Forum Settings
Forums

The Sub vs. Dub Debate: Do Dubs Sound "Wrong" To You?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 16, 2019 2:05 PM
Jan 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Nine-TailedJosh said:
Any comparison between english anime voice acting and actual english cartoon voice acting will reveal the difference in emotion, but if you want to keep thinking that there's some feeling in anime dubs, then you do you.
The emotions are different because the plotlines and story content are different.

Doesn't mean the voice acting lacks emotion. Perhaps it just lacks the emotion (or emotional expression) you'd like to hear.
"The emotions are different." I don't know what kind of cartoons you watch, but in the ones I watch they experience emotions in quite the same way that every single human does. They don't experience it any differently than an anime character would (unless we're talking about comedic cartoons that don't try to be serious.) Plot lines can be different, but when it comes to serious situations cartoons are able to make the characters actually sound like they're distressed, whereas in anime dubs that is not present at all. Same goes for when a character is extremely happy or experiencing any other significant emotion. Dubs sound like the emotions aren't genuine while in cartoons it sounds like how someone would actually sound when they are experiencing said emotion.

And if you do desperately need them to have similar plot lines for you to be convinced, just look at shows like Voltron or She-Ra. They're more plot driven shows like anime are and yet the voice acting sounds a million times more realistic than what comes out of most anime dubs. The fault is not in the plot lines but with the actors themselves.
Oct 16, 2019 2:50 PM

May 2009
Nine-TailedJosh said:
I don't know what kind of cartoons you watch, but in the ones I watch they experience emotions in quite the same way that every single human does. They don't experience it any differently than an anime character would (unless we're talking about comedic cartoons that don't try to be serious.) Plot lines can be different
I have noticed that a number of western cartoons have dialogue seeming to move on average more quickly compared to anime. This effect is more pronounced for comedy, but still present for drama. Also there's more snark in western cartoons. So the emotions are expressed differently.

Nine-TailedJosh said:
but when it comes to serious situations cartoons are able to make the characters actually sound like they're distressed, whereas in anime dubs that is not present at all. Same goes for when a character is extremely happy or experiencing any other significant emotion. Dubs sound like the emotions aren't genuine while in cartoons it sounds like how someone would actually sound when they are experiencing said emotion.
I would not agree with any of this, as I've felt many strong emotions from the delivery of anime character lines in English dubs.

Particularly in drama, though, I think anime characters may be a little less blatant or over-the-top compared to western animation characters about expressing their emotions, as I feel that anime tends to have more of a sense of "taking in the moment".

Nine-TailedJosh said:
And if you do desperately need them to have similar plot lines for you to be convinced, just look at shows like Voltron or She-Ra. They're more plot driven shows like anime are and yet the voice acting sounds a million times more realistic than what comes out of most anime dubs. The fault is not in the plot lines but with the actors themselves.
I'd be happy to listen to examples, but you can't convince me that I have not felt emotions that I have actually felt while watching anime dubs, at least some of which are tied to very memorable voice lines.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 16, 2019 3:11 PM

Jul 2017
Unless the voice acting us bad, dubs don't feel wrong to me. However, I would still pick subs over dubs just because it's a personal preference. I don't mind if other prefer dub over subs and think this debate is rather pointless, in the end we're both watching and enjoying the same thing.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Oct 16, 2019 3:16 PM

Feb 2010
1. If you already are familiar with the subbed version, dubs will always sound weird because once we're used to something we expect it to stay like that. Whatever you watch first will seem more 'normal' once you're used to it. And that also stays true on a larger scale, if you've watched hundreds and hundreds of hours of japanese anime your ears are so used to the language, especially in the context of anime visuals, that you will expect them and subconsciously compare dubs to them even for shows where you only know the dub. You will be used to the japanese overacting and tone and intonations but not to their english counterparts. So first impressions of dub are likely to always feel weird once you've watched enough original anime. But that does not mean they're better, they're just more accessible to you because you've biased yourself through long-term exposure.

2. If it's a really terrible dub the quality of the voice acting can ruin the immersion for you. But I'm not talking about 'meh' dubs, but the ones that are actively terrible like Garzey's Wing or Diatron 5. Even if you're used to dubs and like them, some are just offensively bad and it can't be overlooked. That's just a fact.

3. Some factors can make a dub sound off even if I try it first and it is overall decently done. For example butchering the pronounciation of the names of the characters when you know how they should be pronounced. Or extremely japanese settings, especially historical ones. When everything in the visuals screams 'japanese' but the voices aren't, there is a disparity there and it doesn't feel right.

But in a generalized way you can't say that the japanese version is always better or that japanese VAs are strictly superior. That's just not true. On the one hand there are dubs that are really good, with voice actors that are really good. Cowboy Bebop, Maison Ikkoku, Ghibli Dubs and the likes. And on the other hand unless a dub passes a certain threshold of badness, it's ultimately always a matter of preference, first exposure, what you're used to and your reasons for preferring one over the other.

Dubs can provide certain things that subs simply can't, like the ability to not pay full attention to the subtitles at all times to understand every line, or maybe hearing some of your favorite (voice) actors in the english language. It is easier and quicker to process information when you can directly process what you hear in your main language compared to having to read subtitles, maybe not even in your main language. Sometimes when it's late at night and I'm tired, I don't want to read subs and that's all the reason I need to watch something dubbed (or some american TV series) instead of a subbed anime.

Of course subs (or the OV as I prefer to call it) also has some advantages that the dub can't provide. The voice actors were chosen and directed by people more directly involved with the production and can therefore be seen as a more coherent fit with the overall vision for the project. Nothing needs to be translated so the lines can have more effect. Being familiar with the culture a story is set in or that a character comes from, and understanding that culture, can have a vital impact on the quality of how someone acts as that character or how that character interacts with its environment. This is related to what I said about dubs sounding off the more 'japanese# the setting of an anime is. The whole issue about the subtle meaning of honorifics is just the most popular aspect of that topic, but it goes beyond that. On the flipside that can also be a plus for a dub if the anime is set in an extremely western cultural setting. Western characters written by japanese writers can often feel like caricatures and not real and realistic at all, even if they are supposed to. Dubs can 'fix' issues like that and condense the western setting and characters in a more accessible package by rounding it up with western-sounding dialogues and acting. Of course it will still be written by a japanese author and whether the writing or setting is the part that should be consistent with the voice acting is another question that can't be answered in a straight-forward fashion, but the point is that english voices in japanese settings is not the only way something can feel inconsistent.

A translation, and therefore also dubs, always change the script, the show, the characters from how they were originally. Usually not dramatically, but even nuances can be important and for me that's the main reason why my default setting for everything (anime or not) is to watch the OV. Of course you still get the translation and all the issues that come with it in the subtitles, but you can at least also hear the OV and combine the two into a version that is closer to the OV than if you had just a dub and no access to the OV at all.

But the same reason can also be an argument in favor of certain dubs, once you stop nitpicking about every single detail and nuance being the same (they never will be in translations). Dubs don't have to exactly reproduce the same feeling as the OV down to the smallest detail, as long as the dub itself is coherent, consistent, charming, relatable, witty etc... A good dub does not always mean 'the most accurate and closest to the original'. It really just means 'a good dub'. You always end up with a slightly different version of the original show when you watch a dub (or read a translated novel) but that doesn't mean the slightly different version can't be just as good or fun as the original version, in its own way. Or maybe even better/more fun.

And I'm not talking about dubs that completely reinvent the whole show, like Ghost Stories, but about 'normal' dubs. A dub VA acting a character different than the OV doesn't have to mean it's worse. I'd say the probability that the OV is better is definitely higher, but you can't turn that into a blanket statement. The only blanket statement you can make about dubs is that something always gets lost in translation. But at the same time things can also be gained and which of the two slightly different products is 'better' is at the end of the day subjective. It's ignorant to say that the OV is always inherently better just because something always gets lost in the translation process. Having a preference for the OV because it is the original version is fine and I think so myself, but it's still a preference.

At the end of the day every dub should be judged by its own merits and any blanket statements are always made by unreflected people who prefer generalizations over fair assessments. I'd agree that more often dubs will be worse rather than better and that the average english VA used in anime dubs is not as professional as their japanese counterparts, but it's not close to 100% or 99% like some people will say.

And by the way one reason many anime dubs aren't that great isn't because english VAs are all inferior, it's because anime is still a niche medium and they can't afford the best, most expensive VAs. Heck, some (older) dubs don't use professionals at all. The licensing companies sometimes did the dubbing themselves, or with friends, basically like a fandub. But that doesn't mean english VAs are inferior, it just means the dubbing industry for anime isn't big enough to warrant A-list voice actors. You just need to look at video games and how well a lot of them are voice acted (in english) to know that there is a large amount of top tier VAs in america, they just don't work in the anime dubbing industry.
AlcoholicideOct 16, 2019 3:23 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 16, 2019 3:38 PM

Oct 2008
Question how many of you watch the same anime twice in sub and then in dub, or vice verse.
Oct 16, 2019 4:47 PM

Jun 2019
To me the dubbed audio track comes across as:

- Cheap
- Forced
- Tacky
- Phony
- Childish
- Very disjointed from the animation
- Too much blatant changing of the script via localization and making unnecessary forced comedic lines and Western cultural references and speech styles that completely neuter the emotional intensity and take me out of whichever show I'm watching.

So I just don't watch them rather than watch them, be perpetually displeased, and actively feel my blood pressure rise. Why would I choose to be angry and dissatisfied over having a pleasant viewing experience?

People often bring up the emotional gravitas of the voices is so weak and dulled and characters you felt passion for now sound like typical American bros and dudes from your school or office. And also don't sound like professional voice actors. And I think all of that's absolutely correct. But more importantly for me, the one thing I cannot abide under any circumstances is rampant butchering of the script in service of localization.

It doesn't matter that subtitles also undergo changes from the original and no translation is 1:1. The dubbed still changes a lot more even down to fitting Western-style colloquialisms, catchphrases, and speaking patterns in a way that breaks immersion utterly.

I do not want to turn on my anime about the Azuchi-Momoyama period or Tokugawa shogunate era Japan and hear a bunch of anachronistic American slang and culturally-specific street talk I used to hear from kids in high school.

I think there's a psychological component at play here in the SUB vs. DUB divide. Some people relate more to seeing a foreign product in its original form and see it as a special window into a world that way, in the way that everyday voices from their native language would just take them out of it and ruin it. I'm one of those people. Dub people value all the same main beats of a show like over-arching story, animation, music, etc. (although sometimes even music is changed in dubbed), but watch anime more like they watch Western cartoons and find a foreign language more alienating than immersive.

What does it say that some of us sub or nothing die hards, myself included and being self-critical here, feel more alienated by hearing (an IMO, crude mockup of) their own language forcefully plastered over something than hearing a foreign tongue in a way that allows its original form to breathe? I understand that this isn't very important to some people, majority of dub watchers, but they should also understand why it's indispensable to the anime viewing experience to others.
WatchTillTandavaOct 16, 2019 4:55 PM
Oct 16, 2019 4:54 PM
Jan 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Nine-TailedJosh said:
I don't know what kind of cartoons you watch, but in the ones I watch they experience emotions in quite the same way that every single human does. They don't experience it any differently than an anime character would (unless we're talking about comedic cartoons that don't try to be serious.) Plot lines can be different
I have noticed that a number of western cartoons have dialogue seeming to move on average more quickly compared to anime. This effect is more pronounced for comedy, but still present for drama. Also there's more snark in western cartoons. So the emotions are expressed differently.

Nine-TailedJosh said:
but when it comes to serious situations cartoons are able to make the characters actually sound like they're distressed, whereas in anime dubs that is not present at all. Same goes for when a character is extremely happy or experiencing any other significant emotion. Dubs sound like the emotions aren't genuine while in cartoons it sounds like how someone would actually sound when they are experiencing said emotion.
I would not agree with any of this, as I've felt many strong emotions from the delivery of anime character lines in English dubs.

Particularly in drama, though, I think anime characters may be a little less blatant or over-the-top compared to western animation characters about expressing their emotions, as I feel that anime tends to have more of a sense of "taking in the moment".

Nine-TailedJosh said:
I'd be happy to listen to examples, but you can't convince me that I have not felt emotions that I have actually felt while watching anime dubs, at least some of which are tied to very memorable voice lines.
I don't really see how the pacing of dialogue affects how well emotion is conveyed, though that may be a fault on my part. In regards to there being more snark, I don't really see where in english cartoons that is more present unless you're talking of shows like Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, or more comedic cartoons. When I mentioned comparing dubs to english cartoons, I meant shows more like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls (if we're referring to more emotional/serious scenes), Star vs, The Dragon Prince, She-Ra, Voltron, etc. Adventure Time could perhaps be included in that list too. If there is any snark I don't think it affects the presentation of emotion in a way that would make it differ from anime dubs.

If you can feel the emotion when watching a dub, then good for you. But the majority of those who watch anime do not feel that a sufficient amount of appropriate emotion is carried across in any given scene (this has been backed up by multiple polls done on MAL and elsewhere, though I don't have links to those. You'd have to find them on your own, I apologize.) It may be less of the case that dubs have emotion in them and more of you are one of the few people who can tolerate any voice acting and still find the 'emotion' in it. If you're so insistent upon it, I do not believe there is any point to this argument as I will neither change my opinion because have not felt any emotion while watching anime dubs, and most likely never will (there are a few exceptions like Ouran High School Host Club, Code Geass, Kill la Kill [though on occasion the quality of voice acting seemed to decreased], and partly Soul Eater [the most pivotal, serious scenes are somewhat worse acted than the other moments in the show]).
Oct 16, 2019 5:27 PM

May 2019
dubs usually sound wrong, yeah
even the best dubs usually only have the main cast be well done with everyone else sounding cartoony/goofy
and I mean in a way that's a severe drop off in quality from the main cast that the original doesn't usually have
Cowboy Bebop is a solid exception of course
Oct 16, 2019 5:29 PM

May 2009
Nine-TailedJosh said:
I don't really see how the pacing of dialogue affects how well emotion is conveyed, though that may be a fault on my part. In regards to there being more snark, I don't really see where in english cartoons that is more present unless you're talking of shows like Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, or more comedic cartoons. When I mentioned comparing dubs to english cartoons, I meant shows more like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls (if we're referring to more emotional/serious scenes), Star vs, The Dragon Prince, She-Ra, Voltron, etc. Adventure Time could perhaps be included in that list too. If there is any snark I don't think it affects the presentation of emotion in a way that would make it differ from anime dubs.
I mentioned the pacing as an example of a factor that affects the emotional delivery. That's because, with faster dialogue, the emotional course of a scene is different.

When comparing the slice-of-life moments in stuff like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and Adventure Time to similar slice-of-life moments in anime series with a similar overall tone, the way the scenes work is different. I can feel how the western cartoons often feel more "up front and immediate" with their expressions, with their scene changes, and so on. This in turn affects the kind of tone of voice that's applicable to a scene. The drama scenes are closer, though in these shows there's still a certain cartoony backdrop to them, I'd say.

Unfortunately I haven't watch any of the others (and I've only watched pieces of the three shows I just mentioned, anyway) -- though that's why I say I'd be happy to watch some clips if you've got interesting ones to share. (I keep thinking that you mean old Voltron, which I have watched[/i], haha, but presumably you mean the recent Netflix Voltron or whatever it is.)

Nine-TailedJosh said:
If you can feel the emotion when watching a dub, then good for you. But the majority of those who watch anime do not feel that a sufficient amount of appropriate emotion is carried across in any given scene (this has been backed up by multiple polls done on MAL and elsewhere, though I don't have links to those. You'd have to find them on your own, I apologize.) It may be less of the case that dubs have emotion in them and more of you are one of the few people who can tolerate any voice acting and still find the 'emotion' in it. If you're so insistent upon it, I do not believe there is any point to this argument as I will neither change my opinion because have not felt any emotion while watching anime dubs, and most likely never will (there are a few exceptions like Ouran High School Host Club, Code Geass, Kill la Kill [though on occasion the quality of voice acting seemed to decreased], and partly Soul Eater [the most pivotal, serious scenes are somewhat worse acted than the other moments in the show]).
The exceptions you name are a comedy, an action show known for its memes and thus (by my guess) its pizzazz, an action show well known for being over-the-top, and another action show. These make me wonder whether you're expecting more intense displays of emotion than I am.

If there's one thing I've noticed that's a consistent difference transcending genre, it's a difference between animation voice acting and live-action voice acting. The former is far less likely to sound like it's mumbled unclearly. But people do in fact mumble unclearly in regular speech, so ironically the clear enunciation could seem stilted and unnatural. This is masked by faster-paced dialogue, but in slower-paced dialogue it's more apparent.
Oct 16, 2019 5:44 PM

Jul 2019
Just like @operationvalkyri said, You'll inevitably prefer the version you're used to. I grew up watching old show like dragonball and child naruto in dub. When I started naruto shippuden in JP, it felt weird, same with modern dragonball super. After some years I got used to in sub, hearing dub now sounds weird to me.
Oct 16, 2019 6:02 PM

Oct 2019
If I'm keeping it all the way one-hundred, I think all anime voice acting sounds "off," whether it's in Japanese or English. In my opinion, it tends to sound either overacted or awkward no matter what. That never gets in the way of me enjoying either, though.

Nonetheless, I have struggles with keeping my attention focused on one thing for extended periods of time, so I'm a dub viewer by and large, 'cause I can get away with doing other shit while I watch it. The only times I watch subs are when a dub hasn't been released yet.

Call me uncultured, but I can't tell that big of a difference between the two.
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?
Oct 16, 2019 6:28 PM

Oct 2017
The fact that people love to point out how certain shows actually have good dubs tells you everything you need to know.

Dubs are usually bad.

When I listen to English dubs by accident, usually in a YouTube video, they just sound horrible. The acting is plain bad. Randomly adding stress to weird parts of sentences. Lines said without emotion, or with the wrong emotion. There's also the fact that they reuse the same five VAs so they always sound the same.

The Japanese VAs are carefully auditioned and hand-picked. They generally get together and record in a group so the dialogue sounds more natural. The industry is a lot more competitive (even long-established Seiyuu have to audition for most of their roles). The Japanese VAs have the benefit of receiving pre-recording information form people working directly with the production, and getting guidance during the recording from the director and usually others too.

And this is just my impression, but it seems to me the Japanese VAs take their work a lot more seriously. I've seen a lot of Seiyuu content and they will passionately talk about their characters motivations and the story, getting in to some really deep stuff. And they will do this with almost any role it seems, there's no judgment like I would expect from a western VA voicing an anime with a lot of fan service for instance. The Japanese are a lot less funny about a lot of stuff.

There was a clip from ages ago where the original dub VA of Rei I think it was referred to the character as "the retarded one" (I tried to find it but no luck). You would never hear such a thing from a Seiyuu. Maybe the dub scene has moved on since then but I doubt it.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Oct 16, 2019 6:32 PM
Jan 2019
It sounds pretty stupid, especially after your used to sub.
Oct 16, 2019 6:42 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
This is absolute BS. How can you hear emotion in subbed Anime, if you can't even understand Japanese? If anything, I can't hear any emotion in Japanese voice acting.
crying is still crying, even in another language.

not that there's no emotion in most dubs, more that the affectation sounds forced and the emotion sounds fake. doesn't help when you have the same handful of actors doing most dubs today.

my favorite dub is the hellsing ultimate dub. it has a variety of actors with accents pertaining to their nationality, and it pretty much fits the bill in terms of acting
Oct 16, 2019 7:05 PM

Dec 2016
The only English Dub that I liked is Black Lagoon as it is related to the American theme. Other than that, English dub is not authentic compared to anime made from Japan.
Oct 16, 2019 7:10 PM

Jan 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Seiya said:
Dubs sound just fine to me. I've been watching dubs for as long as I've been watching Anime. I recently watched "Kanata no Astra" and "Kochouki: Wakaki Nobunaga" dubbed, and they were fine.

This is absolute BS. How can you hear emotion in subbed Anime, if you can't even understand Japanese? If anything, I can't hear any emotion in Japanese voice acting.
It's possible to hear some emotion in the delivery of a language one can't understand, but it's more coarse of an understanding, because it lacks dimensions like word choice.

Wrong. I guess you're not very smart.
Its pretty easy to distinguish whether or not someone's just talking into the mic and sounding bland as fuck vs actually voicing the words like real people would and how the writer intended it to be. Not a very hard concept to understand. Also, keep in mind I said Most dubs are bad.
Oct 16, 2019 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
BallisticRiot said:
Do Dubs Sound "Wrong" To You?

Depends on the anime. For stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Baccano, Panty & Stocking, 91 Days and most recently Cop Craft I actually preferred the english dub over the japanese one. It just felt more natural since those shows have more of a western setting / feeling. I've even re-watched Hellsing Ultimate with the english dub and ended up enjoying it more than when I first watched it subbed. But not every anime with a western setting works with english dub, so it's mostly a case of "your mileage may vary".

But I don't think that dubs mostly suck, to me they're just meh and feel flat most of the time. If there was a bigger variety of voice actors / actresses and they actually put their talent to work then dubs would actually feel like a proper alternative to the original voice acting. I mean, just look at video games, the voice acting on them is always top notch so why can't they perform just as well when working on anime?
Oct 16, 2019 7:30 PM

Oct 2019
As someone who often watches both subs and dubs, I have some arguments to make to defend dubs.

1. In most situations, you will prefer whatever one you saw first.

2. English and Japanese VAs are equal in talent. (for a good dub VA, I recommend J Micheal Tatum.

3. There are situations where the dub often shows more emotion. I.E Dub Reagan from MP100.

4. I hate when young boys are dubbed with adult men. (Looking at you Takagi-San dub)

5. DUBS ARE ADAPTATIONS!! For example, they allow more fluid adaptation of jokes, as often direct translation won't allow jokes to maintain form.

6. Subtitles can often distract viewers from incredible visuals.

7. Dubs allow viewers to multitask.
PepperShaker64Oct 16, 2019 7:39 PM
Watch FLCL. Got it
Oct 16, 2019 8:04 PM
Jul 2018
Subbed is far superior but I much prefer dubbed as I can get through anime faster without having to pause or rewind all the time. I can't really just sit in front of a screen without moving unless I'm working or playing a video game. I like to multitask.
Sometimes the dub isn't too bad. I watched FMAB in subbed first time around and then dubbed the second time and it felt pretty close to me in quality.
Oct 16, 2019 8:06 PM

May 2009
Water-sama said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
It's possible to hear some emotion in the delivery of a language one can't understand, but it's more coarse of an understanding, because it lacks dimensions like word choice.

Wrong. I guess you're not very smart.
Its pretty easy to distinguish whether or not someone's just talking into the mic and sounding bland as fuck vs actually voicing the words like real people would and how the writer intended it to be.
I thought it'd be pretty easy to distinguish opinion from fact and to understand that what you stated is your own judgement call opinion on the matter, but I guess you're not very smart either.
Oct 16, 2019 8:50 PM

Jan 2019
@GlennMagusHarvey
I might not be able to understand all Japanese words however, We have subs right in front of us. Little by little, People Understand the language. How would me not understanding Japanese mean that some English dubs aren't Dry and Empty and Emotionless? Keep in mind I never said that some Japanese dubs couldn't be emotionless and boring. Other people in this same thread just said the same thing. Next time, think before you type and pay attention.
Oct 16, 2019 9:00 PM

May 2009
Water-sama said:
@GlennMagusHarvey
I might not be able to understand all Japanese words however, We have subs right in front of us. Little by little, People Understand the language. How would me not understanding Japanese mean that some English dubs aren't Dry and Empty and Emotionless? Keep in mind I never said that some Japanese dubs couldn't be emotionless and boring. Other people in this same thread just said the same thing. Next time, think before you type and pay attention.
"Next time, think before you type and pay attention."

You seem to have constructed an elaborate strawman of me to argue against, while all I actually said to you was this:

I drew no judgements on some or all Japanese dubs, nor some or all English dubs, in what I wrote to you. Your responding to me about them is your own overreaction.

(N.B.: word choice is not a dimension that can be perfectly communicated because -- particularly for common words and cultural context -- words often don't mean exactly the same things in both languages, but may be slightly different in their connotations. The mere act of translation introduces this unavoidable imperfection, which is why translation is an art itself.)
Oct 16, 2019 9:01 PM

Jan 2019
I have always watched dubs. I once tried watching a show with subs, but I couldn’t do it; reading all that makes my head hurt! Plus, I LOVE all the English VA’s, I’m amazed at how much hate dubs get. Cherami Leigh, Tia Ballard, Michelle Ruff, Jill Harris, Erica Mendez... my list of favorite voice actresses keeps growing everyday. Now I just have to meet them all! Lol
Oct 16, 2019 9:14 PM
Jul 2018
I notice that Japanese take great care also of dubbing foreign animated features, despite the arbitrary changes here and there. Eg in Land before time they changed the species made-up names to the real ones. Wish more cartoon Bluerays also included Japanese language for ntsc/pal.

Oct 16, 2019 9:21 PM
Oct 2019
It's true that if you are used to see just subtitles any dub is going to sound wrong, but personally I only have a problem if the original VA did an amazing job and the dubber just cannot compare to it. It's usually rare because I don't pay that much attention to the voices, but there are some dubs that can even improve on the original so is just a thing of finding a decent one.

Although I will admit that finding a decent dub is hard and the fact that in the internet most sources have it only subtitled does not help in any way.
Oct 16, 2019 9:38 PM
Mar 2018
In general, not really. Obviously it sounds different, but not "wrong". I can tolerate most dubs, and in cases like Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, and FLCL, I prefer the dub.
Oct 16, 2019 9:42 PM

Jan 2016
I thought x vs y thread's against the rule ?

In sense of wrong, no, it Isn't entirely wrong and i am not gonna write down a volume of book just to tell, why sub is superior but, it just i found that some of english dubs were often sounds weird or even unpleasant, or perhaps It's just me who is not used to watch anime with english dubs

shirohaOct 16, 2019 10:08 PM
Oct 16, 2019 10:02 PM

Aug 2015
Well, I just preffer sub, but dubs are fine. They are just not my thing (most of the times, however there are some that I really like).

Oct 16, 2019 10:19 PM

Sep 2014
Seiya said:
Nine-TailedJosh said:
How so? I feel as though it proves my argument even further as it shows that even while still retaining the same words the emotion doesn't carry across because emotion isn't carried solely through words. English VAs are just bad at conveying emotion because they don't know how to truly put themselves in their characters shoes.

You sure you didn't just bs that reply to my argument, cause it sounds like you just made up a reply because you couldn't think of anything genuinely logical.

Lol.

I don't hate subbed Anime, and in fact, I watch a lot of it. I also listen to Japanese music, and I have a small collection of 70s & 80s J-Pop LP records which I imported from Japan, but I can still appreciate English voice acting, and those who say that they cannot are delusional in my opinion.

I actually like dubs but don't say people who can't enjoy dubs are delusional. They have their references. By saying that you're being as dismissive as the "original way" and "no emotion" crowd.
Oct 16, 2019 10:29 PM

Aug 2013
It's way, way more than just 'it sounds bad'.
As many people already said - copy can't be better than original regardless of the country origin. Dub is always nothing but cheap imitation. And it's not only about the anime. I would say the same thing about any other cultural medium produced in any other country. You can't damage cultural goods more than dubbing it.
Lululand said:
If you watched something dubbed, you didn't watch the show.

This so much. Exactly my point.
rsc-plOct 16, 2019 10:35 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 16, 2019 11:38 PM

Jul 2014
The only dub anime that I actually liked was YuYu Hakusho, other than that everything I've tried watching in dub was just plain dry even the DB dub which people put on a high pedestal. That being said other than my bias love for Justin Cook's Yusuke portrayal, dub really isn't the way to go if you want to fully enjoy the dialogues in its origin, Japanese humor is way too different compared to the west so it won't really blend that well in English, plus with how the Japanese language can be misleading whereas the English language most of the time is on point, you can't just grasp that language difference. So for me it will always be the sub>>dub.
Oct 17, 2019 12:08 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
The entire English language sounds like the linguistic equivalent of having an abortion performed with nothing except a single butter knife, so yes, I think it sounds wrong

Gerdubs for anime don't tend to be very good relative to other media's gerdubs, except in cases of things like Ghibli films or the megamainstream works, which probably have good dubs regardless of language, find those weak and generally flat on the whole

I've also come to like watching things subbed, I like the way the language sounds, I like that it's foreign and something I don't hear everywhere else like I do English and German, that it sets an entirely different mood and creates an entirely different experience that feels so much less milquetoast to me than seeing something in English/German

Blow it out your ass if that's an issue or you think that makes me a weeb, really, unwilling to go watch a dub whenever I've found that watching it subbed in of itself is something I've come to appreciate about it, and 'specially unwilling to watch English ones because I absolutely, positively abhor the way the language is sounded out and spoken

Oct 17, 2019 12:12 AM

Oct 2019
Personally, subs are way better. With dubs, some element is lost and it feels like I'm watching another show entirely.

Most dubs make me cringe, especially when you know something's not translated correctly. This may happen due to number of syllables in a japanese sentence compared to its english counterpart.

And there are lots of Japanese idioms, inside jokes, cultural references, and general words that are awkward to translate (Senpai, Kouhai, itadakimasu, gochisousama).
Oct 17, 2019 12:46 AM
Apr 2014
Most of the time I watch anime with english sub but i like what dubs did on the series like Monster , Blood+ or Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters
Oct 17, 2019 12:59 AM

Jun 2016
I think if you see an anime dubbed first you're prone to like it more than if you instead watch it subbed. For example, I honestly prefer all the anime i watched while growing up in my mother language because i'm just used to it.
With anime i watch nowadays i sometimes do find myself quite uncomfortable when checking out dubs, maybe because most VA's are less skilled than the japanese ones.
That, and dub VA's a lot of times try to copy the way the japanese talk and the tone when they finnish sentences... when that happens it does sound unnatural.
Oct 17, 2019 1:25 AM
Sep 2019
I have not seen many dubs but I very much prefer subs. I just can’t immerse myself in the story properly when it’s dubbed.
Oct 17, 2019 1:25 AM
Sep 2019
I have not seen many dubs but I very much prefer subs. I just can’t immerse myself in the story properly when it’s dubbed.
Oct 17, 2019 1:43 AM

Dec 2008
If you like the japanese language, why would you pass the opportunity to listen to it? Thats how I feel about it.
Also if the story is Japanese doesn't it feels weird to watch it and hear english dub? Like one of those Hollywood movies with foreign setting and foreign characters and everyone speaks english.

Oct 17, 2019 1:50 AM
May 2019
I prefer to watch anime subbed.
Delivery in dubs often feels forced and flat. They lack emotion especially when compered to their Japanese counterpart.
Voice acting in Japan is a serious business unlike in the west.
They tend to hire A level voice actors and idols unlike westerners that reuse same 12 voice actors.
Lolis sound particularly bad in dubs.
Also Japanese doesn't translate that well into English on top of that dubs have to change script to adjust it for lip syncing purposes.
As a result many idioms and references will be lost in translation.
Another advantage in watching anime subbed is that it can help you learn Japanese.
XstasyOct 17, 2019 2:02 AM
Oct 17, 2019 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
There's only a handful of them so the quality is extremely poor, no accents etc
They are foreign to me even though English is my first language and they often localise to the US which makes no sense to me
They only read the script on the day of recording so of course it's going to be wooden.
They cannot do childs or girls voices while the Japanese are great at it.

To me, it's like dubbing a classic rock song into Albanian, of course it's going to sound worse than the original. Except for maybe a few Albanians.
Oct 17, 2019 3:31 AM
Aug 2019
I don't have a clue about other languages, but german Dubs are great.
But of course I usually watch in japanese, because though you have a large choice on german dubbed Anime it's simliar to english by far not every interesting Anime dubbed.
Oct 17, 2019 4:19 AM

Oct 2013
There are definitely better dubbed anime out there but for the most cases, it's kinda in the meh side of things. Anime kinda lose a bit of it's magic when dub, at least to me
Oct 17, 2019 4:40 AM
Feb 2017
Yeah subbed is almost always better than dubbed. It’s definitely noticeable in a lot of dubbed shows that they lack the amount of emotion that subs have. That’s usually why I always go for sub first, and only on the off chance if I hear it’s good that I’ll watch it dubbed.

However, that being said there is nothing wrong with only watching dub and thinking it’s better. Those that have problems with it are the problem in the community.
Oct 17, 2019 5:53 AM

Jan 2019
They sound wrong unless they're on an anime directed at children.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become irrelevant.
Oct 17, 2019 12:45 PM
Jan 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Nine-TailedJosh said:
I mentioned the pacing as an example of a factor that affects the emotional delivery. That's because, with faster dialogue, the emotional course of a scene is different.

When comparing the slice-of-life moments in stuff like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and Adventure Time to similar slice-of-life moments in anime series with a similar overall tone, the way the scenes work is different. I can feel how the western cartoons often feel more "up front and immediate" with their expressions, with their scene changes, and so on. This in turn affects the kind of tone of voice that's applicable to a scene. The drama scenes are closer, though in these shows there's still a certain cartoony backdrop to them, I'd say.

Unfortunately I haven't watch any of the others (and I've only watched pieces of the three shows I just mentioned, anyway) -- though that's why I say I'd be happy to watch some clips if you've got interesting ones to share. (I keep thinking that you mean old Voltron, which I have watched[/i], haha, but presumably you mean the recent Netflix Voltron or whatever it is.)

Nine-TailedJosh said:
The exceptions you name are a comedy, an action show known for its memes and thus (by my guess) its pizzazz, an action show well known for being over-the-top, and another action show. These make me wonder whether you're expecting more intense displays of emotion than I am.

If there's one thing I've noticed that's a consistent difference transcending genre, it's a difference between animation voice acting and live-action voice acting. The former is far less likely to sound like it's mumbled unclearly. But people do in fact mumble unclearly in regular speech, so ironically the clear enunciation could seem stilted and unnatural. This is masked by faster-paced dialogue, but in slower-paced dialogue it's more apparent.
I still don't think the pacing of the dialogue affects the emotional expression in a scene, at least not in a noticeable or drastic way (this is, however, merely the case in my experience). Slice of life scenes are a little different in cartoons than in anime, though the way the characters interact is usually very similar as the type of characters present in anime and western cartoons are fairly alike in the sense that certain character traits usually get accentuated in a way you wouldn't see in live action show, and overall their personalities are more flamboyantly done, more out there, eccentric-like if that makes sense. (If you can't tell I'm having trouble trying to find the right wording to describe the particular way in which they are different. Forgive me.) In subs, it's much easier to see the similarity, but because the emotion in dubs is much more watered down, it maybe he harder to notice the similarity.

A point I forgot to mention earlier is that if you compare the way emotion is expressed in dubs and subs, the subs emotional tone fits the characters and scene more than the dubs do. Some say the only reason the Japanese sound more emotionally-fitting is because we do not understand the language, but if you compare the way emotion is expressed in Japanese voice acting for anime to the way Japanese people express their emotions through tone in real life, it is almost exactly on point. Meanwhile, dubs don't sound like they're emotions are genuine in any scene, no matter if it's a serious or casual scene. It reminds me of when we had to do voice overs for a play in seventh grade, and everyone was trying to hard to act well, and it ended up sounding awful. That's what hearing dubs sounds like to me. Mumbling unclearly has nothing to do with it. The overall way their tone is expressed is just poorly done. And it's quite easy to see why when you consider that nowadays dubs are rushed and mass-produced -- everyone's trying to dub everything as quickly as possible, and rushed acting is most likely what makes it sound so poor. That's why most older dubs sound better; they weren't rushed.

Though, in older dubs, even when the voice acting sounds like it has the right emotion for the scene, often it seems that the voices do not fit the character; it skews their personality. This is the case in FMA:B. Everyone claims the voice acting is really good, which I agree with, but the voice for Ed ruins his character in my opinion. It makes him seem like more of a whiny and (for lack of better words) angsty, while in the sub he sounds more mature and composed, which is a more accurate portrayal of his character. The way his voice is done in the dub actually has ruined his character for my sister who thought it was a good idea to watch it dubbed. She kept complaining about these aspects of his character that are just not present in the original Japanese voice acting.

The genre doesn't matter. These are things apparent in most types of anime. Ouran, yes, is mostly a comedy, with mostly casual/comedic scenes, and yet I feel it is the best-done dub when compared to others of the same genre. I'm not expecting more intense displays of emotion, I just want emotion that sounds genuine, and that's something that most dubs just aren't able to provide. I've tried other slice of life dubs (like The Devil is a Part Timer, which may not technically be slice of life but shares most of the same elements of SoL, including most character interactions), and it still does not portray an appropriate type of emotion, especially when comparing the emotion of the same scene in the sub. This is the case for any genre of anime, not just action ones.

Again, the voice actors just always sound like they're kids trying too hard to get the acting right for some class play or voice over of a script for a play. It sounds shallow. That's how it's always sounded to me and so many other people, and it probably always will. If it works for you, that's fine. But it doesn't work for us, I'm sorry.

(If there's any writing or grammatical errors, I apologize. I wrote more than I expected to and don't have the energy to look it all over.)
Oct 17, 2019 1:20 PM

Dec 2018
well we have a problem, i only watch dubs and wait at least 2 years for a dub if the show does not have a dub, so uhhhh no they sound fine to me
Oct 17, 2019 1:33 PM

Mar 2019
Personally I prefer sub. But there are instances where I think the dub is better. An example of this is Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Brotherhood is my favorite anime of all time and I've never watched it subbed. I tried but damn the dub is so much better.

Sometimes I like both the sub and the dub. And sometimes I like the sub even though it feels wrong. Like if there are non-Japanese characters in a non-fantasy/isekai world. Like Yuri on Ice.

Generally I prefer it subbed.
Oct 17, 2019 1:55 PM

Jun 2009
I've always watched sub because I find it easier to understand written word than spoken, since English isn't my native language.

Also, the way Japanese names are pronounced in English is extremely annoying, maybe because I'm used to my native language pronouncing it more similarly to the original, so the English version sounds like a joke.
Oct 17, 2019 2:04 PM

May 2009
Nine-TailedJosh said:
(If you can't tell I'm having trouble trying to find the right wording to describe the particular way in which they are different. Forgive me.)
(If there's any writing or grammatical errors, I apologize. I wrote more than I expected to and don't have the energy to look it all over.)
I think you're fine actually. I didn't notice any issues. Okay I did notice a "they're" where it's supposed to be "their", I guess.

Nine-TailedJosh said:
Slice of life scenes are a little different in cartoons than in anime, though the way the characters interact is usually very similar as the type of characters present in anime and western cartoons are fairly alike in the sense that certain character traits usually get accentuated in a way you wouldn't see in live action show, and overall their personalities are more flamboyantly done, more out there, eccentric-like if that makes sense. In subs, it's much easier to see the similarity, but because the emotion in dubs is much more watered down, it maybe he harder to notice the similarity.
Knowing that I have a taste for the more serious/quiet/poetic moments, and considering that I'm also a fan of the very "dry" and serious tone often characteristic of the Law & Order series, for at least this particular point it may simply be that I actually prefer it "underacted". At least this line of thinking is also consistent with my not being a big fan of very cutesy characters.

Nine-TailedJosh said:
but if you compare the way emotion is expressed in Japanese voice acting for anime to the way Japanese people express their emotions through tone in real life, it is almost exactly on point.
You're the first person I've seen to say that it matches real life, rather than is an overacted version of it.

I dunno which one it is, though based on the little I've seen of people speaking Japanese on-camera in things like news broadcasts and interviews, my guess is the latter. But I don't actually know Japanese nor hang out with Japanese speakers in daily conversation.

Nine-TailedJosh said:
The overall way their tone is expressed is just poorly done. And it's quite easy to see why when you consider that nowadays dubs are rushed and mass-produced -- everyone's trying to dub everything as quickly as possible, and rushed acting is most likely what makes it sound so poor. That's why most older dubs sound better; they weren't rushed.
Your comment here runs counter to other comments I've observed that say that old dubs were worse (for not just script reasons -- I'm talking voicework reasons here) since the people sometimes didn't care and occasionally felt very amateurish while new dubs are better because the industry has built up more experience and the licensors also have and exercise more oversight and active communication during the production.

To some extent I feel that all these "reasons" are more people trying to look for a reason to explain something they feel, rather than necessarily a factor whose importance is really well-proven. They could each all apply and then there's also just random variation from show to show.

For the record I'm not writing this to say that you have to or should like dubs. I don't and I shouldn't mind you having your opinion on them, since after all they're just entertainment.

Meanwhile it's just been my own experience that dubs in my language (i.e. American English) have a noticeably greater potential to enhance a story by "bringing it to life" more vividly -- while the Japanese voicework feels like a standard "safe bet" that doesn't as easily accomplish stuff like really iconic characters or very emotional moments. That's not to say that they can't; I watch anime in both languages' voicework (usually not both for the same series, but occasionally that happens too), and my favorites include both stuff I've watched with English voicework and stuff I've watched with Japanese voicework. But this is why I try out a dub first when given the chance, and usually I just end up sticking with it. (My best guess is that the difference that would result wouldn't be particularly significant anyway.)
Oct 17, 2019 2:55 PM

Dec 2018
Water-sama said:
Most Dubs are horrible because of the lack of emotion/expression in them. Also, Most Dubs sound like someone is talking to you like you're a child. They're Dry asf.
My thoughts exactly, I feel they don't carry the same amount of energy in the dubs. I always use this as an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52jF75LTX8 VS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pREOMmhHyU8
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Animations that are mistaken as anime

JoeChip - 30 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

46 by Spunkert »»
4 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Jun 6

44 by Rndmguypassingby »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you like weak maids or strong maids?

Catalano - Jun 6

15 by enigmasauce »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime That Took a While to Enjoy

Jackof-allspades - Yesterday

30 by LoveYourSmile »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.