Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Will this be the next No Game No Life?
Jul 5, 2014 11:03 AM

Jan 2013
So with all the hype surrounding this show I'm wondering how popular this show can really get.

Do you guys think this will be as successful and popular as No Game No Life of last season? Maybe it could be even more successful.

Hard to imagine this show being in the top 20 but who knows?

What are your thoughts on this? Also please make sure to vote in the poll.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 5, 2014 11:05 AM

Jul 2012
Wasn't NGNL the next SAO?

I'm confused
Jul 5, 2014 11:08 AM

Mar 2013
It says Sword art online 'II' No need to compare. It'll be good if it isn't rushed. Novel was awesome.
Rak is a Badass

Jul 2012
BasedGodzilla said:
No, it will be the next Sword Art Online.

Ah I get it

SAO will be the next SAO

Jan 2013
Sonic0 said:
I know I've watched less anime than you, but it sounds like you became an anime fan yesterday....

I've actually seen a lot more than my list would imply.
Jul 5, 2014 11:11 AM
Aug 2011
This was the original NGNL.
Jul 5, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
parfaited said:
This was the original NGNL.

This doesn't even make sense.
Jul 5, 2014 11:18 AM

Mar 2013
Ima say no because CGI leaves.
Jul 5, 2014 11:18 AM
Sep 2012
.hack > LH = NGNL > SAO
Jul 5, 2014 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
fst said:

lol this is so clever

Not even being sarcastic. This is amazing ironic deconstruction of my past statements.
Jul 5, 2014 11:22 AM

Apr 2014
It's "WAY" to early to tell. From what I am gathering from the the comments on the episode (majority) this episode was great and they are screaming for episode 2. On the other hand almost every person not saying that is rating it as a horrible first episode and that it was the most boring 24 minutes of their life. Only time will tell how this show will play out.
IZEROII said:
If you legitimately enjoyed this as a series then I honestly believe you need to reevaluate your definition of entertainment because watching tin foil blow in the wind probably is a way you kill time.

SolviteSekai said:
Lol wish fulfillment. It's always been my wish to be a greasy lolicon with a mullet who plays Civ all day every day.

He got me.
Jul 5, 2014 11:22 AM
Oct 2012
I'm pretty sure you can't really say that this will be the next NGNL. NGNL was virtually unknown before the anime came into play. SAO is already well known, not to mention it got its first anime 2 years ago. Now if you want to talk about how far it may get in the rankings, I'm not completely sure atm, but I would guess that it would at least rank higher than its predecessor given that a large majority people watching it are probably fans of the show and will probably give it good ratings. I've also heard that the second season's material is better than the first so this might help it too. It just all depends on how well the anime goes, but hitting top 20 doesn't seem impossible.
Jul 5, 2014 11:24 AM

Jun 2009
Judging from episode 1...

I highly doubt it.

I'll go as far as saying it's impossible.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2014 11:25 AM

Oct 2011
Its gonna chuck something worse than a Guilty Crown judging by the first episode.
Jul 5, 2014 11:27 AM
Feb 2014
No. I think maybe because of the hype SAO has, some people might get disappointed, depending how great the show will be. NGNL had the advantage of lower hype compared to SAO because it was something new and not a lot of people heard of it yet. And because of the low expectations, NGNL blew people away.
5 Centimeters Per Second - Or what I'd like to call as 5 Anime Wallpapers Per Second.
Jul 5, 2014 11:32 AM

Jun 2009
shadedclan said:
No. I think maybe because of the hype SAO has, some people might get disappointed, depending how great the show will be. NGNL had the advantage of lower hype compared to SAO because it was something new and not a lot of people heard of it yet. And because of the low expectations, NGNL blew people away.

Take this into account

SAO got a better chance to score with disappointed fans from last year, as we're expecting a lot less and set our bars very low.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2014 11:34 AM

Jan 2014
i like how people categorize and criticize every popular anime...i wish "popular" was a genre so everyone would stop talking like that with every new anime :I.....
BasedGodzilla said:
SolviteSekai said:

This doesn't even make sense.

Sure it does. It just means NGNL was the "next" SAO. I don't exactly agree with the comparison, personally, but it was certainly a bigger hit than I expected.
this

and your avatar,i frickin love that fish :O...so much memories basedgodzilla
LoneWizzyJul 5, 2014 11:54 AM
Jul 5, 2014 11:40 AM

Dec 2013
Lol, SAO is mediocre and hated, NGNL is awesome and loved, the only comparison possible between them is the popularity, which NGNL will grow even higher
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jul 5, 2014 11:43 AM
Oct 2012
LonelyWizard said:
i like how people categorize and criticize every popular anime...i wish popular was a genre so everyone would stop talking like that with every new anime

That is an absolutely brilliant idea. Though I think in honor of the "critics" who will swarm there to spew their petty jealous, we should call the genre "Hyped".
Jul 5, 2014 11:43 AM

Mar 2013
Both are bad.
Jul 5, 2014 11:46 AM

Dec 2013
I don't think so.
For people like me who haven't read the novel, NGNL came as a surprise(or disappointment. Depends on the point of view). Hence the high rating.
I sure didn't expect what happened in NGNL to be as entertaining or riveting as it was for me.

But, this SAO II is a sequel.
Most of us who have watched the first one already know what to expect.
So, there will be fans who will be squealing for joy.
And then, there are the haters who just love to criticize the heck out of it.

So, no.
I don't believe this will be the next NGNL.
But, I will be interested in the intense future debates that will come. ;)
WhiteVyeJul 5, 2014 11:50 AM
Jul 5, 2014 11:48 AM
Sep 2012
Forgetfulness said:
FlareStar101 said:
Lol, SAO is mediocre and hated, NGNL is awesome and loved, the only comparison possible between them is the popularity, which NGNL will grow even higher
NGNL wasn't even that great though :|
It was just alright...

I enjoyed watching NGNL more than SAO. It had great characters, nice humor, amazing references to manga and video games like JoJo and Phoenix Wright, etc. NGNL had more work put into 12 episodes than what SAO could've done in 24 episodes imo.
Jul 5, 2014 11:49 AM

Dec 2013
Forgetfulness said:
FlareStar101 said:
NGNL wasn't even that great though :|
It was just alright...
I'm basing my statement from my own personal exeperience,the Mal rankings and the users thoughts. Overall the rankings and the overall forum user's opinion suggests that NGNL is a great, amuzing experience,but since i'm trying to don't care about those 2, i loved this and i think it's far superior to SAO, so that's my answear, i hope my point is clear with this post. Ex: the user above me post
PriestSlayerJul 5, 2014 11:58 AM
FragOutFire said:

Jul 5, 2014 12:04 PM

Apr 2010
It will have a tough battle. Being a sequel it comes with plenty of lovers and haters from the start. Unlike when SAO1, SnK, NGNL first aired the haters didn't come until after it was already hyped to high heaven.
Jul 5, 2014 12:54 PM

Apr 2014
No this will probably be the next Mahouka
Jul 5, 2014 1:06 PM

Dec 2013
Forgetfulness said:
FlareStar101 said:
I'm basing my statement from my own personal exeperience,the Mal rankings and the users thoughts. Overall the rankings and the overall forum user's opinion suggests that NGNL is a great, amuzing experience,but since i'm trying to don't care about those 2, i loved this and i think it's far superior to SAO, so that's my answear, i hope my point is clear with this post. Ex: the user above me post
Then perhaps you should do the same for SAO: http://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online/stats

#272 is definitely above average on MAL and I've seen both fanboys and critics for both shows
Maybe because of the different airing times, but SAO has far more critics in here than NGNL, and again, i'm posting based in my own interpretation on both shows. But if there was a vs. poll, NGNL would definitively get more luv. What are we talking 'bout again? I'm lost here lol
PriestSlayerJul 5, 2014 1:10 PM
FragOutFire said:

Jul 5, 2014 1:06 PM
Oct 2012
It's already at 339, and it'll keep going up up up
Jul 5, 2014 1:23 PM

Jun 2013
As in shitty overhyped garbage? Most probably :^)
Jul 5, 2014 1:30 PM

Mar 2009
This thread doesn't make any sense.

Sword Art Online came before No Game No Life. And was insanely popular long before the NGNL anime.
Jul 5, 2014 1:37 PM
Jan 2014
SolviteSekai said:
So with all the hype surrounding this show I'm wondering how popular this show can really get.

Do you guys think this will be as successful and popular as No Game No Life of last season? Maybe it could be even more successful.

Hard to imagine this show being in the top 20 but who knows?

What are your thoughts on this? Also please make sure to vote in the poll.
No matter how great it is, it cant end up in the top20. Too many people are giving 1/10 hate ratings for that to happen. The SAO fanboys cant compensate for that. In terms of populatity, it will be similar to NGNL.
Jul 5, 2014 2:38 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
SAO has a heavily negative image on the forums whereas NGNL does not... so yeah no

FlareStar101 said:
Forgetfulness said:
Then perhaps you should do the same for SAO: http://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online/stats

#272 is definitely above average on MAL and I've seen both fanboys and critics for both shows
Maybe because of the different airing times, but SAO has far more critics in here than NGNL, and again, i'm posting based in my own interpretation on both shows. But if there was a vs. poll, NGNL would definitively get more luv. What are we talking 'bout again? I'm lost here lol
SAO has *waaaaayyyyy* more viewers, so obviously it also has more fans. Though I guess its haters would vote against it just for the hell of it as well.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
VudisJul 7, 2014 9:23 AM
Jul 5, 2014 2:51 PM

Apr 2013
SAO and NGNL are both very popular and overrated in my opinion. But I don't know how this sequel will turn out to be. I know I liked this arc in the LN so I'm sure I'll like it more.

Besides, if NGNL doesn't get a sequel (which is rather not probable) I'm sure most people will forget about it.
Jul 5, 2014 3:35 PM

Nov 2013
SolviteSekai said:
It's already way more successful than NGNL.
Jul 5, 2014 3:36 PM

Mar 2013
fst said:

lol this is so clever

Not even being sarcastic. This is amazing ironic deconstruction of my past statements.

Them leaves did look like shit though.

Linkmstr said:
.hack > LH = NGNL > SAO

You know that when you use the greater than/less than signs, the arrow points towards the lesser quantity, right?
fstJul 5, 2014 4:11 PM
Jul 5, 2014 3:47 PM

Nov 2013
fst said:
Linkmstr said:
LH >> NGNL >>> SAO >>>>> .hack

You know that when you use the greater than/less than signs, the arrow points towards the lesser quantity, right?
No worries, I fixed it for him ;)
Jul 5, 2014 3:49 PM

Dec 2012
Because NGNL invented success and popularity and should be the standard to which everything else is held from now on.
Jul 5, 2014 4:23 PM

Dec 2008
Linkmstr said:
.hack > LH = NGNL > SAO

Except .hack is a ripe off of SAO but I don't expect people to know this.

So your order is:

SAO > LH = NGNL > SAO
Jul 5, 2014 4:36 PM

Mar 2013
namedrisk said:
Linkmstr said:
.hack > LH = NGNL > SAO

So your order is:

SAO > LH = NGNL > SAO

LOL you do know hack far older than SAO don't you, so if anything is a rip off it's sword art.
NewhopesJul 5, 2014 4:44 PM

Jul 5, 2014 4:42 PM

Apr 2013
No, but it will be the next Sword art online
Jul 5, 2014 4:45 PM
Feb 2014
Newhopes said:
namedrisk said:

So your order is:

SAO > LH = NGNL > SAO

LOL you do know hack far older than SAO don't so if anything is a rip off it's sword art.

.hack: 2002 the anime
SAO: 2002 start of the web novel

And also both are a rip off of Tron, just to say that.

And well I'm not quite sure what meaning that argument even has.

Originality is already lost since decades, safe for some really really rare occurrences.
Jul 5, 2014 4:55 PM

Jan 2014
You can only compare it to the first season of sao.
Jul 6, 2014 4:48 AM
Nov 2011
No, and that is a good thing.

Jul 6, 2014 4:51 AM
Jul 2018
sao already is. both overated allthough I liked both NGL and SAO.
Jul 6, 2014 7:34 AM

Jul 2013
Hmm. Hard to imagine.
I believe it will depends on how will A1 exceed on action sequences.
SAO may not have the crazy twists of NGNL, but if the animation and sound score are top-notch it's possible.

Let's be honest, you can have the greatest script ever, but if don't deliver the visuals, there's little chance of your work reaching massive popularity.
Jul 6, 2014 7:48 AM
Feb 2014
If you're referring to overwhelming hype, I don't know. Yes? No?

Either way, I doubt it. SAO 1 was more hate than hype anyways.

Besides, they're pretty much different in genres, please don't tell me all virtual reality game anime= The same. Inductive fallacies are really annoying to see while comparing shows.
Jul 6, 2014 7:52 AM

Feb 2013
Not that I care that much, but SAO has ongoing popularity by its side. Same happened before with the first season. It gets popular and climbs up to the top of MAL and then plummets down the drain again after a few months, unlike the steady residents of the top we have at the moment.

Whether it's going to be popular or not is a no question. It is indeed going to be popular due to the sheer number of fans it has. Can't really say for how long though. I guess it's going to be the same as the first season. Popularity will drop steadily by the end of the series.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 6, 2014 8:28 AM

May 2012
Linkmstr said:
.hack > LH = NGNL > SAO

I didn't watch .hack, but Log Horison is so boring. All what I saw in Log Horison is ugly characters having long and boring dialog about economics and politics and other boring subject. Where is the fun in that ?!

Please don't compare a boring shit like this to something like NGNL and SAO. Even the OP song in SAO II is better than all log horison episodes combined. I didn't watch SAO II yet though.
Jul 6, 2014 9:11 AM

Jan 2013
sherlock5545 said:
thepath said:

I didn't watch .hack, but Log Horison is so boring. All what I saw in Log Horison is ugly characters having long and boring dialog about economics and politics and other boring subject. Where is the fun in that ?!

Please don't compare a boring shit like this to something like NGNL and SAO. Even the OP song in SAO II is better than all log horison episodes combined. I didn't watch SAO II yet though.

Simply, wow.

I don't see a problem with what he said.

Most of the political and sociological dialogues in Log Horizon are really dumb and far fetched, so I'd personally rather watch SAO.

Theres something to be said about how SAO is aware that it is an action shounen show, and Log Horizon isnt.

Log Horizon is for most intents and purposes Fairy Tail but with a serious tone and pseudo intellectual social commentary.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 27, 2014

611 by Bruh69XD »»
May 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

546 by amf85 »»
Apr 30, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2014

432 by amf85 »»
Apr 29, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

286 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 6, 2014

418 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 3:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.