Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]
Mar 22, 2019 4:26 AM

Feb 2011
This last story arc was a fucking train wreck.
Apr 15, 2019 5:10 PM
Oct 2018
ain’t no rest for the wicked
May 9, 2019 3:08 PM
May 2019
I'm actually studying the ending for a paper. I remembered that in a different class the teacher brought up the chalkboard scene from The Girl who Leapt through Time animated movie and told us to make note that its twilight in that scene, as (I might be misremembering here) "In Japan, twilight is 'A Time of Change'."
This could lend credence to my theory that Elen and Reiji didn't die, they merely 'changed' from the world of assassins, and became civilians. This is also supported by the sun rising scene from the start of the show (entering the underworld), and the show ending with the opposite solar movement(leaving the underworld). Its all conjuncture at this point though.

And said paper is done. Anyone want to have a look at it?
NumberEinFanMay 9, 2019 6:31 PM
May 15, 2019 2:38 PM

Jun 2015
when Ellen caught the flying knife that was the best thing in the whole damn series.

Can't the dude live in peace? Did you really have to kill him off?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Sep 29, 2019 11:53 PM
Jun 2016
Ok...time to looking an ending explanation .
Dec 22, 2019 12:18 AM

Feb 2018
Unexpected ending, Zwei died with an unknown assassin. Whereas Ellen or Ein died by committing suicide eating poisonous flowers?
Feb 23, 2020 12:17 PM

Nov 2016
Fitting ending and made up for the lackluster showdown with the Zahlen Sisters.

Plot was very cheesy tbh and I don't even mind since it managed to be pretty entertaining nonetheless or rather because of it. In regards to the characters, I would like to say that they were genuinely good, but I merely liked them on a conceptual level.

5,5/10 or maybe a 6/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 8, 2020 12:47 AM

Sep 2011
I honestly didn’t have a problem with the ending. Both characters got what they wanted and died after as punishment for all the harm they caused. It’s fine.

My issue is the quality drop after the first arc. The relationship between reiji and eren was the most interesting thing in the show, how they develop as characters and the shared guilt they felt for killing so many people. The problem is that they “killed” eren so quickly, and then introduced us to Cal. While I didn’t mind Cal when she was 12 as it served as good character development for Reiji as the episodes went on, i didn't appreciate the complete tonal shift of the show from a depressing one to a more cheery one. And aside from Cal being a device for Reiji's character, I didn’t care much about her as her own character either. And this grew double when she came back as a 14 year old. There was no purpose to her character after the fire besides this weird, forced vengeance plot for leaving her to die even though reiji had no control over any of that. I would’ve rather focus that screen time on the other phantoms scythe master was making, where he hyped them up as stronger than our two main phantoms, yet were taken out so easily and quickly. Or more character growth with reiji and eren (the latter of which wasn't sufficiently developed in my opinion). I also don't understand what Claudia's plan was. All she did throughout the show was drive like a madwoman, sexually harass an underage boy while ordering him around, and then died in the sappiest way possible. Can someone explain what her purpose was? I also wish there were more scenes with the phantoms wearing their masks and hunting.

The show was okay, but i honestly was underwhelmed overall.
AlfonseMar 10, 2020 11:25 PM
Apr 13, 2020 7:08 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
I guess they lost their purpose after fulfilling Elen's past dream about her identity.

Running away forever doesn't seem to be a happy end anyway. They will grow old and the organization would still go after them.

It was a place where they decided to end everything.
May 2, 2020 9:38 AM
Oct 2019
So Reiji died and some time later Ellen went to the place where he died and smiled genuinely as Reiji wanted that and then she made herself “transparent” by eating a poisonous flower. Fantastic ending and series. 9/10
May 6, 2020 7:47 AM

Aug 2009
The show lost a lot of steam after the first arc, and the third arc was pretty damn bad. The only interesting characters throughout the show were Ein and Claudia. Claudia got killed off screen in the second arc in a very unsatisfying way and Ein was pretty much dropped throughout the second arc and didn't do much in the third either.
Inferno also played a massive role in the first two arcs, but they were suddenly dropped in the third? Like, what the hell. Why the hell did we spend so much time listening to their boring meetings, jeez.

I did find Ein's ending to be very satisfying, even though the random murder of Reiji almost ruined it.

This was the last show by Urobuchi which I hadn't seen yet and ultimately I'm disappointed. This could have been so much more.

5.5/10
Jun 13, 2020 4:11 PM

Aug 2014
I figured this kind of ending would play out, but still left an impact. Personally, I love this ending; feels so fitting and conclusive.
Really glad I gave this another shot after dropping it years ago.
YEROCKYJun 13, 2020 5:08 PM
Jun 26, 2020 8:13 AM
Aug 2016
Great Show,but..DDT's Ending in VN is still best for me.
Aug 21, 2020 9:58 AM
Apr 2012
My enjoyment for this series is clouding my judgement.
Rated it an 9/10
But I know it's like a 7-7.5.

The last 2 minutes ruined a lot for me, the last arc was just idiotic, and randomly places the story in the most generic anime setting... High school.

Mio randomly pops in as a generic anime highschool girl who has very little emotions besides innocence. Reiji becomes a generic hero, Ein has a ton of depth and was probably the saving grace for me.

But, the first act and the second-ish act were pretty great with the exception of few story beats. Like Claudia dying off screen, leader of Inferno being an NPC, Eins lack of presences in arc 2, and if I'm being completely honest, scythe master was a horrible antagonist.

But I really liked Eins, Zwei and Drei as mains. They were extremely enjoyable to watch develop.
Sep 10, 2020 4:36 AM

Jun 2012
Show started of really well then just got slower and boring in the final arc and episodes.

It was a decent VN adaptation, all things considered since the VN had multiple endings and a lot more character development and depth.

The anime ending is completely justified (albeit different from the LN) Elen and Reiji killed a lot of people, and they would never have escaped from Inferno. While Elen's fate is ambiguous. I'm fairly certain she died since her reason for staying alive was Reiji, who had also died.
Sep 20, 2020 4:23 PM
Jul 2019
This one imo had a lot of potential. It could have been so, so much better than what it's. The plot seems pretty good on paper, and the material is great, but the representation has lots of problems for me. Too many not very realistic problems that it's impossible to turn a blind eye on.

First 6 episodes were fantastic and very well fast paced. As I said, the potential already was huge, and that was what the 6 episodes offered, but then the pacing went down hill, and problems started to appear.

The end of the first arc was an absolute trash. Way too much unrealistic things happening in such a story to overlook. The series could have very well ended in episode 10, but Reiji decided to act like a zombie stalking Scythe and became over dramatic just for the sake of it, and Eren managing to get in front of the bullet out of nowhere was pretty lame. The transition between the first arc and the second made absolutely no sense. Eren got shot in the heart, or at least the lung, a critical injury then fell in water, and Reiji was shot by 4 bullets from a close range and also fell in water, but 6 months later he's suddenly fully healed and even the new phantom.

How did they both survived such thing, how did Scythe have time to recover her from water, get her to a good place for a surgery and extract the bullet before her actually dying ? How did Reiji survived so many shots from close range and dropping in water ? How did Inferno manage to find him out of nowhere, and how did they have time to actually rescue him ?

Apparently the writer had no answer to these questions either so decided to jump straight into the second arc and cross fingers the viewers will forget all these unanswered questions which just became plot holes at this point.

The anime then managed to regain some of its quality in the second arc, not great as first 6 episodes, but still fun watch, but ultimately, I really found Cal's arc to be pointless. Cut her completely from the show, will you miss anything ? Will the story of Reiji and Eren change this much ? No it won't. At the end of the day it felt like she was just there to drag the show, which highlights how really slow the pacing became after the initial few episodes. The second arc was just one hell of a drag, and could have been done in fewer episodes in my opinion. The anime had the nerve to put in 2 freaking recap episodes, one after each arc. Makes absolutely no sense for only a 26 episodes anime. Just go on with the story already.

Another problem that might be nitpicking for some is the characters definitely not look their age at all. Reiji looked like a fully mature +20 years old man in second arc, but third arc came and surprise, surprise, he's just a high schooler ? He even looks much older than all school mates (By the way, it also made absolutely zero sense for him to use his freaking real name when he decided to hide in Japan. Is he stupid ? You're a wanted man by a criminal organization and freaking Mafia, bro, use a fake identity and start a new life to make them struggle to find you. By using his REAL name in his ORIGINAL country, I can't believe it only took Inferno 2 whole years to find him).

Cal in the second arc looked no older than 11-12 years old kid. Short, childish voice, and a body that's definitely not fully mature yet with still flat chest and stuff, but then 2 years later and she looks like a fully grown and mature woman, with 2 huge melons on her chest, much taller, changed face and much deeper voice. She changed massively in just 2 years, how exactly am I supposed to believe this ? Her hormones must have gone wild in these 2 years I assume, or did Scythe give her hormonal injections as part of her training ? I know some might say she's 16 by third arc etc, but she still looked way older than any 16 years old girl.

The points of conflicts seem to be solved pretty quickly which gives a sense of being underwhelmed imo. The anticipated conflict and fight between Eren and Reiji in episode 18 ended up with a pretty very short knife fight that barely lasted, then one conversation and it was over ? Claudia's plot line ended in a very abrupt and underwhelming way, that even till the end I was trying to think she might be alive or something. She was a very important character during the first 2 arcs so for her to die so quickly, so abruptly and for her goal to reach such end. Very underwhelming. The conflict between Reiji and Cal in episode 24 ended in no time as well. IMO, these conflicts didn't live to the hype built around them by the show, and considering how much the pacing was slow in scenes that could have been cut or even shortened a little bit, it made no sense for the anime to not deliver when it actually matters. The end result was that I wasn't satisfied after any of them.

Finally, while I have no problem with Reiji killed by Inferno at the end because actually it makes sense that inferno will get rid of its loose ends, however, both Reiji's and Eren's death came way too abruptly and out of nowhere as if it was just for the sake of having a shocking ending. This again highlights how the unimportant events get dragged, while the important ones are just rushed in this show. Again, I think it made sense, but it should have been built up and represented in a much better way than such abrupted one. It seems the writer valued the shocking value of an ending more and I don't agree with this thinking.

I know I sounded pretty harsh on this, but it's not a terrible show. It was still fun. I enjoyed watching it overall. The plot is good when you summarize it on paper and think about it. The characters, well definitely not all of them but many were done well and made me care about them, (well until their plot lines ended abruptly like Claudia), the overall atmosphere is great and OSTs were fantastic.

It just pains me that this show could have been so, so much better. It could have been adapted, written and represented in a much, much better way, so it hurts with all these problems imo.

Overall, I will give it a 6/10 that is closer to being 6.5. The first 6 episodes started as 8, then it dropped to 7 and by the end of the series it dropped to 6.
el3melSep 20, 2020 5:05 PM
Dec 19, 2020 10:09 PM

Aug 2016
Naaaah
bad ending :(
Jan 4, 2021 9:34 AM
Apr 2020
So judging in the comments section because I have no idea WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED THERE, they said that in the end, they end up dead at this finale..

As I gather more Info's why they ended up dead, I found out that the title connects something - the "Requiem" part, Elen looking on to the sky and smiling in the end and then fading slowly and why Zwein was shot...

In short, it was a complete but a depressing ending. ( Just read the old comments so that you can understand more )

I enjoyed this anime a lot. It hafd a huge potential to be one of my best animes. I was gonna rate this 10/10, but with that ending, I concluded that I'll rate this 8/10 final. They could've done more job giving it a lot more detail in that ending...
Jan 6, 2021 10:50 AM
Jul 2020
Hmm.. This show was very good. It's probably going on to my favorites. Though it was long and repetitive at times, the remarkable character and plot progression is what makes this story one of the best assassination shows.

Overall, 9/10. Pretty darn good imo.
Jun 24, 2021 5:51 AM

Mar 2013
The ending I was hoping for was supposed to be a great happy ending but NO! The author killed him, seriously, maybe the author despised happy ending... I don't know and that is sick in a negative way. There was never a happy ending in this show the moment Cal was killed (even though its obvious). Such tragedy. There wasn't even a story of killing the head / master of the "Inferno" and it may never will. Such bad taste or I simply picked a wrong story.

However, despite all the things I said, I got entertained quite well but the downfall of my hype was because of that very ending scene, I really can't get over it at the moment. 😔

The only thing that kept me going (watching this) was about the love between Ein and Zwei.

While I would give this a 8/10, it became 7/10 for the bad after taste.

There wasn't even an adaptation (whether the source is available or not) for the main characters back stories, heck, even the antagonist doesn't have the luxury for it.
What I meant about these statements are their parents, siblings and friends before they even became an assassin
This having a large score is overrated in my very humble opinion but I do agree watching how they grow is very enjoyable nonetheless.
CrazyButNot4UJun 24, 2021 6:08 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 2, 2021 7:39 PM
Mar 2016
I need help. I could've sworn that I deffinitely see some character from different anime that have the same design as adult Cal Devens. but I can't remember. can someone help.
Oct 6, 2021 1:13 PM
Oct 2020
KinjiKido said:
I need help. I could've sworn that I deffinitely see some character from different anime that have the same design as adult Cal Devens. but I can't remember. can someone help.
I think she's similar to the red saber from the Fate series. I still can't get my head around the ending but I liked the show. I knew it would be fitting for them to die at the end for the type of show this is but I didn't really want them to.
Dec 14, 2021 7:36 AM
Dec 2018
They are all dead. The title suggests that they all die. Them all dying fits in with how pointless and never-ending it all is.

I thought it was a good show but Cal's logic was a bit lacking. He took her in and helped her when she had nothing. He had no reason to lie to her. For her to go with Scythe Master and ignore what Lizzi said was just stupid. She could have found him and they would have been fine, as the dream sequence suggested. They aged her a bit too much as well, it was 2 or 3 years!

But, all in all, a great show.
Jan 14, 2022 10:14 PM
Sep 2020
This anime is just too overrated by its fans
1st arc is solid after that it drops heavily
Cal's ageing was wierd
MC s didnt did anything in 3rd arc
I will say 3rd arc and last ep ruined this series
Some of characters decisions didnt made sense
5/10
Gintama and one piece are love
Mar 2, 2022 11:55 AM
Aug 2018
el3mel said:
This one imo had a lot of potential.<...>

Bravo. I agree with your review and i too had the same issues with the show which have resulted it in getting a 7/10 rating (i tend to round up). Those two feaking recap episodes too. I can perhaps understand a recap if its one of those shows where it continues after 3 years break and they want to remind the TV audience, but i looked up original airing dates and it was normal weekly schedule.

With regards to Cal's age - Reiji does make it a point to point out at least twice that she is "small for her age". The change however was way too much. When she first shows up i thought it was lizzie.
Does the Reaper Dream of Darkness Darker than Black?
Jan 21, 2023 8:20 AM

Jan 2020
Overall a good anime but that last arc was a horrible, horrible mess, the tone felt so inconsistent compared to the first episodes.

I could've given a 9/10 but these last 7 episodes... ugh.
eblf2013Jan 21, 2023 8:25 AM
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 12, 2023 1:59 PM

Dec 2022
So everyone dies, I guess? It was originally a Nitroplus VN, so it's to be expected.
This anime started out so well, but kept messing up where it counts.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 24, 10:16 AM

May 2020
What a depressing anime. I liked it even though it lacks in most of the aspects especially storytelling was average. I really wanted cal and reiji be good together again but it didn't happen T_T

They got rid of all phantom members in the end which means i guess ein died too. This was a type of anime that shouldn't have a good ending anyway imo.
defaulticusMar 24, 10:20 AM
Apr 15, 1:49 PM
Mar 2021
This was cruel, sad, i dont know what to say
They did have to do my cal and reji
May 4, 4:13 PM
Mar 2023
Reply to __FK__
This was cruel, sad, i dont know what to say
They did have to do my cal and reji
@__FK__ Check out the Visual Novels, they're alive in the actual story. (they're called Phantom of Inferno (2012 / 2000)
May 4, 4:15 PM
Mar 2023
Reply to defaulticus
What a depressing anime. I liked it even though it lacks in most of the aspects especially storytelling was average. I really wanted cal and reiji be good together again but it didn't happen T_T

They got rid of all phantom members in the end which means i guess ein died too. This was a type of anime that shouldn't have a good ending anyway imo.
@defaulticus Sup, there's an ending with Cal and Reiji in the visual novel, so make sure to check it out ^_^
May 4, 4:17 PM
Mar 2023
Reply to Gab5
They are all dead. The title suggests that they all die. Them all dying fits in with how pointless and never-ending it all is.

I thought it was a good show but Cal's logic was a bit lacking. He took her in and helped her when she had nothing. He had no reason to lie to her. For her to go with Scythe Master and ignore what Lizzi said was just stupid. She could have found him and they would have been fine, as the dream sequence suggested. They aged her a bit too much as well, it was 2 or 3 years!

But, all in all, a great show.
@Gab5 In the game (visual ending), the ending is generally considered a bad one, compared to the other endings. There is one with Cal forgiving Reiji and stuff, as well as showing how Lizzie survives the duel and shoots McGuire, allowing Reiji and Elen to escape, without dying to the cart man at the end
Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nayrael - Aug 13, 2009

272 by TankerNejla »»
Apr 29, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.