Forum Settings
Forums

If you could switch lives with an anime character...

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 18, 2015 5:28 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
Celestrial2 said:

When something traumatic happens, especially at a young age, it shapes who you are as a person. Her dark past definitely shaped and we can't tell if she'd be the same way without it

I agree that it shapes who she is, but I think that the foundations of her personality will stay the same. I normally wouldn't ignore her past, but this thread is about inserting myself. I can't possibly insert myself in her past, that would defeat the purpose of inserting myself in the first place.
it's switch place cherry. it's about choosing to experience what the character you've chose gone through.
Dec 18, 2015 5:29 AM

Dec 2015
Gensan said:
CherryLover said:

I agree that it shapes who she is, but I think that the foundations of her personality will stay the same. I normally wouldn't ignore her past, but this thread is about inserting myself. I can't possibly insert myself in her past, that would defeat the purpose of inserting myself in the first place.
it's switch place cherry. it's about choosing to experience what the character you've chose gone through.

Can I not choose to experience part of the character? What's so bad about that? Stop picking on Sakura.
Dec 18, 2015 5:32 AM

Nov 2013
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:

Can I not choose to experience part of the character? What's so bad about that? Stop picking on Sakura.

no one is hating on sakura. Its just the point of the thread is all. I can't say I won't to be Guts but skip everything until post... um.. post episode 25. Because nothing goes from then on. But if I want to be Guts it would 100% need to include all the HORRIBLE, GRUESOME pain and suffering he's been through as well. Otherwise I wouldn't really be Guts at all.
Dec 18, 2015 5:33 AM

Dec 2015
Celestrial2 said:
CherryLover said:

no one is hating on sakura. Its just the point of the thread is all. I can't say I won't to be Guts but skip everything until post... um.. post episode 25. Because nothing goes from then on. But if I want to be Guts it would 100% need to include all the HORRIBLE, GRUESOME pain and suffering he's been through as well.

I understand where you're coming from, but wouldn't you want to be Guts post-episode 25, knowing you have suffered but not having to experience it yourself? Experiencing it yourself seems to be needless torture, to be honest.
Dec 18, 2015 5:35 AM

Nov 2013
CherryLover said:
Celestrial2 said:

no one is hating on sakura. Its just the point of the thread is all. I can't say I won't to be Guts but skip everything until post... um.. post episode 25. Because nothing goes from then on. But if I want to be Guts it would 100% need to include all the HORRIBLE, GRUESOME pain and suffering he's been through as well.

I understand where you're coming from, but wouldn't you want to be Guts post-episode 25, knowing you have suffered but not having to experience it yourself? Experiencing it yourself seems to be needless torture, to be honest.

That just in how life works. That would be saying I want to be LIKE Guts rather than saying I want to BE Guts.
Dec 18, 2015 5:35 AM
Jul 2018
LELOUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 18, 2015 5:37 AM

Dec 2015
Celestrial2 said:
CherryLover said:

That just in how life works. That would be saying I want to be LIKE Guts rather than saying I want to BE Guts.

But being LIKE Guts would be taking on part of his characteristics. If you're ACTUALLY Guts (post ep25), you're him, but only that you've inserted yourself after the torture.
Dec 18, 2015 5:41 AM

May 2013
Hmm, Layfon Alseif from CSR so my life could be a lot more interesting with all the danger.
Dec 18, 2015 5:44 AM

Aug 2014
Kumagawa Misogi. I would love trolling the fk out of everyone.
Dec 18, 2015 5:46 AM

Nov 2014
Ash(Satoshi).
Dec 18, 2015 5:50 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:

you missed the pointed of the thread. try thinking why everyone choosing a fun/troll/harem character instead of their favorite.
Dec 18, 2015 5:55 AM

Dec 2015
Gensan said:
CherryLover said:

you missed the pointed of the thread. try thinking why everyone choosing a fun/troll/harem character instead of their favorite.

But as I said, it's possible to be the character without having to insert yourself from the very beginning of their life.
Dec 18, 2015 6:04 AM
Mar 2008
CherryLover said:
Celestrial2 said:

But being LIKE Guts would be taking on part of his characteristics. If you're ACTUALLY Guts (post ep25), you're him, but only that you've inserted yourself after the torture.

What would be even the point switching with one character but only the good parts and not the bad as well if both parts are what makes the characters what/how they are?
Being Guts from Berserk means also going through everything he has gone through since it is part of his life.
Dec 18, 2015 6:06 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:

But as I said, it's possible to be the character without having to insert yourself from the very beginning of their life.
Cherry, troll lvl = pro.
Dec 18, 2015 6:09 AM

Dec 2015
Gensan said:
CherryLover said:

Cherry, troll lvl = pro.

There you go with your "troll" thing again. Whenever you see an opinion different from yours, you label it as trolling. For your information, I'm not trolling, nor do I condone such acts.
Dec 18, 2015 6:11 AM

Dec 2015
Eren, because i want to kill all the titans..
Dec 18, 2015 6:11 AM

Aug 2014
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:
Cherry, troll lvl = pro.

There you go with your "troll" thing again. Whenever you see an opinion different from yours, you label it as trolling. For your information, I'm not trolling, nor do I condone such acts.

Would Guts be the person we know without his past? No. Would Kiritsugu act the way he did without his past? Mostlikely not. Would the Stay Night Illya's do like they did without their pasts? No.

The past of Sakura is what makes her who she is. Without having gone through her past, you wouldn't be Sakura to begin with.
Dec 18, 2015 6:13 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:
Cherry, troll lvl = pro.

no not about different opinion,
telling you that you missed the point to the thread, but you ignored it.....
Dec 18, 2015 6:13 AM

Jan 2015
Shinji, because I hate myself.
Dec 18, 2015 6:15 AM

Dec 2015
Gensan said:
CherryLover said:

As I said, I understand the point of the thread, but I want to make it clear that I believe it is also possible to insert myself into a character that has already experienced pain in their lives and yet not be in that pain because the "person" I've inserted into has already experienced the pain.

Think of it like split personalities. I am that person, but I didn't feel the pain because I wasn't there before I started controlling the character.
Dec 18, 2015 6:19 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:

As I said, I understand the point of the thread, but I want to make it clear that I believe it is also possible to insert myself into a character that has already experienced pain in their lives and yet not be in that pain because the "person" I've inserted into has already experienced the pain.

Think of it like split personalities. I am that person, but I didn't feel the pain because I wasn't there before I started controlling the character.
= denying her past and just want her happy life = denying your favorite character existence.
Dec 18, 2015 6:20 AM

Jan 2013
Onizuka Eikichi
Dec 18, 2015 6:20 AM

Jul 2015
Ryuuji from Toradora, because my life is already very much like his, and I'm relatively content with it.
Dec 18, 2015 6:25 AM

Dec 2015
Gensan said:
CherryLover said:

= denying her past and just want her happy life = denying your favorite character existence.

You keep missing my point. I'm not denying her past's existence, I'm saying I can enjoy being her without having personally experienced the pain she felt before, with the full knowledge of what has happened. Does that clear it up?
Dec 18, 2015 6:25 AM

May 2015
Ash/Satoshi
Dec 18, 2015 6:31 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:

You keep missing my point. I'm not denying her past's existence, I'm saying I can enjoy being her without having personally experienced the pain she felt before, with the full knowledge of what has happened. Does that clear it up?
No, if you want her happiness you should've chose to be Shirou and take care of her. by choosing to replace her that mean you've already removed her and by choosing to avoid her past which is the last thing there you've just erased her existence. her past is her existence just because you know it doesnt make you her.
Dec 18, 2015 6:34 AM

Dec 2015
Gensan said:
CherryLover said:

No, if you want her happiness you should've chose to be Shirou and take care of her. by choosing to replace her that mean you've already removed her and by choosing to avoid her past which is the last thing there you've just erased her existence. her past is her existence just because you know it doesnt make you her.

I see your point, but you don't understand mine. I'm saying her past is part of her existence, but I don't have to personally experience it to be her. Meaning I can become the her that has already succeeded in finding happiness, having "experienced" her past already.
Dec 18, 2015 6:37 AM
Mar 2015
Ash from Pokemon.
Dec 18, 2015 6:39 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:

I see your point, but you don't understand mine. I'm saying her past is part of her existence, but I don't have to personally experience it to be her. Meaning I can become the her that has already succeeded in finding happiness, having "experienced" her past already.
Then you're not becoming her, you're just being yourself with the knowledge of her past and stealing her place/happiness. you switch with her and choose to be yourself which also mean you deny her existence.
Dec 18, 2015 6:40 AM
Oct 2013
Shiba Tatsuya
Dec 18, 2015 6:40 AM

Dec 2015
Gensan said:
CherryLover said:

Then you're not becoming her, you just becoming yourself with the knowledge of her past. you switch with her and choose to be yourself which also mean you deny her existence.

No, that's becoming her. I'm no longer myself because I am "Matou Sakura", but I am not the Matou Sakura of the past. Rather, I am the Matou Sakura who has already experienced the past and is now living in the present. That doesn't deny her existence at all.
Dec 18, 2015 6:42 AM
Mar 2008
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:

But you didnt actually experienced it and thats the point. By not experiencing it, you cant possibly switch with her. What you can do is trying to be her but not actually be her.
Dec 18, 2015 6:47 AM

Dec 2015
MahadoKusanagi said:
CherryLover said:

But you didnt actually experienced it and thats the point. By not experiencing it, you cant possibly switch with her. What you can do is trying to be her but not actually be her.

So are you saying those that want to be a character have to live their lives from the moment they are born? Because that is unreasonable. Why can't you be a character at one particular point in their lives? As I said, I've "experienced" it, but I would not have actually experienced it, as I wasn't her at that point. I would, however, have the memories of being tortured. That's what I'm trying to say.
Dec 18, 2015 6:50 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
Gensan said:
Then you're not becoming her, you just becoming yourself with the knowledge of her past. you switch with her and choose to be yourself which also mean you deny her existence.

No, that's becoming her. I'm no longer myself because I am "Matou Sakura", but I am not the Matou Sakura of the past. Rather, I am the Matou Sakura who has already experienced the past and is now living in the present. That doesn't deny her existence at all.
No, you're just yourself with the name of "Matou Sakura" with the knowledge of Matou Sakura's past. choosing to become Matou Sakura without her past is just being yourself with Sakura's happiness. Her past is what she is, you chose to avoid her past which mean you didnt want to be her, you just want to be yourself with her happiness.
Dec 18, 2015 6:50 AM
Mar 2008
CherryLover said:
MahadoKusanagi said:

So are you saying those that want to be a character have to live their lives from the moment they are born? Because that is unreasonable. Why can't you be a character at one particular point in their lives? As I said, I've "experienced" it, but I would not have actually experienced it, as I wasn't her at that point. I would, however, have the memories of being tortured. That's what I'm trying to say.

Just having the memories of it is not the same as actually experience it in any form. There you can only think that you are her, which would be an illusion and not the real thing. If necessary, then yes, you would had to go through her childhood and birth-point.
Dec 18, 2015 6:55 AM

Dec 2015
Gensan said:
CherryLover said:

No, you're just yourself with the name of "Matou Sakura" with the knowledge of Matou Sakura's past. choosing to become Matou Sakura without her past is just being yourself with Sakura's happiness. Her past is what she is, you chose to avoid her past which mean you didnt want to be her, you just want to be yourself with her happiness.

No, that's only if I'm denying her past's existence, I'm saying I can enjoy being her without having personally experienced the pain she felt before because that's the best way I can think of putting it. I'm not avoiding her past or denying it. I'm embracing it, in fact, but that I am the "Matou Sakura" who has already experienced all of this, but since I wasn't Matou Sakura when she was tortured, I do not go through the pain, instead only remembering it because I AM Matou Sakura, and I have that memory.
Dec 18, 2015 6:58 AM
Dec 2015
Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara)
Emiya Shirou (Fate UBW)
Speedwagon (Jojo Bizarre Adventure)
Kyubey (Madoka Magica)
Gendo Ikari (Evangelion)
Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Dec 18, 2015 7:06 AM

Jul 2014
CherryLover said:
No, that's only if I'm denying her past's existence,
You're avoiding her past which is the same thing
CherryLover said:

I'm saying I can enjoy being her without having personally experienced the pain she felt before because that's the best way I can think of putting it.
That's enjoy being yourself in her place by eliminating her existence.
CherryLover said:
I'm not avoiding her past or denying it. I'm embracing it, in fact, but that I am the "Matou Sakura" who has already experienced all of this, but since I wasn't Matou Sakura when she was tortured, I do not go through the pain, instead only remembering it because I AM Matou Sakura, and I have that memory.
You're not embracing her past you just denying her and try pretending to be her by keeping her memory.

Will you becoming Matou Sakura right now if you change your name to Matou Sakura? NO. Sakura is about her past, if you dont experience you're not her.
Dec 18, 2015 7:10 AM

Jul 2014
Tachibana Ritsuka from Dance with devils so i can get confessed to by 5 hot demons and 1 hot vampire.
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Dec 18, 2015 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
Kurusu (MC) from monster musume bcuz i like monster girls
Dec 19, 2015 5:36 AM
Dec 2013
Ash to have pokemon, Kirito to be in aincrad, or goku
Dec 19, 2015 5:44 AM

Jul 2015
Some vball star from Haikyuu
Dec 19, 2015 9:18 AM

Jan 2012
DarkLordofYuri said:
Who would you pick?<br />
<br />
Me, no doubt I&#039;d switch with Issei, because he gets cool powers, Rias, Akeno, epic battles, oh and did I mention Rias?

You perv!!! Nah just kidding... But I do think many male anime fans would choose a harem anime, just to get some__.
Dec 19, 2015 9:19 AM

Apr 2014
Dec 19, 2015 9:47 AM

Oct 2014
Kinda hard not to go with Araragi from the Monogatari series. Mind you, I'm still only on Monogatari 2nd Season so it's still conditional.

8oomerDec 19, 2015 11:25 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Dec 19, 2015 9:49 AM

Sep 2013
Yukari Yakumo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 19, 2015 9:51 AM
Jan 2015
JewellTH said:
CherryLover said:
Matou Sakura.
<br />
You&#039;d want to be in the place of the girl who was raped for 10 years by her adoptive brother and was raped by bugs a year before the ten years?<br />
Nah she was raped by worms for 11 years, then raped by Shinji for 2 years after that.
My Queens

Dec 19, 2015 9:55 AM

Jul 2015
keima : because i love elsie and shiori
Dec 19, 2015 9:55 AM

Jul 2015
-Mahesvara said:
JewellTH said:
<br />
You&#039;d want to be in the place of the girl who was raped for 10 years by her adoptive brother and was raped by bugs a year before the ten years?<br />
Nah she was raped by worms for 11 years, then raped by Shinji for 2 years after that.

and then violated by fake grail, she has no luck.
Dec 19, 2015 10:04 AM

Jul 2013
-Mahesvara said:
JewellTH said:
<br />

I can't really tell the difference betwwwn Shinji and the worms, tbh.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - Apr 16

45 by Anjuro »»
5 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect, part 2.

Gashadokur0 - 4 hours ago

14 by Gashadokur0 »»
10 minutes ago

» Why Trap Characters are good

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

16 by shin0by »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime that spurs you to read its continuation in manga, LN or VN

niknasr - 15 minutes ago

0 by niknasr »»
15 minutes ago

» What is the greatest anime crime?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

10 by Ratris_Decision »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.