Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Aug 6, 2015 5:28 AM
Feb 2013
I don't have an exact reason, I just have an easier time paying attention to a series if I watch it dubbed. Not that I can't pay attention to a series with subs, it's just that with a dub, it makes it easier.
Aug 8, 2015 9:30 PM

Aug 2014
Reading subtitles can distract viewers from the action, which is why I mostly stick to watching dubs.
Aug 9, 2015 5:33 PM

Mar 2014
pokemastanumba1 said:
Reading subtitles can distract viewers from the action, which is why I mostly stick to watching dubs.

Of course. Watching subbed anime is like gazing at a gorgeous oil painting, with a swarm of locusts buzzing all over you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2015 11:08 PM

Aug 2013
I'm enjoying dubs more these days because I'm too lazy to read the subtitles. It makes the show more enjoyable. I can just focus what's on the screen.
Oct 16, 2015 8:51 PM

Nov 2013
To be honest I got used to dubs (since when I was getting into anime I did watch things dubbed). But I feel like you should give each dub a chance before judging it based on the trailer for a new dub...
Nov 25, 2015 5:36 PM
Sep 2015
I mostly perfer English dubs because I love listening to the American accent, it just sounds awesome. I also feel a connection between the characters since I'm listening to what they're saying, instead of reading.
Dec 1, 2015 9:56 PM
Jul 2015
The reason that I love dubs, (and almost always watch them, instead of subs,) is because I can connect more to the story and the characters. It is often difficult for me to keep my full focus on subtitles, and I found myself dropping series simply because I was unable to stay focused, (I have ADHD, but I don't think that's the only reason. I've talked to others who agree with me.)
When people talk in my language, I feel like they are real. My first language is english, therefore I understand english audio, therefore I don't have to read tiny subtitles and I am able to stay focused on the deeper aspects of the show at hand. It's as simple as that.
Dec 29, 2015 7:10 PM

Dec 2015
I always watch Anime Dubbed. So that it won't be hard for me to read what they're saying.

Though I did watch One Punch Man subbed recently.
HelloimtrashDec 29, 2015 7:11 PM
Jan 1, 2016 5:19 AM

Dec 2015
Because I would like to improve my English but it's still too fast to understand it(´・3・`)
Jan 1, 2016 10:11 AM

Dec 2009
Yumehara said:
Because I would like to improve my English but it's still too fast to understand it(´・3・`)

Is your first language Japanese?
Jan 1, 2016 7:19 PM

Dec 2015
XTApocalypse said:
Yumehara said:

Yes I'm Japanese ( ・ω・)
Jan 1, 2016 7:30 PM

Jun 2015
It's what I'm used to, having watched dubbed anime since I was a kid, and (to be honest) I prefer a series with people who speak my language.
Jan 1, 2016 7:43 PM

Dec 2009
Yumehara said:
XTApocalypse said:

Yes I'm Japanese ( ・ω・)

Neat. It's interesting to have someone with an opposite perspective around the forums. :3

Does it feel like there's a big difference between English acting and Japanese acting? Is it hard to get used to?
Jan 3, 2016 5:38 PM

Oct 2013
Yumehara said:
XTApocalypse said:

Yes I'm Japanese ( ・ω・)
Even some Japanese people watch dubs...

That fact could really hurt to some of the extreme weebs out there, hehe
Jan 4, 2016 1:21 AM
Aug 2015
Personally, my reason for liking dubs is as simple as a lot of other peoples. First off, I started with dub. And secondly, I would say when I watch anime I "absorb" it, preferring to get the full sensory experience with the art and the sound meshing together instantaneously, rather than reading subtitles. I find it detracts from the experience personally. (Obviously just preference and opinion if that isn't clear)
Jan 4, 2016 1:43 AM

Oct 2013
Tridon said:
Personally, my reason for liking dubs is as simple as a lot of other peoples. First off, I started with dub. And secondly, I would say when I watch anime I "absorb" it, preferring to get the full sensory experience with the art and the sound meshing together instantaneously, rather than reading subtitles. I find it detracts from the experience personally. (Obviously just preference and opinion if that isn't clear)
Very true, for me watching dubbed (live action or anime) feels much more immersive dubbed, i liked how you used to word ''absorb'' it really drives home how i feel when watching dubs, i really absorb the experience.
Jan 22, 2016 6:27 PM
Jan 2016
I watch dubs cause I don't wanna read, unless its like a sign that got translated (I hate when dubs don't translate Japanese text tho...)
Jan 25, 2016 8:29 PM
Jan 2016
this may sound unintelligible but I simply prefer them because I want to watch something in my own language, why should I be criticized for that? I respect people who have the resolve to watch subbed anime but when I relax after a hard days work I just wanna watch anime with out having to read a whole bunch of stuff. plus in long sentences having to read the subs tends to distract from what's going on in the anime thus making it very difficult to enjoy. I don't know about everyone else but if I wanted to spend my leisure time reading id crack a book.
Mar 13, 2016 10:26 AM
Jan 2016
I always watch anime in English Dubs because I feel more immersed in the anime. :)

And I started watching anime only in Dubs so I guess I'm more used to hearing English in anime.
Haisai-sanMar 13, 2016 10:32 AM
Mar 20, 2016 8:48 AM

Apr 2014
I don't have a problem with subbed anime I just prefer dubbed anime because I don't speak Japanese :[ with dubbed anime i can leave it playing while i do work and know fully well whats going on. I've watched enough sub to understand a lot of the phrases they say but even as I write this out the Digimon season 4 dub is playing so I knwo exactly whats going on. I can't say the same if the same show was airing in Japanese :]
Mar 20, 2016 11:41 PM

Jul 2013
I really like dubs especially for like shonen or like long battle heavy shows with lots of long fights, as it lets me do other things and have it on in the background without needing my full attention, sometimes I'm busy and can't read all the subs straight so it's helpful to be able to have a dub up on one monitor while I deal with whatever else I have to do elsewhere or on my second monitor.

Some dubs are also mainly for nostalgia, like Cardcaptors(the Canadian release with all the episodes in the right order not the terrible American one that people use as the biggest reason dubs suck for some reason, like no, just America's censorship sucks) and Nanoha and that, some also I just think the voices fit a lot better, like Baccano.
Apr 10, 2016 9:23 PM

Jan 2015
My reason is mainly because I started watching anime dubs when I was watching it on TV, it's what I knew it's what I'm comfortable with. Of course there's also the fact that I hate trying to keep up with reading subtitles while watching the action on the screen, that's massively distracting... one of my biggest reasons though, I multitask when I watch TV, so if I have it on subtitles and I'm distracted by something I miss a huge chunk of story line.
May 31, 2016 12:23 PM
Sep 2015
When I first started watching anime, I watched it in English (or technically Pokémon and Digimon in Swedish [my native language], but that was long before I even knew the word anime). Why, you might ask? Well, when I started watching anime I thought it was just a regular American cartoon. I still today don't care much wether if it's cartoon or anime, since they are both simply cartoon from drifferent parts of the world.

But why do I keep watching anime? Well first of all, I don't speak Japanese nor do plan to learn it. And also, I usually think that the English voice actors do a better job and give more justice to the character. Now I'm sure it's just a habit, but sometimes I just can't deal with the Japanese voice actors. And what I really hate is when subbers say that "The English voice actors are just so bad", but that is clearly just an opinion, not a fact, and they can't just say something like that after watching only ONE EPISODE of ONE FREAKING ANIME. I think they should watch at least five Dubs before making a statement.
May 31, 2016 2:05 PM

Dec 2009
American cartoons and Japanese cartoons have very different styles of voice acting, setting aside any good or bad performances of the individuals. That much is a cultural difference, and I think it's hard for a lot of people who are used to one to accept the other. It sounds weird to them, therefore it's "bad" rather than simply using different standards.

As a voice actor I'd argue that American anime dubs have developed their own interesting sort of acting style that's somewhere between the Japanese style of cartoon acting and the American style (say, SpongeBob). None of these three forms are comparable to film acting in most cases.

Anyway, I'm sure other countries and languages have their own styles of acting for animation as well. I've never heard a Swedish dub, but it'd be interesting.
Jun 2, 2016 9:11 AM

May 2016
I'm just a lazy bastard who doesn't like reading, and likes to enjoy the show instead of reading.
Jun 8, 2016 8:12 AM
Jun 2016
I like English dubbed anime because I don't have to read subtitles. Another reason why is because in some dubbed anime, the voices sound better than the original Japanese one, like Black Butler and Hetalia (in my opinion). I don't have a problem with subtitled anime, I still watch it when there is no English dubbing.
Jun 19, 2016 10:28 PM

Jun 2016
So I can do other things than have to watch / read the subtitles fearing that I missed something.

Death Note is better in Dubbed because the voices sound much more fitting than the Japanese version.

Again, if I knew Japanese than subs are okay but since I don't then dubbed all the way.
-Lisa-
Jul 9, 2016 6:32 PM

Jan 2016
I prefer English dubs because trying to read and watch at the same time is difficult in my opinion. That's a common one though, another reason I prefer dubs is because I can more easily recognize voice actors, I know there are some stale dub actors out there, but there is some really talented voice actors out there too, like Crispin Freeman and Wendy Lee, just to name a few. My final reason, is that there are plenty of dubs that far exceed their sub counterparts. Cowboy Bebop, Golden Boy, and the Haruhi Suzumiya series are just a few I can remember off the top of my head. Dub can be great if people are willing to give it a try.
Jul 10, 2016 12:54 AM

Dec 2015
Because I can practice my English and I can understand easily since I have already watched in Japanese, I know its stories.( ✧д✧)
Jul 11, 2016 6:25 AM
Jun 2016
Ginkoart said:
Baby_Naruto said:
I like English Dubs because I dont have to read subtitles, simple as that really.

For me as well XD.

Well primarily I feel subtitles take away from the viewing experience to an extent, and I don't have to switch back and forth between what is occurring on screen and reading (unless it's subtitles featured on the opening/ending credits, but otherwise I prefer dubs).

I agree, when watching subbed I feel like I miss a lot of whats happening on-screen. It just takes away from the whole experience from me.
Jul 27, 2016 11:43 AM

Oct 2013
I like dubbed anime cuz its more interesting and entertaining that way. But subbed anime have their own way too. Now dont get me wrong, im still a DUB fan xD

Some animes arent suited for DUB so i guess i could just watch em in SUB. For example, FMA Brotherhood in DUB were great but if i talk about Little Busters, well i'd prefer SUB over DUB.

But tbh while watching in DUB it feels like you know whats going on better than you would in sub since you have to read and watch simultaneously or even pause to read it all sometimes xD.

I'm learning japanese for a while now but even so, i'd like to watch anime in DUB if i ever think about starting a new anime.

DUB <3
Sep 7, 2016 12:18 AM

Jul 2016
Not that I promote dub over sub, but I would rather focus on the art, emotion and expressions of the characters than the bottom of the screen.

The only ghost that can haunt you is your memory
Nov 10, 2016 8:20 AM

Feb 2015
The ability to just sit back, listen and watch really helps me relax and get into it. Reading the subtitles is a distraction, and being a slow reader it really takes a large portion of the enjoyable experience away. I've come to know a few of the VA and can instantly recognise them, and then I can compare them to other characters from shows i've watched and sometimes that is an enjoyable experience itself.

I also noticed that all the Anime in my favorites are actually shows that I watched in Dub (Steins;Gate, Zipang, Chobits, Spice and Wolf and Welcome to the NHK). I believe the fact that I watched these shows in Dub did actually mean I enjoyed them more than if I didn't, so that is why i'll always enjoy watching an Anime in English dub if I can, although I don't have a problem watching a subbed show if I must.
Dec 1, 2016 10:53 PM

Jul 2016
Read my signature if you want to find out lol:p
Dubbed anime is the best because you can wank without reading ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 11, 2016 4:37 AM
Apr 2015
If I'm at home then I like watching anime whilst doing other things, mainly playing on my PC. I prefer dubbed anime because it means I can actually watch the anime for what it is rather than spending lots of time having to read the words at the bottom. Plus, if I'm playing on my PC then I can play and watch/listen to the anime at the same time, without having to keep switching between my game and the anime due to not having any idea what they're talking about.

If there is an anime that can be watched either dubbed or subbed, I'd pretty much always go for dub. The only anime that I've watched a significant amount of in subbed is Naruto because I caught up with the dub and didn't want to wait for more episodes to keep getting dubbed (especially nowadays where several episodes are released at one time, but it takes months for the next bunch of them to be released), and because there were so many episodes available to watch (even if they were subbed). I now watch Naruto Shippuden as the episodes come out each week, but I still like to go back and re-watch it dubbed, some of the lengthy explanations are so much easier to understand in dubbed form.
Ninjas don't wish upon stars, they throw them.
Dec 20, 2016 11:36 PM
Apr 2016
I don't like that there is so much hate on dubs. Without dubs most of us wouldn't have been exposed to anime in the first place (in the forms of Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Speed Racer). I think it's ok to have a preference one over the other but don't just hate to hate. There are some people out there who have difficulties reading. Should they be deprived from anime? No. Plus, think about the actors who do the voice overs. Dubbing anime is a career for most of them, and for the most part they do a great job. It's not easy to dub a show or film because you need to make the dialogue fit the preexisting footage. What works on paper might not work out loud so the actors can play an extremely important part in shaping the script.

Personally I like watching dubs because I'm not always in the mood to read subtitles. I watch anime mostly after school and sometimes I am so tired (and lazy) that I just want to relax and enjoy a show without putting in too much effort. Also, like I said before a lot of the actors are amazing. Vic Mignona's performance in Ouran Highschool Host Club gives me life.

I don't only watch dubs. Some of my favorite anime are subs that I can't even imagine watching the same show dubbed in English because the Japanese actors are that good. That being said, I will still look for dubs first.
Dec 22, 2016 5:52 AM

Jul 2015
When I first started watching Anime in the 90s I didn't even know they subbed them. In fact back then we didn't even call them Anime, we called them Manga lol.

I remember watching anime like Guyver, Wind of Amnesia, Gunbuster, FOTNS... etc and loving them - I couldn't get enough of them. The only sources available to us back then was to either keep an eye out for them on TV or rent them from Blockbuster.

Later Cartoon Network started showing the likes of DBZ, Big-O and Outlaw Star which were also dubbed.

By the time the internet got fast enough to download and stream episodes I already had dubbed ingrained into my soul. I still watched subbed when no dubs were available, there used to be this site called Dattabeyo that fan subbed Naruto and Bleach - that's where I popped my subbed cherry. Never could get into them tho, coz today I'd rather wait years for an anime to be dubbed than watch it subbed.

Long live Dubbed Anime.
Dec 29, 2016 4:59 PM

Dec 2010
I'm back! Ok, I do admit that sub watching can be fun yet when the action goes too fast even if I am fully capable of catching up, the whole glory of those action scenes can be lessened if my eyes are fully glued on the subs. Yes. As with the poster above, the dubs are the only sure way to fully enjoy the shows.

XTApocalypse said:

As a voice actor I'd argue that American anime dubs have developed their own interesting sort of acting style that's somewhere between the Japanese style of cartoon acting and the American style (say, SpongeBob). None of these three forms are comparable to film acting in most cases.

Wait, you're a voice actor?
Dec 31, 2016 10:14 AM

Dec 2009
HyperCobaltMax said:
XTApocalypse said:

Not yet professional, but yes. I've done live shows, am currently contracted for an audiobook, and do an abridged series with a few friends. I've sadly yet to meet any anime actors, but I'm friends with the fellow who voiced Kessler in inFamous.
Jan 7, 2017 8:57 PM

Apr 2014
There are series that I cannot wait subtitled, especially if it's a long running series that I started watching dubbed. For example, recently, Dragon Ball Super debuted its dub and while the series has been airing for awhile, I am too used to Funimation's dub at this point to watch it in Japanese.

"Haunted by darkness... Cursed by light... I am Jyakotu."
Jan 15, 2017 3:57 PM

Dec 2010
XTApocalypse said:
HyperCobaltMax said:

Not yet professional, but yes. I've done live shows, am currently contracted for an audiobook, and do an abridged series with a few friends. I've sadly yet to meet any anime actors, but I'm friends with the fellow who voiced Kessler in inFamous.

Oh! Nice!

Anyways, the only gripes I have with dubs is with the time it takes as a whole but in general, I like it.
Apr 15, 2017 6:40 AM

Jun 2013
I like dubs cause I dont need to read anything then. Thats pretty awesome for me ^^ Cause of my eye problem Im not able to read stuff for a long periode. So one day I started to watched Dub Animes. I was suprised how good they are, much more better then die Dub Versions here in Germany. So when I see there is a dub avaible for the Anime I currently watching I prefer it over the sub version ^^
Apr 19, 2017 5:29 PM

Dec 2015
I honestly think I like the dubs (more) because it was the way I started watching anime (cartoon network/toonami) and because of the easy way of understanding it (language). Also, the voice actors play a big part in this because of the effort they put in their roles. For example, being to fully understand what they say (by hearing it), it makes me get more connected to the show and experience what the characters are going through. That said, I do watch subs also, one of the reasons being the fact is that there are animes out there that don't have a dub (and won't probably get one) and still are really appealing. But yeah, overall I prefer dubs, but I don't have any problem if an anime doesn't have one, I'm a fan and still will continue to watch them either way. (A positive note about subs, I've been able to learn little by little some japanese)
Jun 12, 2017 1:43 PM

Dec 2016
I watch dubs exclusively because i can't play video games while i'm looking at my Ipad every 5 seconds. Also, i think the voices are better suited to the characters in English, usually.
You Can Be A King Or A Streetsweeper, But Everyone Dances With The Grim Reaper.
Jun 18, 2017 3:45 PM

May 2017
I like dubs because it helps a great deal to appeal to a western audience.
The loli is for patting not for fapping
Jul 3, 2017 5:04 PM
Jan 2017
I speak and understand English so if an anime exists as a dub that's what I'm going to watch it in.

Furthermore most anime have been done pretty brilliantly so unless every dubbing company starts sucking en masse my dub love will continue unabated.
fantasynight04Jul 5, 2017 2:08 AM
Jul 12, 2017 11:21 PM
Jul 2017
The dubs may help with my English. In school I was no good in English but after watching many dubbed anime it is better. Sometimes I like the voices and bad words better in English. A good example is Black Lagoon, Revy and Dutch seem cooler dubbed.
Jul 14, 2017 12:36 PM
Jul 2017
I can easily be doing something while am watching dub and take my eyes off the screen for a while and still know whats going on in the anime. With subs i have to watch it thoroughly even though i read the subs fast while still seeing the action at the same time.
Jul 18, 2017 6:39 PM

Mar 2017
I like English dubs cuz I don't have to read subtitles. I can read subtitles if there is no dub available but I would really like it if I didn't have to read anything
Mar 2, 2018 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
I like dubs because it's easier for me to follow the story. I used to be a sub only watcher, but nowadays I find it harder to follow the subs and fully enjoy watching. I also feel like the dialogue has more of an impact when I can understand the words and the tone of words, which improves my enjoyment.

I still think japanese voice acting is better, but english dubs sound perfectly fine too.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM

» Notable 2022 Anime that didn't get Dubbed

Aan120898 - Dec 29, 2022

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
Dec 30, 2022 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.