Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2009 12:05 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
F*CK YA KUWABARA! Saving Urameshi like that....hell ya.

RtheO
Mar 30, 2010 3:17 PM

May 2009
L
Simply_Waiting said:
F*CK YA KUWABARA! Saving Urameshi like that....hell ya.

LOL

Finally arc's over, next arc looks more interesting =D
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Dec 8, 2011 5:04 PM

Feb 2009
I quite liked this arc! I watched it in a row and it felt like watching the best of DB and early DBZ together in a much better pacing! Thats enough to tell Im highly entertained with it, its addicting!
Dec 15, 2011 10:37 AM

Jun 2008
Veethorn said:
I quite liked this arc! I watched it in a row and it felt like watching the best of DB and early DBZ together in a much better pacing! Thats enough to tell Im highly entertained with it, its addicting!

Well the battle had DB and DBZ elements with clones and staff but am sorry to say that it was hardly as good. Hope battles get a little better. Also our main pulling a back from dead comeback twice is a little too much.
Jan 7, 2012 12:34 PM

Aug 2010
This episode was okay, I just found the villains in this arc to be lame. But, having read the manga, I can assure everyone that things get awesome later.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 21, 2012 7:45 AM

Nov 2011
Oh I know he is just starting to come into his own.. Looking forward to what else this series has to offer..
Oct 9, 2012 2:50 PM

Sep 2011
Not the best arc
Apr 6, 2013 6:46 PM

Jul 2008
I would drop at this point if there wasn't so many good comments about the tournament arc which comes up soon. Not because I dislike it, but it isn't anything special so far, other than the first few episodes which I really liked.
Aug 7, 2013 11:59 PM

Dec 2012
Can't wait for the crazy ass tournaments to come
Aug 8, 2013 9:41 AM

Mar 2013
Ero-Camel said:
I would drop at this point if there wasn't so many good comments about the tournament arc which comes up soon. Not because I dislike it, but it isn't anything special so far, other than the first few episodes which I really liked.

Exactly what I think. But I like Chapter Black even more so than the Dark Tournament.
Jan 5, 2014 11:56 AM
Nov 2011
when his eyes turned white thought we were going to have a super sayain moment there lmao
Jan 23, 2014 1:16 PM

Jun 2009
Not a bad arc, definitely a bit better than the stuff before it. I am interested in how the show progresses, considering how brilliant Togashi's work with HunterxHunter is, it is interesting to see him slowly come into his own.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 9, 2015 12:15 AM

Aug 2013
Whoa. Kuwabara's home looks identical to that of Nobita's from "Doraemon".
I guess the artists for this show were influenced by their childhood anime to choose to colour the house that way.

Now that this arc is finally done and over with, I can't say I'm excited for the next arc either.
With this show's lacklustre story, it has been rather tedious for me to watch it thus far.

It's a shame how this show started so strong for the first four episodes but is now so uninspiring.
Mar 18, 2015 11:01 PM

Aug 2013
Honestly, this arc was incredibly bland and didn't do anything for me. I started watching this show cause everyone says the Tournament and Chapter Black arcs are some of the best arcs in any anime ever and surpass anything in Naruto/Bleach etc.
I was actually really enjoying the show up to the Genkai arc, but this arc completely killed it. Bland, uninteresting villains. Horribly slow paced fights with dumb gimmicks, and questionable animation. The only reason I'm still gonna watch this is cause of how cool Kurama and Hiei seem to be, and because everyone says it gets so phenomenally great later. Hopefully it improves
Oct 30, 2015 3:45 AM

Dec 2012
Very cliche.
Aug 20, 2016 1:24 AM

Jan 2016
I can't handle all these cliches bruh
Dec 21, 2016 3:52 PM

Apr 2014
Was hoping for a more emotional get-together with Keiko and Yuusuke at the end there, that just fell so flat.

But alas, I am too engrossed in this show. Onto the next arc, we go!
Jan 23, 2017 7:10 AM

Sep 2015
Knew they were joking lol because Keiko and Botan were obivosuly okay. YusukeXKeiko!
Mar 22, 2017 2:55 AM

Dec 2013
This was an ok arc. Kuwabara was a bro!
Apr 2, 2017 3:15 PM

Jan 2013
It was an okay arc. Felt slow here and there but overall it was decent at best. Needed more Hiei tbh
Jun 19, 2017 5:58 AM

Jul 2015
"Koenma, I don't think you should be like that, Yusuke gave his life to kill him!"
"Oh-oh yeah of course how sad"

This guy.

Kuwabara willing to sacrifice himself to save Yusuke followed by trolling him to think that something happened to Botan and Keiko, what a bro.

I will be honest and admit that I didn't like this arc as much as all the previous ones, the pacing felt a bit off, the conclusion was nice tho, let's see what await us!
Jul 18, 2017 12:26 PM

Jan 2013
Ended mostly without any long lasting consequences. Sadly there wasn't any romantic development.
Jul 30, 2017 6:46 AM

Jul 2017
I liked this arc, and the end was fine. It was definitely kinda cliche. I wish Yusuke had given Keiko a more truthful response - it would have been some nice character development.
Sep 28, 2018 1:59 PM

Nov 2016
Best arc so far, mainly because it was full with shounen tropes. You can always get me with the one on one against villains xD

And it was the first time we saw the 4 acting as a group. Can't wait for more of that.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 7, 2018 7:44 AM

Jun 2015
Mr_Shnb said:
I can't handle all these cliches bruh
Don't forget this is an early 90s shounen
Jan 12, 2019 1:09 PM
Jun 2017
I found myself enjoying this arc! ^-^
Hiei and Kurama teaming up with Yusuke and Kuwabara was awesome + Botan and Keiko's friendship! <3
I am loving Kuwabara's character more and more! He is a real bro for saving Yusuke at the end!
The ending was kind of disappointing since I was hoping for more of a heartfelt reunion between Yusuke and Keiko!
The arcs get better as the series progresses and I'm excited to watch the rest of it!
May 25, 2019 10:06 AM
Apr 2016
Ah, what a boring arc that was, was half asleep the entire way because of boredom. Well, Yuusuke FINALLY beat the boring cliche generic foe, goddamn finally. Kuwabara pranking Yuusuke at the end was hilarious though hahahaha.
Mar 24, 2020 9:19 AM

Nov 2012
Pretty much my sentiment rn, honestly thinking of putting this on hold now but I know if I do I won't continue it for months. Dark tournament is pretty much going to be the make or broke point on whether I drop this or not.
May 19, 2020 11:10 AM

Nov 2017
They were choppin' down endless vegetable heads forever and then just suddenly get there once Urameshi has had like a spiritual awakening and stuff. So convenient. Reverse deux ex machina.

Like I don't get it, couldn't Hiei have jumped over their heads? The only one who really would've had to fight them was Kuwabara.

Oh well, it was lame to watch Yusuke in pain for like six episodes. Hopefully in the next arc it isn't just 'torture Yusuke' day again.

And of course at the last minute he pulls out life-energy. At least he learned to sacrifice himself for his friends. That's so Asian: sacrifice yourself, nail, so that the other nails may go on.

Boton is so cheesy. Also Keiko was dying for a minute.
Dec 1, 2020 8:45 AM

Dec 2007
the end of the battle was less exciting as the rest of it.

the last scene with keiko saved this episode though, i like yusuke and keiko relationship.
Jul 18, 2021 11:07 PM

Aug 2018
Hahaha Kuwabara tricked Yusuke when he woke up xDDD

Aug 2, 2021 2:56 PM
May 2020
a hard fought battle with an close call of an ending. yusuke in in a good place with regards to his companions
Nov 22, 2021 9:43 PM
Apr 2021
The previous episode was kinda lame and boring but this one was just off the charts
Cant wait to start Dark Tournament arc
Potato's Rock<3
Feb 15, 2022 4:43 PM

Jul 2021
I was happy that Yusuke managed to defeat the main enemy alone, I wouldn't like it if he only defeated it with the help of the other 3.
It was pretty cliché, I hope the other arcs are better.
asdasdsadad
Apr 11, 2022 1:52 PM

Mar 2022
This was a really good episode, the more I see Kuwabara onscreen, the more awesome he is. He's willing to save Yusuke's life with his energy and then just flat out trolls him at the end. I've said this and I will say this again, they may argue with each other but there are moments where they do care for each other. For someone that's just come back to the show, I have to say that I've found season 1 of the show pretty good. Maybe a bit sluggish here and there but still pretty good nonetheless.

I can't wait what the next season holds for me once I get to the Dark Tournament saga. All I need to do is get past the episode I was previously on and then I'll be in new territory and be able to do something that my teenage self couldn't do, experience the rest of the show.
May 8, 2022 6:47 PM

Jul 2008
I remember really getting into the show when I was 15/16 during the Saint Beast arc. Loved the dark Gothic horror aesthetic, whether it's the zombies chasing Keiko or Boten, or the foreboding castle surrounded by monsters, as well as the creative fights, always ending with Yuusuke going through hellacious pain and beatings, left utterly dead to rights, but finding a crazy way to win.

Watching it now 20 years later, it's a solid arc with some neat improvements and variations on the standard shounen battle formula, although still a little too conventional to be anything special. Obviously, some of the animation has aged very poorly, and reusing cells for the cultivated humans fight was eye-rollingly lazy, but the music works great and the big battle moments where a protagonist finally delivers damage to his enemy are still cool, with Yuusuke's final attack being especially memorable.
Sep 7, 2022 8:45 PM

Apr 2016
Wasn't Hiei super fast? He sure took his time at that stair before it went down; clone-guy getting angry that the very same girl he put in danger was making Yusuke stronger was way too funny maybe not give the guy who wants to defeat you an even bigger reason to do it.

The last two scenes were the best thing from this episode.
Jun 4, 2023 10:45 PM
Dec 2022
is nice
character limit
Mar 20, 2:35 AM

Jun 2017
What I love about this chapter is the fact that Suzaku's plan backfired on him! It was Keiko in danger that pushed Yusuke to fight up to his limit.

It's funny how Keiko acts like she's Yusuke's girlfriend even though they're not officially together.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 35 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 25, 2009

26 by KoniginElle »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 101 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Jun 3, 2010

24 by Xeehad »»
Yesterday, 5:21 AM

Poll: » Yuu Yuu Hakusho Episode 100 Discussion

Kaizoku-Ou - Jan 27, 2009

45 by Xeehad »»
Yesterday, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 98 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - May 31, 2010

28 by Xeehad »»
Yesterday, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 96 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - May 31, 2010

17 by Xeehad »»
Yesterday, 12:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.