Anime
92.7%
American Cartoons
7.3%
667 votes
Aug 20, 2009 6:57 PM

Aug 2009
Which one do you prefer?
For me, it's going to be Anime because I basically hate American Cartoons such as Scooby Doo and shits.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 20, 2009 7:01 PM
Jun 2008
I'm sure this topic was done before.

And you called Scooby Doo shit. I hope you're referring to the bullshit they are making now and not the 1960s Scooby Doo, which had some of the best monster a day, mystery a day stories ever animated.

And ugh, weeaboo.
Aug 20, 2009 7:03 PM

Apr 2009
Im going to have to say Anime. Obviously.
And Scooby Doo is not shit. Only the newer stuff is.
Aug 20, 2009 7:04 PM
Mar 2009
Today's anime vs. Today's American Cartoons: Anime wins.

1960's Anime vs. 1960's American Cartoons: American Cartoons wins.

It's just that simple.

Aug 20, 2009 7:05 PM

May 2009
tehnominator said:

And you called Scooby Doo shit. I hope you're referring to the bullshit they are making now and not the 1960s Scooby Doo, which had some of the best monster a day, mystery a day stories ever animated.

And ugh, weeaboo.
I agree with everything except the last part. Scooby Doo was one of the best cartoons around until they started making these new shitty movies and whats new scooby doo shit. I voted for cartoons

Don't recommend me something that is still publishing, unless its close to being finished. Don't recommend me anything that isn't licensed.
Aug 20, 2009 7:09 PM
Jun 2008
YaYERZ said:
tehnominator said:

And ugh, weeaboo.
I agree with everything except the last part. Scooby Doo was one of the best cartoons around until they started making these new shitty movies and whats new scooby doo shit. I voted for cartoons

You don't agree about me calling the weeaboo a weeaboo? And I never said that the new Scooby Doo was any good. Quote self about to happen:

tehnominator said:

Aug 20, 2009 7:20 PM

Feb 2007
Why is there never a middle ground with these polls? I want to vote "Both"!

I miss the original Cartoon Cartoons that aired on Cartoon Network. Powerpuff Girls; Dexter's Laboratory; Johnny Bravo; Courage the Cowardly Dog; Ed, Edd, n Eddy; etc. Can still catch reruns of these shown on CN or Boomerang. One of the more recent CN shows I've shown interest in is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

I remember years ago when they had a 24-hour marathon of Bugs and Daffy cartoons on Cartoon Network. I'd actually be more willing to watch that than an anime marathon. Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo (even the "What's new" stuff) were also fun to watch.

Avatar The Last Airbender aired so much this summer that I was pretty much able to watch the entire series for the first time. I liked it.

Then there are all those cartoons based on DC and Marvel comics. I've watched several of those.

The targeted demographics and motive for creating animated shows is certainly different between Japan and America, but that doesn't mean that both sides don't have their fair share of terrible shows. I've never found myself making comparisons or thinking about which is better.

I'll watch whatever interests me.
AsrialysAug 20, 2009 7:24 PM
Aug 20, 2009 7:23 PM

Mar 2009
mostly anime, not that there aren't exceptions like Avatar, Invader Zim, Reboot, and Fairly Oddparents for me, but the vast majority of today's cartoons <<< anime if you ask me.
Aug 20, 2009 7:24 PM

Dec 2008
Anime.

Since Cartoon Network starting sending itself down the crapper with CN Real i'd have slight disagreement.

Now concerning shows like Looney Tunes, Chowder, and Tom and Jerry being the only few that I enjoy over anime occasionally.
RognaAug 20, 2009 7:30 PM
Aug 20, 2009 7:29 PM

Mar 2009
absolutely anime
Aug 20, 2009 7:30 PM

Jul 2008
While I do watch anime more than American cartoons, I wouldn't know how to decide.
They have some pretty damn awesome cartoons out there!
There are good and bad cartoons, just as there are good and bad anime. Since most American cartoons are aimed at children, and anime at older audiences, I don't know how you can compare the two.

Unless you're comparing children's anime to children's cartoons. In which case, I'd pick cartoons.
Aug 20, 2009 7:50 PM

May 2009
tehnominator said:
YaYERZ said:
tehnominator said:

And ugh, weeaboo.

You don't agree about me calling the weeaboo a weeaboo? And I never said that the new Scooby Doo was any good. Quote self about to happen:

tehnominator said:

I don't agree with the 'ugh' you posted. The rest of my post was agreeing with you about how the newer scooby doo is shit...

Don't recommend me something that is still publishing, unless its close to being finished. Don't recommend me anything that isn't licensed.
Aug 20, 2009 7:55 PM

Jan 2008
Asrialys said:
Why is there never a middle ground with these polls? I want to vote "Both"!

I miss the original Cartoon Cartoons that aired on Cartoon Network. Dexter's Laboratory; Ed, Edd, n Eddy; etc.

Oh hell yes. Those 2 shows, plus the older Tom & Jerry and Scooby Doo are practically my childhood. I still watch them to this day. Well, I would, if you could actually buy Dexter's Laboratory DVD's. Which you can't.
Aug 20, 2009 8:01 PM

Aug 2008
What's the difference? LOL
Seasonreaper said:
Oh hell yes. Those 2 shows, plus the older Tom & Jerry and Scooby Doo are practically my childhood. I still watch them to this day. Well, I would, if you could actually buy Dexter's Laboratory DVD's. Which you can't.

Don't forget Looney Toons. As well as Animaniacs. Ah, they don't make 'em like they used to anymore...
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 20, 2009 8:03 PM

Apr 2008
no moe in american cartoons =/

Aug 20, 2009 8:04 PM

Aug 2008
Good to see so much Scooby Doo love. I like both, but my favorite animated show is Venture Brothers.
Aug 20, 2009 8:06 PM

Aug 2008
Saitoe said:

What? April in Ninja Turtles. She was hot. >:D
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Aug 20, 2009 8:08 PM

Aug 2009
chinlamp said:

It's just that simple.

Im not sure if there was anime during 1960s.. Even if there was there would be no more then 5 or so.. Im sure Japan was still under construction by the after effects of WW2.. ofcourse America would have greater animation than Japan at that time..
[right]

Aug 20, 2009 8:13 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah, this topic isn't going to be biased on an anime forum. . . >.>

I've watched anime for practically as long as I can remember. As a child and youth I watched it along with plenty of the well known American titles, and plenty of European stuff as well; even back in the 70s, anime stood out as having more in-depth stories, and ongoing events unfolding over the course of the series, not episodic silly stuff simply meant to keep kids occupied for a while, that the majority of American stuff tended to be.

I still enjoy American (and European) cartoons, though. I don't watch nearly as many as I used to, since the quality seems to have degraded drastically as a whole, becoming even more pulp entertainment and often made to sell merchandise to the masses (which is why anime such as Pokemon have adapted well in to the American market, I guess).

For raw stupidity and laugher, I think Family Guy, The Simpsons, Futurama, Robot Chicken and similar outdo anime the majority of the time. For more indepth stories, character development and obviously animation and scoring quality, anime generally wins by a mile. Though naturally this depends on the titles you want to select; but since there are dozens of new series every quarter, it's easy to find things that whet whatever suits your tastes at the time.

So on the large, anime, but I don't completely discount American (and European; Aardman is awesome, and Cosgrove Hall are legends, just to name two) productions.
Aug 20, 2009 8:35 PM

Jul 2009
lol gyea it was obvious which would win on an anime fan site ^^;;

american cartoons are still cool though, i grew up watching disney, and the few stuff they put out now is still amazing, granted most of it is computer generated though...
Aug 20, 2009 8:38 PM
Aug 2009
If it's Rugrats, than American cartoons. Otherwise, anime.
Aug 20, 2009 8:39 PM

Aug 2008
Voiced408 said:
If it's Rugrats, than American cartoons. Otherwise, anime.

Nick Jr.

Hmmm... what was that show with those dwarves? They ran around the woods with their cone shaped hats.

Aug 20, 2009 9:30 PM

Sep 2008
Anime cause animation isn't taken very seriously in America, very few mature, non-comedy, animated titles from America exist and they seem to have died out in the 80's and early 90's. It's still veiw as some thing for the family or for children. Kinda annoys the crap out of me. Also 2D animation is pretty much dead for feature length in America.
JigeroAug 20, 2009 9:39 PM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 20, 2009 9:38 PM

Aug 2008
Seasonreaper said:
Well, I would, if you could actually buy Dexter's Laboratory DVD's. Which you can't.

There are a lot of cartoons you can't buy on DVD. It's so sad. ; - ;

Anyways, I can't decide between the two. There are around as many cartoons I like as animes I like.
Aug 20, 2009 9:54 PM
Mar 2009
porkypink said:
chinlamp said:

It's just that simple.

Im not sure if there was anime during 1960s.. Even if there was there would be no more then 5 or so.. Im sure Japan was still under construction by the after effects of WW2.. ofcourse America would have greater animation than Japan at that time..

*facepalm*

The anime industry started in the 1950's...

Aug 20, 2009 10:02 PM

May 2009
Anime is the one for me i do enjoy cartoons but never watch them as much gargoyles was one animation i really enjoyed.
Aug 20, 2009 10:19 PM

Aug 2008
Jigero said:
Anime cause animation isn't taken very seriously in America, very few mature, non-comedy, animated titles from America exist and they seem to have died out in the 80's and early 90's. It's still veiw as some thing for the family or for children. Kinda annoys the crap out of me. Also 2D animation is pretty much dead for feature length in America.

Sadly. That industry policy led to its decline. Ultimately, it ended up doing exactly as they stated. Nowadays, they make animation just for little children. Little effort is made to improve quality, as little children don't care about that stuff. Sadly, these worthless animators still make more money than Japanese counter-parts. That's the real kicker.

Aug 20, 2009 10:27 PM

Jan 2009
Where is the both option? Sure American cartoons have gone down hill. But i still enjoy shows such as Family Guy and The Simpsons.

Anyways since i see a lot of CN love going around i am going to throw in some Nick love. Some of my favorite shows from when i was a kid was on this channel. Rocket Power, Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Doug, and Ren and Stimpy.
Aug 20, 2009 10:32 PM

Aug 2008
burntlettuce said:
Where is the both option?

Just for that - I abstained.

BTW, Robot Chicken COUNTS as animation. It's either clay or toy animation; but it's still animation.

Japan uses a similar techinique. Instead of clay, they use "paper".

Aug 20, 2009 10:59 PM

Mar 2009

Aug 20, 2009 11:34 PM

Jun 2009
Tough choice.... because i can watch the marvel and dc cartoons online anime has it's work cut out for it... but then i realize i'm 15....... anime by default -_-
Aug 20, 2009 11:46 PM

Sep 2008
KyuuA4 said:
burntlettuce said:
Where is the both option?

Just for that - I abstained.

BTW, Robot Chicken COUNTS as animation. It's either clay or toy animation; but it's still animation.

Japan uses a similar techinique. Instead of clay, they use "paper".

The term is Stop-Motion Animation
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Aug 20, 2009 11:55 PM

Apr 2008
Hands down anime beats today's cartoons, I can't say the same thing for old school cartoons Vs old school anime.
Aug 21, 2009 2:12 AM

Jan 2008
IMO Shrek is better than most of the anime parodies out there and not because I don't get the references in animes. I'm not sure if it counts though.
Aug 21, 2009 2:51 AM

Apr 2009
sure is anime, I dont like American cartoons
Aug 21, 2009 2:58 AM

Mar 2009
I prefer Anime, however American Cartoons has it own merits like Looney Tunes, The Simpsons, Futurama and Family Guy (cant think of any more American Cartoon, dont really watch TV much) lol
Aug 21, 2009 3:06 AM

Jun 2008
Anime

1.Because most anime's have a plot...a story to follow..while most american cartoons are episodic and have no plot/story.. I enjoy a good story..not just a bunch of episodes of characters doing random shit to entertain you.

and

2.Because I like the more realistic feel you get from anime compared to cartoons

but thats not saying I don't enjoy any american cartoons
kinoholicAug 21, 2009 3:22 AM
Aug 21, 2009 3:15 AM

Nov 2007
Anime. I was never really a fan of American cartoons, even when I was younger.
Aug 21, 2009 3:25 AM

Dec 2007
This is an anime forum, the answers won't be very original.

I prefer anime forever. Because I hate that tart-in-the-face humour.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Aug 21, 2009 3:33 AM

May 2009
Ghost In the Shell, NANA, Code Geass, Death Note, Otogizoushi, Shigurui, Sword of the Stranger, NGEvangelion, Rahxephon, etc...any American counterpart equivalent to the quality and depth of these animes? These kinds of shows fascinate me and American cartoons just don't have that.

Sure, they have Scooby-Doo and Johnny Bravo, Loony Tunes, The Simpsons and I watch those but these shows have counterparts in anime.

They also seriously lack boobage...bwahaha - boing, boing
Aug 21, 2009 3:36 AM

Mar 2009
I prefer the Anime it's way much better than the American cartoon in so many ways ..

Aug 21, 2009 3:37 AM

Jan 2009
Anime
I'm not going to say I didn't like American cartoon's
I remember watching ed edd and eddy when I was a kid I love that show
Aug 21, 2009 3:59 AM

Apr 2007
American animation. Anyone who didn't live through the U.S. Saturday morning phenomenon of the 70s and 80s will likely be puzzled why such brazenly cheap, disposable, thinly-veiled-commercial, pop trash animation would be considered special to many of us --- but it was.

On a show-by-show basis, who knows. Bleach and Bullwinkle were on at the same time a few weeks ago. After a deep one second of thought, I switched the channel to moose and squirrel without hesitation
Aug 21, 2009 4:13 AM

Jul 2009
What did you expect from a site called "My Anime List", for most people to chose cartoons?
Well whatever....
For me it would have to be anime(like everyone else on here...). It's not that I don't like cartoons it's just that most cartoons fit into two categories: children toons or comedy toons. Very few are for adults(or young adults, teens, w/e) and are not comedy. I do like to watch cartoons(both kind actually ^_^;) but in general I watch more anime because it's not just a bunch of stupid comedy with a bunch of idiotic battles every other scene(Well some are like that but they are the ones on TV and I don't watch TV anime much anymore).

Close the world,
.txƎᴎ ɘht ᴎɘpO
Aug 21, 2009 4:26 AM

Apr 2009
A large amount of American cartoons are excellent, however, there's more, better anime.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Aug 21, 2009 4:39 AM

Feb 2008
I grew up with Steambot Willie, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo and the likes. After a while, I find them kinda repetitive and switched to locally dubbed anime. No prizes for guessing my choice.

Of course, every now and then, I do watch some old American cartoons just for that nostalgia feeling.
Aug 21, 2009 4:54 AM

Jun 2008
Saitoe said:
I think Starfire is plenty moe.

Oh and anime > american cartoons but I still love american cartoons.
Aug 21, 2009 5:03 AM

Jun 2008
chinlamp said:

It's just that simple.
Word!!! The Japanese animation style was just coming into it's own while the US already had 10-40 years of Disney, Warner-Brother, Hanna-Barbara, etc. The 80s saw the downward trend of American animation to most of the dreg that's now shown on CN or Saturday morning cartoons.

There are still some excellent US animation movies coming out of Pixar, Disney and few independents. But as a whole, today's US animation can't hold a candle to the past or anime.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Aug 21, 2009 6:39 AM
Sep 2007
Anime.

With all due respect to my childhood days, and many non-anime cartoons, I really can't watch them anymore, unless they're something special, or Futurama/ Simpsons/ Family Guy/ South Park.

I can't say that all animes are great, but even average ones are, IMO, better than "normal" cartoon.

With an exception for Wall-E, I can't remember some impressive American cartoon in past few years...
Aug 21, 2009 8:00 AM

Feb 2005
Anime, easily. As many have said before, there are more mature and deep anime than what I've seen in American cartoons.
America often manage humour nicely with Family guy, Simpsons and South Park, even despite the occasional retarded toilet jokes (Now if we only had some more British comedy animation...), but I prefer story driven serious series over comedy any day.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Precure unpopular?

GinIonSui - Today

15 by Daviljoe193 »»
6 minutes ago

» Would you still watch a sequel where the cup size of the waifus are reduced?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

7 by Toooooooooohru »»
8 minutes ago

» Did you guys know that the first animated X rated movies were an anime? Animerama movies

Phantomnocomics - 35 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
20 minutes ago

» What is the trashiest anime genre?

basrekichka - Today

49 by JNNKO »»
23 minutes ago

» How many years has it been since you started anime? ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Yesterday

61 by StyxParadise »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.