Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
May 23, 2012 4:13 PM
Oct 2010
8/10 for me...

Ok, now can someone explain the ending to me? I've been reading people's interpretations and stuff, but I still can't seem to understand.

First thing I don't understand: The scene where red penguin shaped stuff comes flying out of Kanba's chest and start turning into apples. What happened there? o.o

Second thing: Who actually saved Himari? Ringo's fate transfer or Kanba returning the penguindrum/apple?

This is what I think had happened:

The penguindrum represents existence and it's used to save Himari and it's somehow related to the apple in which Kanba shared with Shoma, and Shoma shared with Himari. Then they all returned it to Kanba to make the penguindrum/apple whole so he can be give it to Momoka to save Himari. So, Kanba disappeared because he has no penguindrum/apple and Shoma took Ringo's punishment because he's going to disappear anyway for the same reason as Kanba.

If that's what happened then why did Ringo need to transfer fate if Himari is already saved? Ringo was going on about how she wants to save Himari's life with the fate transfer, so I don't think she used it to save the people on the train from the bombs. And if Ringo did use the diary to save people from the bombs, then why can't Himari remember her brothers in the new world?

I think Ringo's fate transfer made Himari to never have met Shoma and Kanba, so she wouldn't become part of their family and receive punishment for their parents' crime. I'm guessing the punishment is Himari's sickness which caused her to die.
May 29, 2012 7:21 PM

Jan 2011
10/10. Kanba x Shouma OTP. Anime of the year.
Jun 8, 2012 10:32 PM

Jun 2012
Steins Gate anyone? The timelines changed resulting in a different reality without Himari ever meeting Sho and Kanba. Himari becomes a normal girl now without ever meeting her "brothers" but her memories of the previous timeline remain hidden within her. Although in Steins Gate, it is hinted that they eventually meet again, Himari might only remember her brothers by heart and never by memory. Damn it! I wanted Sho x Ringo to work out T_T
Jun 16, 2012 4:08 PM

Jun 2010
This Ending made me cry but the reason is becuase they don't remember each other and does it explain why shouma and kamba where put in those cages?
Jun 17, 2012 6:10 AM
Sep 2011
Rynia said:
First thing I don't understand: The scene where red penguin shaped stuff comes flying out of Kanba's chest and start turning into apples. What happened there? o.o

From what happens in Episode 18 I would say those things are stylized blood drops and seems to symbolize Kanba sacrificing himself to save Himari. It's also suggested throughout the show that Kanba's sacrifice is perhaps a bit hollow and has an element of self delusion. It seems that he is almost addicted to the thought of being a "Savior" - and willing to do quite horrible things to maintain the fantasy. When Himari showed him kindness and affection, and comforted him, that seemingly allowed his sacrifice to be transformed into something worthwile (the apples).

Rynia said:
Second thing: Who actually saved Himari? Ringo's fate transfer or Kanba returning the penguindrum/apple?

All of it: Ringo's fate transfer; Shoma returning the apple and sharing Ringo's punishment; Kanba allowing himself to be shredded in the Child Broiler. In my understanding of the show, Himari's life is symbolic of the Takakura imaginary family (they're not blood related but they still love eachother). Every time Himari 'dies', that's a way of saying that maybe such 'families' - where people truly care about eachother even though they're not blood - cannot exist in the real world. When Shoma, Ringo and Kanba all chose to sacrifice themselves in various ways for the benefit of others, that means that such 'families' (friendship, really) can exist - and that's why Himari survives.
Jun 23, 2012 11:17 AM

Dec 2011
Just finished the series. Personally, I loved it. It takes multifaceted storytelling to a whole new level. I think one of the best things about the series is how you can interpret it at so many different levels. A solid 9/10 from me overall.

Rynia said:

sherwoodanderson made some great points about these but as for my personal take on the matter:

1) The red penguin shaped stuff coming out of Kanba's chest and turning into apples represent the half of the penguindrum that was inside him all along.

2) Ringo initiated the fate transfer and was about to pay the price by turning into a human torch (dying) but Shouma was against letting someone he loves paying such a steep price to help his family so he took the punishment in her stead. The reason Kanba needed to fulfil the penguindrum was to remove the curse that plagued him + his real family + also Shouma and Himari. Someone made an awesome diagram explaining the movement/splitting of the penguindrum (the apple of fate that was shared throughout the series) here

I'd like to add that I don't believe that the penguindrum was returned to the two siblings as shown iin the diagram. I believe it was used by Momoka to leave that library place (which might represent purgatory/hell/ place of unfulfilled desires/place for collection of all the bad thoughts of the world), thus leaving Sanetoshi and fulfilling his prophecy that he would never be able to be together with Momoka due to their differences.
“I’m tired of all the nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That’s deep enough. What do you want – an adorable pancreas?”

Jun 29, 2012 2:32 PM

Aug 2008
First 12 episodes kept making me more and more confused because problems kept building up after another problems.
The last 12 episodes, vaguely answered it.

Why does the number 95 keep appearing?

This whole series was confusing lol. I liked it, but I have no clue what happened.....This diagram really helps here

8/10

I liked how Himari likes monkeys know instead of penguins LOL
Jul 2, 2012 11:38 AM

Aug 2011
Kallen_R2 said:
First 12 episodes kept making me more and more confused because problems kept building up after another problems.

1995 was the year when Ringo, Kanba and Shoma were born (even in the same day) and was also the year (and day) when the terrorist attack (the "sin") ocurred, and when Momoka disappeared.
arrozykamehamehaJul 13, 2012 7:48 PM
Jul 10, 2012 3:34 PM

Oct 2010
i am still not quite sure of how this happened, bitter sweet i suppose, the actual story didn't hit me, it was just the music and the voice acting that made it feel intense, could of been better, but still a good series, not sure what to rate yet
Jul 17, 2012 12:20 PM
Mar 2010
Himari should have just died, Kanba commit suicide, Shouma and Ringo get married. That would have been dramatic enough for me.
Jul 19, 2012 4:05 PM

Jan 2012
brb reading up on greek/jap literature to understand wtf really happened

lol @ sheep clueless viewers jumping on the train of "OMFG I DON'T UNDERSTAND A DAMN THING, BUT I KNOW THIS ANIME IS VERY DEEP AND FULL OF STUFF I COULD NEVER UNDERSTAND. 10/10!!!!

It's a quite refreshing series for me.. 8/10
Jul 21, 2012 11:10 AM

Dec 2008
God dammit... That ending made me all teary-eyed. I don't think I completely understand everything, and I'm gutted Shouma and Ringo couldn't be together in the end, but overall - what a brilliant series.
Jul 25, 2012 8:56 AM

Jan 2008
;_; Oh man...wow.

First of all, this show's greatest merit is indeed that I have to keep thinking about it - and with the help of the ending, so many things fall neatly into place now. It just needs a bit of time to appreciate what was shown to you.
However, of course there were flaws, some seemed kinda "blatant" at the end (Mario's role?), but this didn't actually managed to negate all the thing the show did perfectly. So, this is a 9/10 for me in the end. I enjoyed the show a lot.

I've got to add that I get the feeling there are various people who didn't take the time to think about the entire show for a bit and/or didn't even pay attention to many things which would have helped them getting a bit of an enlightenment - which resulted in them going "Too confusing, it was random, didn't get it, it's bad". Seriously, if you failed to get what the 95 stood for or only now realized that "there was some episode with similar boys talking", or why the hat alone wasn't sufficient to keep Himari alive, then sorry, but either you didn't pay attention at all or you're really bad with symbolism and then of course this show is not for you.
Giving this show ratings of 4 or similar just plainly states that you weren't willing to think about it in the slightest, imho.

Of course there are a lot of things that still need interpretation in the end, but of course, that's almost entirely up to your power of imagination and willingness to put some thought into this. I would like to point out the last message Himari finds inside the bear (which still is the broken/stitched one, mind you - Shoma and Kanba weren't in this "world line", so it shouldn't be damaged - but we remember Himari's words "the stitched belly is a proof that we're family" - so they boys left yet another thing behind). I actually had to wonder whether this is the "message to a precious person" that the two promised to deliver when they were in those boxes. In the end, both of them survived, so they delivered that shared message....perhaps? =)

So...are Shoma and Kanba reborn - or spirits wandering around in the afterlife? Who knows, it might point to the latter, but in any case, they produced happiness together and that's probably all that matters.
SaorinJul 25, 2012 9:07 AM

Aug 15, 2012 5:45 PM

Nov 2010
Kallen_R2 said:

This whole series was confusing lol. I liked it, but I have no clue what happened.....This diagram really helps here

8/10

I liked how Himari likes monkeys know instead of penguins LOL

I understand it more better after the diagram xD
I really liked how the first person did the summary xD Cool~
Sep 20, 2012 11:30 PM

Dec 2007
OMFG, tears are still pouring from my eyes what a beautiful ending..I don't remember the last time I cried for a series I didn't even cry for Clannad.. Ikuhara, Brains Base and all the staff you rock!! 10/10
Sep 21, 2012 3:58 PM

Mar 2012
That was an amazing ending. I'm glad I took the time to watch this anime.
Sep 24, 2012 4:42 PM

Jun 2008
Ok , No one here will disagree that no anime would ever surpass this in .. weird uniqueness ? Idk the whole thing made me shocked episode by episode , leave alone the end that fucked up my mind

I really wanted Shouma to end up with Ringo , Cared less about Himari , tbh I'm kinda pissed that bug is still alive she really had no role its sad its all done for such bacteria

Anyways I loved the end , Death of Shouma and Kanba made it memorable , usual happy endings are not remembered

10/10 in a weird twisted awesome way , I'd say 9 and half out of 10 because of how shitty the character "Himari" was , but I couldnt because of the awesomeness
Oct 12, 2012 7:05 AM

Jan 2010
I'm........... confused... really confused. I don't really understand symbolism thingy. Aaaargh I hope I could understand this show more!! I like how it is so unique, weird and strange in a good way, and this show is so unexpected and mindf*king...

I cried a little, but if I understand this show fully, I might cried a lot like everyone else had and gave it a 10/10. But I didn't....... So, 8/10.........
Oct 14, 2012 2:03 PM

Aug 2011
Found the series pretty blarghh, dunno whether to give 6 or 7/10
Oct 15, 2012 7:58 PM

Jan 2012
I loved it, however I've got questions that are bugging me:
1) What is exactly Pingum drum? I thought it was a feeling. Is it right?
2)Why didn't Himari achieve to join the triple H?
3)Were their parents really dead? How so?
4) Was Momoka posessing Himari when she was wering the hat?
5)Assuming it was Momoka posessing Himari, why did she say harsh things to Ringo?
6)In the end, did they(Shouma and Kanba) turn themselves in ghost?
In spite of the questions, I really liked this anime.

"El Psy Congroo"
Oct 19, 2012 3:38 PM

Jul 2012
That was kinda terrible.
Oct 23, 2012 2:51 PM
Oct 2010
I think there's a mistake with the translation for the note Himari finds in the end.
She says "Oni-chan" so that means brother (single), but the subtitles said brothers (plural).

The japanese word for brothers (plural) is kyoudai tachi.

So...any clarification? Did only one brother write that? if so, then who?
Oct 27, 2012 11:48 PM
Jan 2012
Besides Shouma sacrificing himself to save Ringo, the ending was indeed kinda terrible. The series was awesome in the first 12 episodes, but after that, it went downhill. Or maybe I am too stupid to get the meaning of all the psychological in this show...

Anyway, I would give it a 6/10, but thanks to the diagram posted in the previous page, I will give it a 7/10.
Nov 7, 2012 10:38 PM

Jul 2012
They tried to hard to mind fuck everyone for the last episode it was a very good series but this last episode was a total WTF moment I felt the sacrifice junk was forced. Why do they have to be in some alternate universe and not live as a family anymore I just feel its stupid.....maybe I just can't come to terms because it was sad ending but it could have been done better
Nov 27, 2012 1:48 PM

Jul 2012
So they become strangers at the end?
Nov 27, 2012 9:12 PM

Jun 2011
I was close to tears...
I know its a great ending, its just that I wanted Ringo and Shouma to be together~!
When he said "I Love You" to her and dissapeared into the flames it broke my heart
Nov 27, 2012 9:21 PM

Jun 2011
1idd0kun said:
Vanisher said:
why were kanba and shouma in those boxes? what were the true intentions of shouma father? (is he even his father?)

Shouma's father wanted to change society into something more fair so everyone could be equally happy. Those intentions were good, the problem were his methods.

As for the boxes, they represent humans' inherent selfishness, which might prevent us from reaching out to others and create inter-personal relationships.

Vanisher said:
What about the apple that himari got from shouma? how did ringo/double h knew about the phrase of the spell?

The apple is just symbolic of reaching out to others. It represent the connection/bond between people.

The phrase of the spell are just word that are important to the one you cast the spell for. Double H's words were important to Himari, so that's why Ringo used those words as the spell. The spell just represent the will to sacrifice for someone else out of love, so the words don't really matter much.

Anyway, almost everything in penguidrum is symbolic or metaphorical, so it makes more sense if you don't try to take it too much as face value.

The apple was also represented something to those religious Christian ideals. Such as how Shouma asked Himari if she knew of the story of the first two human beings, he was referring to Adam and Eve. If I remember correctly one of them was tricked by Satan because one of them ate the apple even though God told them specifically not to thus caused pain and suffering.
Nov 27, 2012 9:24 PM

Jun 2011
Arjay-nyan said:
Someone explain the ending to me. ಥ_ಥ Why did Kanba died ?And how did Shoma take the fate transfer punishment from Ringo ?

Because both Kanba and Shouma shared the same fate. Remember when little kid Kanba gave little kid Shouma half of the apple? One of the things he said to little kid Shouma before giving him the apple was this "Let us share the same fate..."
Dec 1, 2012 6:27 PM
Dec 2012
Wonderful. Just one question.This question may have already been answered but if shouma died, than wouldn't Himari be dead as well because Shouma was the one who saved her from wanting to be dead?
Dec 3, 2012 4:53 PM

Sep 2011
10/10

I feel that ending has similarities to Super Frog Saves Tokyo (the book that Himari was looking for).

I wonder if Shouma and Kanba turned into a ghost or something like Momoka. Anyway, I'm still satisfied.
pew pew pew
Dec 4, 2012 5:49 PM
Oct 2012
I wasn't expecting much, but knew this was something special from the first episode. It was a really bittersweet and beautiful ending to a beautiful story--something I won't forget soon! Just curious though, what exactly were Himari's feelings towards Kanba at the end? I was confused because she said Shouma was her soulmate, but the ending seemed to pair Kanba and Himari together more.
Dec 8, 2012 5:10 PM

Jun 2009
Great series, there is no doubt in my mind that that is the case. I'm still not exactly sure what happened in this final episode. But, a few of the posts in the first few pages kind of helped clear that up. Such as the box representing human selfishness and Kanba overcoming that and then consequently he and Shouma sacrificing themselves for their respective love interests and more or less resetting the world and making others forget them. But, they were reset back to their time as children?

Anyway, like Utena, this is a series that clearly will have a lot of re-watch value going forward in which I can uncover things I didn't notice before. To me, it's awesome when a director/writer/anime doesn't treat me like a fool and lets me notice things for myself. Plus it helps to add to some actually pretty riveting discussions in a forum topic for once.

As far as the overall series. Great stuff. Characters are usually a pretty big deal to me and I feel this series really excelled in that regard. I mean, look at Ringo from the start of the series up to the end. She went through crazy development, from a stalker girl who really only looked out for what she believed could keep HER family together to almost willingly sacrificing herself for her friend. Kanba was more or less shrouded in mystery throughout the series. You never were really sure what he was up to, but by the end it was pretty clear that there is really no one more dedicated to their "sister" than he is.

Shouma and Himari were good as well, but I feel the two I went in depth about were the ones to stick the most out to me. Most of the supporting characters were pretty well explored as well, and this is something I really dig about Ikuhara. He definitely gives most characters their due focus. Though I kind of think he dropped the ball a bit on Mario.

Also, a shoutout to 1idd0kun and the post about what exactly the apples represent here. To be honest, I've always associated the Apple with the forbidden fruit story and didn't even think that about it being a positive. A lot of scenes definitely make sense looking back.

9/10
Ston3_FreeN7Dec 8, 2012 6:13 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 27, 2012 6:36 AM
Nov 2010
i would have wish for a better ending but overall it is awesome^^
Hi
Dec 30, 2012 11:06 AM

Mar 2010
I really enjoyed this series the unique use of art style (similar to bakemonogatari), the atmosphere matches the moods, good story telling, great ending.
Dec 31, 2012 2:23 PM
Oct 2012
sonnandeskcar said:
Clearly copied the ending from Madoka, 4/10
jst shut up
Jan 9, 2013 10:16 AM

Jul 2011
Well, this anime sent me from a crazier ride than I expected. I thought I was going to be completely confused after the ending, but it was easier to digest than I thought. (Maybe seeing so other psychological anime previously prepped me for this?)

The production and story were phenomenal, but a few personal beefs with the show prevent me from giving it a perfect 10. However, it's a 9.5 in my head and definitely somewhere on my top 10 overall. Will definitely watch again.
Jan 10, 2013 1:14 PM
Sep 2011
Just ended re-watching it, and it is useless to say how much I love this show. This show was a pure win from start to finish, even though it's only flaws are noticeable when Ikuhara tried to give an -even more- symbolic ending and make another commentary on human's relationships. However, no one can deny his genius storytelling skills and high intellect after giving us such a touching masterpiece. Ikuhara, you amazing bastard.

9/10, A masterpiece in the history of anime.
Jan 13, 2013 3:14 PM

May 2008
Very good series. I need to get the soundtrack.
Jan 15, 2013 6:47 AM
Oct 2012
Call me crazy but I didn't really enjoy it at all. Ok, it was deep but I didn't feel that same ... wow.. what an ending like I did with angel beats.

7/10 for me.
Jan 21, 2013 2:10 PM

Jan 2013
Just finished this series (I wanted to cry, but I couldn't :( ), probably going to give it at least an 8/10, any higher will be determined by the answer to this post, although I regret to say that I can't give it a 10 b/c of some unanswered questions of mine, like what the hell was wrong with Mario, questions about Sanetoshi's past, and questions about Kanba's real father, along with various others. I'm not usually picky about plot details, but for this series it just seemed weird to me to leave that kind of stuff out. Anyway, I'm just a little confused about the plot of the series. I get that Kanba shared the fruit with Shouma, who then shared it with Himari, and then in the end it was returned to Kanba, who sacrificed himself for Himari to live, and Shouma paid the price for Ringo changing fate; the world changes so that Kanba and Shouma supposedly never existed, and those two children in the beginning of the series are revealed to be Kanba and Shouma, who seem to be on their way to the next world, and Himari possibly remembers them from the note in the teddy bear. Anyway, I'm just confused about the progression of events. What exactly is the fruit of fate, and what does it do? This might be an unanswerable question, but to anyone who responds, thanks!
Jan 22, 2013 1:26 PM

Mar 2008
namelessregret said:
Besides Shouma sacrificing himself to save Ringo, the ending was indeed kinda terrible. The series was awesome in the first 12 episodes, but after that, it went downhill. Or maybe I am too stupid to get the meaning of all the psychological in this show...

Anyway, I would give it a 6/10, but thanks to the diagram posted in the previous page, I will give it a 7/10.

Pretty much my feelings as well.
Jan 22, 2013 5:53 PM

Dec 2008
I have no idea of what I just watched 24 episodes of. It made me laugh, cry, and feel fright all at the same time. It's a very simple story, so the added symbolism was a bit much. I love the character design, animation, and seiyuus. And, the character development was awesome! However, there was still something about this anime that kept me from totally enjoying it.

I think it's really fucked up that Shouma and Kanba had to pay the price for their parents' sins. And it was even more fucked up that Kanba was meeting with ghosts in what turned out to be a run down ramen shop.

I can't give it any more than a 7/10.
Jan 23, 2013 1:46 AM

Oct 2012
This series pissed me off. It's like a more convoluted version of Magica Madoka.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 23, 2013 2:02 AM

Feb 2010
SomaRukido said:
Anyway, I'm just a little confused about the plot of the series. I get that Kanba shared the fruit with Shouma, who then shared it with Himari, and then in the end it was returned to Kanba, who sacrificed himself for Himari to live, and Shouma paid the price for Ringo changing fate; the world changes so that Kanba and Shouma supposedly never existed, and those two children in the beginning of the series are revealed to be Kanba and Shouma, who seem to be on their way to the next world, and Himari possibly remembers them from the note in the teddy bear. Anyway, I'm just confused about the progression of events. What exactly is the fruit of fate, and what does it do? This might be an unanswerable question, but to anyone who responds, thanks!

This pretty much sums up everything I'm thinking right now and all of my confusion. I was following along pretty well and then all of that just threw me off and I don't even know what exactly happened there lol.

Enjoyed the ride, though. The end was just a bit...unsatisfying to me after ALL OF THAT.
Jan 25, 2013 6:56 PM

Apr 2012
Well this was an interesting and somewhat conveluted (scratch that, very conveluted) show. I'm really confused about Sanetoshi's motivations. What were they exactly? Trying to release people from boxes...??? All that I got was that he was the villain, but everything else about him kind of confuzzles me.

Despite being very confusing, I think that Penguindrum was overall a fun and unique ride. And the penguins = win.
Jan 26, 2013 5:16 PM

Nov 2007
I guess this show clearly demonstrates what happens when you overload a simple story with so much symbolism that any context to create meaning is drowned entirely. The 'child broiler', the apple being the 'fruit of knowledge and love', life being a punishment - all good ideas individually. But too many cooks spoil the broth.

Too many loose ends that never were properly tied up. While I reluctantly accept that the events and characters are not supposed to be questioned beyond what is shown, I feel the show lost all of its credibility halfway through the story. Supposedly shocking events made me either laugh or shake my head in disbelief. I was expecting this anime to give justice to its 'psychological'-tag at some point but it was rather doing the opposite. Making not much sense whatsoever. The characters remained one-dimensional throughout (although the majority of forum users seems to have been more occupied with pair 'shipping' ...)

Wrapping a story of hate and love towards the world/people into a surreal package doesn't add to its content but rather obscures the narration and yields nothing more but a shiny package. And shiny it was. The animation and especially the soundtrack were excellent. The rest questionable at best.
VurtoxJan 26, 2013 5:19 PM
Jan 26, 2013 6:50 PM

Jul 2009
quukii said:
I'm really confused about Sanetoshi's motivations. What were they exactly? Trying to release people from boxes...??? All that I got was that he was the villain, but everything else about him kind of confuzzles me.

The two black rabbits directly stated his motives during the ending theme on episode 23.
"I never amounted to anything. No, I finally gained power. I'm going to take my revenge on the world that never needed me. I finally will become visible." and then Sanetoshi himself talks about "destroying the box called 'self'". Basically, he wants to break down the walls between people, and get noticed. Hes willing to do it through destruction since the world never cared about him nor wanted him, and he thinks its the only way.

I'm actually pretty disappointed in how shallow his motives were..
Jan 27, 2013 1:49 AM

Nov 2007
kirby_422 said:
I'm actually pretty disappointed in how shallow his motives were..

When it comes down to it we could say that for all characters the sole motivation was getting noticed, being loved.
- Ringo wanted to get Tabuki's love (in order to replace Momoka), later on she wanted Shouma to notice her. All she ever amounted to was devotion.
- Tabuki and Yuri longed for Momoka because she was the first person to love and accept them. All their actions were centered around her.
- Masako wanted Kanba to return to her side, his sole attention.

- While the Takakura's had each other to establish the feeling of being loved, they still only centered their actions around obsessively retaining the status quo. Undying devotion to Himari in order to keep being loved.
Feb 17, 2013 12:52 PM
Feb 2012
Good ending. Wrapped things up fairly well. What worked for me: the music, symbolism and metaphors, the use of humor, addictive pacing. What didn't: the characters irritated me--they were either manic-depressive, brutally self-absorbed to a fault, or obsessive ; the plot got muddled with too much metaphor upon metaphor with a lots of soap opera twists for character development. It's like endless "Luke, I am your father" moments--I think a few are OK for a plotline, too many and the shock effect wears off, you begin to expect, "Luke, I am actually not your father but your tormented double from an alternate dimension and your sister is actually my grand-mother who was the embodiment of the Goddess Diana. You must save her by finding the one thing I won't tell you how to find and your name isn't Luke, because you are the hero of a thousand faces." "Oh, ya, that's right, I'm not Luke at all! It only took 20 episodes for me to remember that!"

The mark of great literature is usually from subtext, multiple levels of meaning that coincide with the overt narrative to complete an experience. Mawaru Penguindrum has oodles of subtext and metaphor for two or three great series. The problem is that the overall structure gets bloated with it and it seems practically self-indulgent.

Also, the primary theme that structures the characters behaviors (especially Kanba's) is that the lack of love, or the search/protection of love, distorts normally good people into doing bad things (becoming stalkers, ignoring their children, obsessing over a false hope, repeating the mistakes of parents, etc.) The problem was for me, I really didn't like the characters for long stretches, especially Ringo during her stalker phase. She was a bitch and I wanted her to burn up just like the OP credits implied. (By the way, I wanted to sue for false advertising when Shouma took the flames for her)

The story seems to imply that all can be absolved since one is doing it for love. Kanba murdered people in cold blood, perhaps not directly but Osama bin Laden didn't either. I understand and support the concept that we need more love and true Christian forgiveness in the world in order to stop the cycle of violence, and Kanba payed for his sins by dying, yet, I despised the jerk for his selfishness and would have preferred he had a bullet to the head and a burial at sea. Sorry, there are some lines that once crossed, I don't think can be hand-waved away with some magic lights and apples and crap. I guess I'm not ready for the new world just yet...
mitojeeFeb 17, 2013 12:56 PM
Mar 21, 2013 6:10 AM

May 2010
I think this show had the potential to be blow your mind amazing. Like absolutely incredible. I feel it needed to be longer though. More time needed to fully flesh out the characters and story. I get what it was trying to do, and it SO nearly got there. This is definitely a 9/10 for me (possible 10/10.. but if it just kind of pushed a bit more it could've been one of the best.

Still. Had a good cry. Love to soundtrack. Might try watching it again later to see if I can gain a bit more from it.

Waaaah. I wanted this to be incredible. It SO nearly was.
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

219 by basskiller »»
May 18, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 13 Discussion

Yumekichi11 - Oct 10, 2011

48 by basskiller »»
May 17, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.