Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Dec 16, 2012 7:49 PM
Oct 2012
no_good_name said:
Its well known that Stalin was terrified of flying (he only flew once in his life) and took out alot of his anger on aircraft designers etc (the purges of the 1930's got rid of alot of his key research scientists, what an idiot)

One thing i want to know is did the Americans manage to infiltrate the soviet nuclear program?
I know they had a few soviet defectors but i cant for the life of me recall if they did.

That is the greatest weakness of a dictatorship, and the greatest strength of a democracy. In a democracy, eventually the truth wins out, in a dictatorship, the foibles of the leader can either promote or severely retard development. Humanity is very fortunate that both Hitler and Stalin were in the "retard" camp and not the "promote" camp.

Given the reaction of the US government to the Soviet atomic tests, I would say that they were caught off guard. The same is true with Mao's take over of China (1948 was not a good year for the United States). In both cases the US reacted like a spoiled child denied his Turkish delight (I am in a Narnia mood today :-), and over-reacted (this was part of that corner painting project I mentioned above, it also eventually led to Vietnam). This would suggest that they didn't have agents on the ground.

Though I do recall an article I read some 20 years ago about the highest level Soviet General who turned on the soviets. The reason for his betrayal was that he was scared to death that the soviets were winning, and he was no fan of communism. If I recall properly, the reward for his humanitarianism was a soviet spy in the American system reported him to the soviet government and he was executed. So that sort of shows the relative strengths of each country's network.
Dec 16, 2012 8:05 PM

Nov 2012

I think its also lucky hitler was such a raciest idiot, if Germany and the Soviet union had been true allies (which could have easily happened in my personal opinion) we all would have been screwed.
I dont think even Americas industrial might would have helped, i could just picture all the soviet factories churning out combined soviet/german tech.

I dont know how the japanese would have fit into a pact of that nature due to the Russo-Japanese War (i'm sure the soviets still held a grudge, just look at the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation of '45)
You never know, japan could have been on our side in ww2 (unlikely but still cool)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 16, 2012 9:21 PM

Sep 2012
no_good_name said:
For shame i got banned, oddly enough this GuP delay has not got me angry, i hope the last 2 episodes are perfect.
Just one month after joining MAL and you got banned? Because you posted too often? (>1200 in a month is truly amazing feat) Just joking. Welcome back.

no_good_name said:
You never know, japan could have been on our side in ww2 (unlikely but still cool)
Just a short word, I am not sure how cool it is if Japan is ally of America and China had to fight Japan without America as an ally. Effectively America was drawn into the war (or Japan felt compelled to get into a war with America) because of America's demand of Japan to pull back from China with its embargo threat.

That said, are we having off-topic discussion going on for too long here? From Type 3 Chi-Nu tank in GirlPan, to huge tanks Japan designed to perception of desire for bigness in WWII Japan military, to huge submarines that Japan really built and surprised US, to secret weapons designed by Japan and Germany, to secret atomic projects in USSR, to espionage between US and USSR, to how dictators like Hitler and Stalin may have impact on the development of his country's science and economy, to possible ally between Germany/USSR and between Japan/US....
symbvDec 16, 2012 9:51 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 16, 2012 9:32 PM

Nov 2012
symbv said:
no_good_name said:
For shame i got banned, oddly enough this GuP delay has not got me angry, i hope the last 2 episodes are perfect.
Just one month after joining MAL and you got banned? Because you posted too often? (>1200 in a month is truly amazing feat) Just joking. Welcome back.

no_good_name said:
Just a short word, I am not sure how cool it is if Japan is ally of America and China had to fight Japan without America as an ally.

That said, are we having off-topic discussion going on for too long here?

My ban was due to me forgetting MAL is not like certain other forums, i honestly dont know how i managed to get 1200+ posts already.

By any chance are you Chinese?
I know the war with japan was messy to say the least, the Chinese seem to still resent the Japanese alot.
....i seem good at getting off topic, i apologize if its annoying anybody, i always seem to have such good discussions in the GuP sub-forum.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 16, 2012 9:40 PM

Oct 2012
No_Good_Name wrote:
My ban was due to me forgetting MAL is not like certain other forums,

Your posts have always been excellent contributions.

Please advise us how to avoid getting banned.
Dec 16, 2012 9:45 PM

Sep 2012
no_good_name said:
My ban was due to me forgetting MAL is not like certain other forums, i honestly dont know how i managed to get 1200+ posts already.
To be honest, sometimes I have a feeling that you reply to each and every post in a thread you are checking. I sense you feel a compulsion to post. Just my personal opinion.

Also, you tend to quote the whole post which personally I think can create an impression of clogging up the pages. The spoiler tag you used in one of your earlier posts helps, although I think trimming the amount of text quoted should also be considered.

no_good_name said:
By any chance are you Chinese?
I know the war with japan was messy to say the least, the Chinese seem to still resent the Japanese alot.
Well, there is mutual feeling too. Survey in Japan indicates that most people do not view China favorably, and there are also a significant proportion of people who do not view Chinese people favorably. There is also a perception that in Japan a lot of crime are perpetuated by foreigners (mainly Koreans and Chinese). And compared to Chinese, the Koreans received even nastier comments from Japanese - in places like 2ch being called a Korean is meant to be an insult.

As for resentment, as I said earlier, we are still seeing denial of Rape of Nanjing and whitewashing of WWII brutality committed by Japan during WWII among top politicians as well as popular pundits in Japan. So it is more the frustration of Japan failing to confront its past than actual resentment.

I don't want to say more as this is really going OFF-TOPIC. And for my ethnicity, yes I am an ethnic Chinese.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 16, 2012 9:49 PM
Oct 2012
no_good_name said:
I think its also lucky hitler was such a raciest idiot, if Germany and the Soviet union had been true allies (which could have easily happened in my personal opinion) we all would have been screwed. I dont think even Americas industrial might would have helped, i could just picture all the soviet factories churning out combined soviet/german tech.

I dont know how the japanese would have fit into a pact of that nature due to the Russo-Japanese War (i'm sure the soviets still held a grudge, just look at the Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation of '45)

I probably shouldn't get started on Hitler, I actually have a theory that explains him better than anyone seems to be able to currently. But the short answer is that Hitler could never have teamed up with the Soviets. Fascism in general, and Nazism in particular, was set up as a reaction to communism (nationalism vs classism) and was in direct competition with it.

Both Hitler and Stalin never considered the western democracies a threat. They both thought that democracy made a country weak. Stalin figured that Germany would win, but it would weaken itself fighting the west, and he could then swoop down on both completing soviet world domination. His big miscalculation was that he didn't realize how much Hitler underestimated the West and the Soviets, so that Hitler thought he could take on both at once. The real historical question is what would have happened had Hitler not wasted 2 months digging Mussolini out of his Greek disaster before invading the Soviet Union.

Japan frankly speaking was a bit player, their leaders beyond stupid. There is a lot of evidence that the Soviets helped to push the Japanese into their invasion of China to divert the Japanese army from their far east, they then provided support to the Chinese to bleed the Japanese. This proved extremely successful, though the Japanese, being arrogant, did try to attack the Soviet Union with under-equipped, under trained forces and got destroyed during the battle of Khalkhyn Gol.

Symbv responded, but it bears emphasis that there was nothing cool about Japan from the 1930s coup through WWII. They were a military dictatorship on par with fascist Italy or Soviet Russia and it was a good thing for the world, not to mention the Japanese themselves, that they were defeated as soundly as they were. They were in a cultural dead end whose extinction was much justified.
Dec 16, 2012 9:58 PM

Nov 2012
okanagan said:
No_Good_Name wrote:
My ban was due to me forgetting MAL is not like certain other forums,

Your posts have always been excellent contributions.

Please advise us how to avoid getting banned.

It all boils down to being tolerant i guess (someone really annoyed in another thread) and not making spam threads even if they are funny at the time.

Yes i am willing to admit i have some bad habits that are brought on from other forums, most other no_good_name profiles are pretty empty, i dont usually use profiles.

Sorry for bringing up the whole japan-china thing, i'm going to go dig up some GuP content.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 16, 2012 9:59 PM

Oct 2012
Let me try to get things "back on tank tracks" by making some statements about Girls und Panzer:

1. It is exquisitely realistic in many different ways, such as the historical accuracy of the tanks.

2. It is technically groundbreaking in terms of the animation of the tanks. Nobody has previously done anything even remotely similar. They look more like tanks than real tanks. No doubt this same approach can be applied in many other ways.

3. It is a compelling and accessible story.

4. Well-designed and well-developed characters.

5. It has a good business plan, so that we will see Tsutomu Mizushima and the other staff being permitted to create many more excellent anime.

6. It is attracting the attention of many fans.

7. It is attracting the attention of many expert and intelligent people to join this and other discussions.

8. Yes, we don't want to get off topic. Even so, the series naturally generates deeper meaningful discussion topics.

9. They made very wise decisions to constrain the scope of the story. So for example they didn't get into romantic relationships or ecchi.

10. It is great to have the story based in the real-life city of Ooarai so that fans can visit there forever in the future. In this respect it could end up being a lot like the fandom of Star Trek.
Dec 16, 2012 10:13 PM

Oct 2012
Symbv wrote:
I am an ethnic Chinese.
You can read Chinese?

Yes. Several kinds.
Dec 16, 2012 10:14 PM

Sep 2012
^ So okanagan, you are Chinese?

Let me put something really GirlPan related and good for a few smiles (and applause for the enthusiastic GirlPan fans):

Dec 16, 2012 10:17 PM

Oct 2012
^ A long, long time ago my ancestors came to North America from Ireland. It was about the same time that the Mayflower came over.

Thank you, Symbv, for posting those awesome photos of those model tanks made by fans ! Amazing work.

I am very happy that they promoted Saki to commander of the Rabbit Team M3 Lee since I believe she deserves it for the courage that she has shown under fire. Let's see her commanding a platoon. (in the US Army, a group of four tanks)
okanaganDec 16, 2012 10:26 PM
Dec 16, 2012 10:23 PM
Oct 2012
okanagan said:
Let me try to get things "back on tank tracks" by making some statements about Girls und Panzer:

11. It uses music extremely well, from military marches to incidental music, it adds a lot to the enjoyment of the series.

12. It has a great deal of humor. From the tank rolling down the bank streets of Oourai to wake up Mako, to Anzu on the Student Council, to the Anko dance, the show has plenty of little bits of joy sprinkled though out the show

13. It maintains that beautiful balance between serious and camp, and serious and joke extremely well. Just when you think they are going overboard on the drama, they lighten the mood, just when you think the show is getting a bit cheesy, they pull out something that gets you to think.

On a personal note, in regard to going off topic, granted I am one who is always willing to go off topic, because I love rambling (if you think I am bad online, you should see me in person. I can talk about anything enthusiastically for hours). The great thing about GuP fans on this thread is that if they go out of bounds they are willing to be corrected because deep down what they want is to learn things, not just be right. We may have ignorant opinions, but at least we are not proud of our ignorance. That is refreshing.
Dec 16, 2012 10:50 PM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
^ A long, long time ago my ancestors came to North America from Ireland. It was about the same time that the Mayflower came over.
Although I do not think your first language is Chinese, I wonder whether you have any ethnic background of Chinese. Now I wonder where you learn Chinese from? College? Workplace or someone personally close?

Anyway, to continue the spirit of awesome GirlPan fanwork (it is almost like the days of Madoka even though the scale of Madoka fan creation was so much bigger), this is the ED version for the Pravda school:

Dec 16, 2012 10:51 PM

Oct 2012
Apparently there is an action figure of Miho that is available for sale now. See 07:46 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK0c_Y5Fi0k&NR

It is 1/7 scale. Note that both Miho and her voice actress are 158 cm tall. So the model is exactly the same height as a round in the M3 Lee 37 mm gun. It costs 8190 Yen (taxes included). It went on sale on Friday, November 23rd. In the box it consists of many pieces of plastic. You assemble them to complete the model. It also includes a clear plastic stand. I saw another webpage where they showed a very detailed step-by-step explanation of how the model is assembled. One warning: Director Tsutomu Mizushima commanded that there should be no panties shown in Girls und Panzer. However, his directive was not followed by the people who created this model. However, it is your option not to look.

Here is a photo of it: http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/U/UNOYO/20121205/20121205051256.jpg

and here too (I think): http://www.volks.co.jp/image/hr8/03_01.jpg

and here as well: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcKmNsUQPGDMYF21GXOZf_FXO-usH4lc2R8MOIrBSx4cTW_orjH9ERYDDXJQ
okanaganDec 16, 2012 11:22 PM
Dec 16, 2012 11:01 PM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
Apparently there is an action figure of Miho that is available for sale now.
I saw another webpage where they showed a very detailed step-by-step of how the model is assembled
Not sure if you were checking this webpage:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/UNOYO/20121205/p1

This is the product page from the net shop Volks Hobby Tengoku. It seems to be out of stock now:
https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992222660

okanagan said:
One warning: Director Tsutomu Mizushima commanded that there should be no panties shown in Girls und Panzer. However, his directive was not followed by the people who created this model.
His fiat is only limited to the anime itself. It is common practice for associated manga, posters, merchandise and figures of an anime to show scenes or situations that would be censored in anime. This is something that director is usually not involved. The main question is just how far it goes beyond what is shown in the anime, not whether ;-)

Dec 16, 2012 11:15 PM

Oct 2012
Symbv wrote:
I wonder whether you have any ethnic background of Chinese.

Even though our family history says that my ancestors are all from Ireland, I can't be 100% sure that I have no Chinese blood. There is a serious archeological theory that a Chinese man named "Zheng He" (b.1371 – d.1433), sailed a large fleet of ships and established a colony in Eastern Canada. That is not too far from Ireland. It takes a lot of ..... to sail a fleet halfway around the world. Ironically, since he was a eunuch, he didn't actually have any.

This topic is now closed unless we start to discuss some tank battle involving the Chinese Nationalists or the Chinese Communists. I am not aware whether either of them ever used tanks. Yesterday I asked a question about tanks in Taiwan as well. This last point is not crazy since there must have been some military plan to defend Taiwan in case it was invaded by Douglas MacArthur. Taiwan is a fairly large island. So you would need tanks, right? The Americans certainly would have landed some tanks onto Taiwan if they had invaded, right?

There were some very serious air raids by the Americans on Taiwan in 1945. So maybe this was a prelude to an invasion.
Dec 16, 2012 11:20 PM

Oct 2012
Symbv wrote:
Not sure if you were checking this webpage:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/UNOYO/20121205/p1

Thank you! Yes, that is the webpage that I saw last week ! I couldn't find it just now.
okanaganDec 17, 2012 12:36 AM
Dec 16, 2012 11:21 PM
Oct 2012
okanagan said:
There is a serious archeological theory that a Chinese man named "Zheng He" (b.1371 – d.1433), sailed a large fleet of ships and established a colony in Eastern Canada. That is not too far from Ireland. It takes a lot of ..... to sail a fleet halfway around the world. Ironically, since he was a eunuch, he didn't actually have any.

Please don't mention that theory, the book was a total piece of crap. I say that with regret, because I was previously well aware of the Ming Treasure Fleet and their sailing to Africa. I had great hopes that this book would have some evidence that would prove that indeed the Chinese did do this, but having read the book I was astonished at how bad it actually was. Its is seldom that a book is so bad that it creates negative evidence, but this book succeeded in this. Granted this is not the forum for this discussion, feel free to message me if you want to discuss it. But I have a great hatred of false history, and this book has done a lot to spread it.

okanagan said:
Yesterday I asked a question about tanks in Taiwan as well. This last point is not crazy since there must have been some military plan to defend Taiwan in case it was invaded by Douglas MacArthur.

From 1895-1945 Taiwan was the Japanese province of Formosa. If MacArthur had invaded he would have faced Japanese, not Chinese tanks.
Dec 16, 2012 11:24 PM

Nov 2012
I love anime figurines (have a couple of them) but the annoying this is you cant really seem to display them without looking like a pervert.

That said, me wants.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 16, 2012 11:37 PM

Sep 2012
So okanagan, where did you learn to read Chinese?

For Zheng He, going as far as America seems really far-fetched, but it is true that he went as far as Africa, andthere are some hints that there were Chinese settlers in parts of East and South Africa dated back in the time when Zheng He made the voyages.

As for tanks in Chinese forces in WWII, here is some background (below). The earlier armored forces were built with German help and after 1938 the main source is USSR, and after 1941 when US entered the war China also got American armor vehicles as a form of aid. The number was never big though, though they still came in useful in many occasions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Chinese_armoured_forces_%281927-1945%29

Dec 16, 2012 11:46 PM

Oct 2012
I am interested in the issue of Taiwan since it could have been an interesting opportunity for American tanks to come up head-to-head against Japanese tanks.

The Japanese always called Taiwan, "Taiwan". I guess "Formosa" was the English name that was in use at that time.

Apparently Japan had all of these giant amazing tanks. Would it not make sense for the army to position some of these tanks in Taiwan in preparation for an invasion by the Americans? I just find it difficult to imagine that there was no serious plan to prepare for an American landing. What sort of tanks could the Americans have put ashore? What sort of tank could the Japanese have had in place? Keep in mind that Taiwan is very limited in terms of deep water parts. So it would be easy to defend them with local air superiority. It could have been a very tough fight for the Americans trying to establish a beachhead. Maybe that is why they bypassed it.

Over the years, I have never seen any discussion of this hypothetical possibility. But occasionally people will talk about a possible invasion of the home islands, most likely starting in Kyuushuu (九州). That would be another very, very interesting topic. Mobile armour would definitely have played a role there.

At that time, Taiwan was technically a "dependency" of Japan. So it was not a province and it was not a prefecture. It was considered to be part of the Greater Japanese Empire.

Symbv, thank you for the fascinating Wikipedia article on tanks in China. All news to me!
okanaganDec 16, 2012 11:54 PM
Dec 16, 2012 11:52 PM

Sep 2012
Going off topic again?

Dec 16, 2012 11:53 PM
Sep 2012
You guys should really start a separate thread for all these historical discussions you've been having.
Dec 16, 2012 11:58 PM

Oct 2012
I think that talking about American versus Japanese tanks is a legitimate topic since it is directly related to the battle that we all saw against Saunders.

So I'm not off topic just yet.

I just doubt that the leader of the M4 Shermans would have hugged his opposite at the end of the battle.

But we can start a separate thread to tell the stories of where we all picked up our language skills . . .
okanaganDec 17, 2012 12:02 AM
Dec 17, 2012 12:05 AM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
I think that talking about American versus Japanese tanks is a legitimate topic since it is directly related to the battle that we all saw against Saunders.

So I'm not off topic just yet.
An esoteric interest in what tanks were in Taiwan and what might have happened if America landed on Taiwan is not off-topic? Come on.

And I still don't know where you started picking up Chinese language after all these posts...

Dec 17, 2012 12:08 AM

Oct 2012
Come on.

Will do.
Dec 17, 2012 12:44 AM

Sep 2012
Another attempt to start on-topic coverage for this episode:

Someone in 2ch seems to have made multiple checks on the Anzu/Yuzu/Momo team versus a bunch of T34 in that few minutes, and here is the glorious record of the kills and hits wrecked by Anzu:

1. In the first push towards Pravda tanks as part of the team, hit the left side of the turret of a T34/85 (no white flag). It bypassed the first line of Pravda tanks.

2. Then it went for solo challenge against the second line of Pravda tanks.

3. Hit and damage the drive wheel on the left of a T34/76 (let's call it tank A)

4. Hit the right-rear of the IS-2 and the shell bounced back

5. Damage the exhaust pipe on the right of a T34/85(?)

6. Hit the left side of the turret of tank A, a T34/76. White flag raised.

7. Damage the idler wheel on the left of a T34/85

8. Damage the right-front track (and track wheels too?) of a T34/85(?)

9. Hit the left side of the turret of another T34/76. White flag raised.

10. When it was withdrawing from the battle scene it was hit by the T35/85 commanded by Nonna. Flipped over and rendered out of action.
symbvDec 17, 2012 1:12 AM

Dec 17, 2012 1:10 AM

Nov 2012
I was wondering about that last part, i know they have emergency recovery vehicles but what about emergency paramedics etc for the girls?

I had expected serious injury during the explosion (easily the most violent tank knock out of the series to date)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 17, 2012 1:25 AM
Nov 2012
okanagan said:
Symbv wrote:
I am an ethnic Chinese.
You can read Chinese?

Yes. Several kinds.

Sigh, as an ethnic Chinese myself, I am embarrassed to still struggle to read and write although I can speak mandarin rather fluently.

Anyways, I've gone for so long and the threat has gone so far. Is really a bummer that there will be an episode 10.5, but this can be tolerated. But do they have to put the final episode all the way to March? If there is cliffhanger in episode 11, how am I supposed to live through these 2 months.

symbv said:
^ So okanagan, you are Chinese?

Let me put something really GirlPan related and good for a few smiles (and applause for the enthusiastic GirlPan fans):

I don't know about the rest, but that Churchill looks like one of my DeAngostini The Combat Tank Collection tanks. rather cheap and detailed and where my recent interest in tanks bloom. [missed out on the Pz IV issue due to lack of funds.....regret]. Since my local issue has't got the the the rest of those tanks like the other country so I can't know for sure weather those are also Deangostini. Funny how accurate the fans were to put Arisa in the M4A3 (i think it was A3) Easy Eight, the same one Arisa used in Ep 6.

Tanks in Taiwan? The earliest tanks in Taiwan are M4 Shermans as far as I know. But I think I read somewhere they had early German tanks like the Panzer I/II or maybe even III. That said I wonder weather they will procure the M1A2 Abrams from the US, they seriously have to replaced their aging M60 Patton and Walker Bulldog tanks.
Dec 17, 2012 1:29 AM
Nov 2012
no_good_name said:
I was wondering about that last part, i know they have emergency recovery vehicles but what about emergency paramedics etc for the girls?

I had expected serious injury during the explosion (easily the most violent tank knock out of the series to date)

From the looks of it the 38(T) did't suffer a Direct hit, but more to on the tracks. The explosive shell cause the rather light 38(T) to flip over. Anyways when Miho said the tanks were coated with carbon inside the crew compartments. Maybe(just maybe) this is to prevent any tank shells from penetrating the crew compartment. I don't remember any shells penetrating to crew compartment, only the engine or the tracks.
Dec 17, 2012 1:37 AM

Sep 2012
^ I would say that injury for the crew in the 38(T) is more likely to be caused by the flip-over instead of any hit the tanks suffered.

As for the mysterious carbon coating I am sure it is there to prevent any AP or HE shell from causing any effect in the crew compartments.

Dec 17, 2012 1:40 AM

Oct 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
Miho said the tanks were coated with carbon inside the crew compartments. Maybe(just maybe) this is to prevent any tank shells from penetrating the crew compartment. I don't remember any shells penetrating to crew compartment,

Right, all Miho ever said was "carbon". We also know it has to do with protection. There has been no more explanation.

By far, the strongest known material is made out of carbon. I am talking about carbon nanotubes. It would definitely make sense for them to use this ultra-strong material to protect the inside of the tank. This would not only prevent shell penetration but spalling (little fragments flying off from the walls) as well.

So . . . it makes 100% sense even if present-day technology is nowhere close to doing it.

I am also guessing that the girls are not using armour piercing depleted uranium shaped charge projectiles.
Dec 17, 2012 1:41 AM

Nov 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
no_good_name said:

From the looks of it the 38(T) did't suffer a Direct hit, but more to on the tracks. The explosive shell cause the rather light 38(T) to flip over. Anyways when Miho said the tanks were coated with carbon inside the crew compartments. Maybe(just maybe) this is to prevent any tank shells from penetrating the crew compartment. I don't remember any shells penetrating to crew compartment, only the engine or the tracks.

I was thinking more along the lines of injury due to being thrown around, ww2 era tanks were not built for comfort, i would expect broken or cracked bones from that sort of crash.

I know there was a tank that had a design fault where when the main gun fired it would throw the commander into the side of the turret causing cracked/broken ribs (i cant remember the type of tank but i bet somebody knows what i'm on about)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 17, 2012 2:46 AM

May 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:

Anyways, I've gone for so long and the threat has gone so far. Is really a bummer that there will be an episode 10.5, but this can be tolerated. But do they have to put the final episode all the way to March? If there is cliffhanger in episode 11, how am I supposed to live through these 2 months.

Episode 10 will be aired tonight(Dec. 17) in Japan though it is somewhat incomplete(according to Director Mizushima) and will be fixed in the BD/DVD release. Episode 10.5 will be aired next week(Dec. 24). Then Episode 11 and 12 will be aired tentatively sometime around March 2013.
Dec 17, 2012 3:10 AM
Nov 2012
zenjamibu said:
Jyuu-niDesu said:

Episode 10 will be aired tonight(Dec. 17) in Japan though it is somewhat incomplete(according to Director Mizushima) and will be fixed in the BD/DVD release. Episode 10.5 will be aired next week(Dec. 24). Then Episode 11 and 12 will be aired tentatively sometime around March 2013.

Sigh..........March
I wish there is a season 2
Dec 17, 2012 3:32 AM
Nov 2012
okanagan said:

Right, all Miho ever said was "carbon". We also know it has to do with protection. There has been no more explanation.

Actually she says "Carbon Coating" in english, which does make it sound rather futuristic.
Dec 17, 2012 7:27 AM
Dec 2010
Whoa all this talk about ethnic chinese and whatnot. I'm proud to say that I am ethnically 100% Han Chinese. Not living in China ATM but I am equally eloquent and educated in Chinese as in English, having been through post-primary education in both an english-oriented metropolis and a native-chinese city. Although I prefer using the latter more for sake of communication effectiveness (since mandarin has tons of dialects, derivatives and whatnot).

And topic-wise,

Yes I'm also sure they aren't using any form of high-density slugs. If not it would've been alot more devastating for tanks on the receiving end. Crew damage in this series is almost a given to not be realistic. On multiple occasions including the first tank battle amongst the Oorai squads, we can see shells completely penetrating tanks at multiple points, some definitely can be considered fatal or near-fatal to the crew. But of course, no one wants to see anime girls getting killed the same way real-life tank crew are in such situations so I guess that waives it.
Dec 17, 2012 8:02 AM
Jun 2009
Talking about accuracy and aim skill of Pravda tanks during the church-escape scene, I think it's pretty normal. During Oorai match with Saunder, when they lured 2 shermans over the ambush point, they only managed to disable 1 sherman even when these 2 shermans didnt move at all. When the other sherman was trying flee, they shot again but missed. And they were pretty close to the shermans in that ambush scene while the Pravda tanks in episode 9 were pretty far away, most of them were outside of the town. It's just that Oorai girls has 2 skilled gunners that can acutally shoot while other schools have only 1, Saunder's Arisa and Pravda's Nonna for example.
Dec 17, 2012 8:15 AM

May 2012
Well, Katyusha's plan was not to attack the Oarai team while they were going out of the church but to lure them to go to the weakest route to surround them but instead the Oarai team go for the strongly defended route.
Dec 17, 2012 8:18 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
okanagan said:
I am also guessing that the girls are not using armour piercing depleted uranium shaped charge projectiles.
Not that they couldn't, but that type of municion is a relatively modern development, decades after WWII. My impression is that the "rules of the game" attempt to simulate the historical performance of the weapons and ammo involved, so for instance I would not expect any tank to be firing any type of ammo it did not have historical access to.

Just a short note about that last point, just because a type of ammo was available doesn't mean it was the common round. For instance, the US had a high velocity tungstun round available for it's 76.2mm gun mounted on the M4/76 sherman in the late fall of 1944, but production of tungsten rounds was prioritized to the Tank Destroyer units (for doctrine reasons) so if an M4/76 had any at all it would probably be no more than 2 or 3 rounds.

(The performance of a gun is a combination of the design limit of the gun regarding the charge it can handle and the actual ammo used. - so, for instance, even though both the Mk IV F2 and later vehicles and the Panther had a "75mm", the Mk IV was not mounting a version that could handle the rounds fired by the Panther and could not be up-gunned to use the same gun)

Now, as has been pointed out we know almost nothing about how they have modified these vehicles to protect the girls by preventing actual penetrations, but large HE rounds, particularly as from the KV-2, could kill simply from "over-pressure" alone - one wonders how this is protected against, if they even considered that in making this story?
CratexDec 17, 2012 8:21 AM
Dec 17, 2012 8:27 AM
Nov 2012
soluuloi said:
It's just that Oorai girls has 2 skilled gunners that can acutally shoot while other schools have only 1, Saunder's Arisa and Pravda's Nonna for example.

I think you meant Saunder's Naomi, the one in the Firefly.
Dec 17, 2012 8:31 AM
Oct 2012
Cratex said:
Now, as has been pointed out we know almost nothing about how they have modified these vehicles to protect the girls by preventing actual penetrations, but large HE rounds, particularly as from the KV-2, could kill simply from "over-pressure" alone - one wonders how this is protected against, if they even considered that in making this story?

My thought? The shells are modern inventions that have been modified, which is why all ammunition has to come from the foundation. The shells contains some sort of electronic chip that identifies the type of shell it is so that when it hits the target this gets transmitted to the electronics controlling the surrender flag, and these, taking into account speed, type of shell, type of gun, location of hit, and type of armor, decides whether the shot was a "kill" or not. This would explain the time difference between hit and the flag popping out.

The shells are live ammo, and while strong, do no have enough piercing power to get through the carbon layer lining the insides of all the tanks. The the worse damage comes from being jostled around from a hit, not actual damage caused by the weapons.

Since the foundation knows which tanks are going to participate, they can tune the ammunition to the level of the weakest tank in the competition, to prevent physical damage, while still providing the higher stats to the more power tank shells.
Takuan_SohoMar 27, 2013 4:07 PM
Dec 17, 2012 8:35 AM
Oct 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
soluuloi said:
It's just that Oorai girls has 2 skilled gunners that can acutally shoot while other schools have only 1, Saunder's Arisa and Pravda's Nonna for example.

I think you meant Saunder's Naomi, the one in the Firefly.

It's funny how some solutions lead to bigger problems. How is it that a new school like Ooarai has two skilled gunners, where as schools like Saunders and Pravda, with unlimited budgets (it seems) and over 50 tanks, only has one skilled gunner each?
Dec 17, 2012 8:37 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
My thought? The shells are modern inventions that have been modified, which is why all ammunition has to come from the foundation. The shells contains some sort of electronic chip that identifies the type of shell it is so that when it hits the target this gets transmitted to the electronics controlling the surrender flag, and these, taking into account speed, type of shell, type of gun, location of hit, and type of armor, decides whether the shot was a "kill" or not. This would explain the time difference between hit and the flag popping out.

The shells are live ammo, and while strong, do no have enough piercing power to get through the carbon layer lining the instead of all the tanks. The the worse damage comes from being jostled around from a hit, not actual damage caused by the weapons.

Since the foundation knows which tanks are going to participate, they can tune the ammunition to the level of the weakest tank in the competition, to prevent physical damage, while still providing the higher stats to the more power tank shells.
I like that - simple and elegant.
Dec 17, 2012 9:19 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
How is it that a new school like Ooarai has two skilled gunners, where as schools like Saunders and Pravda, with unlimited budgets (it seems) and over 50 tanks, only has one skilled gunner each?
My personal answer: genius skills are not related to the amount of budget and the number of tanks ;-)
symbvDec 17, 2012 9:29 AM

Dec 19, 2012 11:27 AM

Sep 2009
MIHO is a big inspiration! Miho never loses hope. She made her friends feel that there is still hope and never lose!
Feb 6, 2013 5:35 AM

Apr 2009
Lol, the commander of the Pravda detachment, Katyusha, has some megalomania/temperament issues reminiscent of the WWII-era Soviet leader Joseph Stalin.

Miho succeeded in rallying her disheartened teams and raise their flagging morale by her unexpected... dance and song routine. Well, that attests to her ability as leader; and during the later action - ability as tactician.

The sacrificial diversionary assault by Team Turtle allowed the rest of Oarai's teams to effect a breakthrough from encirclement. The student council president Anzu distinguished herself as a tank commander/gunner in this battle with nice pinpoint shooting action that took down two superior enemy tanks for the loss of theirs. Yuzu also deserves credit for her good driving to allow Anzu to get in all those shots.

Epic evasive driving by Team Duck in an antiquated Type 89 tank. Bought some time to pursue and trap the enemy T-34 flagtank. It seems they still got hit by the end, though. If Team Duck is Oarai's flagtank, they're in serious trouble since it appears they were hit first before Pravda's flagtank took a hit. It's a cliffhanger, yes.
Mar 18, 2013 9:54 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Especially the song and dance
Mar 27, 2013 3:28 AM

Feb 2012
Never realized before how big a fan I am of snowy-based anime episodes.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 8, 2012

252 by Cam1922 »»
Jun 18, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

okanagan - Mar 25, 2013

275 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 6, 7:57 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

168 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 6, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

194 by patkarunungan »»
Jun 5, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bippo - Nov 19, 2012

147 by kagamiiin »»
Jun 5, 3:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.