Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 10, 2021 9:37 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
MAL literally had an average of 10 once a few years back.

Please. :joy:
Apr 10, 2021 10:23 PM

Sep 2019
5.5/10, I don't hate or love it, and it could be way better with some minor improvements.
Apr 12, 2021 2:33 PM

Aug 2014
The Website is good, better than IMDB for example, and better than many other websites in terms of being functional and useful and cool place to view or read or talk about Anime. Or even meet Anime Fans. It is 7/10. One of the good websites.
Apr 12, 2021 2:49 PM

Apr 2020
its database update speed is underrated

Apr 12, 2021 4:12 PM

May 2013
MAL's biggest saving grace is what you have to directly compare it to. The people here are... A special sort... But in other animanga-centric places it's even worse.

The site itself is fine tho. Besides the approval rate for manga, it's horrendous. Idk about anime, that at least seems swift enough.
Apr 12, 2021 4:41 PM
Jun 2017
Putting the community aside, I'd give MAL a 7 since it is a great database and rating website. The big reason it isn't going higher is the lack of quality of life improvements. Why is it that the only place you can easily search for certain tags while excluding others is seasonal anime (where it is most useless to be able to do both at once)? Also, why can't I view titles in advance search in grid format? Small stuff like this really adds up when you want to search more specifically.

The mobile website gets a 5 though since features are outright removed and others are inconsistently available. First of all, why is advanced search missing from the site? Why can I sort series normally in some places (like in seasonal anime) but need to go into desktop mode for a bit to sort in other places (like in a studio's page)? Why is there no search all function, just search a specific category? Why does the mobile app ad banner often break the search bar? Why is the name of a series on its own page a link to the same page (which makes copying the series' name more annoying, especially if it has an alternate title listed too)? Why is there no "All" category for anime/manga lists? Why is there no sorting for anime/manga lists without the use of desktop mode? Why do filters not exist or work (even with the help of desktop mode) for anime/manga lists? The list of issues goes on and on. I remember there even being horrendous invisible on-click (on-tap) ads for the mobile site back in the day which made it almost unusable. The app better fix these issues since the mobile site certainly isn't improving.

Overall, MAL has issues, but still isn't a bad site by any means.
Apr 12, 2021 4:58 PM

Jan 2020
8/10

Good: Diverse taste and good argument, every anime could get criticized, Ratings are 80% accurate and useful , Casual Discussion , Recommendations forums , and Forum Games
Bad : Bots, repetitive anime discussion titles,Aot fanbase being Noisy af
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Apr 12, 2021 10:40 PM

Sep 2020
3/10

need more huntertards genocide
Apr 12, 2021 11:15 PM
Jan 2020
8/10. Missing various little functionalities but I'm content with the site.
Apr 12, 2021 11:36 PM

Oct 2017
I use MAL mostly to remember in which episode I stopped each anime, keep score so I can easily recommend good shows to people, find new anime to watch and to troll some nerds around.

10/10 working as intended.

Everything else that you like or dislike that is your problem not the website.
Apr 13, 2021 12:10 AM
Jul 2018
I think MAL seems to be a great sight to keep track of your anime, and talk to friends here. But the forums are...not good. The only times people seem to reply to each other on the threads, to start a discussion, is when they want to argue, and/or insult/be passive aggressive. It seems that only (mostly) emotionally provocative posts get replies here. There are so many times when I replied to other users in a friendly manner, but never got a reply from them. TO CLARIFY: I'm not saying anyone is obligated to reply to other people. There's nothing wrong with not replying to other people. But in my opinion, a thread fails to be engaging, when almost no one on the thread actually wants to, you know, discuss.
Apr 13, 2021 12:53 AM

Aug 2012
I gave it a 6 because I have to keep track of my manhwa reading elsewhere because MAL's database for manhwa is sub-par. Other than that, I do have a few minor complaints, but not many.
Apr 13, 2021 1:04 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
to my surprise so many voted 7, gave it a 6 because it only looks different from what it was on 2012-2013 but is essentially the same as per my experience using the site. #giveusdarkmode
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Apr 13, 2021 1:10 AM

Apr 2015
I will give MAL scores 7/10 which is the average rating here in MAL.
Apr 13, 2021 1:30 AM

May 2019
I'll give it an 8. It has a simplistic layout that's easy to follow, it can store my anime, and keeps track of every episode I watch. Honestly, that's about all I need . The reasons I gave it an 8 are: a good amount of users can be hella toxic, there's a crazy amount of bot accounts here, there's no tutorial function for the newcomers (so they end up learning the rules the hard way), and MAL doesn't really pay a lot of attention to improving the site either.
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Apr 13, 2021 1:33 AM
Aug 2016
Sites main purpose "my anime list" to keep track of stuff you read and watch.. mostly, korean and chinese comics with tens of millions readers dont get added to the database because they dont follow the websites random guidelines making you have to create other list somewhere effectively defeating any reason to come here at all.

3/10
Apr 20, 2021 5:54 AM

Dec 2020
I think it deserves an 8/10, it made it so much easier to track my animes, got lots of great recommendation and there are a lot of fun people I got to meet here too. The forum games, challenges and discussions are also really good. My only problem is the website crashing every week, that's kinda annoying but otherwise, I don't think there is anything else that bothers me.
𝙵𝚘𝚛𝚞𝚖 𝚂𝚎𝚝 𝚋𝚢 𝙽𝚊𝚝𝚎 | 𝙳𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜
[/center]
Apr 20, 2021 6:04 AM
Jul 2020
I think MAL is almost perfect. Which is why I gave it 9. One criticism I have is the use of bots by diehard fandoms to excessively boost the ranking of shows. I hate that.
Apr 20, 2021 6:11 AM

Mar 2021
7 well minus one point for the incomplete database
Minus one point for the mobile site programing cause every time I go the settings or notification it gets switched to the desktop site.
Minus one point for the reply errors.
Apr 20, 2021 6:55 AM
Oct 2015
7.00 to 7.99 would be quite deserving. The UI sucks compared to others, but the DB is overwhelming.
I use MAL only, cause it has the biggest number of Hentai (personal reason).
Apr 20, 2021 8:15 AM

Jul 2020
If you were to ask me, I'd give MAL an 8/10 at least
Apr 20, 2021 8:19 AM

Aug 2018
nine out of ten, pretty useful website
Apr 20, 2021 11:21 PM

Aug 2019
I love how most people voted 7/10, which is just so perfect, since that's the most common rating on people's anime lists.

Anyway, I gotta vote 6/10. The UI is intuitive as shit and super user-customizable, while the amount of detail a single anime list can contain about each entry is frankly gobstopping. I mean, you can even pick what storage solution you watched it on, that's fucking crazy. If you know CSS, you can even code your own lists so they look amazing. No other service - whether it be Kitsu, whether it be AniList, whether it be AniDB - can beat MAL's user-oriented nature. It's like Android—customizability is number one, and I love that. After all, this isn't just anyone's list... it's MyAnimeList.

On the other hand, the community's got a way to improve, and the fact that a good majority of the staff are unpaid, overworked volunteers puts a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm fine with MAL Rewrite being volunteer work, since frankly speaking, it's not that difficult, but forum moderators are worked like horses and are given nothing in return for it other than thanklessness and dozens of hate comments on their profile. The toxicity of the users is also something we really need to work on, given how there are still many among us who are unironically gatekeeping and hazing newer folk.

On my anime list, 6/10 stands for "Mm.. yeah, I enjoyed it a little less than I would have liked, but I'm sure somebody else would love it." and that just about describes MAL.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - 10 hours ago

25 by animegamer245 »»
10 minutes ago

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

39 by funkykick123 »»
11 minutes ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - May 29

33 by EpicO4 »»
17 minutes ago

» Favorite Sports Anime ?

tchitchouan - May 25

24 by animejas »»
29 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - May 29

39 by animejas »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.