Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 5, 2019 9:52 PM
Jan 2018
Very intense and emotional episode.

I’ve been patiently waiting for everything to heat up between Yuki, Kyo, and Tohru.

I will say also, haven’t the character development skills of this show/manga always been amazing? DEFINITELY rushed in the original anime adaptation, however the new one is following the manga so so nicely.

It’s just amazing how attached I get to these characters. Seeing Momiji and Tohru share such a sweet and compassionate moment brought me to tears!!

The rest of the episode only furthered that emotion.

Watching this anime really has brought back a feeling of nostalgia from when I first watched/read it years and years and years ago.
Jul 5, 2019 10:57 PM
Jan 2018
This was so fkn sad wtf
Jul 5, 2019 11:23 PM

Nov 2018
It's funny how people in this thread keep kalling Momiji a kid, remember he's one year younger than the trio.
I think he's just a great person, many of the furuba characters are wicked, while he's so pure. I always liked that about him.
About Kyo, we have seen hints about his past in the show before, and now it's confirmed that he feels guilt standing in front of Kyoko's grave. If you're curious you should rewatch some of the old kyo scenes in the previous episodes with that in mind.
Jul 5, 2019 11:51 PM
Oct 2015
Holy fuck. Tohru embracing Momiji’s bunny nearly got me to tears ;;

Tohru is about to adopt Momiji and become his new mother
Jul 6, 2019 12:43 AM

Sep 2009
Did Kyo kiss Tohru??????????

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Jul 6, 2019 12:44 AM

Mar 2018
The best episode so far
I wish Tohru's mother met Kyo like this and that she still alive 😭

@starlightshine The merch you bought is so cute!
Momiji is also my favorite character in the manga, in the anime he’s just an adorable cute boy still but in the manga he will be a an adorable cute boy with admirable actions which we will see in the future episodes ❤️❤️❤️

Jul 6, 2019 1:52 AM
Oct 2015
Statchana said:
Nah, he whispered in her ear.

Also,
Jul 6, 2019 1:55 AM

Apr 2018
Cool, were already halfway through and new op. I'd have to say, the new op is more upbeat compared to the first one. Momoji's mom is too cruel. Who doesn't want a bunny as your son
Jul 6, 2019 3:36 AM
Apr 2019
SleepySenpaiSama said:
Statchana said:

Also,

Nope, it wasn't in the '01 adaptation. The scene of him apologizing wasn't even in it.
Jul 6, 2019 3:37 AM

Apr 2018
One of the best episodes so far. Momiji's story was really moving, I'm begining to like him. And it adds more information about the Soma familiy and the relationship between the cursed and their parents.

Uo and Hana still the MVPs of the show, and this episode was another proof of it. I'm really glad they have decent screentime (even in the new opening that I like a lot), but even so I wish they had more. Alongside Hatsuharu, they are the three only characters I really like.
Jul 6, 2019 3:46 AM

Feb 2011
So the first season of the remake will get 25 episodes. I hope the second season also get around that many episode. I don't hope they let us wait for too long between the season neither!

This episode make me cry even I already know Momiji story because I watch the original anime and read the manga but it is still so sad!! This episode in was pretty sad but it still loved it.

The new op en ed theme also are really good. I think the next episode coming are Kyo arc of the story now Yuki arc is over. I love to see more KyoxTooru because they too cute together!

I forgot I can't remember this part clearly so Is Kyo the kid that give Tooru that cap??
Jul 6, 2019 3:56 AM

May 2015
New ED is very cute.

I hope Kyou didn't kiss her, it's like the worst thing to do.

Just as I remembered the story about the boy and a hat, Yuki found it, how curious! I'm excited to see what new revelations it would bring him.
Jul 6, 2019 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
Momiji's story was sad, really sad. He may act all happy go lucky, but he's a very strong person despite his childish tendencies.

I understand why his mother did it, but that doesnt mean I support it. No matter what his appearance may be, he's still your son, the one you dutifully raised when he was only a tiny fetus in your womb, you can't just deny that just because he turned into something different.

But as I said, I understand. Expecting to see your child's beautiful smile only to watch them unexpectedly turn into something different just by hugging them can be very shocking. Too bad she went at it the wrong way.

Is the episode hinting that Kyou, unintentionally I suppose, caused Tohru's mother death? Interesting :o

The new OP and ED are entertaining to say the least.
Jul 6, 2019 4:56 AM
TMNT Lover

Oct 2017
Even though I already knew about Momiji's backstory, and have seen it told in both the manga and original anime, I must say that this time I actually cried and wasn't able to suppress my emotions. Maybe it's because my grandmother recently got diagnosed with Alzheimer's, so I'm starting to feel a personal connection to Momiji. But either way, there was a sad beauty to this episode which should definitely be appreciated.

I really like how the group all came together to visit Honda's mother at the gravesite. It's funny how they had a picnic there, considering all the times I've had some with my family over our ancestors graves. We see it as a way of honoring their memory, and showing that even though they are gone, we still carry them with us in our minds. And I think Tohru and her friends feel the same way.

The ending scene was also rather mysterious, and executed very well. I can't wait to see how they'll adapt the next little bits of drama in the next episode.
Jul 6, 2019 5:12 AM

Jul 2014
I've ragged on this show a lot so far, but this episode - which was easily the strongest so far IMO - did a lot to counteract my criticisms of the show. For example, when we got Hattori's backstory I complained that "curse" seemed rather strong based on what we had seen up to that point, but Momiji's backstory really sold that this zodiac stuff is a curse in all manner of different ways (I hadn't even considered the fact that the hugging clause triggering the transformation would apply when the mother hugs the zodiac holder as a baby, not to mention the whole "being born two months early thing" which must cause all manner of complications (maybe Yuki's poor health is related to that?)).

This was then tied in well to the visit to the graveyard to pay respects to Tohru's mother, a visit which also justified what seemed to be a huge overreaction to Yuki's cold (had I known about what happened to her father, I would have accepted it far more readily).

That aside, even if it wasn't explicitly stated, the end of this episode firmly implied two things: it seems that Yuki was the boy in the hat that Tohru met as a child (I kind of expected this even then, but having it virtually confirmed is interesting), and it also seems that Kyo may have had something to do with the fatal accident Tohru's mother had (I did wonder what was bugging him so much throughout the episode, but his apology at the end makes me suspect this).
Jul 6, 2019 5:18 AM

Aug 2013
Poor Momiji. His backstory was sad.

So they all visited Tohru's mother's grave.

New OP & ED song. Though I still prefer the old ones.

Jul 6, 2019 5:23 AM

Nov 2018
SleepySenpaiSama said:
Statchana said:

Also,

It isn't, you have to read the manga for that
Jul 6, 2019 6:14 AM

Apr 2011
Another great episode!

Jul 6, 2019 6:17 AM

Jun 2014
Ten said:
He didn't kiss her, he just whispered to her that he is sorry. You'll have to wait a bit to find out what he's sorry about. It won't happen in the 1st season.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Jul 6, 2019 6:27 AM

May 2015
SailorVeki said:
Ten said:
He didn't kiss her, he just whispered to her that he is sorry. You'll have to wait a bit to find out what he's sorry about. It won't happen in the 1st season.

That's ok then, thanks. I just hate this trope when people kiss someone in their sleep. I don't mind if he does it while she's awake though. But I guess any romance won't happen anytime soon as was hinted by Hanajima.
Jul 6, 2019 7:43 AM

Jun 2013
I enjoyed both the new ED and OP and this episode was very emotional. Had to stop myself from tearing up while Momiji's backstory was being told, I expected it but it still wrenched my heart. He sacrificed a lot to save his mother's sanity but he's still a kid and wants to see her. Him transforming into a rabbit with a teary, beady eye made my eyes water.

Also, love how Arisa ships Kyo and Tohru and Hana-chan is the doting stand-in parent who opposes.
臭い-
Jul 6, 2019 8:22 AM
Jan 2018
the moment between Momiji and his mother made me go wait what ?

all a mother wants to do is hold their baby in their arms this case its not possible as he turns into a rabbit.

got a feeling kyo has a connection to tohrus mum or has a part to play in her death or is something different like he failed to save her or something
Jul 6, 2019 10:24 AM
Jul 2016
Alright, that new OP feels so out of place compared to this drama-heavy episode... I wish they kept it sentimental.

hinata3487 said:
I love how accurate it is to the manga though its going to be awhile before anyone who just watches the anime will find out about the cap and why kyo doesnt give it his all when he has feelings to tohru. Love the OG anime but they mad the anime so cute and fun to watch but took out all the darkness that the manga has. Just know the cap has alot of importance and is another big reason why kyo hates yuki and why at times kyo doesnt want to get close to tohru while also being the reason why he hates himself and the curse. Lol hope I didnt spoil to much of what happened

I know... this episode was heavy on the foreshadowings/hints, too. I was starting when they'd get to it, considering we're already halfway through the first season.

I read the manga through the end many years before, and I'm parallel-re-watching the 2001 anime too. With this episode I'm sorely tempted to go back and re-read the manga to recall the forthcoming events/tragedies/explanations... but I'll spare myself the spoilers and disservice by not doing so. This anime (and manga) so far is just too good.
Jul 6, 2019 10:35 AM
Jul 2016
thebond_thecurse said:
SleepySenpaiSama said:

Also,

Nope, it wasn't in the '01 adaptation. The scene of him apologizing wasn't even in it.

Without rewatching the 2001 (yet), I also don't remember such a scene. And for fear of spoiling myself, without re-reading the manga I also don't remember it in the chapters. If it's a totally new, additional scene for further foreshadowing, I'd say the writers did a good job adding that there.

And this is giving me hope that this anime is taking the story in a much better direction than the original (obviously because the manga was unfinished back then) and that the production staff are taking extra care about unveiling the developments in the story.
Jul 6, 2019 10:58 AM
Apr 2019
keithmaxx said:
Without rewatching the 2001 (yet), I also don't remember such a scene. And for fear of spoiling myself, without re-reading the manga I also don't remember it in the chapters. If it's a totally new, additional scene for further foreshadowing, I'd say the writers did a good job adding that there.

And this is giving me hope that this anime is taking the story in a much better direction than the original (obviously because the manga was unfinished back then) and that the production staff are taking extra care about unveiling the developments in the story.

No, it was definitely in the manga.

The anime hasn't done/added anything foreshadowing-wise that wasn't already in the manga. Fruits Basket has a ton of clever foreshadowing early on, but it takes a reread or two to pick up on all of it. It's probably easier to notice in animated form, but it was all there in the manga already.
Jul 6, 2019 11:31 AM
Dec 2015
Can we talk about how awesome the direction for this episode has been? I love the scene were yuki is contemplating tohru in front of the the gravestone and the focus slowly shifts towards kyo walking away in the background. And the last scene! That transition from kyo to yuki and then back to kyo was seamless and well fitted. LOVED it.
Jul 6, 2019 11:47 AM

Aug 2007
I like more this new Op. The first one was kind of depressing. Jut an opinion. The ending is also pretty to watch.

About the episode, was really sad. But I think about what happen if Kyo and Tooru's mother (kyoko) meet. Lets stop. I don't need to say more about this.

Talking about mothers, was sad that Momiji's mother endure so much with that pain: to have a cursed child. In reality there are several woman that reject to have a child.

Finally the final scene, Yuki noticed somethin about the cap. Again, I read the manga, so I'll stop here. Why did Kyo said I'm sorry?
Jul 6, 2019 2:15 PM

Oct 2017
Huh, are Tohru and Kyou siblings? Or, he caused her mothers death somehow?
Jul 6, 2019 3:29 PM

Jul 2012
What an episode! Momiji's past made me so sad, I want to adopt him!
And Tohru's such a strong girl, bless her.
Jul 6, 2019 7:21 PM
Jul 2016
thebond_thecurse said:
keithmaxx said:

No, it was definitely in the manga.

The anime hasn't done/added anything foreshadowing-wise that wasn't already in the manga. Fruits Basket has a ton of clever foreshadowing early on, but it takes a reread or two to pick up on all of it. It's probably easier to notice in animated form, but it was all there in the manga already.

Huh, I guess I'll do a slow re-read of the manga, then. I'll have a better appreciation of the current series and clear up some of the details I've long forgotten.
Jul 6, 2019 7:58 PM

Apr 2013
Kyo and Tohru sittin' in a tree.

Also, real fan of the visuals in this remake. I find myself saving a lot of screenshots every week.

The ED is so soothing.
SJ7izmJul 6, 2019 8:05 PM
Jul 7, 2019 9:32 AM

Dec 2018
i just wanna say that Momoji's unfortunate destiny is really heartbreaking. Knowing that his mother doesn’t remember about her own son and stating the fact both of them had a horrendous toxic relationship before, it's both desvasting and appaling. How can Momoji be so flamboyant and lively despite carrying a burden weight like that at his back? He's more mature than i thought.
Jul 7, 2019 2:53 PM

Jan 2019
Poor Momiji. I saw the first anime and his backstory always made me sad. This was probably my favorite episode so far.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Jul 7, 2019 5:02 PM

Oct 2011
Momiji's backstory is one of my favorite scenes... really satisfied with this episode... so well done...

feeling emotional all over again, XD
Jul 7, 2019 6:16 PM

May 2014
Did anyone else spot the monkey in the new ED??? As a manga reader I’m excited to see actual development when the time comes !!!
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Jul 8, 2019 12:26 AM

Apr 2016
I wonder how Momijii's dad is able to spend time with his son without getting caught. What, does he tell his wife that his work lasts two or three hours longer than it actually is, which he uses to spend time with Momijii? Anyway, I'm glad they finally acknowledged the elephant in the room regarding parents birthing children who can transform, but it would've been nice to see the mom's slow decay into madness rather than simply being told and then it cutting to her saying "I regret giving birth to him". Feels like an under explored idea. Hopefully we'll get a more in depth look at the alternative ending where the parents apparently become over protective of their kids.

The new OP is okay. The ED has great visuals but the song wasn't particularly memorable, but it might grow on me.
Jul 8, 2019 12:29 AM
Apr 2019
Valyrian1124 said:
I wonder how Momijii's dad is able to spend time with his son without getting caught. What, does he tell his wife that his work lasts two or three hours longer than it actually is, which he uses to spend time with Momijii?

Easy answer: He doesn't actually spend time with him.
Jul 8, 2019 8:07 AM
Mar 2019
New OP! I feel like the first one fit the vibe of the show better but this one is ok too

What a terribly sad backstory for the most chipper character in the show. Smiling through the pain has been a frequent theme over the first half of the show, but I was not expecting it to hold this kind of weight.

Although the rules of the world had been drilled into our heads since the beginning, it never occurred to me how it could affect a mother-child relationship in such a dramatic way. I feel so bad for Momoji

Tohru x Kyo needs to happen! I pogchamped when I thought they kissed!
Jul 8, 2019 1:30 PM

Dec 2011
I've been crying over Best Boy Momiji for over a decade. I knew this episode was coming but it still hurts.

That being said, I cried for Momiji in the 2001 version. Here, I cried for Tohru. The emotion has shifted entirely onto Tohru for me and I don't know whether that's a good thing or bad thing. Concerning the Soumas, when it came to their episodes, I actually felt for them as opposed to here where it kind of feels like Tohru's story has more weight. Tohru's words also had more impact in the old version. I don't know if it's the delivery of the words or the way the camera does or doesn't move, but I'm continuously disappointed :( ...

The new ED is soo cute but I don't care much for the OP.

Kimurah said:
Orulyon said:
Old version Momiji's story was way more emotional. Its the first ep in the remake I'm very disappointed.

Same here.

The old version had better sync with the old OP "For Fruits Basket" and it's lyrics resonate harder with the message for both Momiji and Tohru, to hang in there and surpass the hardships, those will become a warm memory someday.

I personally like a lot more the last frames with Momiji crossing paths with his mon and his sister, while he's still smiling. It portrays his devotion to hold his feelings inside him and follows Tohru's philosphy to keep smiling, no matter what.

On my behalf, I appreciate the old version to cut out Momiji's mom stabbing herself with the scissors, I really didn't need the extra edge. I didn't like the mom's voice acting either when she was speaking with Hatori about erasing her memories, she sounds so edgy and overacted in the new adaptation. The old one she sounded broken down and frail, she feels more humanized, not an over the top anime character like the new adaptation does.

All of these, both. The scene selection and camera panning was more emotional in the old one and is my preference. For example, Tohru hugging Momiji, and the camera pans to the side and shows us close ups of Momiji being surprised and then freely crying after Tohru allows him to heal. That way when it shows Momiji crossing paths with his mom, it emphasizes his strength. In here I didn't really feel that, just forced crying meant to make you sad. ahhhhhhh
Jul 8, 2019 3:25 PM

Sep 2017
Okay, I've spent way too long playing Omnifactory. I seriously need to catch up on all of my seasonal shows. We watching anime for the next nine hours, boys.

Tohru is so sweet, feeling obligated to ask Shigure for permission to leave the household to visit her mother's grave. Don't care much for the OP. I liked the symbolism with the umbrellas though. Oh... her mother was a biker. Interesting development. Miracle Momiji didn't run into someone and turn into the rabbit. Wonder what Momiji's mother is doing there. It is super fucking depressing that the vast majority of mothers to the zodiac spirits either obsessively control their children or reject them. Her calling Momiji a creature was a huge punch to the gut. Saki and Uotani are dressed pretty oddly for the occasion. One of them is in a biker jacket and the other is well dressed for a funeral. Tohru described her father's death quite joyously, huh? Wonder why Kyo would feel a sense of regret now of all times. A picnic in a cemetery is really weird. Not sure what was going on in the last few minutes, but I am highly intrigued. Hope we get answers soon.
Jul 9, 2019 2:06 AM

May 2009
Oof I was about to drop this show. I am kinda glad I didn't. This episode was really good and promises some nice follow-up episodes.

Why I was about to drop it: the show got really boring to me where "nothing" really happened and to me personally the characters aren't that interesting to me (yet). It felt more like a wave of introductions of characters, then to dissapear immediately with no feel of mystery or "why's". And I must say I really do not like an anime to focus on a romantic aspect so much but then to do "nothing" with it (cliches are fine with me in that matter).

Why I do think it's an interesting show: I have a weak spot towards "older" anime because of their pacing which leads to really decent storylines that make sense, compared to a lot of anime nowadays. It has a lot of room to become interesting very quickly and characters have a lot of space to grow quickly, turning it into a really good story. And I am a sucker to romance anime and I hope for some guilty pleasures every now and then, lol.
Now with this episode things are slowly turning into interesting events. I wonder how they will handle this.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jul 9, 2019 10:59 AM
Oct 2011
Valyrian1124 said:
I wonder how Momijii's dad is able to spend time with his son without getting caught. What, does he tell his wife that his work lasts two or three hours longer than it actually is, which he uses to spend time with Momijii? Anyway, I'm glad they finally acknowledged the elephant in the room regarding parents birthing children who can transform, but it would've been nice to see the mom's slow decay into madness rather than simply being told and then it cutting to her saying "I regret giving birth to him". Feels like an under explored idea. Hopefully we'll get a more in depth look at the alternative ending where the parents apparently become over protective of their kids.

The new OP is okay. The ED has great visuals but the song wasn't particularly memorable, but it might grow on me.
lol he doesn't the moment momijis dad got back with his wife he left him to be with his wife. 😭😭😭😭
Jul 9, 2019 9:41 PM

Jan 2019
Zyukichan said:
Oof I was about to drop this show. I am kinda glad I didn't. This episode was really good and promises some nice follow-up episodes.

Why I was about to drop it: the show got really boring to me where "nothing" really happened and to me personally the characters aren't that interesting to me (yet). It felt more like a wave of introductions of characters, then to dissapear immediately with no feel of mystery or "why's". And I must say I really do not like an anime to focus on a romantic aspect so much but then to do "nothing" with it (cliches are fine with me in that matter).

Why I do think it's an interesting show: I have a weak spot towards "older" anime because of their pacing which leads to really decent storylines that make sense, compared to a lot of anime nowadays. It has a lot of room to become interesting very quickly and characters have a lot of space to grow quickly, turning it into a really good story. And I am a sucker to romance anime and I hope for some guilty pleasures every now and then, lol.
Now with this episode things are slowly turning into interesting events. I wonder how they will handle this.
The beginning of Fruits Basket is easily the worst part. I can understand how it would seem boring at the beginning because the series is more focused on introducing characters to the audience, but all the characters do have their own arcs and become interesting later on. It’s a long series, so it will take longer to move forward, but once it gets good, it’s like the best Shojo out there. In my opinion, no romance show compares. I am glad you are not dropping it. Cause you would be missing out on some good stuff.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Jul 10, 2019 4:12 AM

Jun 2015
i much preferred the first opening, but this second ending is very calming and the visuals for it are great.
poor momiji man, i feel like technically he didn't even make the decision that he's okay with his mother forgetting him. he just kind of got it forced onto him and had to accept it.
Jul 10, 2019 8:52 AM

Oct 2012
A very good episode as always! The Momiji back story really hit hard in my feels... just as much... if not MORE than the original did. I love the new OP and ED as well, a very nice transition from the previous half of the show.
Jul 10, 2019 9:30 AM

Oct 2017
My gosh im loving this show. This is just so full of emotions with lots of funny and sad moments. Also im really curious about the last scene. Why did Yuki saw that flashback and why did Kyou apologized I wonder.
Jul 11, 2019 12:49 AM

Apr 2018
New OP and the new Ending song are pretty good. WHO IS CUTTING ONIONS IN HERE, everyone's past is so damn sad. Listening to Momiji's past and being called a creature as a kid made me tear up. Feel like Kyo knows something about Kyoko's death... kinda fishy
Jul 12, 2019 5:48 AM

Sep 2016
I’m not that much a fan of this remaker, but Momiji’s backstory still made me teary. I will always be moved by his vulnerability, adamancy & maturity no matter what version it is.
I can understand his mum’s struggles, but what kind of mum won’t regret forgetting her kids? I don’t understand. Moreover, he’s so cute even in his bunny appearance.
Jul 12, 2019 8:20 AM

Nov 2018
Well, Momiji's mom sucks, I have little to no sympathy for her. Momoji is one of my top 5 characters from this series now.
They just went n had picnic in the graveyard, whoa.
Very good episode.
Jul 12, 2019 9:02 AM

Dec 2014
This is how you build a character...
momiji's backstory and them having picnic was all too emotional for me...
the ending hit me like a wrecking ball...
the buildup and the payoff in this series is amazing...

yay new OP and ED
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

193 by kerby08 »»
Jun 3, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2019

194 by Cam1922 »»
Jun 2, 8:52 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

120 by Inudrew »»
May 27, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2019

212 by contrastz »»
May 20, 12:34 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2019

167 by LucasDoragon »»
May 13, 4:15 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.