Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 26, 2015 6:11 AM

Oct 2013
cause said:
NoongaJuice said:
I don't know where I stand on this. While it's awesome for someone to make a living off of something they love, I don't want every little kid saying "Mommy, I wanna be a youtuber!" growing up.

Why? Isn't it the same as saying "I want to be an actor"?

I'm not quite sure. At least for acting, there are specified measures you can take- getting lessons, all that jazz. But that isn't my problem with it. I'm all for entertainment, but we can't have everyone goofing around behind a webcam while the world breaks down around us.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jul 26, 2015 11:39 AM

Apr 2012
It is a job if you get big. I mean you have to keep throwing out content on a regular basis. It's probably more time consuming than you think. You also have to tailor your videos to your fan base.

I don't think it is possible to hold another job if you are one of those big youtubers. Not to mention they most likely do live streaming on a daily basis.
zzzeallyJul 26, 2015 11:42 AM

Jul 26, 2015 11:52 AM

May 2015
Gov said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Popularity isn't quality and money is not an achievement, in and of itself. Money is a tool. I'm more impressed with people who are doing interesting things with their money than simply gettin' paper.

PewDiePie did have some worthwhile charity moments, or so I heard, and I'm glad he's using his mone for a good cause. It doesn't make his content any less pathetic. It's just a person vomiting a stream of bad jokes, parodying Mike Patton's scream while playing a video game. I can't see any value in it, or how it contributes to society beyond just killing time.

You seem angry that he is making that bread while you aren't.

You seem to be incapable of staying on topic.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 26, 2015 12:05 PM

Oct 2014
P
TheBrainintheJar said:
cause said:

What? Pewdiepie made 7 million dollars last year. And you call this a "pathetic job"? Content of quality is subjective to those watching it. And he's supplying content that 4 Billion views have brought him in 2014. More even this year. His content may not fit everyone, and I don't like it either, but you can't argue that he's doing something that is his passion and making more money then you or I may ever make.

Are acting jobs a "profession"? Are sports a "profession"? What is the difference between a job and a profession?

Popularity isn't quality and money is not an achievement, in and of itself. Money is a tool. I'm more impressed with people who are doing interesting things with their money than simply gettin' paper.

PewDiePie did have some worthwhile charity moments, or so I heard, and I'm glad he's using his mone for a good cause. It doesn't make his content any less pathetic. It's just a person vomiting a stream of bad jokes, parodying Mike Patton's scream while playing a video game. I can't see any value in it, or how it contributes to society beyond just killing time.
peoplewill do anything for money sadly
Jul 26, 2015 2:11 PM

Mar 2015
My opinion.

Youtube can be a job if your getting paid and making a living off your videos for entertainment.

It's a hobby though if you want to make videos just out of enjoyment of making them without wanting a partnership or money for making them.

I'm not saying though that people who only take youtube as a hobby don't make entertaining videos as well just more the fact that they don't really care if they get paid for it or not.
Jul 26, 2015 2:18 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
It can be. The thing is, channels don't become popular overnight for the most part. It seems that most big Youtubers will have had another job or went to college before, and then after their channels get a lot of views and subscribers (1 million subscribers or so) THEN they quit their jobs and start using their channel as their career/business. Only depending on your Youtube channel from the start is risky, like almost anyone starting out in the entertainment business. It's a bit like an actor who has only landed a few roles; they're usually working as a waiter or waitress somewhere too.

So yes, you're right; most Youtubers will have another job when starting out. You can view Youtube as a crappy paying freelance job (if one hasn't taken off yet/ever).

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 14, 2015 1:02 AM
Jun 2015
Not really but it can be its more like a small little hobby.
Aug 14, 2015 1:09 AM
Nov 2009
No, because real jobs require lots of hard work, effort, etc. Making videos is not hard work, but pure enjoyment and leisure.

It can be a job for bums, nonetheless.
Aug 14, 2015 1:13 AM

Apr 2015
It depends how you define job.
By my standards it is for some, let's just use Pewdiepie for example, he makes ~$7.4 a year, and making videos is all he does in his time, he doesn't have another job and I highly doubt he needs one, so if he can support himself on youtube, then yes, I'd say it's his job.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Aug 14, 2015 1:17 AM

Oct 2012
"living by doing what you like, huh?"
I guess it's OK as long as you're alone and young. I don't see this being a stable job. Like for example, being 35+ and having a kid, could you support the family with a youtube channel where, typically, you do comedic videos, play games or make up tutorials? I know I could never do it. At a certain point I would grow apart from my past self that started youtube and my audience would also move on, grow up, find a job and the younger audience would find me old.
And, who would hire me then? Past work experience: I did some comedy sketches and played video games on youtube.

Aug 14, 2015 1:32 AM

Oct 2014
If you're a worthless fuck like Pewdiepie or anyone who can only distribute their content through Youtube due to there being no market elsewhere, then no. That's just getting free money because you happened to get popular. If you make animations, informational videos, music, or anything else that actually is a job but it's easiest to get popular on Youtube rather than elsewhere, then of course it's a job. If Youtube suddenly stops being popular all of the youtube gamers will be unemployed, but the other people might be able to find other work in their field.
Aug 14, 2015 3:29 AM

Mar 2013
[/quote] If your creativity are being paid, it's a job.[/quote]

couldnt say it better :)
Aug 15, 2015 9:31 PM

Jul 2009
Yes. I work at a Multi-Channel Network company (like Machinima and others), and I can tell you that for quite a bunch of people, it pays largely enough to be a job, and a comfortable one.
Aug 15, 2015 9:33 PM

May 2009
No.
Aug 16, 2015 1:38 AM

Jun 2012
Yes. I think a lot of people underestimate how hard it is to keep coming up with original content and putting it out on a consistent basis. Obviously if you arent earning enough then you should have another job but if you can live on your youtube income, why wouldnt you? more time means you can come up with more content and have more time to make the content better, which means more income generally.

I'm a bit jelous of people that can do what they love for a living Q.Q

not that i'm that bad off, but still xD
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Aug 18, 2015 11:27 AM

Jul 2009
jimbob1141 said:
Yes. I think a lot of people underestimate how hard it is to keep coming up with original content and putting it out on a consistent basis. Obviously if you arent earning enough then you should have another job but if you can live on your youtube income, why wouldnt you? more time means you can come up with more content and have more time to make the content better, which means more income generally.

I'm a bit jelous of people that can do what they love for a living Q.Q

not that i'm that bad off, but still xD

Exactly, that's why "Youtuber" is not the proper job title that we use in the industry. We generally use "Web Producer". Moreover most people tend to forget that they have multiple jobs doing so: producing, directing, acting, editing, post processing, and monitoring the metrics.
Aug 18, 2015 11:35 AM
Jun 2014
Nico- said:
To me, I think it can be a job, since you are technically being paid, but it should not be the only job one person should have in my opinion.

Yea, pewdiepie made like 7 mil last year. You think he should find another job? If they can live off of it, they don't need to find another job.
KaiwaiikillahAug 18, 2015 11:38 AM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Aug 18, 2015 12:07 PM
Dec 2014
yaa
Aug 18, 2015 12:25 PM

Jun 2015
why does this thread keep getting necroed? Just let it die.
Aug 18, 2015 1:05 PM

Oct 2012
If can make a living off just using Youtube it's a job like any other. I don't understand why people "look down" on youtubers at all.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

59 by GinIonSui »»
9 seconds ago

» please use online shopping wisely

FruitPunchBaka - 46 minutes ago

1 by Theo1899 »»
14 minutes ago

» Aliens and religion ?

Acnera - Jul 2, 2016

20 by deg »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these 6 things matters most to you?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 1

31 by shiroha »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you think we will have Terminator-like robots or will we have Detroit Become Human-like robots in the future?

Absurdo_N - 6 hours ago

3 by deg »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.