Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 2, 2014 5:07 PM

Dec 2012
The anime fanbase is like really freaking big and spread all over earth. Since anime is animation from Japan, I would only make sense that a big part of the fanbase is from Japan, right?

HOWEVER! When looking through profiles on MAL (which is the biggest anime forum + database there is?), it seems only a small fraction of the users are from Japan.

Is it just me, or isn't this kinda wierd? Crunchyroll, MAL, hummingbird, animenewsnetwork and all the other fanbase-related websites I've come accross is targeting english-speaking users? (except figurine manufactures and such..)

I've always thought that around 50% of the fanbase were japaneese, but now that I think about it, it's probably a lot less than 50%, right?
Jun 2, 2014 5:09 PM

Mar 2014
You do realize these are still English/American Sites and the Average Japanese person wouldn't bother trying to use them right?
Jun 2, 2014 5:10 PM

Nov 2010
Because this isn't a site aimed at Japanese anime fans, it's aimed at American and other English speaking country fans. No doubt there's more in Japan but they probably don't use a listing site. It's like do you use one for local tv shows?
Jun 2, 2014 5:14 PM
Mar 2011
2chan is the biggest anime froum
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 2, 2014 5:15 PM

Sep 2013
Zymf said:

HOWEVER! When looking through profiles on MAL (which is the biggest anime forum + database there is?), it seems only a small fraction of the users are from Japan.

10/10

Anime is more popular in Japan (obviously), but a lot of people still aren't a fan of it. There's many people that dislike it there too. I don't know about specific numbers though.
Jun 2, 2014 5:16 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Because this isn't a site aimed at Japanese anime fans, it's aimed at American and other English speaking country fans. No doubt there's more in Japan but they probably don't use a listing site. It's like do you use one for local tv shows?
Well.. No - But only because there's like 4-5 western tv shows that I like :/

Is therea japanese site similar to MAL?
Jun 2, 2014 5:16 PM

Oct 2012
Try searching anime websites using Japanese kanji.
Jun 2, 2014 5:17 PM

Sep 2013
Same reason that crunchyroll isn't popular in Japan; it's a site aimed towards English speakers
Jun 2, 2014 5:18 PM

Apr 2013
This site is aimed at the English speaking demographic.
an egomaniac and a fool

Jun 2, 2014 5:18 PM
Mar 2011
rrexyl said:
Zymf said:

10/10

Anime is more popular in Japan (obviously), but a lot of people still aren't a fan of it. There's many people that dislike it there too. I don't know about specific numbers though.

the ratings on tv of the top three say the base is still big but the growth of late night anime has hurt anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jun 2, 2014 5:19 PM
Mar 2011
12thKnight said:
Same reason that crunchyroll isn't popular in Japan; it's a site aimed towards English speakers

plus Streaming is not that popular here

Jun 2, 2014 6:35 PM

Nov 2007
It makes sense, because most anime fans in Japan spend their time on 2ch, and other anime news/discussion blogs. I guess many don't feel the need to have to use the listing functionality or the forum boards here.

However, you do occasionally see some posts/threads from MAL on 2ch, which are perhaps from the Japanese MAL users that you've noticed.

Zymf said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Well.. No - But only because there's like 4-5 western tv shows that I like :/

Is therea japanese site similar to MAL?

I should probably ask symbv about this. I'm curious if there is such a listing site in Japanese... because i've never found one.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jun 2, 2014 6:49 PM

Dec 2013
about 15% of AKB48 fans
Jun 2, 2014 7:30 PM
Mar 2011
moonnya said:
about 15% of AKB48 fans

comaping a bliion dollar pop band to a an indusry that make 2 bliion is unfare

yes AKB48 in treams of money making the biggest band in the world in 2011 2012 and 2013 thay were the ony band to make 1 Bliion USD in the world then in 2011 and 2012 there u2 making 500 mlioon and 622 mlioon restactuvly

Jun 2, 2014 7:47 PM

Dec 2013
You actually thought 50% of the anime fan base is Japanese?
jayss said:

^This.
12thKnight said:

and this^
Jun 2, 2014 7:50 PM
Mar 2011
Zer01 said:
You actually thought 50% of the anime fan base is Japanese?
jayss said:

^This.
12thKnight said:

and this^

and the fact that streaming is not a bigg deal here

Jun 2, 2014 7:55 PM

Jan 2009
only few are true japanese otaku according to this old news - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-10-10/1.72-million-otaku-in-japan that maybe why the prices of anime discs (BluRay/DVD) are very expensive because their is just enough buyers for them

and as others have mentioned the most popular anime site on japan is 2Chan
Jun 2, 2014 8:05 PM

Jul 2011
Bigger than in USA
Jun 2, 2014 10:04 PM
Apr 2014
Wait they have Anime in Japan?
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Jun 2, 2014 10:09 PM
Mar 2011
j0x said:
only few are true japanese otaku according to this old news - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-10-10/1.72-million-otaku-in-japan that maybe why the prices of anime discs (BluRay/DVD) are very expensive because their is just enough buyers for them

and as others have mentioned the most popular anime site on japan is 2Chan

2chan is thhe most active anime board in the world post cpont per dayand members

Jun 5, 2014 12:48 PM

Mar 2013
this site is still English so I don't think it will attract the Japanese user here.
Jun 5, 2014 12:51 PM

May 2013
Very big so much so that the cities have anime boards everywhere and manga shops on like every corner its nuts wish i was there!!
Check out this video it shows how life is like there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZbu7J7UL4
Be It 10 or 1000 Men, The End Result Will Be The Same..
Jun 5, 2014 12:53 PM

Jun 2012
Just for refference, Naruto has sold nearly 140 million volumes in japan, it's sold less than 5 million in the US.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Naruto is the best selling Manga in the US, not even top 5 in Japan.
Jun 5, 2014 12:56 PM

Oct 2013
Well, if we were to compare fanbase from anywhere outside Japan and fanbase within Japan, the former would be a much bigger number, I think.
Jun 5, 2014 1:03 PM

Nov 2010
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Just for refference, Naruto has sold nearly 140 million volumes in japan, it's sold less than 5 million in the US.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Naruto is the best selling Manga in the US, not even top 5 in Japan.
How do you know it's sold less than 5 million? That sounds very low.
Jun 5, 2014 1:09 PM
May 2014
Rakaxo said:

Laughed for like 30 minutes here. Yes they have anime in Japan, shocking right?
TyrelJun 6, 2014 1:56 PM
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jun 5, 2014 1:13 PM

Dec 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:

You have any source for that? that's seems highly unlikely. I mean it's has been the top manga in US for years.
Jun 5, 2014 1:20 PM

Jun 2012
tsudecimo said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

You have any source for that? that's seems highly unlikely. I mean it's has been the top manga in US for years.
IntroverTurtle said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
How do you know it's sold less than 5 million? That sounds very low.
It's probably over 6-7 million by now, but Viz used to cite the total sales for the Manga on the back of the volume covers. I don't think they do it with the current reprints and whatnot, but when volume 34 was released, they were at 4.1 million. Last I saw was in volume 45 or so where it was stated to be at 4.8 million.
Jun 5, 2014 1:34 PM

Nov 2010
YorozuyaGinSan said:
It's probably over 6-7 million by now, but Viz used to cite the total sales for the Manga on the back of the volume covers. I don't think they do it with the current reprints and whatnot, but when volume 34 was released, they were at 4.1 million. Last I saw was in volume 45 or so where it was stated to be at 4.8 million.
Ok wow, that is very low. I thought it might be at 25 in America.
Jun 5, 2014 1:38 PM

Oct 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Ok wow, that is very low. I thought it might be at 25 in America.

Attack on titan sold about 660,000 copies. From the last time I check the sales. The sales in the us are not great at all.
Jun 5, 2014 1:38 PM

Dec 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:

What about worldwide outside of Japan? you know numbers of that?

If I'm not mistaken it has high overall sales in France, which the second biggest manga market.
Jun 5, 2014 2:07 PM

Apr 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Damn, that just shows how irrelevant sales outside Japan are, unless the US has a thing against manga and the numbers in the rest of the world are much better.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jun 5, 2014 2:11 PM

Nov 2010
geralt said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Damn, that just shows how irrelevant sales outside Japan are, unless the US has a thing against manga and the numbers in the rest of the world are much better.
Manga sales are supposed to be large in France. It's supposed to be the second largest outside of Japan. But Idk about anything after that.
Jun 5, 2014 3:27 PM
May 2007
I live in Japan and all I can say for sure is that manga is more popular as opposed to anime. I say more than 25% of their printed material is manga and all that.
Jun 5, 2014 8:03 PM
Mar 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
geralt said:

Manga sales are supposed to be large in France. It's supposed to be the second largest outside of Japan. But Idk about anything after that.

hence why a manga ka has the been awarded the the highest commendation in france

Jun 5, 2014 8:06 PM
Jul 2013
about 10 times bigger than murica.
Jun 5, 2014 10:15 PM

Apr 2012
Personally I would say there are more anime fans in China than anywhere else (even in Japan), because China has the most people in the world and a lot of young people are watching anime, but of course this is only a conjecture. (But if we count people who only watch shounen/shoujo/or child anime as anime fans, China definitely has the most fanbase. The uncertainty only occurs when there is a stricter definition for "anime fans".)

So yeah, Japanese anime fans probably take up less than 50% of all anime fan base.

PS: Please don't use sales data to argue against this conjecture. That doesn't work because you know I know and we all know that Chinese like everything pirated.
bunny1ov3rJun 5, 2014 10:19 PM
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jun 5, 2014 10:18 PM

Jun 2009
Pain_is_love said:
Personally I would say there are more anime fans in China than anywhere else (even in Japan), because China has the most people in the world and a lot of young people are watching anime, but of course this is only a conjecture. (But if we count people who only watch shounen/shoujo/or child anime as anime fans, China definitely has the most fanbase. The uncertainty only occurs when there is a stricter definition for "anime fans".)

So yeah, Japanese anime fans probably take up less than 50% of all anime fan base.

Taiwan and Philippines have considerable fanbase too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2014 10:20 PM

Apr 2012
AirStyles said:
Pain_is_love said:

Taiwan and Philippines have considerable fanbase too.
I counted Taiwan as part of "Chinese speaking areas", without taking a side in the political argument of course.

but yeah, philippines have a large fanbase. I didn't deny that.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jun 5, 2014 11:31 PM

Nov 2013
If MAL created a Japanese site it would attract a lot more Japanese viewers.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 6, 2014 2:05 AM

Aug 2013
jayss said:

You mean Japanese, period, right? Because you can search websites with Hiragana or Katakana, it doesn't necessarily have to be in Kanji. And by saying Kanji, you're implying that it's Japanese (since Kanji specifically refers to the usage of Chinese characters in the Japanese language).
Jun 6, 2014 2:36 AM

Jan 2013
My gut feeling is Japan comprises a significant percentage of anime fans worldwide, maybe (15 to 30%). My definition of anime fan excludes shows targeted and aired on children channels like Pokemon and Beyblade.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Jun 6, 2014 2:57 AM
Mar 2011
BlackShock_ said:
My gut feeling is Japan comprises a significant percentage of anime fans worldwide, maybe (15 to 30%). My definition of anime fan excludes shows targeted and aired on children channels like Pokemon and Beyblade.

there anime that get 15.00 viewer ship

Jun 6, 2014 3:59 AM
Aug 2013
anime in japan get quite some attention

ie through internet and stuff
Jun 6, 2014 4:27 AM
Nov 2010
kikohunter said:
Rakaxo said:

Someone didn't get it, huh? I'm afeared that you won't comprehend my statement, as well.
TyrelJun 6, 2014 1:57 PM
Jun 6, 2014 6:52 AM
May 2009
Japanese Anime fanbase depends on how you rate a fan. I think a majority of Japanese people can fall under casual fan than hardcore.
Jun 6, 2014 6:59 AM

Apr 2014
Praland said:
Bigger than in USA

It may look like it, but I don't think there are a lot of anime fans in America than most people would think. Maybe I'm wrong, but it was just a theory.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Jun 6, 2014 7:00 AM
Aug 2012
TobiOrNotTobi said:
Praland said:
Bigger than in USA

It may look like it, but I don't think there are a lot of anime fans in America than most people would think. Maybe I'm wrong, but it was just a theory.
What are you even saying.
Jun 6, 2014 7:01 AM
Mar 2011
TobiOrNotTobi said:
Praland said:
Bigger than in USA

hmm your wrong

Jun 6, 2014 7:47 AM

Aug 2009
kikohunter said:
Rakaxo said:

Wait, Japan exists?

I always thought Japan was just something we'd tell the lonely losers at school so they don't shoot us.
TyrelJun 6, 2014 1:57 PM

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

37 by Hikinekomori »»
1 minute ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

103 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime tend to get grouped together despite being at least somewhat different from each other, in your opinion? (Think Barbie and Oppenheimer)

arinthach - Apr 11

22 by AverageRiceFan »»
5 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

18 by AverageRiceFan »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

129 by FFandMMfan »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.