Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Oct 4, 2010 1:11 AM

Aug 2009
Iwasawa had potential to be a great character , but you know.. she's gone now.
Oct 29, 2010 8:26 AM

Jun 2010
The music was great i was really impressed. All in all soundtrack is wonderful combined with a good scenario and picture
Nov 6, 2010 8:02 AM

Apr 2010
Definitely an awesome episode. The Ghibli reference thing is funny.
Nov 7, 2010 1:22 AM

Jan 2009
Castle in the Sky and Howls Moving Castle?
I win!!!

great ep. loved the music!

Nov 14, 2010 5:31 AM
Sep 2009
garfield15 said:
WILL TK VANISH IF HE GETS HIS OWN EPISODE?

We can only hope. That said, I'm starting to appreciate this a bit more.
Nov 23, 2010 1:26 PM
Jul 2010
OrochiPL said:

-WFT!? She dissapeared? Just when she became my favorte character. (屮゚Д゚)屮

The best episode so far, i must say. I'm especially curious about NPCs.

This. Iwasawa seemed like a great character and then she disappears right when she has some development...

I hate that I always end up crying in these kind of scenes. I'm loving to hear about their pasts, first Yuri and now Iwasawa.

Anyway, Tenshi's comment was really interesting. Just as Yuri's conclusion about what they've seen in her room. It makes me wonder about her purpose in all this. I don't think she's villain either.

While reading these comments, I feel like I came to realize what's wrong with this show even though I've only watched 3 episodes so far. Some people complain it should have more comedy because it's good, some hate the comedy of this show and request more drama instead. Some find the concerts boring and unnecessary while some think they make the show a lot better. Some request more action while others think the operations are just stupid. Personally, I hate the comedy but love the drama, music and action. My conclusion is that by trying to mix several genres and appeal to a larger base of viewers, each person gets annoyed by what pleases another one making this anime average in the eyes of most. Personally, I think it's great so far though I didn't like the first episode. But about my final opinion, I still have a lot to watch before I give it.

Zero009 said:
BTW why was Iwasawa's guitar in that "after-life" place? At least I think it was her guitar from when she was still alive and I doubt she would have gotten that angry at the teacher if it wasn't that one. Was there any explanation to this or is it just a plothole?

In episode 2 it was referred that people can make up things (out of nowhere if I got it correct) as long as they have memories of it. So that was indeed her guitar. Or at least a very faithful replica^^
Dec 12, 2010 12:53 PM

Jun 2009
After Yuri’s lackluster background story, Iwasawa’s seemed a lot better, it still didn’t impact me in any way, but it was better presented; her disappearance was too sudden, though, they had barely developed her character and they already “killed” her off, even having prepared a substitute for her place in the ending. I foresee the same future to most of the cast.

The missions are as stupid and meaningless as they were since the beginning. They just discovered the answer to everything: Angel’s not the bad guy of the show! What will they do now that their unjustified reason to battle is no longer valid?

I have the feeling Yui’s going to be Iwasawa’s replacement
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Dec 27, 2010 5:30 PM

Jan 2010
Iwasawa :(
Jan 29, 2011 8:40 AM

Aug 2010
this is the best episode so far....
i really liked Isawa from the start....her singing is beautiful...
so sad she dissappear...
about Angel i guees she's just liek them a human who died...
i don't know why they think she's an angel ar something big...
their operations are really stupid there's nothing big or dangerous at all...
Jan 29, 2011 11:51 AM

Sep 2008
Uh, wow. That episode was a huge step up from the previous two. In terms of drama especially... Maybe not development so much, but it did feel like a pretty important part of the story was revealed -- Angel's not the bad guy? And there is no God?

And maybe disappearing isn't a bad thing, as Yuri makes it out to be.

I liked Iwasawa, her singing, and her backstory... Kinda sad they "killed her off" so quickly. :\ Anyway, at least now I think I can keep watching... since it felt like the story might start moving forward, in this episode.
Feb 17, 2011 11:47 AM

Dec 2010
I have got to say, this anime just has wonderful visuals. The animation is very fluid as well, especially the scenes with the singing. It was like a legit AMV.

So it seems Tenshi is no God, just another person who has to live by the same means as the rest of the characters. The only difference is, she is able to create those abilities, while the rest can only create weapons (albeit slowly too).

It seems to me the abilities are named from musical terms such as harmony and delay.

Interesting anime thus far. Let's see how this series plays out!

Mar 20, 2011 1:51 AM

Aug 2008
I never had imagined a song being so powerful and significant to actually make me burst into tears just by listening to it... Well, I've got proven how shallow minded this attitude had been.

As Iwasawas "My Song" touched my ears and then directly hit my emotions I simply had no other choice than feeling sad and start crying.

It was just like she mentioned in the series when hearing music from "Sad Machine"… The vocals literally make you feel to be in a different world while transferring all those emotions to the heart and soul.

No matter how often I listen to this ballad, the reaction always is the same and it feels really relieving in a certain way. And the fact that I don’t know the meaning of the lyrics at that moment makes its strength even more admirable.
Apr 28, 2011 6:09 PM

Apr 2009
It's improving.
May 15, 2011 7:37 AM

Feb 2011
Iwasawa.... T___T why did u go? I want hear you sing again... D:
May 30, 2011 6:38 PM

May 2011
i love her voice...so sad...i loved this episode
-ILoVelocAlSk8eRbOIs-
Jun 12, 2011 1:57 PM

Aug 2010
LOVED this episode. I loved Iwasawa's passion and love for music. (I'm a guitar player so I loved it even more.)

Jun 25, 2011 1:28 AM

Aug 2010
garfield15 said:
"GET CHANCE AND LUCK!" (This episode did not have enough TK)

-Jeez, I thought everybody would be commenting on the Laputa and Howl's Moving Castle at the beginning of the episode.

-At first, I was like "Oh geez, a stroke? That's kind of lame" then they showed her getting smacked straight in the head with a bottle. Now, I'm not sure if any if you know this but that shit hurts like serious hell. I mean, that could really kill someone (well, it did but you know)

-This is one of the few times I actually really want a CD for a show. Especially for that Alchemy song. I thought that loli Yui girl was just making a FMA reference but then I'm like "Oh it's a song"

-"Call me Christ." Also, the ED was updated by taking out Imasawa and replacing her with Christ so yeah, she's really gone. Does that mean anybody can vanish? WILL TK VANISH IF HE GETS HIS OWN EPISODE? NOOOOOOO!

^ This

Girls Dead Monster RULEZ!!! "Alchemy" and "My Song" were awesome I loved the whole concert scene it was mind blowing (Not even K-ON!) and Iwasawa's seiyuu is amazing

Why does it seem that everytime an anime reference is shown and it's censored I always laugh my ass off? I just can't help it
Jul 11, 2011 8:45 AM

Feb 2011
Her last song was really touching.
Jul 26, 2011 7:12 PM
Feb 2011
Godspeed, Iwasawa. :(
Her facial expressions during the concert were really well rendered, in fact every movement seemed very natural. I usually don't really like concert scenes (mainly because I feel it wastes precious time that could be used for plot), but this one was excellent.
So basically it's gonna be sort of an omnibus anime with one person at the center of each episode? Of course Iwasawa wasn't "important", but they made her a very touching ending. I'm a pretty big sucker for these things, so if the battle against God turns out being secondary and the anime prefers focusing on the stories of those young boys and girls having led painful lives, that'd be fine by me. Would be a bit of a waste not to exploit the full potential of this setting, but yeah.
Jul 27, 2011 9:59 PM

Apr 2011
Hahah laputa & howls moving castle! I laughed when I saw that :P
Sep 23, 2011 4:26 PM

Nov 2009
She's gone D'= awe! well anyway... the knew guy was so funny how he said pie and everyone was effected X'D i love how he also compared her base to castle in the sky the Howls moving castle X3 anyway this epi was great! her story was sad... im so glad my parents dont fight like that... im sad though that the reason she died was cuz if her parents... at least shes happy now ^^
Oct 15, 2011 9:26 PM

Dec 2009
I agree that the episodes are getting better :) . Definitely like the music. Direction of the story isn't clear enough for me to know how I feel about it yet.
Such junk...
Oct 15, 2011 10:27 PM

Sep 2011
Great episode. Best so far for sure. But daaaaannnngggg.... sooooo much better in Japanese. The English version just didn't have as much emotion. Poor Iwasawa.. she had a rough past... but then again so did everyone else. *sigh* Gosh... this series is turning out to be really good.
~Izzy Zazztacular~
Oct 25, 2011 4:06 AM

Feb 2009
Wow, great episode, wasn't expecting that at the end.
Nov 1, 2011 11:48 AM
Jul 2011
I don't know if I should be happy for Iwasawa-san or if I should be angry that she just go away after making me thinking her as my favourite character -____-
Iwasawa-san is my favourite character and she just went away :(
Nov 14, 2011 11:59 AM

Jan 2008
Show has 20 or so characters.
I only care for about three of them.
One of them was Iwasawa. Now she's gone.

God damn it.
Dec 3, 2011 4:56 PM

Jul 2010
windy said:

wonder why he looked sad after this. :< if he disappears too i'm going to cry.

dont say that, he's actually a cool guy. lol

Dec 3, 2011 8:33 PM
Nov 2011
Wow, I really didn't see that coming. Iwasawa was a character was hoping to hear more from. There have been a lot of shows that are commentary on the after life, how many deal with 'unfinished business' being what holds them around in the present life? I can't say that surprised me, but it wasn't fore much in my mind before seeing this episode. Wow. But man if that hacker says to call him that one more time I'm going to reach through the screen and pwn his laptop!

I'm still not sure where this story may be going, but I want to see it through. Man, I'm just hoping they don't lose to many characters like this at least not too fast. yikes.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Dec 5, 2011 9:09 AM
Nov 2011
This episode is one of my favorites of this serie.
I really loved Angel Beats!, but I think that it have too much characters to a short time. There are a lot of wonderful characters who do not have their deserved importance.
The episode is, in my opnion, one of the most beautiful, and Iwasawa's history is really touching. The flashback scene and when she sings "My Song", they all are pretty beautiful scenes!
I wish that more characters had their own moments as Iwasawa, but Angel Beats! remains a masterpiece.
Dec 29, 2011 8:15 PM

Oct 2011
The ending was superb!! Iwasawa-san got reborn, huh? <3
This anime is turning out to be a gem.
The music is brilliant, along with the character development.
Jan 21, 2012 11:42 PM

Feb 2011
I still don't understand this show, though I'm enjoying it like hell!!

So this chick died because she fulfilled her wish?
Apr 10, 2012 2:05 PM

Aug 2011
2nd comment of 2012 xD

Well... i'm falling in love with the story :' )!!! (but not thinking the same about the chara design)

I still don't know the name of the guys but who cares xD
Apr 18, 2012 12:35 PM

Jul 2011
Touchy! and Loved the Music <3

Montrovant1488 said:
I still don't understand this show, though I'm enjoying it like hell!!

So this chick died because she fulfilled her wish?

Were in the Same page xD
Apr 26, 2012 8:18 AM

Apr 2009
Woah I didn't see that coming! Iwasawa gone just like that was a bit of a shocker for me, the fact that she lived a tragic life but she didn't regret it and moved at her own pace was really something and then when she disappeared/erased/died/reborn-whatever was sad.

I instantly recognized the second image, Howl's Moving Castle even though it was heavily blurred, then I sort of connected Laputa: Castle in the Sky several seconds later.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 27, 2012 11:14 PM

Mar 2011
Awww I liked Iwasawa, she was a cool girl. I hope she's in a better place.

LOL @ HMC and CitS references
May 29, 2012 9:59 AM

Jan 2012
The plot is developing nicely. The concert was great. To bad no more Iwasawa.

Jul 18, 2012 12:33 PM

Feb 2012
Wow they even made the effort of replacing the girl in the ED with "Christ" so I'm guessing she passed on...assuming this is purgatory of course.
Aug 4, 2012 4:59 PM
Jul 2012
Woah the concert was fantastic. Dang Iwasawa is gone :( She is my favorite character.
Great episode. 5/5
Aug 5, 2012 12:29 AM

May 2012
Damn, the first person to leave HAS to be the singer.
Aug 29, 2012 10:06 AM

Aug 2012
I lol'd at the Laputa, castle in the sky & Howl's moving castle references:

Also, when, at the end of the briefing, TK said "Get chance and luck!" with some beats starting right after, it reminded me of Get Wild from City Hunter ("Get wild and tough"), at least it sounded similar.

The Volvic reference was fun as well. Reminded me of the Evian (another mineral water bottles trademark) used in the game (Shin Megami Tensei) Devil Survivor 2 on the NDS.

This part made me lol'd so hard ahah

The ending with the disappearance of that girl singer was a bit sad. Didn't really understand why she disappeared just by singing a song about her life.

We learned that Tenshi is using the same system to create her skills as the protagonists use to create weapons... This could lead to an interesting plot twist.

They indeed replaced that girl with Christ-supa-hacka in the ending, meaning she's done for:

HyunckelAug 29, 2012 10:11 AM

Sep 23, 2012 7:23 AM
Sep 2012
The ending to this episode gave me goosebumps. I actually had to move on to something a little more cheeful before watching the next episode. BTW, I was cutting onions when I watched this episode, I swear. Stupid onions.

BTW, did the original voice actor do all the singing for this character?
Oct 5, 2012 8:38 PM

Sep 2012
"Macrosoft Winding XO".....LMAO!
Oct 18, 2012 10:56 PM

Nov 2009
Ruh Roh that can't be good, They just lost their diversions... Wonder if they have a back-up for that, or maybe they will find a good way to fight the angel now that they have figured out that she might just be a normal person (assuming that she is normal because she gains power through the same process they do... Although why they don't do what she is doing I don't know). Also LOVED the references to both Laputa and Howl's moving castle from their respective movies, was thinking Laputa looked familiar then they brought in Howl's moving castle and I was like ZOMG lololol.
Dec 6, 2012 8:45 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
ok i think i get the disappearing condition now. Obey angel, accept fate/fulfillment - reincarnate, Fight angel, - stay in the world of the dead. This episode is providing BIG hint, from my interpretation that Angel is not who decides their fate/make them disappear (erase them) as the gang "initially" thought, since she has to develop her own powers also, not given by God. I guess that explains why the disappearing condition wasn't explained too well (make total sense) cause the gang was NOT SURE themselves, they only ASSUMING LOOOL xD Very interesting!!! BIG hint..... that angel is not as evil and bad as she seems 4/5 ep
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 30, 2012 10:08 PM

Sep 2012
Wow all these girls have such sad memories
RIP Iwasawa :')
kevsterr95Dec 30, 2012 10:21 PM
Jan 3, 2013 5:35 AM

Dec 2012
Aw man! Whose gunna lead the band now (I really liked the band scenes b/c of how smooth the animation was in her singing ^-^)! Well they did replace her with Christ in the ED, sooo I guess he's gunna replace her in the band? XD
Jan 29, 2013 4:10 AM

Sep 2008
Great episode! I really like Iwasawa and too bad she had to go. Her story was so sad T.T but that concert was amazingly well done, imo.
Mar 15, 2013 2:20 AM

Jan 2013
The concert was awesome!

Depressed .... I liked Iwasawa
But still happy for her .... in a way :')

Happy New Life Iwasawa!!
Mar 15, 2013 2:24 AM

Oct 2012
Yashi_Yao said:
The concert was awesome!

Depressed .... I liked Iwasawa
But still happy for her .... in a way :')

Happy New Life Iwasawa!!

Yeah, its kind of nice and kind of sad... :( I think it is in need of a re-watch..

jeesh TY YASHI -.-
Mar 26, 2013 9:57 AM

Sep 2012
Iwasawa disappeared... T_T
That means everyone will disappear too? T_T
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1754 by juleskwi »»
May 27, 6:39 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Apr 2, 2010

677 by copypasterCPS »»
May 13, 11:31 AM

» Explanation

Vapor_AU - Apr 27

17 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
Apr 29, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.