Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 6, 2013 4:49 AM

May 2009
Some people here sound like my grandparents in a bad way. I suppose it's that the times are leaving them behind and they're not able to cope with the light-speed changes. It's still no reason to knock the current generation.

Old people should realize that not all young people are stuck inside the house in front of monitors. There are good parents around that encourage their kids to play tennis with them or participate in triathlons. Those said parents know the great value and service the internet provides their kids. It doesn't take much intelligence to know that kids today are more knowledgeable of a myriad of things than their parents did at the same age (not only of sex but that phrase 'Google is your friend').

If used wisely, technology lifts a great burden to parents - school matters, location and contacts. I don't want to go back without the current technology.

If anything, I feel sorry for the old blokes who feel this way. So old yet still alive. Why don't you adapt for a change?
Jan 6, 2013 4:51 AM

Nov 2011
drinkbeer said:
George Orwell -
- Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.

/thread

Funny thing is, I spend most of my time inside when I was younger, and i'm the same age as the OP.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jan 6, 2013 4:56 AM

Nov 2011
uzu-dragons said:
katsucats said:
"Go outside" is weak. Why is any activity involving going outside considered intrinsically better than any other activity?

Compared to sitting an texting or doing something else electronically? The memories that come out of it-- riding your bikes around the neighborhood, plaing basketball/football in the streets with the other kids on the street or friends. That's time well spent. How many experiences of gaming/texting/whatever can a person recall that will give them feelings of nostalgia?
Doing something productive is better, too. Making bracelets, drawing, whatever.

My best memories are from WoW, other online games, playing on my gameboy or N64(with friends).

So I heavilly disagree with what you said.

Jan 6, 2013 4:58 AM

Nov 2011
uzu-dragons said:

By learning and practicing a skill. Sure, younger kids could learn some computer programming while they sit on the computer, but it's unlikely. And useful skills can be learned from the internet, but that depends on whether the user (kids, in this case) are using it for such means.

I learned an entire language(English) from the internet, so once again you're wrong.

Could you also stop stating your opinion as a fact?

Jan 6, 2013 6:04 AM

Dec 2011
rederoin said:

I learned an entire language(English) from the internet, so once again you're wrong.

Could you also stop stating your opinion as a fact?

snaps for rederoin. how old were you when you learned the entire english language fluently, online? No where have I said that the internet isn't a tool for learning.
Where was I wrong before? Because your opinion differed from mine? Right.
rederoin said:
My best memories are from WoW, other online games, playing on my gameboy or N64(with friends).

>with friends
Jan 6, 2013 6:08 AM

Feb 2010
Pettersson said:
"Everything was better in the past." & "Kids these days."

Classic grandmother statements.

I'm feeling old. Thank you.
LUL
Jan 6, 2013 6:40 AM

Nov 2011

>with friends

Your point?

I was talking about how you state your opinions as facts. Like they are somehow better than the opinions of others. Atleast it seems that way.

uzu-dragons said:

snaps for rederoin. how old were you when you learned the entire english language fluently, online?

Irrelevant to the discussion.

No where have I said that the internet isn't a tool for learning.

I wasn't using it as a tool to learn, you seem to imply that using the internet isn't helpful in learning something new.

Where was I wrong before? Because your opinion differed from mine? Right.

How many experiences of gaming/texting/whatever can a person recall that will give them feelings of nostalgia?

This is not an opinion since you're talking about other people, thus it can be proven wrong, thus you are wrong.

And useful skills can be learned from the internet, but that depends on whether the user (kids, in this case) are using it for such means.

See above, you can learn things from the internet without the intend to learn those things, but just by doing whatever it is that you use the internet for.

rederoinJan 6, 2013 6:48 AM

Jan 6, 2013 6:52 AM

Aug 2011
Not_Biased said:

Sorry kids but a few years from now when you’re 70 the only fascinating story you’ll be able to tell your grandchildren is when you switched to the new facebook profile.

That is happening right now...
kek
Jan 6, 2013 6:55 AM
May 2012
I feel sorry for the older generations.
Jan 6, 2013 7:03 AM

Dec 2011
rederoin said:

Your point?
You counted being with friends playing games as one of your best memories, which only supports what I said.

I was talking about how you state your opinions as facts. Like they are somehow better than the opinions of others. Atleast it seems that way.
Do I need to put "I think that..." before everything so that you know it's an opinion? It should be obvious.

Irrelevant to the discussion.

No, your age then is relevant. This is a discussion about younger generations. Unless you were a kid when you learned English fluently on the computer, what you said would be irrelevant since it's already been established that the internet can be a tool for learning.

I wasn't using it as a tool to learn, you seem to imply that using the internet isn't helpful in learning something new.

You just said that you "once learned an entire language(English) from the internet."
And I said before that the internet can be used to learn new things, things that one intends to learn or not, but given that we're talking about kids, it's unlikely that they're spending time on technology with an intent to learn.

uzu-dragons said:

How many experiences of gaming/texting/whatever can a person recall that will give them feelings of nostalgia?

This is not an opinion since you're talking about other people, thus it can be proven wrong, thus you are wrong.
Yeah, that's not an opinion since it's a question. But it implies that I think the number would be relatively small compared to going outside being active and social. So again, an opinion.

rederoin said:

And useful skills can be learned from the internet, but that depends on whether the user (kids, in this case) are using it for such means.

See above, you can learn things from the internet without the intend to learn those things, but just by doing whatever it is that you use the internet for.

have you even read all of the discussion between me and katsucats? Half the things you're bringing up are all things we've discussed.
Jan 6, 2013 7:07 AM

Jan 2013
Sorry for them?

No I listen to people that say the younger generation is the future. Then I laugh at how doomed we are, and the fact I will have no problem taking over the remains of wasteland.
Jan 6, 2013 7:13 AM

Aug 2012
-Miyu- said:
I feel sorry for the older generations.

Feels like this, cuz I wan't mama and papa to play video games and enjoy tech with me.
Jan 6, 2013 7:17 AM

Mar 2011
You kids nowadays don't know how lucky you are!

Back in my day we had to work in the coal mines until 5am, and then we left again at 3am! We had to live in a shoe box in the middle of the road, AND WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES!!

Kids nowadays.
Jan 6, 2013 7:22 AM
May 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:

Back in my day we had to work in the coal mines until 5am, and then we left again at 3am! We had to live in a shoe box in the middle of the road, AND WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES!!

Kids nowadays.
Damn. Are you like 200 years old?

See? This is why we should feel sorry for the older generations, not the younger generations.
Jan 6, 2013 7:42 AM

Nov 2008
The only time I feel sorry for the younger generations is when I see how unrealistically high the school standards are now and the fact they have to pass the standardized test to go on to the next grade.

Jan 6, 2013 7:53 AM

Apr 2011
I sometimes envy them, because they get to live longer most of the time.
Jan 6, 2013 8:01 AM

Nov 2008
Nidstang said:
I sometimes envy them, because they get to live longer most of the time.

Not so much this generation due to obesity, it's out of control and worldwide not just the US of A.

Jan 6, 2013 8:27 AM
Dec 2012
rederoin said:
drinkbeer said:
George Orwell -
- Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.

/thread

Funny thing is, I spend most of my time inside when I was younger, and i'm the same age as the OP.

rederoin said:

We might have the same age but that's the difference between you and me and that's why you are the way you are
Jan 6, 2013 8:35 AM

Aug 2008
I'll tell my grandkids about all of you guys, and we'll all be heroes. "Wow grandpa! You were on the internet before 2000? How was that even possible?"
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jan 6, 2013 9:43 AM

Apr 2007
Short answer, not really. Long answer:
Jan 6, 2013 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
Welcome to the Future

The Planet is advancing, they're probably gonna make IPads that can be rolled up. What these younger generations should hope for are more Rare Earth Elements (Use to make IPods, Androids, Laptops, etc) and at a fair price like China. Australia is expensive, and they're searching for alternative sources but sooner or later they'll gonna run out.

I'll be dead by the time that happens, so yes I feel bad.
Jan 6, 2013 9:50 AM

Jun 2012
think you should feel sorry about how the older generations were if you use the coal mining example that infinite ryvius used
http://www.historyhome.co.uk/peel/factmine/childmin.htm

theres also the fact that people have imperfect memories (ie if you have a cognitive bias you can change your memories by believing something is true when it was clearly false) you can test this out by sticking a childhood photo of your parents on a circus and then asking them about that day. They'll make up details about an event that didn't occur because rationalistically it has empirical evidence (you have the photo)

Illusory superiority has been found in studies comparing memory self-report, such as Schmidt, Berg & Deelman's research in older adults. This study involved participants aged between 46 and 89 years of age comparing their own memory to that of peers of the same age group, 25-year-olds and their own memory at age 25. This research showed that participants exhibited illusory superiority when comparing themselves to both peers and younger adults, however the researchers asserted that these judgements were only slightly related to age.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1076/1382-5585(199912)06:04;1-B;FT288
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jan 6, 2013 9:54 AM

Dec 2011
I feel they're lucky they were born later than me, because I'll be frikkin' dead before them. Unless they jump under a truck.
Jan 6, 2013 3:03 PM

Jan 2013
-Miyu- said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Kids nowadays.
Damn. Are you like 200 years old?

See? This is why we should feel sorry for the older generations, not the younger generations.

hahahahaa !! class!!

but every 50 years or so is going to say the same thing... when the 'kids' have there own 'kids' they will say the same thing..
but tbh would you kill be be a few year younger? and just think if you were half your age and look at what you had to look farward to?

Jan 6, 2013 3:06 PM

Apr 2012
I feel sorry for OP.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 6, 2013 3:09 PM

Dec 2009
I feel sorry for them because they don't realize how soon their youth will be over.
Ara ara.
Jan 7, 2013 4:42 PM

Sep 2012
if the next generation is enjoying there "stuff" why should it matter to u, unless of course the things they do are illegal

Jan 9, 2013 10:39 AM

Jan 2011
I do agree I miss the days when I went outside with my pokemon deck and battled every one in the neighborhood.
Jan 9, 2013 10:41 AM

Sep 2011
A little
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jan 9, 2013 10:42 AM

Nov 2012
I feel sorry for Not_Biased and his complete and utter ignorance.
Jan 9, 2013 10:54 AM

Mar 2012
Iri said:
Everyone should read and enjoy this post. Well said, Iri.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Dec 2007
Post-Josh said:
Iri said:

That was a good read and I agree with the message.
Jan 9, 2013 12:10 PM

Jun 2012
drinkbeer said:
George Orwell -

Thread should have been closed after this.
Jan 9, 2013 12:19 PM

Sep 2011
As for music tastes? Well I just say lol. Sux for the new generation with mainstream being at an all time low.
Wait for the next guy who compares the generations:

Each generation has it's good and bad. It's just the internet which is the latest problem(along with more spoiled kids than usual) which is exposing children to many things they shouldn't be exposed to, and it's creating more shut-ins than previous generations. The good is information and also cultural awareness are booming for people who don't normally talk to other races. You can live in nowhereville and still talk to people from around the world. Violent games have already been around for a while now, so that can't be used for this new generation only.

It's bad in a way that many are avoiding contact with other people irl but then again I think many in the new generation are going to keep getting smarter with information at their fingertips.
Kids like this will begin to emerge

Is it good or bad? I have mixed feelings but the information, entertainment, and stress relief for all ages that it carries, weighs a lot.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Jan 9, 2013 1:16 PM

Dec 2009
Just saw this:
Game play video: Grandmother (75) playing Mario with grandchildren
http://nicoviewer.net/sm19755605
Jan 9, 2013 1:48 PM

Aug 2012
Post-Josh said:
Iri said:
A good read, thanks.
*insert respectful reaction gif that I wish I could insert here*
Jan 9, 2013 1:51 PM

Sep 2009
Not_Biased said:
Younger generations are growing up as lackluster individuals with no real character, other than the ones they play in perverted and violent videogames and the fake auto-tuned artists they download to their ipods.

Everyone wants to pretend like the digital era is so glamorous but I know realistically it’s the very foundation that is killing everyone inside.
When I was younger I used to actually go outside and enjoy the fresh air. Whatever happened to the good old times? I used to play out with about 10 friends on bikes.
It’s really sad but I’m afraid that’s what society has turned into for these little kids and the old childhood routine we used to have when we were little will never come back.

A phone, laptop, ipod, car. They want it all.

Sorry kids but a few years from now when you’re 70 the only fascinating story you’ll be able to tell your grandchildren is when you switched to the new facebook profile.

Hold on a moment, while I climb on to my moral high horse.

Ah, there we go.

*AHEM*

"Too right good sir, too right indeed!"

HYAA!!!

*kicks horse and rides off into the sunset...

AnnoKanoJan 9, 2013 3:09 PM
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jan 9, 2013 4:38 PM
Jun 2008
Not_Biased said:
Younger generations are growing up as lackluster individuals with no real character, other than the ones they play in perverted and violent videogames and the fake auto-tuned artists they download to their ipods.

Everyone wants to pretend like the digital era is so glamorous but I know realistically it’s the very foundation that is killing everyone inside.
When I was younger I used to actually go outside and enjoy the fresh air. Whatever happened to the good old times? I used to play out with about 10 friends on bikes.
It’s really sad but I’m afraid that’s what society has turned into for these little kids and the old childhood routine we used to have when we were little will never come back.

A phone, laptop, ipod, car. They want it all.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people will think their generation is better than the one that came after them. It will always be a repeating pattern.

I loved 8-bit graphics, arcades, VHS & cassette tapes, browsing aisle after aisle for action figures at Toys "R" Us, watching BraveStarr and Defenders of the Earth, playing outside all day long with friends by creating our own games, etc. That was the shit.

Do I feel sorry for the younger generation? I just say 'fuck the younger generation' and revel in my fading retro memories.
Jan 9, 2013 4:45 PM

Feb 2009
Oh I DO feel sad for the younger generations (to me that is anyone from 35 and under as that is what I call 'younger').

I feel sad, because I KNOW the sad state of this planet (regardless of who's fault it is), and at my age, it is getting less and less important to fret as I am getting less and less likely to be around long enough to suffer as much as a lot of you might.

If you are 35, it might mean limited reasons to care about retirement.
If you are 25, it might mean limited reasons to care about survival.
If you are 15, well chances are you are still too young to realize you might be totally fucked.

The next 50 years could well be genuinely progressively horrible. Hey don't think it can't happen. I am sure people in 1910 were unprepared for WW1, WW2, Korea, The cold war, and several nasty moments in time like the Indo Pakistan war and the middle east's wars. You can do a lot of things in just 50 years.

And all the things happening to the planet, well, you can't just declare peace and they all go away.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Jan 9, 2013 6:39 PM

Nov 2011
Lesley_Roberta said:
Oh I DO feel sad for the younger generations (to me that is anyone from 35 and under as that is what I call 'younger').

I feel sad, because I KNOW the sad state of this planet (regardless of who's fault it is), and at my age, it is getting less and less important to fret as I am getting less and less likely to be around long enough to suffer as much as a lot of you might.

If you are 35, it might mean limited reasons to care about retirement.
If you are 25, it might mean limited reasons to care about survival.
If you are 15, well chances are you are still too young to realize you might be totally fucked.

The next 50 years could well be genuinely progressively horrible. Hey don't think it can't happen. I am sure people in 1910 were unprepared for WW1, WW2, Korea, The cold war, and several nasty moments in time like the Indo Pakistan war and the middle east's wars. You can do a lot of things in just 50 years.

And all the things happening to the planet, well, you can't just declare peace and they all go away.

Any arguments as to why the world would go to shit? Otherwise those are nothing but baseless statements.

Jan 9, 2013 6:43 PM
Mar 2012
Kazeshini said:
I honestly share the same thoughts.

It also comes down to a parenting. I understand it would be difficult as these kids are easily exposed to digital drugs everywhere they look, but parents need to be strict and not let their kids fall deeper into societies nonsense.

That's basically the root of all problems with the "younger generation"
Take away their Ipod, Twitter, Facebook page and whatya got? Just kids who need better guidance and parenting.
Jan 9, 2013 6:45 PM

Jun 2009
drinkbeer said:
George Orwell -

This is pretty much all that needs to be said so....why is this thread still going on?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 9, 2013 6:51 PM

Apr 2009
I miss going mulberry bush picking. I do not miss almost drowning in a pool at that birthday party...

But in general, I loved my non-electronic moments of playing as a kid and do hope all kids at least experience some of that fun. Then I hear about elementary schools getting rid of recess as it's a waste of time to them. I feel sorry for younger generations because, with all the things to fear out there, kids don't do much now.

Everyone around me, young and old, still think I'm silly for insisting on not getting a smartphone but I don't want to be like those I see around me doing whatever on their phones everywhere from dinner to parties to (ugh) movie theaters.

Not that I'm one of those people who go hiking and snowboarding every weekend but I like to look up and away from electronics every once in a while.

Jan 9, 2013 6:56 PM
Nov 2010
insan3soldiern said:
drinkbeer said:
George Orwell -

This is pretty much all that needs to be said so....why is this thread still going on?
Because OP was successful.
Jan 9, 2013 7:21 PM

Apr 2011
Well- I'm sure gonna feel bad that they didn't watch the old things we watched and played....
Jan 9, 2013 7:54 PM

Dec 2011
Shuhan said:
drinkbeer said:
George Orwell -

Thread should have been closed after this.
insan3soldiern said:
drinkbeer said:
George Orwell -

Is there a reason why you'd like to see thought and discussion repressed so badly? Just curious, though it's a little ironic.
Jan 9, 2013 8:26 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Yeah, poor younger generations. They won't have your amazing childhood and they won't grow up like you did... poor them, really *cries*

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jan 10, 2013 12:23 AM
Dec 2007
drinkbeer said:
George Orwell -

I agree with this statement. Although I can sympathize with you about the younger generation missing out on all the things and values that we had, the same can be said reversed...

We'll always try to reminisce about how things were better in our days, just like our older generation. But standards change. Hell, I still think about my first video game console being n64. Their's is the freaken 360. We call Super Mario 64 a classic legend, they call Halo 3 a legend. It's a difference of opinion in terms of what you grew up with. Think about it with cell phones. I didn't get my first flip phone until I was in high school. Now a lot of elementary school kids even have smart phones. It's an ever changing environment, if you can't adapt with the new standards and values, you're gonna be one of the old grumpy people who keep complaining how things were better in your days :) . And I don't know about you, but you can't complain about people not going outside to play when I can bet you the majority of these people on these forums probably don't...
Jan 10, 2013 12:41 AM

Nov 2011
Not really. In a way I'm envious. They're growing up with better and continually growing technology while still able to go to the park across the street. They have access to songs from Beethoven to the Beatles and so on and everyday probably learning something new and different in the schools. I mean when I was in Elementary school we still classified Pluto as a planet, but now kids would laugh at that thought. It's not like the outside world is foreign to the new generation; I see kids going out and having a good time while still being able to enjoy what technology offers. Isn't that what clubs/extra curricular activities are for as well at school? Now maybe technology has made us lazier in a lot of ways, but it has done a lot for us too.

I know when I was watching anime in middle school I had no one I could talk to about it. Then the internet came about and I was able to converse with fellow people like everyone here with the same interests in one forum. So my answer will be an indecisive meh.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jan 10, 2013 12:49 AM

Jun 2011
yeah cuz they wont have great music like my generation did. OR TOMOGACHIS OR KENAN AND KALE OR HEY ARNOLD
#90sKID
#SUBLIME
#NYSNC
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What is your favorite Lovecraft story?

Absurdo_N - Jun 21

21 by Lucifrost »»
13 minutes ago

» How many pizza slices can you eat at a time?

tsukareru - Yesterday

32 by JaniSIr »»
38 minutes ago

» Do you go to anime conventions?

spaceslut - Mar 11, 2022

37 by DesuMaiden »»
44 minutes ago

» Which Dere Type Would You Most Want To Date ?

Crystepsi - 2 hours ago

2 by TheBlockernator »»
1 hour ago

» How to not be worried about something

vasipi4946 - Jun 20

27 by traed »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.