Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 4, 2018 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
Why don't you just watch it and find out? It's a few hours of your time at most. I personally would have dropped it by episode 4 or something like that, but I kept going and hated it. I kept going cause I like watching hype to be more informed about the community, not because I had any doubts it was going to suck. It's up to you if you want to spend that time.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 4, 2018 4:43 PM

Aug 2018
Go watch it, you may or may not like it but it's still worth watching
Sep 4, 2018 4:44 PM

Sep 2011
SAO will be discussed a lot once again very soon.

If you're a type of person who wants to bandwagon on something, then sure go ahead.

Sep 4, 2018 4:57 PM

Jul 2017
nobody can tell if its worthwhile until you see for yourself
I thought it was a shitty show because back then I was a normie who went through things based on generic critiria and popular reviews
with all those one sided reviews and certain advicefriends' warnings I devided to not giving it a try and the bias is contagious (I avoid any anime smilar to it)
until I actually saw it on my sister computer screen and realized it wasnt unwatchable at least
its probably the first anime that opened my mind and eliminated my norminess
Sep 4, 2018 4:58 PM

Dec 2016
If you value having an opinion on one of the most controversial anime of the last decade....then yes, you should

Otherwise... don't waste ur time
Sep 4, 2018 5:05 PM

Oct 2012
The animation quality is superb, but lots of people think the story is lacking.

I really enjoyed the series, and I think it's in the top 5 of the best isekai anime (I'd rate it as #2 and Log horizon as #!).
Sep 4, 2018 5:28 PM

Jan 2013
Seriously, if you are curious about the series, go and watch it yourself. You are not going to get any solid answers from other people, especially on this website.

I personally didn't hate SAO that much. The first half of the series is pretty entertaining in my opinion, actually. The second season wasn't that bad either. I mean, there are way worse anime out there, but SAO gets all the hate because of its popularity.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 5, 2018 2:23 AM

Jan 2018
Children will do things opposite of what being told. In this case, he wants you to ignore bad opinions and see it for yourself because enjoyment is personal, no one can decide what's enjoyable except you.
Sep 5, 2018 3:35 AM

Jan 2018
Nah just pretend that you have watched SAO so you can talk shits about it.
Sep 5, 2018 3:39 AM

Jan 2016
Just watch it and try.

"SAO is the worst anime ever" meme will alive until the world is end, trust me. And, "It's good so it's popular" meme.
Sep 5, 2018 3:41 AM

Mar 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Afloo said:
Everybody should watch at least the first season of SAO so that they can make up their OWN opinion of it instead of just saying its shit just because Digibrony or Mother's basement said it was shit like a Sheep.
Sorry, I dropped it after the first episode, for reasons completely unrelated to its present hatedom.

(Specifically, I dropped it because "trapped in a virtual world, but you die in real life" was a stupid premise in my opinion. Clearly that's something that even some haters like about it, so...)

When it first came out I dropped it for this same reason. Well, I didn't go as far as thinking it was stupid, but the idea didn't really appeal to me. I thought I'd be getting something more similar to Log Horizon (with strategy and planning and all that shit) than what it eventually ended up as. After a while I gave it another try and was happy with the result. Turns out that it wasn't such a strategy anime and it had more romance than I expected, so I ended up enjoying it.
Sep 5, 2018 4:41 AM

Jan 2017
I dropped it first time and then i gave it a try again (dont know why tbh). It is a fine/watchable anime i guess? Nothing more than that.
Let me tell u some plus and minus points of it which doesnt contain potential spoilers :-

Plus = Artstyle and Animation is top notch. I can assure u that not many anime in this genre have such good action scenes.

Minus = It is overly melodramatic which doesnt suit the whole context of anime.

I can name more but they might be called potential spoilers like i said above so i will refrain from it.
Sep 5, 2018 12:10 PM

May 2009
TheDeadApostle said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Sorry, I dropped it after the first episode, for reasons completely unrelated to its present hatedom.

(Specifically, I dropped it because "trapped in a virtual world, but you die in real life" was a stupid premise in my opinion. Clearly that's something that even some haters like about it, so...)

When it first came out I dropped it for this same reason. Well, I didn't go as far as thinking it was stupid, but the idea didn't really appeal to me. I thought I'd be getting something more similar to Log Horizon (with strategy and planning and all that shit) than what it eventually ended up as. After a while I gave it another try and was happy with the result. Turns out that it wasn't such a strategy anime and it had more romance than I expected, so I ended up enjoying it.
Well yeah that's basically what I meant by "stupid in my opinion" -- that it didn't appeal to me, and then after dropping it I didn't think much else of it.

Unlike you, though, the romance aspect isn't likely to be something that sells me on a work.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 5, 2018 1:01 PM

Apr 2014
Moved from Anime Discussion
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Sep 5, 2018 11:36 PM
Jul 2018
NoLiferSoul said:

what does moved from anime discussion mean? I'm new to these forum threads so I don't know what that means.
Sep 5, 2018 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
NoLiferSoul said:

Never mind I just checked the message
Sep 5, 2018 11:41 PM

Jan 2018
It means a mod got triggered and sent you to the hole.
Sep 8, 2018 2:21 PM

Oct 2015
KewpieBabe said:
The animation quality is superb, but lots of people think the story is lacking.

I really enjoyed the series, and I think it's in the top 5 of the best isekai anime (I'd rate it as #2 and Log horizon as #!).
The animation quality is not "superb".
Also, if SAO is the #2 isekai anime, idk what KonoSuba would qualify as.
Sep 8, 2018 2:24 PM

Oct 2015
An0nim said:
81Koyomi_Araragi said:

I'm not really sure but he always talks a lot about Oregairu.

SAO is better than Oregairu. Trust me, your friend is such a troll.

Wow. That's a pretty terrible opinion xD SAO is definitely inferior to oregairu. I hope you are mistaking oregairu with oreimo.
Sep 8, 2018 9:00 PM

Apr 2018
Nostalgik said:
An0nim said:

SAO is better than Oregairu. Trust me, your friend is such a troll.

Wow. That's a pretty terrible opinion xD SAO is definitely inferior to oregairu. I hope you are mistaking oregairu with oreimo.

Nope. I was really talking about Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
Sep 8, 2018 10:05 PM

Sep 2017
1st season is watchable for most I mean its not a crappy anime. so you can just watch the 1st season and decide for yourself.
Sep 8, 2018 10:06 PM

May 2013
It starts out real good at the first 14 Or was it 15 episodes but falls off horribly the rest of the season. SAO hate is just a mainstream bandwagon thing from the newcomers so don't mind them.
SAO was such a good show during Sword Art Online part while it didn't fully realize it's full potential.
The hate started when Alfheim Online started and gave us something completely different to the first one which was really lackluster so fans raged so much about it. Then the haters of the first part along with the former fans created hate threads across the internet, the latter understandable. SAO was gaining popularity that time since one of the big 4 mainstream anime where ending when it started.Then it became a standard norm for mainstream newcomers to hate on SAO completely on every aspect of it and call it the worst anime as a bandwagon to make themselves look edgy or cool.
DarkwindJRSep 8, 2018 10:11 PM
Sep 10, 2018 11:46 AM

Jul 2014
Shit hit the fan at episode 3 in season 1, I'll leave it at that.
Sep 10, 2018 2:09 PM

Oct 2017
I'd say try 3 eps and don't listen to what people said.
Sep 16, 2018 6:32 PM
Aug 2018
You should watch it. It is a good anime in my opinion...
Well the big irony despite being so hated I don't know why it's still no.2 in fantasy category in terms of members
Sep 16, 2018 6:54 PM

Jan 2016
Go ahead, there comes a time in everyone's life when they have to decide what side of the SAO spectrum they're on.
Sep 24, 2018 7:03 PM

Feb 2016
I don't recommend it at all tbh.
Oct 20, 2018 11:16 AM
Aug 2018
It's all up to you. I would say that watch it and decide it by yourself whether to keep going or to stop. There are many positive and negative points in the anime . There are thousands of criticizers of Sao whereas there are also people who are totally engrossed with it. So in the end it all depends on your taste and you.
Oct 21, 2018 5:15 AM

Sep 2016
I think what your friend actually meant is "It's the most undeservedly popular Anime ever" and that is certainly the case.
This show is so downright mediocre, it doesn't even deserve to be in the Top 1000 popularity-wise
but for some odd reasons SAO turned out to be like Justin Bieber's "Baby" which also became facepalmingly popular.

To the topic question:
Watch it (if you haven't already) just to get a reference point of what mediocrity is like, that will help to give more reliable scores in the future.
ZarutakuOct 21, 2018 5:28 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Oct 22, 2018 1:39 PM

Oct 2014
You should watch it. If an anime gets a hate banner from the masses It means that it was really good at some point and people were intrigued by it.There are things you should try before believing words.You might not enjoy the second season but do look forward to it
BTW To test an anime
1.watch the first episode
2.if you like it move to the second and so on.

Oct 23, 2018 4:59 AM
Apr 2018
Sword art onlineis a must watch anime cuz u find more than adventure here trist for new power development of protogonist & brand new trilling episodes
Oct 25, 2018 8:51 PM
Sep 2014
People, especially SAO fanboys, will always tell you to "watch everything and ignore the hate bandwagon", which defeats the purpose of you coming here to get a second opinion/review rather than having jumped into the anime directly to try it out. Since you did the latter, I'm just going to assume you wanted to know if it's worth spending your time watching this instead of some other anime. Don't force yourself to like or spend time watching SAO just because a fanboy says "it'll get better"; if you find yourself disliking it after a few episodes or even just one, feel free to drop it entirely. And you can criticize it despite not having watched all of it, despite what the fanboys may say.
Feb 8, 2019 3:34 PM
Feb 2019
Yes you should watch it
Jun 13, 2019 2:49 PM
Sep 2018
81Koyomi_Araragi said:
It's just one of those popular anime I haven't watched and everyone seems to hate it. With a new season coming in fall this year I thought of giving it a try but a friend advised against it saying. "It's the worst anime ever". Now I can't really tell whether my friend really hates it or was just saying because it was popular thing to hate on SAO back when it aired. I've seen some clips and from that the animation and fights look good and calling it the worst ever seems to be an exaggeration. Is it something every anime fan should atleast give a try?
no sao isnt the worst anime ever,but its a shit show,why? then watch it,it doesnt take that long to show how bad it is anyway,but if u like it,then keep watching.
sao has a good thing,which is budget,animation and ost,the rest is shit,yes i hate it,iam a hater,but i knew all of that because i watch it.
Jun 13, 2019 2:59 PM

Jun 2019
Yes absolutely if for nothing else for kirito alone he is such a husbando or waifu material depending on which season you watch
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Can someone explain?

infinite_Shadows - Jun 3

19 by nasralkhatib »»
Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1446 by kosarzek »»
Jun 6, 7:11 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

74 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 4, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2012

1269 by Hesmiyu »»
Jun 4, 7:15 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2012

544 by Kraum »»
May 26, 11:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.