Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (12) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2011 11:03 PM
Sep 2011
If it's a slice of life, I hope to see something other than moe. Comedy, drama, romance, anything to make twenty hours of girls drinking tea more bearable.
Oct 2, 2011 11:12 PM
Feb 2010
Shit that explodes. If I solely wanted a deep, philosophically challenging, mature, intellectual plot/story, then I wouldn't be taking time off of my book reading to watch shit explode.
Oct 2, 2011 11:22 PM

Jul 2011
Characters with dark past and when they try change to be better person.
And also some comedy moments :D

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Oct 3, 2011 12:09 AM

Jun 2011
Good story, deep characters and usually challenging.

Oct 3, 2011 12:20 AM

Sep 2011
wide variety of deep and interesting characters, plot that combines action, mystery and comedy, good graphics/animation and a basic story that does not suck...
Oct 10, 2011 11:44 AM

Mar 2011
Entertainment, good character designs and good characters. Preferably a good plot too, but I rate the first three things higher.
Oct 10, 2011 2:14 PM
Apr 2011
GOOD story with not so stupid characters, and if the art is good it will be a bonus .
Oct 10, 2011 2:48 PM

Oct 2011
Generally... any little thing can get me started on a series.

However, there are plenty of things that do annoy me, preventing from continuing a series or even bothering to start one.
FroZen109 said:
I look for a good mystery plot with good character development that grows through the series
ilipad said:
The story/plot and the art but tbh, i think the art and characters is what draws me in for the first few episodes, not so much the story D:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Entertainment, good character designs and good characters. Preferably a good plot too, but I rate the first three things higher.
bassa_x said:
GOOD story with not so stupid characters, and if the art is good it will be a bonus .

And for all these things --- you don't necessarily just look within anime for this stuff. Y'can answer the same thing for a Hollywood movie, for example. In the case of Hollywood, they've been lacking in this department.
Oct 10, 2011 2:52 PM

Sep 2011
My dream Anime would have all these elements: Romance, Drama, Psychological, Tragedy, and a little bit of Comedy. (Not to much though)

Overall as long as an Anime has Romance it is fine with me. :)
Oct 10, 2011 2:54 PM

Jun 2009
I looked for good characters in an interesting plot. Preferably it would be horror...however, I will accept anything with good characters and a good plot right now.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Oct 10, 2011 5:01 PM

Jun 2011
Good music, characters and development. Story too, but less than the aforementioned.
Oct 10, 2011 5:34 PM

Jun 2007
One of two groups of things:

A) An interesting premise, an engaging plot that keeps making me want to go to the next episode (suspense, hooks, cliffhangers, etc.), a story with a discrete beginning/middle/end, characters that are well-developed or at least not annoying, and decent animation/music/voice-acting.

Examples: FMA '03, FMA '09, Scrapped Princess, Fafner, Last Exile, Gungrave, Kurau Phantom Memory, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Planetes, Solty Rei, Paranoia Agent, Wolf's Rain, Figure 17, Cowboy Bebop, Spice&Wolf.

B) A premise and setup that lets me know exactly what to expect in terms of plot and character types, "well-developed" characters, hot girls, cute girls, moe, tsunderes, catgirls, high melodrama, zettai ryouiki, fabulous/over-the-top or "what do you mean it's not awesome" action sequences, pantyshots, harems, sudden girlfriend appearance... you get the idea. Actual plot developments and good endings aren't as important, as long as the show hasn't led me to expect them. For instance, if I hear a show described as "Girl who blushes a lot cross-dresses at school to act as a butler for her rich childhood friend, but her secret is discovered by the gynophobic male lead," I know not to expect a real ending.

Examples: Yumeria, Magikano, Girls Bravo, Star Driver, Code Geass, Stray Cats Overrun, Sister Princess, Kanokon, Shuffle!, RahXephon, Softenni, This Ugly yet Beautiful World, UFO Princess Valkyrie, Familiar of Zero, Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Aquarion, and possibly the most perfect crystallization I've seen yet of this type, Infinite Stratos.

And the two categories aren't mutually exclusive, either. Shows like Shana, Gurren Lagann, Vandread, Melody of Oblivion, Index/Railgun, Higurashi, and Touka Gettan have managed to successfully (for me, anyway) blend elements of both categories.

So basically, a show doesn't have to have "high art" aspirations for me to seek it out or like it. Rather, it has to know what it wants to accomplish, and do a good job of executing that purpose, whether that goal is to be srsDEEP/oldfag-ANN-and-ColonyDrop-approved anime or a shameless otaku-pandering fanservice fest.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Oct 10, 2011 5:40 PM

Oct 2011
lisnoire said:
Depth, complexity, creativity, message, engaging characters, a look that appeals to my esthetic. Generally, something directed at a slightly older audience. Drama - Mystery/Thriller - Psychological

This is pretty much the same for me.
Oct 10, 2011 6:47 PM

Nov 2010
well everything clannad, kanon, angel beats, H2o, myself; yourself, gosick, ef's... have in common (yes i'm a guy and i love romance anime's and yes i'm straight)

haha :D
Oct 10, 2011 9:03 PM

Apr 2008
What I look for in an anime are things that go against conventional storytelling within a certain genre (Evangelion w/mecha, Princess Tutu and Madoka Magica w/magical girl, etc). I want a story to present something I haven't seen before. Of course, I wouldn't mind revisiting storytelling tropes that I'm fond of in a series, but that's still not presenting anything new to me. Once I can find at least one unique thing about a series, then that's when I'll start paying attention.

For animation, I don't like looking at artwork that's been Photoshopped to death. The plastic shininess of a lot of new anime is what turns me off from it sometimes (Gundam 00 is the main offender for me). However, anime like Mushishi and 5 Centimeters per Second can prove that you can have animation that is cutting edge yet still evoke some ounce of humanity from it. If it can be like that or look like it's been done in the classic pen-and-ink style, then I'll be happy.

I really don't have any expectations for music unless the composers names are Yoko Kanno, Yuki Kajiura, and Susumu Hirasawa. I use anime soundtracks by composers that are new to me as another vehicle to potentially expand my music collection. If I don't like the music in an anime, I'm usually indifferent to it. I do like to be surprised every once in a while, though, by anime music that is parallel to the kind of non-OST music that I listen to. The early progressive rock-influenced OST to Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo is an example of that.
Oct 10, 2011 10:25 PM

Oct 2011
i look for the realy good storys. i dont realy care for long drawn out series where it takes 2 episodes just to finish a battle or somthing. i mainly look for short and sweet along with a realy good story line. anything like EUREKA SEVEN realy. that show stands at the very top of my fav tv shows.
i look for anything with a good story that keeps you on the edge of your seat
EUREKAvSEVEN.png
Oct 10, 2011 10:50 PM

Sep 2011
Great character developments, amazing story, consistency, and realism
LastExile_613.png
Oct 11, 2011 12:06 AM

Apr 2009
ABSOLUTE ORIGINALITY. That's why I really only like the extremely popular anime. I hate all those ecchi clones..
Oct 11, 2011 1:15 AM

Sep 2011
look for romance first. if i cant find any i want to watch, ill switch to another genre.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Oct 11, 2011 1:28 AM
May 2011
Entertainment. Really, that's all that matters to me. Does it entertain me?
How it entertains me (interesting plot, good humor, whatever) is irrelevant.
Oct 11, 2011 3:57 AM

Jun 2007
rkell48 said:
ABSOLUTE ORIGINALITY. That's why I really only like the extremely popular anime. I hate all those ecchi clones..
So stuff like Naruto and Bleach are "absolutely original"?

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Nov 24, 2011 9:03 AM

Oct 2008
I watch anime because I love the stories and art. All that I can find on the television where I live are reality tv shows and the like.

And, Zalis, I agree. I watch Naruto and Bleach, but they don't have much originality.

Nov 24, 2011 11:18 AM

Apr 2011
It's just so good.
Nov 24, 2011 11:21 AM

Aug 2011
So I can bash it.
Nov 24, 2011 12:43 PM

Oct 2011
I have no clue to be totally honest, but I just keep coming on back. Probably because I'm addicted? that's the best reason I could possibly give.
Nov 24, 2011 2:44 PM

Aug 2011
because mainstream stuff sucks
Nov 24, 2011 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
~Do you watch it because it's fun?
Yup
~Do you watch it because it's your only source of entertainment?
Nop, videogames are still above anime for me :3
~Do you watch it as a hobby?
Yeah, whenever I'm bored I go watch hoping to find an interesting series
Nov 25, 2011 7:41 PM

Oct 2011
Makes me relax and makes you feel like a little kid XD
Nov 25, 2011 8:44 PM
Oct 2010
The same reason why I watch tv shows and read books and etc.
Nov 25, 2011 8:58 PM

Apr 2011
Because it's fun. Why would I do something that I don't enjoy?
Dec 9, 2011 10:47 AM

Nov 2009
To escape reality.
Dec 27, 2011 12:09 PM

Sep 2010
I like anime because it's anime. To be more specific I like anime because it comes from Japan and Japanese animated programs offer a diverse selection of shows that are not found elsewhere.

Dec 27, 2011 12:15 PM

Oct 2011
Umm, escapism from my daily life I guess. Obviously it appeals to me too, as the previous said; it's from Japan and I'm interested in Japanese culture. The vast variety in anime also appeals to me.
Dec 27, 2011 12:35 PM

Jul 2011
Boredom. That's all there is to it.
Dec 27, 2011 12:56 PM

Dec 2011
Because theres stuff that they can't do on a TV show. Easy..
Dec 27, 2011 12:59 PM

Sep 2011
because it's fun has nice designs, alot of anime has better stories and charcter development than most american or european series/films. those are mostly my reasons.
Dec 27, 2011 1:02 PM

Jun 2011
because of its look
and also beacause its like more childish and i like that
Dec 27, 2011 1:04 PM

Sep 2011
It gave me a chance to escape from reality. When I'm watching it, with my earphones plugged in, just focused on the screen, I can forget about all the shit that's going on in my life.
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
Dec 27, 2011 1:17 PM

Jul 2011
Considering that I only like watching cartoons, anime gives me a better selection of genres and stories than Spongebob: Squarepants, Adventure Time, and whatever else shows on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.

I discovered it in the way most people my age did: watching TV (Monster Rancher, Pokemon, Naruto). After that, I found DVDs, then I looked it up online and found out there was a bunch more stuff like it.
Dec 27, 2011 1:22 PM

Mar 2011
It's significantly different from anything that you can find anywhere else and the sheer number of anime out there creates an amazing variety of different styles and stories to be seen. Although I can't really specify the reason why I like it, I just do and I have ever since I was a kid (although I didn't understand the differences between anime and American cartoons at the time).
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Dec 27, 2011 1:25 PM

Aug 2011
I don't know... I just freaking love it. And it gives me something to do when I'm bored.
Dec 27, 2011 1:29 PM

Dec 2011
Because anime is more interesting than movies. Also, almost all the animes have moral behind it and teach something.
Dec 27, 2011 1:50 PM

Jul 2007
Because some of it is enjoyable.
Dec 27, 2011 2:05 PM

Aug 2011
There's no specific reason why, I just like it. I guess I can say I like it because the art is so different from what we see in the US, plus it's foreign so I get pulled in more.

Dec 27, 2011 2:47 PM

Dec 2010
I like 2d more than 3d.
Dec 27, 2011 2:55 PM

Dec 2011
I like the arts, and plots :)
Dec 27, 2011 3:21 PM

Aug 2010
I thought we all watched it because we're masochists.
fuck everything and rumble
Dec 27, 2011 3:34 PM

Dec 2011
I like anime because. Well i guess it was fate that i ended up liking it.
I like anime style more than Western Cartoons and Comics. I am not much of a DC/Marvel fan, ( no offence to DC or Marvel fans out there. But its just not my style.)

Plus

-Anime has broader genres
-More variety via drawing styles and such.
-There is no such anime monopoly, so anyone can get into the field.
-I like japanese language. It feels nice in my ears. lol
- Different cultures are expressed.
-Anything can happen in anime quite literally

Those are my thoughts
Dec 27, 2011 3:42 PM
Oct 2011
as others have said, it's so diverse and the animation quality is generally stunning. i also respecta nd adime all the hard work that has gone into each episode, i find it very immpressive, and always envy the drawing skills and patience of the animators!
i enjoy watching cartoons more than other stuff, especially anime, because they have proper plotlines, well most of them anyway, also, some of them have crazy twists that keep you guessing... before, i just used to watch other cartoons but got into it later on by watching naruto and found a load more, and better XD
for some reason, i find amines much more thought provoking and emotional than most of the live action stuff i've seen, and it has made me more sensitive towards people than i was before, example Clannad, i cried so much at that, but before i would have laughed if someone told me i would cry at something like that!
i also like how imaginative it is, it's so easy to lose yourself in another world that is completely different from our own and experience differnt cultures and stuff through them ^-^
Pages (12) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 4 hours ago

22 by Lucifrost »»
2 minutes ago

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - 7 hours ago

21 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » is it wrong to enjoy an ecchi/isekai animanga? is it wrong to like objectively bad shows?

FruitPunchBaka - Mar 26, 2023

33 by BatoKusanagi »»
5 minutes ago

» How well do your tastes mesh with your friends who also love anime?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

9 by DarkFirefly72 »»
16 minutes ago

» If you could have 1 anime get licenced what would pick?

RareAnimeHunter - Yesterday

9 by Lucifrost »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.