Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2014 2:32 AM

Aug 2012
Now that is an intense game of chess.
Apr 24, 2014 2:45 AM

Dec 2013
Awesome episode! The start really reminded me of ace attourney. Even the music reminded me of it and that chess game is the greatest chess game I have ever seen. Can't wait for the next episode 5/5
Apr 24, 2014 2:47 AM
Dec 2012
idungoof said:
pacify said:
Its only not logical if you actually thought it was a game of chess.

its wasn't. It was a game to show who had the greater charisma and control of their troops, which the fake queen got by using elven magic, and Shiro over turned by doing his hilarious speech/using the power of Moe and wooing the queen.

You are absolutely getting carried away in your own entertainment to understand what people who are commenting on the reverse of this are really saying. We aren't so stupid as to think that it's a normal game of chess and blah blah blah. That isn't the point. The point is that when he commanded the troops he did it in an absolutely comedic and ridiculous way. I don't think real troops would respond positively to the crap that was spilling out of his mouth, but because that's the reaction that was required from them they ended up reacting positively. When I was watching I EXPECTED him to make a speech. I didn't, however, expect it to be completely and utterly ridiculous and written purely for comedic value. Understand?

From my earlier post - the probable and rational reasoning behind the speech.

gamer5 said:
Sora, to turn the tide of battle in his favor he held a speech - the first sentence after the "Attention all forces!" in which he promises each of his men a woman of their choosing was an attention gatherer and at the same time a throw off - his opponent was surprised. Then he used the real things, the things that actually make people fight - money, promise of never going to war again and an easy life - to make his figures have high morale and willingness to listen to him. Then he used the natural desire to protect weak living things using Shiro, a child, - tell me how much people, excluding pathological cases, will not help a crying child? - with a spice of giving them guilt for making her cry, to mobilize them into an all out assault against his opponent.
Apr 24, 2014 2:59 AM

Nov 2012
This episode successfully made my day, I laughed so much that my stomach hurts.
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Apr 24, 2014 3:01 AM

Jul 2011
That's the perfect example to how to play chess.
Apr 24, 2014 3:02 AM

Dec 2013
idungoof said:
pacify said:

its wasn't. It was a game to show who had the greater charisma and control of their troops, which the fake queen got by using elven magic, and Shiro over turned by doing his hilarious speech/using the power of Moe and wooing the queen.

You are absolutely getting carried away in your own entertainment to understand what people who are commenting on the reverse of this are really saying. We aren't so stupid as to think that it's a normal game of chess and blah blah blah. That isn't the point. The point is that when he commanded the troops he did it in an absolutely comedic and ridiculous way. I don't think real troops would respond positively to the crap that was spilling out of his mouth, but because that's the reaction that was required from them they ended up reacting positively. When I was watching I EXPECTED him to make a speech. I didn't, however, expect it to be completely and utterly ridiculous and written purely for comedic value. Understand?

What the fuck where you expecting from an anime tagged comedy?
Apr 24, 2014 3:37 AM
Feb 2014
idungoof said:
pacify said:

And exactly that is the point...you have to watch past the comedy and not just close your ears after hearing it ;-)

As gamer5 has explained everything Sora said did he say with a clear purpose in mind. The whole "you may bang any woman you like" was an attention gatherer and at the same time helped to mask what he was about to do. What he sprouts out may seem like crap but he uses that approach so that Clammy could not get a hang on his plan.

So the comedy serves a clear purpose, which is something you lot complaining are not getting and that is why some people are saying you should stop looking at it like a chess game.

This anime is clearly not dead serious but it doesn't mean that Sora is only playing around; I mean you even heard his thoughts after convincing the queen to defect, where he was utterly stuck and you still think that was for pure comedic value?
Apr 24, 2014 4:31 AM

Jan 2011
I've been playing Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for the past 2 days so guess how I reacted to the 'objection' scene right after the OP. I fangasmed like there was no tomorrow OMG!!!! xDDD I fucking loved that Phoenix Wright reference SO MUCH. Even the judge looks like the judge from the Phoenix Wright games. Sora saying 'objection' was hilarious too and the iconic speech bubble appearing was just way too awesome. Oh my goodness, even the music/tempo was reminiscent to the Phoenix Wright games. <333

As for the actual episode, this was REALLY good yet funny too. An amazing game of chess. Sora and Shiro work so well together, such badasses. I laughed so hard when Sora started motivating the chess pieces by the power of 'cuteness'. xD Shiro saying 'daijoubu' was way tooooo cuteeeeee! :DD My goodness, No Game No Life is definitely my favourite anime this season. It's way too entertaining. Also, the Jojo reference is funny too. :P
5/5
Apr 24, 2014 4:48 AM

Dec 2013
Shiro and Sora are just too awesome of a sibling combo to ever be broken apart. xD
This episode only served to solidify their bond even more! This must have a season 2!
Hi!
Apr 24, 2014 4:53 AM

Jun 2012
OBJECTION!
EL. PHY. CONGROO.

Apr 24, 2014 5:43 AM
Feb 2014
The pieces changed colour in front of his eyes yet she was shocked that he found out it was brainwashing.

I'm hating on the idea of using magic to cheat, i was expecting sleight of hand and what not.

Since these chess pieces don't use guns or any modern day weapons, they are most likely from the medieval or an early point in time thus having a lower IQ or lack common sense or will be more instinctive. Basically if they were given the chance to screw a dame they will. To say that they wouldn't is just poppycock and idiotic.

Therefore..... Why would expect this anime to be serious GOSH
I only read books i have already read
Apr 24, 2014 6:01 AM

Dec 2013
Best anime title of the season for sure.
How can you not love this series? It's got everything!
Hat-tips to Jojo and Phoenix Wright, Wars fought for Loli's, Chess games where you have to play like an RTS + Dating Sim, world-winning little sisters, ditzy dumb princesses, cute elves, an antagonist that looks almost as good as a Galge character.

I can't get enough of this. I need episode 4 NAO!!!!!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 24, 2014 6:07 AM

Jul 2008
I was hoping the winner is decided by the end of the episode because the battle was so entertaining but oh well, 2 episodes would do fine :)

Like some people here, Stephanie's ignorance thoughout the entire episode was irritating, she could at least put more effort into thinking >.< if she keeps this up then it will affect me till the end of the series, just too distracting :(

But for Clammy who has to cheat everytime to win shows how pathetic she is and with that reason, I'll definitely enjoy watching Shiro and Sora taking the win and bring her ego down to where it belongs :D
Apr 24, 2014 6:19 AM

Jun 2011
Best game of chess ever!
Apr 24, 2014 6:30 AM
Apr 2014
sorry for my bad grammar, English is not my native language :)
so some of you think that this episode is pure stupid and have no mind game?

OBJECTION!

First I would say, everything Sora tried to do has been planned before the episode. When he meet Zell, he use his phone and taking picture of her when pointing out how she cheated, so that she will think his phone is "a device belong to another race that can detect magic". This make her scare to do any OP magic and use them carefully.
Zell also explain the rule of the game as "every unit have it own will". In the first turn of the game, when Zell command her pawn to go 3 step in a turn, you should have realize that this is not a chess game, but a stragety game on a chessboard. Everything gone randomly and ridiculous? You guy are ridiculous when not realize that sooner. Try to think out of the box, guy. They even use the phone to bait Zell into their move, which you will see in the next episode (I don't want to spoil but the details Shiro use the phone to bait Zell is new, so I think MadHouse had an pretty good adaption on this).
If you want even MOOORE mind game, then wait until the game with Jibril (with I guest will be at episode 6 or7), that will be a total mind blowing game :) Don't just judge this anime when the "first boss" is not even finished

@idungoof: Also as gamer5 has said, Sora really understand people heart and have a godlike speechcraft. And you said that: "real troops would not respond positively to the crap that was spilling out of his mouth", "it is completely and utterly ridiculous and written purely for comedic value". I don't even understand how you think. Yes he did said somethink SEEM to be stupid like "you can bang any women you like", but THIS IS MEDIAVAL GUYS. It's just a simple tactics to grab soidiers attention. Next he promise about supporting their live, about money and tax and stuff. He rally their morale by remind them of their family, their lover at home which is a CLIMAX in ANY speech before the battle. He said "LOOK AS SHIRO, LOOK AT YOUR LEADER. DONT YOU SEE HOW SHE HAVE CRIED WHEN YOU ABANDON HER? DONT YOU SEE THAT SHE WAS WILLING TO HAVE HER HEART BROKEN TO COMMAND YOU TO SACRIFICE? YOU FIGHT FOR YOUR OWN JUSTICE BUT YOU LET A PITIFUL CHILD CRYING?" If you still think his speech is ridiculous then

DO YOU EVEN CALL URSELF A MAN???
mdragonminhApr 24, 2014 6:36 AM
Apr 24, 2014 6:52 AM

Apr 2014
mdragonminh said:
@idungoof: Also as gamer5 has said, Sora really understand people heart and have a godlike speechcraft. And you said that: "real troops would not respond positively to the crap that was spilling out of his mouth", "it is completely and utterly ridiculous and written purely for comedic value". I don't even understand how you think. Yes he did said somethink SEEM to be stupid like "you can bang any women you like", but THIS IS MEDIAVAL GUYS. It's just a simple tactics to grab soidiers attention. Next he promise about supporting their live, about money and tax and stuff. He rally their morale by remind them of their family, their lover at home which is a CLIMAX in ANY speech before the battle. He said "LOOK AS SHIRO, LOOK AT YOUR LEADER. DONT YOU SEE HOW SHE HAVE CRIED WHEN YOU ABANDON HER? DONT YOU SEE THAT SHE WAS WILLING TO HAVE HER HEART BROKEN TO COMMAND YOU TO SACRIFICE? YOU FIGHT FOR YOUR OWN JUSTICE BUT YOU LET A PITIFUL CHILD CRYING?" If you still think his speech is ridiculous then

DO YOU EVEN CALL URSELF A MAN???

Even the bit about cuteness? That moment could have gone 2 ways, he could make an impassioned speech that is still serious but far more meaningful, or he can take the comedic route and test the viewers willing suspension of disbelief. It went the comedic route, that's all I'm saying, and this was against my general expectations for the anime. Cool your jets there, hotshot. Also the part where he jumped onto the board to stop the queen and then patted himself on the back for being better at romance sims was a pretty serious test of my endurance as well.

Anon1409 said:
What the fuck where you expecting from an anime tagged comedy?

Hopefully you are aware that comedy exists on a multitude of levels and a comedy tag does not necessarily mean that "we will take a situation where we could have serious outcomes, actions and consequences and instead inject completely blatant and ridiculous humour into these moments at every opportunity for cheap entertainment value". If you are aware of that you should automatically understand how stupid your comment is. If not, then ok, things should only be tagged comedy if they completely ignore any other possibility at every possible turning point and just be blatantly stupid and completely and utterly ridiculous. Because that's what comedy means. Right?
idungoofApr 24, 2014 6:57 AM
Apr 24, 2014 6:55 AM

Jan 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
AlexGK said:
Blackbird said:
This chess game was hilarious and fun. :D

Thats what anime does to chess :D
I personally didnt like it though.

As the show said it wasn't really chess, it was a battle arranged to look like chess.

The fun thing about this episode is that while people talk about the tactics of the Spartans or Alexander, it wasn't their tactics so much that won their battles, it was either their discipline (Sparta/Alexander) or their passion (Rome). So Sora was quite right in understanding that once the enemy Girl gave the pieces "will", he had to inspire them to fight, because all she was doing was using force. And just like what helped Napoleon will many of his battles, the French soldiers were fighting for their home land, the other countries were fighting for pay (this changed after Napoleon dominated their defeated countries and they formed national armies to fight).

Now of course the "cute" angle was overplayed for comedy value (and well played), and Sora's list of reasons to fight weren't exactly what motivates people, again for the modern age and in a Japan that has just seen their consumption tax doubled, it does make a relatively good bit of history and a fun story.

And the queen deploying chivalry to convert the knight was a nice touch.

Other thoughts:
Wonder what their favorite 3 quotes are.
Wonder why the JoJo author is letting them do this, generally they only do this with friends.

Lol at Roman's winning battles using practice.

They won using the worlds first professional military. They one using Phalanx walls. They won using the worlds most advanced military technology.

They didnt win using fucking passion.
Apr 24, 2014 7:18 AM

Feb 2012
Great episode. :) Pretty funny tooooooooooo

Apr 24, 2014 7:24 AM

Oct 2011
SolviteSekai said:

Lol at Roman's winning battles using practice.

They won using the worlds first professional military. They won using Phalanx walls. They won using the worlds most advanced military technology.

They didnt win using fucking passion.

Funny how that's also the very reason they collapsed in the end.
Apr 24, 2014 7:52 AM
Apr 2014
@idungoof: The "cuteness" part has been explained in the novel so i won't talk much about it, but I think the part when Sora jump out to persuade the enemy queen is BETTER in this way. Yep this scene is just pure comedy and you can find it more convincing in the novel version. But this is an anime, you can't ask them to explain every detail. It's suppose to be relaxing, make people feel comfortable and enjoy watch it, which they have success. It don't have any big impact on the storyline so don't think too much, just understand that Sora use his speechcraft to win over the Queen heart and persuade her to join his army.
I don't agree when you say "the comedic route test the viewers willing suspension of disbelief" as I and many of people here enjoy that "route". If you want to find a SERIOUSLY mind game that have NO comedy then sorry, this is not your type.
Apr 24, 2014 7:53 AM

May 2008
more JoJo references <333
Apr 24, 2014 7:54 AM

May 2013
Good thing i tried this series

Use the queens's beauty and shiro's cuteness to turn thinks around :D
Apr 24, 2014 8:04 AM

Dec 2012
Wow
Such game
Such speech
Much references
So cute
Nice episoed
Can't wait
FoLieADeUxApr 24, 2014 8:07 AM
Apr 24, 2014 8:07 AM

Apr 2014
mdragonminh said:
@idungoof: The "cuteness" part has been explained in the novel so i won't talk much about it, but I think the part when Sora jump out to persuade the enemy queen is BETTER in this way. Yep this scene is just pure comedy and you can find it more convincing in the novel version. But this is an anime, you can't ask them to explain every detail. It's suppose to be relaxing, make people feel comfortable and enjoy watch it, which they have success. It don't have any big impact on the storyline so don't think too much, just understand that Sora use his speechcraft to win over the Queen heart and persuade her to join his army.
I don't agree when you say "the comedic route test the viewers willing suspension of disbelief" as I and many of people here enjoy that "route". If you want to find a SERIOUSLY mind game that have NO comedy then sorry, this is not your type.

If I cared that it had comedy I wouldn't have reached episode 3. I thought that was fairly obvious. As I explained in my first post this anime gave me the impression that comedic plays wouldn't become an integral part of the outcome of the games themselves. I'm now fully aware that this is not the case and I find that somewhat disappointing as I had some hopes for NGNL. I'll probably watch it through because it's still better than a lot of the other crap that I'm sort of watching but I can't help but feel that a chance to make something great has been missed.
Apr 24, 2014 8:17 AM

Mar 2014
I think they should finish the chess game in this episode.
Apr 24, 2014 8:24 AM
Oct 2012
idungoof said:
Even the bit about cuteness? That moment could have gone 2 ways, he could make an impassioned speech that is still serious but far more meaningful, or he can take the comedic route and test the viewers willing suspension of disbelief. It went the comedic route, that's all I'm saying

May I offer up an old Piedmont expression for your benefit: "pull the cork".

You're not saying anything. This is a world where a god has made every decision a game and then created "rules" that are made to be broken, and you are talking about how "they should be serious". I bet you watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail and complain that they didn't understand what "air/speed velocity" was in the middle ages or that they didn't have police cars either.

Your complaints are nonsensical, the fault lies with your inability to comprehend the worldview of this show, not with anything in this show. You are obviously too narrow minded to appreciate anything that doesn't fit your 2x4 inch worldview.
Apr 24, 2014 8:31 AM
Apr 2014
idungoof said:
mdragonminh said:

If I cared that it had comedy I wouldn't have reached episode 3. I thought that was fairly obvious. As I explained in my first post this anime gave me the impression that comedic plays wouldn't become an integral part of the outcome of the games themselves. I'm now fully aware that this is not the case and I find that somewhat disappointing as I had some hopes for NGNL. I'll probably watch it through because it's still better than a lot of the other crap that I'm sort of watching but I can't help but feel that a chance to make something great has been missed.

It is NOT an integral part of the outcome of the games themselves man :D Even the part when Sora talking about "cuteness" is just him talking with Zell so his speech with the soidier is pure epic and reasonable.
And yep, if you scare of the comedy have any effect to the out come of the game then don't worry, I can guarantee that any action the MC take that have affection to the story will have it own reason (or at least it is in the novel, hope they won't cut too much -_-)
Apr 24, 2014 8:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
that was the most epic chess game EVER

man this series is amazing lol
Apr 24, 2014 8:56 AM

Apr 2014
awesome ep!!
I hope the rest of show will be like that
Apr 24, 2014 8:57 AM

May 2013
oh my godness, this is a AWESOME show

i was so enchanted by this show and didnt even finge 5/5
Apr 24, 2014 9:04 AM
Jul 2012
kuuurt said:
AOTS
LOLI OF THE YEAR
AOTY

I'm really liking this series so far.

Love the characters. Love the setting. Love the story. Love the animation and audio. And definitely love the thought and effort put into this show.

Probably right about the loli of the year =P

Definitely the anime of this season. We don't know about the rest of the year, cuz we have more than half to go. I personally think Ufotable's Fate/Stat Night will be the anime of the year. But that's besides the point. This is top-notch.
Apr 24, 2014 9:16 AM
Dec 2012
idungoof said:
Even the bit about cuteness? That moment could have gone 2 ways, he could make an impassioned speech that is still serious but far more meaningful, or he can take the comedic route and test the viewers willing suspension of disbelief. It went the comedic route, that's all I'm saying, and this was against my general expectations for the anime. Cool your jets there, hotshot. Also the part where he jumped onto the board to stop the queen and then patted himself on the back for being better at romance sims was a pretty serious test of my endurance as well.

Hopefully you are aware that comedy exists on a multitude of levels and a comedy tag does not necessarily mean that "we will take a situation where we could have serious outcomes, actions and consequences and instead inject completely blatant and ridiculous humour into these moments at every opportunity for cheap entertainment value". If you are aware of that you should automatically understand how stupid your comment is. If not, then ok, things should only be tagged comedy if they completely ignore any other possibility at every possible turning point and just be blatantly stupid and completely and utterly ridiculous. Because that's what comedy means. Right?

As for the cuteness part - that is explained in the light novel (Vol 1, Chapter 3, Part 3) - unfortunately the explanation given by Sora - in his toughs is not put into the anime - making it see a lot less realistic. In the LN it all makes perfect sense - but in the anime, due to the time constrain of a single episode, they have to remove details which might show some of Sora's actions in a different light.

As for the comedy thing - you are right but don't be so harsh to people. Take example - not even one of my post, until this was, was directed at you directly nor I insulted you - instead I put my arguments in front of you - sane and realistic ones you have to admit - and showed where were you making a mistake.

Takuan_Soho that goes the same for you - don't think that just because someone didn't like the way that NGNL went at that point is enough to call someone narrowminded. It would be like calling me narrowminded for not wanting to even smell near yaoi while at the same time I ready pretty much every genre a manga can have - even hentai manga. You can't say that you know idungoof good enough to surely say that he is narrowminded - if you knew him for years as close friends or family you cloud say this with certainty - few forum posts are not enough to get to know someone good enough to make conclusions about ones personality.
Apr 24, 2014 9:18 AM

Jan 2014
So amazing! Love it! The best anime of this season in my opinion.
Apr 24, 2014 9:20 AM

Apr 2013
This was plain boring even though there was a few funny scenes. It gave me an headache.
Apr 24, 2014 9:22 AM

Oct 2011
Goosebumps all over my body. SO EPIC dat chess game!!!! Cliffhanger NOOOO!!!

Cuteness rules the world YAY!!!
Apr 24, 2014 9:27 AM

May 2012
That was so hilarious and epic! I've never thought that chess game can be so exciting.

The best anime of spring season without doubt.
Apr 24, 2014 9:30 AM
Oct 2012
gamer5 said:
Takuan_Soho that goes the same for you - don't think that just because someone didn't like the way that NGNL went at that point is enough to call someone narrowminded. It would be like calling me narrowminded for not wanting to even smell near yaoi.

The premise of this show was established the first episode, we are at the third episode. Also, if he had said "I didn't find it funny", that would have been fine, tastes differ.

There is nothing wrong with not liking something. If you don't like Yaoi, then don't watch Yaoi. Nothing wrong or narrow minded about that. Or if the show didn't suggest Yaoi and dropped it in unannounced, then nothing wrong with saying, "this isn't my taste, I'm leaving." That isn't being narrow-minded either.

But this show was listed as a comedy from the beginning, it established the this world is absurd (in a good way) in the first episode, so to still be complaining after 3 episodes that it used comedy instead of "seriousness" does express a certain narrow minded attitude. He is basically demanding that this show be what HE wants and is complaining ad nauseum about it not being what he wanted. That is the quintessential essence of being narrow-minded.
Apr 24, 2014 9:45 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Looks like the author is mostly interested for the comedy aspect, sadly.
Apr 24, 2014 9:53 AM
Jun 2012
ichii_1 said:
Helpme said:
Takuan_Soho said:

1) People were expecting a more psychological battle through games, similar to "the Liar's Game."

I think that, given the shows name and description, people are entitled to have expected it to be more about games.

This is a psychological battle if can't understand it it's your problem.
The pieces had a conscious so they're influenced by everything you say and do, Shiro was heartless so they didn't follow her but Sora was better than Zell in leadership and heart so the other side defected, remember this isn't a chess game.

I presume English isn't your native language, since that has nothing to do with what I wrote. Or perhaps you quoted the wrong person?
HelpmeApr 24, 2014 10:03 AM
Apr 24, 2014 10:04 AM

Aug 2012
Ugh, Shiro is so cute <3 Ai Kayano is purrrrfect as her seiyuu. One of the best loli. And another hilarious JoJo reference, damn i love this series!

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Apr 24, 2014 10:13 AM
Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
gamer5 said:
Takuan_Soho that goes the same for you - don't think that just because someone didn't like the way that NGNL went at that point is enough to call someone narrowminded. It would be like calling me narrowminded for not wanting to even smell near yaoi.

The premise of this show was established the first episode, we are at the third episode. Also, if he had said "I didn't find it funny", that would have been fine, tastes differ.

There is nothing wrong with not liking something. If you don't like Yaoi, then don't watch Yaoi. Nothing wrong or narrow minded about that. Or if the show didn't suggest Yaoi and dropped it in unannounced, then nothing wrong with saying, "this isn't my taste, I'm leaving." That isn't being narrow-minded either.

But this show was listed as a comedy from the beginning, it established the this world is absurd (in a good way) in the first episode, so to still be complaining after 3 episodes that it used comedy instead of "seriousness" does express a certain narrow minded attitude. He is basically demanding that this show be what HE wants and is complaining ad nauseum about it not being what he wanted. That is the quintessential essence of being narrow-minded.

Being narrow-minded suggests that one is closed to new ideas, always follows only his own mind - never trying anything new, always attacking those with a different opinion and never backing up even when proved different - it is a personality trait which can't not be said to be provable by a few forum post about not liking something - all you know he cloud be the strongest supporter of new social ideas in his area making him a pretty open-minded person in reality. You cloud have said that his post sounds narrow-minded but you never cloud, without knowing him well, say that his personality is narrow minded.

Also it was not that he attacked the whole series - he just voiced his discontent with the way that the comedy was put into the fights trough games. I then listed arguments which prove the fact that the comedy is probably a serious attempt to confuse his enemy and the whole "chess-themed" battle is actually, when you take a good look, pretty serious, just hidden under the references and to much going on the screen so fast that all you can do is LOL at him royal owning her with a single speech.

And the world is not absurd - it is the main characters that are nothing but completely NOT normal and they make NGNL silly. Otherwise the world is pretty serious, replacing violence with games to solve conflicts is not something that removes seriousness from a world - but since Sora and Shiro are unbeatable at games and have a big lump of not-caring-at-all for what happens to others they are having a blast having fun in this world run by games - and since they are Otakus to the bone that means they are going to be as silly as only an Otaku can get.

He never demanded the show to be what he wants - again he just voiced his discontent with a single thing in the whole episode while you are making him sound like someone who he is not. As for all his post after voicing his discontent with a single point in the episode - he was trying to defend his point but as it is clear as day that the point was defeated - like a stone tower brought down by cannon fire - by my arguments which revealed how serious is the chess-themed game actually.
Apr 24, 2014 10:19 AM

Jan 2013
Boombawks said:
It was good, but I found the chess match rather cheesy.. got silly.
And after 3 episodes, I am actually having sort of an sore eye for the colors in this series....Kinda looks like someone threw a colorful panting in water for a wash.

Yeah the colors got old quick.
Apr 24, 2014 11:14 AM

Oct 2007
Lol MAL is just absolutely floored by this show. Its kind of amusing seeing some of these hyperbolic reactions. For me its like the quintessential 3/5 show this season. The production values are pretty good but content wise its really nothing I haven't seen before nor is their any area where it particularly excels. It seems like one of those light novel based shows you get every season that peaks really early and then you realize its pretty much already exhausted the limit of its premise, in this case loudmouth NEET gets to live out a fantasy life where everything he's spent his time on makes him the shit. Again maybe if its anything I hadn't seen before or at the very least presented in a more interesting light and the game aspect was more than just a means to an end this would be better.
PeacingOutApr 24, 2014 11:26 AM
Apr 24, 2014 11:25 AM

Apr 2014
This ep was awesome! This is how chess should always be. The Objection! part was really funny. I love when they parody other stuff here.
Apr 24, 2014 11:52 AM
May 2011
Funny to see the reactions when you say something bad about the show. Let's be clear here:
- if you take the show as a mindgame show, then it's bad
- if you take the show as a comedy, it's extremely cliché and not funny. I haven't seen that many comedy shows, but all of them were way better than this. So it's not use giving the "it's supposed to be a comedy" argument. Even as one, this episode was still terrible.
Apr 24, 2014 11:56 AM

Dec 2010
Loved that phoenix wright reference
Apr 24, 2014 12:08 PM
Mar 2014
Or if you take it as a ridiculous, awesome, and over-the-top unholy geek gamer child of Code Geass (because fuck yeah, Sora) and TTGL (because fuck yeah, humanity kicking ass), then it's 10/10 Wednesday is officially my favorite day of the week now.
Apr 24, 2014 12:27 PM

Jun 2011
Hilarious how they turned chess into an actual battle where morale matters as much as dexterity.
Apr 24, 2014 12:38 PM

Oct 2007
elfos said:
Funny to see the reactions when you say something bad about the show. Let's be clear here:
- if you take the show as a mindgame show, then it's bad
- if you take the show as a comedy, it's extremely cliché and not funny. I haven't seen that many comedy shows, but all of them were way better than this. So it's not use giving the "it's supposed to be a comedy" argument. Even as one, this episode was still terrible.

I wouldn't say flat out terrible. It's absolutely not about clever games, this episode established that quite clearly so I don't even think there's much point in addressing that. I got some chuckles here and there amidst a lot of groaners and just comedic attempts that seemed aimed at an audience with totally different sensibilities, but whatever it is that seems to have people dropping to their knees in near revelatory fervor I'm not seeing it. There's just so little hear comedy wise that I haven't seen done in practically every wacky otaku comedy show in recent memory. You've got the Jojo references, the Phoenix Wright references, the references to Akiba and Moe culture, the wacky poses, the screaming loudly and passionately about stupid shit. It's just pretty straight average otaku reference/wank comedy stuff so far with a really loose premise that is merely a means to achieving that end. It might as well be called No Game Same Jokes for all the good it does with the game aspect of things.
Apr 24, 2014 1:59 PM

Apr 2009
As someone who actually loves and respects chess I am offended by this stupid otaku pulp fiction.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One decade later and still no Season 2

JustSomeone15 - May 16

44 by namazuFish »»
May 21, 1:46 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.