Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 22, 2014 12:28 AM

Jan 2014
Sung-Hwan said:
skyzblue said:
kuuurt said:
Naruto, of course.

I see what you did there *_*

There are thousands of people who will think Naruto is better than S;G

And we call that Tsukiyomi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2014 12:30 AM

Nov 2013
There's nothing better, yet.
Feb 22, 2014 12:34 AM

Jan 2013
No.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Feb 22, 2014 12:57 AM
Feb 2014
Steins Gate? i never seen this anime.
Feb 22, 2014 1:08 AM

Mar 2012
There are anime better than Steins;Gate, but eventually it's your opinion if you really think so. For example; I think Death Note was better than Steins;Gate. You might disagree.

Though; Hitman Reborn is my all time favorite together with Hajime no Ippo.
Kuroookoooooo-chin!
Feb 22, 2014 1:28 AM

Apr 2013
I've only given a 10 to two anime and Steins Gate is one of them. I'd still say no, though.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Feb 22, 2014 5:01 AM

Feb 2013
You can't really compare Steins;Gate with anime of different genres. Comparisons to Naruto or other similar shounen are all BS. It's like adding apples to pears.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Feb 22, 2014 5:04 AM

Sep 2013
I haven't seen Steins;Gate but I'm going to say plenty.
Like Now and Then Here and There or Ashita no Joe.
Feb 22, 2014 5:21 AM

Apr 2013
sherlock5545 said:
You can't really compare Steins;Gate with anime of different genres. Comparisons to Naruto or other similar shounen are all BS. It's like adding apples to pears.
Isn't the saying "It's apples and oranges"
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 22, 2014 5:51 AM
Jun 2012
i can understand why you think steins;gate is one the best anime. i think steins;gate is pretty good . its maybe one of the best. :P

there are some other anime out there that is quite good too. :)
Feb 22, 2014 5:53 AM

Jan 2012
meh steins gate isn't all that great
but lemme compare it with something similar that's better
so to answer your title yes
Zetsuen no Tempest
Feb 22, 2014 5:59 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
why is this thread still open? listing 101

well anyways, I think Steins is the *best*, wouldn't say it has the highest entertainment value of all series but as far as story and characters go I would say it is
Feb 22, 2014 5:59 AM

Nov 2013
kuuurt said:

But you're wrong. Naruto is better than all of the animes. Anything. Fuck genres man, Naruto >>> all animes >>> Steins;Gate. I know better than any of you because I've watched like 1000+ animes. Actually, I consider myself to be the Historian of this Miduim.

Get some tastes, and go watch more animes.

Pleb.

Cracked me up. ^

But I'll give a serious response since op seems genuinely serious too. It stands amongst the top within its genre, but best? No idea. How do you define best? It changes between genre, between people, the plain old passage of time changes it. People who are extremely loyal to Steins;Gate would say nothing can top it, but people who merely appreciate it, like myself, or others who haven't even seen it certainly wouldn't agree that it's the best.

You could browse the top anime rankings of this very website and find a lot of anime which stand at the top of their various genres. There's no 'best' though, just maybe a few anime which have fanbases so large that they drown everyone else out.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 22, 2014 6:02 AM

Jan 2012
HaXXspetten said:
why is this thread still open? listing 101

well anyways, I think Steins is the *best*, wouldn't say it has the highest entertainment value of all series but as far as story and characters go I would say it is

yeah right the best
cuz a boring first half followed by a harem second half is definitely masterpiece material
Feb 22, 2014 6:02 AM

Nov 2013
Steins Gate is awesome but other series better than it would be Death note, Code Geass, Hyouka , Naruto, Bleach and Sword Art....yes Sword Art
Decim
'Life really is a mysterious thing. Each and every life spins its own, totally separate tale, yet they become intricately entwined in each other. And no one knows how they will end up'

Kazuki Kazami
'If someone lives, they will surely die. That is the absolute rule of this world'
Feb 22, 2014 6:10 AM

Jun 2013
We need more mods so many pointless threads opened recently and not getting closed.

Some people think anime X is the best and some people think anime X is shit and anime Y is the best and so on so asking this type of question is pointless.
Feb 22, 2014 6:11 AM

Jan 2013
Let's look at the critically acclaimed anime series in 2011:
Anohana, Usagi drop, Madoka Magica, Steins Gate, Mawaru penguindrum..
If I would rank them in order of merit:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

Steins gate wasn't even the best of 2011, let alone of all time..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 22, 2014 6:27 AM

Jan 2014
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

Steins gate pulled off a much better time travel story than Madoka. In fact, Steins;gate is everything Madoka hoped to be.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 22, 2014 6:28 AM

Oct 2011
lol
Feb 22, 2014 6:30 AM

Jan 2013
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

Steins gate pulled off a much better time travel story than Madoka. In fact, Steins;gate is everything Madoka hoped to be.

If you think Madoka was just a time travel story, then you're the greatest troll I've ever seen.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 22, 2014 6:33 AM

Jan 2014
skyzblue said:
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

If you think Madoka was just a time travel story, then you're the greatest troll I've ever seen.

Of course it was also a "deconstruction of the magical girl genre", but that don't add much to it. Deconstruction or not, the emotional appeal fell flat because the solution to some problems were so blatantly obvious.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 22, 2014 6:34 AM

Jan 2012
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

true...yet zetsuen no tempest puts both to shame
Feb 22, 2014 6:36 AM
Nov 2013
Steins Gate is Butterfly Effect (the first movie with Ashton Kutcher) animated. And there's plenty of better stuff.
Feb 22, 2014 6:36 AM

Jan 2013
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

Of course it was also a "deconstruction of the magical girl genre", but that don't add much to it. Deconstruction or not, the emotional appeal fell flat because the solution to some problems were so blatantly obvious.

And what your thoughts on Mawaru and Usagi?
And btw, if we want to talk about the best story on time travel/time loop,
Utsuro no hako beats everyone's ass (wait till its animated)
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 22, 2014 6:38 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
skyzblue said:
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

How about Ever17 if we're talking about ridiculous timelines :3
Feb 22, 2014 6:41 AM

Aug 2012
Nope, Steins;Gate is the best anime ever. You have good taste, sir.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.

May 2012
Go check the top anime list of myanimelist ... now if you observe VERY CARYFULLY on the very first page , right above steins;gate there is an anime in the no 1 slot ... and it is called FMAB .... WATCH IT !

Jul 2011
Yes, of course.
It isn't even the #1 in MAL
Feb 22, 2014 6:43 AM

Jan 2014
skyzblue said:
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

Haven't watched either. I probably won't watch Usagi Drop because I tend to find Slice of life boring. Mawaru looks interesting, I may add it to my PTW list.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 22, 2014 6:44 AM

Jan 2013
HaXXspetten said:
skyzblue said:
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

How about Ever17 if we're talking about ridiculous timelines :3

I've played it. Its one of the best, no doubt.
But wait, what do you think about S;G being the best ever? Let's not deviate from it :3
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 22, 2014 6:45 AM

Jan 2012
pralan said:
Yes, of course.

what's that got to do with anything?
fma brotherhood is as generic as shounen can be yet it's nr 1
Feb 22, 2014 6:45 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I think the easiest way to summarize this is that ratings exist for a reason, and it's based on a democratic voting process, and S;G is currently at #2 on the site (also has no prequels and is only a 2-cour series, so it's less defaultly overrated than most of the others in the top) so yes of course it is one of the best anime ever, you can't really deny that much if that is what the general opinion claims. Now whether or not that general opinion happens to be the same as your own in this particular case is naturally individual, but that doesn't change the fact that most people considers it one of the best anime out there.

And that's basically all there is to it really.
Feb 22, 2014 6:47 AM

Jul 2011
renders said:
pralan said:
Yes, of course.

what's that got to do with anything?
fma brotherhood is as generic as shounen can be yet it's nr 1

That Steins;Gate isn't even the "best" anime according to the users of this site, i don't even named the anime above steins:Gate.
Feb 22, 2014 6:54 AM

Jan 2013
pralan said:
Yes, of course.

Though I agree with S;G not being the best, that's a really pointless argument. I mean, its MAL, where Clannad is ranked above Honey and Clover.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 22, 2014 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
Slow down, pal. Next time, you're gonna ask whether there's something better than a strawberry slurpee on a sunny day and we're gonna have a problem.
Feb 22, 2014 6:57 AM

Mar 2012
RedRoseFring said:
If you think Madoka is a 'time travel story' then I can already tell you missed the point of the show pretty badly.

Madoka never hoped to be Steins;Gate. Madoka is nothing like Steins;Gate. Their intentions are different, the genres they fall into are different, the target audiences are different, the themes they explore are different, their characters are different, in fact the only thing they have in common is that they have time travel.

So in that case I should just go around spouting that Steins;Gate is a shitty Back to the Future clone with shitty pacing, pointless harem antics and a cast mostly made up of walking cliches.

Even if we go by the impact that both shows have had on anime in general Steins;Gate, despite its immense popularity, is still well and truly in Madoka's shadow.
Feb 22, 2014 6:59 AM

Aug 2012
No
Feb 22, 2014 7:01 AM

Dec 2013
What a ridiculous thread.
Feb 22, 2014 7:05 AM
Nov 2013
I think if you watch more you'll probably find something better, or no, who knows...
Feb 22, 2014 7:16 AM

Jan 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
RedRoseFring said:
If you think Madoka is a 'time travel story' then I can already tell you missed the point of the show pretty badly.

Madoka never hoped to be Steins;Gate. Madoka is nothing like Steins;Gate. Their intentions are different, the genres they fall into are different, the target audiences are different, the themes they explore are different, their characters are different, in fact the only thing they have in common is that they have time travel.

So in that case I should just go around spouting that Steins;Gate is a shitty Back to the Future clone with shitty pacing, pointless harem antics and a cast mostly made up of walking cliches.

Even if we go by the impact that both shows have had on anime in general Steins;Gate, despite its immense popularity, is still well and truly in Madoka's shadow.

I already said Madoka is a "deconstruction of the magical girl genre" (whatever that's supposed to mean), so of course it's more than just a time travel story. Of course, with dark and edgy being the current trend, its popularity is no surprise.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 22, 2014 7:17 AM

May 2012
I am a Steins; Gate fan and I LOVE IT VERY MUCH. But I believe there is an anime better than Steins;Gate
Feb 22, 2014 7:47 AM

Mar 2012
RedRoseFring said:

I already said Madoka is a "deconstruction of the magical girl genre" (whatever that's supposed to mean), so of course it's more than just a time travel story.
Well maybe you should stop throwing around terms that you don't know the meaning of. You've basically come out and admitted that the show was literally too deep for you. More to the point that's not even what Madoka is. The show never once tried to tear apart and analyse the different tropes in magical girl anime. In fact, it's so far removed from those tropes that it shouldn't even belong in the same genre.

Of course, with dark and edgy being the current trend, its popularity is no surprise.
I don't like Madoka because it's dark. I like it because it's good. All of my friends who I showed Madoka to didn't like it because it made them want to slit their wrists or else they would have loved Mirai Nikki too. Speaking of which, Mirai Nikki is way more dark and edgy than Madoka so that means it's way more popular right? Right?.
Feb 22, 2014 8:14 AM

Dec 2012
I have a very poor opinion of Steins;Gate personally. I think there are many better shows out there, such as Madoka which is a show that SG gets compared to a lot but can't match up to in quality.

RedRoseFring said:
skyzblue said:
Mawaru penguindrum
Madoka magica
Usagi drop
Steins gate
Anohana..

No, I don't think so. From how time travel is used to enhance the narrative Madoka's time travel is far better than Steins;Gate. For example,

And "Steins;gate is everything Madoka hoped to be"? I think that's a statement that deserves to be elaborated on.
daedroth4Feb 22, 2014 8:58 AM
Feb 22, 2014 8:24 AM

Oct 2013
It was a good show all around. One who's name I'll remember, which is surprising as I only remember a series name that caught my eye. There are better ones out there though. This like most things is based on your taste of a series.

To those of you who say you can't compare shows of different genres... how about comparing them to shows similar to them then compare them to each other as to how well they executed them? You can still compare them based off of what you thought was a good plot, characters ect. Most character types will be presented in most series that come out nowadays anyway.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Feb 22, 2014 8:29 AM
Mar 2013
yes there are better anime and imo steins gate shouldn't be in the top 10
Feb 22, 2014 8:30 AM

Aug 2013
Some people need to take a break from kissing Steins Gate's butt and check out Noein http://myanimelist.net/anime/584/Noein:_Mou_Hitori_no_Kimi_e
Feb 22, 2014 8:31 AM

Apr 2009
Steins;Gate is not all that great in the first place.
Feb 22, 2014 8:36 AM

Oct 2012
Many.
Feb 22, 2014 8:36 AM

Apr 2013
Everything rated 8-10 on my list is better IMO
Feb 22, 2014 8:47 AM

Dec 2012
daedroth4 said:

No, I don't think so. From how time travel is used to enhance the narrative Madoka's time trave [.....]

Are you seriously gonna claim that Mayuri is a plot device, when the MC of Madoka is the biggest plot device of all time? . Also nice spoilers.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people hate MAPPA?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

43 by Alpha-Nine »»
2 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1016 by KuroNeko5097 »»
3 minutes ago

» Name 1 or 2 characters you've seen that have the best thighs/ass

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

11 by Rhae »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - May 3

30 by Fischer77 »»
15 minutes ago

» How many completed is considered a lot to you ( 1 2 3 )

Ice-Cube - Jul 9, 2022

118 by Fischer77 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.