Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2009 10:00 AM

Sep 2008
is there a sub out for this
Oct 12, 2009 10:01 AM

Aug 2009
ova said:
and I don't think they should translate the name of the attack and add the translation note at the first appearance.
Are you saying leave the attacks in Japanese?

Uh...why? Is it because it reads cooler or something? I mean, they would mean the same thing.
Oct 12, 2009 10:12 AM

May 2009
Urgh. For some reason this didn't go down particularly well. Hirano Aya annoys me simply because she plays Haruhi, and for some reason Rie Kugimiya is annoying as well, even though i like her acting in other shows.

It looks like it could be a pretty decent show though.

I didn't particularly like the colours or background, but the music was pretty good.
Oct 12, 2009 10:13 AM

Jun 2007
Fai said:
MetatronM said:
Well, that looked terrible and was terrible. Bottom of the barrel art and animation, uninteresting characters (Lucy being like a hyper and mentally challenged version of Nami didn't help either), and poor direction put this nice and squarely in the dropped pile. Which, I have to say, I don't often do after just one episode for a shounen series of this type. Although I suppose I did for Rave Master...

So yeah, pretty bad.

Says the person with OP avatar and OP in his anime favs. Well, I guess it was inevitable - OPtards rushing to bash this awesomeness, I mean.

Bwuh? It has nothing to do with One Piece. It's a poorly drawn, poorly animated, nickel-and-dime looking build-a-shounen with no apparent unique or original ideas. I actually wanted to stop watching within 4 or 5 minutes just because of the shoestring budget animation alone, and really the only thing in this episode that had any apparent One Piece analog of any kind at all was Lucy, like I mentioned. Especially since the art in the anime looks nothing like what little I've seen of the manga's art (which genuinely does resemble One Piece, whereas the anime does not). Really there wasn't anything else about it that made me say "oh, it's just like One Piece!"

I thought it was crap because it was crap, not because it's "not One Piece."

And for the record, I went in intending to make this the third series I was going to be following out of the Fall season, alongside Inuyasha (lord only knows why, honestly) and Darker than BLACK. Buuuut it looks like I'm only going to be moving forward with two.
MetatronMOct 12, 2009 10:22 AM
Oct 12, 2009 10:13 AM

Dec 2008
I loved it! I brought back fond memories of the first chapter. Am I the only person who actually likes the voices? I think they all just feel natural. I just really wanna hear/see Gray and Erza in action :(. My only problem is that I don't know if this is going to be a 26 episode adaption, or a full out animation of the manga.

P.S. I thought the opening fits the beginning of the series perfectly! Its a fun and light song.
MarLonLonMilkOct 12, 2009 10:19 AM
Oct 12, 2009 10:15 AM

Aug 2009
Was pretty fun. I think I'm probably going to enjoy Fairy Tail.
Oct 12, 2009 10:18 AM

Jul 2007
CannedJam said:
I loved it! I brought back fond memories of the first chapter. Am I the only person who actually likes the voices? I think they all just feel natural. I just really wanna hear/see Gray and Erza in action :(. My only problem is that I don't know if this is going to be a 26 episode adaption, or a full out animation of the manga.

They included Sieg in the op so this has to be at least 52 ep series. ;)
Oct 12, 2009 10:20 AM

Feb 2008
Anime started good I guess. Eveyrone probably think that the animation is "childish" and blah blah. Proud that Fairy Tail even animated! Can't wait for the next episode. Wonder how long the anime goes..
Oct 12, 2009 10:22 AM

Dec 2008
Fai said:
They included Sieg in the op so this has to be at least 52 ep series. ;)

Oh, you're right. How did I miss that? I should go a re-read FT so I can remember the earlier stuff XD.
Oct 12, 2009 10:24 AM

Jun 2007
CannedJam said:
I loved it! I brought back fond memories of the first chapter. Am I the only person who actually likes the voices? I think they all just feel natural.

For what it's worth I thought the seiyuus all did a good job, though Aya did her best to try and wear out her welcome. Simon in shounen protagonist mode is kinda great, though.
Oct 12, 2009 10:24 AM

Dec 2007
Wow, nice adaptation. Kagura Happy is so funny XD
Reality...
is what we make it to be.

Oct 12, 2009 10:29 AM

Dec 2008
Lambo said:
Wow, nice adaptation. Kagura Happy is so funny XD

She can only change her voice so much.
Oct 12, 2009 10:29 AM

Mar 2009
hmmm
animation: lacks details and fluent animationand i dont like how they animated lucy and erza.....for an anime airing in 2009 the animation, quite frankly, sucks

sound: i didnt like the sound at all
also the characters voices dont fit
natsus voice for example is way too manly for his character and he ruins his funny moments with his deep voice
lucy was just annoying

prob gonna watch the second ep to see what they did with the other characters and then drop it
for those who like the manga - stick to the manga
there are better anime to waste your time on

edit: i have to admit the op was good
ed sucked like 80% of anime endings do
Oct 12, 2009 10:30 AM

Jul 2009
This was good Looks very promising
Oct 12, 2009 10:31 AM
Oct 2007
Fai said:
The-Freedom said:

No. Just no.

For one - the characters are NOTHING alike. Luffy is more like Easy-going fool who sometimes might to something great, while Natsu is hotheaded-badass fool. The only two voice actors I would have wished for him were R.Paku(Edward Elric in FMA:B) or T.Kirihara(Simon in TTGL). ANd my wish was answered.

For second: I DONOT want him to sound like Luffy. There will be enough of "omg it rippad ma fav one piece" rants in the next episode thread even without that.

as i said everyones opinions are different lol and my genuine view of natsu's character is of a simple minded idiot who is hotheaded,likes to pick fights and loves his comrades,i also disagree with your NOTHING alike claim because they do have some slight similarities and what i meant was i personally felt tanaka mayumis voice acting would suit natsu, not a voice the exact same but the tone of voice used by tanaka is somewhat how i would have liked natsu's voice to be, t kirihara's voice as natsu is like nails on a chalkboard to me, although i think Jun Fukuyama would have been a good voice actor for natsu because of the excellent balance he can make between his voice acting when he is acting in a serious situation and a comical one
shugochara1r1c1.png
shugochara1r2c1.pngmetal-blaze.pngshugochara1r2c3.png
shugochara1r3c1.png
Oct 12, 2009 10:36 AM

Aug 2009
I think the episode overall was enjoyable but for some reason i cannot get over natsu's voice O.o.... It just what i thought it would be like, i think its too deep for his character >.<
Oct 12, 2009 10:40 AM

Sep 2007
This was just as I expected (that's meant positively). Except for the Opening and Ending, I hate both... oh well, if this runs like other series of this type, We'll get a new ED for winter season and a new OP in spring anyway, so I don't care much. ^^

Lucy's voice already convinced me in the trailer but I had to hear Natsu in context to be able to judge it better. It's unexpected but still good. But hey, sooner or later we'll all be used to them anyway and couldn't possibly imagine them to sound any different, so why make a bug fuss about it now?
Happy's voice is perfect. After I heard her voice as Gabri in One Piece: Unlimited Cruise, I'm kinda used to her voicing a flying animal-thing. On the downside: I'll not be able to watch the next season of Shakugan no Shana properly. Her voice is now fixed on small animals in my head. >.<
Sep 2008
i like Aquarius she's awesome cant wait 2 see more of celestial spirit magic
the art work was good
the next ep looks funny

Jun 2008
Great birthday present!!!
Oct 12, 2009 10:43 AM

Nov 2008
This looks really promising. Never thought it would be this good~
I'm so glad I started this one. Sure reminds me of One Piece, but that's only a good thing :P The best anime so far.
Tosi yst&auml;vyys ei j&auml;&auml;dy pakkasella! Thank you for your visit. Welcome again!
Oct 12, 2009 10:51 AM

Jan 2009
pretty much a good adaptation from the manga, i hope this don't end like rave's anime.

didn't like the animation, it's looked too amateurish, even tough A-1 Pictures did very well with Valkyria.

Good seiyuu lineup also, i pretty shocked to have Kugimiya Rie as happy tough. Oh well, hope the animation is goin' better
Oct 12, 2009 10:59 AM

Dec 2008
I think Natsu's voice is fine. Everybody was just hoping for some Luffy rip-off, but I'm glad its not. This is Fairy Tail not One Piece.

God..if everybody is this bitchy with original voice actors...I'm gonna hate seeing how you guys act if Fairy Tail gets dubbed.(Btw, I hope it gets dubbed.)
Oct 12, 2009 11:01 AM

Dec 2008
Well, first of all the voices were a little off from what i had imagined.the animation was good at some times but the overall one was mediocre.if i compare it to the manga which is fucking amazing and simply one of my favorites i would say that it follows the story great although that thing with "Wizards" hurt my eyes.. i will still watch the whole think until the end and i will record it's progress hoping it will become better and better!
Oct 12, 2009 11:06 AM
Oct 2009
Just great.. 5/5

Was waiting for something like this
Oct 12, 2009 11:08 AM

Dec 2008
Oh my god! If you've read the manga and watch enough anime, anybody will agree the animation they did for Fairy Tail is utter crap! So many scenes were under animated, poor choice of colour and many characters looks like they were drawn by some amature. T_T How could my fav manga be so badly adapted *sob*
Oct 12, 2009 11:14 AM

Dec 2008
Oh wow....you give people gold, they want platinum...you give people life, they want death...you give people a good anime adaption that just started, they want the impossible. Its impossible to please everybody guys. What you like, somebody else may not and vice versa.
Oct 12, 2009 11:16 AM
Oct 2008
Hydrazoid said:
Oh my god! If you've read the manga and watch enough anime, anybody will agree the animation they did for Fairy Tail is utter crap! So many scenes were under animated, poor choice of colour and many characters looks like they were drawn by some amature.

Yeah, excepting Bantorra's horrifying CG, I can't think of anything with cheaper animation than Fairy Tale this season. There's just no life at all too it, along with very little movement.

Oh wow....you give people gold, they want platinum.

I was hoping for bronze and got tin.
Oct 12, 2009 11:16 AM

Nov 2007
Personally I enjoyed the first episode. It was funny. The voices, I believe fit the characters thus far. I love the opening song. The graphics are good, especially the fight scenes. Going to keep watching this for sure. :3
O_O
Oct 12, 2009 11:21 AM

Sep 2007
Natsu wasn't exactly what I had imagined but still seemed pretty decent... but what the fuck did they do to Happy? Lucy was decent too. At least it seems faithful to the manga so far.
Oct 12, 2009 11:24 AM

Apr 2009
Gosh, the anime is way too childish in comparison with manga :(
and the animation, was expecting to smth good, though its not that big deal..

fuck, they ruined ERZA :(

WTF, she's like a child in the anime o_O
Oct 12, 2009 11:24 AM

Mar 2009
CannedJam said:
good anime adaption
want the impossible

i laughed
its not impossible in this day and age to produce something with well done and not rushed animation
there are many animes which aired before fairy tail and had a really good animation
(have you seen 5 Centimeters per Second1080p?)
Oct 12, 2009 11:26 AM

Apr 2008
man, aya hirano as Lucy DOES NOT WORK

Oct 12, 2009 11:34 AM

Jul 2008
lolz.. kk
so it begins..
wonder how the 2nd episode would work out lol..
Oct 12, 2009 11:36 AM

Apr 2007
I'd continue watching this just for the music alone. I love the Irish/Celtic sound of it. And the more rockish mixes remind me of Eluveitie. Of course if this so horrible or goes over 26 episodes, then I'll just wait for the soundtrack.

Overall, first episode was all right. As others have said, animation looked pretty bland, and I usually don't give a crap about animation. I like the magic circles because I think they make everything look cooler. But I can see it getting very annoying if it's done for every casted spell a character does.
z-pakOct 12, 2009 11:46 AM
Oct 12, 2009 11:47 AM

May 2009
I like how people are hating on this already, after only watching the first episode ¬_¬
Oct 12, 2009 11:47 AM

May 2008
Bad character designs and animation, voices don't fit the characters, cheesy music; not worth continuing for an already dubiously worthwhile genre.
Oct 12, 2009 11:48 AM

Jun 2008
haven't read the manga so im not going to compare the two, anyways i enjoyed the episode and will continue to watch this series.
Oct 12, 2009 11:52 AM
Oct 2008
DeathHormone said:
I like how people are hating on this already, after only watching the first episode ¬_¬

When there's about twenty new series every season and four seasons every year, if I don't have my attention caught by the end of the first episode then there's really no point in sticking with it to see if gets better later on.

Especially when several other shows HAVE caught my attention already this season.
Oct 12, 2009 11:54 AM

Apr 2009
Looks quite promising! I really enjoyed first ep.

Looking forward to the next episode..

wow lots of people say that it sucks after only 1 episode.
Oct 12, 2009 11:58 AM

May 2009
In my opinion it delivered!
Good opening song and video and nice voices of the characters.
But the similarity of the art styles of One Piece and Fairy Tail dont seem that strong in the anime as in the manga oO
Oct 12, 2009 12:04 PM

Jan 2009
Cool stuff, I have high expectations of this one, partly because a friend of mine's been hyping me about it since he heard about it becomming an anime xD
And so far, this has the looks of a promising show : >
Natsu's awesome : D

And it's o so awesome to read all the sound effects xD
"は一"
"え!?"
: >
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Oct 12, 2009 12:10 PM

Apr 2008
Ehh, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Don't like the OP or the ED. The animation was good, but I hated the voices. I could deal with Natsu's voice, but as for Lucy and Happy...not what I pictured at all and it doesn't help that I hate Lucy's seiyu. It was very childish for sure. Idk man..I just don't know.
Oct 12, 2009 12:16 PM

Apr 2007
This was a little better than I expected. The only things that really bother me are Happy's voice, the animation at times, and that some of the characters look too childish. Otherwise I enjoyed it. Now to wait for my lovely Juvia to appear <3
Oct 12, 2009 12:24 PM

Sep 2007
Judging from the animation quality though, I assume they're spreading their budget out so they can expand the series... into a neverending shounen!?
Oct 12, 2009 12:26 PM

Apr 2009
I enjoyed the first episode, Natsu was pretty sick.
Let see how other episodes will turn out.
Oct 12, 2009 12:40 PM

Sep 2009
Wasabi said:
Judging from the animation quality though, I assume they're spreading their budget out so they can expand the series... into a neverending shounen!?

I Assume so.
And lol at the people who are reviewing it after seeing one episode. I mean, what is the point of that?
out-ofthe-woods.tumblr.com

(✿◠‿◠)
Oct 12, 2009 12:42 PM

Sep 2008
smokes said:
Gosh, the anime is way too childish in comparison with manga :(
and the animation, was expecting to smth good, though its not that big deal..

fuck, they ruined ERZA :(

WTF, she's like a child in the anime o_O

No, they ruined Gerard.
or

Oct 12, 2009 12:44 PM

Aug 2009
^^I really don't see the difference personally. I thought they did fine with her design.
Oct 12, 2009 12:45 PM

Jul 2007
Wasabi said:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that first few episodes do not require anything overly awesomely animated. They are most likely saving up the budget for first major arcs, considering the fact that there's a lot of upcoming stuff that is REALLY costly to animate.

Oh and yes, I wholeheartedly wish that this would be neverending. They can insert fillers for all I care because its so easy, considering the whole guild structure.
Oct 12, 2009 12:49 PM

Apr 2009
If only they got rid of the weird CG circles!! !!
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Knave - Jun 21, 2010

83 by gannoncannon55 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

garfield15 - Jun 7, 2010

114 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 92 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kradical - Aug 12, 2011

92 by shiroyasha367 »»
Yesterday, 8:22 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 169 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2013

103 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 167 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2013

186 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 10:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.