Forum Settings
Forums

Why is there so much hate for longer anime series?

New
Feb 21, 2014 4:46 AM

Nov 2011
I know some long running anime drag on and are packed with filler but I hate this idea that 12 episode anime are superior. I'd honestly have a hard time believing a 12 episode anime would be able to offer enough to compete with the likes of LOTGH or Monster. Heck I don't believe I've given an anime series that short a score higher than 8. Dunno though too lazy to look. Oh well I find most of what's popular here to be on the overrated side :P

Excuse me for being stupid Ive been up all night and my brain is not functioning properly.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 21, 2014 4:49 AM

Sep 2013
Depends really.
I find some 13-26 episode Anime that aren't popular here and are considered "old" by Otakus to be great.
And I find long Animes to be a chore to watch now.
Feb 21, 2014 4:50 AM

Aug 2012
Because people don't have the patience to see the plot develop. The best anime I have ever watched are long (One Piece, Monster, Magi as it has two seasons, Kaiji two seasons, Dragon Ball Kai, FMA:B, Great Teacher Onizuka)

And the worst ones were small anime (Golden Boy, Mars of Destruction, Samurai Champloo, Angel Beats)
Feb 21, 2014 4:50 AM

Mar 2008
There is no 'hate'.

Why would you misattribute people's complaints of 'boring filler', 'too long, won't watch', 'it never ends', and etc. as 'hate', it give off a totally wrong impression, and is conjuring up new 'hate groups' out of nowhere.
Feb 21, 2014 4:51 AM
Nov 2008
Some of my favorite anime have only had 6-8 episodes, with a 3min run-time per episode.

As for 'hating' long running anime? Well, people aren't too fond of them because they're long and aren't too inviting for people who are looking to get into them.
Feb 21, 2014 4:53 AM

Aug 2012
Heredity said:
Some of my favorite anime have only had 6-8 episodes, with a 3min run-time per episode.
You gotta be talking about this
Feb 21, 2014 4:53 AM

Sep 2013
lupadim said:
Heredity said:

Inferno Cop for those who don't know.
Feb 21, 2014 4:56 AM
Nov 2008
lupadim said:
Heredity said:
Inferno Cop was awesome.

I can't remember every anime I've seen that only has run-times that short (I've seen many), but I'm currently watching the second season of Wooser. I love it, and the ending theme is great.
no-thanksFeb 21, 2014 4:59 AM
Feb 21, 2014 5:02 AM

Feb 2014
lupadim said:
Heredity said:

I definetly love trigger
Feb 21, 2014 5:02 AM

Jan 2014
I liked the Plastic Nee-san shorts too.

Anyway, as to the Op's question: it could be jealousy. Many people get mad that their favourite obscure anime that they think is the best thing ever will not get as popular as a long-running series, so they take on the task of hating the hell out of the series in a futile effort to fight its popularity.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 21, 2014 5:06 AM

Jun 2011
BlackSabotage said:
I'd honestly have a hard time believing a 12 episode anime would be able to offer enough to compete with the likes of LOTGH or Monster. Heck I don't believe I've given an anime series that short a score higher than 8. Dunno though too lazy to look. Oh well I find most of what's popular here to be on the overrated side :P

Not as deep as LoGH or Monster but try AnoHana, it is a really well done slice of life drama series with only 11 episodes, even shorter than your normal one cour standard.

On topic, hmm I have no idea why they hate it so much, but whatever I love long running series, unless they're constantly on hiatus, otherwise I prefer them more than the short ones.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 21, 2014 5:08 AM

Apr 2013
No one hates it because it's long running. They just don't like it. Hating =/= disliking, now I'm sure there are some people who hate it solely for the reason that it's long but they're not the majority.

Thinking that a 12 episode anime can't be as good as LOTGH or Monster is also stupid.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 21, 2014 5:15 AM

Dec 2012
I wouldn't call it hate but there is definitely a bit of disdain for longer running series from certain people. There are a lot of reasons really: too long running to get into, idea that they are unnecessarily dragged on, personally finding them overrated and way too popular based off of their first impressions and the idea that a series being able to tell a good story in shorter time frame makes it more skillful.
Feb 21, 2014 5:16 AM

Nov 2011
Emnay said:
No one hates it because it's long running. They just don't like it. Hating =/= disliking, now I'm sure there are some people who hate it solely for the reason that it's long but they're not the majority.

Thinking that a 12 episode anime can't be as good as LOTGH or Monster is also stupid.

It would be pretty damn hard for a 12 episode anime to bring me the amount of enjoyment I got from LOTGH and Monstern. That's just my way of seeing it though.
Feb 21, 2014 5:18 AM

Nov 2011
CaptainYabuki said:
Depends really.
I find some 13-26 episode Anime that aren't popular here and are considered "old" by Otakus to be great.
ANJ certainly isn't a chore lol.
Feb 21, 2014 5:21 AM

Nov 2011
Nicobade said:
I wouldn't call it hate but there is definitely a bit of disdain for longer running series from certain people. There are a lot of reasons really: too long running to get into, idea that they are unnecessarily dragged on, personally finding them overrated and way too popular based off of their first impressions and the idea that a series being able to tell a good story in shorter time frame makes it more skillful.

I think I've said this before but I think the objective of shorter series and longer series are different. I think longer series generally try to get you addicted to the life of the cast if that makes sense. Like its less about the story and more about the characters and their numerous adventures. Sorry if that sounded stupid.
Feb 21, 2014 5:22 AM

Jan 2014
400+ episodes are often just stretched out. The reason they are long is not the abundance of extra content but the pandering of it.

Same goes for chapters.

I never watch 13 ep-long anime but I don't judge its quality.

Just remember breaking bad had 7-episode long seasons.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2014 5:29 AM

Nov 2008
And some people don't like to simply watch "numerous adventures". While I've had some experience with longer series, my favorite ones are 25-50 episodes where the story is just long enough to develop the characters, explore the deep story, and a solid ending. I'd prefer a story than "the adventures of <insert character name here>".
Feb 21, 2014 5:30 AM

Nov 2011
judals said:
400+ episodes are often just stretched out. The reason they are long is not the abundance of extra content but the pandering of it.

Same goes for chapters.

I never watch 13 ep-long anime but I don't judge its quality.

Just remember breaking bad had 7-episode long seasons.

I don't think their are that many 400+ episode anime. I was really thinking like 70+ episodes.
Feb 21, 2014 5:32 AM

Mar 2012
You know longer series can give you time to attached to the character but the reverse also apply. The longer it get the longer you can feel disdain to a character.

Personally if you look at my list I love long running since I feel it's worth my time that I invest seeing the character growth.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 21, 2014 5:33 AM

Nov 2011
MotRin said:
And some people don't like to simply watch "numerous adventures". While I've had some experience with longer series, my favorite ones are 25-50 episodes where the story is just long enough to develop the characters, explore the deep story, and a solid ending. I'd prefer a story than "the adventures of <insert character name here>".
Well then that's you but some longer running series have executed deep solid stories such as Monster and LOTGH. Also what is deep anyway?
Feb 21, 2014 5:37 AM
Mar 2011
most people on here hate the idea there tv anime that do good on tv and not just there late night slock
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 21, 2014 5:42 AM

Feb 2013
A lot of people also tend to label many long-running anime as ''overrated,'' which does not have the same meaning as ''popular''.

Feb 21, 2014 5:48 AM

Nov 2013
AtorasuRaion said:
A lot of people also tend to label many long-running anime as ''overrated,'' which does not have the same meaning as ''popular''.

Essentially this, and because a lot of the fanbase which have invested in the long running animes for quite some time can become quite obnoxious and defensive about the anime which can be offputting in other people picking it up.

Long running anime aren't simply hated though, that's ridiculous. If anything, people simply don't have the time to invest in that length of series, for an anime 80+ episodes long, you could fit at least 7/8 anime series in that time which you can get a lot of enjoyment/different types of discussion out of.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 21, 2014 5:53 AM

Jan 2014
Longer running anime have build up a very big fanbase over time, but it also gave others who don't feel fond of *given anime* the "opportunity" to analyze those series and point out what they feel are major flaws. Longer series also tend to suffer from quality loss as time goes by, which in return incites even more hate. And over time people like to join that "offensive" since on the internet, it becomes 1000x more easier to bash on a subject behind anonymous persona's and get away with it.
Feb 21, 2014 5:58 AM

Jan 2014
Yhuuro said:
Longer running anime have build up a very big fanbase over time, but it also gave others who don't feel fond of *given anime* the "opportunity" to analyze those series and point out what they feel are major flaws. Longer series also tend to suffer from quality loss as time goes by, which in return incites even more hate. And over time people like to join that "offensive" since on the internet, it becomes 1000x more easier to bash on a subject behind anonymous persona's and get away with it.

I've said this before, but shorter series also suffer from quality loss, and in most cases are far worse because they have zero chance to recover.

Vexper said:
AtorasuRaion said:

Essentially this, and because a lot of the fanbase which have invested in the long running animes for quite some time can become quite obnoxious and defensive about the anime which can be offputting in other people picking it up.

Long running anime aren't simply hated though, that's ridiculous. If anything, people simply don't have the time to invest in that length of series, for an anime 80+ episodes long, you could fit at least 7/8 anime series in that time which you can get a lot of enjoyment/different types of discussion out of.

The advantage of longer series though is that (if you like it), you get the equivalent of 7-8 series with characters you already love, situations you already know and more engaging suspense in the long run.
You could try out 7 or 8 other series and many in those may just turn out to be awful or not nearly as engaging.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 21, 2014 6:00 AM

Jul 2011
Half of my ten's are above 50 episodes long so i can't say that i hate long anime series, the ones i "hate" are specific cases

BlackSabotage said:
I'd honestly have a hard time believing a 12 episode anime would be able to offer enough to compete with the likes of LOTGH or Monster.

Really?
Hellsing Ultimate, Madoka Magica, Detroit Metal City, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Angel Beats!, Baccano! and Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku are just some examples of shorts anime generally well received.
Feb 21, 2014 6:05 AM

Nov 2011
pralan said:
Half of my ten's are above 50 episodes long so i can't say that i hate long anime series, the ones i "hate" are specific cases

BlackSabotage said:
I'd honestly have a hard time believing a 12 episode anime would be able to offer enough to compete with the likes of LOTGH or Monster.

Really?
Hellsing Ultimate, Madoka Magica, Detroit Metal City, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Angel Beats!, Baccano! and Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku are just some examples of shorts anime generally well received.
Just because they're well received doesn't mean they're actually that good or that I'd like them. Baccanoe and Paranoia Agent are great though.

Also just because something is good doesn't mean its best ever material.
Feb 21, 2014 6:07 AM
Mar 2013
probably because they're longer and people don't want to watch one series that is the same quality as 30 24 episode series
Feb 21, 2014 6:09 AM

Feb 2013
Because watching 520 episodes of shonen is not such a good time investment as 20 randomly picked 26 episode series (7.50+ MAL score preferably)
Feb 21, 2014 6:11 AM

Nov 2011
romagia said:
Because watching 520 episodes of shonen is not such a good time investment as 20 randomly picked 26 episode series (7.50+ MAL score preferably)
Because there are a lot of shounen that actually have reached 520 episodes.
Feb 21, 2014 6:11 AM

Nov 2013
RedRoseFring said:
The advantage of longer series though is that (if you like it), you get the equivalent of 7-8 series with characters you already love, situations you already know and more engaging suspense in the long run.
You could try out 7 or 8 other series and many in those may just turn out to be awful or not nearly as engaging.

Very true of course, it also depends on if you really get invested in the longer series early on before you fall into filler traps or the few arcs which seem to drag a lot before your patience wears thin. Hajime no Ippo is roughly 75 episodes long and I'll sing its praises untill the day I stop watching anime as a whole.

If you really sink your teeth into a series, the length of it can be a reward in itself just so you can spend a longer amount of time wrapped up in the characters and the world. There's quite a few very short series which I really could have sat and watched heaps upon heaps on episodes which featured those characters within that world just because I loved it so much.
SadFeb 21, 2014 6:16 AM
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 21, 2014 6:15 AM

Sep 2013
BlackSabotage said:
CaptainYabuki said:
Depends really.
ANJ certainly isn't a chore lol.

True True.
Feb 21, 2014 6:16 AM

Nov 2011
Vexper said:
RedRoseFring said:

Very true of course, it all depends on if you really get invested on in the longer series earlier before you fall into filler traps or the few arcs which seem to drag a little before your patience wears thin. Hajime no Ippo is roughly 75 episodes long and I'll sing its praises untill the day I stop watching anime as a whole.

If you really sink your teeth into a series, the length of it can be a reward in itself just so you can spend a longer amount of time wrapped up in the characters and the world. There's quite a few very short series which I really could have sat and watched heaps upon heaps on episodes which featured those characters within that world just because I loved it so much.
LOTGH has no filler.
Feb 21, 2014 6:19 AM

Mar 2008
BlackSabotage said:
LOTGH has no filler.
Define filler. There were the history episodes, and the OVAs could also count.

Wait.. noone even mentioned Logh... this is why people find logh fans obnoxious.
Feb 21, 2014 6:20 AM

Jul 2013
People bringing up Monster as an example of a good long series when it has atrocious pacing and should have been at least 20 or more episodes shorter.
Feb 21, 2014 6:21 AM

Apr 2012
Because I have a very very low interest span. Not attention span but interest span as I get bored very quickly of something. An anime has to at least be on the quality level of what I would rate a 10/10 or maybe 9/10 for me to enjoy it for longer period of times. But often I even get slightly bored by anime that are only 26 episodes long, even tough I like them.

Only long anime I remember enjoying a lot was Monster, Beelzebub, GTO and NANA. Altough Nana is more along the lines of medium anime I guess since its about 50 long. Soul Eater was also quite fun.
But even those I mentioned the longest one is 77 episodes long, I dont like a single 100+ anime a lot.

Also long running series tend to drag on the same situation a lot. I tend to dislike if a certain small sub-story, event in the anime tends to take longer than 5-10 episodes. The battle of Trost in Attack on Titan which took like 8 episodes was starting to feel like that, I just like variety. But things like one piece have like 50 episodes of the same setting fighting in the same place and battles taking multiple episodes. A good battle shouldnt take more than 2 episodes.
baki502Feb 21, 2014 6:25 AM
Feb 21, 2014 6:22 AM

Dec 2012
BlackSabotage said:
Nicobade said:

I think I've said this before but I think the objective of shorter series and longer series are different. I think longer series generally try to get you addicted to the life of the cast if that makes sense. Like its less about the story and more about the characters and their numerous adventures. Sorry if that sounded stupid.

Okay I sorta agree with the first statement in general but not your explanation. It sounds like you are saying that longer series are non-continuous and character based which isn't really the case. Any series can rely on its characters for its appeal regardless of length and same with story focused series.
Feb 21, 2014 6:24 AM

Sep 2013
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
LOTGH has no filler.

Wait.. noone even mentioned Logh... this is why people find logh fans obnoxious.

He mentioned LOTGH in his opening post plus LOTGH is an OVA.
Feb 21, 2014 6:27 AM

Apr 2011
They're long, so they're afraid of investing their time in it.

pralan said:
BlackSabotage said:

Really?

Angel Beats!? Seriously?
Feb 21, 2014 6:28 AM
Mar 2011
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
LOTGH has no filler.

all of that is in the novel there is no filler in that franchise yes maybe some people get introduced quick in the show than the novel but mimnus that

Read the novels and then watch in proper order an you will see there is no filler
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 21, 2014 6:30 AM
Mar 2011
romagia said:

going by mal ratings is foolish cause mall has the most bais userbase iv seen pr at lest 90% of then

Feb 21, 2014 6:31 AM

Jan 2013
hybreezy said:
People bringing up Monster as an example of a good long series when it has atrocious pacing and should have been at least 20 or more episodes shorter.

Rather than starting a shitstorm, let's take a different approach. You say Monster should be atleast 20 episodes less, right?
If so, please clarify which parts of the plot you felt were 'filler', that is, were unnecessary to the plot progression. You may use spoiler tags.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 21, 2014 6:32 AM

Jul 2011
yhunata said:
pralan said:
BlackSabotage said:

Really?

Angel Beats!? Seriously?

I give it a 5, that doesn't change the fact that some people love it, if i don't put Angel Beats like some example of a short anime well received someone will post "you forgot Angel Beats" so i just put it there before that
Feb 21, 2014 6:33 AM

Jan 2013
NoSurrender1690 said:
romagia said:

going by mal ratings is foolish cause mall has the most bais userbase iv seen pr at lest 90% of then

I don't really think it's bias. I find it more along the lines of people refusing to make use of the entire rating scale and instead only use 5-10, mostly 7-10. I still agree that MAL has extremely shit ratings though.
Feb 21, 2014 6:35 AM
Mar 2011
pralan said:
yhunata said:
pralan said:
BlackSabotage said:

Really?

Angel Beats!? Seriously?

I give it a 5, that doesn't change the fact that some people love it, if i don't put Angel Beats like some example of a short anime well received someone will post "you forgot Angel Beats" so i just put it there before that

compere the roster sizeses btwwen ginga ei den franchise and angel beats ginga ei den mangers to wel define more chracteres than in the whole angek beats rosterr

Feb 21, 2014 6:37 AM

Mar 2008
CaptainYabuki said:
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
LOTGH has no filler.

So he did, and my mistake, I meant the Gaidens.

NoSurrender1690 said:
all of that is in the novel there is no filler in that franchise yes maybe some people get introduced quick in the show than the novel but mimnus that

Read the novels and then watch in proper order an you will see there is no filler
My point being that they could be seen as unnecessary and 'filler', depending on certain peoples views. It's a common tendency to equate 'filler' with poor quality and lack of 'plot development'.

The real issue is that while long and short series often have certain tendencies, they are also hardly a rule.
Feb 21, 2014 6:37 AM

Apr 2011
pralan said:
yhunata said:
pralan said:
BlackSabotage said:

Really?

Angel Beats!? Seriously?

You could've said, say, Free! instead, since it's much better than AB!. Hell, since you mentioned Baccano, you could've also said Durarara!! (same author).
Feb 21, 2014 6:41 AM

Feb 2013
BlackSabotage said:
romagia said:
Because there are a lot of shounen that actually have reached 520 episodes.

im not saying just one series, but the most famous certainly have (naruto one piece and dragonball)

NoSurrender1690 said:
romagia said:

i cant think of many 26 episode series below 7.50 i liked
Feb 21, 2014 6:43 AM
Mar 2011
Ckan said:
CaptainYabuki said:
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
LOTGH has no filler.

So he did, and my mistake, I meant the Gaidens.

NoSurrender1690 said:

My point being that they could be seen as unnecessary and 'filler', depending on certain peoples views. It's a common tendency to equate 'filler' with poor quality and lack of 'plot development'.

The real issue is that while long and short series often have certain tendencies, they are also hardly a rule.

if its in the source in not filler

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

5 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - 8 hours ago

27 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

» Why do Anime fail at its job? Harem Anime not ending in Harem. Revenge-plot not ending in Revenge.

Dragevard - 25 minutes ago

3 by Silverlight41 »»
9 minutes ago

» Which anime girls would be fun to watch in Boxing or MMA fights? (WITH GLOVES)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 14

18 by Lhundrup »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 3 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 30

131 by Aymu-Kun765 »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.