Forum Settings
Forums

Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 18, 2014 11:00 AM

Apr 2011
Fui said:
Valaskjalf said:
The funny part is that people actually believe that
Are you an expert on earth's resources and sustainability over time with regard to current and future demographic growth and activity?

are you ?
Mar 18, 2014 11:06 AM
Jan 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
cabacc2 said:
RedArmyShogun said:
sauteed_roaches said:
this research might make you realize that the end of anno domini/common era is just around the corner...and universal century is incoming, do "UC" what i see?

HIEL ZEON!

Also @ Cabacc Its better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

Or as I would point out the Story on the Grasshopper and the Ant. Far too many grasshoppers are alive now.

owning a gun also means a risk. It can be used against you, you hold responsibility if someone steals it etc.

I am better off not owning a gun.

If you arn't prepaired to take responsibility then that is so. I'm a very dutiful person so it doesn't bother me. Its also why I don't like demoracy however.

Most people will always take the easy way out, its how they get burned so horriblly in the fires.

I never said that I wouldnt take responsibility, I just dont see the point in taking the risk of even putting me in a position where I may have to take responsibility, when this could be prevented easily.
Its just another disadvantage.
Mar 18, 2014 11:56 AM

Aug 2008
In the event of a global societal collapse -- sadly -- space exploration will be deemed as a low priority activity, afterwards - presuming humans survive.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Mar 18, 2014 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
KyuuAL said:
In the event of a global societal collapse -- sadly -- space exploration will be deemed as a low priority activity, afterwards - presuming humans survive.

Which is the point I'm trying to make.

If we wait on it till its needed, well gee kids its too late.

Hell it might already be.
Mar 18, 2014 9:29 PM

Mar 2008
Valaskjalf said:
Fui said:
Valaskjalf said:
Are you an expert on earth's resources and sustainability over time with regard to current and future demographic growth and activity?

are you ?

No, but I'm not saying believing the study is "funny." I'm just wondering where your confidence that the study is bull is coming from. The natural assumption would be you're well versed on the topic and have several reasons for believing otherwise. Hence, my question to you.
Mar 18, 2014 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Time to move into space. :3

SIEG ZEON!
Mar 18, 2014 9:35 PM

Mar 2014
Alternative energies

Alternative energies, everywhere

It'll piss of the Sheikhs but wfc
Mar 18, 2014 9:45 PM

Jan 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
I'll give you biomass, however thats why I pointed out hydrophonics and the like. Also new energy and fuel sorces will be a must and it will require scarifices with a standard of living for all mankind more like in the 2nd world or lower class first world. It will be a long push, but one ultimately in the end worth it.

I agree, in the future overpopulation will become a tremendous problem, and either population will have to be curbed or resource austerity measures will have to be enforced. Or humanity will simply wage wars on an ever increasing basis over resources.

In order to truly keep expanding, humanity must find habitable worlds with more biomass that we are biologically compatible with. A world with silicon-based life might not offer anything edible or useable to humanity, for example. Actually we're pretty much stuck if there aren't at least proteins and amino acids on another world. That would be the bare minimum definition of useability. Either that or we need to attain the means to transform non-organic matter into proteins/amino acids.
Mar 18, 2014 9:46 PM

Sep 2012
cabacc2 said:
To predict something about the far future is ridicolous. Nothing knows what will happen in the 21th century, maybe something huge will change everything.

Yep i agree with this, just looking at all the technologies we discovered in a really short period everything could be possible.
Mar 18, 2014 11:28 PM

Jan 2013
PaulyD said:
cabacc2 said:
To predict something about the far future is ridicolous. Nothing knows what will happen in the 21th century, maybe something huge will change everything.

Yep i agree with this, just looking at all the technologies we discovered in a really short period everything could be possible.

Smartphones are no alternative to Food and Water.
Mar 18, 2014 11:32 PM

Sep 2013
PaulyD said:
cabacc2 said:

I think it's really ridiculous to blindly rely in the chance that we invent a machine with perpetual motion.

Valaskjalf said:

The funny part is that you don't.
Mar 19, 2014 2:14 PM

Apr 2011
Fui said:
Valaskjalf said:
Fui said:
Valaskjalf said:

are you ?

No, but I'm not saying believing the study is "funny." I'm just wondering where your confidence that the study is bull is coming from. The natural assumption would be you're well versed on the topic and have several reasons for believing otherwise. Hence, my question to you.

So you are going to blindly believe everything they say ? Being an expert or not doesn't change the fact that people can still make up stuff.
Mar 19, 2014 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
Valaskjalf said:
Fui said:
Valaskjalf said:
Fui said:
Valaskjalf said:

are you ?

So you are going to blindly believe everything they say ? Being an expert or not doesn't change the fact that people can still make up stuff.

And if it happens?

Research should be done as its SMART to do.

The Early bird catches the Worm. The later bird catches the spotters first round.
Mar 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Aug 2008
In relation to this artcle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

That concept had been somewhat of an interest, ever since I came across it. In order to jump from a Type 0 to a Type 1, humans will have to face a major crisis that forces its politics to prioritize the global allocation of resources for mankind. To show how primitive we really are, we deem the Crimean situation as a crisis. On the grander scale, that is nothing more than "table scraps".

Already, we can imagine some of the more grander projects (engineering), in the form of sci-fi. But alas, all that stuff is stuck there - in the imagination and fiction.

Of all the projects that need to be done - it's something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Cheap space access. That is what is needed.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Mar 19, 2014 2:27 PM

Jan 2013
The geological archives pretty much are screaming

IF YOU STAY HERE YOU ARE FUCKED.

Untill a tidal wave wiped out the Eastern US Seaboard, or a major eruption happens no one will bother, things that happen on this planet, and have shown that mans powers are frankly, a infant slaping a giant.

And a number of those things are hitting down on zero to happen again, some in fact are late.
RedArmyShogunMar 19, 2014 2:32 PM
Mar 19, 2014 2:27 PM

Jan 2014
KyuuAL said:
Yea. I'd believe it.

Civilization has reached a point, where it can totally wreck the planet, to the point of unsustainability. Sadly, the most powerful among us are showing themselves to be completely unable to handle the responsibility for the sake of humanity. Under these people, we're doomed.

Using his Handy model to assess a scenario closely resembling the current state of the world, Motesharri found that civilisation “appears to be on a sustainable path for quite a long time, but even using an optimal depletion rate and starting with a very small number of Elites, the Elites eventually consume too much, resulting in a famine among the Masses that eventually causes the collapse of society”.

So, can we tax the rich heavily now?
no not tax them they are too rich we just need to overthrow them basically a new war.
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Mar 19, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2008
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_extension

Simpler solution. Brain data uploaded into computerized systems.

Or this:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/futurama-203-nixon.jpg

Mar 19, 2014 3:00 PM

Jan 2013
Untill a solar flare hits the planet and fries all electronic devices.
Mar 20, 2014 8:34 AM

Jan 2011
This is what happens when people who should be building rockets and sending people to space have nothing to do. They become boring.
Mar 20, 2014 8:43 AM

Jan 2013
Or go crazy and spend time on forums. << >>
Mar 20, 2014 9:48 AM

Feb 2013
RedArmyShogun said:
Start building my fucking colony already.
Mar 20, 2014 10:26 AM

Jan 2013
Ntad said:
RedArmyShogun said:
Give me the resources and it will be done. As I would also like off of this planet.
Mar 20, 2014 10:29 AM

Feb 2013
RedArmyShogun said:
Ntad said:
RedArmyShogun said:
Give me the resources and it will be done. As I would also like off of this planet.
WTF, you think resources grow on trees? What do you think this is Command & Conquer? You think I'll just harvest up some tiberium or mine up some ore and you can just start building shit at the click of a button?

THE WORLD DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY

Dammit, we're fucked...
Mar 20, 2014 10:31 AM

Jan 2013
Well then, give me some homeless people or the down trodden masses to start a revolt to conqure the world so then I can have the resrouces or help me mke a virus that steals one USD from every major bank account in the world on a weekly bases, we will have more money than we will need in months.
Mar 20, 2014 1:33 PM

Aug 2013
Old news is old, entire civilizations have risen and collapsed only to be replaced since the dawn of man. Modern society is no different to any of the other societies that lasted for hundreds of years before collapsing in on itself.

One day the new society will look back on the old the way we look back on the Mayans or roman empire.
Mar 21, 2014 7:58 PM

Sep 2013
Kibura_Iburasa said:
Old news is old, entire civilizations have risen and collapsed only to be replaced since the dawn of man. Modern society is no different to any of the other societies that lasted for hundreds of years before collapsing in on itself.

One day the new society will look back on the old the way we look back on the Mayans or roman empire.

We can't let that happen, we must use the Samson Option on an international scale before the next century.
Mar 22, 2014 8:17 AM

Nov 2013
Well, I better start brushing up on my martial arts skills which have been passed down through my school of the Fist of the North Star.
Mar 22, 2014 8:33 AM

Jan 2013
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
Well, I better start brushing up on my martial arts skills which have been passed down through my school of the Fist of the North Star.
Be asured Otaku-Shrio. I will not fire men out of a giant cannon to attack you, only shells.
RedArmyShogunMar 22, 2014 11:51 AM
Mar 22, 2014 11:43 AM
Jul 2013
Anybody with a brain would have seen this coming. I guess people are just feigning.

People might open their eyes at the moment before their destruction and hopefully work to pull over this crap... That's what I'd like to say but sadly, shit ain't gonna go like that. Chances of it happening is 1% or less. In the end, I can't do nothing that might affect the resource depletion positively at a macro-scale. I'm just doing my part by walking to school and being somewhat Eco-friendly.

While at that, since schools don't usually go in depth and explain these matters to us, I might as well use this opportunity to gain some enlightenment on this matter:

- Can nuclear power replace fossil fuel? I'd figure that since nuclear reaps a bunch of energy, that could replace fossil fuel. But since the Japan incident, I'm sure people are skeptical about it.

- Are popular alternative energy sources like solar Power, wind power efficient enough to replace fossil fuel? Is biofuel a plausible option?

I'm here hoping that TerraPower and Bill Gates bring out their traveling wave reactor soon.
Mar 22, 2014 12:10 PM

Oct 2011
Well,it's obvious some serious crap is going to happen down the road.I do believe our race is driving us off a cliff while shooting a nuke up our ass.With the constant population growth,resources are going to become more scarce which would probably result in some serious economic depression & countries fighting over said resource.This will end up Apocalypse-ing our race eventually.

The way I see it,we got a few options to postpone this:
1 - Space Colonization.Whether it's colonizing other worlds or going the Gundam route & create space stations for a portion of our population,we need to make some freaking room on this rock.
2 - Erase some mouths to feed.This option is the drastic option & one the I hope would never be used.This is basically where you sacrifice the lives of a few for the lives of the many.
3 - Start controlling our race like livestock.Minimize the birth rate & ration all necessary supplies & who get what.Eliminate people who are too old to offer any service to society.

Yeah,this was all I could think of & I'm aware that they come with their own problems (especially the last 2 that come with huge moral sacrifices).And the only one of these ideas I support is space colonization.I always had a thing for space & this won't kill the morals of our race.
Agree with it?Don't agree with it?That is up to you.I'm just some guy on the internet offering opinion on a subject.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Mar 22, 2014 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
Two And three really arn't options for a whole laundry list of reasons.

In fact minus those it also doesn't solve one huge problem.

A huge mountain can decide to blow up, a island out in the Atlantic may seen fall apart or a huge rock we have no way to stop can come on down and screw us all collectively.

The earth is one huge Target that has been smacked like a bitch, and anyone with even half a brain can open a text book and see the cosmic dart board doesn't miss often.

As to the rest of what you said. Correct. Space colonization is the future, one that should be NOW. But governments fear control, and far too many grass hoppers control things forcing us that would love the chance to leave to stay.

We can reduce consumption right now, but it won't matter one Damn bit if Yellowstone blows.
Mar 23, 2014 6:05 AM

Feb 2013
Xinception said:
Anybody with a brain would have seen this coming. I guess people are just feigning.

People might open their eyes at the moment before their destruction and hopefully work to pull over this crap... That's what I'd like to say but sadly, shit ain't gonna go like that. Chances of it happening is 1% or less. In the end, I can't do nothing that might affect the resource depletion positively at a macro-scale. I'm just doing my part by walking to school and being somewhat Eco-friendly.

While at that, since schools don't usually go in depth and explain these matters to us, I might as well use this opportunity to gain some enlightenment on this matter:

- Can nuclear power replace fossil fuel? I'd figure that since nuclear reaps a bunch of energy, that could replace fossil fuel. But since the Japan incident, I'm sure people are skeptical about it.

- Are popular alternative energy sources like solar Power, wind power efficient enough to replace fossil fuel? Is biofuel a plausible option?

I'm here hoping that TerraPower and Bill Gates bring out their traveling wave reactor soon.

The constitution of the devices/equipments that generate alternative forms of energy are made with oil. My computer also requires oil to be made. When oil is depleted, what will computers, cars and machines that generate alternative energy be made of??
Mar 23, 2014 7:58 AM
Jul 2013
john_doe_ said:
Xinception said:

The constitution of the devices/equipments that generate alternative forms of energy are made with oil. My computer also requires oil to be made. When oil is depleted, what will computers, cars and machines that generate alternative energy be made of??

I'm sorry if I sounded obnoxious like those know-it-all types because I wrote that post with the intention of getting some answers for my inquiries.

But is it true that oil is the fundamental of constructions? Since alternative energy machines get their energy from said alternative sources, if I am correct. But if it is just as you said, the consumption of oil would be lessen I guess?
Mar 23, 2014 8:11 AM

Jan 2013
I think in part he's reflecting on those in the public that go "lol do it when we have to"

Often times when I hear people say that I go "And do it with what?"

If we use up all the oil before that point, it will be mighty damn hard to make plastics.

As to your last question, oh gods yes, oil is used in constrction, plastics, metal making, paint making, why lots and lots of things. Thankfully most of it is hard crude that can't be used in much else.

As a edit the Russians and chinese don't buy into the whole non-renewable fuel thing, and believe its renewable, some testing they have done in dried oil fields seems to hint that the earth might somehow produce oil from activity in the core. However the studies they did also proved that while that might be the case the rate of regeneration is also not enough to keep with demand by far.
RedArmyShogunMar 23, 2014 8:27 AM
Mar 23, 2014 8:31 AM
Jul 2013
RedArmyShogun said:
I think in part he's reflecting on those in the public that go "lol do it when we have to"

Often times when I hear people say that I go "And do it with what?"

If we use up all the oil before that point, it will be mighty damn hard to make plastics.

As to your last question, oh gods yes, oil is used in constrction, plastics, metal making, paint making, why lots and lots of things. Thankfully most of it is hard crude that can't be used in much else.

As a edit the Russians and chinese don't buy into the whole non-renewable fuel thing, and believe its renewable, some testing they have done in dried oil fields seems to hint that the earth might somehow produce oil from activity in the core. However the studies they did also proved that while that might be the case the rate of regeneration is also not enough to keep with demand by far.

Thanks for answering my questions! I appreciate it.

So basically we're fucked? Or our grand kids are fucked? Any possible and plausible solutions to this dilemma, you'd reckon? Is the traveling wave reactor that Gates and TerraPower's been building a plausible solution to energy crisis?
Mar 23, 2014 8:34 AM

Feb 2013
We were always fucked...it's just that the process has been sped up a little bit in the last hundred years.

Some won't live to see the fuckery in it's final form though.
Mar 23, 2014 8:54 AM

Jan 2013
Kinda what Ntad said.

As to that, yes we are fucked.

Gates idea is frankly...worthless.

Like all forms of "green energy" It works only in a few area's with exact conditions.

The biggest thing we have power wise that could save us is Fussion Reactors. The ironic thing is the best fuel for it is in space. The moon, mars, a few other area's, in fact the Gas Giants have the chemical compounds to give limitless energy and fuel.

But thanks to Democracy in action we will never see it.

As the Tale of the Grasshooper and the ant goes.

Why work when you can leach.

Funny the Grasshopper never wins. Problem is with how things are now, the Ant gets dragged to hell as well.

In fact I won't be surprised if before the next 20 years bad stuff starts to happen.
Mar 23, 2014 9:06 AM

Mar 2014
The world will undoubtedly get worse, and it will become the norm and our kids just won't understand what they are missing because they never got to experience it, but we'll keep on. I doubt there'll be any "collapse". Reform, perhaps. But not anarchy.
Mar 23, 2014 10:35 AM
Jul 2013
LadyRenly said:
The world will undoubtedly get worse, and it will become the norm and our kids just won't understand what they are missing because they never got to experience it, but we'll keep on. I doubt there'll be any "collapse". Reform, perhaps. But not anarchy.

I hope that's what happens though. I still want to live.

RedArmyShogun said:
Kinda what Ntad said.

As to that, yes we are fucked.

Gates idea is frankly...worthless.

Like all forms of "green energy" It works only in a few area's with exact conditions.

The biggest thing we have power wise that could save us is Fussion Reactors. The ironic thing is the best fuel for it is in space. The moon, mars, a few other area's, in fact the Gas Giants have the chemical compounds to give limitless energy and fuel.

But thanks to Democracy in action we will never see it.

As the Tale of the Grasshooper and the ant goes.

Why work when you can leach.

Funny the Grasshopper never wins. Problem is with how things are now, the Ant gets dragged to hell as well.

In fact I won't be surprised if before the next 20 years bad stuff starts to happen.

So, you're saying that space is the next step? I re read some of your posts in this thread and found them interesting. The Planet cracker from Dead Space, space colonies and gundam robots are gonna become real in the future, I guess.

Too bad NASA can't go to space now. They could do what had happened in Space Bros by now I'd reckon. Maybe that's why they're releasing reports like these. Gain traction and fundings.
Mar 23, 2014 11:10 AM

Jan 2011
@LadyRenly
I want to see more hatsune miku in Nazi uniforms.
Mar 23, 2014 11:36 AM

Jan 2013
Space isn't the next step. Its the only step.

The Earth is a target and a bomb, the rifls being lined up and the timer is reaching zero.

And it is something that must be done in the next 20 years. Not the next 100 or thousand.

Also space funding globally is a joke, the governments and the banksters know if we can spread it will be the new world all over again. Can't have people having real freedom after all.
Mar 23, 2014 1:37 PM

Jan 2013
Reading a PDF of the study, they really do mean Decades. As in 2050.
Mar 25, 2014 9:42 PM

Jan 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
I'll likely be dead by then, but I guess I should train my kids to survive the end of the world. "Apocalypse Survival Hell Training!" ... ASH Training ... I like it.
Mar 25, 2014 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
Hoppy said:
We won't live to see it, it'll be somewhere in the late 2090's to early 2100's.

Some of us, if we're lucky, might live to see it.
If you'd consider that lucky.
Litrydow said:
Time to push the RESET button.

I CAN'T FIND THE RESET BUTTON
Mar 25, 2014 11:30 PM
Nov 2008
Jackrabb1t said:
RedArmyShogun said:
I'll likely be dead by then, but I guess I should train my kids to survive the end of the world. "Apocalypse Survival Hell Training!" ... ASH Training ... I like it.
you'll be dead by 2050? that's only 36 years away.
Mar 27, 2014 2:29 PM

May 2013
Gotta prep my pipboy
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.