, 2014 12:07 PM

Mar 2013
I think this is the end right? Probably no 3. season... :/

Cute series overall .

7/10
Sep 24, 2014 12:12 PM

Feb 2014
Haru telling everyone his dream to swim ~
Makoto telling Haru his dream ~
Nagisa ordering so much after Amakata-sensei tells them it’s her treat lol
Their talk about when they first started the swim club ‘til now ~ Feels
When Rei and Nagisa realize it’s Haru and Makoto’s last year ;_;
Nationals seemed to go by really, really fast. But at least we got to see the results at the end. All of them seeing those sights they’ve seen before. The OST while this was happening… omg ~
Rin’s speech and Ai being the new captain
Rin telling Sousuke that he’ll wait for him to come back
Makoto calling Haru, “Haru-chan” again. Seeing that same scene… one… last time ;_;
Haru writing, “For the Future”
That insert song ~ kyaah
A pool full of flower petals ~ Unlike last time, they get to swim in it!
Their laughs when jumping into the pool, haha
Showing what everyone is doing now ~
Haru and Rin competing in…. America?! …maybe?

So sad to see the series end. I'm really going to miss it. Now my Wednesdays won't be complete.

Vongola_Shugosha said:

But a part made me laugh :

Omg, haha yes, through tears
ScarletCrystalSep 27, 2014 2:28 PM

"Later on, you will become a lively person causing headaches as the shrine-god."
Sep 24, 2014 12:16 PM

Dec 2013
A really sweet episode to end the series with. Even if it felt more like a recap with all that reminiscing, it was okay. I did feel sorry for Rei and Nagisa though, missing their senpai's ;-;
Only 6th place in Nationals :( Still pretty good though. Seeing animals in the water was cheesy the first time, and just as cheesy the second time.
The cherry blossom pool scene was so lovely :')

Haru and Makoto moved to Tokyo together :D At least they won't be alone. I wonder if they'll ever get girlfriends...

Happy for all the character development this season (although some of it was hit or miss), but I think I prefer Season 1 more :)
No "See you next Summer!" Doubt there'll be a 3rd season, not sure what it could be about, but I would watch it anyway :)

In the end I got pretty attached to this series, and I'm glad it had more substance than just hot guys being hot. I'll miss the boys :( Good job, Free! <3
Sep 24, 2014 12:17 PM

Jul 2012
I rewatched the ending twice, but I still don't see Haru's parents..where are they??

Sep 24, 2014 12:23 PM

Jun 2014
As a latecomer to all things Free! I had to power watch the first season and then power watch the second season to get caught up when I discovered this series around episode 6. I have to say that I really enjoyed this season as much as the first!

Free! was definitely more than just an anime about swimming and hot guys! There was a lot of character development, lasting friendships and realizing of dreams than I would have expected from what everyone labeled "an anime about swimming".

My overall score is 9/10!

Glad to see that Haru came back with plans for his future. The scene where everyone was crying made me cry and I really hope that this series gets a third season someday! Would love to see the guys unite and open the time capsule they buried! I'm going to miss these guys and keep my fingers crossed for another season or a future film or OVA showing where the guys are in the future!

My Wednesdays are now over until the Fall season starts. Hoping I find some great animes next season like I did this season. Going to miss a lot of these characters that I watched every week!
CeissaDesisteSep 24, 2014 12:28 PM
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 24, 2014 12:29 PM

May 2013
-Akie said:
I rewatched the ending twice, but I still don't see Haru's parents..where are they??

at 14:21 with makoto's parents, when they show the spectators, a few seconds afeter Kisumi
Sep 24, 2014 12:31 PM

Jun 2013
I'm in the middle about the ending, I pictured it differently but I am not disappointed of what came out... Everything was... just how it should have been in my opinion :) Would love a 3rd season to see how things are going... hopefully we'll get one!
Sep 24, 2014 12:31 PM

Sep 2011
I liked the First season more than the Second tbh. Well, anyway, I'll rate this a 6/10... was gonna do a 5/10 because it felt underwhelming and boring throughout the season, but the final relay brought it up by 1.
Sep 24, 2014 12:36 PM
May 2014
kokkuri said:
-Akie said:

at 14:21 with makoto's parents, when they show the spectators, a few seconds afeter Kisumi

Sep 24, 2014 12:41 PM

Aug 2011
Oh cool! Would've been great to actually see them talk to Haru and all, but I can deal with that.

7/10 overall, though this last ep felt a been bro-homo I guess that's the point :P
Sep 24, 2014 12:43 PM
Mar 2012
I didn't realize Reis and Nagisas families were there, too!

KawaiiSenpaii said:
I wonder if they'll ever get girlfriends...
Haha, probably not. I mean, I can't see how the girls are not completely all over Makoto, but then again he's a single mum already. ;)
Sep 24, 2014 12:48 PM

Sep 2014
So they actually all homo what an ending and I foolishly though 'til the end that my man Haruchan will hit on that tight teacher but no
Sep 24, 2014 12:50 PM

Jul 2012
marcobodts said:
kokkuri said:

Oh wow, thank you for pointing it out. Can't believe I missed that..

Sep 24, 2014 12:54 PM

Jul 2010
Haru wanting to swim and winning matters to be able to win even more.
Makoto's dream really fits him. To want to teach children about the joys of swimming!
Nagisa being merciless about the food ^^

The scene where they talked about walking separate paths ;_; with Rei and Nagisa crying :/
The national race, they were really in the moment! Those tears of joy from winning the first heat! Ending in 6th place in a national level!
The Samezuka's tradition continues! All challengers losing to the captain ^^
Ai being the new captain!
The ED was amazing showing some glimpse of what will happen.
New members, finally for the club! Going to university and swimming!
Sep 24, 2014 1:04 PM
Aug 2011
Wow they've metaphorically helped each other in the relay. Makoto whale carried Nagisa, Nagisa penguins led Rei, etc.
I'm very satisfied with this sequel. The attention to detail was great.

SSSadistic said:
So they actually all homo what an ending and I foolishly though 'til the end that my man Haruchan will hit on that tight teacher but no

shut up Daiki!
Sep 24, 2014 1:13 PM

Aug 2009
Nice ending, maybe a little pushy with character resolution and salty tears down our throat. I liked the guys swimming together and the little montage at the end.
Also, can we please appreciate how Rei and Nitori became the new captains of the swimteams, they both came a long way since the beginning ^^

Only sad thing is that we never saw much of Gou-chan, she has been a great supporter too, but the boys didn't mention her. She is still the manager and get to look at new team members though ^^
Sep 24, 2014 1:27 PM
Mar 2012
mikadocs said:
Only sad thing is that we never saw much of Gou-chan, she has been a great supporter too, but the boys didn't mention her.
True that. Gou's pretty cool and she set up everything in the first season.
Sep 24, 2014 1:27 PM
Mar 2013
Best ending ever!
Sep 24, 2014 1:39 PM

Jun 2008
ALL THE FEELS!

They have all grown up so much. I'm so proud of you guys!
And i'm so glad that Haru found his dream :')
And holy crap Makoto with glasses!!

Perfect ending. It all tied up nicely. Yes they didn't win national but who cares? They did an amazing job.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2014

189 by hidenashi »»
Feb 9, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2014

125 by hidenashi »»
Feb 8, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2014

107 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2014

113 by hidenashi »»
Feb 5, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Free!: Eternal Summer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2014

304 by hidenashi »»
Feb 3, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.