Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people watch anime, Also why do you watch anime.

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 27, 2014 8:43 AM

Feb 2008
To talk about it. To write about it. I don't much enjoy the act of watching it these days.
Jun 27, 2014 2:26 PM

Oct 2013
"Why do I watch anime?"
"Why do I play games?"
"Why do I watch TV in general?"
"Why do I play sports?"
All questions got the same answer.
I do it because I find it entertaining
Jun 27, 2014 2:39 PM

Jun 2013
Because it's Fun. Entertaining too. And also because it gives me ideas for possible Fanfictions or Creepypastas. Also because I enjoy the hell out of it.
Jun 28, 2014 6:03 PM

Aug 2009
I like animation in general and with anime I get more diverse genres.
Jun 28, 2014 7:48 PM

Apr 2014
I watch anime because I find enjoyment in it. I like the various art styles, genres, and themes that a lot of anime covers.

"Haunted by darkness... Cursed by light... I am Jyakotu."
Jun 28, 2014 8:08 PM

Nov 2013
Because TV is shit and I have nothing better to do.
Because moe.

I can see you

Jun 28, 2014 11:00 PM

Dec 2013
It's a great way too kill time and when I don't feel like playing video games or exercising, I watch anime.
Jun 28, 2014 11:14 PM

Apr 2010
fun
Jun 28, 2014 11:19 PM
Apr 2014
I don't know why other people watch anime, and quite frankly I don't care.

Why do I watch anime? I like to think of it like this: Western animation has the edge in variety when it comes down to art direction and animation, anime has the edge in variety when it comes down to plot and characters. A lot of good shows in the West are live-action, and while I do enjoy more than my own fair share of live-action programming (such as Criminal Minds, Arrow, and Doctor Who), I'm more fond of animation because the medium is capable doing so much more than live-action can ever hope to accomplish. However, Western animation is generally limited to children's programming (Spongebob, Adventure Time, Regular Show, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) and animated sitcoms (i.e. South Park, Family Guy, The Simpsons).

Anime has a lot more variety when it comes down to the actual stories being told because the medium is actually taken seriously in Japan. There's pretty much an anime for just about anyone and that's not an exaggeration in the slightest. This of course comes at the cost of near-homogeneousness when it comes down to the overall animation and art direction. Big eyes, lanky proportioning, ridiculously sized tits and asses on girls who shouldn't even be able to walk if they had similar proportioning in real life, you get the picture. You can't go into an anime without expecting at least ONE of these.

But why I would I bother watching such programmes in the first place? Meh. Sometimes escapism, sometimes entertainment.
defunctmaluserJun 29, 2014 7:39 AM
-
Jun 28, 2014 11:39 PM

Aug 2012
dont know why other people want to watch anime, and im not interested to know.
yeah! the real life scenarios that i never experienced. its nice to see it even if im not there. just to be able to visualize what if i were one of them. what im gonna do in his or her place. is it the right choice?. the entertainment, art and the story make me spend my time watching anime.

also escaping reality is always a good choice.
Lyndon_OngJun 28, 2014 11:43 PM
Jun 29, 2014 9:21 AM

Oct 2013
Because it's entertaining.
Jun 29, 2014 9:58 AM

Jun 2014
For the characters. It's easier for me to become emotionally invested in a drawn character than it is for me to become emotionally invested in an actor on tv. That tv actor has a real life and might not be anything like that character on the show, while the drawn characters is just that character. I find myself wondering if this person will fulfill their dream of creating a new world, or becoming a demon, or whatever. And these characters are usually well developed. More developed than other cartoons.

The storylines are also usually interesting and I enjoy watching stories that continue and have you wondering what's going to happen next.

Also, the violence...... of course.
Jun 29, 2014 9:59 AM

Jul 2013
I watch Chinese cartoons because I don't have a life. People also watch cartoons because they don't have a life.
Jun 29, 2014 4:45 PM
Jun 2014
There are two kind of people who are here right now. The people who take this question seriously and the people who couldn't care less about the question just the laughs they create from their humor of the answer they provide. I for one think this is an interesting question. I personally love to watch anime because I feel it is an artwork in motion. I medium between reality and animation. It is very interesting to see what kind of stories can be created from characters that were born from someones imagination. To see their ideas effect peoples emotions and give them ideas on how they want to approach life. Now maybe I am over thinking it but anything that can make someone cry, feel angry, or bring hope to them should be commended no matter what it is. Sorry for my book on why I watch anime haha.
GoldenAnimeManJun 29, 2014 5:03 PM
Jun 30, 2014 10:00 AM

Mar 2012
Because I enjoy it
物事は良くなりますか ? 
Jun 30, 2014 10:44 AM

Jan 2014
Reality escape and good stories/plots are the main reasons I watch anime.
I don't just watch it 'cause I'm bored, I'm entertained with or without anime
Jun 30, 2014 12:05 PM

Jun 2014
I completely stopped watching American TV about 3 years ago. Months after that, I got into anime and found it a lot more entertaining and easier to watch. I like watching stuff that has a full series plot, not an episode-by-episode show where it doesnt matter what order you watch because there is no central plot.

The problem with American TV is, most of the shows that DO have a continuous full series plot, lost ratings, drowned, and didnt survive for a second season, leaving the few loyal viewers with a huge incompleteness. The Event, Flashforward, Persons Unknown were all great primetime shows, but got cut after one or two seasons.

However, American TV is getting better, more and more shows with a continuous plot are being made and survive multiple seasons. Subscription channels such as HBO and Showtime are good at this. I watched all 8 seasons of Dexter last winter and I was extremely impressed. I sorta plan on watching Breaking Bad when I have the time and ability.

America is best at making movies, but anime is like nothing else. The Japanese are great at playing with viewers emotions; making a show that is engrossing, something that viewers can really get into; making intricate plots and interesting characters; and making the show look perfect visually to fit the setting, whether elegant or dark.
Jul 1, 2014 9:36 PM
Jun 2014
I just really enjoy anime. I find it to be an escape of sorts (not in a bad way though). I can get really immersed in anime, especially when a good storyline is involved. Honestly, I haven't watched commercial television in years. I just find anime to be so much more interesting. That's probably the main reason why I watch anime.
Jul 1, 2014 9:41 PM

Jun 2013
Because I find it more interesting than western TV except Game of Thrones
Jul 1, 2014 9:42 PM

May 2014
Because animation is under appreciated and I think it deserves more serious attention because it can do things live action can't.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jul 1, 2014 11:15 PM

May 2014
I can't speak for everyone, because, since there are so many different kinds of anime, people can watch it for many different reasons. I definitely agree that it's an escape from reality, but that's like most entertainment whether it be reading, film, or anime.

For me personally, I find anime to be extremely inspiring. Like you said, it possesses something that things in America don't really have. This sort of essence, which I also find is held in a lot of Japanese culture. I find that to be a push of imagination - and the fact that in anime the writer has total control over the characters, plot, setting, and everything else in a way that other media doesn't take full advantage of, gives it so much possibility. That imagination based magic really makes the watcher feel it through the screen, and I find it makes me feel more creative.
Jul 1, 2014 11:41 PM

Nov 2013
Really? obviously 'cause it's entertaining.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jul 2, 2014 2:18 AM

Jun 2014
I watch anime because I'm a fat, introverted otaku who cannot face reality, just like Hideaki Anno criticises me for being.

But seriously, if the question is 'Why do I watch anime instead of another medium?', then the reason is because anime has some stories that are either original and can't be found in, or are told better than other forms.

If the question is just 'Why do I watch anime?', its because I want to take a break and experience some fantasy show or whatever.
Jul 2, 2014 12:12 PM

Mar 2012
I watch incest, then i gonna do with my step sister, she is only 16 years old, i'm 20.
So i taught her how to do adult things.

In conclusion, i watch cause of WINCEST.
Jul 2, 2014 2:09 PM

May 2014
I watch anime because it helps to escape reality. The real world for me is disgusting place, a crappy game which I want to end. Living is painful and lonely for me. While I watch anime I feel a little better. It helps me to forget everything and numb pain for a while.....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2014 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
i watch anime to have an experience i won't be able to find any where else
Jul 2, 2014 2:14 PM

Aug 2009
Gave up on reality.
[right]

Jul 3, 2014 1:50 PM

Dec 2013
porkypink said:
Gave up on reality.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jul 26, 2014 7:36 AM

Nov 2011
dunno either. is it just because its more freaking awesome than reality dramas
[center]
Jul 26, 2014 7:52 AM

Oct 2011
Because it is a medium of entertainment that I am willing to spend my time on.
Jul 26, 2014 9:26 AM

Jul 2014
Best form of visual entertainment
Jul 26, 2014 9:27 AM

Apr 2014
GreatSif said:
Best form of visual entertainment

^ this :D

Jul 26, 2014 9:28 AM

Mar 2014
i like animation *3*
Jul 26, 2014 9:30 AM

Jul 2013
It is life
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2014 9:40 AM

Jun 2010
Because it's shit.
Sep 10, 2014 4:22 PM

Dec 2013
Escapism
Sep 10, 2014 4:33 PM

Aug 2013
1. My life is boring
2. I love experiencing a good story more than almost any other form of entertainment.
Sep 10, 2014 4:33 PM

Aug 2013
I don't watch anime as much as i used to when I went to school. But now I watch an anime because I hear the writing is good. I also watch anime when I need inspiration for something, avoiding the Slice of Life genre unless I know that it has something interesting to offer.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Sep 10, 2014 4:35 PM

Feb 2014
Because were else am I gonna find 15 year olds with F cups.
Sep 10, 2014 4:40 PM

Aug 2014
For entertainment. And maybe learning something.
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Sep 10, 2014 5:09 PM

May 2014
Animation is an under appreciated medium but I think it's really cool to be able to put whatever you want on screen without that pesky thing called reality infringing on your artistic vision. Not that I'd consider most anime good art, but Sturgeon's Law always applies.

So basically I find it cool, and it gives me an excuse to act like an elitist when discussing films because I 'appreciate' something that plebs don't .
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Sep 11, 2014 4:39 AM

Oct 2012
its a large chunk of my elaborate quest to battle reality
Sep 11, 2014 4:43 AM

Apr 2014
Anime is fun to watch, and It gives me inspiration for drawing and other things so yeah. Anime is just cool/awesome/fun/emotional/sad/happy/gore/ecchi all in one which makes it my favorite form of entertainment.
Sep 11, 2014 4:45 AM

Jun 2014
Because I find my life boring even though I have everything to be happy, which I kinda am, although apparently regardless of how old I get, I still wish certain things were real, I think everyone has a younger us inside.
Sep 11, 2014 4:47 AM

Jan 2013
Cause it has unique stories and it's fun to watch usually. Also TV shows suck, most of time.

Anime/Manga's variety makes it worth watching/reading.
Sep 11, 2014 4:48 AM

Dec 2013
Because it's entertaining, obviously.
Sep 11, 2014 4:54 AM

Mar 2012
Everyone watches anime because it's fun/entertaining I think, people do it as a hobby.
I also see anime/manga as good life references, you can take some stuff seriously, other stuff you just can't, but their stories are interesting and fascinating, that's why people watch anime.

Is there anyone who watches it forced? I force myself to watch some anime but that's just exceptional cases, and cuz I'm stupid.
Sep 11, 2014 5:54 AM

Aug 2014
Becuse american show sucks at origanality with fantasy and so on. And you can do alot more groundbreaking with anime becuse you don´t need to think about actors. Like corpse party i want to se a real life show showing how to kill smal children and display it like they do in corpse party. Not going to happend so you can watch more stuff. Have you ever watched a incest show from US?
Sep 11, 2014 12:16 PM

Sep 2014
Sweanime said:
Becuse american show sucks at origanality with fantasy and so on. And you can do alot more groundbreaking with anime becuse you don´t need to think about actors. Like corpse party i want to se a real life show showing how to kill smal children and display it like they do in corpse party. Not going to happend so you can watch more stuff. Have you ever watched a incest show from US?

I absolutely agree with you!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown

rohan121 - 32 minutes ago

6 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» If there a Cute Guys doing cute thing would you watch it?

RedTea33 - 28 minutes ago

6 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
9 minutes ago

» favorite anime under 50 episodes?

RedTea33 - 35 minutes ago

4 by Toooooooooohru »»
10 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - 10 hours ago

29 by deg »»
16 minutes ago

» Best pink haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 22

67 by Jackson1333 »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.