Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Those White Notes
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 9, 2021 8:54 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah the opening played by burnout syndrome with a shamisen background. Thats just marvelous. The ed also quite grow on me. The mama got a nice voice. Loved that touching introductionary mother-son classic japanese musical play, and ending it with the superb brother duo shamisen play. Now i can already erasing the silly mama introduction before. Kek.

The second episode already stacked with such a good music elements. Can't bat an eye off with that, and can't stop amazed in the entire duration. The story already stepped up into the next stage with Setsu trying to adapt into his new school life. His decision to left the shamisen homeland mostly confusing him much, especially when you got a nice background childhood, good girl in your care. But sadly finishing it with such a melancholic through the end of the day. Ofc its confused him much.

However, when its come to the fate of the shamisen future. There is always inevitable route to get a brand new of sound, right?

Last note: the petite girl, landlord daughter, don't know why, its already catch my attention. I hope she get more screen time.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 9, 2021 8:59 PM

Dec 2020
burnout syndromes with fire op's as always. that scene where tetsu was playing with umeko singing was beautiful. i legit felt shit in my stomach, as if i was the one singing. seriously every time the shamisen is played i just can't take my eyes off the screen. not something id jam to but i very much can appreciate it. it doesn't feel like walking in an art museum where usually i feel like i Should appreciate the work but i genuinely do appreciate every sound and noise thats made when the shamisen is played
Apr 9, 2021 9:44 PM

Jul 2012
Better! I enjoyed this episode much more than the first one!
The music is so beautiful!
Apr 9, 2021 11:01 PM

Apr 2018
billybub said:
the music alone makes this a solid 9. Is it just me or is this throwing off some serious Chihayafuru vibes. Oh just saw the older brother's VA is Arata"s that would explain alot
i definitely know what you mean it's like a kono oto tomare/chihayafuru mashed vibe and i like it alot
Apr 9, 2021 11:02 PM

Apr 2018
my second favorite opening this season putting aside fruits basket
Apr 9, 2021 11:28 PM
Apr 2021
I really loved the opening song by burnout syndrome it was so great
Apr 9, 2021 11:51 PM

Mar 2008
The OP and ED are really good.

I said it before but yep... pretty sure this will be non-sequel anime of the season for me personally. Loving everything about it.
Apr 10, 2021 12:13 AM

Mar 2016
Do you have to make those hiccup noises when playing the shamisen?

I don't understand shamisen, and they really don't spend the tiniest bit of time explaining what we should learn to appreciate.

The mother was acting so inappropriately around her son. It was quite gross. Speaking of that, the teacher acting like she was attracted to Setsu was also gross.

Well, the mother had a great voice. I hope she sings again. Her song and the ED were the best parts of the episode.

They have too many monologues. The first episode should have just been about Setsu's life with his grandfather, so that the audience can build a connection with their relationship. Then, the later episodes could just use clips or dialogues from the first episode without the use of those annoying monologues.

I am trying to trust the author because of a previous story she'd made, which was quite good. But so far, this isn't that good. I am not liking any of the characters.
Apr 10, 2021 12:46 AM

Feb 2019
So far, it's interesting, but I would've liked it better if school wasn't involved at all. I hope it won't be like Kono Oto Tomare, with club problems, school competitions etc. The first episode had a different vibe and I loved it. Even the characters seemed promising and I hope we'll see them again.
Umeko was the star of this episode and it turns out that I like listening to shamisen.
Also, why does Wakana look like he's about 40? From Setsu's memories we can see that he's only a few years older.
Needless to say, the opening song is amazing!
Oh, God - the lives people try to lead. Oh, God - what a world they try to lead them in!

Apr 10, 2021 1:12 AM
Mar 2020
wow

just wow

The music is really amazing. The OP is a banger. The ED is a banger. Umeko and Setsu's performance is a banger

again, wow
Apr 10, 2021 2:11 AM

Nov 2011
Is it too early to say this my pick AotS? Maybe it is.
Anyway's I love both opening and ending songs and show's music in general, which is super rare for me. I'm enjoying the story so far, despite not watching drama anime that often. Normally I hate sudden shift of tone in animes, but Umeko's flamboyance doesn't overstay its presence.
Apr 10, 2021 2:21 AM

Jun 2019
Really good OP. So, Umeko is Setsu's mom. Pretty hot. LOL. But, damn Umeko is so good with her voice. Took me by surprise there. Ngl. I admire Setsu's big brother. He's so funny and caring. Their relationship is so adorable to watch.
Once again, I love the Shamisen. Love the way it sounds. A beautiful episode, just as good as the first one. I'm lovin' this show.
Also, the fat kitty is cute.
Apr 10, 2021 2:38 AM

May 2015
Wow, what a hot mother the bothers have, it seems likely that the best milf award goes to Umeko this season. The second episode was a lot better than the first one, not felt to be so rushed and all over the place though it it could have been better without Umoke making a scene and franatically kicking his son over a snapped string. The brothers performace just like the Tsugaru ohara boshi was great, though I would have liked them better without the inner monologues - don't talk just play that damn instrument.
IshitatesoApr 10, 2021 3:45 AM
Apr 10, 2021 2:42 AM
Jul 2018
So perfect. I can only say that. Very powerful and well-done Shamisen performances, ultra amazing VAs.
This show keeps intrigued me. OP also great.
Apr 10, 2021 3:44 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, this shit is fucking beautiful. Despite really liking episode 1 I can admit that pacing was fast as hell, this episode is paced way better.

The OP and ED are so fire, I love the Shamisen playing in those. The performances in this show is so immersive, it's really beautifully well done. Also really like the small sprinkle of comedy here and there.

Setsu is a damn lady killer though lmao. If it keeps up this kind of quality it will definitely be one of my favorites this season. Really looking forward to the next episode.
sKyBlazer08Apr 10, 2021 3:47 AM
Apr 10, 2021 4:59 AM

Sep 2011
I can't wait to hear more beautiful music from this anime. When Umeko started singing I got a rush of goosebumps and I loved the brother's song!
I want to sleep...
Apr 10, 2021 5:01 AM
Aug 2020
When setsu mother started to sing i feel like she healing my soul from the bottom of my heart
Apr 10, 2021 6:12 AM
Jul 2020
Why their Japanese sound different....is there any regional language of japan or something other....??
Apr 10, 2021 6:34 AM
Nov 2020
phantomfandom said:
I begin to ship these brothers. Please, someone, stop me from such a forbidden thought!!!

But the one who take the cake of this episode is their mother, whom, if the voice actress is the one who also sing the difficult song, then she can win all the voice actress award of this year.

I'm afraid Setsu will begin to create his own harem, we've two girls who want to get close with Setsu in this episode. So now he has at least three girls in his harem, not counting that teacher.
wtf did you just say
Apr 10, 2021 6:41 AM

Aug 2008
That was an amazing episode. The two brothers playing at the shrine, the performance with Umeko. <3 I am glad this is not disappointed me so far. When the older brother calls out to him my mind immediate went "Asahi!" and I am totally right. I am quite chuffed with myself. So excited to see the next episodes. :)
Apr 10, 2021 6:45 AM

Apr 2018
Let's take a moment to appreciate his mother.
Apr 10, 2021 6:46 AM
Oct 2020
What an amazing episode!! Got me waiting for more, one of the most interesting simulcast of the season.
Apr 10, 2021 6:56 AM

Jan 2014
That combo of him playing, and his mother singing was great honestly. I could listen to that for a number of times.
Apr 10, 2021 7:36 AM
Oct 2016
Anyone knows who performs Umeko singing voice?
Apr 10, 2021 8:07 AM

May 2015
It's going to be about a school club after all. Oh well, it's still very good. The performance of Yoshida Sawamura brothers was absolutely stunning. And the song with Umeko was interesting too. I really like the sound of this anime.
Apr 10, 2021 8:34 AM

Sep 2017
I like it more than the first ep. The music is pretty solid anyway. The one girl with the obscure interest in shamisen just happening to walk into the teachers lounge when bucko is there is a little on the nose. Coulda of come up with a more natural way for him to find out about the cliched club with no members.
Apr 10, 2021 9:21 AM
Mar 2021
OMG the music is god tier in this anime!!!
I really love the backstory and the characters. I am looking forward this show.
Apr 10, 2021 9:23 AM

Jul 2020
Dang people sleeping on this anime... great visual and the songs are awesome!
Apr 10, 2021 11:00 AM

Nov 2013
woah the music sequences are breathtaking, the story in itself is pretty average and I'm not really getting invested in it but I'm glad he met his mother even though she's kinda a bitch but at least he can keep pursuing his passion right
Apr 10, 2021 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
so good...and damn that voice Umeko especially when she was singing....
loved it...and totally in within 2 episodes...
Apr 10, 2021 11:34 AM
Jun 2019
This ep was MUCH better than the first. The drama was much better developed, and even Setsu's character seemed more interesting.

Umeko and Wakana were also very interesting, especially the brother, and the drama mixed so well with the music! If I found it shallow before, I take back what I said haha

Really, the songs were incredible, all of them: the OP, ED, and the ones played on the ep itself; monologues and visuals added even more emotion to them. I really loved the performance of the two brothers and hope to see more of Wakana.

Ah, this one can grow a lot on me. I hope they keep the school drama as interesting as I hope.
Apr 10, 2021 12:11 PM

Aug 2020
Not hate but it's like i listening at Buddha song lmao

Apr 10, 2021 12:38 PM

May 2015
rajendra_othaku said:
Why their Japanese sound different....is there any regional language of japan or something other....??

Its a Fukui accient same as Arata in Chihayafuru, whos VA coincidentally plays the older brother in this
billybubApr 10, 2021 1:43 PM
Apr 10, 2021 2:59 PM
Jun 2011
billybub said:
Its a Fukui accient same as Arata in Chihayafuru, whos VA coincidentally plays the older brother in this

It's not Fukui, it's the Tsugaru dialect. They are from Tsugaru and play Tsugaru-Jamisen. You can tell from the use of the suffix -be (typical throughout Tohoku, I think) and the way his grandpa says "higu na!" instead of "hiku na!" (Don't play!)

I know someone in the first episode thread mentioned that the Yoshida Brothers were the musical consultants for the show- I think the duet the brothers play in this episode is their song "Kodo".
Apr 10, 2021 3:02 PM

May 2015
LuckyDaikon said:
billybub said:

It's not Fukui, it's the Tsugaru dialect. They are from Tsugaru and play Tsugaru-Jamisen. You can tell from the use of the suffix -be (typical throughout Tohoku, I think) and the way his grandpa says "higu na!" instead of "hiku na!" (Don't play!)

I know someone in the first episode thread mentioned that the Yoshida Brothers were the musical consultants for the show- I think the duet the brothers play in this episode is their song "Kodo".

Ah gotcha, does sound very similar to Fukui
Apr 10, 2021 3:12 PM
Jun 2011
billybub said:

I think they do have a lot of similarities, to be fair. I don't have a great ear for dialects yet myself, but they sure are interesting!
Apr 10, 2021 3:13 PM

May 2017
I really love the focus on family in this series. Didnt't expect his older brother to play a bigger role at all.

Apart from that I can only repeat what others have been saying. The music and art are breathtaking.
So far my favourite show this season.
Apr 10, 2021 3:14 PM

Oct 2008
oh god! the OP by BURNOUT SYNDROMES was perfect! feeling the Dr Stone vibes! but synch with Shamisen was just very suitable!
as for the episode it was good as well!
i have a feeling that show is gonna get better!
5/5.

Apr 10, 2021 3:16 PM

May 2015
LuckyDaikon said:
billybub said:

I think they do have a lot of similarities, to be fair. I don't have a great ear for dialects yet myself, but they sure are interesting!

just rewatched it, Fukui has more of an eh at the end of sentences where this has an ah, but they do sound very similar to me at least
Apr 10, 2021 3:23 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
It's not perfect, but damn if it isn't entertaining AF. The OP and ED are both straight fire, and the musical performances really pull you in. I'm pretty sure I had this stupid grin on my face through the entire episode.

Littledumplingx said:
i finished kono oto tomare couple of weeks ago and i have been in desperate need of watching another music anime !! watched the first episode and was not disappointed !!! :))

Check out Kids on the Slope if you haven't already.

I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Apr 10, 2021 3:27 PM

Mar 2017
We'll this isn't a good direction at all. Very strong first episode, now goes to high school setting. Boring high school childhood friend. I miss the girl from episode 1 hope she comes back. Only good thing was Milf mom and music. I'd rather him have been travelling around doing interesting shit not going back to high school.
Apr 10, 2021 5:05 PM
Jun 2020
burnout syndrome op, umeko singing, shamisen duet. awesome
Apr 10, 2021 7:03 PM

Apr 2020
maigosh, the first episode was intense and the pacing in this1 doesn't give you a breath either!

plus OP by Burnout Syndromes is just great *´▽`*
Apr 10, 2021 9:10 PM
Mar 2015
Great song of brotherhood
That mother was a doozy of a floozie
Apr 11, 2021 5:56 PM

Jan 2021
I really love the mother's singing plus him playing!!
Apr 12, 2021 11:10 AM

Jun 2015
That song was amazing!
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 12, 2021 12:36 PM
Jun 2020
I just recently started anime and I saw screenshots of this anime which looked like some anime movie shots ngl. I mean I have rarely seen such beautiful style in regular series so I gave this one a chance. I don't get the music metaphors and I understand the classic Japanese music even less but still it's mesmerizing to watch. Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 13, 2021 2:54 AM
Sep 2016
SO GOOD

The performances are really emotional and beautiful.
Idk why some are complaining about the pacing.

Umeko is absolutely badass and pretty, and the VA is crazy with that voice.
Apr 15, 2021 3:04 AM

Jun 2007
The only problem i got with this anime is all that female harem-vibey crowd. aside from that it's good especially the music parts
oh and I hated to see a little boy being slapped. this whole boys'-of-all-ages-slapping needs to be stopped.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Apr 15, 2021 11:14 AM

May 2009
Why do brothers call their mother by her first name?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» is there a chance for season 2?

moonichild - Jun 18, 2021

14 by ssourcandy »»
Jan 30, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2021

44 by MyLadyShip »»
Aug 21, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2021

64 by Mweeee »»
Jul 29, 2023 1:09 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2021

129 by Goldentigris78 »»
May 25, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

53 by Hilomenchero »»
Sep 25, 2022 10:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.