Forum Settings
Forums

Do people REALLY cry when they watch a sad anime?

New
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2011
Bawled my eyes out in Clannad each time I watched it (over 10 times lol) and there is a reason it's number 1 spot on my fave list since I joined.

Then again I am sensitive to sad things xF
Apr 19, 2014 1:20 PM

Apr 2014
I won't lie, while watching Ef and Clannad there were a few manly tears shed. lol
If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident. — Hei
Apr 19, 2014 1:30 PM
Apr 2014
It really depends on the anime. Some animes actually make people bubble up and drown in their own tears while others could have been sad but not necessarily crying level. Therefore, it really depends on how people react to a sad situation in an anime such as Clannad or Angle Beats to decide weather the people actually cried or not.
"Without L the world is just a word"
Apr 19, 2014 1:35 PM

Apr 2014
SGW said:
I won't lie, while watching Ef and Clannad there were a few manly tears shed. lol
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 19, 2014 1:35 PM

Dec 2013
deanzel said:
I once cried when my 3TB hard drive containing all my anime, TV shows and movies crashed while watching Clannad. Does that count?

Depends. Were you able to recover the data?
Apr 19, 2014 1:45 PM

Jun 2011
skyzblue said:
Texhnolyze's ending softened up my cold heart a bit.

Texhnolyze's ending made my heart even colder...

Apr 19, 2014 2:04 PM

Aug 2013
I have never cried watching a sad anime or movie.

I have been called heartless because of it.... :(
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Apr 19, 2014 2:07 PM

Apr 2013
Proust said:
deanzel said:
I once cried when my 3TB hard drive containing all my anime, TV shows and movies crashed while watching Clannad. Does that count?

Depends. Were you able to recover the data?

Nope... :(

After that, I learned my lesson to never take risks/cheap out with data. I bought an NAS and have been RAIDing ever since. I've got 30+ TBs now (way too much shit). If my server were to ever go down now, I don't think "crying" could even describe what I'd experience.
Apr 19, 2014 2:12 PM
Jan 2014
i have to confess that i cry a lot for everything, no kidding, but, there are some animes, i will example the famous ones, like angel beats or anohana that is sad but i couldn't cry because of them. There is a lot of another animes, like Saikano, that i cried like a baby. I think that depends of which kind of personality
Apr 19, 2014 2:54 PM

Mar 2014
If I cry at an anime, and there have been a few times, it's usually not at the kind of moments that people would typically cry at (for example, if a character died, tragic love story etc). To note a couple off the top of my head, part in Hajime no Ippo where
That made me quite emotional. Another one would be in Attack on Titan when
That's the kinda shit that get's the waterworks going for me. but yes, at all these moments, I did genuinely cry. It was shamefully woman-like.
"If you don't fight, you can't win"- Eren Jaeger
Apr 19, 2014 3:20 PM

Apr 2014
WillyL said:
Unchou said:
End of Evangelion

Asuka ;-;

I know right, them feels. Also came pretty close on the Nina episode of FullMetal Alchemist.
Have you worshiped our Empress today?

Apr 19, 2014 4:47 PM

Mar 2014
Extreme3708 said:
I always question myself if they really did cry or they are just exaggeratting or trying to be cool to fit in.

When exactly did it become "cool" to cry while watching dem Chinese cartoons?
Apr 19, 2014 4:59 PM

Feb 2013
I bawled my eyes out during the last 20 minutes of End of Evangelion and during the last few moments of the series itself, but that was several years ago during a rough patch in my life. Otherwise, a got a bit teary-eyed at certain moments in Cowboy Bebop and Paranoia Agent.

So I have cried, although as time is going by I'm doing it less and less it seems. Whether it's because of my mentality changing or the fact I'm just not finding the right series anymore, I dunno...

So yeah, it's totally possible. People are very different as well, so while some individuals might never get emotional about an anime, surely there are some out there who get distraught all the time
Apr 19, 2014 5:02 PM

Dec 2012
Rivalrun said:
Extreme3708 said:
I always question myself if they really did cry or they are just exaggeratting or trying to be cool to fit in.

The easiest ice breaker at a weeaboo convention "Clannad was so sad it made me cry too many times to count."
Apr 19, 2014 5:03 PM

Jun 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
Rivalrun said:
Extreme3708 said:

The easiest ice breaker at a weeaboo convention "Clannad was so sad it made me cry too many times to count."

But Clannad Afterstory is my favorite comedy anime.

Apr 19, 2014 5:10 PM

Mar 2012
Yes, though its usually just watery eyes than all out bawling.
Apr 19, 2014 5:24 PM

May 2013
ElPysCongroo said:
Yes, though its usually just watery eyes than all out bawling.

yeah, same here. Its mostly just because I easily attach to characters I think, still has only happened 2 or 3 times to me.
Bokura wa Minna Ikiteiru
Apr 19, 2014 7:09 PM

Nov 2013
melonzombie-chan said:
I've cried some times when I watched a sad anime like AnoHana. I cried on the last episodes of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo last week. So yes, I think that's possible.

The Graduation Ceremony Speech, welp ;_;
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Apr 19, 2014 7:40 PM

Mar 2014
I literally watched my friend tear up when he saw Sachi from SAO died.
And when I watched the anime you mentioned, not only did it ended up in me crying like a total bitch, it also ripped my heart out and tore it up apart into tiny little pieces before finally placing the tiny pieces into a never ending fire.

So, in other words, Yes, we do cry.

Hikigaya Hachiman said:
Hardwork betrays none, but dreams betray many.
Apr 19, 2014 7:42 PM
Dec 2013
WillyL said:
melonzombie-chan said:
I've cried some times when I watched a sad anime like AnoHana. I cried on the last episodes of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo last week. So yes, I think that's possible.

The Graduation Ceremony Speech, welp ;_;

Sakurasou was rubbish.
Apr 20, 2014 1:30 AM

Dec 2011
Redraft said:
And when I watched the anime you mentioned, not only did it ended up in me crying like a total bitch, it also ripped my heart out and tore it up apart into tiny little pieces before finally placing the tiny pieces into a never ending fire.

You heard of spoilers? You just ruined experience for me... Jish some people.
Apr 20, 2014 1:34 AM

Apr 2012
No, people don't cry, people throw stones at their computer screens.
Seriously?
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Apr 20, 2014 9:58 AM

Feb 2009
I really do cry kind of easily when watching anime I like ;;;
I've even sometimes shed a few tears of happiness when watching anime, too.
Cross my heart and hope to die
I promise that I will never lie
and if my promise ever does go
I give to you my eternal soul!
May 10, 2014 4:20 PM
Mar 2013
waterfallsxo said:

Personally I've never cried while watching anime either but I don't think you're heartless nor am I. There have been a few moments where I've gotten misty eyed though. Some anime are able to pull off genuine emotion and invoke a response from the viewer. But most anime I've seen just don't pull it off to the extent to which I feel like crying.
May 10, 2014 5:26 PM
Sep 2013
Its true I'm one of them
I've cried during all 3 of those as well as gurren lagann, One piece, yu yu hakusho, bakuman, ano natsu de matteru, ect.
May 10, 2014 5:34 PM

May 2014
emeraldrosary said:
waterfallsxo said:

Personally I've never cried while watching anime either but I don't think you're heartless nor am I. There have been a few moments where I've gotten misty eyed though. Some anime are able to pull off genuine emotion and invoke a response from the viewer. But most anime I've seen just don't pull it off to the extent to which I feel like crying.

Same here. I have never cried watching anime. Closest I remember has been AnoHana and Grave of the Fireflies: I get to feel sad and want to cry, but never actually do it. I wouldn't blame it on anime, though. I have had similar experiences with movies or books, too.

To OP, yeah people sometimes exaggerate their reactions, be them sadness due to a tragic story or emotion due to an exciting one in casual or playful conversation. I have been guilty of this too. But the sensitivity (and willingness to express it in public) of people to fictional stories varies. I have even caught friends of mine crying to One Piece. xD
May 10, 2014 5:40 PM

Feb 2014
I never cried before I started watching anime.

But there was ONE anime that made me cry.. and it was like the dam just broke, from then on I cry in every little thing, even in sol anime!

I believe crying to sad anime is something you acquire later.(after you watch a certain amount)
May 10, 2014 5:50 PM

Aug 2012
i cried many times. i think i cried at the ending of rurouni kenshin tsuiokuhen [trust & betrayal] ano hana and hachimitsu to kuroba as well.
Lyndon_OngMay 10, 2014 6:01 PM
May 10, 2014 6:08 PM

Aug 2012
Redraft said:

when sachi died it wasnt that sad for me coz it was somehow expected. i mean shes been saying shes afraid to die etc. and she didnt have alot of screen time also. that night when kirito recieved a msg from her and she hum a xmas song that was more sad for me.
May 10, 2014 6:20 PM

Apr 2012
I haven't shed a tear in around ten years. I'm being honest here when I say the closest I've been to shedding a tear was while watching Clannad.
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
Anime is the reason why I live.
This is what every first comment should be like.
May 10, 2014 6:32 PM
Feb 2014
well when i watch a drama anime i usually turn on my ''bitch mode''
May 10, 2014 6:53 PM
Apr 2014
Clannad definitely almost made me cry. And I don't show too much emotions very often
More Power for the Starpower 🌟💫
May 10, 2014 7:20 PM

Mar 2013
I never cry during a sad anime, but I always cry whenever I watch a manly anime
May 10, 2014 7:30 PM

Sep 2012
hentai_eucli said:
I never cried before I started watching anime.

But there was ONE anime that made me cry.. and it was like the dam just broke, from then on I cry in every little thing, even in sol anime!

I believe crying to sad anime is something you acquire later.(after you watch a certain amount)

Same here. Never used to cry while watching anime but one anime did and now it's like everything that is remotely heartwarming or sad makes me cry or teary eyed
May 10, 2014 8:43 PM

Feb 2013
I've cried tears of joy before, but when an anime's sole goal is to put me down in the dumps? Nah, I don't really care much for shows that are obviously trying to manipulate my emotions to that end. It's the reason why I couldn't get into Angel Beats!
May 10, 2014 9:37 PM

Apr 2014
I think there might have been something in my eye when I was watching Clannad and Anohana.
May 10, 2014 9:49 PM

May 2010
Yeah I've cried for a few anime...let's see...
AnoHana, Clannad After Story, Code Geass, Grave of the Fireflies, Rose of Versailles(I think) and Toradora. I'm sure there's others but w/e.
Speaking of Grave of the Fireflies, I showed it to my mom and she bawled her eyes out at the end, and she never wants to see it again cause it's too sad for her :P
May 11, 2014 12:37 AM

Sep 2012
I cry ; ;
I cry more than my girlfriend. All dem feels yo.
May 11, 2014 12:51 AM

Mar 2013
I shed a few tears watching Clannad, Code Geass. I felt really sad watching Angel Beats and Chuunibyou (I don't fucking know I was attached to the characters), SAO (same as reason as Chuuni).
That's all I can remember, but generally no I don't cry.

Edit: I'm retarded because I forgot I was tearing up watching Steins;Gate
SavvaspMay 11, 2014 1:04 AM
May 11, 2014 1:06 AM

Dec 2013
I cry tears of joy almost everytime i watch anime, even the shitty ones
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
May 11, 2014 3:34 AM

Nov 2013
I have yet to do yet that to anything. closest thing that almost got me was
May 12, 2014 6:36 AM

May 2014
YES! Hotarubi no Mori e, the only anime that made me cry
May 12, 2014 7:21 AM

Nov 2013
When I watched the original kanon, my eyes got watery. Not because it was sad, but because of how horrible the animation was.
May 12, 2014 9:25 AM

Mar 2014
I almost cried when Butterfree left Ash, but managed to hold my tears
"You cannot make the cold colder and the dark darker"
May 12, 2014 9:31 AM

Jan 2012
people cry because we get involved with the anime. thats how u enjoy entertainment
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
May 12, 2014 9:46 AM

Jan 2014
Well, I've never actually cried when watching sad anime, but I don't think that makes someone insensitive. For example I was really sad when
and felt like crying, but I just didn't. It's not necessary to shed tears if you're sad.
EvangrelMay 12, 2014 9:49 AM
May 12, 2014 11:57 AM

Mar 2013
The last thing I ever cried at was the Tarzan movie when the father gorilla died (was like 6 or something). Whether its live action or animated I am never physically moved to tears but I guess I cry on the inside.
May 12, 2014 12:16 PM

Nov 2011
antonn said:
No. Everyone who has ever said that they cried during an anime was lying, and just wanted to sound cool on the interwebz.

Have you seen Saikano? I actually had to pause the last episode until I stopped crying so I could even see clearly.
May 12, 2014 12:20 PM

Feb 2010
I used to think it was weird to cry for fiction but by now I've cried countless times and I'm just enjoying it when a show manages to evoke emotions like that and I just go with the flow.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 12, 2014 12:48 PM

Feb 2014
I cried watching AnoHana, got teary eyed with Angel Beats but I can't cry to Clannad, I don't know why.

Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 32 minutes ago

6 by Rinenka »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

34 by MadanielFL »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

8 by Dizzy-san »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 8 hours ago

36 by karrotStick »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

44 by Nurguburu »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.