Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 10 11 [12]
Jun 20, 2020 1:52 PM

Feb 2020
Finally decided to watch the anime adaptation... And wow, I don't regret it, it looks great so far ! I especially love the voice actors' job, they convey the characters' emotions so well (especially Emma's va, she did such a fantastic job at the end) and their voice fits them perfectly, I don't have an issue with any of them. (But I just found out Norman's va is the same as Rikka Takanashi's ? Impressive, I didn't at all recognize her.)
The musics are also very good (
), and the animation of the facial expressions is great ! I also love the way the demons' eyes move, such a nice detail.
I think my only complaint would be that it gave way too many hints before the reveal, I remember when I first read the manga having been caught completely by surprise, but I don't think that would've been the case if I started with the anime.
But other than that, it's really, really good so far.
I missed the atmosphere of this arc so much... And it's very interesting to see some of the characters' reactions now that I know them better.
Jun 21, 2020 5:08 PM

Apr 2013
Ok, so the 2 kids escaped running from under the truck with Monsters + Mom right next to them? Some pretty good teleportation skills.
Jul 3, 2020 7:30 PM
Mar 2020
I really liked the first half of the setup. Sets the mood for the series. I wished they didn't reveal the monsters yet.
Jul 30, 2020 2:45 AM
Jul 2020
BRUH. I love this cliffhanger, this animation, the intensity, their faces, all of it. I am shook in the first episode and I am so ready to binge this series.
Aug 14, 2020 8:24 PM

Mar 2020
Holy shit dude, raising humans in an orphanage just to be eaten as human meat? That's dark. I had a feeling since this episode was giving off some creepy vibes that the people that got outside of the House probably died or were killed or something. This will be fun to watch.
Sep 7, 2020 2:15 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
An issue I had was how they ran from under the truck without being noticed @_@ Overall was a nice 360 in atmosphere.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Sep 9, 2020 3:30 PM
May 2020
Pretty much where I thought it was gonna go. I like the design of the monsters though, I wasn't expecting them to look like that.
DS_Alkaline
Sep 12, 2020 3:27 PM
Aug 2020
yoooo wth! the mother looks scary at the end!!

The anime looks good can't wait to know what will happen next....

I like the OP and ED songs they're catchy.
Sep 17, 2020 6:07 PM

May 2019
I guess i realized the meanings behind the plot:

- If you think in the kids as being... broccolis -

- Then you have a great anti-vegan propaganda -

Please Have Mercy on the Vegetables

Sep 28, 2020 10:15 AM

May 2015
Ah yes. Child harvesting...
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 11, 2020 6:42 PM
Jul 2020
Oh geez that got dark fast. And Isabella’s smile? Creeepy. The Ops a bop tho.
Nov 14, 2020 11:05 PM

Jul 2020
This was so suspenseful I was shocked when I saw those monsters I was just lost for words and still am. I must binge watch it now.
Dec 11, 2020 3:16 PM

Jul 2017
Rewatching The Promised Neverland to prepare myself for its 2nd season in a few weeks, as well as just experience the nostalgia of watching one of my favorite beginning arcs in all of anime/manga, a time when TPN was good and not messed up really badly unlike how the manga ended up to be. I won't take the manga downfall at all into account for how I view this anime as well as the next season too.

But yeah, the first episode was excellent and felt like it just flew by naturally. Emma, Ray and Norman are already really good and fitting protagonists for a show like this, and the world is surely fascinating to say the least. It's a world that's full of mystery, especially since the children have only been in one area for most of their lives, the orphanage, which turns out to be a farm for grooming children and preparing the best quality ones to sell to monsters outside the gate to consume. I wonder if animals feel the same way as these kids in this show.

The animation is solid, not too dynamic but the frames look well drawn for me and the monster from what I got a glimpse of, looks nicely animated too. The art isn't quite as intense as the manga but for an anime, it does the job nicely and the music composition fit the show really well too. The opening song by UVERworld was intense and an adrenaline rush and the ED song by Cö shu Nie was fantastic too. Dub is great too, mainly since Erica Mendez is voicing Emma, and she's one of my favorite anime dub voice actresses out there. Laura Post being Isabella was good too.

As far as the content goes, it was a great hook really, seeing the kids have fun in the orphanage and treat each other like family but then Emma and Norman learned the truth about how cruel the world really is and how their fun and optimism was just an illusion in the end, and how their mother who they idolized was just using them to protect herself by preparing and selling them to be sacrificed. Definitely has one of the best hooks I feel for a Jump anime/manga for sure.

Overall, an excellent start for me and I can't wait to rewatch the rest of it now.
Dec 12, 2020 9:46 PM
Nov 2020
Wow, it still feels tense when I rewatch it
Dec 29, 2020 9:23 PM
Apr 2020
One of the anime with a very good first episode.

Jan 12, 2021 11:27 AM

Apr 2020
I had been spoiled about Conny's death and that the children are actually food. But it was thrilling to watch none the less.

The last moment showing Mama looking at the end was creepy. Now I'm expecting jump scares.
--AbiSa--
Jan 13, 2021 7:57 PM

Aug 2011
Why did I wait so long to start watching this series? They really buttered us up for the ending; I wasn't expecting that.
Jan 28, 2021 3:16 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Wow. Nice revelations at these first episode. So, i don't need to waste my poor brain to guess whats shit happened at those orphanage. Lol.

Mama, what have you done? Selling those cute petite children to the demons? Sigh.

What a shit beginning for Emma and her friends. Wait, Emma. I thought she was a boy before reaching this show. Lmao. Nice trade. She was a genki girl. What a lovely personality to be added to those survival games. Her probability to survive has been increased. Yes, indeed, its a survival game. The problem was not just her. But everyone. They were trying hard to flee with everyone else? Crazy shit dream. The strategy was not enough. You needed more than a good luck, fortune, skill, determination, and ofc a lot of sacrificial, to be able to saved those all.

Oh well. Guess, i need to calm down. Because this just a beginning before a shit storm. Thanks for that. I had enough motivation to continue watching. Lol. Wish me luck until the end....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 31, 2021 2:09 PM

Jul 2013
Oh man, I kind of knew the premise of the story... and was like "heh, I bet they're going to get eaten"—because I've seen a bunch of shows like that—and yet was still surprised. And I didn't see the demons coming. When that one was looking under the truck and the eyes snapped forward, that made me jump.
Feb 8, 2021 10:35 PM

Dec 2015
Oh man, that last shot of the Mom at end was CHILLING. What a hopeless situation for the kids, that's rough. Can't wait to see more.
Feb 24, 2021 3:13 PM

May 2020
I mean, I'm really enjoying it so far, but something about the art style annoys the crap out of me , every time I see their faces from front view, I feel like I just want to open the photoshop and move their facial features with the lasso tool lol
“I am running away from my responsibilities. And it feels good.”
– Michael Scott
Mar 15, 2021 9:54 AM

Aug 2020
BRUH
I'm literally watching this because someone told me that Connie dies in ep 1 and I'm still crying

I started kinda considering eating meat again but this anime be making me remember why I became vegetarian in the first place and I'm only on the first episode. Like imagine being raised only to get eaten T_T
Mar 18, 2021 1:32 AM

Jan 2021
I have not read the manga so I did not know what i was getting myself into with this anime. What I got from the first episode definetly gets my hopes up though. The main characters seems intresting and the anime quickly takes a dark turn which makes me want to watch the next episode immediatly.
MAL:
Apr 1, 2021 2:30 PM

Dec 2015
Wow, that ended in a flash. Mom is so creepy.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 5, 2021 8:55 AM

Feb 2019
Holy shit. I'm not into horror, but that was an amazing first episode.
The soundtrack, animation and OP are all awesome!

The scene at the end was spine-chilling. I'm hooked.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Aug 10, 2021 12:31 PM

Aug 2018
Great introduction during whole episode, really looking forward to see what interesting adventure these orpahans will bring us
Oct 22, 2021 6:21 AM

Jun 2016
A solid opening episode to the show with some creative camera work thrown in. Not bad at all. The kids themselves also seem like they'll be intriguing, but I'll have to wait and see.

The premise by itself is very promising. Hopefully, it will keep this dark tone and aesthetic that it's got going throughout. I look forward to seeing where this show goes.

Nov 3, 2021 11:51 PM

Jun 2020
Starting with the first episode first the OP was so good like it fits like a boot and we get to see the world in our own eyes so not much vagueness there

Introducing our characters there's a lot honestly and now that I thought of it how do they even live on their own with that much confined space and no source of food insight

That was creepy as fuck RIP Conny just killed off like that, Now Emma and Norman's starting to think what's next for them hopefully not food, Finally I got to hear that damn OST it's good.
Jan 22, 2022 12:57 PM
Feb 2021
My friend recommended this to me and I didn't know what to expect. The visuals were amazing, the music was beautiful. The numbers on their necks were suspicious and they just hit you with the truth right then and there. It was a thrill and I loved it. Poor Conny. Hopefully they all escape
Feb 2, 2022 4:44 PM
Feb 2022
هو انا ازاي اشغل الانم 😅
Mar 5, 2022 1:46 AM

Nov 2014
That was one hell of a reveal. No way they actually made it out undetected with that layout though.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 3, 2022 12:36 PM
Mar 2022
I really enjoy the music, and the the scenes. The atmosphere
they set up really gets the mood going. I really enjoy how the scene
where they walk into the gate is shot, and how big everything looks.
The angles and way the characters are positioned makes Emma and Norman
look really smooth, and when they find Conny, everything from the music
to the sfx hits.

And the reveal for the demons adds, from the music to the shot, the way
they slide into frame, and the way they show the scale as they pick
Conny up really hits. The animation for the faces really adds to it.

The scene where Emma and Norman are in the fields really hits hard.

And that jump-scare still scares the shit out of me lol.
Sep 2, 2022 4:32 PM

Aug 2019
Am i the only one who have strong The Island movie vibes from the first episode?
Sep 19, 2022 1:22 AM
Sep 2022
What was the peak rating of season 1 , the rating has dropped because of season 2.
Oct 4, 2022 6:56 AM
Oct 2022
Heavens sake, that ending! but it was good though. But that ending! geezus
Oct 30, 2022 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
The opening episode of The Promised Neverland is a masterpiece. So much so, that I recommend that you only watch this episode and none of the future ones. Trust me, you will be disappointed.
Feb 8, 2023 6:14 AM

Jan 2013
Amazing OP, visuals and song.

Crazy start and that ending with their "Mom" standing there ... fak.
Mar 11, 2023 1:23 PM
Mar 2023
It was an interesting start/introduction to a story that might be intruiging!
Jun 6, 2023 10:22 AM
Mar 2023
It was a little bit scary but is was pretty fun
Jul 1, 2023 4:34 PM

Nov 2021
I wonder what the factory farm version is like.

Jul 3, 2023 10:44 AM
Jan 2019
It was trash......
Aug 17, 2023 1:11 PM

Dec 2022
Interesting first episode
Nov 9, 2023 7:01 PM

Nov 2023
The biggest plus I find of this epesode is that it does have an ominous undertone to it, like, why are all wearing the same? The only problem is that 80% of the episode is just the kids playing tag.
Dec 30, 2023 12:57 AM
Oct 2023
very interesting and mysterious intro, striking start, horror setting similar to disturbia leaving you on the edge of your seat! I feel tingles at the end of ep 1, brilliant unsettling us of soundtracks, exceptional first ep, insanely good and one-of-a-kind plot
Dec 30, 2023 12:58 AM
Oct 2023
very interesting and mysterious intro, striking start, horror setting similar to disturbia leaving you on the edge of your seat! I feel tingles at the end of ep 1, brilliant unsettling us of soundtracks, exceptional first ep, insanely good and one-of-a-kind plot
Jan 1, 11:42 AM

Dec 2022
Didn't expect the secret of the orphanage to be that it was actually a human livestock farm, apparently for demons of some sort. Has the existence of these demons been kept completely under wraps so far?

Shaded Horizon

Jan 4, 9:27 AM

Jul 2016
Knew the uneasy opening scene was gonna build up to something but god damn. That reveal was horrifying.

Emma and Norman might actually have a shot at escaping if they somehow found a window to sneak out from that one.
Feb 1, 4:14 PM

Mar 2021
I knew the lil kid was gonna be dead but I didn't expect fucking MONSTERS LOL

Pages (12) « First ... « 10 11 [12]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2019

219 by masons_anime78 »»
May 23, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2019

252 by masons_anime78 »»
May 23, 8:46 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

246 by masons_anime78 »»
May 22, 8:32 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2019

305 by masons_anime78 »»
May 21, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2019

316 by Glassviolin »»
May 14, 10:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.