Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2013 4:41 PM

Feb 2013
Zageroth said:
meneliksempai said:
Orulyon said:
Amy should have been more specific like "help us but dont annihilate them okay".

Yeah ... Amy could have been more specific, she just said "save Bellows".

But I think the problem is not that Ledo killed the Pirates, but that He did it with a power that is beyond anything Gargantia can muster in a thousand years.

I agree, i think that the problem is not that he killed them, but rather that he killed them so easily and quickly, they will see him as a dangerous threat as well as a potential ally. After all, he could literally wipe them out in an instant if he wished.

I too think think that they are smart enough not to drive off Red, especially since he can easily leave and go to another fleet, which would then make him their enemy, and they don't want him as an enemy.

Also, the language barrier is a problem. When Red asked what pirates are, and Amy explained, he just summed that up as: enemy. So when he goes into battle, he does to enemies what he would usually do to enemies, I mean Chamber is not called an "Annihilation Weapon" for nothing!

Yet, we can see that Red is not a cold-blooded individual. He can understand diplomacy and does not always use violence as his first answer. In the first episode, he could have easily killed all those people chasing him in the barge, but he knew they were not really threats and so simply avoided them. He took Amy hostage so they wouldn't kill him on site, in an act of self-preservation. But one shot with his “ray-gun” through the heart or the head could have killed instantly, instead he aims for the ground.

Red has what appears to be a soldier mode that he slips into when he fights.This was apparent when in the beginning of episode 1 he’s talking to Chamber about his life and getting leave and so forth, and how he changes when he goes into battle. And you can clearly see the shift as Amy tells him what’s happened and then he goes into Chamber. His eyes go from expressive to dead and he is now in battle mode, where he needs to eradicate the enemy and protect the civilians, that is all.

I love his differentiating system though! He has all enemy ships and individual combatants in red, and all civilian ships and people in blue. I'm really loving Chamber and what he can do!
Apr 10, 2013 4:46 PM
Jan 2011
@ alduren

Seam should be seem.

Sentence: "His hands were slender and he didn't seam so manly"

Change it to: "His hands were slender and he didn't seem so manly"

The seam you used refers to a line in between fabric or other material that was sewn together.
OmnicastApr 10, 2013 6:17 PM
Apr 10, 2013 5:53 PM
Mar 2009
Omnicast said:
@ alduren

Seam should be seem.

Sentence: "His hands were slender and he didn't seam so manly"

Change it to: "His hands were slender and he didn't seem so manly"

The seam you used refers to a line inbetween fabric or other material that was sewn together. "

Dude seriously just typing that message once was enough.
Apr 10, 2013 6:02 PM

Feb 2008
well they wanted to know what his was and to prove it.....that pretty much does it. i wonder how they will react to his overwhelming power?
Apr 10, 2013 6:16 PM
Jan 2011
spectlze said:
Dude seriously just typing that message once was enough.

Sorry about that. My computer froze/stuttered on me right when I clicked the post message button and I had to go out right after. I can't even get it to start anymore. T.T

I got on another computer and deleted the extra posts.
Apr 10, 2013 8:41 PM

Sep 2012
alduren said:
I feel your translation is a bit off, and start to become a new conversation than what is said just to explain the reaction a bit.
I don't know why you feel my translation is a bit off. If anything, I would say "Join" is better than "Participate" because the tone is definitely sounding more like a demand or request. Even though 加入 can mean "participate" too I think "join" is better in the context, and it will also explain the reactions of those people of Gargantia better.

alduren said:

Everything points towards a fleet that consists of multiple ship owners that looks out for their own people and ship. It's very possible they could switch fleets for profit, right?
No objection to that, as this is what I think too.

alduren said:
If you remember, Bellows were offered to join the pirate group since their leader had a high opinion of her.
Chamber sounded like he wanted them to participate in his fleet's alliance, that's what I think got Ridget mad. An intruder suddenly appears and tells you, participate in the alliance. Of course you think about fleet alliances if you never seen anything else but ships your entire life.
That is also what I think too, but how does that makes my translation to be "a bit off"??
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 10, 2013 9:04 PM

Dec 2007
Paper thin plot, but could be neat. Will watch for now
Apr 10, 2013 9:50 PM

Sep 2012
Artorias said:
How paper thin is it? And what is a plot that is not paper-thin if we do not look at some multiple-cour series?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 10, 2013 10:08 PM

Aug 2012
symbv said:
Artorias said:
How paper thin is it? And what is a plot that is not paper-thin if we do not look at some multiple-cour series?

Because every sci-fi series has its plot fully presented and explored after two episodes..
Apr 10, 2013 10:23 PM

Sep 2012
^ And so if it does not, then the plot is "paper thin"?

Actually are we sure that "every sci-fi series" has its plot fully presented and explored after two episodes with no more new revelations or twists in the middle of the series?

Apr 10, 2013 10:24 PM
Aug 2010
Hply crap this show looks promising and this isn't even factoring in yet that this is written by Gen Urobuchi. Next episode now!!!

Oh, and giant tentacled monsters were guaranteed, this is Gen Urobuchi.
Apr 10, 2013 10:36 PM

Dec 2007
symbv said:
Artorias said:

Dude got sucked through a wormhole and was not on course with his ship. 99% guarantee that time travel will come into the story at some point, and he will be conflicted whether to go back or not once he can.

Calling it now, easy to see through. Never said it wouldn't be enjoyable, but the edges you people jump to once someone says something disagreeable is saddening.
Apr 10, 2013 10:48 PM

Sep 2012
Artorias said:
Dude got sucked through a wormhole and was not on course with his ship. 99% guarantee that time travel will come into the story at some point, and he will be conflicted whether to go back or not once he can.
So you are saying because a wormhole is used, time travel will come? And that makes it a paper-thin plot?

Artorias said:
Calling it now, easy to see through. Never said it wouldn't be enjoyable, but the edges you people jump to once someone says something disagreeable is saddening.
More saddening is your failure to explain why the two episodes give "paper-thin plot".

Apr 10, 2013 11:47 PM
Aug 2012
Artorias said:
symbv said:
Artorias said:

The paper-thin plot comment was extremely naive and pretentious, I am glad to see you got called out on it.
Apr 10, 2013 11:52 PM

Jan 2009
lol the pirates are vaporized!!! looking good so far
Apr 10, 2013 11:57 PM

Jun 2009
And to think I was going to pass on this one! I am so glad that I checked this out.

I wouldn't call it a paper-thin plot. There are several directions they can go with this. Will the Alliance show up? With the Hideauze? Will they find land? Will Ledo have a harem? How bad will his PTSD be? Will Chamber run out of juice? Will other factions gang up on Ledo's hosts because the pirates got vaporized?
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Apr 11, 2013 12:28 AM

Aug 2011
Rukia13 said:
And to think I was going to pass on this one! I am so glad that I checked this out.

I wouldn't call it a paper-thin plot. There are several directions they can go with this. Will the Alliance show up? With the Hideauze? Will they find land? Will Ledo have a harem? How bad will his PTSD be? Will Chamber run out of juice? Will other factions gang up on Ledo's hosts because the pirates got vaporized?

This is not a harem anime.. sorry about that :P

try highschool DXD
Apr 11, 2013 12:31 AM
Jan 2011
Artorias said:
symbv said:
Artorias said:

LOL!!! I'm sorry he DID NOT got back in time. His time and the time on earth is still the same as the time in his society. It's a matter of place instead of time.

Rukia13 said:

Mount Everest?

I doubt he'll have a harem... though that'd be nice.

Chamber won't run out of power thanks to the glowing water lighting storm thing. Probably will happen later on though.
Apr 11, 2013 3:01 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Damn, those lasers just turned the pirates into dust o_0!! I'd say that the earthlings are now official 10 out of 10 on the frightened scale.
Apr 11, 2013 4:51 AM
Mar 2012
watch them complain about being saved like that, when they would have gotten raped in a few more minutes, can see the annoyance coming next episode
definitely an interesting anime, would have been better if it went for more than just one season
Apr 11, 2013 5:25 AM

Mar 2011
OP was rather average, nothing memorable.

Looks like the series is actually SoL with occasional battles, I'm enjoying it for what it is.
Apr 11, 2013 5:29 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Shaduge said:
watch them complain about being saved like that, when they would have gotten raped in a few more minutes, can see the annoyance coming next episode
definitely an interesting anime, would have been better if it went for more than just one season

Oh yeah, its def coming. Amy will be there to defend Red though.
Apr 11, 2013 9:12 AM
Apr 2013
symbv said:
alduren said:
I feel your translation is a bit off, and start to become a new conversation than what is said just to explain the reaction a bit.
I don't know why you feel my translation is a bit off. If anything, I would say "Join" is better than "Participate" because the tone is definitely sounding more like a demand or request. Even though 加入 can mean "participate" too I think "join" is better in the context, and it will also explain the reactions of those people of Gargantia better.

alduren said:

Everything points towards a fleet that consists of multiple ship owners that looks out for their own people and ship. It's very possible they could switch fleets for profit, right?

alduren said:
If you remember, Bellows were offered to join the pirate group since their leader had a high opinion of her.
Chamber sounded like he wanted them to participate in his fleet's alliance, that's what I think got Ridget mad. An intruder suddenly appears and tells you, participate in the alliance. Of course you think about fleet alliances if you never seen anything else but ships your entire life.
That is also what I think too, but how does that makes my translation to be "a bit off"??

Because I'm fairly sure you are just changing words to make your own unique translation, at the cost of making it too far from what's being said. There is really no sense in the change for the first part of the sentence, you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example.

About join instead of participate, I would not use that word but I've seen good subs use stranger choices, so I think it's more about taste in this case.
Would not even surprise me if other subbers use different choices like, "be a part of" "join" or something like that. The reason Ridget got upset is still the talk about an alliance who wants them in some way, and the point fits with either choice of words, that's what I think anyhow.
Apr 11, 2013 10:02 AM

Sep 2012
alduren said:
Because I'm fairly sure you are just changing words to make your own unique translation, at the cost of making it too far from what's being said. There is really no sense in the change for the first part of the sentence, you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example.
So your main complaint about my translation is about the first part of the sentence, right? You agree that join is at least as valid as participate, right? (even though you imply that using "join" is strange when you said "but I've seen good subs use stranger choices" which to be honest I find condescending).

For the first part of the sentence, if my translation is off, then I would say that your first translation as "You are human comrade" is just as off if not more. I changed it to "You are compatriot human race" which you said is off and you changed your original translation to "You guys/people are brethren of humanity". However I don't see how my translation is making it too far from what is being said. The first part of the sentence is all about how to translate the word 人類同胞. Comrade is off I think, and from what I see Compatriot and Brethren are both as good as a translation, so what made you say that my translation is "making it too far from what's being said" and I am "just changing words to make [my] own translation"??. Also, both your translation and mine leave out who chamber speaks towards (because the part of the dialogue I translated never touched that part and I never aimed to translate the whole dialogue - my first post was only directed to your translation "You are human comrade. Participate the Alliance" and nothing more, so what is your point of saying "you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example"?

alduren said:
The reason Ridget got upset is still the talk about an alliance who wants them in some way.
I don't think I ever dispute that. And I don't see how my translation does not fit with that.
symbvApr 11, 2013 10:07 AM

Apr 11, 2013 10:11 AM
Feb 2013
symbv said:
alduren said:

alduren said:

alduren said:

Well, it's not *that* important. In general, I think sometimes a strict literal translation isn't always the best, even, but the way you divert from it comes down to taste, I guess. As long as the meaning isn't lost, I don't mind, and often it's only a detail. For instance, whether it's 'human comrades' or 'human brethren', or 'join' or 'participate'; it doesn't make all that much difference, to be honest.

I know you know Japanese too, but let's not get into an endless discussion about minute variations that largely depend on taste, without any being outright wrong or right. That said, symbv, it WAS alduren who made the effort of the translation, so he has the last word on his own translation and in the end I rather have an interpretation that actually is viewable as sub, than an interpretation that is nowhere to be found except as meta-talk in a forum (meritocratic- approach). You could always make the next sub, if you want. :-)

Let's just say both of your versions could be acceptable as translation, but what is considered 'best' is largely up to taste. In which case a discussion about it seems largely useless, and an actual sub is better than a discussion about a sub. ;-)

AnimageNebyApr 11, 2013 10:28 AM
Apr 11, 2013 10:20 AM

Sep 2011
Artorias said:

Before you start calling out on shows just after 2 episodes, I think you need to watch more anime because your lack of knowledge is saddening.
Apr 11, 2013 10:33 AM

Sep 2012
AnimageNeby said:
I know you know Japanese too, but let's not get into an endless discussion about minute variations that largely depend on taste, without any being outright wrong or right. That said, symbv, it WAS alduren who made the effort of the translation, so he has the last word on his own translation and in the end I rather have an interpretation that actually is viewable as sub, than an interpretation that is nowhere to be found except as meta-talk in a forum (meritocratic- approach). You could always make the next sub, if you want. :-)
You sound like I am pushing him to take my translation, which could not be further from the truth. I have no issue with alduren's translation. If he wants to stick with "human comrade" instead of "compatriot human race" I would not push it. But what I sense is that my translation is being belittled when he said my translation is off, and then proceed to comment how my translation "making it too far from what's being said". And since my translation was made in reference to his translation of "You are human comrade. Participate the Alliance" so I don't even know where his saying that "you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example" came from. And regarding "join" vs "participate" again I did not demand he take "join" and I am fine with him using "participate" but I sense condescension when he said "but I've seen good subs use stranger choices" implying my choice to use "join" is strange.

To summarize, I am NOT saying he made incorrect translation and I am NOT demanding him to use my translation in his subtitle. I am just unhappy and puzzled at why I was told that I "change words to make a unique translation" and my translation is off, strange or misguided. His putting in a lot of effort to create a full fansub is great, but that does not entitle him to belittle other's translation (and for goodness sake my translation is just for two simple sentences spoken by a robot - what if I had translated more?)

AnimageNeby said:
Let's just say both of your versions could be acceptable as translation, but what is considered 'best' is largely up to taste. In which case a discussion about it seems largely useless, and an actual sub is better than a discussion about a sub. ;-)
But that is clearly not what alduren seems to be saying. For some reason he is saying my translation is inferior, which really jars and puzzles me in equal measure.
symbvApr 11, 2013 10:47 AM

Apr 11, 2013 10:49 AM
Oct 2012
Artorias said:
symbv said:
Artorias said:

You really need to read more science fiction if you think that wormhole travel requires time travel.

Also, please pay attention. Episode 2 already revealed that he did not go back in time. The space humans left because of the ice age, Amy already has revealed that the ice had melted long ago and that her people were the remnants of those who didn't leave. They are temporally concurrent. The only "time travel" Ledo did was through cryogenics - the six months of "life" he lost while Chamber repaired him.

As for edges: I think nearly everyone would dislike a person who "upon a tete-a-tete insist" and then state a negative opinion without even bothering to justify their opinion. There is a word for such people: bores. (there is a more graphic word as well: a$$holes), which is why "none of them be missed. I am sure they won't be missed".
Apr 11, 2013 10:52 AM
Feb 2013
symbv said:
AnimageNeby said:
You sound that I am pushing him to take my translation, which could not be further from the truth. I have no issue with alduren's translation. If he wants to stick with "human comrade" instead of "compatriot human race" I would not push it. But what I sense is that my translation is being belittled when he said my translation is off, and then proceed to comment how my translation "making it too far from what's being said". And since my translation was made in reference to his translation of "You are human comrade. Participate the Alliance" so I don't even know where his saying that "you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example" came from. And regarding "join" vs "participate" again I did not demand he take "join" and I am fine with him using "participate" but I sense condescension when he said "but I've seen good subs use stranger choices" implying my choice to use "join" is strange.

To summarize, I am NOT saying he made incorrect translation and I am NOT demanding him to use my translation in his subtitle. I am just unhappy and puzzled at why I was told that I "change words to make a unique translation" and my translation is off, strange, incomplete or misguided.

AnimageNeby said:
But that is clearly not what alduren seems to be saying. For some reason he is saying my translation is inferior, which really jars and puzzles me in equal measure.

Well, I wouldn't really sweat it. Things are easily misunderstood or given an importance that it might not have.

For instance, when I was posting my thoughts on the YSS you suddenly said: "So you've found it yourself after all? Congratulations!". I was fairly pissed too, because that sounded sarcastic at best, and condescending at worst. It irked me the wrong way too, and it even does now to some degree, because I can't lose the impression you did mean it in that way, even when you've said afterwards that was not your intention.

But then I had something of: ah, well, it's not all that important, let it pass. And so I didn't continue to make a fuss about it. After all, so I reckoned, it's difficult enough to have a sensible discussion on the forum already, with all the many nitwits around who can't express or even think about a scene or series coherently.

My point is: sometimes, it's just better to be tolerant and keep it amiable and light, even if one has some slight misgivings what someone said at a given point.
AnimageNebyApr 11, 2013 10:57 AM
Apr 11, 2013 10:59 AM

Apr 2013
I like that they aren't making this anime into a generic Earth vs. aliens thing. Instead, they are using the sci-fi aspects as a medium for character development. I am hooked on this now.
Apr 11, 2013 11:01 AM

Sep 2012
AnimageNeby said:
My point is: sometimes, it's just better to be tolerant and keep it amiable and light, even if one has some slight misgivings what someone said at a given point.
If you had said that at the beginning I would have felt much better, but instead your post pointed the finger against me as if I was the guy who is being unreasonable and fussy. If you want such fussiness to stop, why not make a post to address alduren instead of posting again to address me, this time asking me to just take it easy after all?

And your post saddened me because it seems to me you are posting without reading the posts closely (reminding me of the time when you refused to believe that I quoted from several posts not just one post of yours in that Shinsekai Yori thread). And then when I pointed out your misunderstanding, you just switched your point to talking about being "tolerant" while saying nothing about your initial accusation which could have hurt the person on the receiving side.
symbvApr 11, 2013 11:20 AM

Apr 11, 2013 11:11 AM
Feb 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Artorias said:
symbv said:
Artorias said:

You really need to read more science fiction if you think that wormhole travel requires time travel.

Also, please pay attention. Episode 2 already revealed that he did not go back in time. The space humans left because of the ice age, Amy already has revealed that the ice had melted long ago and that her people were the remnants of those who didn't leave. They are temporally concurrent. The only "time travel" Ledo did was through cryogenics - the six months of "life" he lost while Chamber repaired him.

As for edges: I think nearly everyone would dislike a person who "upon a tete-a-tete insist" and then state a negative opinion without even bothering to justify their opinion. There is a word for such people: bores. (there is a more graphic word as well: a$$holes), which is why "none of them be missed. I am sure they won't be missed".

Well... while I don't agree with the 'paper thin plot' - for the simple reason it's much too early to say, and the premise looks interesting, in any case, so it has potential for a great plot, one should be wary to make final conclusions that aren't substantiated.

It's true that we know for sure he was 'displaced' in space; he's gone to a totally different area of the Galaxy. That, however, does not mean on itself that he *also* can't be displaced in time, in another era. Yes, the glaciers melted, so he did not return to a time before that happened: of that, we can be sure. But one can reasonably assume a long period is possible to return to, and still being put hundreds of years back. It can still be a far-away past in regard to when he had his fight (or even the future, in fact). There is currently no strong indication of that, but it still is a definite possibility.

And maybe there are some slight implied scenes that *might* indicate this: for instance; he's been sending out a signal, presumably for six months, without any reaction of the Alliance. One would think this strange, unless there was no Alliance. His AI, while being able to immediately recognise through sky-observations that it was Earth, seems to have extra-ordinary difficulty in pinpointing it any further, even after a far longer nightly observation of the stars. Is that only due to the atmosphere...or could it be he has extra difficulty, because the positions of these stars have changed (because of the time-gap)?

It's worth thinking about it.
Apr 11, 2013 11:17 AM
Apr 2013
symbv said:
alduren said:
So your main complaint about my translation is about the first part of the sentence, right? You agree that join is at least as valid as participate, right? (even though you imply that using "join" is strange when you said "but I've seen good subs use stranger choices" which to be honest I find condescending).

For the first part of the sentence, if my translation is off, then I would say that your first translation as "You are human comrade" is just as off if not more. I changed it to "You are compatriot human race" which you said is off and you changed your original translation to "You guys/people are brethren of humanity". However I don't see how my translation is making it too far from what is being said. The first part of the sentence is all about how to translate the word 人類同胞. Comrade is off I think, and from what I see Compatriot and Brethren are both as good as a translation, so what made you say that my translation is "making it too far from what's being said" and I am "just changing words to make [my] own translation"??. Also, both your translation and mine leave out who chamber speaks towards (because the part of the dialogue I translated never touched that part and I never aimed to translate the whole dialogue - my first post was only directed to your translation "You are human comrade. Participate the Alliance" and nothing more, so what is your point of saying "you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example"?

alduren said:
The reason Ridget got upset is still the talk about an alliance who wants them in some way.
I don't think I ever dispute that. And I don't see how my translation does not fit with that.

You are aware that the first translation I did was changed, but you still bring the old translation up, just to find something wrong. Well played, sir.

And to be honest, I prefer my old translation that seems more simple and also have a much better feeling as a crowd addressing sentence, since chamber did address the crowd.

Your sentence does not flow or fit what's being said more than my oldest translation, and my newest translation beats it by a lot. It's not a matter of taste, it's just your use of words that are not correct. As to join or participate, yea that's fine either way when you sub as that's just a matter of how you want to phrase it.

But compatriot I have actually seen one time before, and I remember it being more like doukoku and not douhou. Maybe someone japanese can confirm this, but I think they are two totally different words and meanings, just like they are in English, since compatriot is lesser and brethren is broader, right?
Like I said before i'm not a native english or japanese speaker, but I strongly feel that compatriot human race is off even if we don't count the crowd addressing matter.
Apr 11, 2013 11:27 AM
Oct 2012
AnimageNeby said:
Well... while I don't agree with the 'paper thin plot' - for the simple reason it's much too early to say, and the premise looks interesting, in any case, so it has potential for a great plot, one should be wary to make final conclusions that aren't substantiated.

It's true that we know for sure he was 'displaced' in space; he's gone to a totally different area of the Galaxy. That, however, does not mean on itself that he *also* can't be displaced in time, in another era. Yes, the glaciers melted, so he did not return to a time before that happened: of that, we can be sure. But one can reasonably assume a long period is possible to return to, and still being put hundreds of years back. It can still be a far-away past in regard to when he had his fight (or even the future, in fact). There is currently no strong indication of that, but it still is a definite possibility.

And maybe there are some slight implied scenes that *might* indicate this: for instance; he's been sending out a signal, presumably for six months, without any reaction of the Alliance. One would think this strange, unless there was no Alliance. His AI, while being able to immediately recognise through sky-observations that it was Earth, seems to have extra-ordinary difficulty in pinpointing it any further, even after a far longer nightly observation of the stars. Is that only due to the atmosphere...or could it be he has extra difficulty, because the positions of these stars have changed (because of the time-gap)?

It's worth thinking about it.

It could be possible, but so could a lot of things. All we have to go on is what we have been shown so far. And as you pointed out there is no "strong indication" of time travel, while there is "strong" indication that there wasn't time travel. So it is the more likely theory. Could be wrong, but and we will find out, however this doesn't change my original point where Artorias said "wormhole = time travel". That the Alliance used wormholes to attack alien positions strongly suggests otherwise - if time shifted with travel, then by the time they showed up the aliens could have easily have moved positions, their "surprise" attack being impossible. This shows that with normal use wormholes shift space, not time. What happened to Ledo wasn't that the wormhole acted abnormally, but rather that because he didn't follow the exact course of the ship, he was displaced to elsewhere, not whenwhere.

Your point about star shifts is a good one. However, without a single fixed location, pinpointing even known space would be difficult because one would have a reference to know which stars had moved or hadn't. The alliance not responding can easiest be answered by sheet distances. There is no indication that he has FTL communication functionality, and even if he did, six months is not a long time given the vastness of this universe. Even at light speed you wouldn't be 1/8 the way to the nearest star. Even a message traveling at 100 times the speed of light wouldn't cover but the tinniest sliver of the known universe.

The AI only recognized earth because he had records of earth (in the first episode he was speculating that they were on Earth when Ledo was running through the rig). The image the showed when he matched the system was a planetary map, not a stellar map.

But I agree it is worth thinking about, deepens the appreciation of the show. What it isn't worth doing though is to claim that this shows a "paper thin plot" as the previous poster did and then use the explanation he did to justify it.

is possible, however I highly doubt it. Hundreds of years would be enough time for certain stars to have moved, and
Apr 11, 2013 11:29 AM

Sep 2012
alduren said:
You are aware that the first translation I did was changed, but you still bring the old translation up, just to find something wrong. Well played, sir
The reason why I brought it up is because my translation was made only in reply to your first translation, nothing more.

alduren said:
And to be honest, I prefer my old translation that seems more simple and also have a much better feeling as a crowd addressing sentence, since chamber did address the crowd.
How does the word 'comrade" give a better feeling than "compatriot" or "brethren"? Why is it simpler? Besides, the word "comrade" does not really convey the exact meaning of 同胞.

alduren said:
Your sentence does not flow or fit what's being said more than my oldest translation, and my newest translation beats it by a lot. It's not a matter of taste, it's just your use of words that are not correct.
In what way, may I ask? You keep repeating that my translation is off and incorrect but you never explain why it is so. At least not until now.

alduren said:
But compatriot I have actually seen one time before, and I remember it being more like doukoku and not douhou. Maybe someone japanese can confirm this, but I think they are two totally different words and meanings, just like they are in English, since compatriot is lesser and brethren is broader, right?
You can check a Japanese-English dictionary, 同胞 can be translated as brethren as well as compatriot. And this word has been translated as such in newspapers and magazines. Compatriot can be used to mean people coming from the same place, which fits in with what Chamber wants to convey to those people of Gargantia. I do not understand how you could assert that my translation is incorrect.
symbvApr 11, 2013 11:34 AM

Apr 11, 2013 11:30 AM
Oct 2012
alduren said:
Like I said before i'm not a native english or japanese speaker, but I strongly feel that compatriot human race is off even if we don't count the crowd addressing matter.

If I may interject, Symbv, I think you are missing this point. Neither of you are native English or Japanese speakers, so Alduren wasn't knocking your English. I think he meant he liked his translation better than yours. Which is a personal thing.

However speaking AS a native English speaker with some knowledge of Japanese, let me compliment both of you on the excellence of both English and Japanese. I wish most native speakers had your level of competency.
Apr 11, 2013 11:33 AM
Feb 2013
symbv said:
AnimageNeby said:
If you had said that at the beginning I would have felt much better, but instead your post pointed the finger against me as if I was the guy who is being unreasonable and fussy. If you want such fussiness to stop, why not make a post to address alduren instead of posting again to address me, this time asking me to just take it easy after all?

And your post saddened me because it seems to me you are posting without reading the posts closely (reminding me of the time when you refused to believe that I quoted from several posts not just one post of yours in that Shinsekai Yori thread).

Well, it could be it saddens you, but the underlying message I'm trying to give you here is: even if you didn't mean it that way, have you considered that it may come off differently? It's not a matter of me blaming you or him, it's just a matter of consideration to how things can be perceived. You perceive mine and his in a certain way, but surely you understand the reverse is true too.

For instance, did you consider the possibility that your comments to Alduren might be considered as unduly criticism and slightly belittling to him, when you tried to 'improve' his translation?

I'm not saying it is or isn't, because I can't speak for Alduren, but it's just something you must be aware of. We all have our ego's, and the smarter/intelligent guys usually even have more of it. ;-)

Also, since it's a matter of taste - while one could say all translations conform the dictionary are valid - the fact of the matter remains that the personal appreciation of certain translations may differ. So Alduren might be right (and you too in reverse, for that matter) if he thinks your translation is less good or more strange, because in his personal opinion, it feels (aka: taste) that way. Just like you think 'join' is a little bit better than 'participate'. If you didn't, you wouldn't have suggested it, I presume. Right?

I think you're being to sensitive on this topic. If I had been so sensitive, we would have had a very heated discussion or even rant in SSY about your post. And frankly, I know your explanation for it, and while I think it is *possible*, I still think it's rather unlikely. Yes, you were answering different posts, but you answered each paragraph consecutively in your own post. Each of those paragraphs were written under eachother, in one and the same post of mine. How could you possibly have missed my conclusion, if you read my post? It was not like you were answering *other* posts in between the paragraphs that you quoted and answered from me, after all. And if you didn't miss it, it certainly has all the hallmarks of being sarcastic/condescending, since it implies that it's very surprising I would come to the right conclusion myself, and that on itself was worthy of appraisal from you. And that, after you wrote exactly the same thing on the first paragraph, that I wrote in my conclusion, so that would make it double sarcastic.

Hm, well, doesn't matter. My point was it's sometimes better to let it slide, but I'm not giving a good example by continuing to ramble on about it. :-)

In any case, when feeling irked by something that was said, it's always a good idea to look at the possible causes for it, and maybe ones' own posts have something to do with it. That goes for me, you, and Alduren (and everyone, in fact, but the less intelligent don't even bother to check their own writings).
AnimageNebyApr 11, 2013 11:44 AM
Apr 11, 2013 11:41 AM
Feb 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
alduren said:

If I may interject, Symbv, I think you are missing this point. Neither of you are native English or Japanese speakers, so Alduren wasn't knocking your English. I think he meant he liked his translation better than yours. Which is a personal thing.

However speaking AS a native English speaker with some knowledge of Japanese, let me compliment both of you on the excellence of both English and Japanese. I wish most native speakers had your level of competency.

Hey, where is my praise? I'm not a native English speaker neither!

;-)
Apr 11, 2013 11:48 AM

Sep 2012
AnimageNeby said:
For instance, did you consider the possibility that your comments to Alduren might be considered as unduly criticism and slightly belittling to him, when you tried to 'improve' his translation?
Well, if this is the case, alduren should have said so (like I do now) and we could all have come clear on it. Instead he proceeded to come back at me with disproportionately more belittlement with words like "off" "not correct" "strange". Did I use those words in my first post?

AnimageNeby said:
Also, since it's a matter of taste - while one could say all translations conform the dictionary are valid - the fact of the matter remains that the personal appreciation of certain translations may differ. So Alduren might be right (and you too in reverse, for that matter) if he thinks your translation is less good or more strange, because in his personal opinion, it feels (aka: taste) that way. Just like you think 'join' is a little bit better than 'participate'. If you didn't, you wouldn't have suggested it, I presume. Right?
Well, I suggest you read really close and compare what I wrote and what he wrote. I said I am fine with both translations despite my preference of my translation. It was him who are using words like "off" "strange" "not correct" against my translation. He even said it is not a matter of taste, so your very first statement that "since it's a matter of taste" is already invalid in his view. Now why you still come after me on the matter?

AnimageNeby said:
. How could you possibly have missed my conclusion, if you read my post? It was not like you were answering *other* posts in between the paragraphs that you quoted and answered from me, after all. And if you didn't miss it, it certainly has all the hallmarks of being sarcastic/condescending, since it implies that it's very surprising I would come to the right conclusion myself, and that on itself was worthy of appraisal from you. And that, after you wrote exactly the same thing on the first paragraph, that I wrote in my conclusion, so that would make it double sarcastic.
OK, if you want to go back to that old incident, let's lay it all out in open here. The fact is I made my reply to your several posts one by one without reading them all -- I read your posts in chronological order; read one post then wrote a reply, read another and then wrote more, and so on . And only at the last moment I saw your conclusion. I got a feeling that perhaps you would point out that I missed your conclusion if I did not address that, so I wrote that part as a light-hearted statement that I was happy that you and I seemed to reach a similar conclusion after all. However, I did not bother changing the part I already wrote in reply to your earlier posts. I did not know you would be so upset by that light-hearted statement. On the other hand, I am pretty pissed when you said I only quoted from one post of yours not several posts as it seems you did not really check the text I quoted from your posts and just assumed I must have meant ill in the whole thing.
symbvApr 11, 2013 11:55 AM

Apr 11, 2013 11:52 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
This is fine, but I am pretty upset by his choice of words to express his preference of his translation -- why use words like "off" "strange" "not correct" "beat [your translation] by a lot" just to say he prefers his translation? Why there is a need to belittle another person's translation in order to show his preference for his own translation? I prefer my own translation but I did not, and would not, want to use those words to highlight my preference.

Apr 11, 2013 12:02 PM
Apr 2013
symbv said:
alduren said:
You are aware that the first translation I did was changed, but you still bring the old translation up, just to find something wrong. Well played, sir
The reason why I brought it up is because my translation was made only in reply to your first translation, nothing more.

alduren said:
How does the word 'comrade" give a better feeling than "compatriot" or "brethren"? Why is it simpler? Besides, the word "comrade" does not really convey the exact meaning of 同胞.

alduren said:
Your sentence does not flow or fit what's being said more than my oldest translation, and my newest translation beats it by a lot. It's not a matter of taste, it's just your use of words that are not correct.
In what way, may I ask? You keep repeating that my translation is off and incorrect but you never explain why it is so. At least not until now.

alduren said:
You can check a Japanese-English dictionary, 同胞 can be translated as brethren as well as compatriot. And this word has been translated as such in newspapers and magazines. I do not understand how you could assert that my translation is incorrect.

Well, I meant I prefer my oldest translation compared to your new.
My newest translation is good and I would use that one before the other.

Again, I must say that brethren holds a broader meaning vs compatriot, and that they would probably phrase it differently if they intended to use compatriot. The compatriot you are thinking of must be something like, our countrymen?
That's doukoku min ?(don't know the correct japanese but that's how it sounds)
I have only seen the use of that as countrymen, fellow countrymen etc. And frequently too, in horriblesubs and gg and commie I think, I can double check if you don't know what i'm talking about :p

Anyhow that's another word, even if they are related, and they mean different things.
douhou is broad.
Compatriot is referring to countrymen or colleague / equals with the same work line or place, right? I'm fairly sure it's pronounced in another way.

And last, with addressing I meant the use of kikunra in the start.
He is addressing them as you people - something I assumed includes itself by the use of comrades, as comrades are are type friend/people extension, your sentence is regardless of right or wrong very stiff and does not include the use of kikunra.

So I guess all in all.
The reasons I feel your translation is off a bit ( and I mean a bit, not super much).
Is 1) No feeling of using the pronoun of kikunra
2) using compatriot human race (Lesser meaning than brethren, different japanese pronunciation.)

Hope that settles why I said your translation was a bit off.

And tbh, that was a really funny excuse to bring up old translation, since you original reply was done to/vs it?
Does that matter when i changed it already, and you made 2 replies after i already changed it, and you are well aware of the fact we were now talking about an updated translation I made? No need to answer, we both know you had to look way back to have anything to complain against.
Apr 11, 2013 12:13 PM
Apr 2013
symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:
This is fine, but I am pretty upset by his choice of words to express his preference of his translation -- why use words like "off" "strange" "not correct" "beat [your translation] by a lot" just to say he prefers his translation? Why there is a need to belittle another person's translation in order to show his preference for his own translation? I prefer my own translation but I did not, and would not, want to use those words to highlight my preference.
symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:

First time, I used the term off to explain the 2 points mentioned earlier, I should have been more specific. Later on you were very rude to bring up old translation I already changed, and my response was a reply to that.

And tbh I never looked down on you or anyone here. I just feel that when comparing translations one is better than the other( and I'm saying that from a neutral point, no feeling intended now.), even if you as a person or your next translation may be better than mine/me.
On nyaa for example, people made comments on my errors and I accepted and thank them, and others made suggestions about changes, and I made polite replies to them too.

Your translation was the only one on all sites I'm active at that I had a problem with so far, and I really meant it as someone who likes to translate, not intending to look down on you.
Apr 11, 2013 12:19 PM

Apr 2010
Interesting episode. I wonder how things will develop starting from now. I like the idea of the language barrier.
Apr 11, 2013 12:23 PM

Sep 2012
alduren said:
I never ask you not to.

alduren said:
Again, I must say that brethren holds a broader meaning vs compatriot, and that they would probably phrase it differently if they intended to use compatriot. The compatriot you are thinking of must be something like, our countrymen?
Not necessarily, as I said, compatriot can mean people coming from the same place.

alduren said:
I have only seen the use of that as countrymen, fellow countrymen etc. And frequently too, in horriblesubs and gg and commie I think, I can double check if you don't know what i'm talking about :p
As I said why not check a Japanese-English dictionary and see what word can 同胞 be translated to? Also in Japanese media, even "fellow countrymen" is seldom written as 同国 but phrases like 我国同胞 instead. And the word 同胞 has a couple of ways for translation, brethren and compatriot are just two of the possibilities. I do not care how other English subs translate, I speak from my experience reading Japanese newspapers, books and magazines over the years when I was living in Japan.

alduren said:

Compatriot is referring to countrymen or colleague / equals with the same work line or place, right? I'm fairly sure it's pronounced in another way.
As I said, compatriot can mean people coming from the same place too.

alduren said:
He is addressing them as you people - something I assumed includes itself by the use of comrades, as comrades are are type friend/people extension, your sentence is regardless of right or wrong very stiff and does not include the use of kikunra.
Kikunra 貴君ら is just a way to address a second-person with a slight respectful politeness level. It does not convey any sense of "brother in arms" like in "comrades". It is used more as a kind of formal address, which befits the situation where Chamber found itself in.

alduren said:

So I guess all in all.
The reasons I feel your translation is off a bit ( and I mean a bit, not super much).
2) using compatriot human race (Lesser meaning than brethren, different japanese pronunciation.)
And I have explained.
1) Kikunra is not really how you interpreted (as comrades)
2) 同胞 definitely can be translated as compatriot and the word compatriot has meaning that fits in the context of the conversation.

alduren said:
and tbh, that was a really funny excuse to bring up old translation, since you original reply was done to/vs it?
Does that matter when i changed it already, and you made 2 replies after i already changed it, and you are well aware of the fact we were now talking about an updated translation I made? No need to answer, we both know you had to look way back to have anything to complain against.
I don't know what you mean by "you original reply was done to/vs it" so even if I want to reply I can't reply. Anyway, I can clarify again what I mean: You were saying my translation did not include the part addressing the commander and I brought up your first translation because that translation did not include it either.

Anyway I am not happy you used "a really funny excuse" to describe my explanation as I sense a strong desire to mock and dismiss.

Apr 11, 2013 12:30 PM

Sep 2012
alduren said:
First time, I used the term off to explain the 2 points mentioned earlier, I should have been more specific. Later on you were very rude to bring up old translation I already changed, and my response was a reply to that.
Rude? I found you rude when you said "you are just changing words to make your own unique translation, at the cost of making it too far from what's being said. There is really no sense in the change for the first part of the sentence, you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example." The tone of these few sentences is already dismissive as you said I am just "changing words" and I am "making it too far" (so not a little bit as you are now claiming) so there is "no sense in the change" and that I left out some stuff too. These are all before I brought up your first translation. Rude? Says who?

alduren said:

Your translation was the only one on all sites I'm active at that I had a problem with so far, and I really meant it as someone who likes to translate, not intending to look down on you.
I don't know what "all sites" you are active in and how many Japanese to English translations you have checked, but you are saying it as if my translation is a particularly problematic case, and I cannot help being deeply skeptical about this kind of view.

Apr 11, 2013 12:31 PM
Feb 2013
symbv said:
AnimageNeby said:
Well, if this is the case, alduren should have said so (like I do now) and we could all have come clear on it. Instead he proceeded to come back at me with disproportionately more belittlement with words like "off" "not correct" "strange". Did I use those words in my first post?

AnimageNeby said:
Well, I suggest you read really close and compare what I wrote and what he wrote. I said I am fine with both translations despite my preference of my translation. It was him who are using words like "off" "strange" "not correct" against my translation. He even said it is not a matter of taste, so your very first statement that "since it's a matter of taste" is already invalid in his view. Now why you still come after me on the matter?

AnimageNeby said:
. How could you possibly have missed my conclusion, if you read my post? It was not like you were answering *other* posts in between the paragraphs that you quoted and answered from me, after all. And if you didn't miss it, it certainly has all the hallmarks of being sarcastic/condescending, since it implies that it's very surprising I would come to the right conclusion myself, and that on itself was worthy of appraisal from you. And that, after you wrote exactly the same thing on the first paragraph, that I wrote in my conclusion, so that would make it double sarcastic.
OK, if you want to go back to that old incident, let's lay it all out in open here. The fact is I made my reply to your several posts one by one without reading them all -- I read your posts in chronological order; read one post then wrote a reply, read another and then wrote more, and so on . And only at the last moment I saw your conclusion. I got a feeling that perhaps you would point out that I missed your conclusion if I did not address that, so I wrote that part as a light-hearted statement that I was happy that you and I seemed to reach a similar conclusion after all. However, I did not bother changing the part I already wrote in reply to your earlier posts. I did not know you would be so upset by that light-hearted statement. On the other hand, I am pretty pissed when you said I only quoted from one post of yours not several posts as it seems you did not really check the text I quoted from your posts and just assumed I must have meant ill in the whole thing.

? That doesn't make much sense. You didn't quote or answered other posts between the quotes of my post.

Wait...are we thinking about the same thing when using the term 'post'? For me, a post is the whole 'page', not a paragraph. Do you mean you read it only paragraph-by-paragraph, and not the whole post? That's what I find a bit unlikely: normally, one would read the whole post (aka page) at once, before answering, wouldn't one?

But you know, it's possible you were a bit confused and busy with other posts: shit happens. Like I said, I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it. I just brought it up as an example of how things work both ways, and misunderstandings are easily made. You say it was meant light-heartedly: fine for me. I'm not one to hold long grudges. Long meaning more than 5-6 years. ;-)

j/k

But in any case, the whole translation thread here continues to keep expanding, while I originally had the opposite in mind, at least concerning the hurt ego's and all that. I would suggest continuing as objectively and factually as possible, but in the end, where it's a matter of taste, one might always find ones' own interpretation a bit better than that of the other one.

And not to take sides here, and I'm not saying the literal translation to it is faulty, but I find the sentence 'compatriot human race' a bit awkward too. I think it sounds better as human comrades or even brethern (sounds a bit 'clergy'/sectarian though...would that simply be 'brothers', or the solemn referral to the members of a profession/society/sect?).

Of course; the awkwardness might be what was intended, for chambers 'machine translation', so it might still fit in the context that it was used, but if it was a human saying it in normal talk, I definitely wouldn't use it.
Apr 11, 2013 12:44 PM

Sep 2012
AnimageNeby said:
? That doesn't make much sense. You didn't quote or answered other posts between the quotes of my post.

Wait...are we thinking about the same thing when using the term 'post'? For me, a post is the whole 'page', not a paragraph. Do you mean you read it only paragraph-by-paragraph, and not the whole post? That's what I find a bit unlikely: normally, one would read the whole post (aka page) at once, before answering, wouldn't one?
OK, I know sometimes we have different definitions of certain words (like "accepting" the Sybil system in Psycho-Pass where your definition still puzzles me). And here I am not sure what you mean by "post" is the whole "page". Take this post for example - it is on Page 16 but is Post #301, so to me a post is not the "whole page". Anyway, just let me clarify even more:

You posted 4 posts before I came to that thread
I read your first post, wrote something on my reply post (there is always just one reply post)
I read your second post, wrote something more in that same reply post
I read your third post, I forgot whether I wrote anything, probably not
I read your last post, which had your conclusion, and I wrote the final light-hearted comment
I did not make changes to things I had already written and I submitted the post

Clear? Or still incredulous?

AnimageNeby said:

And not to take sides here, and I'm not saying the literal translation to it is faulty, but I find the sentence 'compatriot human race' a bit awkward too. I think it sounds better as human comrades or even brethern (sounds a bit 'clergy'/sectarian though...would that simply be 'brothers', or the solemn referral to the members of a profession/society/sect?).

Of course; the awkwardness might be what was intended, for chambers 'machine translation', so it might still fit in the context that it was used, but if it was a human saying it in normal talk, I definitely wouldn't use it.
I can accept a comment saying it sounds awkward, but I am unhappy to be told that it is off, incorrect, wrong or much inferior. Comrades may sound better, but translating 同胞 as comrades changes the meaning subtly - here Chamber used 同胞 to appeal to the Gargantia crew their common origin as human race. Brethren and Compatriot fit that meaning; Comrades sound like an appeal to commonness in cause or belief.

Actually come to think of it, I guess "fellow human" or "fellow human race" would be good if "compatriot" sounds awkward (though not incorrect I must stress)
symbvApr 11, 2013 12:53 PM

Apr 11, 2013 12:55 PM
Apr 2013
symbv said:
alduren said:
I never ask you not to.

alduren said:
Not necessarily, as I said, compatriot can mean people coming from the same place.

alduren said:
As I said why not check a Japanese-English dictionary and see what word can 同胞 be translated to? Also in Japanese media, even "fellow countrymen" is seldom written as 同国 but phrases like 我国同胞 instead. And the word 同胞 has a couple of ways for translation, brethren and compatriot are just two of the possibilities. I do not care how other English subs translate, I speak from my experience reading Japanese newspapers, books and magazines over the years when I was living in Japan.

alduren said:

As I said, compatriot can mean people coming from the same place too.

alduren said:
Kikunra 貴君ら is just a way to address a second-person with a slight respectful politeness level. It does not convey any sense of "brother in arms" like in "comrades". It is used more as a kind of formal address, which befits the situation where Chamber found itself in.

alduren said:

So I guess all in all.
And I have explained.
1) Kikunra is not really how you interpreted (as comrades)
2) 同胞 definitely can be translated as compatriot and the word compatriot has meaning that fits in the context of the conversation.

alduren said:
and tbh, that was a really funny excuse to bring up old translation, since you original reply was done to/vs it?
I don't know what you mean by "you original reply was done to/vs it" so even if I want to reply I can't reply. Anyway, I can clarify again what I mean: You were saying my translation did not include the part addressing the commander and I brought up your first translation because that translation did not include it either.

Anyway I am not happy you used "a really funny excuse" to describe my explanation as I sense a strong desire to mock and dismiss.

You bring up old translation I already changed in response to your earlier replies.
And keep on repeating old stuff to have anything to find wrong at all.
And keep on bringing it up post after post...
Yea, I'm having a mocking tone when I say that your reasons for bringing the old, already changed stuff back up in the conversation is funny excuses for not listening at all to what someone else writes.

It's rude, and not relevant to bring up things that I have already admitted are worse than than the translation I replied back to you later.

You refuse to change or accept anything I say.
Kikunra is not a way of addressing a 2nd person with respect.
It's multiple people addressing and you are referring to them as your lower or at the most equals, it's not polite.
Using only Kikun is addressing a 2nd person, and still not polite or any level of respect.

What I meant was that the use of multiple addressing should be included in the full sentence. I have never intended the word comrades to be kikunra. I meant that in the full english sentence that, the flow of multiple people being addressed at that time is present.

Please stop using the old stuff I said now, my translation is not what I had two days ago. It's what I told you yesterday. Do not mention comrades etc again please, we are past that, and my translation is not that.

You are rude, and you refuse to admit anything in your translation can be an error, to the point that you ignore my current translation and go for attacking the old one multiple times.

Lack of understanding to what I am explaining is probably my own fault for not being better at explaining in detail what I mean. But now you should know that he chamber is addressing multiple people with kikunra.
I asked on irc and 2 japanese people told me that human brethren is better, and that compatriot is not what is being said, but tbh I can't vouch for if they are good at this or not, just 2x random people. I don't know what else to confirm it by, I'm fairly sure now that it's not the word intended.
And that the word means something else from brethren in english, there is no doubt about that.
Apr 11, 2013 1:03 PM
Feb 2013
symbv said:
AnimageNeby said:

OK, I know sometimes we have different definitions of certain words (like "accepting" the Sybil system in Psycho-Pass where your definition still puzzles me) but anyway this may or may not be the case, so let me clarify even more:

You posted 4 posts before I came to that thread
I read your first post, wrote something on my reply post (there is always just one reply post)
I read your second post, wrote something more in that same reply post
I read your third post, I forgot whether I wrote anything, probably not
I read your last post, which had your conclusion, and I wrote the final light-hearted comment
I did not make changes to things I had already written and I submitted the post

Clear? Or still incredulous?

symbv, this is simply not correct. I mean: it's quite possible that you answered different posts of me in your post, but the part about what I thought about things, including the conclusion, which you answered paragraph-by-paragraph was ALL contained in ONE post of mine. Maybe the first, second of third in your count above, but the point being; the conclusion was set in the same post as the paragraph(s) where you were saying the same thing as I did in my conclusion, and then commenting on my conclusion.

There were no replies or quotes to/of any other posts (=other pages) *between* the paragraphs you quoted/responded to of that post, so the issue is not that I made several posts, and you responded to them all, since the part you responded to (with the conclusion), was in one and the same post.

That's why I said that it feels awkward and sounds a bit unlikely that you missed it. If you had read that particular post as a whole, you couldn't have missed the conclusion in there, and thus there was no need for you to say the same things in response to the first paragraph of the same (my/that) post. My best guess was, considering you didn't mean it sarcastically, that you clicked on 'quote' and started responding in the small text-message paragraph-by-paragraph, and thus, didn't see my conclusion till the end of the page, at my last paragraph.

This is, I think, the only logical explanation, apart from the use of sarcasm or simple oversight.

AnimageNeby said:

I can accept a comment saying it sounds awkward, but I am unhappy to be told that it is off, incorrect, wrong or much inferior. Comrades may sound better, but translating 同胞 as comrades changes the meaning subtly - here Chamber used 同胞 to appeal to the Gargantia crew their common origin as human race. Brethren and Compatriot fit that meaning; Comrades sound like an appeal to commonness in cause or belief.

Actually come to think of it, I guess "fellow human" or "fellow human race" would be good if "compatriot" sounds awkward (though not incorrect I must stress)

Yeah...'fellow humans' would be pretty good too. "Fellow humans. Join Alliance." sounds ok.
AnimageNebyApr 11, 2013 1:09 PM
Apr 11, 2013 1:15 PM

Sep 2012
alduren said:
You bring up old translation I already changed in response to your earlier replies.
And keep on repeating old stuff to have anything to find wrong at all.
And keep on bringing it up post after post...
Bear in mind that I started to bring it up when you said "you are just changing words to make your own unique translation, at the cost of making it too far from what's being said. There is really no sense in the change for the first part of the sentence, you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example." and I kept bringing up when you did not explain why you said I left out stuff when I just translated the same part of speech you made in the first translation.

alduren said:

It's rude, and not relevant to bring up things that I have already admitted are worse than than the translation I replied back to you later.
As if you were not rude when you said "you are just changing words to make your own unique translation, at the cost of making it too far from what's being said. There is really no sense in the change for the first part of the sentence, you even leave out who chamber speaks towards for example." which is BEFORE I brought up your first translation.

alduren said:

Kikunra is not a way of addressing a 2nd person with respect.
It's multiple people addressing and you are referring to them as your lower or at the most equals, it's not polite.
Using only Kikun is addressing a 2nd person, and still not polite or any level of respect.
Oh really? I took up one dictionary and it said
き‐くん【貴君】[代]二人称の人代名詞。男性が、手紙などで、対等または目下の男性に対し、軽い敬意を込めて用いる。
It is a 2nd-person pronoun, and the "ra" would mean it is 2nd-person plural pronoun (thus addressing multiple people). And there is a slight politeness in the word.

And in another dictionary 三省堂 大辞林 it said
二人称。男性が主に手紙や文書などで同輩程度の者に対して敬意をもって用いる語。

Again there is 敬意 which means respect.

alduren said:

What I meant was that the use of multiple addressing should be included in the full sentence. I have never intended the word comrades to be kikunra. I meant that in the full english sentence that, the flow of multiple people being addressed at that time is present.
But the meaning of "comrades" is not really there in the words spoken by Chamber, not even quite hinted.

alduren said:

You are rude, and you refuse to admit anything in your translation can be an error, to the point that you ignore my current translation and go for attacking the old one multiple times.
Well, you were the first to be rude and sounded superior, and when the person fought back you called that person rude?

As for "attacking the old one multiple times", you were the one who said that you still preferred the old translation, even after I accepted that Brethren is fine (which is why I did not touch your current translation any more). Since I wrote my very first post in response of your using "comrades" I found it necessary to explain why I made my first post in the first place. I don't see how this would constitute "attacks".

alduren said:
But now you should know that he chamber is addressing multiple people with kikunra.
Did I ever say otherwise? I wonder why you would think that I do not see Chamber is addressing multiple people.

alduren said:
I asked on irc and 2 japanese people told me that human brethren is better, and that compatriot is not what is being said, but tbh I can't vouch for if they are good at this or not, just 2x random people. I don't know what else to confirm it by, I'm fairly sure now that it's not the word intended.
Again I never said Brethren is not good. In fact I fully accept it. And as I said, I don't mind people saying "Compatriot" sounds awkward, but I would not accept a view that 同胞 cannot be translated to Compatriot.

alduren said:

And that the word means something else from brethren in english, there is no doubt about that.
Well, brethren has a sense of brotherhood in it so as an appeal for the same origin I can see it is fine (although it also carries a subtle connotation of relating to religion). Compatriot carries a sense of common place of origin so it is fine too (although it also carries a connotation of relating to country). Of course they are not the same, but it does not mean that 同胞 can only be translated to brethren but not compatriot, or the other way round.
symbvApr 11, 2013 1:24 PM

Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.