3It was OK
6.2%
2Disliked it
2.8%
1Hated it
2.1%
Average 4.5
290 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 22, 2009 12:33 PM

Jun 2006
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
x3

play, system0, goldenslaughter, ahahaha.wav (SFX), and stake clanking (SFX).

More Maria crazy faces.
Jul 22, 2009 12:40 PM

Jul 2009
Unexpectet it started with some comedy.
And there was the wapon from Rena in Kanon's hand.
(I didn't recognize it in the VN)

Oh and because of the fast pacing we have to expect the "Tea party" in the next ep. So I'm happy with this ep.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear ist the fear of the unknown.

H.P. Lovecraft
Jul 22, 2009 1:13 PM

Sep 2007
Stakes sound and ahahaha. I'm lovin' it.
Jul 22, 2009 1:14 PM

Jun 2008
MACKEREL MACKEREL MACKEREL <3

They get points for keeping the ahahaha and using system0. And Battler hitting Maria made me happy. But Maria's faces were so bad that they actually made me laugh out loud.

I liked Maria's song. It would have been funny if she sang the Happy Maria song xD

Overall, the episode wasn't too bad. 3.5/5

Since they rushed everything so much they will definitely have time for the
Jul 22, 2009 1:59 PM

Oct 2007
Katsuki said:
More Maria crazy faces.

Jul 22, 2009 3:19 PM
Feb 2009
I liked the Kanon vs Beatrice @ the beginning.

Lovin' the Maria scene while everyone in the room is dead and she's singing facing the wall.

Tea Party Time? :o
ElikaJul 22, 2009 6:09 PM
Jul 22, 2009 3:36 PM

Dec 2008
THat was a great way to end the episode. Nanjo, Genji, and Kumasawa's deaths highly reminded me of the Blair Witch Project.

I think it's safe o say that the scropion charm is a safety charm in a sense. While Kanon's death wasn't by Beatrice, but by human hands. (Atleast he's had the least painful death so far -_-' )
Jul 22, 2009 4:53 PM

Jun 2007
Fujikira said:
THat was a great way to end the episode. Nanjo, Genji, and Kumasawa's deaths highly reminded me of the Blair Witch Project.

I think it's safe o say that the scropion charm is a safety charm in a sense. While Kanon's death wasn't by Beatrice, but by human hands. (Atleast he's had the least painful death so far -_-' )

The scorpion charm has the power to make you a main character.
Jul 22, 2009 6:03 PM
Jul 2009
Slaughter again.

The scene of Kanon in the basement seemed a bit abrupt, but so it is in VN.
Astonished to realize that DEEN has adjusted this much into 4eps.
Looking forward to the Tea Party and ?????
Jul 22, 2009 6:49 PM

Jul 2008
I liked this episode a lot. Murder + Crazy Maria = Fun to watch!

And even though I have never played the VN, all this talk of Tea Parties and Bernkastel makes me excited for the next episode.
Jul 22, 2009 7:45 PM

Sep 2007
They skipped Kanon pulling the stake out. Booooooooo.
Jul 22, 2009 8:21 PM

Oct 2008
Zedrane said:

That's for the DVD Release, in addition to all the uncensored faces back in the Garden Shed (or so we hope XD)

No one's mentioning Maria's singing songs mechanically and out of nowhere? That is such a classical element of horror, done to perfection in the VN and still didn't lose its charm in the anime version.
Jul 22, 2009 9:36 PM

Dec 2008
mouselmm said:
Zedrane said:

That's for the DVD Release, in addition to all the uncensored faces back in the Garden Shed (or so we hope XD)

No one's mentioning Maria's singing songs mechanically and out of nowhere? That is such a classical element of horror, done to perfection in the VN and still didn't lose its charm in the anime version.

I'm still waiting for someone to abridge Shion's/Rena's laugh from Higurashi to that scene. :p

It would've been nice to know what she was singing though.
Jul 22, 2009 10:32 PM
Mar 2008
I like Maria's 'comedy' scary faces more than the normal ones. Something about the blatant 'cartoon'-ness of them makes them creepier than the usual DEEN twistyface.

Was Kanon's weapon a billhook in the game too, or did they change that as a reference to Higurashi?

system0 AND ahahaha.wav. Hell. Yes. All we need now is Dread of the Grave and DEEN will have fully absolved the sin of leaving the good music out of Higurashi.

Finally, they showed the full text of the epitaph. I suppose it's not that important in the grand scheme of things except as a plot device later on, but I would have been annoyed if they had waited until the first game was over.

Gun-toting Natsuhi was appropriately badass. Bears with cubs are the fiercest after all~
Jul 22, 2009 10:53 PM

May 2007
wow clash and ahaha were really unexpected o_o good job DEEN
and now it's finally time for the Tea Parties
*wants to do a lot of
Jul 23, 2009 1:26 AM
Apr 2009
Damn, that was awesome.

At least, Jessica found the way Maria was acting weird.
Jul 23, 2009 1:53 AM

Aug 2007
I for one aren't quite impressed with this episode. I know they want to end this fast, but I didn't really feel much impact from this episode compared to ep3. The depression, sadness and despair from losing more peoples, and the tense from the survivors knowing that they could be the next target. George reaction when he sprang into Eva's chest, lamenting her death was kinda awkward too. The scene about the 4th and 5th twilight also was too short in my opinion.
The part I like the most is probably the final 3 sacrificing twilight in the end, which was nicely done, visually.

Since it's already reaching the end of Legend of Golden Witch, I guess next episode will be used for Tea party and the Extra, although this might extend further to epsidoe 6. Then come Turn of Golden Witch, the Episode I dislike the most : (
_seraphJul 23, 2009 2:00 AM

The destinies mend rift in time as men etches fate anew
Jul 23, 2009 2:58 AM
Sep 2008
Turn of the Golden Witch, Episode Two... I didn't like that at all either.

Did anyone find the scenes Battler hitting Maria's head... cute? Or is it only me?

Anyways, I found this First Episode... entirely interesting.

Jul 23, 2009 3:10 AM

Mar 2008
Not bad, though I thought I was told there wouldn't be any more murder cases this episode. Instead Kanon was killed (I was under the impression he was an important character) and 3 more people. That's really rather boring since the epitaph clearly spoils everything and also that those death's won't be permanent. So far I am not impressed with all that anti-climatic spoiling. They could have made this really good by not slapping Beatrice as the culprit right into your face since the beginning.
Despite all this I am still enjoying this for what it is.

BTW, doesn't the epitaph announce one death per twilight (= night?) in the later parts? Did they compress 5 nights into one this episode? Because for the night of this episode the epitaph only announced the worshipping of her name not a death. Makes the epitaph pretty much a lie with this. Not good.
Jul 23, 2009 3:11 AM

Oct 2008
z2000 said:

Really? wow wtf I missed that. What ep and when did that show up?
じーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーっ
Jul 23, 2009 3:12 AM

Jul 2008
man this serie is just too awesome. i cant stop shaking xD
if they would suspect maria now? want to see more~~

Jul 23, 2009 3:17 AM

Jun 2007
Forever said:
Not bad, though I thought I was told there wouldn't be any more murder cases this episode. Instead Kanon was killed (I was under the impression he was an important character) and 3 more people. That's really rather boring since the epitaph clearly spoils everything and also that those death's won't be permanent. So far I am not impressed with all that anti-climatic spoiling. They could have made this really good by not slapping Beatrice as the culprit right into your face since the beginning.
Despite all this I am still enjoying this for what it is.

BTW, doesn't the epitaph announce one death per twilight (= night?) in the later parts? Did they compress 5 nights into one this episode? Because for the night of this episode the epitaph only announced the worshipping of her name not a death. Makes the epitaph pretty much a lie with this. Not good.

Night is only one definition of twilight.

Also...
LunarEmeraldJul 23, 2009 3:21 AM
Jul 23, 2009 3:39 AM

Dec 2007
too fast! Everything was done very well besides the beginning with George which just felt awkward... But i was really hoping they would at least save the last twilight's for one more episode so they could go over the epitaph more. But whatever, the sooner they get too episode 2 the sooner i can see more Battler finger pointing and red lettered goodness.

Forever said:
That's really rather boring since the epitaph clearly spoils everything and also that those death's won't be permanent. So far I am not impressed with all that anti-climatic spoiling. They could have made this really good by not slapping Beatrice as the culprit right into your face since the beginning.

Umineko isn't about the deaths, it's about solving the mystery.
KetuekigamiJul 23, 2009 3:51 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2009 3:44 AM

Jan 2008
uwa- I died. Damn witch.
Jul 23, 2009 3:55 AM

Aug 2007
paskyx said:
z2000 said:

Really? wow wtf I missed that. What ep and when did that show up?

actually, it was 18 people to be precise.

SilentXenocide said:
Forever said:

The murders have to be carried out during the typhoon, otherwise everyone else would just leave the island. The typhoon is only for a couple days I believe, so 1 murder per night would not work.

yeah, I think the typhoon last only around 2 days.
As for the twilight, it does not necessarily mean "night" in the sense of the epitaph. Just like the rest of the epitaph riddles which do not necessarily mean what they are (eg village, sweetfish etc).

The destinies mend rift in time as men etches fate anew
Jul 23, 2009 3:57 AM

Jan 2008
I don't really approve of this whole spoiling things from the VN...But oh well, I dont get them, so who cares XD
I am really looking forward to the next episodes. And Maria is really making me shitting bricks XD Singing kids are scary as hell, even scarier when standing in a room with 3 dead people and facing the wall...uuu~
Jul 23, 2009 4:25 AM

Jun 2008
I wasn't that impressed with this episode. It's kinda getting repetitive.
Jul 23, 2009 4:31 AM

Apr 2007
I'm still loving it. Damn I wish I could marathon this :/ ...

Kanon-kun said:
uwa- I died. Damn witch.

I lol'd.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2009 4:34 AM

Mar 2008
Ok ok, I get it. This still has a lot in store, right?

I will try to stop making (false) assumptions and just enjoy the ride, because making false assumptions seems to only aggravate the VN-reader who can only hardly hold back to spoil things. ^^

Seems this is only good as long as you won't get spoiled by the VN-folks here, so maybe I shouldn't post in here any more. Too dangerous.
Jul 23, 2009 4:50 AM
Mar 2009
Forever said:
Ok ok, I get it. This still has a lot in store, right?

I will try to stop making (false) assumptions and just enjoy the ride, because making false assumptions seems to only aggravate the VN-reader who can only hardly hold back to spoil things. ^^

Seems this is only good as long as you won't get spoiled by the VN-folks here, so maybe I shouldn't post in here any more. Too dangerous.

Yeah, there's to many VN people here. I was thinking of some idea where we can just split up the anime only watchers and the ones who have played the VN into two groups for discussion of each episode. I just know sooner or later someones gonna slip up.

Anyways, I loved this episode, the part at the end with the three servants being killed or whatever with Maria left just standing there singing at the wall was a total mindfuck. What I learned from watching Higurashi is to not assume the thought that comes up first in your mind because you're probably wrong, so I know whats at the forefront here isn't what we really think. Just like what Battler says, you have to flip the chessboard over to figure these kind of things out.
Jul 23, 2009 5:51 AM

Jan 2009
Wo-ho, things are getting more tense...
More Maria psycho faces kihihihi...

All the twilight now ends...
Can't wait for next episode !!
Jul 23, 2009 6:08 AM

Apr 2009
mackerel <3

ahahaha.wav and the other one, I forgot the name
...I couldn't stop laughting, but it was meant to be an serious scene...but I just couldn't stop xD
the best part of this Episode was when the phone rang and then...just awesome xD
Marias song is cute~ I only watched the raw, because I wait for the seacats subs xD I know whats going on so it's okay. I wish I would know what she sings...is it the same song as in the manga? I'm waiting~ xD

Can't wait for the next Ep, I'm finally go to see
<3
Kyu-chanJul 23, 2009 8:09 AM

Jul 23, 2009 6:16 AM

Aug 2008
Did they skip this?

If no, then who was it?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Jul 23, 2009 6:20 AM

Jun 2007
Leinel said:
Did they skip this?

If no, then who was it?

Kinzo's burnt corpse had a stake in the forehead.
Jul 23, 2009 6:26 AM

Jul 2008
Kyu-chan said:
Can't wait for the next Ep, I'm finally go to see
<3

Yeah, I'm so waiting forward that I'll be seeing my

Overall this episode was okay. Kanon - scene at the start was awesome, but a little too short imo. But Maria made lot of nice faces :''D

Jul 23, 2009 6:30 AM

Aug 2008
MarthX said:
Leinel said:
Did they skip this?

If no, then who was it?

Kinzo's burnt corpse had a stake in the forehead.

I thought he was burnt to death instead. Thanks.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Jul 23, 2009 7:20 AM

Sep 2007
Oh right, bern-chan is in the next episode (if they animate the ????)
Looking forward for it.
Jul 23, 2009 7:33 AM

Nov 2008
Good Episode, I had my O-Face pretty much on for all of it, which I what I want from a series, and I'm very very impressed with Umineko as stands, even now.^^

Jul 23, 2009 7:35 AM

Jul 2008
maria is crazyyyyyyyyy
Jul 23, 2009 8:47 AM

Jul 2008
lol did Maria see the murders happen?
Jul 23, 2009 8:48 AM
Oct 2008
ok,now im sure of it, I FRIGGIN HATE THAT MARIA!!
awsome episode again

does anyone know where i can find some umineko cosplay?
i want to see a Battler cosplay

Jul 23, 2009 9:10 AM

Mar 2008
This show is just getting better and better *___*
Jul 23, 2009 9:16 AM

Apr 2009
I love this <3
Jul 23, 2009 9:29 AM

Jul 2008
hmm just like i said in an earlier episode discussion what if someone faked his/her death >_<

as for Maria funny how she was facing the wall when 3 other guys are dead lol
Jul 23, 2009 9:32 AM

Apr 2007
Good episode except for a few things.

I really found it weird how nobody except for Nanjo did anything to help Jessica when she was coughing like crazy. That part made no sense and just made me go 'wtf?'. Seriously.

The second, I wish the anime kept that one line from Natsuhi when she saw George mourning over his mother's death. About how she'll protect all the children. And Battler's mourning as well.

Other than that, the episode wasn't too bad.
Jul 23, 2009 10:08 AM

Aug 2008
Blah episode. I'd like to be surprised by the show, but I'm just not. Kannon vs. Beatrice is probably the best moment of the series so far...but it really didn't seem like he had died, since it looked like he was still breathing and looking around when everyone came in, but maybe that was my imagination.

I just wish Natsuhi had killed Maria.
Jul 23, 2009 10:27 AM

Apr 2007
Next week's episode preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9CEhvU2Nb4

Guess who shows up~!
Jul 23, 2009 10:41 AM

Jun 2007
I enjoyed, however, I have a feeling that if I didn't play the visual novel a week beforehand, I would have likely enjoyed it more... though maria's faces were priceless.

Cant wait for the tea party
Jul 23, 2009 10:48 AM

Jun 2007
As said before, this episode was totally mindfuck. I'm still shaking. But anyways, if Beatrice actually was the culpit, then I'll be really pissed off because of the obviousness. I really loved Maria's song at the end, even though I hate her.

In my opinion, this show is getting more and more interestin'
Can't wait for the next one!
Jul 23, 2009 11:10 AM

Nov 2008
i wanted Conan Edogawa to pop up at the end :(
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.