Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2014 12:25 AM
Jul 2013
it was entertaining and amusing...

but if you're expecting something that's deep and that's supposed to teach you about life then nope... it didn't need to be deep anyways bcuz the point of the show is to entertain us with overpowered main characters (which i enjoy bcuz there are too many weak protagonists) and parodies of other games
Jun 30, 2014 1:03 AM
Nov 2013
Because plebs. What more?
Jun 30, 2014 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
So overrated!Nowhere near being the best anime ever.Shouldn't even be #17.Disgraceful.It's higher rated than most actual GREAT anime out theere.
Yeah the opening was great. I also liked the fanservice and the episode where shiro lost sora [if I remember correctly] but still this show didn't have the same effect for me as my favorite anime series.It's not the worst I have seen but it's massively overrated.

also the main character:I didn't really like him.How was he even a hikikomori? The show is getting away with a lot.
removed-userJun 30, 2014 2:22 AM
Jun 30, 2014 3:02 AM

Jul 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
Because Jibril

Enough said...
Facts are for the unimaginative.
Jun 30, 2014 3:13 AM

Sep 2010
It's a pretty good Anime Yes... but almost a 9? Never.. over 21k People voted 10 for this which i really don't understand at all
Jun 30, 2014 3:28 AM

Mar 2008
It's mindless entertainment for me similar to SAO and Shingeki. And well all know that stuff usually gets popular (keyword: wish fulfillment..)
I think madhouse helped a ton with its colorful/fantasy-like animation as well.
Jun 30, 2014 3:37 AM
Mar 2014
Why is NGNL so popular?
Well, most people like it because its entertaining.
Its important to understand that popularity =/= quality.
Just because the majority of people likes it, doesn't mean that you have to like it too.
I can only speak for myself and i must admit that this series hits a spot which made me addicted.
Its not even the fan service, which i kind of find annoying at times, but more like the genius lvl of the MCs and the plot itself.
Jun 30, 2014 4:22 AM

Apr 2014
jfturku said:
So overrated!Nowhere near being the best anime ever.Shouldn't even be #17.Disgraceful.It's higher rated than most actual GREAT anime out theere.
Yeah the opening was great. I also liked the fanservice and the episode where shiro lost sora [if I remember correctly] but still this show didn't have the same effect for me as my favorite anime series.It's not the worst I have seen but it's massively overrated.

also the main character:I didn't really like him.How was he even a hikikomori? The show is getting away with a lot.

He is not even a hikkomori... They are NEETs not hikkomoris. So u can't judge the show by that, when they have told u, that they are NEETs. I understand that Sora for some people can be dislikeable.

Jun 30, 2014 4:36 AM

Feb 2012
So, is their going to be a thread like this every week now. Its popular because people like it, the high score because a lot people enjoy it. Plus, Mal scores mean nothing if it is overated. If this show sells like hotcakes, and was not that enjoyable (like Naruto, and Bleach), then it is overrated.

This shows just hits the right parts to make it enjoyable.
Jun 30, 2014 5:12 AM

May 2009
Here is why:
BECAUSE SHOW DELIVERED
Other shows didn't:
Black Bullet - shit adaptation due to time constrains and lame studio
Mahouka - boring, unispired and vapid
Mekakucity - terrible animation, adaptation
(Sidonia - was good but CGI dispirited a lot of potential watchers)
Jun 30, 2014 5:22 AM

Oct 2013
It's a 10 in the entertainment department if you turn your brain off and don't expect anything deep (story wise or character wise). It provides nothing original or special for it to be so highly thought of,it doesn't deserve to be in top100 but that's only my opinion cause I expected intelligent games and story and got disappointed (so yea I might be biased).
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jun 30, 2014 6:42 AM

Apr 2010
BigSimo said:
Because it has all the factors that draw in masses of anime fans:
- "smart" protagonist, who is also unbeatable and "badass" and overly confident and "cool" and over-the-top. Oh, and don't forget that he's a NEET hikikomori, so otaku can relate to him and be 'inspired' by him
- relentless twists and turns
- boobs/fanservice
- reminiscent of MMORPGs (which, as luck would have it, is the latest trend) games
- loud sound effects

that said, it is a well-directed show (except for the sentimental parts), and it is very light viewing, easy to watch.

Outside of Blank's introduction in the first episode, I fail to see the relation to MMORPGs.

Zeally said:
deanzel said:
It's about time. To bring in the... HYPE TRAIN!! CHUUUUUU CHUUUUUU

the hype train is dead mang

8.87--> 8.86

RIP

OT: Fun things are fun.
antonnJun 30, 2014 7:46 AM
Jun 30, 2014 6:56 AM
Dec 2011
soundscape said:
It's a 10 in the entertainment department if you turn your brain off and don't expect anything deep (story wise or character wise). It provides nothing original or special for it to be so highly thought of,it doesn't deserve to be in top100 but that's only my opinion cause I expected intelligent games and story and got disappointed (so yea I might be biased).

I for one cannot understand the need of "turn your brain of to enjoy the show". Sure NGNL isnt that deep, but it isnt that shallow either. In fact, you need to think a bit to understand some of the things that was happening in the show. So yeah, I don't get why you need to "turn your brain off" to enjoy this show
Jun 30, 2014 6:59 AM
Jul 2018
Anime doesn't have to be deep to be enjoyable for me but this anime wasn't enjoyable enough to get a 9-10 rating.
Jun 30, 2014 7:25 AM
Dec 2011
jfturku said:
Anime doesn't have to be deep to be enjoyable for me but this anime wasn't enjoyable enough to get a 9-10 rating.

*Shrugs* maybe, but then again I am somehow baffled by people who gave NGNL a rating of 1, when the only other shows that particular person gave 1 is Deadman Wonderland and Boku no Pico. Sure NGNL may not be a masterpiece, but to give it a score of 1 to counter those who gave it 10 is beyond my understanding
Jun 30, 2014 8:37 AM
Jun 2012
People like it because it was well executed, the anime is just pure fun to watch. There are a few weak points in the voice acting. But the kinds of characters and their interactions were amazingly well executed. Does anyone not love the interactions between Sora and Stephanie? I'd say the voice actor behind stephanie dola deserves an award for her performance.

Can anyone tell me that they didn't enjoy the shiritori game between Sora and Jibril? If you didn't enjoy that episode, then let me just say you don't really understand that No game, no lifes popularity is all about how well everything was executed. It's an anime made to be just pure fun and nonsense, if you don't understand that - that the creators are aware of anime tropes and anime viewer stereotypes and they just take them and make them over the top.

We have plenty of serious anime like Monster and more laid back thoughtful stuff like Mushishi.

No game, no life is an 'over the top' anime, if that's not apparent to you, you don't have the brainpower to review this anime.
super88Jun 30, 2014 8:46 AM
Jun 30, 2014 8:54 AM
Jun 2012
jfturku said:

There are different ways to rate different anime, you shouldn't take MAL ranking as anything other than a recomendation.

No game, no life is made for the audience that enjoys pure fun over the top anime. Which no game, no life is. It isn't a serious anime. People rate anime on the kind of pleasure and emotions they received from it.

The problem is some people want 'serious' anime and others are more flexible. A good thing to do would be to go over your own tastes and figure out what are the main qualities of the kinds of anime you watch, what would you consider in your top 10 list?
Jun 30, 2014 8:55 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Because it was the most entertaining anime I've seen in fucking forever, at least episode 6 and onwards
Jun 30, 2014 9:07 AM

Jan 2009
the hype died, it went from rank 16 -> 17 a few days ago

Jun 30, 2014 9:13 AM

Feb 2014
cuz it was entertaining
Flying without feathers is not easy; my wings have no feathers
Jun 30, 2014 9:53 AM

Dec 2013
Because people loved it? Because it's intense? Because it has vivid colors? Because it is Comedy Gold? Because it has Great Fanservice? Because it's plot is awesome? Because the characters are Epic? Because MadHouse animated it? Because The VAs are awesome? Because the char designs gets ur attention? Because its full of references i don't understand but still laught at it? Because of Sora? Because of Shiro? BEcause it is a Masterpiece? Because elitist fags hate on it just because it's rated so high them i go in the forums and make fun of them? (I'm not reffering to u OP by the way) . Anyways, It's an Awesome,Fun,Delicious and unexpected surprise this season, and the rating speaks for itself.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jun 30, 2014 9:54 AM

Feb 2014
Because it was one of the better shows this season that wasn't a shit adaptation.
Jun 30, 2014 10:12 AM
Mar 2014
bastek66 said:
Here is why:
BECAUSE SHOW DELIVERED
Other shows didn't:
Black Bullet - shit adaptation due to time constrains and lame studio
Mahouka - boring, unispired and vapid
Mekakucity - terrible animation, adaptation
(Sidonia - was good but CGI dispirited a lot of potential watchers)

Pretty much this. Except for Ping Pong, which was brilliant.

Forgetfulness said:
OBVIOUSLY, ACCORDING TO MY CALCULATIONS, JIBRIL WILL WRITE SOMETHING THAT ENDS WITH A 'C', SO I CONVENIENTLY WROTE "Coulomb's Forces" LONG BEFORE WE GOT INTO DEEP SHIT BECAUSE WE'RE JUST SOOOOOO SMART!!!11one

That's not even a valid complaint. I'm not saying NGNL is a deep and serious, because it isn't. But in this case it was clearly shown how Sora baited Jibril by calling her an 'empty-headed academic' in hopes she'd use that term against him in anger.
Jun 30, 2014 10:24 AM

May 2014
dirtyuncle said:
in hopes she'd use that term against him in anger.
And if she didn't? Surely by predicting so far ahead, they must've thought about that scenario as well.

It is still the writer excusing their wins, but my god does it have to be done in the same exact way every single time. For once show us your plan step by step instead of dumping it on the viewer at the last possible moment.

Game theory, strategies, theoretic scenarios, psychological analysis, cold reading(those are certainly NEET traits indeed), you have all the time explain that stuff instead of making up a conclusion before the actual conclusion.

It's a one trick pony illusion, the more times its used, the less convincing it becomes.
Jun 30, 2014 10:37 AM

Apr 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Because there'll always be more plebs than elite.
lmfao coming from a pleb
Jun 30, 2014 10:40 AM

Aug 2012
I donno. I dropped this anime so fast lmao
Jun 30, 2014 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
mirailianil said:

*Shrugs* maybe, but then again I am somehow baffled by people who gave NGNL a rating of 1, when the only other shows that particular person gave 1 is Deadman Wonderland and Boku no Pico. Sure NGNL may not be a masterpiece, but to give it a score of 1 to counter those who gave it 10 is beyond my understanding

Well I don't think NGL is worth 1/10 I only gave it to make this show have a lower ranking.I will now change it to 7 or 8 because that's how good I think it was.

So yeah I don't think this show sucked or anything,I just think it's overrated.Same thing goes with deadman wonderland.Deadman wonderland was good for the first couple of episodes and the rating for it would probably be around 5-6/10
Jun 30, 2014 11:26 AM
Jun 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Well, to me some of the other games (such as the last) felt a lot like what I just described and it certainly becomes less impressive when they continue to use this "Oh my god we're so smart we calculated everything from the start" when a lot of these "predictions" are random things and not like, actual numbers

You have to understand the purpose behind the anime, there is *zero logic* in this anime and most entertainment if you're going to pick it apart even "well thought out" explanations have huge gigantic plot holes in them if you analyze further, you just pick a different place to stop than other people. The whole point is the ideas that they are super smart are just used to have 'cool things and interactions happen'. The writer/directors set up the scenes in NGNL to be fun and entertaining to watch (convey emotions), they were not going for any kind of consistency. That should have been obvious due to all fourth wall breaking with using the stereotypes of the anime watchers as a main character and then having the main character drop all sorts of references - aka a perverted shut in with social issues with little experience with girls gets his wish fulfilled by being sent to a fantasy world.

i.e. this anime is purposely nonsensical and over the top, that's why during the chess match sora could tell the queen she was beautiful and have all that stuff happen. NGNL is pure adolescent wish fulfilment and it's obvious from how its directed that's how you should understand it.
Jun 30, 2014 11:51 AM

Apr 2013
I'm trying to stop caring too much about ratings but NGNL's score is stupidly high.
I gave it an 8/10 because I really liked it but this anime has so many things people keep complaining about in forums. I'm almost flabbergasted by this score.
I'm talking about things like :
- Onsen/Bath scenes (and 4 of them in 12 ep!)
- Harem vibes
- Incest vibes
- Lots of Ecchi and other kind of fanservice
- Overpowered and overconfident MC's
- Deus Ex Machina ways of winning (this can be a bit subjective but that what it felt like to me)
- probably more...

Mask it with a nice execution, good OST, talented seiyuus and original art and voilà! People forget about their complaints. At least that's what it feels like to me and it's like there's a lot of hypocrites.
I won't go as far as saying that NGNL isn't a unique anime because it sure is one and I like fanservice. But it's like SAO's fanbase all over again, rating it 10/10 because "it's entertaining and funny.. LOL". N-not that they can't do that but it still bugs me :(

I liked the score it had at the begining better. It was 8.45 I guess...

David2skills said:
jfturku said:

He is not even a hikkomori... They are NEETs not hikkomoris. So u can't judge the show by that, when they have told u, that they are NEETs. I understand that Sora for some people can be dislikeable.

Well, it clearly written in the 1st episode that Sora has a "Communication Disorder" and that Shiro is a "Hikkikomori".
Jun 30, 2014 11:54 AM

Apr 2013
super88 said:
There are different ways to rate different anime, you shouldn't take MAL ranking as anything other than a recomendation.

Words of wisdom.
I'm trying to reach this state of mind and stop caring.
Jun 30, 2014 12:10 PM

May 2014
YumeNoMonogatari said:
Well, it clearly written in the 1st episode that Sora has a "Communication Disorder"
Well there goes our amazing Lelouch-like mind game master deceiver.

But you are clearly on the right track mate.
Jun 30, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2012
Because its awesome :) thats a subjective opinion btw.

Rank 17?? Lets aim for number 1 and kick FMA to 2nd place.
Jun 30, 2014 12:27 PM
Jun 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Well, with ^ in mind and all the people on MAL screaming "10/10", "5/5" and "Masterpiece", I expected NGNL to actually be written with enough effort for things to make sense and not just be mindless entertainment. But as you said, perhaps my expectations were wrong

People's ratings reflect their own personal feelings and enjoyment. The reasons why someone gave a certain score will be different from person to person. Not all '10's mean the same thing to the same person. Hence the problem with MAL rankings. Say someone wrote an anime about physics and to get the jokes you had to know high level physics, that anime wouldn't be able to be understood unless you were sufficiently educated. Many kinds of animes are similar in the same way in that certain groups of people share certain likes/dislikes that other groups won't understand.

I could easily pick apart the premise of the anime. It is actually fundamentally flawed like most entertainment.

The idea that you could challenge an all knowing being is a contradiction in terms. i.e. if we define god to mean omnipotent, then that would mean TET can't be 'the one true god'. He's some quasi demi-god like figure because the idea of beating gods and becoming god is a contradiction in terms (aka by definition a traditional god is unbeatable because he/she/it has control over all possible states of all possible universes). It is a being that is not in anyway part of the universe in the sense that it is bound by its laws and how the logic of understanding works within that particular universe. AKA theoretically a real god would not in anyway make sense to us, because we forget that our understanding works according to rules that govern our particular universe.
Jun 30, 2014 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
I think MAL should keep the rating system as it is atm but make it more detailed ?
Jun 30, 2014 1:29 PM

Nov 2012
Why ask the obvious? Because of Shiro of course. There's only 1 right and justice in this world, that is Kawaii-ness!
Jun 30, 2014 2:24 PM

Apr 2014
jfturku said:
I think MAL should keep the rating system as it is atm but make it more detailed ?

What do you have in mind? I think it's working fine as of now, as long as you realize that the rating only shows how much people like the show and nothing else.

ON-Topic, kind of: I really didn't like the first 3 eps of this show, I found the comedy to be really annoying, same goes for Sora. Is there something to enjoy for me later on, or if I don't like the first 3 eps, will I dislike the rest of it too?
No validation, no applause
You don't have prove you got it when you know it's yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSKDIcpdSE
Jun 30, 2014 2:33 PM

May 2014
FateYuno said:
ON-Topic, kind of: I really didn't like the first 3 eps of this show, I found the comedy to be really annoying, same goes for Sora. Is there something to enjoy for me later on, or if I don't like the first 3 eps, will I dislike the rest of it too?
Wow, that's the best part for me really. Drop it, you don't have to suffer through this sleazy garbage.
Jun 30, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2013
It's okay OP
It's already dropped from 8.87 to 8.85

Jun 30, 2014 2:39 PM

May 2014
kami_desu said:
It's okay OP
It's already dropped from 8.87 to 8.85
Still above Mushishi Zoku, damn.
Jun 30, 2014 2:47 PM

Dec 2013
modsoulz said:
Why ask the obvious? Because of Shiro of course. There's only 1 right and justice in this world, that is Kawaii-ness!
I support this
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jun 30, 2014 3:02 PM

Aug 2011
People like what people like, and it just so happens that a lot of people like NGNL.
Jun 30, 2014 3:51 PM

Feb 2014
This thread

Jun 30, 2014 3:55 PM

Apr 2013
Because a lot of people like this anime, and if you don't agree with it then just stay quiet
Jun 30, 2014 4:02 PM

Jan 2011
I don't envy anyone with an obsession for how popular or what the cumulative score is for something on MAL.
Jun 30, 2014 4:03 PM

May 2014
@Venustas
Yes, it's you guys' fault for having fun and then calling it "OHMUHGUDS!ART!"

@ccdewa
You disagree with me, so you should shut up. /solid logic

@SacredFactor
It's not the score or just the rankings, but what they imply.
Jun 30, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2014
T3hSource said:
FateYuno said:
Wow, that's the best part for me really. Drop it, you don't have to suffer through this sleazy garbage.

Allright, thanks. Well, I've technically dropped it, but I came here asking because I REALLY feel like I'm missing something about NGNL
No validation, no applause
You don't have prove you got it when you know it's yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSKDIcpdSE
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.