Forum Settings
Forums

Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 25, 2021 4:45 AM

May 2018
"Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime."

Because there is a lot more older anime to choose from. And there's a recency noise - From the new ones you see mainly the hype which in some cases obfuscates the actually good stuff.
Combing through old stuff gives you more focus and more calm to judge it properly.
alshuMar 25, 2021 5:10 AM
Mar 25, 2021 6:37 AM
Sep 2018
no they are not.
there are really bad old anime and there are really good new anime.
Mar 25, 2021 6:28 PM

Jul 2020
I think back in the old days, animes weren't something extremely popular. The only way to capture people's attention is to create an excellent product. The anime has to be unique in order to compete with its Western peers. I think modern animes are the same. The industry has certainly changed within the last few years with the rise of the internet. It's more about spreadability and popularity than quality. That's why we get a lot of the same popular tropes in seasonal animes. You get quantity instead of quality. Additionally, I think art preference and technological advancement played a role as well. Each person would like distinct art styles for their needs. Animation technology had improved drastically from the 90s and so does the art style. There has been an obvious change aesthetic-wise.
Mar 25, 2021 8:33 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
Because there are old shows that are masterpieces?

Apr 27, 3:43 AM
Jul 2020
Reply to Judevin
There is no objectively better anime. It's all subjective.
Some people like old anime, some people like new one.
Can't we all just get along. Good grief.
@Judevin ur just wrong. New art is shit. New artstyle is shit. It does not have soul. its generic. Its more produced as a consumer product than a piece of art. I'm trying to pinpoint the time when anime art went downhill. This is not a subjective matter. It not just my opinion. This is the truth.
Apr 27, 3:45 AM
Jul 2020
Reply to Glordit
Imagine not watching something because it didn't come out post 2010.

What a way to limit yourself to one of the best entertainment mediums on the planet.
@Glordit I have continued to watch anime, And new series. But now I find all the new anime lacking. in art and originality. Now I have to go back to older anime. I don't know if 2010 was the year... I'll have to check. But something changed about the art. increasing reliance on digital art? Idk. .
Apr 27, 3:57 AM

Mar 2023
Because older anime at it's worst is still better than modern anime at it's best.
Apr 27, 6:15 AM

Oct 2023
Well one being better than another is subjective. With that said, seasons used to be longer and with longer seasons you could tell a story at a different pace. With 12 episode seasons you are forced to tell a story quickly and it could fail to capture a story arc, character trait, or compromise the entire plot. Animation styles have also changed, some of the older stuff, although a little more scrappy, had it's appeal.

It's a relief that some recent shows have gone back to longer seasons (ie Frieren and SpyxFamily) time will tell if we see more and more of that.
Apr 27, 7:10 AM

Feb 2018

"With all of the great anime coming out in recent years and the increase in the quality of animation, why should people watch older anime?"

"THE VENUS WARS" (1989)

Apr 27, 7:32 AM

Oct 2019
I wouldn't say better myself, because I think modern anime also has positive traits that older ones don't, but here's the things I think older anime have over new ones.

1. Cell animation looks and feels better than digital: It's definitely harder to do, and digital has things like like VFX or computer colour grading that make the visuals look better. but the 2D animation itself, to me has always looked better in cell.

2. Better atmosphere, Cell animation also generally makes for better atmosphere on average, because the characters and backgrounds are kind of forced to be made specifically for each other due to being hand drawn. The thing is, modern anime CAN still do that, but because now they have the option to get lazy with it, a lot of anime do. and that's why older anime have better atmosphere on average.

3. More experimental shows. Older anime wasn't as mainstream, and with evangelion being a cultural phenomenon, there were a lot more shows and movies that were willing to take risks in the the 90s and early 2000s. Which I think is a good thing.

4. better trends. I take edgy over the top gory sci-fi's or military based mechas being a trend over the sheer number of garbage isekai we get any time.

5. casual nudity. R rated anime used to have nudity without it necessarily existing for fanservice. That doesn't seem to happen anymore. I've seen more of it recently, Cyberpunk did it, and the latest episode of delicious in dungeon showed nudity on the harpies, but it is definitely extremely rare.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 27, 8:39 AM

Jan 2013
Older anime actually had soul and didn't feel like a metacontextual product that expects you to already be in on the joke.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 27, 10:24 AM
Feb 2024
Because limiting what you can and can't watch means you could miss out on good stuff. There are good old anime just like there are good new anime.
Apr 27, 11:12 AM

Jan 2021
it's good to experience both the old and new generation of anime to get a perspective of how anime has changed.
Apr 27, 11:19 PM

Jun 2011
Reply to MasterTasuke

"With all of the great anime coming out in recent years and the increase in the quality of animation, why should people watch older anime?"

"THE VENUS WARS" (1989)

@MasterTasuke That looks really good.

I stumbled across this and the newer version is so bland compared to the older version.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 28, 12:11 AM
Sep 2022
fluffycow17 said:
With all of the great anime coming out in recent years and the increase in the quality of animation

There has been no increase in animation quality, in fact, your average production is having a harder and harder time just achieving the base expected level of animation quality that had been standard for decades. More lines in the designs, more bombastic and chaotic action scenes, and more digital particle effects - is not equivalent to better animation. A tiny minority of productions break boundaries that were there before (in TV anime at least), like always, but average levels of quality have been declining. This is what actual industry members are constantly pointing out. Some reading for more detail below.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2022/08/05/the-layout-crisis-the-collapse-of-animes-traditional-immersion-and-the-attemps-to-build-it-anew/

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/08/31/the-fragmentation-of-anime-production-too-many-cooks-spoil-the-broth/

If you are after animation quality then 85-89 is probably the place to go, most of the weaker TV productions from sketchier companies like MIC in the early 80s were eliminated by the Yen and labor costs getting too high to justify tons of lower tiered TV productions that may have still flopped, OVA and Film production was robust and the industry hadn't started flooding the market with quickly produced rental OVAs like in the early 90s, so quality was pretty high in terms of industry output on average. 08-12 would be the other high point, after the DVD market crash prior to streaming where low quantity and high quality, along with more film production, was emphasized, as anime had a monetization crisis before streaming got big. Unidirectional progressive narratives about dynamic industries and art forms are always too simplistic to be accurate.
May 26, 1:48 PM

Aug 2019
Older anime definitely has the visuals going for it. It's so common for newer anime to look soulless (even stuff that looks too clean or pretty can feel empty because it feels like that's all there is to it), but with the way they made anime back then stuff looks like art that someone actually put time and effort into even if the plot may be mediocre.
May 26, 2:27 PM
Oct 2022
Because nowadays animes are for kids and older anime are for anyone specially adults.
Anime isn't just great animation.

Older anime has...

Great artstyle
Original stories and not copy of others like nowadays animes

Great soundtrack
And they're not all childish shounen or isekai like now

Every good anime must be watched no matter it is old or new.
Actually I think even older animes must be watched first then nowadays anime.
May 26, 3:13 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to bucciest
Older anime definitely has the visuals going for it. It's so common for newer anime to look soulless (even stuff that looks too clean or pretty can feel empty because it feels like that's all there is to it), but with the way they made anime back then stuff looks like art that someone actually put time and effort into even if the plot may be mediocre.
@bucciest That's very surprising to read considering modern Anime strongest point are the visuals unlike old Anime. I think the main reason some think its due the animation back then was produced differently than now. I disagree with your comment anyways since many Old Anime aged poorly in visuals.

@Ain2Zwei I'm curious why you claim Modern Anime somehow are for kids meanwhile Old Anime is for anyone especially adults basically saying Modern Anime are for kids and Old Anime for adults when Anime always was for everyone regardless of its old or modern. I'm also curious why you think Old Anime have such advantages when all your favourite series are Modern Anime, huh. Just an observation.
NurguburuMay 26, 3:28 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 26, 4:10 PM
May 2021
Anime then didn't have the restrictions and woke shit like they do now, the mid 80's-90's was the best era for innovation and originality.
Nowadays, everyone copycats everyone else's shit.
There's only a handful, maybe 2 that just make their shows watchable.
There's been more bunk than bangers.
May 26, 4:15 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to Nurguburu
@bucciest That's very surprising to read considering modern Anime strongest point are the visuals unlike old Anime. I think the main reason some think its due the animation back then was produced differently than now. I disagree with your comment anyways since many Old Anime aged poorly in visuals.

@Ain2Zwei I'm curious why you claim Modern Anime somehow are for kids meanwhile Old Anime is for anyone especially adults basically saying Modern Anime are for kids and Old Anime for adults when Anime always was for everyone regardless of its old or modern. I'm also curious why you think Old Anime have such advantages when all your favourite series are Modern Anime, huh. Just an observation.
Nurguburu said:

I was thinking on this a bit more and realized it all boils down to aesthetic preference. I've seen people go on about how good new anime looks even if the plot is insubstantial or lacking and I'm the same way but with old anime. I'd rather something look gritty and unpolished than something looking very clean and pretty, but that's my aesthetic preference.

EDIT: This is also me talking more in terms of visuals than animation.
bucciestMay 26, 4:21 PM
May 26, 4:18 PM

Apr 2020
Grit and commitment - if I was to generalize like this.
People die, people hate, people love. They make mistakes and they say nasty things. There are consequences to their actions. It's not always pretty, but it's interesting.
It makes for a more compelling Story.

And while modern Anime still DO exist, where P.C. Culture isn't that important, I feel like we're moving in a way too cozy and censored direction.

Nowadays, often, every "evil" or twisted character is a nice guy, in the end. There's always an agreeable backstory in place to redeem every bad scene. Every mistake can be forgiven and all is fine and dandy, by the end of the Show. "Oh. she wasn't r*aped, that was just a rumor"...."No, he isn't actually dead. He was lucky"....etc. etc.
It's boring, like that.
May 26, 11:56 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to Nurguburu

@Nurguburu my favorites all from 2000s and 2010-2014. they're not modern animes if they're old animes either
Imop modern animes are form 2015-2019 and 2020s

I mean when I saw their faces and ages
They're around 10-17 and even have a nose and all of them looks the same and 10 years old boy

Another reason that I already told it
Is their plots and story is the same thing again, they're all about evils, demons that must destroyed and nothing special and...

That's why I'm telling nowadays anime mostly is for kids and alot of other reasons that I didn't mention
Ain2ZweiMay 27, 12:01 AM
May 27, 12:33 AM

Feb 2020
Better stories and characters. It's as simple as that.
May 27, 12:43 AM

Feb 2018
There are also bad anime in the past. The thing is that the classics are always going to be remembered. For example, Viland Saga will be a classic of the future.

Besides, since modern anime there has been more production: Offering more titles to watch during the seasons, a situation that increases the number of series/films/ovas created but affects their quality due to overproduction.

Sometimes the hype for new things disorients the excellent ones. On the other hand, you can see things more clearly if you look at the past.

Good job spamming your club 👍
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Are there any cute boys doing cute things anime?

Mattenan - 1 hour ago

6 by RainyEvenings »»
12 seconds ago

» How generous are you with your 10s ( 1 2 3 4 )

n6ah - Apr 22, 2021

192 by AniManga_Boy07 »»
4 minutes ago

» Other than rewatching, what can you do when you want to watch the next season of an anime you forgot most of the previous season?

thewiru - 5 hours ago

11 by Zettaiken »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Why is Japan Afraid of Realism in Anime? ( 1 2 )

TheSunLife - Sep 23

61 by Dienen »»
29 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

690 by RuRivulet »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.