Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 10, 2009 1:22 AM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Quite dissapointing in terms of animation, plot and most of all, Lawrence dissapoints me for the first time.

Certainly I thought Abe knew about Horo's real identity and by knowing that, blackmailing Lawrence about giving her money. I was wrong, although I'm still wondering why she's lying, her hands were shaking and that just shows me off that shes not even sure about this deal.

Anyway, I don't know the reasons of why she fears the stablishment of a cathedra, she had a good relationship with the bishop in the city, yet he would gain more power by becoming the archbishop, how this doesn't benefit her? Also how come Harold wanna get out of the city so sudendly when he was just subtly quite there in the inn saying nothing? Certainly he wanted to go in a pilgrimage, but this just came out of nowhere.

So, Horo agreed with Lawrence's deal along with Abe, really, its really dissapointing the fact that he just considered this dangerous deal knowing how emotionally delicate Horo can be. And she just said... Yes, which is even yet weird because she quite clearly stated before that she didn't wanted to get in trouble when they just got to the city. Well, this just looks like a prelude to whats going to happen next.
LunaNov 13, 2012 4:55 AM

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 10, 2009 2:08 AM

Apr 2008
Yeah, something weird's going on here. I can't tell whether Lawrence AND Holo are not understanding what's about to happen or if they're just that calm about it.
Sep 10, 2009 2:36 AM

Sep 2007
Arf...
I think the last episodes will be crazy... O_o
I'm afraid about that !
Sep 10, 2009 2:55 AM

Jun 2009
Do you think this anime will be end this season or will be made for another season??
Sep 10, 2009 3:16 AM

Apr 2008
Mikiyo said:
Anyway, I don't know the reasons of why she fears the stablishment of a cathedra, she had a good relationship with the bishop in the city, yet he would gain more power by becoming the archbishop, how this doesn't benefit her?

He cut ties with her. Much like politicians do, the bishiop is trying to clean up his past dealings so when he has power he will not owe favors that could potentially put him in an awkward situation. Just like when people win the lottery they suddenly have "family" they never knew about asking for money, when people gain power, they suddenly have a lot more "friends" then they used to that need something. Plus they portray the bishop as being a person that wants to rule from an ivory tower. At least that is what I walked away from this episode thinking.

IZUMI64 said:
Do you think this anime will be end this season or will be made for another season??

The source material is ongoing so if they want to animate a canon ending they will have to make more seasons.
Sep 10, 2009 5:57 AM

May 2009
I can't say that i didn't like the episode, but it wasn't as good as some of the previous ones. The next one should be interesting though, since we'll find out what Abe was planning, if anything.
Sep 10, 2009 6:34 AM

Apr 2008
Nitre said:
I can't say that i didn't like the episode, but it wasn't as good as some of the previous ones. The next one should be interesting though, since we'll find out what Abe was planning, if anything.

Spice seems to run on that sort of rollercoaster.
Slice of life episode->build-up episode->build-up episode->climax episode->repeat
Sep 10, 2009 7:12 AM

May 2009
Three_Leaf_Ivy said:
Nitre said:

Spice seems to run on that sort of rollercoaster.
Slice of life episode->build-up episode->build-up episode->climax episode->repeat

Pretty boring episode , i feel like it`s just another build up for the next episodes... they do indeed tend to do that . Sacrifice one episode to lay down everything for the next one.
Sep 10, 2009 7:18 AM
Aug 2009
Aw, Lawrence wants to play it safe but Horo pushes him into it. He's going to lose all his money again, isn't he? Abe just has to wait until Lawrence panics and is forced to buy Horo, and then she can run off with his money. Poor guy.. he's finally acting like a responsible partner and businessman, and Horo tells him to act like he did when they first met.
Sep 10, 2009 7:18 AM

Jan 2009
Abe is a sneaky bastard : o

Anyway, I really like that face that Horo did at.. 07:55, and I can't post the picture, because none of the imagehosting sites seem to be working for me at the moment >.> Dunno why ;_;

And that barmaid happens to be quite sly too, but in a different way xD

Anyway, now I've watched through the episode, and now I'm determined that this has to get another season, or I'll be disappointed, since they can't just end it all in only 2 more episodes O.O

Oh look, I made it on the first page of this thread : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 10, 2009 8:14 AM
Dec 2007
Awkward episode with an unusual animation and direction. I didn't follow the script either, and I wonder where the next episode will lead us. I'm always amazed at how S&W II deals with economy and business, but being a business school graduate myself, I'm not sure the author and scriptwriters know what they are talking about. Still, the medieval setting of the story makes it much more difficult for me to understand and analyze, so maybe I'm wrong.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Sep 10, 2009 9:00 AM

Jul 2009
I'm a bit disappointed by this episode as well, stranger animation and for some reason it seems like the characters aren't their usual selves.

Not much drama, quick witted or snappy dialogues either it's like half the team was on vacation when they did this episode.

Though I am curious as of how things will work out, will it miserably fail and the next season will be all about getting Horo back?
Or does he actually pull it trough and they continue they journey north.

Also I wonder why Abe was shaking at the end, is she lying to him or where she just nervous if he where going to make a deal or not.
Since it looked like she would be more or less screwed without Lawrence help.
Sep 10, 2009 10:17 AM

Feb 2008
im thinking that chick from the past is coming back for round two. its possible abe is being forced into this. its kinda hard to figure out whats up but oh well.
Sep 10, 2009 11:19 AM
Feb 2009
only two episode left? guess this anime will over when this arc finish.

hmm... wonder what this arc have to do with abe trading salt
oblivious is a bliss
Sep 10, 2009 11:22 AM
Feb 2009
... really hate my connection...>.< oh well... since i already double post i gonna talk a bit more...

flame_tiongSep 10, 2009 11:28 AM
oblivious is a bliss
Sep 10, 2009 11:24 AM
Jul 2009
Damn I have to wait another week. Pretty good set-up episode. Got me wanting more.
Sep 10, 2009 11:26 AM

Sep 2008
Have you not been watching the series at all? How is Horo emotionally delicate? Sure she snapped earlier in the season, but she got over in less then 5 minutes and she's the only one that is able to think well under pressure. Lawrence is basically a wreck when some thing serious happens, he's the emotionally delicate one.

And that guy has been talking about his pilgrimage like 2 episodes ago.

Personally I think this maybe be another way that the church is trying to get Horo, shit is gonna get serious in the next 2 episodes.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Sep 10, 2009 11:42 AM

Apr 2009
I just hope that Lawrence gets back some of his skills. It seems like the more he sticks around Horo, the more mistakes he makes in his business.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Sep 10, 2009 1:14 PM

Jan 2008
I'm pretty sure there's going to be a 3rd season, there's no way they end spice & wolf without Horo getting to Yoitsu.

Sep 10, 2009 1:36 PM
Aug 2009
Jigero said:
Have you not been watching the series at all? How is Horo emotionally delicate? Sure she snapped earlier in the season, but she got over in less then 5 minutes and she's the only one that is able to think well under pressure. Lawrence is basically a wreck when some thing serious happens, he's the emotionally delicate one.

Horo may be very mature, but she certainly is more delicate than she lets on. She's got enough experience to deal with her emotions quickly enough to turn the tables. But having a poker face and a clever line ready for every situation doesn't mean you aren't delicate.

It seems pretty easy to "hurt" her, actually. When Lawrence said she wasn't his type, she seemed genuinely hurt, even though she had a response that put him in his place. When he admitted that he had lost faith in her (even though he had every reason to) she was very hurt by it. Hell, she was genuinely hurt when that dude disparaged her tail a few episodes ago.

I'll readily admit that she's light years ahead of Lawrence. But he's 25 and he's been alone for most of his adult life, so it's hard to expect much from him. I know plenty of 25 year olds who are quite behind Lawrence in terms of emotional maturity.
Sep 10, 2009 1:48 PM

Aug 2008
Hmm...I found this to be the most interesting episode of the series. Lawrence walking around town actually trying to dig up information is a good change of pace from the regular structure of him floating into town and using convenient connections. However, once we got into the scene where Holo was definitely using her lie detector ears on what's her name, I started to get bored and my mind wandered. I'm not totally sure what she's up to, but I'm sure that the salt is the biggest key.
Sep 10, 2009 1:54 PM

Jan 2009
Jigero said:
Certain person has been missing the past few season and this one, and certainly you don't know Horo -at all-. Did you missed episode 3 [AKA: Book 3] of this season? Did that episode tell you something? Just because Lawrence didn't told her about Yoitsu being destroyed by the Bear she had an extremely emotional brakedown, even with her 600 y/o she is very delicate, she even thought for a moment Lawrence was using her.

And obviously shes the only one that is able to think well under pressure, Lawrence is just a kid when it comes to terms of age, she has been through a lot of situations in her life that rewarded her with experience, if that doesn't teach you something, I don't know what will.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 10, 2009 2:17 PM

Jul 2007
Animation looked kinda ... weird in this episode. Characters looked kinda I guess.. a bit worse?

Also, I think Horo is worth more than 1500 silver (w/e), seriously.
Sep 10, 2009 2:38 PM

Dec 2008
I enjoyed the episode more than some others I guess. Seems like things are going to get intense...I hope things don't go badly and Holo is taken away. I really don't want to have to wait for next season to see her come back or something.
Sep 10, 2009 3:36 PM

Mar 2008
Don't know what people are bashing about ... this episode is just as good as the others. In fact I'd say this is better the last few episodes since we are finally back to some "business" matters. Great episode!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2009 4:33 PM

Jun 2009
i agree that this can't end in 2 episodes unless theres a really bad, quick ending where someone dies, because theres noway they get to the north, so unless that deals works and they decide to stay in the city togther i dont see it ending(also i hope for a new season!)
Sep 10, 2009 6:26 PM

Apr 2009
iday12 said:
i agree that this can't end in 2 episodes unless theres a really bad, quick ending where someone dies, because theres noway they get to the north, so unless that deals works and they decide to stay in the city togther i dont see it ending(also i hope for a new season!)

Yeah, I don't actually think the show is implying that they are actually TRYING to get to the north within two episodes. Isn't there more source material to be animated after this anyway?

noteDhero said:
Hmm...I found this to be the most interesting episode of the series. Lawrence walking around town actually trying to dig up information is a good change of pace from the regular structure of him floating into town and using convenient connections. However, once we got into the scene where Holo was definitely using her lie detector ears on what's her name, I started to get bored and my mind wandered. I'm not totally sure what she's up to, but I'm sure that the salt is the biggest key.

The detective work was also what I found most compelling about this episode (plus, I admit that I just wanted to see the barmaid again). And yes, given that the salt was the one detail that was left unexplained towards the end I find it to be a reasonable assumption that it will figure heavily into the plot of the next two episodes. Not the salt, per se, but maybe perhaps the ramifications of being a salt merchant or even just the nondisclosure of it by Abe.

Yeah, I'm totally digging this.
Sep 10, 2009 7:50 PM

Jun 2007
The beginning of this episode made me feel like I missed an episode or something. We went from a cliff hanger last episode to a "wake up and act totally different" beginning episode lol.

Overall this episode was good. As expected the women is of royalty....but she's dirt poor which I wasn't really expecting. I had thought she was just hiding from her family or was kicked out.

A lot of things in this episode don't add up. The impression that I get is that the people Lawrence talked to may be in on this little business deal as well. It kind of seems like the women knows who/what Holo is and wants to sell her off because of her fur. At least that's the impression I got. But then again the salt was tossed in there so there could be a completely different reason.
Sep 10, 2009 9:27 PM

Dec 2008
I'm totally hoping for the plan to go downhill. because I'd just love some real convincing reassurance of a third season, and probably because I'm a little bit of an emotional masochist, only a little.
Now I could always just go ahead and read the novel, yes I should do that...
Sep 10, 2009 9:33 PM

Apr 2008
Has anyone noticed the art style change? Or is it just my imagination? Just seems like the art in this episode was a bit off than usual and in the bad way too. Hope it doesn't stay this way since Lawrence and Horo look awful in this episode.

Sep 10, 2009 11:25 PM
Mar 2009
This has to rank among the dumber plans ever devised. Honestly right about the part where "sell" + "Horo" entered the plan, Lawrence should have pimp slapped Abe and moved on. Jesus, he openly says if this fails, she winds up sold off to someone god knows where... I thought he learned this lesson already.

At least Horo can just giant wolf her way out of it when Lawrence inevitably messes up. But at that point, I'd seriously consider biting the twat in half.
Sep 11, 2009 3:55 AM

Jun 2008
PsychFreak said:
This has to rank among the dumber plans ever devised. Honestly right about the part where "sell" + "Horo" entered the plan, Lawrence should have pimp slapped Abe and moved on. Jesus, he openly says if this fails, she winds up sold off to someone god knows where... I thought he learned this lesson already.

At least Horo can just giant wolf her way out of it when Lawrence inevitably messes up. But at that point, I'd seriously consider biting the twat in half.

Didn't you notice that the one who actually convinced him going along with it was Holo. He was reluctant but she changed his thinking.

Also am a little surprised that no one noticed on those images the bishop being mad and being held by some men while a carriage was leaving who i can only suppose is the carriage of Abe. If the bishop just fucked her over why was he so mad there.
It seems to me like she did something to the bishop and that's why she is hiding her face in the town also.
the old man seems like he wants to get away also. And he was hiding him self a little.
They are obviously trying to use a stranger like Lawrence for something but we still don't know what exactly.
Sep 11, 2009 5:46 AM

Apr 2008
o_oll they're gonna do something risky

Sep 11, 2009 6:59 AM

Oct 2008
Monad said:
Also am a little surprised that no one noticed on those images the bishop being mad and being held by some men while a carriage was leaving who i can only suppose is the carriage of Abe. If the bishop just fucked her over why was he so mad there.It seems to me like she did something to the bishop and that's why she is hiding her face in the town also. The old man seems like he wants to get away also. And he was hiding him self a little. They are obviously trying to use a stranger like Lawrence for something but we still don't know what exactly.

I agree with this statement and the others statements that have pointed out that this Abe is up to something. But I still couldn't hold back my sigh when I realized this was the story arc they were going to follow. I was hoping that the past few episodes of relationship building and emotional attachment was going to mean something. This episode seemed to throw all the emotions aside and return to it's original merchant theme. I thought this series was getting deeper, but now I'm realizing that they are just playing with us. Definitely gonna need to be another season now, because this series is bound to end in another cliff hanger. I was really hoping that we were going to get to see Horo's origins and find out more about this mysterious bear. Now I'm just on coast till this season is over and hopefully the next one is started.
Sep 11, 2009 11:14 AM

Jul 2008
haha yeah woman^^ great comparison with the wolf and sheep.
got a feeling that something wil go wrong. hope it wont happen though.

Sep 11, 2009 12:42 PM

Mar 2008
Nice episode, though those cliffhanger dealings are kinda nerve wracking since so little happens each episode. But there was certainly quite a bit of buildup. It felt rather intense.

I also have the feeling that the flirting between Horo and Lawrence isn't as enjoyable as in the past. It's pretty blatant and Lawrence is totally outplayed by her and accepts pretty much everything she says. In the past he was always retaliating on a similar level. Damn, she got him good. That said obviously she has fallen for him, too, which makes up for that quite a bit.

But that barmaid is awesome. That kind of sly personality is pretty entertaining. Too bad she has so little screen time. The wolf/sheep analogy was great.
Sep 12, 2009 1:06 AM

Jul 2008
This is starting to seem pretty repetitive.

Lawrence gets an offer for a risky deal from an ominous character, thinks about it for a while and eventually accepts just to have it botch, forcing him to find a way out of the situation.

Basically, that just happens over and over again. I don't know about anybody else, but it is starting to get a little stale.
Sep 12, 2009 5:06 AM

Nov 2007
Hmm Abe's hand was shaking so does this mean there is more to the deal than first appears =O? The title of the next episode doesn't sound like this deal will be 100% fool-proof though but I'm sure in the finale Lawrence will pull through =]
Sep 12, 2009 8:19 AM

Aug 2009
Crimsonwill said:
Hmm Abe's hand was shaking so does this mean there is more to the deal than first appears =O? The title of the next episode doesn't sound like this deal will be 100% fool-proof though but I'm sure in the finale Lawrence will pull through =]

She's definitely worried about it. There are two more episodes left, so I'm thinking something does fall through and Lawrence somehow escapes it.
Sep 12, 2009 9:57 AM
May 2008
Quite an interesting arc and of course this plan won't go as expected... Also, is it just me or does anyone else feel like this season should have been longer? It seems like it just started and here we are with two episodes left.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Sep 12, 2009 9:58 AM

Jan 2009
NeloDeath said:
Also, is it just me or does anyone else feel like this season should have been longer? It seems like it just started and here we are with two episodes left.

Yeah, this season went alot faster than expected : o
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 12, 2009 10:46 AM
Aug 2009
Oosran said:
NeloDeath said:
Also, is it just me or does anyone else feel like this season should have been longer? It seems like it just started and here we are with two episodes left.

Yeah, this season went alot faster than expected : o

Yeah, this second story arc this season really is meandering along, isn't it? It started off cute and all, but I hope they kick it into a higher gear and extend it into the next season, because just watching the slow-motion trainwreck that is their relationship is getting painful now. To me, the story needs to move on in some direction, romantic or otherwise, or it risks becoming banal. I keep expecting a convenient excuse to jump out of nowhere and give them yet another reason to avoid confronting each other.
Sep 12, 2009 11:03 AM

Apr 2009
Good episode I thought. Minor quirks with the pace of the episode but I can't believe that we are at the end of the season almost. I am thinking that this deal is going to turn bad (it is kind of obvious with Ade's shaking hand) and that we will be left with Lawrence alone.

If done rightly with a cliffhanger I will be really anxious for another season! I just don't see how this can be resolved in two more episodes. Not that it can't, but we will see how it plays out.
Sep 12, 2009 1:47 PM

Sep 2008
Meh, decent episode. I'm just looking forward to the next one. I want to see what happens next! I don't see how they could resolve this in 2 episodes o__o;;
Also, I stand corrected. It isn't really the same thing all over again. I shouldn't have doubted it x3
Sep 12, 2009 6:16 PM
Jul 2008
This was a really good episode, and I think the next one with be even better.
Sep 13, 2009 12:46 AM

May 2008
I'm gonna buy Horo.
Sep 13, 2009 8:18 AM

May 2007
I knew everyone would blame Lawrence, after all he was going to say no till Horo told him not to, and that she had faith in him, obviously this is Lawrence's fault
My anime list
Sep 13, 2009 9:54 AM
Aug 2009
mitamaking said:
I knew everyone would blame Lawrence, after all he was going to say no till Horo told him not to, and that she had faith in him, obviously this is Lawrence's fault

Yeah.. I still don't see how anyone can blame Lawrence for this. By the end of the episode, he's basically let slip that:
- he now trusts her implicitly (she's the "driver at his reigns", he'll even go against his better judgment if she honestly wants him to).
- he's willing to walk into a possible trap with her, he'll do everything in his power to prevent it, but won't relent even if things go sour (their talk on the bridge)
- he's not "changed", he's just comfortable enough around her now to show the real Lawrence (their whole last speech). he is closer to her now, isn't trying to "bait her" into anything, nor is he chaining her to him or merely using her for financial gain ("i should be charging you a boarding fee").

I think Horo finally starts to "get it" by the end of the episode, and that's why her attitude seemed to melt a little nearer the end. It will be interesting to see just how wrong I am :)
Sep 14, 2009 12:24 PM

Feb 2008
Very nice episode from the story/atmosphere point of view. But still lacking in case of animation quality. *sigh*

At first I thought Horo went out of character, since she was insisting on carrying out the risky deal, although a few episodes ago she wanted Lawrence to avoid any danger.
But giving this some more thoughts (and reading some other comments about it), I guess I do understand her now. To cut a long story short:

By playing Lawrences "cargo" of her own free will, she shows him that she is not just his cargo (...ok, that sounds even confusing to myself). *cough*
Let me try to explain it differently:

Horo found out that her attempt on getting closer to Lawrence "Sheep" Kraft doesnt work any longer. All the flirting and provoking seems to bounce off of him and rather recoils at her lately. So she must find another way to gain his trust and affection. So she wants to become a trustworthy companion and partner for him, by telling him:
"I want to take my part in your business. So please stay as you were: a calculating business man with a strong will to make profit. Dont be too considerate and carefull with me and trust me like I trust you."

I hope my point of view comes across....
Sep 14, 2009 1:00 PM
Aug 2009
It's sad yet funny, isn't it? The more affectionate and trusting Lawrence gets, the more she thinks she's losing his trust and affection. They are both missing each others cues - she wants them to be more intimate but her pride and loneliness makes it too hard to just say it, so she ends up acting inconsistent and confusing the hell out of him. He wants her to make up her mind about their relationship, but is too worried about hurting or losing her, so he's avoiding being overly intimate with her.

This sort of thing is too gut-wrenching to watch when you've been through that kind of hell yourself ;)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vinesage - Sep 23, 2009

445 by patkarunungan »»
Yesterday, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

vinesage - Sep 2, 2009

210 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 3:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

vinesage - Aug 26, 2009

134 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 24, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

vinesage - Aug 19, 2009

189 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 24, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dbaranyi - Aug 12, 2009

291 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 24, 3:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.