Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 20, 2014 12:04 AM

Mar 2014
Pretty sure u can't learn Japanese just by watching a whole bunch of anime. xD
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jun 20, 2014 12:05 AM

Jun 2014
I beg to differ. xD
Jun 20, 2014 12:07 AM

Jun 2014
StrawberryRain said:

u can learn a few words or two when u come across them multiple times. Other than that, i dont think it really works
Jun 20, 2014 12:08 AM

Oct 2012
StrawberryRain said:
OP never implied that
Jun 20, 2014 12:09 AM

Jan 2014
It takes years to learn Japanese. I've study the language for a few years, and I'm still not fluent in it. It takes determination to study Japanese. I did it because I Needed to learn Japanese. If you're a person that wants to learn for fun, or just so you can read manga in Raw, then I would say it's not worth it. The time and dedication to learn this language can be really time consuming.
Jun 20, 2014 12:13 AM

Nov 2012
I remember reading somewhere about how good it is for your brain/memory to be able to memorize Kanji, it helps with some type of memory which I forgot the name...
Other than that, it's always fun to know another language, even if you're not interested in Japanese anime/manga enterteinment. A language that doesn't use roman alphabet looks even more interesting.

I've memorized ~300 kanji on kanjidamage so far, although I haven't touched Japanese for about a month I'm pretty sure I still remember most of them.
Jun 20, 2014 12:14 AM

Jun 2014
It's fun to make it a goal to memorize at least one new word everyday.
Jun 20, 2014 12:17 AM

Sep 2012
If I ever plan on studying a second language then it'll be Japanese. I'm gonna sound like a really stereotypical anime fan in saying this but I think it's the most beautiful sounding out of all the languages.

I've also already have a heard start because of anime and it'll benefit me in my hobby, so why not?
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jun 20, 2014 12:44 AM

Mar 2012
StrawberryRain said:

Why?? I'm fluent in english by playing rpg games, mmo and watching tv series...

About Japanese, i'm already know a hundred of words tops, but still, just because i can't do it, doens't applies that anyone can...Just saying.

Btw, Japanese ain't useless, i want live in Japan, so better learn their language.
Jun 20, 2014 12:45 AM

Mar 2013
Korrvo said:
If I ever plan on studying a second language then it'll be Japanese. I'm gonna sound like a really stereotypical anime fan in saying this but I think it's the most beautiful sounding out of all the languages.

I've also already have a heard start because of anime and it'll benefit me in my hobby, so why not?

French is better, if only for cursing with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8nMTuMHWY

StrawberryRain said:

Magic Schoolbus taught me english.
Jun 20, 2014 12:48 AM

Oct 2012
goldslash said:
StrawberryRain said:

About Japanese, i'm already know a hundred of words tops, but still, just because i can't do it, doens't applies that anyone can...Just saying.

Btw, Japanese ain't useless, i want live in Japan, so better learn their language.
Before trying to be fluent in Japanese, you might wanna take some English lessons
Jun 20, 2014 1:06 AM

Mar 2012
jayss said:
Before trying to be fluent in Japanese, you might wanna take some English lessons

There has only minor errors, that i don't bother commiting, 'cause in a forum, for me what matters is speed...
Btw, my certificate says otherwise.I already did the TOELF... I pass, so it's okay for me, is proof enough.

just because i couldn't do it, doens't mean that anyone couldn't. Whatever man, fuck you.

And fluent mean that i can speak,read,write and understand. Not that i must follow the grammar a hundred percent. I dindn't say to be cool, just to prove that it's possible learning, only doing common things, without taking class or studying it.

Btw, you need to take lessons to understand and process what you read, i never said that i'm trying to be fluent in Japanese, dumbass.
GoldSlashJun 20, 2014 1:13 AM
Jun 20, 2014 1:12 AM

Oct 2012
goldslash said:
jayss said:
Btw, you need to take lessons to, i never did that i'm trying to be fluent in Japanese, dumbass.
I take my words back, you're clearly very fluent.
Jun 20, 2014 1:19 AM

Mar 2012
jayss said:

Wut? Did you change something? Read again:
I never said that i'm trying to be fluent in Japanese

Just read what fluent mean:

So, basically, if i understand something around seventy five percent, already can be considered fluent.

And yeah, dude, you are clearly very funny... Actually you misunderstand the term, [i]fluent[i].

Damn canadians...
GoldSlashJun 20, 2014 1:26 AM
Jun 20, 2014 1:25 AM

Jul 2013
well I can read and watch raw manga/anime if I were to learn their language but using their language in this forum? that's just taking the word weeaboo to a whole new level
Jun 20, 2014 1:29 AM

Oct 2012
goldslash said:
Damn canadians...

:DD
Jun 20, 2014 1:41 AM

Mar 2012
xDrayken said:
goldslash said:
Damn canadians...

What about Canadians? I'm a Canadian who speaks perfect Canadian French, Parisian(France) French, American English, and learning Japanese with perfect pronounciations.

Dude, i don't know, but Canadians are more perfectionists, most of the americans that i know, don't are bothered by the wrong spelling...
And yeah, isn't like that i don't need improve my english, but the last level are harder than the starters one. It would be easy going to U.S.A instead...

Btw, keep up the good work!! Just a doubt... Are there differences beetwen Canadian French and French? Or American English x Canadian English??
Jun 20, 2014 2:09 AM

Nov 2012
goldslash said:

Btw, Japanese ain't useless, i want live in Japan, so better learn(?) their language.
Reveja sua fluência.
But I agree that it's possible to learn english just by playing and watching tv, that's partly how I did. But Japanese isn't as shallow and easy as english. The fact japanese doesn't use our alphabet is another big difference.
Jun 20, 2014 2:17 AM

Dec 2011
xDrayken said:
English English (Like the UK)

'British English' is the term you are looking for.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 20, 2014 2:20 AM

Feb 2008
goldslash said:
So, basically, if i understand something around seventy five percent, already can be considered fluent.

Uhh... no. More like 99% or higher. If you can't express yourself with clarity and find yourself confused 30% of the time then you are certainly not fluent. Being able to interact with people in a language is not the same thing as being fluent in the language.
Jun 20, 2014 2:42 AM

Jun 2014
The laziness level is over... The top.
Jun 20, 2014 2:43 AM
May 2009
Learning Japanese takes to much time. Though if you have paid attention to the Japanese as you were reading the subs, the words and sentences will sink into your memory Thus you can recognise the sentence in real life.

I've learnt to read hirgana and Katakana. And read japanese manga from a second hand book shop, to ensure it sticks. Ideally manga of anime I've seen.

Kanji on the other hand is harder, But the manga helps with the Hiragana on the side of it. Trying to converse in Japanese requires a partner to actually speak with. Finding one that will be willing to converse regularly is hard. Since alot are quite busy.
Jun 20, 2014 2:46 AM

Jun 2014
True that my friend. True that.
Jun 20, 2014 10:00 AM

May 2014
goldslash said:
StrawberryRain said:

You can learn words by watching anime, but reading and writing in Japanese is a different story.
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Jun 20, 2014 10:12 AM

May 2014
xDrayken said:
DarkSyndicate said:
Japanese seems to be one of the most popular languages people want to learn now of days.

I'm pretty sure it's because of anime and manga, etc inspiring people to learn Japanese, but I just find it really funny how so many of them give up before they've even gotten down the hiragana and katakana alphabets.

I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen a guy who loves to post "kawaii" and "arigatou" on every anime/Japanese related youtube video. (sometimes both spelled wrong) I think it would be awesome if more people actually stuck to it.
Maybe we could all be conversing in Japanese in the MAL forums xD

Japanese isn't one of the most popular language people want to learn. You think it is simply because you're around a community that wants to. Japanese isn't even in the top 10 of most spoken languages; even English and French are more popular than Japanese.

In my case I'm learning Japanese because I'm traveling to Japan with my friend in a year or two. I'm helping him learn, too.

It is one of the most popular languages people begin learning/ want to learn. Next to French, German, and Spanish. Of course it's not one of the most spoken languages, I was stating that Japanese specifically gets a lot of attention because of anime, manga and other media, so counting the people that give up on it, it's popular.
Jun 20, 2014 11:03 AM

Nov 2012
I don't think many people give up actually. I know 6 languages including Japanese now, and hell, Japanese is by far the easiest. Besides the reading and writing, when you focus on speaking and understanding it might be one of the easiest languages in the world.
Jun 20, 2014 11:05 AM

Nov 2012
jayss said:
goldslash said:
Btw, you need to take lessons to, i never did that i'm trying to be fluent in Japanese, dumbass.

I've also learned English by movies and the internet, when they actually teached English at school I already knew almost everything so yeah. Some people just have a feeling for languages.
Jun 20, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2014
I've been doing this the past 3 months, got the hiragana and katakana done very slowely. Also learned some basic expressions, days, weeks, months, numbers and some grammar.

Got this book through amazon. I plan to finish it by the end of summer, and I will:
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Mangaland-Learning-The-Basics/dp/4889961151

Just the basics ofcourse, but we'll see how hard of a nerd I can be for this.

I did have some doubts learning this. With english I always enjoyed the lyrics of songs when I didn't understand them, but once I knew what they were actually saying I was kind of a critic for the shit they made up and it just made me enjoy it less. I think I won't have this problem with japanese if I ever get to master it. I think being unknown to what they are saying is part of the fun for me, if that makes any sense...
Jun 20, 2014 12:29 PM

Mar 2012
Veronin said:

Uhh... no. More like 99% or higher. If you can't express yourself with clarity and find yourself confused 30% of the time then you are certainly not fluent. Being able to interact with people in a language is not the same thing as being fluent in the language.

Ain't no guessing here, like you are. Where says it?
Read the damn concept of what fluent mean:

The most hard proefency tests, that foreigeners need to do to prove fluency, it's circa 75%-80%. If it was 99%, people wouldn't pass on those exams, so what you said it's just shit.
First how's 75%-80%, means that you are confused 30% of time?? Nice knowledge of basics algebra, hahaha...Second, (yourself..yourself. Narrow vocabularie you have there).

Setimo said:
goldslash said:

Btw, Japanese ain't useless, i want live in Japan, so better learn(?) their language.
Reveja sua fluência.

De novo, entenda o conceito de fluência, deixa de ser burro cara. Reveja o português aí.
Just because you couldn't do it, doens't mean that anyone couldn't
I wanting to live in Japan.
I have learned English playing games and watching series.
What's wrong with the sentences,then?

Setimo said:
But I agree that it's possible to learn english just by playing and watching tv, that's partly how I did. But Japanese isn't as shallow and easy as english. The fact japanese doesn't use our alphabet is another big difference.

It's what i'm talking about.("but, but'...nice fluent you have there)
Only the Kanjis, Haragana and Katakana, you can write with teh same alphabet as ours.
I agree that people can't learn Kanji just watching.

But Haragana, people can. Looks like the same sentence can be used here.

Shirayukishi said:

I've also learned English by movies and the internet, when they actually teached English at school I already knew almost everything so yeah. Some people just have a feeling for languages.

I agree...

DarkSyndicate said:

You can learn words by watching anime, but reading and writing in Japanese is a different story.

And i'm don't talking about me, just to clarify.
GoldSlashJun 20, 2014 12:51 PM
Jun 20, 2014 1:52 PM

Nov 2012
goldslash said:
Setimo said:
Reveja sua fluência.

De novo, entenda o conceito de fluência, deixa de ser burro cara. Reveja o português aí.
I wanting to live in Japan.
I have learned English playing games and watching series.
What's wrong with the sentences,then?
Não disse que tu não tinha fluência, só sugeri revê-la. Não se irrite à toa... (And the 2nd sentence is still wrong)

goldslash said:
Setimo said:

It's what i'm talking about.("but, but'...nice fluent you have there)
Only the Kanjis, Haragana and Katakana, you can write with teh same alphabet as ours.
I agree that people can't learn Kanji just watching.

But Haragana, people can.
"But" is used to give contrast to a previous statement, I see nothing wrong with them here...
Bold: what? that phrase is ambiguous, it probably wouldn't be a problem have you been more fluent (jk, jk). All three of them can be used with our alphabet (romaji), but nobody uses romaji so it's completely unpractical in the real world.
Just curious, how does one learn "Haragana" just by watching anime?
Can someone with over 1k anime watched give any input on this? ^
Jun 20, 2014 3:47 PM

May 2014
Shirayukishi said:
I don't think many people give up actually. I know 6 languages including Japanese now, and hell, Japanese is by far the easiest. Besides the reading and writing, when you focus on speaking and understanding it might be one of the easiest languages in the world.

Increasing Japanese vocabulary is pretty easy. There's nothing complex about it; there are the particles and their meanings, and there are the words, and once you hear them, you most likely know how to spell them.

Learning Kanji and more words is where I'm at now. Not really "hard" as much as a long process; there's about 2,000 to learn anyway.
Jun 20, 2014 3:54 PM

May 2014
semperdickus said:
I've been doing this the past 3 months, got the hiragana and katakana done very slowely. Also learned some basic expressions, days, weeks, months, numbers and some grammar.

Got this book through amazon. I plan to finish it by the end of summer, and I will:
http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Mangaland-Learning-The-Basics/dp/4889961151

Just the basics ofcourse, but we'll see how hard of a nerd I can be for this.

I did have some doubts learning this. With english I always enjoyed the lyrics of songs when I didn't understand them, but once I knew what they were actually saying I was kind of a critic for the shit they made up and it just made me enjoy it less. I think I won't have this problem with japanese if I ever get to master it. I think being unknown to what they are saying is part of the fun for me, if that makes any sense...

I also really like the Japanese songs even though I only know a quarter of the words they're saying.
Jun 20, 2014 3:55 PM
Mar 2011
Shirayukishi said:

what Kanken level would you be up to
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 20, 2014 4:01 PM

May 2014
FGAU1912 said:
Shirayukishi said:

The hell with that, Level 1 requires knowledge of 6000 Kanji. If you're trying to learn Chinese, maybe that's useful
Jun 20, 2014 4:04 PM
Mar 2011
DarkSyndicate said:
FGAU1912 said:

The hell with that, Level 1 requires knowledge of 6000 Kanji. I'm not trying to learn Chinese.

im a native and i iv just past my 2

that 6000 is all the Japanese Kanji
do you know Kabun
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jun 20, 2014 4:08 PM

Mar 2012
Setimo said:
Não disse que tu não tinha fluência, só sugeri revê-la. Não se irrite à toa... (And the 2nd sentence is still wrong)

Okay, peço desculpas pelo meu jeito, amigo.
É que na verdade, eu só quis reforçar uma opinião, no caso a de se poder aprender inglês, sem ir necessariamente à uma escola.E não se gabar sobre isso entende? A maioria das pessoas que me respondeu, interpretou que estivesse apenas se gabando.

Mas lhe agradeço pelas dicas, com certeza, tenho que melhorar e muito meu inglês, ainda mais quando eu uso em fóruns, que eu costumo errar muito mais, por tentar ser mais rápido. Pois normalmente quando tende-se a testes que eu faço internet, eu me concentro mais na hora de escrever, reduzindo bastante o número de erros.

Setimo said:
"But" is used to give contrast to a previous statement, I see nothing wrong with them here...
Bold: what? that phrase is ambiguous, it probably wouldn't be a problem have you been more fluent (jk, jk). All three of them can be used with our alphabet (romaji), but nobody uses romaji so it's completely unpractical in the real world.

Yeah, i always use "but" instead of "however or besides", damn i'm dumb =/
Bad pontuaction, i'm sorry.
I don't know that Kanji can be translated to Romaji...
Sure that's true, it's unpractical, however the question is that you can learn.
But if people want to know the symbols(Kanjis), only studying =/

Just a thought, isn't more easy learning Kanjis after you already know how to write a sentence in japanese using romanji??

Setimo said:

Just curious, how does one learn "Haragana" just by watching anime?
Can someone with over 1k anime watched give any input on this? ^

I use subs on animes + original voice, so somehow i started learning words and more words, quite likely when i was learning english in Tv Series.

Unfortunately i have to agree, Japanese is more difficult.

See ya, brother.
Jun 20, 2014 4:11 PM

Apr 2012
goldslash said:

Just a thought, isn't more easy learning Kanjis after you already know how to write a sentence in japanese using romanji??

Not sure where you got that idea. lol In short: no.
Romaji is weeb level japanese

Jun 20, 2014 4:12 PM

Mar 2012
DarkSyndicate said:

Increasing Japanese vocabulary is pretty easy. There's nothing complex about it; there are the particles and their meanings, and there are the words, and once you hear them, you most likely know how to spell them.

Learning Kanji and more words is where I'm at now. Not really "hard" as much as a long process; there's about 2,000 to learn anyway.

I agree with you, indeed.

DarkSyndicate said:

I also really like the Japanese songs even though I only know a quarter of the words they're saying.

I laugh... Me too, it's always like this, but still i like the background of these songs xD
It's funny too when we try to sing these songs, haha....

What J-bands, that you like the most??
Jun 20, 2014 4:13 PM
Mar 2011
Zeally said:
goldslash said:

Not sure where you got that idea. lol In short: no.
Romaji is weeb level japanese

indeed

Jun 20, 2014 4:20 PM

Mar 2012
Zeally said:

Not sure where you got that idea.

Me neither.

Zeally said:

lol In short: no. Romaji is weeb level japanese

Okay...
Just a tip, you can type in Kanji without understanding them... You write in romanji them the SO transforms into Kanji, or whatever you want... But yeah it's cheating =/

@Topic
Btw, isn't about how much animes people watch, it's about some people that have this kind of skill(i knew a folk, he can speak a lot of languages, portuguese is one of them, i mean the guy had some kind of skill to learn new languages).

I was talking about exceptions though, it's not like is impossible learning that way, just very fucking hard.

See ya guys.
Jun 20, 2014 4:35 PM

Oct 2013
kawaii na weeaboo desu ^V^
Jun 20, 2014 5:18 PM

Aug 2013
StarBurzt said:
Mal would become like a weeaboo gathering place.

That made my day
Jun 20, 2014 5:32 PM

May 2014
goldslash said:
DarkSyndicate said:

DarkSyndicate said:

I laugh... Me too, it's always like this, but still i like the background of these songs xD

I like Fripside, Babymetal is pretty good too. My favorite Japanese songs are "Kimi O Mamoritai" and "Only My Railgun" I recommend listening to them, I think they're really good
Jun 21, 2014 12:59 AM

Mar 2012
DarkSyndicate said:
goldslash said:

I like Fripside, Babymetal is pretty good too. My favorite Japanese songs are "Kimi O Mamoritai" and "Only My Railgun" I recommend listening to them, I think they're really good

I don't know the first yet xD, gonna down it.
About the second it's very good indeed, i had it in my playlist... Fripside is who did that music, right??
Listened all day, with repeat xD

I'm not that fan of FT, but i like Be as One(Winds)...One day(OP)... And Nightmare(The World)...I like a lots of songs, besides my taste look very mainstream =/
Jun 30, 2014 1:44 PM

Jan 2014
I'm not "learning" Japanese, I'm learning Japanese. Started about half a year ago, but stopped for a while, 'cause exams, but now that's over I've now started properly. It's the only thing I decided to take up that lasted more than a week so I'm quite proud of that.

学生だから、お金がないんだ。
Jun 30, 2014 2:55 PM

Nov 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
It's more of a spur of the moment thing. People find out that they aren't going to be using it for much, if anything, and therefore don't bother. It's like how many people think how cool it would be to learn guitar, yet many don't bother if they don't see themselves putting their talents to use.

Or at least that's how I see it anyway.

I practice guitar sometimes and I don't see myself being a good guitar player or having a job in it. ^.^
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Jun 30, 2014 4:16 PM

Nov 2012
DarkSyndicate said:
Shirayukishi said:

That's what I said, when you focus on speaking and understanding it's not hard. Reading and writing is on a complete different level.
Jun 30, 2014 4:17 PM

Jun 2014
DarkSyndicate said:
Japanese seems to be one of the most popular languages people want to learn now of days.

I'm pretty sure it's because of anime and manga, etc inspiring people to learn Japanese, but I just find it really funny how so many of them give up before they've even gotten down the hiragana and katakana alphabets.

I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen a guy who loves to post "kawaii" and "arigatou" on every anime/Japanese related youtube video. (sometimes both spelled wrong) I think it would be awesome if more people actually stuck to it.
Maybe we could all be conversing in Japanese in the MAL forums xD

I want to learn Japanese. Been learning Chinese through classes. Japanese shouldn't be much of a hurdle. It just takes determination and willingness.

Jun 30, 2014 5:08 PM
Pokémon Master

Apr 2014
I've talked to people who just thought learning any language was either to hard or too time consuming.

For me, I'm learning French and it's not that hard.
Jun 30, 2014 5:35 PM
Oct 2013
In my school, we had a choice between spanish, french, or japanese. So I decided to choose Japanese language class. Before joining the class, I've watched anime and manga before but then at the time, I wasn't so interested in the language or anything. Admitting the truth, my sensei put on a lot of anime shows/movies that started my hype for anime and manga. A point where I start reading raws and wanting to learn more about the language for the sake of anime. When starting the class, I had no trouble with hiragana and katakana. I found it very easily while my other classmates had trouble. I especially love learning about Kanji. But right now, I'm learning the japanese language not just for the sake of anime/manga, but also because I want to go to Japan and learn more about the culture over there.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 58 minutes ago

5 by Semester1 »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you think anime has ever negatively impacted someone's life?

removed-user - May 10

29 by Bruh69XD »»
11 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - May 9

71 by Bruh69XD »»
14 minutes ago

» What's the biggest outlier in your favorite series or character list?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

19 by Shiningpom »»
32 minutes ago

» Since anime fans today are weaklings and easily triggered, if Berserk were to be adapted properly today, do you think it would receive many complains? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - May 17

55 by Bruh69XD »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.