Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 4:37 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode begins one of my other favorite parts of the "Nautilus" arc--the Antarctica adventure. It features an obvious nod to the famous Jules Verne story in the form of a squid battle. The face-off between the creature is thrillingly paced and culminates with a hang on to the edge of your seat encounter with an undersea volcano.
JTurnerJan 17, 2008 5:15 PM
Dec 16, 2009 9:47 PM

Feb 2009
I thought it was one of the weakest epiodes thus far, still a good episode, I just didn't find the whole giant squid fight too exciting.
Mar 30, 2018 6:22 AM

Nov 2011
Really exciting this episode, for what concerns the action, other than clash with the neo-Atlanteans, that of today, the man against nature is much more compelling. Seeing the secret base of the Nautilus, I have a reminiscence of how much I looked at the fantastic worlds in the anime series "Made in Abyss". The narration was very amusing, despite the fact that for a long time the conflict between man and nature was narrated. Anime series more and more interesting.
May 22, 2018 10:59 AM

May 2012
That was quite intense, really liked it and clever tactics! That underwater volcano actually helped them out to win against a creature where they carry the name for as the ship! Pretty interesting and quite great!

Let's see what's next.
Mar 26, 2019 6:14 PM

Aug 2016
I´m surprised this episode is the least commented. What the heck are they doing in Antartica?
:v
Apr 6, 2019 9:24 PM
Jan 2008
MichaelJackson said:
I´m surprised this episode is the least commented. What the heck are they doing in Antartica?

The reason why they're going to Antarctica is because Captain Nemo's secret base is located there. Given that they recently took damage from Gargoyle's trap that is the only place they can make repairs. (Plus, as you will see in the next episode, it's an excuse for our heroes to meet penguins, and whales, and auroras -- Oh my! Yes, I threw in a WIZARD OF OZ reference. I couldn't help it. :D)
Sep 1, 2019 8:33 AM

Aug 2017
Why do they refer to Garfish as though they didn't see it explode right in front of their eyes several episodes ago? Could've come closer to check it.

P.S. Lol'd at the Star of David indicating the base on the map
Apr 16, 2020 8:10 AM

Jan 2014
Nice episode even if it feels more like a Part I to a two (or more) part arc and it serves as more of a setup for what is to come next.

It is interesting to know at times they send landing parties into more populated areas to gather certain resources and information on the potential movements of the Neo Atlantians whenever a trail runs cold. There appears to be no new headlines about their monstrous deeds however, as the crew commented when Gargoyle is staying silent they are definitely planning something far more sinister!

But, this episode mainly involves traveling to the home base of the Nautilus which is a very nice revelation and it is pretty cool that there base is located underneath the South Pole Antarctica continent! Grandis looked particularly sizzling in this episode (especially the part where she is only in her shirt airing herself šŸ˜ and she says it certainly is hot yes Grandis you certainly are X3)! And Grandis please you would look stylish even in heavy arctic clothing ^-^ LOL but even Nadia agrees it is unstylish XD Grandis sure looks comfortable kicking her feet up on that table and her reactions this episode are adorable as well :3

LMAO but of course Jean is excited to travel to an unforgiving landscape like Antarctica and Nadia really does not like any positive interaction between Jean and Electra always hilarious XD

But, upon getting closer to their base they run into multiple perils the main threat being a giant ancient nautilus shellfish (hence the title Nautilus vs. Nautilus) and damn this thing is quite tenacious as it tightens its hold on the Nautilus with its tentacles tightening around the sub and pushing its beak against the glass and despite electrocuting it, ramming it into the icebergs and running it close to the underwater volcano and it only lets go after a prolonged exposure to the heat crazy stuff!

After narrowly escape the gargantuan creature they proceed through an enormous tunnel and emerge in a huge undersea cavern! Cannot wait to see what their home base is like :D

Sep 24, 2020 11:39 AM
May 2020
That has to be the best giant animal versus human ship scene I have ever seen! The way they built it up as a mystery, the various failed-but-genius tactics they used to get free of it, and the fact that this is the creature the submarine was actually named after made this quite interesting.
Jan 23, 2021 4:49 PM

Feb 2012
Ooo, I was wondering what to expect from the title, the Nautilus fighting another submarine identical to itself? No, the Nautilus fighting its namesake, the sea creature.

The first actual sea monster to appear in the show? And Electra mentions it was supposed to be extinct.

With Nadia being concerned for all life in previous episodes, I expected her to speak up when they tried to electrocute it, but she was busy trying to remain stable the whole time...

Both made it out alive after they went to the volcano.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 14, 2022 11:34 PM

Feb 2021
They didn't even end up showing the base?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.