Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 27, 2014 5:16 PM

Oct 2009
MrAM said:
Wow.

HunterxHunter seems to have a hard time not being unbelievably great. This episode totally blew me away. The animation, the art, the music…just phenomenal. The CA arc has given us so many incredible episodes, and this is yet another one, cementing its already established status as the greatest action shonen arc ever written (and animated.)

This wasn’t much of a fight, as others have pointed out. Pitou never stood a chance. You could chalk it up to Togashi being up to his usual tricks, doing what nobody expects, but I think there’s more to it than that; the entire confrontation between Pitou and Gon was never meant to be a fight in the conventional sense. It was always about what this meant for Gon, and Pitou as well. Netero vs. Meruem was very much the same, except that it ended up being a bit longer. Having Gon engage in an epic brawl with Pitou would have been pretty great entertainment, but it would have muddied and distorted the significance of this confrontation. Gon’s victory was never supposed to be celebrated, and I love how somber this episode felt. It was terrifying, awe-inspiring, and horrific. Gon’s defeat of his enemy was brutal and filled with carnage, and his actual transformation left him looking like a complete monster, a label that was previously applied to Pitou.

Let’s talk about Gon first. He finally snaps in this episode, and as I understand it, did something similar to Kurapika to gain the large amount of nen he did. He becomes an adult and utterly annihilates Pitou. This marks Gon’s ultimate loss of innocence, after it being built to for so long. Even if he survives this encounter and makes a full recovery, h will never be the same. He can be cheerful, happy Gon all he wants, but in the end he can’t escape his actions. He’s officially joined the ranks of Killua, Kurapika, and in a sense many of the adults he’s met throughout the series; a person who has suffered profound loss and ruthlessly killed others, whether out of vengeance or other reasons.

Now, Gon has already slowly but surely losing his pure hearted goodness throughout the arc since its start, mostly through the harsh and brutal things he witnessed. Kite in many ways was training Gon to become more mature. When Gons saw a Chimera Ant crush a human’s head in episode 82, Kite instructs him not to look away from the violence when Gon attempts to. Throughout Gon’s journey with Kite, the older Hunter told Gon to fight with the intent to kill, and indeed that’s what Gon did, though it isn’t clear if he actually killed ant Ants before this point. Regardless of whether he did, the unrestrained brutality of what he does here is what marks the end of Gon’s childhood.

Gon’s actions are motivated mostly by vengeance, and in his killing of Pitou, he follows Kite’s directions to the letter. Remember what Kite told him back in episode 82, after Gon slices through the body of the Ant he’s fighting?

“You must crush the head.”

Crush the head he did. Aside from Gon’s first kick, all of his attacks were directed at Pitou’s face, until it was completely destroyed. Gon wasn’t satisfied with merely killing Pitou; he kept beating her, over and over, in a scene was disturbing and not victorious. This cold, murderous defeat, one motivated by hatred of both Pitou and Gon himself, is what sets this apart from anything else Gon has done. He gives it his all, sacrificing whatever it took to crush Pitou. Gon has always been willing to go the extra mile to stubbornly achieve what he wants. He almost got himself killed in the Hunter exam, he sacrificed his hand in the fight with the Bomber, etc.

What Togashi did with Gon’s power-up is exceedingly clever, and makes it unlike any I’ve seen in any shonen ever. Aside from transformation being akin to that of a beast instead of a hero, and Gon seeming to be the monster in the “duel” instead of Pitou, it symbolizes Gon’s loss of innocence and transition into adulthood. It’s very literal- Gon commits the act that the series has been building to as an actual adult, a representation of his current mental state. Clever, Togashi, clever.
And…the arm! Again! I looked over all the incidents involving loss of arms again and realized that they all were the left arm, except Kite, who lost his right arm. Pitou here did the same as she did to Kite, even in death; she sliced off Gon’s right arm. This completes the parallel between Gon vs. Pitou, and Netero vs. The King. Also, interestingly , Gon lost his arm as Killua dove to protect him, while Kite lost his arm as he dove to protect Killua and Gon. Also, the humans have always been the ones losing arms, while the Chimera Ants lost their own arms through their own actions and willingness, and in both cases (the King and Pitou) it was as an act of submission, while in the case of the humans (Kite, Netero, Gon) it was in the midst of battle. Interesting…

Now all four combatants have lost their arms at some point. This is important for Pitou especially, because what she does here serves to contrast with her encounter with Kite. At that time, she was acting out of hostile playfulness, toying with a human because she liked it and the thrill of battle. Here, her pure devotion to her king is so powerful that it is quite literally undying, and she slices Gon’s arm out of loyalty, not callous malice. It highlights the difference between her and Gon in this fight, and what each is fighting for. There’s a parallel in Gon and Netero’s final attacks as well. Netero’s Zero hand drained his life force, much as Gon is draining his own to achieve his power. The conclusion of the two fights are similar as well, from what can be inferred from the way this episode ended, though I expect Gon to alive. There’s a clever parallel there as well, assuming I’m correct. In Netero vs. the King, one was severely injured (the King) and one died (Netero). Here, one was also severely injured (Gon) and one died (Pitou). Note that the ones severely injured are the protagonist and antagonist of the arc, and the pure genius of it all that it is not really obvious who is who. Something else: this arc has been about the maturation of a child, in both Gon and the King’s story. The way their stories unfold differ, and in that the difference between them is emphasized. I’m astounded by the continuous parallels that Togashi stablished between Gon and the King without ever having them actually meet each other.

A masterpiece of an episode, this is. Chilling, disturbing, and hauntingly beautiful. Bravo, Togashi and Madhouse. The anime world’s better with you in it.

Also, R.I.P. Pitou, my favorite of the Royal Guards and one of my favorites of the series cast in general.

Nice analysis, I think you didnt notice that when Pitou got beaten up, she ended up at the bottom of a tree, headless. Well I know somebody else who was bodyless at the bottom of a tree (hint: in Pitou's hands).
May 27, 2014 5:22 PM

Feb 2011
OMG, a giant Gon in my own eyes: I couldn't stop laughing what I'm seeing (I never expected that coming, lol). Oh my, Gon is so brutal with Pitou without holding him back, he's not a person you can miss around with. I can't imagine what Killua thinking the moment he saw a giant Gon ( he did knowledge it so quickly after he once saw that coming from Bisky) but I wonder if Gon realize himself how he change: not only about his emotions but his appearance as well.
May 27, 2014 5:24 PM
Jan 2012
I've been waiting for this scene to be animated. Amazing. Gon was releasing so much power out of nowhere. It was practical that he had to exchange something for that power. Now I'm wondering if this limitation/curse can be remove from Gon's body by a special nen exorcist.
May 27, 2014 5:24 PM

May 2011
I really felt so sad for Pitou ...
May 27, 2014 5:35 PM

Apr 2011
So gon used his life force to power up and become as strong as the king.

Yeah... the author already used that plot device in Yu Yu Hakusho.
May 27, 2014 5:38 PM

Mar 2012
I am speechless... I might have to drop this for being too good for me to handle... I'm sorry guys...
May 27, 2014 5:47 PM

Jan 2014
One of the best episodes of HxH. Truly, this is amazing.

Read at your own risk:

F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

May 27, 2014 5:50 PM

Jan 2013
I cried.......this was so intense ;_;

one of the best episodes ever!
peeyaj said:

Read at your own risk:

:l...
"THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE."
210125May 27, 2014 5:59 PM
May 27, 2014 5:55 PM

Dec 2012
So beautifully done! My heart sank in my chest.

May 27, 2014 5:55 PM
Dec 2012
peeyaj said:
One of the best episodes of HxH. Truly, this is amazing.

Read at your own risk:

Lol, didn't even know what you were talking about when you said read at your own risk but then shuryukan confirmed that it was manga spoilers, fml ;-;
May 27, 2014 5:57 PM

Dec 2010
Phenomenal episode, and rather bittersweet, too. Gon may have won, but it's a bit of a pyrrhic victory, now that he can't use his nen. And poor Pitou. I loved her change in character, and how she and Gon practically switched sides on the spectrum.
May 27, 2014 5:58 PM

Jan 2013
beaniesaige said:
So beautifully done! My heart sank in my chest.

I think it's

alexpersona said:
Lol, didn't even know what you were talking about when you said read at your own risk but then shuryukan confirmed that it was manga spoilers, fml ;-;
Oh god, im at fault here too ;_;

Mod Edit: Please don't double post
TyrelMay 27, 2014 6:04 PM
May 27, 2014 6:03 PM

Dec 2011
Hisoka must be so pleased with Gon. dem booty shorts! ♥
May 27, 2014 6:04 PM

May 2012
WTH WTH WTH WTH... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE... Hunter x Hunter 2011 Episode 131 was freaking weird and sad and exciting and the feeeeeeeeels asdfghjkl... BRILLIANT!
May 27, 2014 6:15 PM

Apr 2011
Hunter X Hunter is an absolute masterpiece.
Thats all man, thats all.
May 27, 2014 6:17 PM

Jul 2007
sheidesu said:
WTH WTH WTH WTH... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE... Hunter x Hunter 2011 Episode 131 was freaking weird and sad and exciting and the feeeeeeeeels asdfghjkl... BRILLIANT!

Calm down, your going to have an orgasm lol

May 27, 2014 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
link9us said:
sheidesu said:

Calm down, your going to have an orgasm lol

I think I had one watching this...

loljk
May 27, 2014 6:18 PM

Sep 2012
It sucks that Pitou's life ended so quickly, I mean after all the teasing that this fight would happen, she didn't deserve to be 1 hit killed so quickly :(
May 27, 2014 6:19 PM

Jan 2013
Raidol said:
It sucks that Pitou's life ended so quickly, I mean after all the teasing that this fight would happen, she didn't deserve to be 1 hit killed so quickly :(

Fun fact, rai-kun <3
Pitou is a guy.
May 27, 2014 6:19 PM

Jul 2007
shuryukan said:
I cried.......this was so intense ;_;

one of the best episodes ever!
peeyaj said:

Read at your own risk:

:l...
"THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE."

whoa man, thats a pretty big spoiler.

May 27, 2014 6:21 PM

Aug 2009
I feel sorry for Hisoka
May 27, 2014 6:21 PM

Sep 2012
shuryukan said:
Raidol said:

Fun fact, rai-kun <3
Pitou is a guy.

Gender is no barrier for love
May 27, 2014 6:24 PM

Sep 2013
I wonder why Gon's voice didn't mature since his whole body fully developed to that of a grown man at least.
sic mundus

Mar 2014
Pitou is a guy? Huh? Seriously? Almost as weird as Gon skipping puberty.

Jan 2012
Damn that episode was awesome. Pitou's devotion for the king even after death was actually kind of admirable.
Sucks that Killua saw this, he's probably confused, scared, and in anguish after seeing Gon like this.
It also sucks that Gon lost an arm, so he'll probably have a disadvantage now and he probably is a bit weaker after that last attack.
Though Gon is probably stronger than Netero and pre-nuke Meruem, it looks like post-nuke Meruem still is quite stronger than Gon from the preview.
Hopefully the next episode doesn't end up focusing mostly on the side characters because I want to see Gon fight Mereum already.

11/10
May 27, 2014 6:26 PM

Mar 2014
penguindrum264 said:
Damn that episode was awesome. Pitou's devotion for the king even after death was actually kind of admirable.
Sucks that Killua saw this, he's probably confused, scared, and in anguish after seeing Gon like this.
It also sucks that Gon lost an arm, so he'll probably have a disadvantage now and he probably is a bit weaker after that last attack.
Though Gon is probably stronger than Netero and pre-nuke Meruem, it looks like post-nuke Meruem still is quite stronger than Gon from the preview.
Hopefully the next episode doesn't end up focusing mostly on the side characters because I want to see Gon fight Mereum already.

11/10

Gon just lost an arm and is sacrificing life energy, I don't think he'll fight Meruem.
May 27, 2014 6:26 PM
May 2014
Holy crap that was the BEST episode of the anime yet! The piano version of Hyori Ittai (5th ending) was beautiful and fit the black and white scene perfectly!
May 27, 2014 6:29 PM

Jul 2007
Valaskjalf said:
So gon used his life force to power up and become as strong as the king.

Yeah... the author already used that plot device in Yu Yu Hakusho.

Yeah it has been used in YYH as well.
noonealive said:
i was checking some youtube comments and i found this one to be pretty interesting.

"I remember many many episodes back, Gon specifically inquired about nen restrictions and contracts, so it's not like it just came up out of the blue. Gon, in this case, is using "everything" meaning he must be drawing huge reserves from his own life force. It's also mentioned that the stronger your emotion and resolve, the more powerful you become upon activating the ability. We've seen something similar to this very recently...

Anyone remember how Netero trains himself up to a bulky body he didn't have earlier in the series? "Zero Hand?" That's a nen-contracted technique. He poured all his nen into one attack, subsequently weakening and aging his body tremendously."

i didn't think to much of Netero's bulkiness and it relating to zero hand. MrAM kinda pointed this out as well.

Yep, exactly, this has been heavily foreshadowed in the series since the beginning. Though it takes some one with good perception to figure it out, but netero stating that he was able to age his own body due to nen contracting abilities is exactly what gon did.

I get tired of hearing that this was an ass pull or some power up out of the blue, cause thats not what it is. Everything was explained bout how nen can have serous repercussions and stain on the body.

May 27, 2014 6:29 PM

Oct 2008
That was epic, Pitou couldn't do anything.
May 27, 2014 6:34 PM
Mar 2009
Finally, some action!

Will Gon be like this permanently, though?

At least Hisoka knows somebody else who can re-attach arms... although... Gon paying a Spider memeber to fix his arm is...
May 27, 2014 6:35 PM
Oct 2011
Btw there'll probably be a Hunter x Hunter chapter tomorrow/today.
May 27, 2014 6:36 PM

Jul 2012
pitou got fucked
Cty Best mid
May 27, 2014 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
Candor said:
Btw there'll probably be a Hunter x Hunter chapter tomorrow/today.
yeah, the manga coming back, so excited.
May 27, 2014 6:37 PM

Sep 2012
Every manga readers waited for that moment since the beginning of this anime, and it delivered. Great job Madhouse, it was as brutal and awesome as I imagined. I almost felt sorry for Pitou. This episode also made a great use of all the things we learned about Nen earlier in the series.

Also, Togashi, stop messing around with Gon's arm for fuck's sake!
May 27, 2014 6:38 PM

May 2014
Such an incredible episode! HxH just keeps getting better and better.

- Killua snuffing mini!Pouf: HIS EYES.
- Gon's transformation and the fight. What a brutal fight (sidenote: lol at dat crop top and booty shorts)
May 27, 2014 6:41 PM

Dec 2012
Quite possibly the best episode of anime I've ever seen. Godlike!!
May 27, 2014 6:44 PM

Jan 2013
Core1019 said:
Quite possibly the best episode of anime I've ever seen. Godlike!!
haha ur avatar xD
May 27, 2014 6:46 PM

Jun 2013
Remember when people said that the 1999 version had a better soundtrack? LMAO now.
May 27, 2014 6:52 PM

Jan 2011
I don't feel like watching anything else today..or the rest of the week because i'll only be thinking about this,torn between this and 126 for this arc i can only hope these last few episodes top this or not that's cool.. :P.

as for the episode at first i was like how in gods name did gon grow up?! however judging from these post and giving it some thought it kinda made sense gon pretty much gave up a lot of his life force to mature but at what cost is the real question for me i mean hes lost an arm but man do i really wanna know the effects this has on him in the future.
May 27, 2014 6:56 PM

May 2012
penguindrum264 said:

11/10

Why would Gon fight Mereum anyway? Gon hasn't even expressed the slightest interest in him and is pretty much broken at this point.
May 27, 2014 6:56 PM
May 2012
Humza_96 said:
I wouldn't say that it's an ass pull or random power up. The reason why I didn't like it is because it just looks so lame. Gon turning into a 30 year old man was a massive letdown after how awesome he looked with the white eye and black shadowy figure.

Then again this happens in quite a few anime. 1st Bleach when Ichigos final form turns him into a goth. Than Naruto turning even gayer than normal. And now Gon skipping puberty. Maybe it's a result of trying too hard to surpass DBZs Super Saiyan transformation.

Oh, yeah? So how do you reckon Gon defeat Pitou without breaking the nen rules then? The powerups you've mentioned doesn't even compare since those doesn't have severe repercussions like Gon's. Besides, this transformation/powerup is not suppose to be 'cool' but should have seen as an abomination. There IS a reason why extreme vow and limitations are not encouraged by any nen masters. Did you forget Wing admonishing Gon to NOT even consider doing what Kurapika did to his nen? Doing a 'vow and limitation' to your nen cripples the nen user.

Wanting Gon to have the powerup while still being a child is more lame than him forcefully making his body 'grow up' to reach the point in time where he can capably kill Pitou.
May 27, 2014 7:06 PM

May 2009
Can anyone tell me what chapter/volume of the manga this is adapted from?

or this arc at least?

Thank you in advance.

Edit/ 305. Thanks Teppei
dviceMay 27, 2014 7:12 PM
May 27, 2014 7:09 PM

Jul 2012
best anime im so glad i lived to watch this after the 1999 anime ended.
Cty Best mid
May 27, 2014 7:12 PM
May 2014
dvice said:
Can anyone tell me what chapter/volume of the manga this is adapted from?

or this arc at least?

Thank you in advance.

Chapter 305

Okay, so first off this episode was amazing. I made an account on animelist just to talk about it and I plan to stay. I'm not sure how people could NOT like this episode. It was just so amazing to watch the anime take of this and I couldn't look away every second. The OST and the goosebumps you got from watching this was perfect. I've said it a lot, but this was my favorite episode of the anime.

Did anyone think Final Getsuga Tenshou?
May 27, 2014 7:15 PM

Sep 2007
Well, I hate to say it, but this is the point where HxH jumped the shark for me. Not because of the tired old "sacrificing your future for the sake of the present" bit, or the anticlimactic ending to the battle, but because it ultimately turned into a clone of Dragonball Z where ever-escalating power levels and suicidal attacks are the norm.

Why exactly does Gon have to pull a SSJ-style transformation to win this battle? Could it be because the author knew he had written himself into a corner and had no other recourse but to resort to such an inelegant act to resolve this conflict? Or was it always planned to turn out this way from the beginning? If it was the former, then I'm afraid that all those hiatuses really hurt the story after all. If the latter, then I respect the author's decision but I cannot say that I'm impressed by it.

I already know how things play out from here, and nothing in the remaining manga chapters does anything to change my opinion that HxH peaked a long time ago. I truly hope that future events will prove me wrong.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. --Lord Acton in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887

If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier...just as long as I'm the dictator. --George W. Bush, during his first trip to Washington as President-Elect, Washington, DC, Dec. 18, 2000
May 27, 2014 7:17 PM

Mar 2014
So I finally got to watch this. Amazing episode. I feel like the animation could have been better but I guess they did that to fill in the talking. But overall, it was just so great. I loved how they animated what Gon did with his arm. There's reading the manga then watching greatness.
May 27, 2014 7:18 PM

Jul 2013
i havent read the manga but i knew of gon's transformation so i knew he would just slaughter pitou but still the only thing i can predict from this anime is what ive read before hand

at this point it cant be measured by anything but itself

T H E H X H G R E A T N E S S
May 27, 2014 7:19 PM

May 2011
I have been waiting months for this episode to come out ever since I read the manga chapters for this episode and it is finally here.

This episode was just amazing, Seeing Gon kill off pitou in his adult form in animation just gave me the chills. when it came to the fight, from the transformation to the final blow, I was just like YES!. I do give Pitou props for being so dedicated, coming back to after death and all but Gon was def the man in this episode.

Cant wait to see how they finish off the arc.
May 27, 2014 7:20 PM

Oct 2013
E P I C ! ! !
May 27, 2014 7:25 PM
May 2014
Just wanted to add I was just a little disappointed. I kind of expected Gon to be able to fight Meruem in a final battle. That would have been epic if he pulled out this during their fight, but it just wouldn't work for the plot. Losing his Nen reminds me of how Ichigo "lost" his soul reaper powers. Anyhow I think they definitely should've made the art when they first revealed Gon as the super human form (not when he's all shadow-like) "better". I thought it was a joke because it just seemed like they slacked for a moment. Though shit got real soon enough though.

Not sure if it was just me but did anyone else want to see Pitou's body after Gon's massacre? :c
Pages (21) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Anisamar - Oct 10, 2011

135 by WienGirl »»
Yesterday, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

47 by Rhae »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.