Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Nov 2, 2014 8:49 PM
Jun 2009
jreginald said:
geearf said:
2- Yeah I know, but then flashbacks were not necessary.. It pumped me up I wanted to see him but we never did, it's sad.

Oh, what was that scene?

Gyro's backstory is probably the best backstory I've seen in the show so I definitely don't mind it at all.

It's about 2 pages, see the spoiler.

Read it!
That's pretty cool!
I guess if the anime is over I'm pissed about not seeing him.
BUT with the manga still running maybe...

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2014 9:38 AM
Jan 2014
L-Azuara said:
Why should i watch it ?

Let me start, by saying HXH 2011 is amazing, i loved and enjoy every single second of the anime until the end of Yorknew City arc. overall so far 9.5/10

Can someone please explain me why this is happening. i like animes that even though they had nothing of realistic on it they still grasp that feeling by only involving humanoids ( like demons or angels, etc) or mutants that resemble humans , however the idea of talking animals was not really appealing to me.

Once again if someone could please let me know why should i watch it, cause I just dropped it and i want to know if its any good or if you agree with me. I really need someone to tell me the good of this arc and how it is exciting to watch it.

I completely agree with you - Hunter and Hunter 2011 is amazing and in some ways surpassing the old one, what I don't like are Yorknew and Chimera and arcs, they are horrible and boring. What I did was watch one of three episodes while skipping every 10 seconds, so I watched those two shitty arcs within 5 minutes each. And then I proceded watching the Chairman Election, which is a lot cooler.
Nov 9, 2014 9:50 AM

Dec 2013
Allwynd said:
L-Azuara said:
Why should i watch it ?

Let me start, by saying HXH 2011 is amazing, i loved and enjoy every single second of the anime until the end of Yorknew City arc. overall so far 9.5/10

Can someone please explain me why this is happening. i like animes that even though they had nothing of realistic on it they still grasp that feeling by only involving humanoids ( like demons or angels, etc) or mutants that resemble humans , however the idea of talking animals was not really appealing to me.

Once again if someone could please let me know why should i watch it, cause I just dropped it and i want to know if its any good or if you agree with me. I really need someone to tell me the good of this arc and how it is exciting to watch it.

I completely agree with you - Hunter and Hunter 2011 is amazing and in some ways surpassing the old one, what I don't like are Yorknew and Chimera and arcs, they are horrible and boring. What I did was watch one of three episodes while skipping every 10 seconds, so I watched those two shitty arcs within 5 minutes each. And then I proceded watching the Chairman Election, which is a lot cooler.

Can you stop? People really like to share this stuff don't they.

It's only your opinion and weird taste that you find those arcs boring and ''horrible''. HxH is so well received because of those arcs, because without them it would be another generic battle shonen, but with those arcs it surpases them by quite a lot.

Also, skipping arcs? This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a while.
Nov 9, 2014 10:11 AM

Oct 2013
robis798 said:
Allwynd said:

It's only your opinion and weird taste that you find those arcs boring and ''horrible''. HxH is so well received because of those arcs, because without them it would be another generic battle shonen, but with those arcs it surpases them by quite a lot.

It's his right to share his opinion. And it is our right to ignore it, I mean what are you trying to discuss with him? He didn't even watch the arcs, clearly discussion can't be made, his opinion is irrelevant and invalid.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nov 9, 2014 12:18 PM

Mar 2012
robis798 said:
Allwynd said:

Stop getting butthurt.
Usually butthurt is from the antihxh side so let's keep it that way.

Also, it's perfecty normal to skip arcs.
End Zionazism
Nov 16, 2014 9:16 PM
Apr 2014
Good god, I'm now at 116 and I'm so f-ing tired of this arc. Why make things SO long? It reminds me of the FMA:B ending where it took like 20 episodes to finish the big bad guy. Except CA arc is even more overextended.
Nov 16, 2014 9:39 PM
Apr 2012
This arc killed the series for me. I loved everything before it, or at the very least liked it. I'll probably get around to continuing it at some point but I lost a lot of faith in where the show was going after this arc. Though I did like the little story between the kind and whats her face, the power balance of all the characters got completely screwed.
Nov 17, 2014 10:20 AM

Oct 2014
I hope you get the Points, even though english is not my motherslanguage

I find it so fascinating, that the opinions on the chimera ant arc go so apart.
IMO it's a amazing arc. it has almost everything( great character developments, great storytelling, plottwists, deaths, emotions etc . etc.) i think peolpe had to high expectations for this arc.

- at first we got introduced to chimera ants and some people might not like the plot of ants, because it feels random.

- this Story arc has slower pace, than previous arcs and because of that fact, it can be annoying. And than we have the all mighty Narrator, where everyone loves and hates, also known as the new mc of the show^^jokes aside. i actually liked the use of narration alot, but in Mangaform it works much better, because it doesn't need to drag the Scenes out.

- I think, this arc was to hyped up and Hype can be really dangerous, especially for an arc that follows slightly a different path, than previous arcs. ( Narration, slow pacing)
People get dissapointet, because they didn't expect something like Narration. i'm 100% sure Anime only watchers didn't see that coming. they expect non stop Action.

I see why people might get tiresome of this arc, but for me personally this is a masterpiece.

well, this is my opinion on the whole discussion here.
Nov 17, 2014 10:27 AM

Dec 2013
I think what really counts is the ending of Chimera Ant arc. For me, the ending was really impactful and these boredom moments I had while watching this arc disappeared from my memory, like, how could I have thought that that was boring?

But as usual, some people don't see HxH as a masterpiece and view it from another, more critical angle. And there really are pacing issues in Chimera Ant arc.

Overall, this arc is really a masterpiece, an example of how battle shonen can transcend to something bigger.
Nov 17, 2014 10:30 AM

Jan 2013
I think a lot people dislike it more because of how slow the pacing was for the arc. The other arcs are relatively normal paced.
Nov 17, 2014 10:30 AM

Nov 2010
robis798 said:
I think what really counts is the ending of Chimera Ant arc. For me, the ending was really impactful and these boredom moments I had while watching this arc disappeared from my memory, like, how could I have thought that that was boring?

But as usual, some people don't see HxH as a masterpiece and view it from another, more critical angle. And there really are pacing issues in Chimera Ant arc.

Overall, this arc is really a masterpiece, an example of how battle shonen can transcend to something bigger.
People can still not see HxH as a masterpiece even if they don't view it from a more critical angle.
Nov 17, 2014 10:33 AM

Dec 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
robis798 said:

People can still not see HxH as a masterpiece even if they don't view it from a more critical angle.

But you will always view it more critically if you don't see a series as a masterpiece. Flaws are more noticeable then.
Nov 17, 2014 12:25 PM

Oct 2013
robis798 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

But you will always view it more critically if you don't see a series as a masterpiece. Flaws are more noticeable then.

It has nothing to do with viewing sth as a masterpiece, I don't view HxH as a masterpiece and there is no such thing as perfection. Some people are just too critical towards almost every show they watch also they have different preferences. I love the narrator and I actually love the episodes with 3 chars standing around doing nothing but talking (eg 116, 134) more than the actual action packed ones. I love to see the thoughts ad emotion of each char and their interactions and development(for me there are tons of things happening, tons of interesting things!!!), others on the other hand will label those kind of episodes uneventful and boring, thus having problems with the "pacing".
vedatsvetNov 17, 2014 2:23 PM
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Nov 17, 2014 2:38 PM

Mar 2012
robis798 said:

What? I have never seen anyone who disliked it viewing it from a critical point at all.
complaints stem from the lack of being critical and more being "fight-hungry".

Which I believe also answers the question in your first paragraph.
End Zionazism
Nov 17, 2014 2:42 PM
Nov 2014
i love chimera ant arc, i love meruem and komugi, but it sucked when the pacing became slow =3
Nov 17, 2014 5:44 PM

Jan 2014
soundscape said:
robis798 said:

It has nothing to do with viewing sth as a masterpiece, I don't view HxH as a masterpiece and there is no such thing as perfection. Some people are just too critical towards almost every show they watch also they have different preferences. I love the narrator and I actually love the episodes with 3 chars standing around doing nothing but talking (eg 116, 134) more than the actual action packed ones. I love to see the thoughts ad emotion of each char and their interactions and development(for me there are tons of things happening, tons of interesting things!!!), others on the other hand will label those kind of episodes uneventful and boring, thus having problems with the "pacing".

I had no problems with the pacing, but I still found some of those episodes to be uninteresting, and I don't think I'm particularly critical either.
I am far more interested in the plot and unfolding of events including the characters involved.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 17, 2014 11:55 PM

Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:
soundscape said:

I had no problems with the pacing, but I still found some of those episodes to be uninteresting, and I don't think I'm particularly critical either.
I am far more interested in the plot and unfolding of events including the characters involved.

Which episodes or events specifically you are talking about? Why were they uninteresting to you? I found them immensely interesting (except for 113 115, those are the only 2 ep I didn't like).
Nov 17, 2014 11:56 PM

Nov 2013
Mr7Beans said:
tl;dr, no it's not. it's one of the best arcs if not the best.
Nov 18, 2014 10:49 AM
Aug 2013
keragamming said:
This arc is so boring, It's mostly 80% talking and 20 percent fighting. But what's worst is the inner monologue and the narrator talking during the fights as if we're so dumb to not understand what's going on.The ant design is lame, the entire arc feels like filler to be honest. This arc is battling with greed island as the worst arc in the entire series.

If it weren't for yorknew city this series would've been a 6 at best. I personally think hunter x hunter is overrated and that people only talk good about it, because it's so called well written. The big 3 is way more entertaining than this series.

It also annoys me that people say this is the best shounen anime ever, really? This doesn't even come close to Yu Yu hackushoo, that series was entertaining throughout. I just hope after this arc ends we can get back to the phantom troupe which is the golden part to this series.

Being entertaining doesn't always mean it's well written. I see you rated Dragon Ball/Z with a 10 out of 10, and while it is entertaining, there are obvious plot holes. Also, out of the big 3, Bleach is the worst written shonen EVER! Orihime says "Don't die on me Ichigo!" and he got a power up and one shotted to win? Cheap power up! Naruto also did a very big deus ex machina with pain reviving people with a jutsu that wasn't foreshadowed at all. HxH doesn't do that. Also, don't ALL of those other series I mentioned have pacing problems?
Nov 18, 2014 9:16 PM

Jan 2014
soundscape said:
RedRoseFring said:

Which episodes or events specifically you are talking about? Why were they uninteresting to you? I found them immensely interesting (except for 113 115, those are the only 2 ep I didn't like).

From the start of the arc, mostly the ants eating random humans. It was good as a novelty but wore thin after a while when Pokkle and co got killed.
And the RG sitting around pretty much doing nothing. That's pretty self-explanatory. At that point, Meruem's matches with Komugi were all that kept interest.
Some of the moments when they were repeating the plans for the invasion were uninteresting as well. After the Rose and Meruem's revival, the whole thing with Pouf trying to hide Komugi too.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 18, 2014 10:27 PM
Apr 2014
I still don't get it. If Chimera Ants are such a threat, why not sent a horde of hunters to deal with them? Instead they sent... five. What if they fail? They'll send another five?
Nov 19, 2014 12:04 AM

Oct 2013
gghelis said:
I still don't get it. If Chimera Ants are such a threat, why not sent a horde of hunters to deal with them? Instead they sent... five. What if they fail? They'll send another five?

This has been talked about a lot, like, really a lot. As far as u have watched it's been implied that Netero is being sabotaged.
Nov 19, 2014 12:20 AM

Oct 2013
RedRoseFring said:
soundscape said:

From the start of the arc, mostly the ants eating random humans. It was good as a novelty but wore thin after a while when Pokkle and co got killed.
And the RG sitting around pretty much doing nothing. That's pretty self-explanatory. At that point, Meruem's matches with Komugi were all that kept interest.
Some of the moments when they were repeating the plans for the invasion were uninteresting as well. After the Rose and Meruem's revival, the whole thing with Pouf trying to hide Komugi too.

I enjoyed almost every one of those moments. RG waiting had a reason, and at that time we were watching Meruem x Komugi plus Morel and Knov (like Morel fight with Cheetu, Knov infiltration etc, all very interesting stuff). Ok maybe there was 1 episode where they went through the plan again but (109.110) there was new information each time( I understand, though I think that information was kinda needed). Really you thought Poufs schemes were boring? You didn't like his encounter with Killua? I can get the rest but Pouf and his obsession/madness was so interesting to watch not to mention we were getting bits of information and progression about other things.
Well I guess it boils down to preference as I said. I think people had different expectations for this arc based on what they had seen till now of HxH that's why it was so divisive.
Nov 19, 2014 9:15 AM

Mar 2012
gghelis said:

Same reason every assassination/ambush/covert mission doesn't include armies.
End Zionazism
Nov 19, 2014 10:22 AM

Mar 2014
soundscape said:

I enjoyed almost every one of those moments. RG waiting had a reason, and at that time we were watching Meruem x Komugi plus Morel and Knov (like Morel fight with Cheetu, Knov infiltration etc, all very interesting stuff). Ok maybe there was 1 episode where they went through the plan again but (109.110) there was new information each time( I understand, though I think that information was kinda needed). Really you thought Poufs schemes were boring? You didn't like his encounter with Killua? I can get the rest but Pouf and his obsession/madness was so interesting to watch not to mention we were getting bits of information and progression about other things.

Well I guess it boils down to preference as I said. I think people had different expectations for this arc based on what they had seen till now of HxH that's why it was so divisive.

L2usespoilertags guys.

I agree with Pouf's schemes being interesting, his interaction with Killua was such a great mind game. Disguising himself as Komugi to convince Pitou that she was safe was also a genius move. I hated Pouf as a character, found him to be so annoying but he was definitely the most interesting RG out of the 3.
Nov 19, 2014 11:56 AM

Jan 2014
Just finished the arc and it was pretty good, but it definitely has a lot of flaws. Pacing was probably the biggest issue, condensing the whole arc into fewer episodes would have really benefited it.
Nov 19, 2014 12:48 PM

Mar 2012
Cobb said:
Just finished the arc and it was pretty good, but it definitely has a lot of flaws. Pacing was probably the biggest issue, condensing the whole arc into fewer episodes would have really benefited it.

That's incorrect. Condensing the arc, which had so much content, would mean butchering the plotline, and having to remove a lot of details in the process.
Again, people's idea of "pacing" is how much action per episode or something of the sort, which is not how judging the amount/importance of content is.
End Zionazism
Nov 19, 2014 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
Mikasa said:

That's incorrect. Condensing the arc, which had so much content, would mean butchering the plotline, and having to remove a lot of details in the process.
Again, people's idea of "pacing" is how much action per episode or something of the sort, which is not how judging the amount/importance of content is.

I agree, but the fight against Youpi was so long winded o:
Nov 19, 2014 1:07 PM

Oct 2013
GreenSoap said:
Mikasa said:

I agree, but the fight against Youpi was so long winded o:

But it had to be. It had some crucial developments. Character development and plot wise. Also I found it an interesting one exactly because it had all these stuff involved. If I wanted to see "just" a fight, I wouldn't be watching HxH. I mean I found immensely interesting and amazing the fact how his new power that was formulating during the actual fight was reflecting his personality at that time and the change during it. I mean he was an instictive guy who would rage easily ad try to win by force not using his head, and then we see him starting thinking and ultimately isolating his rage in a part of his body making it a weapon. When he did isolate it he could think clearly and srategize, it is also symbolic. To me this is fascinating stuff, to others this is boring. Thus they have problem with the pacing and saying this arc sucks. I disagree there is no problem with the pacing, there are just different preferences.
Nov 19, 2014 3:15 PM

Jan 2014
Mikasa said:
Cobb said:

I disagree, you can definitely condense it without butchering the plot, by removing things that are too long-winded or do not add much, if any, significance to the plot. And, by removing uninteresting and unnecessary details you will inevitably improve the pacing as only the interesting and necessary details remain.

Just one example would be episode 128. That episode could definitely be condensed, they did not need to spend half the episode showing Pouf and Youpi's reactions to healing the King. Speeding that scene up would not be butchering the plot in any way.
CobbTNov 19, 2014 3:21 PM
Nov 19, 2014 5:31 PM

Jan 2014
soundscape said:

The stuff with Morel and Leol was a let down. It basically led nowhere, although I admit it was interesting to keep up with until the last fight.
Oh, Pouf was fantastic and probably the most interesting character of the arc. It was the rehash after Meruem's revival that was uninteresting. Pouf was great at what he was doing, it was just that the whole premise of what he was doing was uninteresting seeing as it just involved the least interesting characters in the arc and Meruem was just relegated to god duty, so had nothing left to pull interest except his inevitable reunion with Komugi.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 19, 2014 8:22 PM
Apr 2014
soundscape said:

Netero is being sabotaged.

Um... so? They put the humanity at risk just for the sake of putting a poo at Netero's door?
Nov 19, 2014 9:04 PM

Feb 2014
gghelis said:
soundscape said:

Um... so? They put the humanity at risk just for the sake of putting a poo at Netero's door?
Why do you think everyone care about humanity's fate anyway?
Nov 19, 2014 9:20 PM

Jun 2009
gghelis said:
soundscape said:

Well, this should make sense if you have met the (lovable) bastard responsible.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 20, 2014 12:27 AM

Oct 2013
gghelis said:
soundscape said:

You don't even know who "they" are nor do you know "their" motivations for doing so. Just watch all the anime and pay attention, it is explained.
Nov 20, 2014 12:55 AM
Jun 2013
Taking Action as View point , Yes it was weak.............

But it brought out the best Emotions ................
Nov 20, 2014 1:21 AM

Jan 2014
ashishkaull said:

I agree with this, the emotional and psychological aspects of the arc are its strengths, but the lack of action definitely works against it - and there's no reason you can't have both.

There's a reason why Netero vs Meruem is one of the most loved episodes of the whole arc, because it had a much better balance between the psychological/emotional factors and actual action. I think the whole arc would be much less divisive amongst fans if this balance was regularly achieved throughout.
Nov 20, 2014 1:34 AM
Jun 2013
Cobb said:
ashishkaull said:

I agree with this, the emotional and psychological aspects of the arc are its strengths, but the lack of action definitely works against it - and there's no reason you can't have both.

There's a reason why Netero vs Meruem is one of the most loved episodes of the whole arc, because it had a much better balance between the psychological/emotional factors and actual action. I think the whole arc would be much less divisive amongst fans if this balance was regularly achieved throughout.

Yup correctly said !!!!!!! If such a balance was achieved in the whole arc , then without any doubt this show was an actual Master Piece ...........

Because of this irregularity , one of my friend's who was a big fan turned into disliking the show ............ The show got a bit weak after 100th episode ( But it all depends on what was the mind set of person watching the show at that time ) .....
Nov 20, 2014 2:57 AM

Jun 2014
Cobb said:
ashishkaull said:

Seems like if the action tag of HxH is replaced by a psychological tag, this will act as a better indicator of the show's content. It has very few fights but this can only be noticed after you've watched it and coming with the expectation that it will have many is the first step to dissapointment. I don't think that the lack of action is the reason why some may dislike it. Yorknew had even less. One thing is sure though, if it had too many fights, many would've liked it less so actually some people like me believe it had the right balance.

Also, the second most loved episode if we go by percentage of 5/5s is the last episode of the arc and it had absolutely no fights.
Nov 20, 2014 3:03 AM

Jun 2014
gghelis said:
soundscape said:

Huh? Are you surprised that some humans don't care about others? Also notice that so far the ants have only invaded NGL and East Gorteau so it's not exactly the world, the only other location they attacked got an adequate responce from the inhabitants (meteor City invaded by Zazan) and this is how it always is even in our own world. Best answer though is:
insan3priest said:
Well, this should make sense if you have met the (lovable) bastard responsible.

The dude was mentioned in episode 99 if you paid attention.
Nov 20, 2014 4:21 AM

Jan 2014
Agafin said:

Seems like if the action tag of HxH is replaced by a psychological tag, this will act as a better indicator of the show's content. It has very few fights but this can only be noticed after you've watched it and coming with the expectation that it will have many is the first step to dissapointment. I don't think that the lack of action is the reason why some may dislike it. Yorknew had even less. One thing is sure though, if it had too many fights, many would've liked it less so actually some people like me believe it had the right balance.

Also, the second most loved episode if we go by percentage of 5/5s is the last episode of the arc and it had absolutely no fights.

You make some good points, but I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm not saying that:
- there should necessarily be a greater number of fights
- that the lack of fights is the sole/main reason people dislike the arc
- the best episodes have to contain fights, or that action even has to be present in any good episode

I am talking about improving the quality of existing battles. Ones that would have benefited from sacrificing some of the narration with faster-paced action, leading to more fights that resemble Meruem vs Netero, Gon vs Pitou, Uvo vs Kurapika or Chrollo vs Zeno/Silva- fights that are action paced, but still dramatic/strategic/emotional. Inevitably some people would dislike this, but I think the majority will end up liking it much more, judging from the fact that those are arguably the 4 most loved fights in the whole series.

Ultimately though, like you say, fights are not the main factor for deciding the quality of an arc. The lack of action is only a side effect of the real problem being that the Chimera Ant arc is too drawn out/slow-paced. Yorknew actually has a lot more action than CA. Yes it had only 2 fights but don't forget the whole arc is only 22 episodes. Also it had more action in other areas such as the Requiem. So Yorknew was far more compact, tense and exciting throughout, unlike CA.

I think the CA arc was the second strongest arc in HxH, but if it had been condensed and faster-paced, it would have been even more exciting/interesting. For me, this would potentially have made it even better than Yorknew City.
Nov 20, 2014 8:09 AM

Jan 2014
Agafin said:
Cobb said:

Action isn't only throwing fists. There is a lot of action in the series.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 20, 2014 10:53 AM

Jun 2014
Cobb said:

You make some good points, but I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm not saying that:
- there should necessarily be a greater number of fights
- that the lack of fights is the sole/main reason people dislike the arc
- the best episodes have to contain fights, or that action even has to be present in any good episode

I am talking about improving the quality of existing battles. Ones that would have benefited from sacrificing some of the narration with faster-paced action, leading to more fights that resemble Meruem vs Netero, Gon vs Pitou, Uvo vs Kurapika or Chrollo vs Zeno/Silva- fights that are action paced, but still dramatic/strategic/emotional. Inevitably some people would dislike this, but I think the majority will end up liking it much more, judging from the fact that those are arguably the 4 most loved fights in the whole series.

Those are the 4 major battles in the whole series so of course they are going to be liked more. Not all battles can have emotional impact or lots of build up. Heavens arena also had fights with no narration what so ever but you don't expect them to be emotional (they were strategic though) and consequently they can't be fan favourites.

I do see your point and yes it might have benefitted the series to have faster paced fights. I guess it's Togashi style and I don't know whether the fact that I'm a huge fan makes me overly forgiving but I honestly have no problem with that. I don't watch HxH for fights ( not saying that you do) so the fact that the few present have good enough choreography is fine for me.

I also like that the fights aren't just a display of abilities but also serve for character development and world building so besides a few they never seem unnecessary. I don't believe for example that I would've liked Youpi's development as much if it was fast paced.

Ultimately though, like you say, fights are not the main factor for deciding the quality of an arc. The lack of action is only a side effect of the real problem being that the Chimera Ant arc is too drawn out/slow-paced. Yorknew actually has a lot more action than CA. Yes it had only 2 fights but don't forget the whole arc is only 22 episodes. Also it had more action in other areas such as the Requiem. So Yorknew was far more compact, tense and exciting throughout, unlike CA.

CA also had action in other aspects such as ...well almost every scene in which Killua or Pitou were present.

Yes, Yorknew was majorly more tense, it's a thriller afterall. However some specific episodes of CA had equal or more suspense that the most suspensul of YN's and what makes them special is that they achieve this with absolutely no action.

When you have two or three characters doing nothing but talking for a whole episode and yet you are at the edge of your sit and feeling your blood flowing in your veins, then you know you know then you know you're watching a masterpiece. I'm referring to episodes like 108, 116 and 134. Only Death Note made me consistentl feel that way (Death Note is overall more tense than HxH though).

As far as the pacing, well HxH has the best pacing out of any long running battle shonen I've seen so the pacing in CA didn't feel bad to me especially since it was extremely dense content-wise. Yes, the Youpi/Pouf's ecstasy at the King's survival was to show us their instincts but I agree with you it could've been halved while keeping the same impact. Episodes 113 and maybe 115 could also have been faster paced as well as some parts of episodes 89-99 and 127-130. The CA could have been done in 55 episodes without much loss in content. Maybe 50 but that would be slightly rushed so I completely disagree that the arc could've been halved. It was done in 60 episodes so the pacing was not enough to bother me although I can see why it could bother some.

Note also that CA is charater-centric as opposed to Yorknew which is plot-centric and you can't pace a CC arc at the same pace as a PC arc.

I think the CA arc was the second strongest arc in HxH, but if it had been condensed and faster-paced, it would have been even more exciting/interesting. For me, this would potentially have made it even better than Yorknew City.

Understandable. It's the first arc for me though. It's not perfect by any means so I don't know whether I would've liked it more if it was faster paced, since you know rushing can be just as bad as snail pacing (not that CA has a snail pace) or even worse (just look at Tokyo Ghoul). I shall never know, well except if HxH gets a remake in the future although I personally wouldn't want that except if the current one is obsolete by then.

I am sure that those who don't like the arc or don't like it as much have other reasons (like the ants "coming out of nowhere" or a change in powerscaling) although it seems from a recent poll that pacing is the highest cause.
AgafinNov 20, 2014 11:07 AM
Nov 20, 2014 11:04 AM

Jun 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Action isn't only throwing fists. There is a lot of action in the series.

Yes I know but fights are most of the time what people expect when they see that tag. My point is that even a slice of life can have action but lack fights but no one will ever complain about it lacking fights since they didn't come with that expectation which seems to be the case with HxH. It has more quality than quantity as far as fights is concerned imo which is better for me. Maybe both tags (Psychological and Action) will do then.

Now that I think about it, even Code Geass needs a psychological tag, how do the mods even decide to put these tags? Meh, they most likely don't care.
AgafinNov 20, 2014 11:08 AM
Nov 20, 2014 11:54 AM

Jan 2014
Agafin said:

Those are the 4 major battles in the whole series so of course they are going to be liked more. Not all battles can have emotional impact or lots of build up. Heavens arena also had fights with no narration what so ever but you don't expect them to be emotional (they were strategic though) and consequently they can't be fan favourites.

Those fights being liked because they are the major battles is true, but I was really highlighting how you can have action without sacrificing drama/emotion/strategy (and not that every fight must have all of those elements at once). I agree that having more action doesn't automatically mean a better scene, I found the Heaven's Arena battles to be mostly uninteresting. Although, my point is that had those already (imo) boring battles been even longer and slower I would have found it even more uninteresting, so at least the faster pace of those particular fights helped by making it less drawn out and more bearable.

Agafin said:

I also like that the fights aren't just a display of abilities but also serve for character development and world building so besides a few they never seem unnecessary.

Completely agree, one of HxH's strengths, although more action doesn't necessarily mean you have to sacrifice character development or world building.

Agafin said:

I don't believe for example that I would've liked Youpi's development as much if it was fast paced.

Yeah I'm not saying every scene/fight in HxH has to be faster paced, just that some would have benefited from it. I agree Youpi's fight was one that worked well with the narration and a slower pace. I have more of an issue with something like Morel vs Pouf for example, which I found to be much less interesting and not as necessary, considering the length of their "fight" it didn't even really develop much of their characters.

Agafin said:

what makes them special is that they achieve this with absolutely no action.

Definitely, my favourite scenes in CA were anytime you get to see the interactions between Meruem and Komugi.

Agafin said:

The CA could have been done in 55 episodes without much loss in content. Maybe 50 but that would be slightly rushed so I completely disagree that the arc could've been halved.

I never said the arc could be halved, that's far too condensed lol. I do agree though that it could have cut at least 5-10 episodes worth of content and be as good, if not better, than it already is.

Didn't realise 'powerscaling' was a complaint, I felt that worked in its favour, otherwise you wouldn't feel the same level of hopelessness and despair which is key to the whole arc. Death Note is also a very fitting comparison for Yorkshin, probably why I like both so much (If it wasn't for DN's second half, it might have been my favourite anime of all time). Overall though, I do like CA, it's at least a solid 8.5/10, but that's the very reason why I feel quite critical I guess. I feel it was so close to being my favourite arc except for what I, personally, found to be fairly significant flaws.
CobbTNov 20, 2014 12:05 PM
Nov 20, 2014 9:47 PM

Nov 2011
I think the great thing about HxH besides the characters is that it isn't just the same thing over and over it takes more risks than the usual long running battle shounen, hell at certain points it felt like a completely different anime.
Nov 21, 2014 1:59 AM
Apr 2014
I've finally finished it. I still think it would be better if it was like twenty episodes shorter. A good satisfying finale anyway.
Nov 21, 2014 7:06 AM
Dec 2013
One thing that really annoyed me in the Chimera Ant arc was Knuckle's "Chapter 7 Bankruptcy".
Nov 21, 2014 7:27 AM

Jan 2014
DragonQuest3 said:
hell at certain points it felt like a completely different anime.

That's not always a good thing.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Nov 21, 2014 11:26 AM

Jun 2009
RedRoseFring said:
DragonQuest3 said:
hell at certain points it felt like a completely different anime.

That's not always a good thing.

In this case I would argue it is.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.