Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Overrated?
Yes
47.9%
No
52.1%
1,364 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Nov 2, 2009 8:32 AM

Apr 2009
gopobox said:
I thought it was overrated after seeing the first episode
I thought it was underrated after seeing the last episode

My thoughts EXACTLY. There was never an anime before TTGL that made me cry by sheer epicness of a scene and music. I voted 10 because that's how much I enjoyed it, that's how I feel. Everyone's POV is different :) For example, I think Suzumiya is so ridiculously overrated it shouldn't even be possible to overrate anything that much. Both the series and the character (but especially Haruhi herself, whom I hate x__X) That's just how things work.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 4, 2009 3:02 AM

Jul 2009
HI-5

Another person who thinks haruhi is overrated
あらあら。。。^^
Nov 4, 2009 5:31 AM
Jun 2009
hmm,,. Yes it`s overrated IMO,...

Code Geass and Death note are far better than this one....
but still it has a higher rank...,,
Nov 4, 2009 7:48 AM

Feb 2005
aezakmi2494 said:
hmm,,. Yes it`s overrated IMO,...

Code Geass and Death note are far better than this one....
but still it has a higher rank...,,
Well, at least TTGL wasn't as full of bad plot and character writing as CG R2.
Nov 4, 2009 8:09 AM

Apr 2009
gopobox said:
HI-5

Another person who thinks haruhi is overrated

HI-5
This should be universally accepted as a fact D: And yet it isn't.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 4, 2009 8:09 AM

Sep 2009
Hell to the no.
Nov 4, 2009 8:15 AM

May 2008
Coming back into this thread definitely reminded me of my grudge against this show I like.
It's hard to admit you liked a show at all when the fans suck this bad.

Quite possibly, there's no fandom in this world worse than the Gurren Lagann fandom.
Gurren Lagann fantards are lower than low.

I read this thread, and find myself ashamed for ever having liked this at all.
ukonkiviNov 4, 2009 8:20 AM

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 5, 2009 8:59 PM

Sep 2008
ukonkivi said:
Coming back into this thread definitely reminded me of my grudge against this show I like.

Quite possibly, there's no fandom in this world worse than the Gurren Lagann fandom.

Judging/liking an anime by it's fanbase is far lower than being a fantard of it.
Nov 6, 2009 4:10 AM

Jul 2009
5layer said:
ukonkivi said:

Judging/liking an anime by it's fanbase is far lower than being a fantard of it.

QFT
Nov 6, 2009 2:47 PM

Aug 2008
Psychodrake said:
5layer said:
ukonkivi said:

QFT

It's ok, awesome things are not for everyone.
Nov 10, 2009 1:51 PM

Jan 2009
Well main strength of TTGL is the strength of the character development.

I never feel anything is too "forced" unlike overdramitic gundam deaths for example.

Its also a classic loser to hero story, which a lot of people can relate with.
Nov 10, 2009 2:28 PM

Oct 2009
I personally think it's over-rated. Any show that takes 8 episodes (about 1/3 - 1/4 of it's length) to get even mildly interesting isn't worth a the ratings that TTGL has.
Nov 12, 2009 2:53 AM

Jul 2009
But episode 8 was like the biggest turning point ive ever seen in any show. Like come on.....
あらあら。。。^^
Nov 12, 2009 6:07 AM

Apr 2009
gopobox said:
But episode 8 was like the biggest turning point ive ever seen in any show. Like come on.....

Yes o.o I spoiled myself with it beforehand but I still ended up bawling like a kid x__X

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 12, 2009 6:37 AM

Feb 2005
gopobox said:
You should see LoGH episode 82.
I had to say it :/
Nov 12, 2009 2:46 PM

Oct 2009
Episode 8 may be a great turning point, but I think that if the anime is so awesome the writers should have been able to put a much better hook in the first 2.5 hours of the show. Come on, that's an entire movies worth of time they wasted (at least in my opinion)

Granted I'm not a fan of other anime that seem to run along this vein, such as FLCL so I just might be an oddity.
Nov 12, 2009 4:13 PM

Oct 2008
Your faces are overrated

my face included
Nov 13, 2009 8:19 AM

Feb 2005
vanaheimr said:
Episode 8 may be a great turning point, but I think that if the anime is so awesome the writers should have been able to put a much better hook in the first 2.5 hours of the show. Come on, that's an entire movies worth of time they wasted (at least in my opinion)
I'd also second this. The certain character that shouldn't be named due to spoiler reasons just didn't have any sort of character depth, he was merely a walking determinator cliche, a cut out board of awesome. The event in episode 8 would have made a much bigger impact if he had been a more developed character.
I also kept feeling that the whole event was just a planned thing anyway, and that the character in question was nothing but a plot device destined to play is role just like that, which doesn't make it that much of a turning point. it would have been better if it had felt more genuine and unexpected.
Nov 13, 2009 8:27 AM

Nov 2008
I also felt like the character in question was a plot device but that's okay for me, as long as he fulfilled his role.
Gurren Lagann really looked cliche and predictable but it really manage to surprise by killing this image with this episode.
Nov 13, 2009 8:28 PM

Oct 2009
Baman said:
vanaheimr said:
I'd also second this. The certain character that shouldn't be named due to spoiler reasons just didn't have any sort of character depth, he was merely a walking determinator cliche, a cut out board of awesome. The event in episode 8 would have made a much bigger impact if he had been a more developed character.
I also kept feeling that the whole event was just a planned thing anyway, and that the character in question was nothing but a plot device destined to play is role just like that, which doesn't make it that much of a turning point. it would have been better if it had felt more genuine and unexpected.

You could describe pretty much every character in the series as "having no depth, a cardboard cut-out of awesome" to be honest.
Nov 13, 2009 10:23 PM

Jun 2009
Who cares, it was entertaining and that was all the guys at Gainax were obviously trying to do. I don't think they even had the intention of making a masterpiece, Gurren Lagann is obviously meant as pure unadulterated badass entertainment. Because I think it met it's goals admirably I don't think Gurren Lagann is overrated.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 14, 2009 12:45 PM

May 2009
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK TTGL IS?

No its not overrated,
maybe Death Note, Code Geass are downrated but TTGL isnt overrated.
It's just one of the MOST EPIC ANIMES EVER!
JustLegendNov 30, 2009 8:01 AM
Join now Saint Seiya - The Lost Canvas Fan-Club
Nov 26, 2009 4:11 PM
Mar 2009
Yes.

But this isn't a knock on the series. I truly loved the series as a whole, and I generally hate all mecha anime. That being said, this anime is practically worshiped. It isn't the second coming, and it does have faults, which a few too many people find blasphemous to even think of.
Nov 27, 2009 9:12 PM

Oct 2009
Tensaiga said:
Yes.

But this isn't a knock on the series. I truly loved the series as a whole, and I generally hate all mecha anime. That being said, this anime is practically worshiped. It isn't the second coming, and it does have faults, which a few too many people find blasphemous to even think of.

I'm with you on this one. It's not a bad series but it's definitely imperfect, and unfortunately it is burdened by some of the most rabid fanboys ever.
Nov 28, 2009 9:17 PM

Apr 2009
I can't believe "No" is blowing "Yes" out of the water.

Pretty much a testament to how overrated TTGL is. I mean, I love the show, and it's great, but the flaws are pretty much in your face. Frankly, I can't believe that it's #2 (Actually I can, not only because it's MAL, but more because I've accepted that a large portion of the fanbase are drones).
Nov 29, 2009 11:29 AM

Jul 2009
none of the anime in top 25 which i have seen are perfect to be worthy of no 1.

to be frank all have their +ve and -ves.

its just that majority feels that ttgl deserves 10/10 thats why its no 2 on the list.

everyone has different opinion, to be frank i find death note and code geass overrated and good but not great but to be frank if majority likes it, im no one to rant or call the anime fanbase idiots or says 'omg i cant belive how such anime can get 10/10

its not at rule that people should like the animes which majority likes but you dont have any right to call the fanbase idiots or anything else.

no wonder all animes which are in top 5/6 have 'overrated thread'
Dec 10, 2009 12:18 PM

Oct 2008
Overrated is overrated.
­
Dec 10, 2009 12:22 PM

Apr 2009
Just started it last night and accidentally marathoned the first half of the show. I'm going to have to go with no.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Dec 10, 2009 2:28 PM

Sep 2008
I wish the mods would close all of these goddamn threads.

This thread and
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=95403
and
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=73940

They only cause arguments that make more people go down the road of trolling. Seriously.
Dec 10, 2009 5:48 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah. I don't see it's appeal, but if it floats other people's boat, how can I complain. I really just hate it when people call it the best of the mecha genre. It really isn't. The over-the-top-ness is really sort of ridiculous when you see it with a clear nonfanboyish mind.
Dec 10, 2009 9:31 PM

Jul 2008
It just has a lot of fans because it is amazing.
Dec 10, 2009 10:21 PM

Nov 2007
Gunbuster's way better anyway.
Dec 11, 2009 5:30 AM

Apr 2009
yes imho..
the show was good after episode 17..
first 16 eps were Below average...
tho the explosions/effects were very good..
Dec 11, 2009 3:35 PM

Aug 2008
Show was really 7/10 in first eps (dont really know on which one i started to really like it), but suddenly after completion i realized that i only could rate it 10/10.
Dec 11, 2009 3:40 PM

Apr 2009
ArtRodriguez said:
Yeah. I don't see it's appeal, but if it floats other people's boat, how can I complain. I really just hate it when people call it the best of the mecha genre. It really isn't. The over-the-top-ness is really sort of ridiculous when you see it with a clear nonfanboyish mind.
That's the thing though. Mecha are inherently stupid. The ONLY way to enjoy a mecha show is to acknowledge the rediculousness and amp it up to 11.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Dec 12, 2009 3:40 AM

Feb 2005
CDRW said:
That's the thing though. Mecha are inherently stupid. The ONLY way to enjoy a mecha show is to acknowledge the rediculousness and amp it up to 11.
There's always some that's more believable than others though, like Votoms.
And personally, I only really find mechas breaking the suspension of disbelief if they are too overpowered in their own settings, like when you see a single super invincible prototype that beamspams everything.
At least there wasn't really much of that in TTGL though.
Dec 12, 2009 3:59 AM
Oct 2009
Baman said:
when you see a single super invincible prototype that beamspams everything.

Isn't that the definition of mecha anime? (NOT saying that mecha anime sucks, i really do enjoy them)

True fact that TTGL didn't actually show a lot of logic by telling the viewers that yelling and charging without thinking is going to give you (and your mecha) uber super mega powers that obliterate everything by just looking cool, but still isn't that what it is supposed to do? Look cool? TTGL gets your childish side in a manner no anime will get. (At least it got mine.)

I think TTGL it was ok for a afternoon, when you don't want to think very much and you need something light and refreshing.

It's definitely not a mature anime.
Dec 12, 2009 1:51 PM

Jul 2008
The biggest problem with TTGL is the fact that it's made by Gainax. It's been proven time and time again that Gainax does not know when to stop. The series has had so much useless spin off crap that it just lost all meaning.
Dec 12, 2009 5:53 PM

Nov 2007
Herp derp things are overrated because I don't like them.

I see this thread is still alive and well.
Dec 12, 2009 5:57 PM

May 2009
It's not! -.- anybody got problem with it being not overrated?
Dec 13, 2009 6:15 AM

Feb 2005
ZeroOnionz said:
Isn't that the definition of mecha anime? (NOT saying that mecha anime sucks, i really do enjoy them)
It's a very common cliché, yes, but not anywhere near a defining trait. There are still mecha series with nothing like that at all, even some of the Gundams.
firy said:
It is! -.- Anybody got problem with it being overrated?
Two can play that game you see. If there is going to be any point in this thread at all, perhaps people should actually write something to explain instead of just blurting out useless statements, hmm?
Dec 13, 2009 6:47 AM

May 2009
well, if you think that it's overrated how the hell can i make you change your mind ha?
i don't think it it just because i really think that anime is great and deserves the attention it has.
Dec 13, 2009 7:31 AM
Oct 2009
firy said:

firy said:
well, if you think that it's overrated how the hell can i make you change your mind ha?

This thread wasn't created with the intention of "making people to change their minds about TTGL overrateness" (it seemes logical no?). It was created for the poll right up there in order to see what people think (in a most civilized manner).
Problem is that you people just get tangled up in a annoying war between the TTGL lovers and haters (those who said yes and those who said no).

Someones taste is not subject of debate. (a old saying from where i come from...)
Dec 13, 2009 9:35 AM

Nov 2007
ZeroOnionz said:
It was created for the poll right up there in order to see what people think (in a most civilized manner).
Problem is that you people just get tangled up in a annoying war between the TTGL lovers and haters (those who said yes and those who said no).

Basically the name of the thread is "are you disagreeing with majority?". If that's not flaming, I don't know what is.

Go make "talking about good and bad sides of TTGL in a most civilized manner"-thread somewhere and let this shit die down.
Dec 14, 2009 9:23 AM
Oct 2009
Orangevision said:
Go make "talking about good and bad sides of TTGL in a most civilized manner"-thread somewhere and let this shit die down.

The deed is done! ^_^
Here is the new thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=143165
orphanedDec 16, 2009 2:45 PM
Dec 16, 2009 1:17 PM
May 2008
sage goes in all fields
Dec 17, 2009 4:57 AM

Jan 2009
nope i believe its underrated because of its mecha theme
everybody should give this EPIC story a chance because its redefining the bad image of mecha anime
Dec 17, 2009 8:22 AM

Feb 2005
ios said:
nope i believe its underrated because of its mecha theme
everybody should give this EPIC story a chance because its redefining the bad image of mecha anime
I actually found it to be reaffirming the bad image of mecha rather than the other way around, at least for one who doesn't like Super mecha.
Dec 18, 2009 9:12 AM

May 2009
Dec 24, 2009 12:54 PM

May 2009
Neverender said:
Delete this, please.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1154 by skullcandy123166 »»
Jun 17, 4:17 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Sep 1, 2007

162 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 25, 2007

180 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 7:33 PM

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

22 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.