Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else want a change in today's anime?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 3, 2014 5:13 PM
Jan 2014
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Ckan said:
Dalis said:
Joke's on you, it's already changing to my taste! Just look at the upcoming seasons. Face it people, we're entering a new age of robot, and it will be glorious.
Now you've jinxed it.
I'm not even sure what he's referring to. Mecha has been one of the most pivotal, widely acclaimed genres for decades.

The genre's never been as prominent as the glory days of the late 70s/early 80s. Not saying it didn't exist, but it was no where near as numerous. Counting this past season, we've got at least nine mecha series coming this year. That's just over half the amount of 2010-2013 (~sixteen). And there still could be more announced for Summer and Fall. At the very least, the amount is on an upward trend.
Apr 3, 2014 5:18 PM

Jun 2012
I love moe/romcom and ecchi anime but I would like to see more thriller anime as well because they thrill me.
Apr 3, 2014 5:22 PM
Nov 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Why are people talking about old and new anime? The OP was talking about certain anime genres being more predominant than others not comparing new anime to old anime.

My bad, but OP is wrong anyway. I think he should search more.
Apr 3, 2014 5:49 PM

Aug 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Why are people talking about old and new anime? The OP was talking about certain anime genres being more predominant than others not comparing new anime to old anime.

Not really there are a lot more sol, romcoms than military anime.
Apr 3, 2014 6:04 PM
Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

if we're talking about military specifically, knock yourself out.
Apr 3, 2014 6:07 PM

Jun 2013
I'd love a creative change in today's anime, too much pandering going on.
Apr 3, 2014 6:09 PM

Jan 2013
Yes I definitely want a change. Less fan service and cuteness and such.
Apr 3, 2014 6:12 PM

Jun 2013
insanity- said:
Yes I definitely want a change. Less fan service and cuteness and such.

This, it's really annoying.

Nov 2010
No, I'm fine.

Aug 2013
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Thanks but I already checked MAL and Animeplanet for military anime in the past before. I noticed that many were mecha which I don't like but I have gotten some with no mecha. I'm actually currently watching Pumpkin Scissors which is a military anime.
Apr 3, 2014 6:21 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Thanks but I already checked MAL and Animeplanet for military anime in the past before. I noticed that many were mecha which I don't like but I have gotten some with no mecha. I'm actually currently watching Pumpkin Scissors which is a military anime.

The more unique anime of today are often overlooked. There is an over abundance of moe shit but I found some new anime with really unique art lately.
Apr 3, 2014 6:23 PM
Mar 2011
this is linked to old vs new more than the op knows
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 3, 2014 6:25 PM

Aug 2013
BlackSabotage said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

The more unique anime of today are often overlooked. There is an over abundance of moe shit but I found some new anime with really unique art lately.
I can see that considering going by your list you just finished Kuuchuu Buranko which has one of the most unique artstyles and a great psychological anime but is usually overlooked.
Apr 3, 2014 6:37 PM
Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
BlackSabotage said:
I can see that considering going by your list you just finished Kuuchuu Buranko which has one of the most unique artstyles and a great psychological anime but is usually overlooked.
good news: you'd like SHAFT productions.
Apr 3, 2014 6:37 PM

Sep 2012
Yea, SHAFT knows all about unique. Just check out Nisekoi. Epitome of unique and interesting.
Apr 3, 2014 6:40 PM
Nov 2008
Red_Keys said:
Yea, SHAFT knows all about unique. Just check out Nisekoi. Epitome of unique and interesting.
dat wuz da jaok
Apr 3, 2014 6:41 PM

Aug 2013
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
BlackSabotage said:
good news: you'd like SHAFT productions.
The artstyles used for the different Monogatari series looks really good but I'm not really interested in the story and characters. I might still watch it in the future though.
Apr 3, 2014 6:46 PM
Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
LOL you messed up the quotes. The artstyles used for the different Monogatari series looks good but I'm not really interested in the story and characters. I might still watch it in the future though.
i tried to fix it but meh.

the joke was that he said there was an over-abundance of 'moe shit,' yet the anime he's obsessing over lately are pretty much trying to emulate moe productions (shaft predominately) visually. so they're 'unique.'
Apr 3, 2014 6:50 PM

Nov 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
BlackSabotage said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

It may have gone a little overboard but I certainly can't think of anything else like it. Its like what an adult swim cartoon would be like if it had a deep plot.
Apr 3, 2014 7:04 PM

Aug 2013
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
LOL you messed up the quotes. The artstyles used for the different Monogatari series looks good but I'm not really interested in the story and characters. I might still watch it in the future though.

the joke was that he said there was an over-abundance of 'moe shit,' yet the anime he's obsessing over lately are pretty much trying to emulate moe productions (shaft predominately) visually. so they're 'unique.'
I didn't get it :( but I disagree with Kuuchuu Buranko trying to emulate moe productions visually. Kuuchuu Buranko looks completely different from the anime created by Shaft you are talking about.

@BlackSabotage Yeah it's a really unique anime.
DrGeroCreationApr 3, 2014 7:07 PM
Apr 3, 2014 7:06 PM
Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I didn't get it :( but I disagree with Kuuchuu Buranko trying to emulate moe productions visually.
of course you would.
Apr 3, 2014 7:09 PM

Aug 2013
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I didn't get it :( but I disagree with Kuuchuu Buranko trying to emulate moe productions visually.
of course you would.
Which Shaft moe anime production looks like this http://youtu.be/4LWpeqFGO74 ?
DrGeroCreationApr 3, 2014 7:13 PM
Apr 3, 2014 7:12 PM

Sep 2012
Red_Keys said:
But who cares when it's SHAFT.

/foreverSHAFTfanboy
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 3, 2014 7:13 PM
Nov 2008
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:

of course you would.
Which Shaft moe anime production looks like this http://youtu.be/4LWpeqFGO74
pretty much all of them
Apr 3, 2014 7:15 PM

Aug 2013
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:

of course you would.
Which Shaft moe anime production looks like this http://youtu.be/4LWpeqFGO74
pretty much all of them
Nope that's more like Tatami Galaxy's artstyle not Kuuchuu Buranko.
Apr 3, 2014 7:56 PM

Jul 2013
Red_Keys said:
Of course it's unique. The characters in their shows tilt their heads more often than other company's.
Apr 3, 2014 8:21 PM

Apr 2010
No, I don't want anime to change. I find tons of anime I like within the parameters of complaint and tons of animes I like outside of. If the industry changes, it'll be because the main collection of individuals pouring money into it change what they want.
Apr 3, 2014 9:32 PM

Apr 2012
Heredity said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Rashkolnikov said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Military - 5 Pages with lots of them being mecha which I dont count as pure military.
Romance - 11 Pages
SoL - 7 Pages altough only since Haruhi the genre has really risen to popularity that much.

Other genres that where mentioned and are interesting to the discussion:
Cyberpunk - 1 Page
Steampunk - 1 Page only 6!!! Titles
Post apocalyptic - 3 Pages
Psychological - 3 Pages
Medieval - 1 Page
Martial Arts - 3 Pages
Horror - 3 Pages
Historical - 2 Pages

Sure Comedy, Action and other big genre tags have like 20 something pages, but thoose are so general and not distinctive that as soon as someone throws a bottle at someone else its already action. Fact is some genres are pretty underrepresentended, now if its ok or not is another question.
I think that the content adapts to the market and what sells, so if anything blame the japanese otakus.
Apr 3, 2014 9:37 PM

Nov 2013
Watch the new Mushishi tomorrow please.
Apr 3, 2014 9:45 PM
Nov 2008
baki502 said:
SoL - 7 Pages altough only since Haruhi the genre has really risen to popularity that much.
tmohs is about as 'slice of life' as fma.
Apr 4, 2014 12:07 AM

Apr 2012
Heredity said:
baki502 said:
tmohs is about as 'slice of life' as fma.

I watched the first 2 seasons so I know. Its supernatural/sci-fi story behind it is superficial, in the end its just daily High school life with "uniqe" characters. Actually only the characters backgrounds are uniqe they just act like your other average anime characters.
Its what annoys me the most, wasted potential, cause the idea behind it is ingenious, and I kept watching it for 2 whole seasons hoping something other than your average High school day would happen and some sort of story would occur. In the end hardly anything out of the ordinary happened.

Edit: Please dont mention Endless Eight as an argument, Im trying my best to forget about that atrocity.
baki502Apr 4, 2014 12:12 AM
Apr 4, 2014 12:15 AM

Nov 2013
In a nutshell:

For some of them in my eyes to actually not suck.

Apr 4, 2014 12:25 AM
Jan 2014
Sure i want a change but it's a business, it will keep on releasing moe/harem/ecchi stuff as long as there's a big market for it. Not like I don't like any recent anime but they are getting more rare. I only watch 2-4 per season but perhaps only 1 would really satisfy me enough to finish it. I personally would like to see more josei or seinen/crime more
Apr 4, 2014 3:13 AM
Nov 2008
baki502 said:
In the end hardly anything out of the ordinary happened.
yeah, nothing out of the ordinary except:

- a god that changes things without realising it.
- a time traveler who has her future self occasionally pop in.
- an esper who fights supernatural giants.
- an alien ai being from a secret organisation who fights others similar to her.
- trips into a computer to defeat a giant grasshopper screwing with your web page.
- a movie shoot where the actor really turns into the super hero she's supposed to be.
- a talking cat.
- repeating the same school break millions of times (i'm mentioning it anyway 'cos i'm a rebel).
- going back in time to meet your friend as a child.
- ending up in an alternate false reality that needs to be fixed.

so, yeah. haruhi is totally a slice of life series- like, except for all the stuff that makes it not one. lol. it's not a slice of life series that coincidentally takes place in an out-of-the-ordinary setting (think polar bear cafe), the whole 'haruhi is a god and everything's happening here for a reason' is actually the plot and the supernatural shit that goes on around her is what drives the plot forward. you can't just pretend it doesn't exist, that's silly.
no-thanksApr 4, 2014 3:16 AM
Apr 4, 2014 3:25 AM

Apr 2012
Heredity said:
baki502 said:

- an alien ai being from a secret organisation who fights others similar to her.
- trips into a computer to defeat a giant grasshopper screwing with your web page.
- a movie shoot where the actor really turns into the super hero she's supposed to be.
- a talking cat.
- repeating the same school break millions of times (i'm mentioning it anyway 'cos i'm a rebel).

so, yeah. haruhi is totally a slice of life series- like, except for all the stuff that makes it not one. lol. it's not a slice of life series that coincidentally takes place in an out-of-the-ordinary setting (think polar bear cafe), the whole 'haruhi is a god and everything's happening here for a reason' is actually the plot and the supernatural shit that goes on around her is what drives the plot forward. you can't just pretend it doesn't exist, that's silly.

Except that nothing of it is excitingly out of the ordinary. If I remember correctly there was only a single! episode (episode 4 I think) where that esper guy took the main char into some otherworldy realm or whatever it was with the whole giants and things and explained some shit. (Its been a while). After that we have never seen that world ever again, and it just became daily life with small unordinary stuff. We see the esper fighting giants once, the ai being never really engages into fights with others, Haruhi's occasional changes to the world are minor/not exciting, and Kon is simply worthless. Dont try to sell Haruhi as a Supernatural/Mystery series cause its not. Slice of (slightly unordinary) life describes it still the best.
Apr 4, 2014 3:35 AM
Nov 2008
baki502 said:
Except that nothing of it is excitingly out of the ordinary. If I remember correctly there was only a single! episode (episode 4 I think) where that esper guy took the main char into some otherworldy realm or whatever it was with the whole giants and things and explained some shit. (Its been a while). After that we have never seen that world ever again, and [n]it just became daily life with small unordinary stuff. We see the esper fighting giants once, the ai being never really engages into fights with others, Haruhi's occasional changes to the world are minor/not exciting, and Kon is simply worthless. Dont try to sell Haruhi as a Supernatural/Mystery series cause its not. Slice of (slightly unordinary) life describes it still the best.
oh, oh. i see. it's just not up to your expectations of what should be exciting in a supernatural series and thus it must therefore be a slice of life anime.

the story is a first person narrative from the perspective of kyon. the point is that he inadvertently runs into supernatural occurrences when he'd rather be living a normal life (the fact that he considers his life to not be 'normal' is important). when his life does become considerably normal in the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya, he purposely makes it not normal again.

haruhi isn't 'let's sit around and do normal stuff, oh by the way we're all not human' it's 'i want to sit around and do normal stuff, but now i have to go to a cyber world to destroy a giant digital grasshopper that used to be the president of the computer club and tomorrow we're filming a video but the god i know has somehow transformed my friend into a being that can shoot deadly lasers so i hope i don't die.'
Apr 4, 2014 3:36 AM

Dec 2011
>"Haruhi Suzumiya" as a slice of life
> Are you kidding me
> Pls GTFO back to plebville

Not even an attempt to achieve verisimilitude, so many supernatural occurrences and you still call this a Slice of Life? One thing is for sure, IF this is a slice of life anime, it sure didn't feel like it for me.

"Slice of (slightly unordinary) life", does that mean Naruto is also a slice of life? A slice of ninja life? Does that mean Shit Art Online is a slice of life? A slice of a retarded-mmorpg-gamer-who-gets-stuck-inside-a-game-and-starts-acting-like-a-retard life?
Apr 4, 2014 3:41 AM

Apr 2010
baki502 said:
Heredity said:
baki502 said:

- a talking cat.

Except that nothing of it is excitingly out of the ordinary. If I remember correctly there was only a single! episode (episode 4 I think) where that esper guy took the main char into some otherworldy realm or whatever it was with the whole giants and things and explained some shit. (Its been a while). After that we have never seen that world ever again, and it just became daily life with small unordinary stuff. We see the esper fighting giants once, the ai being never really engages into fights with others, Haruhi's occasional changes to the world are minor/not exciting, and Kon is simply worthless. Dont try to sell Haruhi as a Supernatural/Mystery series cause its not. Slice of (slightly unordinary) life describes it still the best.

I own the series and the only times something non-supernatural occur are when they're setting up the story and characters. So, maybe three or four episodes?

But, you're opinions on it not being "exciting" doesn't change that it's not a Slice of Life.
Apr 4, 2014 3:44 AM

Mar 2009
Haruhi is not slice of life but has "SoL antics".
Didn't change the fact that it sucked ho ho ho.
Apr 4, 2014 3:47 AM

Mar 2008
Vudis said:
Say that again, laughing one, and I'll internet sock you.

Haruhi-ism is the essence of moe modern anime.
Apr 4, 2014 3:48 AM

Apr 2014
Vudis said:

True
Apr 4, 2014 3:51 AM
Nov 2008
Ckan said:
Vudis said:
Say that again, laughing one, and I'll internet sock you.

Haruhi-ism is the essence of moe modern anime.
oh boy, i'd actually forgotten about haruhi-ism. that was a painful time to live through, back when anime was rising as a major fad (i don't think anime is anywhere near as popular in the west as it was 2007-2010).
Apr 4, 2014 4:01 AM

Mar 2008
Heredity said:
oh boy, i'd actually forgotten about haruhi-ism. that was a painful time to live through, back when anime was rising as a major fad (i don't think anime is anywhere near as popular in the west as it was 2007-2010).
Who here owns an SOS armband and can do the Hare Hare?

Anyone who fesses up gets bonus internet credit for being ballsy.
Apr 4, 2014 4:03 AM

Sep 2013
Ckan said:
Heredity said:

Shut up grandpa
Apr 4, 2014 4:07 AM

Apr 2010
Ckan said:

*cough cough*
Apr 4, 2014 4:10 AM
Nov 2008
Ckan said:
Heredity said:

i used to, got one after buying all 4 dvd volumes and mailing in the codes contained within each one to receive a collector's box, a 5th dvd with the episodes super compressed and in broadcast order, and a fucking plastic SOS brigade armband.

i feel dirty and have since sold the collection and armband.
Apr 4, 2014 4:12 AM

Sep 2011
too bad cutsy characters and fanservice have existed since the beggining of anime and its just what people found cute then has changed and not the pandering.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 4, 2014 5:50 AM

Apr 2012
While I suppose it would be nice to see a few more realistic military anime in addition to what's already out there as well as a few more mind-screwy type shows, that's just how things are.

Whenever I talk to the older folks I know about anime, they can't seem to talk about anything other than "giant robot" shows and some of the crazy OVA's that were apparently commonplace back in the old days (like this one here). Now these are the same people who seem to complain about how mecha is supposedly a dying genre nowadays (which it isn't), so it just goes to show how things changed from basically what you're wanting to see more of to what you're seeing now.

Give it another 20 to 30 few years and I'm sure anime will start to shift to other things and genres. Perhaps you'll dislike this newer focus even more than whatever the current focus supposedly is, but at least it'll be different. I'm sure by that time, I'll probably be one of the noisy farts running around MAL complaining about there being too many manly men doing manly things type anime and you'll be enjoying the sweet taste of my incessant tears.
TheNaturalPerm said:
not even the characters in those tpye of shows are good. once again. it's just pandering to the otaku fanbase and anybody could write these kind of stories...
Now I'm not usually one to quote other people when responding to silly offhand comments like the one highlighted here especially when the person I'm responding to is a dime-a-dozen "modern anime suckz" type of fan, but I think Blickwinkel did a good job of overviewing the foolishness of such a statement in their review of Gj-Bu a while ago:

[...] "Some people think that “shows about absolutely nothing” are very easy to make. After all, you just model four high school girls from the average character you find on TVTropes, throw them into a classroom/clubroom, and that’s it. Or is it? Being a person who has watched over a hundred slice of life series. I assure you that it’s actually harder to make a good anime about absolutely nothing, let alone brilliant. I think this is pretty much common sense for most gaijin. Most shows about four girls in a room doing nothing except talk are incredibly boring to watch. How many people didn't sleep through Acchi Kocchi? The list just goes on.

However, when you make a show that’s supposed to be about absolutely nothing, you literally can’t add in plot devices that make the show more exciting. So if you can’t make it more exciting, how can you stop it from being boring? Yeah…this is not easy, yet GJ-Bu accomplishes this task brilliantly. As for how it does so, I will attempt to approach it from a systematic fashion with a little bit of high school maths." [...]

And as far as being easy to write is concerned, the same can be said for pretty much any type of story, really. All you need is some kind of exposition, conflict, climax, and resolution (though some shows apparently feel fine satisfying only 2 or 3 of these items), regardless of how high on the bullshit scale it may end up being. I'm pretty sure anyone could come up with some half-baked story about as quickly as they could come up with a setting/gimmick and a bunch of personalities to fill it (i.e. the typical show people like to talk down to). The idea isn't simply writing them; it's writing them well.

A good plot-driven show with amazing twists and a good pace and believable characters that resolves itself with a nice little bow is indeed difficult to write. Just as difficult, I'd argue, as writing a show where nothing happens and still managing to interest the viewer and actually entice them to want to go out, buy it, and then watch it again. Because as much as moe-haters try to argue this point home, the fact that the cast is a bunch of cute girls doesn't automatically make a show entertaining/tolerable to watch (though it's always, always a plus). And while there may be a bunch of shows that try and work off of the premise of "cute girls doing cute things", there are certainly many (or dare I say, the majority) that fall flat on their adorable faces while others stand out as the best of the best within their particular fandom.
TheNaturalPerm said:
don't get me wrong. It's perfectly fine with me to have 2-3 moe shows a season. but not...15.
15?!

If ever such a magnificent season were to come to fruition, that would indeed be the day where anime has been saved. Unfortunately, however, I'm skeptical as to whether such a blessing would ever be the reality. In fact, haven't each of the past few seasons only had 2-3 actual CGDCT shows?
AndyRayyApr 4, 2014 5:56 AM

Apr 4, 2014 6:02 AM

Apr 2012
Heredity said:
oh, oh. i see. it's just not up to your expectations of what should be exciting in a supernatural series and thus it must therefore be a slice of life anime.

The expectations the show set up for itself. It was about episode 4-6 that set my expectations pretty high. I thought it would all end up in a big grand plot and it would go further from there, maybe with something going wrong and the earth going trough massive changes because of her, generally I was expecting something on a bigger scale to happen, but it never did. It just ended up to be a boring "mistery" of the day kind of anime, and all the backstory to it just felt like it didnt have a purpose, like they thought up the most interesting basis and then just stopped there and said lets just make some silly antics out of this potential grand story.

You know youre right, its not really an SoL. But compared to the grand thing it could have been, it just feels to me like nothing really happens. And on a grander scale really nothing does, every occurence is on a pretty small scale. I mean your example alone proves my point, youve got a god, that could potentially destroy the whole fucking world, and what do you use that plot device for? For creating a giant grasshoper in a digital world which then you let the characters fight? Really? I hate it when animes tease you grand things and then nothing really happens, similar with the recent Nagi no Asukara. Also a really rich world with a strong basis for a really interesting story, but all it ended up being was a teenage rom-com drama.

Enough ranting, this is about the presence of certain genres after all, not Haruhi.
Apr 4, 2014 8:58 AM

Nov 2013
I don't need change. I'm enjoying watching anime as they are.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

99 by vasipi4946 »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

100 by LostSpectre »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

15 by Hikinekomori »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list? ( 1 2 )

PushedCaraway - Apr 25

52 by Angel_crush1 »»
8 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Today

36 by rohan121 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.