Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spy Classroom (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 30, 2023 7:39 PM

Dec 2022
season 2 announcement when
this show makes me comfy
Mar 30, 2023 8:08 PM
Nov 2022
The episode was okay I guess.

It's not a super epic season finale and in fact it could have been one from the middle of the season but at least it shows a little of the development that the protagonists have had.

What happened in the end? a cliffhanger to go read the LN or something like that? I really doubt it's going to have a second season but if it does I'm not complaining xd.

Grete>>>>>>>>>>>other girls.
Mar 30, 2023 8:16 PM

Apr 2015
Despite the overwhelming disappointment of the fans, I really did enjoy this show for what it was.
Mar 30, 2023 8:51 PM
Aug 2022
This episode was okay but the cliffhanger definitely guarantee the Announcement of Season 2.
the ending was indeed left me with excitement.
let's see the announcement on 7th April
Mar 30, 2023 10:54 PM
Oct 2019
I really enjoying this non linear storytelling. i see most people are upset about it.

cool story about saving the Meat Pie Restaurant.

Nice cliffhanger with a twist from Thea.

Seiyuu list was definitely the strongest point from this Anime, their chemistry between each other is just good.

Overall is decent Season 1.
6/10

Mar 30, 2023 11:02 PM
Jan 2018
Oh, so the seductress spy is actually a traitor?!
Mar 31, 2023 12:03 AM
Jul 2021
DedPanda said:
Marinate1016 said:
Well thank God this catastrophe of an adaptation is finally done. The actual source material itself is not the best, but it’s a fun read and a pretty interesting story. All the mystique and interest of the world was completely absent from this anime. Feel turned in one of the biggest disaster classes I’ve seen.

As for the episode itself, like I speculated last week mainly anime original leading to the cliffhanger that is the end of volume 2. Seems like they set up a second season(hope not), but depends on how LN sales went.

Pacing was the biggest turnoff. Adapting the side stories after speed running volume 1 just felt really weird. Volume 2 was actually a pretty good adaptation, but by that point it was too late.

He knows the sauce and is not amused. I can always rely on a solid comparison from ya. I felt like this was so all over the place after the initial spurt.

Ikr, i see him and KANLe09(the one with Bocchi pfp) everywhere and feel like they always have very solid and reasonable takes everytime
Mar 31, 2023 1:42 AM
Dec 2019
The anime itself was pretty fine imo. Solid 7/10, so average. The cast was hugely stacked though

Really glad they announced another cour as this cliffhanger ending (the scene after the ending) would have been annoying to end on
Mar 31, 2023 6:21 AM

Mar 2021
Feel like we are in another classroom of the elite and tanmoshi thread again. The hate is definitely not deserved.
Mar 31, 2023 6:27 AM
Nov 2022
So what happened in the end? Did Thea actually betray them?
Mar 31, 2023 7:59 AM

Jun 2021
So it ended. They even have a cliffhanger. I don't know if they will be having a second season or cour. But I'm not looking forward to it. 5/10
Mar 31, 2023 10:22 AM

Apr 2016
This was disappointing . I liked the light novel but this adaptation was pretty bad . All the filler episodes was horrible
Final Score 5/10

Mar 31, 2023 10:59 AM
Sep 2016
What an absolute shit-stain of a series.

I pray to god that the rumors about a S2 are wrong, don't spend any more time on this dumpster fire
Mar 31, 2023 12:04 PM

Dec 2018
this show seemed like it would be interesting, but it ended up being painfully boring and a chore to sit through.
Mar 31, 2023 2:08 PM

Apr 2010
Great anime. 

The way they incorporated the SS1 volume stories (what people call fillers aren't actually not fillers at all) was super clever as they enriched the character relationships faster, giving roles to some that barely had a role until later.

8/10

Hyped for s2 that was always planned from the get go, to make a adaptation of the first part of the series (vol 1-4), hence they had time to adapt more stories (ss volumes stuff) into it by having 24 episodes to work with. Leaks about this being a 2 cour. with the 2nd cour ending with vol 4 have been going around for months. 
TiagoCostaMar 31, 2023 2:11 PM
Mar 31, 2023 5:07 PM

Oct 2022
Crocospect22 said:
SuperAdventure said:
What? Was that? A random episode they helping some shlep keep his sausage shop open, meanwhile Klaus not even there? It says episode 12/12. Either they're planning a Part 2 or it's the worst ending I actually saw. And why do they keep dragging out the thing with Grete/Klaus. If he doesn't want to date anyone then that's a case closed. I hope if they do a second season they find some better writers.

Part 2 is already announced on their official twitter account, the series is actually quite popular in Japan (Well mostly the light novel) so it makes sense but damn they kinda ruined the adaptation..

Yeah I gotta confess I don't follow their twitter account.... I am glad the funding for the 2nd part/cour is already in place, because nothing would be worse than THIS kind of ending. I feel like this was pretty entertaining in the first 6 or so episodes; but the decision to each episode about each girl was only going to be as good as each girl's story was interesting. Grete's story kind of drags it down. Even in a 24 episode run this 12th would still be a low point. If watching this as a CGDCT anime it's fine, trying to expect a deep plot could only disappoint.
Mar 31, 2023 10:50 PM
May 2022
I honestly don’t see or understand the need for the mad amount of hate this is getting. I definitely see the pacing issues (and I do find it immensely stupid the way the episodes were structured all over the place chronologically) but it was still a fun watch every week for me, and I don’t think all the hate is that warranted. Better shows definitely exist, but I enjoyed my time with this one and think the hate is kind of overkill for what it deserves, and I’ll still be watching the second cour if we get one
Apr 1, 2023 2:10 AM

Nov 2012
It was ok.
For me it looked like Monika was trying to protect the team from Thea, I hope its just a misunderstanding or some dumb stuff like double mission or some past issues.

Edit: nvm, read some wiki info and probably got the right plot about the start of s2.
knktzvraApr 1, 2023 2:29 AM

My Candies:

Apr 1, 2023 3:39 AM

Feb 2022
Ohhhh that cliffhanger at the end! I hope they have enough source material for the second season!
Apr 1, 2023 8:51 AM

Jul 2014
Ok we finished and it seems not that great of an improvement. Enjoyed some stuff here and there but overall it needed a lot of work especially in the pacing part

5/10
Apr 1, 2023 11:31 AM

Jan 2021
It was an alright episode, everyone was happy that they got vacation when Klaus left lmao. 

I'm actually happy that Grete cared so much about that shop and wanted to help the old man, she even thought of a plan, guess their vacation got taken over by an mission. 

Wow that cliffhanger though, I didn't expect that. 
Apr 1, 2023 12:26 PM
Aug 2022
I deadass had high hopes for this but my god did it fail to deliver in every aspect.
Apr 1, 2023 6:18 PM

Jan 2022
YOOOOO, THE MEAT PIE ARC WAS FIRE :fire:, hope they do that more, still in this flash back fashion, very epic. I guess they could have make it better, the mix between cool spy things, story pacing and SoL moments were a bit off troughough, but the universe itself and the characters aren't too bad, just a few that we didn't get a lot of screen time. If they really are gonna announce a season 2 soon it could always work out if they put more effort into it.
I like everything, ok
Apr 1, 2023 7:20 PM

Oct 2022
AnExistingPerson said:
I honestly don’t see or understand the need for the mad amount of hate this is getting. I definitely see the pacing issues (and I do find it immensely stupid the way the episodes were structured all over the place chronologically) but it was still a fun watch every week for me, and I don’t think all the hate is that warranted. Better shows definitely exist, but I enjoyed my time with this one and think the hate is kind of overkill for what it deserves, and I’ll still be watching the second cour if we get one

I am baffled by all the hate this gets. Like maybe if the story was controversial, or the direction was bad, or the characters & backgrounds were ugly... 
But none of those is true. The cast is all likable including Klaus (maybe with the exception of Thea she's gross), the characters are all cute and well designed; the interactions between them especially Lilly + Klaus or Annette + Erna (my favorite) are entertaining and fun. The only real problem is the pacing and the lack of coherent timeline... but anyone who watched enough Fate couldn't be phased by that,  so I don't know why the hate unless it's just people jumping on the hate wagon with everyone else. But like if you think something is bad but entertaining there's a reason to watch it. But actively hating it= don't watch. Come into every thread just to dump on an anime... yeesh... 
It's not like I do that to AOT fans...........
Apr 2, 2023 10:32 AM

Aug 2020
Okay, they managed to save the pie stall. It was interesting to see the process, but considering how it ended there is a possibility of a second season. Ending with a cliffhanger is a clue.

It was a fine anime, even though it had some whatever moments. They could make some better use of the cast, I hope they solve this.

Apr 2, 2023 11:54 AM

Sep 2020
Ok ending, but it's overall not that good, Lily is the only character I like and probably one of the few things I enjoy watching in the series.
Apr 2, 2023 12:25 PM

Jan 2011
this was by far one of my biggest disappointments for a series and for sure for winter,  it was truly powered by  the char desgin (Lily) and my saving grace knowing that  Tomari's art  will translate well with the shiny colours IdolMas anime lol  extra toppings with how big the VA cast was

im not gonna rant about how bad this was i just wish it was more SoL and Boss-sun  wasn't in he is just a grey sue for the hell of it and takes far too much of the spotlight even for a mentor role i legit didn't know he was gonna be so much of the focus instead of the girls 

5/10 for the actual plot 
7/10 for the chars/art  mainly Lily 
Apr 4, 2023 9:56 AM

May 2018
No, please don't have a sudden plot twist at the end. No one's going to watch a potential season 2.

4/10
Apr 4, 2023 10:26 AM

Jul 2021
it became unexpectedly good in second half. does the cliffhanger ending mean we can expect a second season?

i initially put it on hol after watching 3 episodes as it was incredibly boring and now i wnated to finish my left over animes before new season starts so i started watching this again and honestly this wasn't all bad. the girls made it up for it majory especially greta. best waifu of this anime.

overall, 7/10.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 5, 2023 7:30 AM

Jan 2023
The characters are all quite good
I love them all
But I wish this wasn't about spies or shadow war stuff like that because it didn't felt that serious when it came to that
I bet it would have been one of the best anime of the season if it wasn't for that
It wasn't what I expected
But I don't really hate it too
I might feel lazy to watch s2 but I will give it a watch if it does release
But this anime three times unexpectedly made me feel dumbfounded
When I found out they had eight members actually
When I found out the four members Klaus took with him weren't actually Lily , grete, Sibylla and Sara
And Monika telling Thea to betray Lamplight
Anyone who binge watches this anime will get bored to death, taking time will not make it too boring
-_-)

Apr 7, 2023 4:50 AM

May 2021
You would think Klaus saying appropriate amounts of certain ingredients would hamper their cooking and maybe even have the taste become bad but nope, it's super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Also, I dunno why they showed Lily as the main girl when it's clearly Grete.

And now we already have S2. Now that the "characterization" is out of the way, it might be better...?

Apr 11, 2023 1:19 AM

Jan 2017
For the first 5 girls backstory we get on this season 1 part 1 of the show, Grethe got a surprising amount of episodes dedicated solely for her.

Time to wait another 3 months for Thea's, Monika's and Annette's backstories I guess
Apr 11, 2023 8:41 PM

Nov 2009
So... they're doing spy work to save a Pie Shop.

LOL

Lilly's acting is funny as always.

___ ___ ___

LOL @ Grete trying to make everything Klaus say/ do as "proposing to her".

Also, I just realized that Klaus went on a vocation... but didn't take any girls (including Grete) with him... (but they still called him to ask for the Recipe, with "the right amount" lol) (another of Klaus's "it just works")

Hehe @ the pie Swapping... guess they gave up on trying to make the real pie.

And I can already tell Klaus probably already figured out what the girls were doing when they asked for the Recipe.

___ ___ ___

Well, looks like the story will continue, with normal chronological time-line this time?
amlgApr 11, 2023 8:46 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 19, 2023 5:29 AM

Jan 2014
so they played amongus as a cliffhanger?
Apr 21, 2023 4:28 AM

Aug 2013
Lily's acting is the best part for me. Always humorous.

They had to end it on a cliffhanger, didn't they? At least the second season isn't far off.

Apr 24, 2023 8:29 AM

Mar 2013
Lamplight's in action! Grete is becoming more of a leader than Lily...
Lily looks more like a carefree character than when I saw her trying to kill Klaus in the earlier episodes...
Grete mostly have the character development for this season while Lily got some as well, and lastly, Erna.

For now, I will miss the girls carefree and wholesome SoL with some Spy routine.
Klaus really needs to step up to create a new family with Lamplight and create a harem... Ehehehe
I'm glad for Grete. I will be looking forward for that harem... I do hope there's some...
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 29, 2023 5:25 PM

Jul 2015
Overall, had some potential at the start where tbh I enjoyed some moments but was quite disappointed in things such as the irregular pacing and time jumps to all these sidestories

Aug 14, 2023 3:29 PM

Feb 2012
The series as a whole had a slow start and middle, but I liked this arc, even the after-story where everyone uses their skills to resolve a domestic problem.
Thea was the actual impostor.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 28, 2023 12:40 AM

Sep 2011
Loved it! The way they presented all the characters, it was a enjoyable journey. And I love the twist in the end. I wonder if Teach could tell that there was a mole on the team the entire time. Can’t wait to see the next season and without a doubt, Lily is my fav.
Vandelay Industries, this is George Can’t-Stand-Ya speaking, how may I assist you?
Feb 12, 4:58 AM

Mar 2015
Damn, I want some meat pie now.

I didn't expect that ending, it could be bait, but I still want to know the context of it. Will be watching S2.

The show was not that enjoyable, but bearable at least. The second half of the season was better for me. 6/10
Apr 23, 12:01 PM
Aug 2017
Seems to be an unpopular opinion but I really enjoyed the show. I guess having already read the novels + watching at my own pace, rather than on a weekly schedule played some part in that.

The timeline juggling was obviously highly controversial, and I don't think it was perfect either, but in fairness to the animators, volume 1 of the novels is literally impossible to accurately adapt to a visual medium. The problem for them here is that the "twist" of there actually being 8 not 7 girls isn't just played on the bad guys, it's played on the readers of the novel too. Changing to a visual medium makes it impossible to retain that with a straight adaptation, so they either have to make big changes - as they decided to do here through reordering the material - or just give up on the twist, which basically changes the genre of the story and the author's intentions and I feel like it'd make the ending to arc 1 fall really flat. I would be interested in seeing what a completely straight adaptation would look like, but as far as the first approach goes, I think they made a pretty decent attempt at it. The one change I'd make is I don't think there were enough visual indicators when we were jumping back/forwards in time, just a bit more on-screen text to highlight this would have helped a lot.

Also aside from the Erna episode, all the other pre-mission 1 side stories they put in out of order are told later in the novels too anyway. I think at the time this aired the side story volume may not have come out in English so even the novel readers didn't realise it wasn't filler. I think adding these in this manner was actually quite a good way to segue into the second arc, giving the characters featured in it a bit more of an introduction than they otherwise would.

Second arc itself was really good, can't see any reason to complain about it. Looking forward to watching S2 now and glad I can binge it as I think it's the best way to experience Spy Classroom - I know I always blitz through the novels when I get my hands on a new volume.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spy Kyoushitsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2023

62 by vaindied »»
Mar 6, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Spy Kyoushitsu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2023

62 by adbeaver »»
Feb 12, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Spy Kyoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2023

42 by adbeaver »»
Feb 12, 2:46 AM

Poll: » Spy Kyoushitsu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2023

52 by adbeaver »»
Feb 10, 4:02 AM

Poll: » Spy Kyoushitsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2023

62 by adbeaver »»
Feb 8, 8:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.