Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2021 4:18 AM
Nov 2020
The seriousness is f**king killing me. Can we just get to the episode where I can see Rem again? Feels sick after watching this episode.
Jan 14, 2021 4:21 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Waller said:
Ok, the episode was great overall... but there are a couple of things that bother me about the speech.
Sure I'm more a Rem fan and maybe it's just an art director's choice, but for all the time he had this reflection of emilia in his eyes that instead to make me understand how much he loves emilia, imho it looked pretty sick, like a stalker or hypnosis.
Second, the speech was really poor from both the sides. It's just me or he was trying to copycat Rem? Then he has lost the reins halfway and started to scream. It's totally fine if he prefers emilia, but this was like a slap in every Rem's fan's face

I feel as if Subaru is on the brink of another mental breakdown. He seems obsessed, yes, obsessed with Emilia. I don't doubt he loves her of course. But it felt like he'd say or do anything to get her to accept his confession. Even trampling over her own words a bit. It felt a bit manipulative really.

I think it's due to the Greed thing and the return by death that his mind is becoming twisted.

As for Rem fans, I like Rem, but she currently is in a coma, over in the mansion with no mind, and no-one remembers her either. Not a focus in this arc. Maybe she will have more screen time in the next arc. I assume the issue of her existence being "eaten" will be dealt with in the next arc. After the Mansion and the Sanctuary are safe.

Jan 14, 2021 4:23 AM

Feb 2020
Otto is my MVP in this series. I loved the first part of this episode.
Jan 14, 2021 4:26 AM

Apr 2020
Best Boy! OTTO!! A bitter-sweet backstory. I really like it.
The fight animation was bothering me a bit, but overall it's fine.

Couples fight all the time lol.
They kissed! Finally! Woo-Hoo!

Garfiel looks really roughed up.
--AbiSa--
Jan 14, 2021 4:28 AM

Dec 2015
THEY FINALLY KISSEDDDD!!!! EMT i love you best girl
Jan 14, 2021 4:31 AM

Jun 2016
suki da ,suki da ,sukiiii daaa Emmiliaaa~~ !!!
i love this episode !!
Jan 14, 2021 4:35 AM
Mar 2011
NirvashX1 said:
suki da ,suki da ,sukiiii daaa Emmiliaaa~~ !!!
i love this episode !!
dame da ne
dame yo dame na no yo
anta ga suki de suki sugite
Jan 14, 2021 5:03 AM

Jan 2016
[quote=BlakexEkalb message=61687175]
FireFistYK said:
If Arc 4 isn't a masterpiece, then nothing is

Whitefox have done more than I could've hoped for and so have the voice actors! Blows episode 18 out of the water!

Been waiting for this scene for years, EMT BANZAI!

And it's only gonna get better from here on out

Woah woah woah settle down episode 18 was amazing, don’t say it blew it out of the water.[/quote

Both episodes were great, but this one tops it in my opinion
Jan 14, 2021 5:04 AM
Jan 2015
Everyone is talking about the kiss.

The best part was their eyes during the conversation. For the whole conversation you could see Emilia reflected in Subaru's Eyes.
At the end after their conversation, when Emilia looks at Subaru, Subaru was reflected in Emilia's eyes for the first time. That moment was magic.
Jan 14, 2021 5:04 AM

Jan 2016
BlakexEkalb said:
FireFistYK said:
If Arc 4 isn't a masterpiece, then nothing is

Whitefox have done more than I could've hoped for and so have the voice actors! Blows episode 18 out of the water!

Been waiting for this scene for years, EMT BANZAI!

And it's only gonna get better from here on out

Woah woah woah settle down episode 18 was amazing, don’t say it blew it out of the water.

Both episodes were amazing but this one tops ep 18 in my opinion
Jan 14, 2021 5:18 AM

Jul 2015
You guys misunderstood. This is not just a wholesome moment. Now Subaru has a very important reason to survive this timeline.

Jan 14, 2021 5:54 AM

Jan 2011
Piromysl said:
You guys misunderstood. This is not just a wholesome moment. Now Subaru has a very important reason to survive this timeline.

Ahaha, I was thinking the same thing :)
But he has to.
Otherwise we will have to go trough this again, imagine how the Rem fans will live trough that :D

Bottom line:
Best girl - Rem, no contest, but it doesnt matter. Subaru is only thinking with his dick and Emilia took that in the first episodes. So its better not to rub it into the faces of Rem fans too much :)
Jan 14, 2021 6:24 AM

Oct 2017
So this was the great episode that was supposed to blow everyone minds and make S2 worthwhile? Call me unimpressed.
Look the show is very good but it's no way near as people like to say it is.

Now I'm just wondering, will Subaru kill Emilia or kill himself after she dumps him after realizing how toxic its gonna be their relationship.... This is what gonna drive me watching this show from now on.
Jan 14, 2021 6:39 AM

May 2020
It was nice to learn more about Best Boi Otto's background and his ability, he's been through a lot too. His and Ram's fight against Garfiel was pretty entertaining, it was so satisfying when Ram punched Garfiel lol. I definitely like Otto even more after this episode.

And man, that second part sure was great. The voice acting during Emilia and Subaru's scene was incredible. And that kiss, after everything he's been through he finally got a proper kiss with Emilia. That kiss was definitely the highlight of this episode.

There might be more unexpected things to come, so I'm definitely looking forward to it!
Jan 14, 2021 6:41 AM
May 2016
Loved the Otto stuff the Subaru Emilia kiss was kinda weird besides Subaru looking deranged from suddenly having pupils big enough to draw Emilia in them to the 5 minute argument before it and Emilia being a blubbering wreck, it just felt super awkward. Lacked the real Emotional weight the Rem confession had. I'm hoping Garf kills him so we get a do over.
Also can Ram get some love? Poor girl had to be saved by Otto.
Jan 14, 2021 6:44 AM
May 2016
f1rsts0n said:

The best part was their eyes during the conversation. For the whole conversation you could see Emilia reflected in Subaru's Eyes.
At the end after their conversation, when Emilia looks at Subaru, Subaru was reflected in Emilia's eyes for the first time. That moment was magic.

I thought it made him look deranged, normally Subaru has very beady eyes. Having them suddenly be that huge so they could draw Emilia in them made him look really weird.
Jan 14, 2021 6:50 AM
May 2016
vangoz said:
I don't know what to make of the confession, it's so cheesy.
Is it just me or Subaru's eyes look so unnatural like he's in some kind of charm magic?

So Otto and Ram fight Garfiel in bloody battle only to buy time for Subaru to make love confession?

They were too big, he normally has eyes too small to fit a drawing of Emilia in them, it made him look like Betelgeuse staring at her so obsessively.
Jan 14, 2021 7:11 AM
Dec 2019
Atomic_Senpai said:
Cringe fest of an episode, how pathetic Emilia is.

grrr grr rem no win me angrrry
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Jan 14, 2021 7:39 AM
Oct 2019
Yes.. Yes finally we got Otto backstory...
This is what im watching for...

Damn Otto backstory was sad.. he got banished from his hometown... Wtf

Finally we got to see that scene with Betelgeuse, and that was tie in back into Season 1... so this is what happened
(I believe some people in Season 1 was saying the reason he didn't die because he is working with Betelgeuse lol)

"Reason to Believe"
That scene was really Beautiful...

Yuusuke Kobayashi and Rie Takahashi really give it all out and put all their emotion in the dialogue... Great Job

Finally they kissed (I hope this didn't triggered Rem fans lmao), he really went to so many hell for her...

You know what, for the first time as Rem fan, i feel happy for Subaru Emilia...
Jan 14, 2021 7:42 AM
Apr 2020
Man I freakin love this episode so much. Everything was perfect from start till the end. And I therefore think this is the best ep of this series so far. A deserving 10/10 emotional and beautiful ep for me

Now Emilia is starting to get the attention of many people <3
Jan 14, 2021 8:28 AM
Dec 2019
Otto best boi! the fact he only cried 3 times in his life...wow
damn he be doing his best out there, DO YOUR BEST, OTTO! GO, GO, OTTO!

Ram literally just slapped Garf and he went flying, either she got power or he's just weak (it's the former imo)

Emilia's and Subaru's convo brought me to tears, they never screamed in each other's face like that before iirc, it was all sweet words, never said anything bad about each other (iirc), which i hated, but wow! imo, this scene was great af. the fact that Emilia's reflection was there in Subaru's eyes the whole time, and that her eyes had some dark blurry lines with no reflection whatsoever, until she was certain he loved her, then there appeared Subaru's reflection, really liked this.
but she was kinda annoying (it's understandable tho) "I LOVE YOU" "but what if you don't?" "I LOVE YOU" "i'm sure you don't", if someone drank water each time Subaru said "I love you" this episode, they'll probably die.
took them long enough for the kiss! well, it's only a few months since Subaru got isekai'd, but it's 25+ episodes, so yeah.

EMT= Emilia-tan Maji Tenshi! can't wait to see her backstory
SMK= Subaru-kun Maji Kakkoi! the chadest simp

my fave part about the show, the fucking voice acting, was on point! Otto's VA was great af, have to look more works with him. Takahashi and Kobayashi were great as always, didn't expect less, they're did this whole scene very emotional, hearing Kobayashi's voice in both Re:Zero and Dr.stone at the same day is happily welcomed. and that scene with beast form Garf got me worried about Nobu's vocal chords yet again.

everything in this episode gave me the chills, especially when Realize played in both scenes (I'm sure about the first one, but not the kiss scene's ost?). Otto's backstory also brought me to tears, it was great imo.

"It's not like I was waiting for you"
sure jan
chitanda-0-Jan 14, 2021 8:33 AM
Jan 14, 2021 8:30 AM
Jan 2015
MenchiK1 said:
f1rsts0n said:

I thought it made him look deranged, normally Subaru has very beady eyes. Having them suddenly be that huge so they could draw Emilia in them made him look really weird.

I think that was the point...most of the things he was saying were beyond reason.
Jan 14, 2021 8:44 AM
Dec 2019
f1rsts0n said:

ikr, that detail was my absolute favorite
Jan 14, 2021 9:10 AM

Jun 2020
Re zero season 1 didn't have these extended 1 on 1 dialogue scenes (except the one with Rem). Since last season it's there in almost every episode and it's amazing. This is what has made this show epic.
Jan 14, 2021 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
finally the subaru kissed emilia, the ability of otto is very interesting.

Mod Edit: Removed unrelated picture. Please use your signature.
Koito91Jan 18, 2021 12:35 PM
Jan 14, 2021 9:32 AM

Jan 2017
Look like Re:Zero is the first anime I'm dropping 'cause holy sh*t their love should've never happened, it's that bad.

This episode was the worst rollercoaster I've ever been on. The first half of the episode with Otto made me think it's going to be a 10/10, but then the second half happened and I would've never expected I was going to hate it this much
Jan 14, 2021 9:36 AM

Sep 2020
ah shit Subaru got a really happy moment
hopefully, this means he won't get the most gruesome death scene yet next

love to see some best boy otto character backstory
the fight scene's animation looked weird sometimes but nothing too off-putting
the direction in that final scene was amazing
white fox being white fox and cutting both OP and ED as well as giving a 30-minute episode, love it

overall a 9/10 episode, hopefully, this is the beginning of a great payoff
much better than last episode
ZprotuJan 14, 2021 9:39 AM
Jan 14, 2021 10:00 AM
Mar 2020
Ramthazz said:
Look like Re:Zero is the first anime I'm dropping 'cause holy sh*t their love should've never happened, it's that bad.

This episode was the worst rollercoaster I've ever been on. The first half of the episode with Otto made me think it's going to be a 10/10, but then the second half happened and I would've never expected I was going to hate it this much

I completely agree, I feel like I watched a different show than everyone else, granted, there were good moments in it like the actual kiss but the sheer amounts of "I love you"s really, really irritated me.
Jan 14, 2021 10:04 AM

Jul 2017
So, why did Subaru break his promise to Emilia on staying with her until morning?
Jan 14, 2021 10:11 AM

Jul 2014
glavojp said:
So, why did Subaru break his promise to Emilia on staying with her until morning?
It will be explained later.
Jan 14, 2021 10:24 AM
Feb 2019
Alpha_Druid said:

And Wilhelm said that after she was long gone. Maybe, that's why it was even more powerful.

Agreed.

Alpha_Druid said:

I agree that Subaru's dialogue was underwhelming, but Subaru isn't someone like Rem who can talk to people that well. This is the only way he can think of to make up with Emilia.

I understand that but the author needs to be aware that some people will simply find those type of scenes cringey, this could've been avoided by reducing the amount of those cringey "I love you" and having a better script, maybe that's the way Subaru as a character express himself but some viewers will dislike those things. With a better script I would have loved that scene and I bet every one that loves it now would have loved it anyway so it would have been a win-win situation for all of us.

Alpha_Druid said:

Speaking of Emilia, she is justified in her crying. Puck didn't come out this whole season and when he did he left her just like that. I felt bad for her.
I think this is the point where Emilia stops being a "damsel in distress" because I think that was the point of this episode.

I agree, Emilia is indeed justified in her crying but Emilia has been a "Damsel in Distress" for like 13 episodes straight now and by now it seems like it's dragging, we are still in the forest and things are barely moving. Hopefully things starts moving now.

I enjoyed Season 2 part 1 but now I want things to move forward, I'm already tired of this forest part.
Jan 14, 2021 11:29 AM

Jan 2016
Otto was epic, he is definitely best boi. Second half annoyed me tho, Emilia speaking absolute non-sense.
Jan 14, 2021 11:50 AM
Dec 2020
Me after Otto's part of the episode: o_o
Jan 14, 2021 11:51 AM
Dec 2020
RobinTheKing said:
Otto was epic, he is definitely best boi. Second half annoyed me tho, Emilia speaking absolute non-sense.

exactly, like stop whining lol

I also want it to proceed with the story with Gluttony and all that
Jan 14, 2021 12:13 PM
Dec 2015
Man, after that speech Subaru gave I was about to walk out if Emilia didnt respond to that. I actually raised my arms and said yes when they kissed! I guess its bye bye time for Rem :D
Jan 14, 2021 1:25 PM

Sep 2019
I'm far from invested in Emilia and Subaru's relationship, but congratulations to all of you Subaru x Emilia fans out there. Even if you have been partly responsible for the great amount of toxicity that there is in this fandom, god knows you have suffered quite a bit, too. So, congratulations and I hope this is marks the ending of the whole waifu war, both in unverse and IRL.

Despite flaws in his character development I am liking Otto more and more, too, and a bit of action is always welcomed.

Soy gitana, canasteraaa.
Jan 14, 2021 1:47 PM

Jun 2009
The Emilia screaming in the last part of the episode annoyed the hell out of me, wanted to skip the end. It's like if you have to your gf being mad, then you see same shit in anime which you watch to relax...how about no.
Jan 14, 2021 1:50 PM

Jun 2009
Ramthazz said:

Yep, totally agree, It was god awful. Had to fast forward it.
Jan 14, 2021 2:03 PM

Aug 2011
I love this anime, I really do, its one of my favorites, but Subaru's 'love' for Emilia makes no fucking sense and its by far the weakest part of the story. Emilia had some very valid criticisms only for Subaru to brush them off by repeatedly stating that he loved her. That doesn't change what she had to say.
This episode was great, the directing and everything where well done, but without any form of buildup towards their relationship it ends up being feeling flat and fake.
I wish the author would at least try and flesh out both Emilia and Subaru before forcing this romance on the viewer. Had we had that build up, the episode would've been far better.
Jan 14, 2021 2:58 PM

Apr 2020
I found this episode especially good.

Haven't felt this way about ReZero for quite some time but the pacing in the series seems to have gotten much better! I suddenly feel like I have a firmer grasp on what is happening and I feel good.

Otto is officially a character! I would have never thought that Otto would be anything more than a bypasser but he is getting so much development right now. His story is also really unique and touching. Nice work!

Finally Subaru confessed all of his feelings to Emilia in an appropriate manner! I'd say, as a viewer, that felt pretty good and the voice acting was also great! Emilia's VA really blew me away, I'll be honest I wasn't expecting this powerful performance but she delivered and I'm glad.

The "fight scene" wasn't really much of a fight scene so I'm not going to comment about it too much. It was a bit lackluster but at least we got to see Otto in action and also Ram in combat again woooo Ram, we need more of her.

Eager to watch the next episode of ReZero. Haven't said that in a while.
Jan 14, 2021 3:04 PM
Mar 2018
Oh my poor Otto, I wish I could give him a hug. Seeing him suffer so young hurts.

Oh yeah and Subaru kissing Emilia, that was sweet too.

Jan 14, 2021 4:19 PM
May 2020
pog they kissed, they are kinda cute together

i've always thought of Otto as a weird character but after this he's still weird but kinda cool also
Jan 14, 2021 4:33 PM
Feb 2020
holy shit he did it WOW it took almost 5 years LMAO
Jan 14, 2021 4:51 PM
Feb 2020
The episodes are so long. I cannot express how much I appreciate the production putting a story over revenue.

Of course this will still make them bank in the end though. They are creating a masterpiece.
Jan 14, 2021 5:25 PM
Oct 2020
This is episode was perfect. People who are complaining about Subaru and Emilia's relationship need to rewatch the show smh... they clearly understood nothing.
Jan 14, 2021 5:28 PM
Oct 2020
NovaLord said:
I love this anime, I really do, its one of my favorites, but Subaru's 'love' for Emilia makes no fucking sense and its by far the weakest part of the story. Emilia had some very valid criticisms only for Subaru to brush them off by repeatedly stating that he loved her. That doesn't change what she had to say.
This episode was great, the directing and everything where well done, but without any form of buildup towards their relationship it ends up being feeling flat and fake.
I wish the author would at least try and flesh out both Emilia and Subaru before forcing this romance on the viewer. Had we had that build up, the episode would've been far better.

Build up? Their relationship starting from literally episode 1 up to this point was the build up. Author already fleshed them out well enough already, I don't see how you think this is "forced", Subaru is not forcing Emilia to love him.
Jan 14, 2021 6:49 PM

May 2019
thinking now, it would not be coherent with want we expect from the usual Subaru arc: "die, die, die, learn, wins successfully"... but...

Now i guess all this Otto episode was a HUGE DEATH FLAG.

But it is complicated to talk about death flag in Re:zero since ALL AND EVERY characters already died once.
Jan 14, 2021 7:08 PM

Jun 2019
StupidSimp69 said:
NovaLord said:

Build up? Their relationship starting from literally episode 1 up to this point was the build up. Author already fleshed them out well enough already, I don't see how you think this is "forced", Subaru is not forcing Emilia to love him.

How it's not be forced? I mean, he did force Emilia to get her memory and lose Pack. I don't think it's the best way. Even breaking her promise and it ended up being a yelling scene. Feels awkward.
lettuce<3
Jan 14, 2021 7:19 PM
Apr 2017
Accelise_ said:
StupidSimp69 said:

How it's not be forced? I mean, he did force Emilia to get her memory and lose Pack. I don't think it's the best way. Even breaking her promise and it ended up being a yelling scene. Feels awkward.

He had 3 days, now 1 and a half day before Roswall starts both attacks and he is not even in the mansion yet, he has no time to take it slow.

Subaru is not "forcing" his love, he did it so she can trust him, it's not like they are a couple now, Emilia has not said she loves him back, the kiss was just a proof that she took to believe in his words and move on from her drepessive state and people are ignoring everything he said outside the "I love you" parts, like finding her reason to live in her memories.

How people has not put together that he left at night to prepare the plan with Otto ? even Otto said they made a lot of preparations last episode.
Jan 14, 2021 7:24 PM

Jun 2020
Accelise_ said:
StupidSimp69 said:

Well, they’re supposed to be awkward because they are both socially awkward ever since they’re both mostly secluded from the social exposure (Low Social Exposure). The social interaction between both of them still makes sense. Subaru was built up to be NEET due to his socially closet arrogance, while Emilia was built-up to be racially discriminated and outcast due to her similar appearance with a Jealous Witch (Satella).

And how does it feel “forced” to you? Subaru did give Emilia a freedom and chance to dodge the kiss with her own will if she couldn’t submit his confession, but instead, she submitted to it because she also had a high impression on Subaru too. Of course, Subaru was expecting that she would reject him in no time, but it fortunately had happened otherwise instead.

Also there was a hint dialogue from Frederick within the early episodes of Part 1 that she and Emilia had talked about Subaru being so “impressive”, which there was a positive gossip during the off-screened time.
HanashiD4Jan 14, 2021 7:28 PM

"You don't get it, a million sorry's is not equal to one thank you." — Emilia
Pages (13) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 24, 2021

618 by coelhopreto »»
Jun 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Did you like part 1 or part 2 of season 2 better?

castle2001 - May 26

19 by QcDiablo »»
Jun 11, 7:07 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 3, 2021

278 by D-A-W »»
May 20, 9:00 PM

» Rem have become most favourite anime female character!!! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ZXEAN - Jan 29, 2021

298 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
May 16, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 10, 2021

534 by ymirstear »»
May 10, 4:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.