Comprehensive sex education versus abstinence-only sex education

New
WHICH DID YOU -ACTUALLY HAVE- IN SCHOOL (read definitions if you are unsure):
comprehensive sex education
85.3%
abstinence-only sex education
14.7%
68 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 28, 2009 12:43 PM

Jun 2008
I never got sex-ed in school. The closest thing we got was they took all the guys into a gym, and the PE teacher told us that our bodies were changing. After that he handed out little sticks of deodorant and demonstrated how to use them. Bastard scarred me for life.
I'm back.
Jan 28, 2009 1:00 PM

Dec 2007
Now that I remember... I was wrong. We actually had something similar at 6th grade. They gave us folders with technical information about the period and getting pregnant and the male genitalia. Boys got a smaller folder, and never showed us, so I don't know what they learned.

It was really nothing new when we had to study the Reproductive System for science class.

I still have that folder lost somewhere (probably in the basement?), I may go look for it to know what was there. It was a trendy thing at the time, to have "sexual education class", but parent's associations and Government found it stupid and redundant and it does not exist anymore.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 28, 2009 2:45 PM

Jan 2009
kei-clone said:
our school did the comprehensive thing, but we are in new york so no backwards conservative christian teachings here ^^ our teachers laugh at creationism har har har

lucky >.>
Jan 28, 2009 2:49 PM
Nov 2008
I got comprehensive.

...in my Catholic middle school.

There wasn't much said about it but there was no trying to hide stuff.
Jan 28, 2009 2:49 PM
Apr 2008
StephanBlackhawk said:

"DON'T HAVE SEX GOD WILL HATE YOU, AND DON'T MASTURBATE EITHER GOD IS WATCHING YOU"
If he hates people who have sex and watches people who masturbate, God must be a perverted stalker who's jealous of non-virgins.
Jan 28, 2009 3:20 PM

Nov 2007
Sohei said:
Baman said:
StephanBlackhawk said:
School is nowhere in there since all they say is "DON'T HAVE SEX GOD WILL HATE YOU, AND DON'T MASTURBATE EITHER GOD IS WATCHING YOU" sort of shit going down.
Damn. If I was in a school like that, I'd probably flip out and massacre someone.
Or at least wear one of those "Jesus is a cunt" Tshirts everyday just to provoke the bastards.

you'd get sent to jail : )
damn fundimentalist christians.

I'm Catholic. Not fucking protestant, hate those guys.
sad
Jan 28, 2009 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
neither: teach me real sex-ed. Like how to put on a condom and positions and stuff. The text book would be the Karma Sutra.
Jan 28, 2009 3:46 PM

Dec 2007
Rail_Man said:
neither: teach me real sex-ed. Like how to put on a condom and positions and stuff. The text book would be the Kama Sutra.

Fixed
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 28, 2009 3:56 PM

Feb 2008
Should add a 3rd choice of "alternative only" sex ed.

At my high school we barely even touched abstinence. Sure...it was stated that the only 100% sure way of stopping the spread of stds was abstinence...but after that statement is was onto all the contraceptives available and teaching both boys and girls how to put a condom on a banana >.>. If anything we weren't even taught about abstinence...was just a side note.
Jan 28, 2009 4:21 PM

Jun 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Rail_Man said:
neither: teach me real sex-ed. Like how to put on a condom and positions and stuff. The text book would be the Kama Sutra.

Fixed.

Fixed the fix. (If you are going to fix a post just because a grammatical mistake, make sure your grammar is also correct.)
I'm back.
Jan 28, 2009 4:33 PM

Jan 2009
Cave said:
I got comprehensive.

...in my Catholic middle school.

There wasn't much said about it but there was no trying to hide stuff.

did they teach about contraceptives at the catholic school?
Jan 28, 2009 9:51 PM

Sep 2008
They just showed us a movie of a 2 hour birth.

"Have sex all you want children, but remember the 8 pound beast that will emerge from your vagina."
Jan 28, 2009 10:08 PM

Oct 2008
I went ahead and put down comprehensive, but really it was pretty much in between. They were really hands off about it, and tried to leave it mainly up to the parents. Sex-ed in middle school was optional, and if you did take it (which I did), all it encorperated was two days worth of half hour lessons on what sex was and what contraceptives were, not so much encouraging us towards either abstinance or safe sex.

Rpgwiz said:
They just showed us a movie of a 2 hour birth.

"Have sex all you want children, but remember the 8 pound beast that will emerge from your vagina."

And this was high school, of course, haha.

As for my personal views, I'm one-hundred precent in line with comprehensive sex education.
Jun 9, 2015 8:51 AM

Mar 2014
AnimusNathan said:
I think sex ed should also teach about oral and anal sex. As well as homosexuality and what a fetish is, what is and isn't okay and why etc.

THAT would be comprehensive.

"You shouldn't do it, and if you do wear a condom. Also, lol babies and STDs."

That's not even really education to me. I don't even know how they managed to make these things last an hour when there was only 5 minutes of info.

I took a class while still in community college.

It was a class meant to teach the biology behind the reproductive system.

That class had WAY more comprehensive sex ed than the health classes I took in middle and high school, and again, that class was not about sex per say, but the Reproductive system biology, it was a science class.

The idea of abstinence is ridiculous when you allow yourself to think about it enouh.

You're telling someone to hold off on sex until after marriage or you will get STDs and pregnancy. Like marriage o someone eliminates these risks and you will be immune to STDs. Unmarried people can get tested to make sure they do not have STDs, .

So the question is, what is abstinence good for other than religion obligation?

Schools should not teach abstenence because nothing will chnge after marriage.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jun 9, 2015 8:09 PM

Mar 2012
Little bit of a false dichotomy you've presented there.
Let's go bowling.
Jun 9, 2015 9:48 PM

Jun 2008
StopDropAndBowl said:
Little bit of a false dichotomy you've presented there.

lol, c'mon man, defend your conservative buddies and argue FOR abstinence sex education!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.