Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kagerou Daze (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Apr 15, 2014 5:43 PM

Dec 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Nisekoi actually does look to retain more of the look of it's source than pretty much anything Shaft has adapted since before Monogatari. If I had to guess what happened here it's that Shueisha which publishes Shonen Jump was on the production committee and holds enough sway and influence that they probably wouldn't allow too much to be changed to fit Shafts tendency towards running everything through their filter and things had to be cleared with them before they could go to air.

Anyway yeah the bottom line is that Shaft simply is far from perfect. It'd be nice if more people would start to realize that. :/

i don't know how you can call szs mild...

i doubt they would have picked shaft to adapt nisekoi if they didn't specifically want a shaft production. i'm sure they knew full well what they'd be getting into. nisekoi's generic rom-com harem premise wouldn't have stood out at all if they'd given it to someone like jc staff who you'd expect to pick it up. shaft's hyper-self-awareness, bonkers visual gags, and eye candy were exactly what nisekoi needed.

shaft aren't perfect. no studio is. they've had as many flops as they have hits. but they are exceptionally good in a few areas that most studios aren't.
Apr 15, 2014 6:02 PM

Jul 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
ihusmal1234 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
ihusmal1234 said:
I love SHAFT and all... but the second half being in constant colors of red, white, and grey along with the usual SHAFT directing was straining both my eyes and brain. That with reading subs made it a bit hard to follow what was exactly going on :/

But from what I can see the main guy is a NEET (been getting a lot of anti-social mains lately) and a sci-fi plot that has something to do with artificial beings inside phones/computers/ just anything technical. Doesn't seem too great. I'll give it the 3 episode trial to see if I'll drop it. The commentaries/monologues from Ene was pretty fun though.

I have this problem with virtually every Shaft show. Trying to follow things while the camera angles and weird imagery are being all but literally thrust right up in your grill pretty much constantly is very tiring and annoying and there's only so long I can tolerate this sort of thing before it just gets really old and I start to notice all the other blatant flaws, cost cutting and writing issues present in pretty much all their hit shows save Madoka TV (not the movie), which I'd argue actually had writing strong enough to offset some of the more annoying tendencies of it's director.

Some are more mild like SZS and Maria Holic, but that was pre-bake. A recent mild one would probably be Nisekoi. But that second half man. That was hardcore for even SHAFT standards. Never have I seen them just shifting the color entirely for a whole bloody scene. I'm praying they won't go that intense ever again. And yeah, SHAFT is definitely not perfect. They're probably most infamous for not knowing how to spread budget and time evenly :/ But the DVD/Blue-Rays are always satisfying though (Compared to the on air version at least)

Nisekoi actually does look to retain more of the look of it's source than pretty much anything Shaft has adapted since before Monogatari. If I had to guess what happened here it's that Shueisha which publishes Shonen Jump was on the production committee and holds enough sway and influence that they probably wouldn't allow too much to be changed to fit Shafts tendency towards running everything through their filter and things had to be cleared with them before they could go to air.

Anyway yeah the bottom line is that Shaft simply is far from perfect. It'd be nice if more people would start to realize that. :/

I also heard Shinbo's protégé Tatsuwa Naoyuki is directing Nisekoi with him. He directed certain episodes of SHAFT's shows at one point, but this is his first time directing a show overall. Not sure if he has to do with anything about Nisekoi being tamer, but your point makes sense as well. But I digress... I just hope Mekaku won't abuse that color shift too much.
Apr 15, 2014 8:25 PM
Apr 2014
RSGodCraftRiot said:
Please tell me I'm not the only one who caught this:

http://puu.sh/89wFc.jpg

http://puu.sh/89wFH.jpg

What do you mean by it?
Apr 15, 2014 8:30 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
FuckSchoolDays said:
RSGodCraftRiot said:

What do you mean by it?

spoiler... this will spoil if you do not know kagepro
Apr 15, 2014 9:10 PM
Jul 2018

The animation is a bit odd for me. I don't know, it feels so different compared with Bakemonogatari and Mahou Shoujo.

I love the OP anyway. Ene is so cute, but my favorite character is still Kano. HAHA
Apr 15, 2014 9:14 PM

Jun 2012
Tendou-kun said:
Too much shaft, it felt like watching Monogatari -.-

dellzz said:
After reading some of the comments, I'm glad I'm not the only one

Disappointing~

(...)

Mauroki said:
This feels like a low budget Bakemonogatari. But seriously guy looks like Koyomi frome very angle.

glamazon said:
zzzzzzzzzzz

i may keep watching but not really interested

Mr7Beans said:
Wow that was.....boring.

mayukachan said:
Mullegun said:
I also don't understand how people are bashing it soo hard already. Were they expecting something more because they read the manga or light novels?

Haven't read any of the source material, nor have I watched the vids. The most I've seen were the voice actor PVs and key visuals. Was expecting much more since everyone was hyping it to the fabulous max.

NemuriNezumiApr 15, 2014 9:41 PM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Apr 15, 2014 10:54 PM
Jul 2010
Zelot said:
FuckSchoolDays said:
RSGodCraftRiot said:

What do you mean by it?

spoiler... this will spoil if you do not know kagepro

Whoa, I watched it over and over again, and I didn't even realize it. I realize it when you mentioned it. It's amazing that SHAFT can catch up to this little detail...
Apr 16, 2014 8:53 AM

Mar 2013
Im a little disapointed, i think that this first episode is too focused on comedy but the first minute and all of what is after we see Kano is pretty good , the OST is really good the OP is awesome the art and animation is very good but a little too ... SHAFT-y ?(seems too like a Bakemonogatari episode) but i'll continue since i know the story will be great (and want an outer science end , i love this song :3 )

(i read a little of the manga and listened the song)

Apr 16, 2014 3:00 PM

Nov 2009
I am so hype as what is to come further into this series, this is going to be a great ride :3
Apr 16, 2014 3:28 PM

May 2013
Am I the only one wanting to have Ene on his Laptop? xD
Apr 16, 2014 10:44 PM

Nov 2012
I think I should check out what this Kagerou Project is first before continuing watching this anime.
Apr 17, 2014 2:31 AM

Dec 2007
That password is genius. lol
Apr 17, 2014 7:17 AM

Dec 2013
Great first episode, although the animation isn't as good as I had hoped.
But as a dedicated Kagerou Days fan I am pretty excited. I believe they mentioned the anime will go down a different route from the manga and novel, and there are so many foreshadows.
This, is gonna be good.
Hi!
Apr 17, 2014 8:32 AM

Sep 2013
My personal season's favorite ! Very nice for eye animation and good graphic style. For now i'm just waiting until the history will develop.

I can only have hope next episodes will be great as first or even better and a story is gonna be really nice.
Apr 17, 2014 11:37 AM

Sep 2010
shaft pls

that was a nice ride of an episode, already wanting moar
Apr 17, 2014 5:15 PM

Aug 2011
As a long-time KagePro fan, I'm excited for the series but a little disappointed in this first episode.

I feel like SHAFT made Shintaro look too much like Araragi; it's like they altered his design a little and called him Shintaro. The feeling is probably going to wear off after a few episodes and I'll be used to it, but while watching I couldn't help but be irritated by that. And the head tilts were annoying, but again, I'll get used to it.

Kido! <3

I'm surprised Seto was there with them at the mall; he doesn't get introduced in the manga until a later time. If Jin is changing the story up, I'm fine with it as long as I can finally understand the full story.

Yeah the animation was a little choppy, and I think I DO prefer Shidu/Wannyanpu animation, but SHAFT could be saving their budget for the final episodes. So I think I'll stick with it until the end.

Apr 17, 2014 6:48 PM
Nov 2012
Nabris said:
Yeah the animation was a little choppy, and I think I DO prefer Shidu/Wannyanpu animation, but SHAFT could be saving their budget for the final episodes. So I think I'll stick with it until the end.

Oh, didn't notice that it could work that way. And yeah if the animation is kinda low quality for that reason I think I may be able to accept it. Either way I'm gonna stick with this one till the end I wanna see which route will the anime take :3
Apr 18, 2014 3:30 AM

Mar 2013
Disappointed. Seems like I'm one of the few people who utterly dislike the whole monogatari style (random, confusing, weird camera shots for no apparent reason).

The animation was atrocious. Half of it wasn't animated, the colours were bland and monotonous, it basically copied aspects of Monogatari (which again, I PERSONALLY don't like).

Sound wasn't anything special. No OP from 1st episode and ED was meh. Not enough to judge yet.

Story seemed lackluster, rushed, confusing, but I'll give it a chance since I seemed to enjoy Baccano/Ergo Proxy.

Characters were nothing special so far. Stay at home NEET that spends all his time on PC, annoying blue haired girl, girl at the start didn't add anything yet (will have to wait for other episodes), people at the store with hoodies that seem fairly psychotic.

I'll try to give it a chance, if the animation doesn't make me kill myself in the process.

1st episode is a 4/10 from me (and if you check my list I rate VERY generously).
Apr 18, 2014 4:24 AM
Apr 2014
I actually... loved it.

But then again, I already have been a KagePro fan since before but still. There were some parts that could have been better but anyway, it's still the first episode. There's still room for improvements.

Oh, and I'm taking what I can get.
Apr 18, 2014 5:25 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Savvasp said:
Disappointed. Seems like I'm one of the few people who utterly dislike the whole monogatari style (random, confusing, weird camera shots for no apparent reason).

The animation was atrocious. Half of it wasn't animated, the colours were bland and monotonous, it basically copied aspects of Monogatari (which again, I PERSONALLY don't like).

Sound wasn't anything special. No OP from 1st episode and ED was meh. Not enough to judge yet.

Story seemed lackluster, rushed, confusing, but I'll give it a chance since I seemed to enjoy Baccano/Ergo Proxy.

Characters were nothing special so far. Stay at home NEET that spends all his time on PC, annoying blue haired girl, girl at the start didn't add anything yet (will have to wait for other episodes), people at the store with hoodies that seem fairly psychotic.

I'll try to give it a chance, if the animation doesn't make me kill myself in the process.

1st episode is a 4/10 from me (and if you check my list I rate VERY generously).

Just saying..
It's common for first eps to the have the OP be the ED..
So technically.. that was the OP.
Apr 18, 2014 7:56 AM

Jan 2013
Here comes a favourite anime :D I hated Bakemonogatari, didnt even watch it to the end because dislike that kind of anime, but this one...this one is great!
Apr 18, 2014 10:11 AM

Mar 2014
ene is so cute ~
and dat moment when he spilled soda on his pc lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2014 12:21 PM

Oct 2007
Savvasp said:

I truly wonder how many people actually enjoy the Monogatari style enough for it to be used for every single show this studio does versus how many claim to like it just because it's popular at the moment. Personally I think it's pretty crappy too and prefer a cinematic style that's used to accentuate a scenes atmosphere and tone or is used to some purpose or effect rather than just because the director doesn't seem to know how to do anything else or actually show some sign that he/she's aware of how to make things appear interesting on their own. A good director works with his/her team and staff as well as the material to make the best of it and find a way to bring it to life on screen in a way that captures peoples attention and imagination in a variety of ways. A mediocre or bad directors relies on a stable of visual tricks and gimmicks to try to get somebody to pay attention without having to work too hard for it.

Anyway the whole SHAFT style is probably going to keep me from being able to take many SHAFT shows seriously in the future the more they keep abusing it. I just hope they never get to touch anything I actually really truly care about,
PeacingOutApr 18, 2014 12:28 PM
Apr 18, 2014 1:25 PM

Feb 2013
Well....I'm thoroughly confused.

Looks like a good one though, I will probably enjoy it.
Apr 18, 2014 2:33 PM

Jan 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I truly wonder how many people actually enjoy the Monogatari style enough for it to be used for every single show this studio does versus how many claim to like it just because it's popular at the moment. Personally I think it's pretty crappy too and prefer a cinematic style that's used to accentuate a scenes atmosphere and tone or is used to some purpose or effect rather than just because the director doesn't seem to know how to do anything else or actually show some sign that he/she's aware of how to make things appear interesting on their own. A good director works with his/her team and staff as well as the material to make the best of it and find a way to bring it to life on screen in a way that captures peoples attention and imagination in a variety of ways. A mediocre or bad directors relies on a stable of visual tricks and gimmicks to try to get somebody to pay attention without having to work too hard for it.

Anyway the whole SHAFT style is probably going to keep me from being able to take many SHAFT shows seriously in the future the more they keep abusing it. I just hope they never get to touch anything I actually really truly care about,

Pretty much this OTL. It worked for monogatari, but that doesn't mean it will for other shows, and when they do use the style repeatedly, it feels nothing but a copy of monogatari.
Apr 18, 2014 3:36 PM

Mar 2013
Zelot said:
Savvasp said:

Just saying..
It's common for first eps to the have the OP be the ED..
So technically.. that was the OP.

Fair enough. So the OP was meh in this case
Apr 18, 2014 4:53 PM

Jan 2012
Maybe i am a weird one but i am not interested by the plot in this first episode.
This seemed like the beginning of NHK ni Yokoso but it was a more boring beginning because of the annoying blue hair girl and because the plot didn't advance for a large part of the episode.

Maybe i will change my mind later, but for now i'm disappointed.
Maybe this time shaft animation won't be enough for me to enjoy it.
How come this anime have already more favorites than mahouka? this first episode is slower paced that the first episode of mahouka.
I expected more drops too. :/
Apr 18, 2014 9:26 PM

Feb 2013
Feels like a Bakemonogatari clone... then I saw it's Shinbou + Shaft... so that makes sense.

It was pretty good... but dude... who doesn't have extra keyboards?
Apr 18, 2014 9:28 PM

Oct 2007
FanShui said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Pretty much this OTL. It worked for monogatari, but that doesn't mean it will for other shows, and when they do use the style repeatedly, it feels nothing but a copy of monogatari.

The weird thing much as I'm not a huge fan of the whole Shaft style thing, having seen the original PV's for Kagerou Project it seems like it SHOULD be a good match or maybe it will still become one, but there has to be a strong concerted effort to tie their style and motifs to the Kagerou PV's rather than the other way around. In other words demonstrate to the fanbase that they understand what the work they appreciate is about and are working to make the most of it as an anime even if there really are some budget and scheduling issues.

Then again who knows how much it matters since a lot of the times Shaft style seems to be the main draw for people to their shows (I always see people saying that their style automatically makes a show worth watching to them) and one gets the impression that it's everything else that's just window dressing for a lot of people. :s
Apr 18, 2014 9:48 PM
Nov 2012
Episode 2 is tonight, let's hope that the flaws seen in episode 1 will be fixed in the next episode. God bless.
Apr 19, 2014 1:14 AM

Dec 2013
Can't wait for the next episode. I've re-watched this already 3 times >.<
Apr 19, 2014 10:41 PM

Nov 2012
Shaft at their finest.
Apr 20, 2014 2:44 AM

Dec 2009
Hm. I liked the first half, but the whole robbery scene was pretty ridiculous. Completely random robbery conveniently happens and gets the main character involved, just so they can show off their special "skills"? After having a loud conversation with one of the other hostages for two minutes without anybody noticing? It was like something out of a Railgun series.
Apart from that the episode could have used some more animation, and even though I like the SHAFT style, I think they overdid it a little with it.
Well. Let's see if the story goes somewhere interesting.
Apr 21, 2014 5:37 AM

Jun 2012
It's trippy,full random and makes no sense

I like this
Apr 21, 2014 11:14 PM

Mar 2012
Shaft doing Shaft things.
Apr 22, 2014 5:58 AM

Feb 2012
samesdday said:
It's trippy,full random and makes no sense

I like this

This.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Apr 22, 2014 11:47 AM
Feb 2013
BurntJelly said:
It was pretty good... but dude... who doesn't have extra keyboards?

me
Osu!!!
Apr 22, 2014 11:50 PM

May 2012
Don't know wth is going on, but that was pretty interesting and intense.
Apr 23, 2014 2:05 AM

Aug 2012
While i can't say i'm a fan of KagePro, this 1st episode was still entertaining, especially since i enjoy the monogatari/shaft style.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Apr 23, 2014 6:08 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

I must admit that when there is half Shaft, things take a turn which I like very much.
The imprint can be seen in the graph that is in the issues, abstruse and without a logical reason.
If the plot will be a fanservice or almost no Monogatari, could become a precious anime, we'll see.
Narration somewhat incomprehensible at times, I look forward the next episodes to understand something more.
Drawings and animations of discrete level. Color Design and Costume Design, pleasant.
Final vote, for now, of 6/10!
terrablu2003Apr 23, 2014 6:11 AM
Apr 23, 2014 9:12 AM

May 2012
First time out after 2 years of being hikkikomori and our MC is already a part of terrorist atack?
That's some bad luck :D

That city kind of reminds me a city from Mirror's Edge.
Apr 23, 2014 9:16 AM

Aug 2013
Not the pop on the keyboard....
My Candies:
Apr 23, 2014 5:02 PM

Jan 2014
Iolo said:
Not the pop on the keyboard....

seriously 100% noob mistake
[right]
Apr 24, 2014 12:41 AM

Jul 2013
Well being the 1st episode i cant agree/disagree about the use of animation but
Im confused as hell, ill start the manga now tho

Now the truth is i did liked the whole "Monogatari animation" as people said even when i havent seen the series but i think they did this a bit too fast
Someday ill update my MAL from scratch but now... now its not the right time.

Apr 24, 2014 3:35 AM
Aug 2013
I didn't actually have a problem with the animation. I don't know, i didn't really mind the colour choices as, you know, the story DOES get quite dark later on and I believe that will be reflected well through the animation.

I personally liked all the voice actors (especially kano's omg his voice is so adorable) and as a first episode, I think Shaft did a pretty decent job (^____^)
Apr 24, 2014 8:13 AM

Oct 2009
Well this was very SHAFT, liked it quite a bit but wasn't the art/animation rather cheap? Otherwise great sound design and OST.
Digging the OP!
AozureApr 24, 2014 9:40 AM
Apr 26, 2014 4:42 PM

Feb 2011
wat
Apr 26, 2014 10:37 PM

Mar 2014
Strange/wacky first episode but I liked it.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Apr 30, 2014 2:54 PM

Dec 2012
Huh. That felt too similar to Bakemonogatari in terms of direction and style, some scenes even had the same style of Zetsubou sensei. Well, that at the very least can guarantee that it will be enjoyable.

As for the actual content. It's very interesting to say the least. Will keep watching.
May 1, 2014 5:31 AM

Dec 2013
Seems quite interesting. Kinda similar to Bakemonogatari. But I hate fucking ugly background characters which remind me of Durarara. Seriously how lazy can ppl be
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» Mekakucity Reload ???? When ???

Ghefira - Mar 30, 2023

7 by dargoid »»
Jan 21, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2014

284 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:12 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

170 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

361 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 12:28 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

242 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.