Forum Settings
Forums

Which type of anime elitist do you find the most annoying? Old school elitist, LN/VN elitist, or Bandwagon elitist?

New
Which type of anime elistist do you find the most annoying?
Old school elitist
44.6%
LN/VN elitist
15.4%
Bandwagon elitist
40.0%
240 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Dec 5, 2015 11:41 PM

Apr 2015
This thread still going? lol

It seems casuals love talking about why they hate elitists.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Dec 6, 2015 2:07 AM

Mar 2014
And as expected, this war is still on-going

Allow me to quote myself, because I think this sums up this thread pretty well
Comic_Sans said:
One little misunderstanding and one rant post later and it's turned into a full blown subs vs dubs flamewar

Stay classy MAL
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 6, 2015 2:08 AM
Dec 2011
All of them. HxH base is the most cancer though.
Dec 6, 2015 3:01 PM

Mar 2013
OneTrueBaita said:
straggy said:
Then why do you do half the shit you did in this thread if it "doesn't matter" lmao. Nice to see you say different shit to different people.

Exactly. It doesn't matter to others. But it matters to me. And you were the one who called us out on being "elitists" and the such. So naturally, I gave you a sub's point of view, with extremes/fallacies that you were using. I'm not even going to bother quoting that post, because you can find it yourself.

What? That makes no goddamn sense, you weren't talking about other people. You said it doesn't matter to you. So which is it? Or did you just forget what you wrote?

I agree that it doesn't matter which audio one watches anime in.

You never mentioned "other people" lmao, stop acting like you did. And you are being elitist, you literally said everyone should gravitate towards subs for no reason other than you think they're superior and that subs are the only "authentic" way of watching anime, which is the snobbiest bullshit I've read in a while. And then claiming it doesn't matter if people watch dubs, like? If it doesn't matter, you wouldn't say everyone should start watching subs, nice contradictions.
Dec 6, 2015 3:08 PM

Mar 2014
I love me some unnecessary necros
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 6, 2015 3:09 PM

Jul 2015
They are all annoying but to me at least it's a toss up between old school and bandwagon. I don't see as many of them so it's not as bad but when ya do the old school are pretty annoying. The fact that you hate anime because it has better art is pretty crazy or because the "plot" when in all honesty alot of plots are more in depth,deeper today than back then. I honestly think sometimes they go overboard now with trying to make "deep" plots.

Then obviously the bandwagon are pretty much just elitist that need to feel like their better so they glomp on to certain anime and either hate on them or love them. This one annoys me the most because there the most common and no matter what they refuse to realize there is a such thing as an opinion and just because you hate something and think it's horrible doesn't mean others can't like it. It's like saying your favorite color is blue so the other person is stupid for liking red because that color sucks and that's the way it is haha.
Dec 6, 2015 3:18 PM

Nov 2011
Cody_Abbott said:
They are all annoying but to me at least it's a toss up between old school and bandwagon. I don't see as many of them so it's not as bad but when ya do the old school are pretty annoying. The fact that you hate anime because it has better art is pretty crazy or because the "plot" when in all honesty alot of plots are more in depth,deeper today than back then. I honestly think sometimes they go overboard now with trying to make "deep" plots.

Then obviously the bandwagon are pretty much just elitist that need to feel like their better so they glomp on to certain anime and either hate on them or love them. This one annoys me the most because there the most common and no matter what they refuse to realize there is a such thing as an opinion and just because you hate something and think it's horrible doesn't mean others can't like it. It's like saying your favorite color is blue so the other person is stupid for liking red because that color sucks and that's the way it is haha.

I know that this is hard to digest but some people legitimately don't like new anime art and don't think it's as pretty as older cel art.
Dec 6, 2015 5:43 PM

Mar 2013
Waifu_Strangler said:
Cody_Abbott said:

I know that this is hard to digest but some people legitimately don't like new anime art and don't think it's as pretty as older cel art.

I think cel art looks nicer because the crisper lines etc on digital art show up mistakes really vividly, even in well animated shows. I also like those old painted stills and pans they used to do, you never see effects like that anymore.

I don't think it's ttly to do with that tho, I think it's also an issue to do with CGI. CGI can be used well and sometimes is, but a lot of animes just throw it in and don't bother to attempt to make it look more seamless.
Dec 6, 2015 5:44 PM

Jul 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
Then don't enforce your views on others and constantly preach it.
Dec 6, 2015 5:54 PM

Jul 2014
The ones I'm annoyed with are the casuals that rate mainstream shounen fanboi ratings of 10. The three on the poll don't annoy me at all.
Dec 7, 2015 2:21 AM

Apr 2015
they all make me cringe.. but i guess old school anime fans because they are as annoying as those "90z keedz XDD" lol
Dec 9, 2015 3:57 PM

Aug 2014
keragamming said:
Lordwen said:
I said "say" because of you liking SnK, indeed. But it was just an example.
There are, of course. But your way to say it made you sound just like the same attitude you were critizicing, only in the other way round.

Nope. If you look at my list, although I like a lot of popular anime, I also dislike a lot of popular anime as well. I also like a lot of the anime the elitist like, but at the same time I dislike a lot of those anime as well. My list is pretty random. Which tells that my list is natural it wasn't made to look a certain way to people that view my list. and so you can't easily tell what anime or manga I would like or dislike.

While for most elitist. Their list is pretty much the same like the other elitist. The patterns in their list are predictable. Like you know the elitist anime will get high score, while most of the mainstream anime will get low score. Except anime like full metal alchemist, since its basically universally like. So it won't damage their reputation.

Basically their list looks artificial. Like it was constructed to look like that. Yea, that's a pretty close minded way to look at it. But the pattern in the elitist list are too similar. I know people can have similar taste but certainly not this accurate.

So its not really the fact that they don't like mainstream anime. It's the fact that you don't see them giving any controversial mainstream anime high score or even a decent score like a 6/10. All of them on their list so happen to be between 1-4/10 for most cases. Watches 200 episode of naruto gives it 2/10??

I completely agree with your theory , i can guess most of their ratings , and it is so similar , and they dont criticize all anime equally , they are biased towards some series .

The term elitist i dont acknowledge it . so i did not vote .
---------------------------------

Sub is always better than Dub though . Dub sucks and should be banned imo .
Dr-EyesDec 9, 2015 4:00 PM
Dec 9, 2015 4:46 PM

Jul 2013
what about those who rate everything 1 - 5
Dec 9, 2015 7:14 PM

Jan 2011
Cody_Abbott said:
The fact that you hate anime because it has better art is pretty crazy or because the "plot" when in all honesty alot of plots are more in depth,deeper today than back then.

Some are, but kids these days thinking complex = deep, you could be a genius but have 0 wisdom and life knowledge, same idea.

Older animes may appear to be "simpler", but they portray a lot deeper themes, and can impact people with the right values, and I'm talking pre-2009, thats my standard of old, we're in 2015, that's not unreasonable.

Cody_Abbott said:
I honestly think sometimes they go overboard now with trying to make "deep" plots.

Yeah deep stories don't come from tryharding like that, it comes from author's life experience and beliefs, that's why there's a lot of deep stories that ended up being shitty because it tried too hard to be deep, it was too forced. So in effect, nothing genuinely deep was created, just attempts at trying to be deep. It's gotta be natural rather than forced.

Here's an analogy about sad stores - a story where at every step of the way you can feel the author poking and asking "did you cry now? now?", would you find that sad? I sure wouldn't be a heck of a lot of casual fans/younger audience would.

Cody_Abbott said:

I doubt many people are against other people liking anime they don't like. You see, a lot of the hate actually does stem from casual fans describing why they think an anime is good except with all the wrong reasons, or very flawed/subjective reasons at least. When you say you LIKE an anime, you can list whatever the fuck reason you want. When you say you think an anime is GOOD or BETTER than some other anime, then you need at least try to make sense but some people are very ignorant.

I'm not picking on you, it's just what you say makes a lot of what I feel are MAL's misconceptions.
Dec 9, 2015 7:41 PM

Jul 2015
Cody_Abbott said:
I don't see as many of them so it's not as bad but when ya do the old school are pretty annoying. The fact that you hate anime because it has better art is pretty crazy or because the "plot" when in all honesty alot of plots are more in depth,deeper today than back then. I honestly think sometimes they go overboard now with trying to make "deep" plots.

That would be a fun post if you weren't dead serious about those absolutely ridiculous and baseless assumptions. There's really no diplomatic way to say it so here I go: This is a big pile of bullshit, made even worse by the fact that I failed to find anything pre 2000 in your list (aside from OP and Digimon... 1999). Watch the new Dragon Ball and Akira, and tell me again that new anime have better art and a deeper plot.

Seriously tell me it's a joke.

mayukachan said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
Then don't enforce your views on others and constantly preach it.

Seemed like a totally undeserved harsh comment here considering the context, Mayuka.
DeathkoDec 9, 2015 7:52 PM
Dec 11, 2015 10:34 AM

Jun 2014
pparaply said:
I agree with this too, 5 is only average and 4 is below average so why the hell are you watching anime if you think all of it is bad/mediocre?
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.
Dec 11, 2015 10:49 AM
Mar 2014
arms98 said:
pparaply said:
I agree with this too, 5 is only average and 4 is below average so why the hell are you watching anime if you think all of it is bad/mediocre?

well
some people use kind of a hierarchy system, where the 10s are what they think is the best they've watched, 9s are right below them, 8s are right below the 9s etc. so they kind of end up giving a lot of things really low scores.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Dec 11, 2015 11:16 AM

Mar 2014
arms98 said:
pparaply said:
Not everyone rates solely based on enjoyment

You can enjoy something but still think it was shit

E.g. I watch a lot of shitty Chinese cartoons just so that I can laugh at how terrible they are
Nico- said:
Dec 11, 2015 11:18 AM

Jul 2015
Comic_Sans said:

Are you thinking about Tokyo Ghoul?
Dec 11, 2015 11:19 AM

Dec 2013
VN-fags obviously
Dec 11, 2015 11:19 AM

Mar 2014
Clebardman said:
Comic_Sans said:

NO
Nico- said:
Dec 11, 2015 11:43 AM

Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:
Clebardman said:

NO

Too late

Dec 11, 2015 11:45 AM

Jul 2015
^I really like that for some reason. Seems more fun than the usual shit-flinging.
Jul 2015
Moe/Ecchi/Loli elitists.

Yes, they do exist, unfortunately.
hi

Apr 2013
Clebardman said:
^I really like that for some reason. Seems more fun than the usual shit-flinging.

Everyone loves the truth.
Dec 11, 2015 11:46 AM

Jul 2015
Buo said:
Moe/Ecchi/Loli elitists.

That's disgusting. Those people have shit taste, there's an obvious lack of yuri in that list of genres.
Dec 11, 2015 11:46 AM
Feb 2014
Buo said:
Moe/Ecchi/Loli elitists.

Dec 11, 2015 11:47 AM

May 2015
Don't really care, because i try to avoid them as much as possible and don not red anything they write, because if something is different than in manga, light novel or whatever, they will never stop complaining even when the show is epic
Dec 11, 2015 11:48 AM
Jul 2015
Clebardman said:
Buo said:
Moe/Ecchi/Loli elitists.

That's disgusting. Those people have shit taste, there's an obvious lack of yuri in that list of genres.

I have nothing against Yuri though.

hi
Dec 11, 2015 11:49 AM
Mar 2014
hoopla123 said:
Comic_Sans said:
NO

Too late

lmfao
best one yet
Rinth said:

Dec 11, 2015 11:53 AM

Apr 2012
For me it's the LN/VN elitists because they are always the most aggressive on forums. I just feel like I hardly ever see them have any form of civilized agreement without resorting to insulting the person and their taste in anime. As well as dismissing them entirely because no one else besides them can know anything on the subject right?
Dec 11, 2015 11:55 AM
Mar 2014
Sarahtoga104 said:
For me it's the LN/VN elitists because they are always the most aggressive on forums. I just feel like I hardly ever see them have any form of civilized agreement without resorting to insulting the person and their taste in anime. As well as dismissing them entirely because no one else besides them can know anything on the subject right?

right
read the vn or get out pleb
Rinth said:

Dec 11, 2015 11:56 AM
Feb 2014
omfgplzstop said:
Sarahtoga104 said:

right
read the vn or get out pleb

or never watch anime adaptations from front wing via 8bit or get btfo by the secondaries
Dec 11, 2015 12:01 PM
Mar 2014
you dont watch anime adaptations of vns period
first read the vn if it interests you, then watch
steins;gate and white album 2 are pretty much the only examples i know of anime that are good adaptations of their VN sources, and white album only covers the prologue
Rinth said:

Dec 11, 2015 12:05 PM
Jan 2014
Netouyo said:
Old school anime elitists are the ones who brags about how superior 80s, 90s, early 00s anime are and they usually like anime such as Jojo, LoGH, Monster, Bastard, FoTNS, etc.

Then there is the LN/VN anime elitists who looks down on fans who never read or watched the light novel or visual novel the anime is based on and usually criticize anime studios.

Lastly there is the Bandwagon anime elitist that you commonly see on MAL, the type of people who watches anime for the "plot". They tend to base their opinion on what the other elitists thinks. Also dismiss any moe, ecchi, harem anime even without watching it.

Then there's always Elitists like "Netouyo".

He's really annoying. He thinks he isn't, we won't tell him, right?
Dec 11, 2015 12:06 PM
Mar 2014
KD7BWB said:
Netouyo said:
Old school anime elitists are the ones who brags about how superior 80s, 90s, early 00s anime are and they usually like anime such as Jojo, LoGH, Monster, Bastard, FoTNS, etc.

Then there is the LN/VN anime elitists who looks down on fans who never read or watched the light novel or visual novel the anime is based on and usually criticize anime studios.

Lastly there is the Bandwagon anime elitist that you commonly see on MAL, the type of people who watches anime for the "plot". They tend to base their opinion on what the other elitists thinks. Also dismiss any moe, ecchi, harem anime even without watching it.

?????????????????????????
Rinth said:

Dec 11, 2015 12:06 PM
Feb 2014
KD7BWB said:
Netouyo said:

and you're reinforcing what he pretty much said tbh
Dec 12, 2015 3:23 PM

Jan 2010
Thread Locked

With regards to the Anime/Manga Discussion Rules, this topic does fall under the "xx vs. yy," but it has generated some discussion amidst varying levels of baiting and trolling. Still, this topic has run its course, and it's thusly locked to prevent further baiting and trolling.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1023 by ThijsF »»
3 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

27 by liveleaked »»
8 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - May 12

30 by liveleaked »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - 5 hours ago

15 by logopolis »»
9 minutes ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - 12 minutes ago

0 by Gashadokur0 »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.